Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    lotus18lotus18 Member Posts: 37
    I am also waiting for the evergreen EX-L but with navigation instead of the RES. I have been wondering if green looks as good as the red. How do you like your green van? Can you tell me what made you to choose green over all others,
    especially the red ? I ask this question because from what I have read so far, red is the most favorable new color and green seems to be in the bottom of the list.
    Do you have pictures to share with us?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Anthony, there are a number of dealers at MSRP, you have to go through the fleet or internet departments to find them.
  • Options
    misterjohnnymisterjohnny Member Posts: 41
    try Weseloh in San Juan Cap., Metro, or Nelson. There are others too, they just don't want to be known as dealers who will sell at MSRP. They want the walk-in buyer to pay the 2000 over that is listed on the sticker. Whatever you do, stay away from Scott Robinson Honda in Torrance.
  • Options
    scorpion3scorpion3 Member Posts: 5
    I wouldn't buy it from Metro Honda. See my post from "Honda Odyssey" message # 3537. I just picked up my 2002 SS EXL from Spreen Honda (Loma Linda) last week. I paid MSRP. Ask for Veronica Carr.
  • Options
    dinh_henrydinh_henry Member Posts: 19
    Would any one know which dealer in Dallas, TX is selling '02 Odyssey below MSRP. Thanks.
  • Options
    mchwemchwe Member Posts: 23
    the green is quite a bit bluer than the old green it replaced. during the day, it is not that noticeable, but in the evening, it looks quite blue. i don't have any pictures yet (just got it a few days ago), but i'll pm some to you when i do. my wife really wanted tan leather (which is very, very nice: not as good as a lexus, but much better than what is in the ford expedition, for example), and that is only available with the green and gold colors.

as for the dvd, i must say it is very well thought out, including wireless headphones for the kids that allow them to listen to a different source from the adults. the screen is smallish, but adequate. fit and finish in this van is excellent, and the engine power, transmission smoothness, and improved quietness are all instantly noticeable (my folks have a 2000 odyssey lx)

overall, extremely happy with the van.
  • Options
    marylizusmarylizus Member Posts: 24
    Are people really buying for $800 under MSRP?
  • Options
    dkrabdkrab Member Posts: 77
    I just put money down for a Starlight Silver LX. It will be 24,190 + TTL and a $50 documentation fee. No "advertising fee" or any dealer installed stuff. The price includes the $440 destination fee. So, if I have my numbers correct, it breaks down like this:

$24,250 MSRP
    $440 Destination
    -$500 discount
    = $24,190

Dealers offering this are McDavid on Gulf Fwy; Gillman in Ft. Bend. I used this info to get John Eagle to match it, but they originally wanted MSRP. They are close to the office, though, and I really like their service manager (I bring my '98 Accord there for service). Don't know how much they will want for HondaCare warranty, but it doesn't matter.
  • Options
    sejarzosejarzo Member Posts: 8
    Back in August, Honda East in Cincinnati said that they'd sell me any 2002 Ody they'd get for $500 under MSRP.....we live in Indiana near Chicago, and no one up here would deal or had any firm idea of when they'd have one to sell. But the next week, the trans controller in our 1996 Grand Caravan with only 52k miles went out, resulting in further mechanical damage to the trans, and we spent almost $3k on various repairs. Guess we'll drive it for a while now and get a 2003 Ody. No more DC products of any sort for us, ever!
  • Options
    lotus18lotus18 Member Posts: 37
    Do not get too excited about the $500 below MSRP. Always get a sales manager signed paper of final drive-out price, that'll be your real price. You'll be amazed different dealer have different drive-out price, even with the same selling price.
  • Options
    dkrabdkrab Member Posts: 77
    I got the sales manager's signature. I don't remember the exact figure, but the only big extra charges were the $50 doc. fee and sales tax. Title and License were not big. If they mess me around when I go to pick it up, I'll just walk.
  • Options
    iggysamaiggysama Member Posts: 1
    Looking to buy a 2002 Ody EX before Christmas. Live in the sticks down in southern Maryland south of Wash, DC but am willing to drive up to Baltimore or Virginia area if the deal is right. Can anyone recommend a dealer that did them right in this area.
  • Options
    dinh_henrydinh_henry Member Posts: 19
    Just put a deposit down for the '02 Odyssey EX-L. Dealer is McDavid Honda (Irving, TX). The price is $28,190 (MSRP-$500). The drive out price is $30,174. The van will be available in December.
  • Options
    cploycploy Member Posts: 4
    Get your new Ody from Ohio. $500 below MSRP is very much standard in Columbus. Most are 2-3 weeks wait. Fly SouthWest $68 one-away from BWI to Columbus. Dealer will pick you up at the airport. Try Honda East. They are 10 minutes from the airport.
  • Options
    kondorkondor Member Posts: 4
    Not sure if this id the right place to post this. I'm a first -time Odyssey owner. Just bought a 2000 Odyssey LX for $21800. Thought I got a great deal. Has roof rack with sliding bars, rear well liner and of course the three huge floor mats. No other extras. The vehicle has 23, 534 miles on it. I was told that you could pick up an Extended Warranty on a Honda more easliy and cheaper if you do it before 24K?
    Can anyone comment on that AND where do I go to get the best price?
    Thanks!
  • Options
    richandmrichandm Member Posts: 1
    We bought a 2001 Ody at Chesrown Honda in Medina near Akron Ohio in March 2001. I dealt with Thelma online and by phone (800-544-7501) since we live near Pittsburgh PA. She was great! We paid $800 under MSRP and received free mudflaps. The van was ready in 3 weeks from the time we ordered instead of the 6 we were promised!! This dealership has a great deal on oil changes (10 for $130 if I recall) -- I wish we lived close enough to use their service.
  • Options
    hondabobhondabob Member Posts: 4
    Sean/John --

$800 off is much better than what I'm getting in Indiana...$250 is about the lowest I'm getting. What was the name of the dealership and the person you talked to? Color? Trade-in? Overall experience?

Thanks in advance...Ready to buy!
  • Options
    tonybanotonybano Member Posts: 6
    See post # 1750 in this discussion for info.
  • Options
    skoretskskoretsk Member Posts: 38
    Looking for Silver/Quartz, no NAV. Anybody know where I can find one? Will pay MSRP, no more.
  • Options
    magic1688magic1688 Member Posts: 10
    NEWSWIRE-

Honda Manufacturing Of Alabama Begins Mass Production
    Odyssey Minivan and V-6 Engine Production Begin Smoothly

Lincoln, AL 11/14/2001 -- Honda Manufacturing of Alabama (HMA) today began mass production of Honda's benchmark Odyssey minivan and the V-6 engine that powers it - approximately six months ahead of the original vehicle launch plan for the plant. Production at HMA will help meet customer demand for the hot-selling Odyssey.

"With dealer inventories currently in short supply it was necessary to accelerate the mass production start-up in Alabama to meet the needs of our customers and dealers," said Mikio Yoshimi, president of HMA. "This is the quickest ever construction of a new Honda auto plant in North America, but our goal is customer satisfaction, not record construction. I am extremely proud of what all of our associates in Alabama have accomplished, advancing the launch date while achieving Honda's high quality level."

Associates at HMA have been conducting trial production for several months, refining new processes and equipment and learning to meet Honda's exacting standards for quality and efficiency. In fact, today's official mass production line-off culminates several weeks of department-by-department production start-ups in stamping, welding, painting, plastic injection molding, engine casting and machining, body and engine assembly and other areas. HMA's engine plant, for instance, has been casting engine blocks for several weeks that will be used in yet-to-be produced Odysseys.

Honda announced plans to build a plant in Alabama in May 1999, with the original mass production start-up scheduled for April 2002. At the April 2000 groundbreaking, HMA announced it would accelerate the start-up of production to late 2001, with plans to reach employment of 1,500 associates when HMA meets its annual production of 120,000 vehicles and 120,000 engines in late 2002. Currently, HMA employs approximately 1,100 associates.

The start-up of HMA increases Honda's capital investment in North America to more than $6 billion, raises Honda's North American employment to more than 25,000 associates and brings to eleven the number of major Honda manufacturing plants in North America. HMA will help boost total North American auto production capacity to 1.18 million units by late 2002.

Honda is the world's preeminent engine-maker, building more than 11 million engines globally in the year 2000 for its diverse line-up of automobiles, motorcycles and power products. Honda began operations in North America in 1959 with the establishment of American Honda Motor Co., Inc., Honda's first overseas subsidiary. Using domestic and globally-sourced parts, Honda began assembling motorcycles in America in 1979, with U.S. automobile manufacturing starting in 1982. Honda designs, manufactures and markets its products in North America and worldwide. Honda currently builds products in eleven manufacturing plants in North America, with three major research and development centers in the U.S.

Source American Honda Motor Company
  • Options
    djwhitakerdjwhitaker Member Posts: 20
    Does anyone know where to get a list of Honda dealers within a large geographical area (e.g,. 150 mile radius of a certain city or zip code). I tried the Honda web site, and, annoying, it only gives you 3 or 4 dealers at a time.

We are planning on buying an Ody soon, and want to use the blast-fax method (faxing an offer to dealers within a certain area) to get the best deal. we live in Atlanta so a decent price from a local dealer is just about out of the question, but we are willing to travel to save some $$.

thanks!
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Would you mind trying the "Find A Local Dealer" in the dropdown box under "Ready to buy or sell?" on the main edmunds.com page? There's only two Honda dealers in my area - I'm curious to see if you can get more to show up in your area with our tool. Thanks!

Meanwhile here's a link with dealers by state, but no contact info... go figure.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    qduqdu Member Posts: 4
    I got my EX-L RES from Honda East(614-864-5250) at $800 off MSRP. The sales rep is Kevin Nuzum, a very good guy.

With the new plant at full production, you might even get better deal :-) Good luck!
  • Options
    Hi steve, i tried the find a local dealer on the Edmunds.com main page, and it turned up 3 when i searched for an 2002 EXL. it seemed to look in the entire metro atlanta area, so there should be many, many more.

thanks for the list of honda dealers by state.

djw
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Thanks! (I'm hoping for lots more there in the near future, since it helps pay the bills around here). Good luck in your search.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    gfc4usgfc4us Member Posts: 14
    Thanks to magic1688 for the information.
    Now we just wait and see.
  • Options
    sugsrisugsri Member Posts: 4
    I am also in Atlanta and found the list of dealers in the Atlanta Journal Constitution some time back (probably a month ago).They had a big list there (actually 14 in all).I think that info must be coming out pretty often.If not do let me know and I will try to give you the info.They had the telephone numbers/email address/postal addresses of the dealers (no fax number).I dont know about the area that would cover but it has dealers even from Gainsville,Lithonia,Griffin and Athens.Let me know if you need the list and I will email it to you.

Best of luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for the info. I've seen the AJC list/map (it's in there every weekend). I am thinking i will have to travel 100+ miles away from Atlanta to get MSRP (or lower :-) so i was looking for dealers outside the Metro area -- even in east Alabama and South Carolina that were within a few hours.

Of course, I would prefer to buy locally but not i'm not willing to pay 3k over MSRP (or even 1K).

thanks again!
  • Options
    wlkwokwlkwok Member Posts: 2
    I know your predicament about the local Atlanta dealers. I did not even bother discussing prices with them, although I did take a test drive at one dealer. Mike Patton Honda in LaGrange, Ga is the dealer I went to for my EX. As a matter of fact I just picked up mine this morning after only a 30 day wait. They are not that far out from downtown Atlanta. I live in Lawrenceville and it was only 90 miles away. A 90 minute drive is worth saving over $1,500+, would you agree? Ok, they offer Odysseys @ MSRP, not a penny over (they do have a $250 service fee, fyi). Great service and absolutely no pressure tactics. No gimmicks and very straightforward. The internet director and the person I've communicated with is Chris Assaf (cassaf@ mikepattonauto.com). She will definitely take care of you. I've been told they get lots of business from Atlantans. Hope this helps you. BTW, if you can't get in touch with Chris, look for Ronnie Barnes. Please tell them I (Kwok) sent you!!
  • Options
    imb1imb1 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone have good experience with a dealer in NJ? I'm in the market for an Odyssey EX-L-NAVI.

I checked a few dealers in this area and they seem to get stuck at MSRP, not a penny less (but sometimes add all kind of fees).

Is it worth traveling to another state? What do you do then if there is any problem with the car?

Thanks.
  • Options
    dschmitt1996dschmitt1996 Member Posts: 9
    djwhitaker, I also live in Atlanta and like wlkwok bought from Chris Assaf at Mike Patton.

I was able to get a 2001 EX this summer for $250 below MSRP plus their $250 doc fee. Even better, they delivered the van to me at my home.

It was a straightforward deal, all done via e-mail, phone, and fax. Like wlkwok, I highly recommend Mike Patton.
  • Options
    zxrsizerzxrsizer Member Posts: 10
    With this new plant opening in Atlanta, does anyone think prices will drop a bit for the '02 Odyssey? (I live in Northern Virginia.) I hate to pay MSRP for any car. When will be see the cars coming out of it, soon? I don't know how long it takes to make a car at the factory.

Is the Ody as wonderful as Honda makes them out to be? I want a car I can keep for ten years, that is reliable. I have an '88 Acura Legend with 189,000 miles and she keeps going. If that is any indication, then the Odyssey may be the perfect car.
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    Slowly will come to full production, but when they get there new Honda SUV will be in equation along with increased MDX production. I look at Canada and US production as one with various ratios on production mix. I personally do see a nice availability of these Honda products in about 4 months but then new Honda SUV will kick in and take away some production ability. ie there is a small window in next few months for a lot of Odyssey production. In a year, discounts should be found. In two months you may find one at a dealer for MSRP unsold.
    INKY
  • Options
    jnash2jnash2 Member Posts: 31
    I'm writing this post on both the "Odyssey Problems" and "Prices Paid" boards. I'm taking delivery of a 2002ex tomorrow. It hasn't gone as smooth as I would have liked untill now, but I'm paying MSRP and only waited 4 days once I put down the small deposit. They will prep it in the morning. I went for an alarm system with glass protection and a passive ignition cutoff because I live in the New York area. It will cost 450 more.I was under the impression untill last night that these came with the EX. An option salesman threw so much crap at me, it took me nearly two hours to sort it out. I'm still unsure weather or not I really need this extra. I need to know exactly what the "security system" is that comes standard on the EX from people who already own this car. Also, does anyone know of where I can get the 1000,000 mile Honda Care in the NY area for the less than $900 I've been readig about on these boards.
  • Options
    DTKWOKDTKWOK Member Posts: 131
    My '01 EX comes with a security system. All it does is honk and blink the headlights, parking lights, and other exterior lights when activated. There is however, no mention of an ignition cutoff (haven't tried it myself), however I assume it's there since there is a micro chip in the key, to enable/disable the radio at least. I'm also not sure if the EX comes with glass protection (I doubt it). As for the 100,000 mile/7 yr warranty, you can get it out of state. I got mine from Alton Bakley in KY for $875 (about a month or two ago). Good luck with your pickup and rest assured even at MSRP, the Ody is a great deal!
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply, DTKWOK. It doesn't come with glass sensors and now that you said it, I kind of remember someone telling me about the horn honking if a door is opened. Does the horn honk for the hatch opening too? Also the chip disables the ignition. I don't know if it is passive or what part of the passive optional system qualifies for an insurance discount. If any one knows, that would help. My insurance agent is closed until Monday, so I can't ask him before the system is installed. The bottom line seems to be $450 to add glass sensors and I think another ignition disabler. Seems like a rip-off. I think I'll wait and see. Any more advice would help. P.S. How can I get in touch with Alton Bakley?
  • Options
    circussizedcircussized Member Posts: 1
    bought 2002 odyssey @ boch. paid full msrp but waited only 14 days for delivery. thats the good news. the bad= no service after delivery. like i contracted anthrax or something.
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    We are currently sold out til February 02...so ANY increase will be just fine with us. I spoke with a dealer at a meeting last month, they are currently on July!

To give you an example, we received a fax from Honda about 3 extra EX's for December...sold in less than 4 hours!

Jerry
  • Options
    DTKWOKDTKWOK Member Posts: 131
    You're welcome. Yes, the alarm will go off if the system is armed and the door is opened without the key (i.e. lifting the lock latch on the inside). As for the rear hatch, I don't know how to test it, since everything locks when you arm the system and you can only open the rear hatch from the outside (don't really feel like busting my lock at this time, hee, hee).

Okay, as for Alton Blakley Honda, you would want to contact a Ms. Tracy McCrystal (800)264-3275 or e-mail her at tdabh@yahoo.com . Good luck and enjoy your van.
  • Options
    jddees43jddees43 Member Posts: 2
    In dfw area 28K $690 off msrp, plus ttl.
  • Options
    Thanks again DTKWOK. I hope we never have to find out on that rear hatch break in thing. I cancelled the $450 extra alarm. I can get exactly the same thing for half the price from a great alarm place I've used before. Lifetime guarantee. I saved the Hondacare info. Thanks on that too.

I took delivery on my 2002EX yesterday at MSRP after a short 2 week wait. They aggravated me to no end, but I got the Van faster than I expected, so I put up with it. One was available to me within 5 days if I wanted it, but I couldn't take it.
    I love it! The van that is.
  • Options
    about 1 hour til deletion....
  • Options
    Doesn't it just kill you sometimes!
  • Options
    That's a good price.

No doc fee, either?
  • Options
    kalajiankalajian Member Posts: 43
    Our moderator must be on vacation...
  • Options
    are on their way to us. I just received a ship date, so it will be interesting to see how long it takes to get here. My customers that have bought them are happy that we have a Christmas delivery.

Personally, I believe that the new factory will do just fine, quality wise that is. I mean they make a quality product in Ohio...right?

Jerry
  • Options
    bigalexbigalex Member Posts: 1
    I am getting my Honda Odyssey in 7-10 days. My dealer confirmed that my van is build in Canada. Which is what I wanted. No offense, but I would rather take Ody from the same folks who are building Accura. I am sure that the new Alabama will be up to speed and that Honda quality control will ensure that no car from Alabama comes out with any type of flows, however I do feel better by getting this car from Canada for now....

I paid $300 bellow MSRP. It's silver metalic.
  • Options
    schechter4schechter4 Member Posts: 1
    Any suggestions for dealers in the Chicago area who will provide EX-L Nav Silver at MSRP with no additional add-on costs? I live in the North Shore area but happy to travel/electronically work with a dealer who will make the process easy.

Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    dk2002dk2002 Member Posts: 1
    Dealers in Ft.Worth giving 500 off MSRP for net customers. Largest dealer in nation has very short wait. Sounds like 500 off msrp is a good deal based on messages been reading. What is best deal heard on 2002 odyssey. Any negotiating tips if you have any.
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    OK, folks. When the dealer says a Honda Odyssey has been shipped, how long is the travel time?
    I ask since I finally found one available that has shipped (Red Rock EX). Anyone else have this color. Any opinions on it? Price was straight MSRP--not much wiggle room most places yet.
    INKY