Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    entrnentrn Member Posts: 4
    Looking for $500 or above discount from MSRP in NJ,PA,DEL,NY metro area. Anybody get a good deal like this? Want a 2002 EX-L silver. Thanks
  • Options
    raybearraybear Member Posts: 1,795
    Not recently, anyway. You can always ask. I hear leather is on constraint right now, so avaialbility is about to become a big issue.
  • Options
    gregariangregarian Member Posts: 4
    So was I and after failing to find a sane dealer in the Metropolitan area I went to Benton Harbor Michigan, just across the Indiana - Michigan line and bought a 1999 three year ago. I ordered a new 2002 Odyssey - EX on 11/12/01 and should have it by 12/14/01 for a very fair price 26250+440 before tax title etc. Try Mark Sanders at Schroeder Motors - 616-926-6181 he has been great and hopefully every thing will go well at the pick-up, it did on the 1999. I just am hoping to get a fair offer on my trade in as I would prefer to trade for the sales tax savings rather than sell to my co-worker who is dying to get the 1999 ( It has been perfect up to the 54K I have on it.) Good luck to all

Greg
  • Options
    jayne5jayne5 Member Posts: 1
    I went to Renton Honda. They offered us a price at $800 above MSRP plus $440 destination charge. Anybody gets better deal than this in WA? Any tips for bargain the price? This is for model 2002 EX-L Granite Green. Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    Wenhong, on an order-only basis in Washington State.

Keep looking.
  • Options
    kendall69kendall69 Member Posts: 13
    Forget Rock Honda, the guy in Mike Patton Auto Family GA is $1000.00 cheaper than Rock Honda... I just got his quote via e-mail.
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    http://www.vtec.net/news/

Time is your friend, Odyssey buyers!

INKY

• Options
    wlkwokwlkwok Member Posts: 2
    I will vouch for the team at Mike Patton Honda. They do what they say and they don't blindside you with extras. Straightforward and honest. I got mine at MSRP and only waited a month. Service was great as well with no pressure.

If you are even near LaGrange, GA. please contact Chris Assaf.

Hi Chris!
  • Options
    burgessfive1burgessfive1 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking for a EX-L in the Arizona area. Has anyone had any luck and how much over/under MSRP did you get it for? Also, has anyone bought from Platinum Autos over eBay or otherwise? They have a shop here and I thought I might try them too. I'm pretty sure that I can get them to deal directly with me since I'm able to visit their store. Thanks!
  • Options
    Was quoted $28625.00 for 02 ody EX-L with fog lights. Should I go for it? Wait is 12 weeks. Dealership is 2 hours from my house. Think I can do better? Thanks.
  • Options
    gregariangregarian Member Posts: 4
    Hey All,

I am excited to report to all potential Chicago, Northern Indiana Odyssey buyers that I was able to take delivery of our new '02 EX in taffeta white today. As mentioned earlier Schroeder Motor Mall in Benton Harbor Michigan 100 miles from me and about 80 from Chicago proper was truly a pleasure to deal with. I paid $500 under MSRP and the vehicle came pristine freshly manicured inside and out and WITH FLOORMATS AT THE PRICE. (26250 + 440=26690 before tax & title & warranty)They were extremely appreciative to have the business and above board on my trade. They were willing to negotiate my 99 odyssey trade to a fair wholesale price which matched the Edmunds wholesale (for 54K mile '99) and made the deal a reality as I needed that amount to make the deal work. I also bought a honda care 6/100k/0ded for 795 which is 100 over cost I believe. I feel I could have called one of the people who market the hondacare for about $50 less but I was pleased to give Schroeder the coin. It took exactly 4 week from date of order to pick up of vehicle which I think is great. They will even try to do a dealer locate to see if they can trade an allocation to get what you may be looking for. Cheers to them!!! We need more who will go the extra mile for a customer.

The entire transaction took about 1.5hours from the appraisal of my 1999 odyssey to arranging financing through the dealer (fifth/third bank at 6.5% for 24months). There were no smoke and mirrors, they had asked if I was interested in any of the aftermarket stuff (soundproofing, paint protection, fabric care), I politely declined and that was fine by them. Also by Trading in the van we saved about $1,228.50 in sales tax, so keep that in mind as you contemplate outright sale (We tried it). You have to get an amount equal to or great that the wholesale or trade-in value plus the sale tax on that amount to really justify the hassel of direct sale. We tried but had only one viable lead that fell through when we told him we would need a cashiers check or Cash to be able to hand over the title.

So, if anyone out there is within 250 miles of Benton Harbor Michigan (Which is just north of the Indiana State line in Southeast Michigan) I would highly recommend the Schroeder Motor Mall (616-926-6181 or toll free 1-888-393-3257) , Scott the Sales Manager, and Mark Sander the Salesman I dealt with.

Sorry for the sales pitch but they really restored my faith in Car Dealers and I feel that they could not have been more professional. I have had my share of experiences which I found repulsive, especially here in the Chicago area our dealer are about as arrogant as they get.

Love that Odyssey!

Greg
  • Options
    Dealer in Southern California has an EX in Mesa Beige for MSRP for you shoppers.
  • Options
    redly_oneredly_one Member Posts: 122
    RRP Ody EX-L
    paid $28490 and ~950 for 7/100 warranty :)

NEVER PAY RETAIL...NEVER :)
  • Options
    Was the 950 included in the 28490 price? What dealership did you get at? city and state. I am looking for an EXL and refuse to pay MSRP too. I have an offer for 28625 exl with fogs. thanks
  • Options
    jd37jd37 Member Posts: 4
    I wanted to buy the Sienna because I liked its' smooth ride (I was trading in a '99 Camry). My friend convinced me that the '02 ODY would be as smooth or smoother than the Sienna. I also liked Honda's simple LX, EX and EXL bundles - it takes a rocket scientist to figure out the right combination of model and options on the Sienna.

Anyway, I got my '02 ODY EX in October (27190 + tax+ $40 doc fee + cassette player free). I love the van except for one major problem. At low speeds and even SLIGHTLY uneven roads, the back doors sqeak like it is a 10 year old car and it's driving me nuts. I took it to the dealer and he said the doors needs tightening. It hasn't helped. Has anyone out there has similar problems? Or is it common with all minivans?
    Thanks,
  • Options
    inkyinky Member Posts: 370
    My EX is in. A little hard to be excited about paying MSRP. I hope it was worth it. I will let the water run a real long time when I get there Friday to pick up.
    I sure like Honda Parts for you. splash guards were just $57 with no tax nor shipping costs.
    They sell 3 pack of oil filters for $13.50.
    later
    INKY
  • Options
    JOSEAGULLJOSEAGULL Member Posts: 7
    Looking to buy a 2002 Ody EX around Christmas. Live in the Urbana-champaign area in Illinois, 3 hours south of Chicago. Willing to drive up to Chicago, St. Louis or Indianapolis if the deal is right. Can anyone recommend a good dealer in this area. Also, if anybody can point me to the place where I can get a fax format for the blast-fax method (faxing an offer to dealers within a certain area) to get the best deal.
    Thanks.
  • Options
    phoenix2001phoenix2001 Member Posts: 22
    burgessfive1, unless things have changed dramatically in Phoenix, no one will sell below MSRP and they are probably still sticking to MSRP+. Beaudry Honda in Tucson will sell at MSRP.

Platinum Autos and AnyAutoOnline.com (probably the same people) are selling Canadian market Odysseys in the US with a third party warranty and speedo change to Miles. But for the measly savings you get (what $500 below MSRP or less???) I don't think it is worth it. (Check out all previous discussion on buying Canadian market Odysseys.) They probably obtain the Canadian Odysseys at about $5-6K below US MSRP so even after mods, shipping and adding a warranty I would think they should sell it for a lot less.
  • Options
    shanersshaners Member Posts: 14
    I just bought a EX-L RES that has been on a dealers lot in western PA since Nov. He has a EX-L that isn't spoken for as of now and it is biege. I think his sister dealership in western ohio has had an EX-L in silver for about the same time.

Another local dealer is selling his vans for MSRP minus destination charges. He has none in stock but is getting 1 more in Dec and 3 in Jan, that aren't spoken for.
  • Options
    entrn

Look at apostolakishonda . com he may have what you want.
  • Options
    I'll pick up my new Honda EXLRES this weekend. It's redrock pearl. I bought it off the lot where it has been sitting for at least 3 weeks. Are there any issues I should address with the dealer, or should I just enjoy it... It has to be better than the '00 Olds premier I'm trading!!!
  • Options
    lienrenchiehlienrenchieh Member Posts: 8
    Jayne5, I got my Odyssey from Capitol City Honda
    in Olympia two years ago for MSRP+$500. At that
    time, this is the best price I could get in WA after about 6 months of survey. Try call Scott Hibberd in Capitol City Honda (1-800-584-2956).
    He will give you a very reasonable price. I believe that you won't regret. Let me know what
    happen. Good luck.
  • Options
    patel68patel68 Member Posts: 16
    Try Priceline. They do the blast fax for you. Cost is $50 after you buy the van.
  • Options
    vikki26vikki26 Member Posts: 11
    Burgessfive1:
    I just bought an LX in the Phoenix area last week. Don't know what availability on the EX-L is. I used the Blastfax method (check the advice section of Edmunds) to solicit bids and find out general waiting time, which ranged from a couple weeks to several months.
    I ended up buying from the Internet manager at Arrowhead Honda, Randy Westmoreland. He sold the LX at MSRP. I have heard not-as-great things about a couple of the high-volume area dealers, but they might have one sooner if you are looking for something specific.
    Good luck,
    Vikki
  • Options
    rcherircheri Member Posts: 1
    Hi,

I am looking for any recent purchases in
    San Francisco / San Jose of EX-L with DVD.

What is a good price? I am getting MSRP + 1000?
    Is it worth driving to Los Angeles?

thanks

reji
  • Options
    I know an LA dealer who has one in stock at MSRP, color is Redrock Pearl.

You may want to check in with the area just outside the Bay, I've seen them at $200 over there.
  • Options
    Dealer in the Fresno area has Granite Green EX-L at MSRP, also EXL-RES in Granite, and EX's in Silver and Granite.
  • Options
    hondasales101hondasales101 Member Posts: 7
    if you buy an odyssey for msrp be happy, cause many of my customers pay 1500 over msrp, especially for the hard to find models. I have a customer thats been waiting since 1999 to pay less the msrp...msrp went up over a $1ooo since than...I'm getting one myself...just ordered an exl navi in mesa beige...they are the best vans.
  • Options
    chanfelixchanfelix Member Posts: 1
    Just bought a Granite Green EXL from a dealer in Tucson, AZ. Paid MSRP + $500 shipping fee to Southern Cal.

For people from California, it might be a good option to buy from out of state + shipping fee.

Thanks for all the helpful information provided on this board. Best of luck on finding your dream van.
  • Options
    jddees43jddees43 Member Posts: 2
    In the Dallas area
    They tried to add Doc fee $55
    and Protection Plus $100
    DON'T PAY IT.
  • Options
    Too bad, there are dealers right in your backyard at MSRP. No need to go out of state.
  • Options
    bcarroll8bcarroll8 Member Posts: 4
    Every dealer I have spoken with in the Atlanta area has EXs on the lot. Is the economy catching up with demand for these? I have a quote right now for MSRP but I think prices will drop over the next 8 weeks. Anybody else seeing this?
  • Options
    truckie81truckie81 Member Posts: 4
    This past summer I bought a 01 LX from Capitol City Honda in Olympia. We paid MSRP and they threw in keyless entry. I had done my homework and had contacted all dealers in the Portland/Seattle area, even one in the Dalles, Or(can't recall their name). The Portland dealers all (except St John's Honda)were rude or had crazy prices. The dealer in the Dalles and Capitol City had the same deal but I only had to wait a couple of days for a van from Capitol City Honda as they had one coming in that wasn't presold. Both dealers were very professional. No B.S.
    We bought our van from Brian Martin (Internet Sales Mgr) at Capitol City and it was a great experience. I have nothing but good to say about my experience with him/them. I recommended Capitol City to a friend who is now expecting their 02 to arrive soon. So far my friend is pleased also. I believe he paid MSRP for an LX.
    Give them a call. Good luck.
    John J.
  • Options
    appleliuappleliu Member Posts: 3
    In reply to bcarroll8's commend about the price going down and the slow economy is catching up. I totally agree with it. I have been shopping for a gg EX for more than 2 months in Houston, and I've been getting calls from 5 different Honda dealerships everyday from MSRP 2 months ago to now $600.00 off with some freebies. Just this afternoon along, 2 dealers had 5 EXs on their lots and another dealership is getting some in these couple of days.
  • Options
    djwhitakerdjwhitaker Member Posts: 20
    i'm curious, who in Atlanta is quoting you MSRP? I have heard nothing by horror stories about Atlanta dealers, and was figuring i would have to go out of the Metro Atl area to get one at MSRP.

thanks!
  • Options
    ateixeiraateixeira Member Posts: 72,587
    Anyone pay less than MSRP in the national capital area? Herson's Honda said MSRP with a 3 month wait, but I haven't really shopped around.

A friend of mine is buying very soon, so I was wondering if any dealers in DC/MD/VA have vans in stock, and at what prices. He's ready to buy.

My time frame is more relaxed, so I may be actively shopping next summer, when kid #2 arrives. But I'm still interested to hear any suggestions.

-juice
  • Options
    qhzqhz Member Posts: 3
    I will pickup my Odyssey lx at the coming weekend. The dealer offered me an extend warranty at $1,280 for 7 years/75,000mile with $0 deduct (that including 3years/36,000 mile Honda warranty).

If any one has an idea,should I buy it or not?

thank!
  • Options
    lss1lss1 Member Posts: 21
    like above post--have deposit down at hersons honda in rockville, MD at list.
  • Options
    akin67akin67 Member Posts: 62
    I don't know what is going on in the rest of the country but in the NY/NJ metropolitan area still long waits. Ordered a 2002 Odyssey EX Navi back on Oct 7 and still waiting.

And the price is MSRP, nothing more nothing less.
  • Options
    One of the guys I work with says there are a few available now at MSRP. Not sure about the Navi.
  • Options
    pearsonrjpearsonrj Member Posts: 51
    On the topic of the extended warranty - I'd suggest shopping aound. I believe that the HondaCare 100,000 mile/7 year warranty with $0 deductible can be had for around $900. I certainly would not pay $1,200+ for it. Don't be afraid to haggle on it - I believe the cost to the dealer is around $800 - and they are getting on or around MSRP from you for the van.

As far as increased availability and any corresponding drop in price goes, yes, supply will be increasing with the new factory coming on line. But it will still not meet demand. So I think what you will see is that prices across the country may drop by $500, but I'd be surprised if they drop further. So dealers currently asking $1,000+ will be asking $500+, dealers asking MSRP will ask MSRP -$500 etc. Of course if demand still exceeds supply and some dealers can pre-sell every Odyssey they're allocated then they may not lower prices at all. It will obviously vary from dealer to dealer and region to region.

Lastly, LXs and EXs without leather are considered to be the least in demand, relative to the factory output of those trim levels. I believe that the majority of potential buyers are looking for the EX-L variants, but the minority of vans being produced are EX-L variants, thus the greater markup on these vans. Alot of dealers have EXs on the lot that they cannot shift because potential buyers consider the extra $1,500 for the factory leather to be a reasonable sum to pay, and the dealers who offer aftermarket leather cannot easily match that price. Those who cannot wait for the EX-L variants will either buy a regular EX at a more attractive price (with less of a markup), or get the dealer to install aftermarket leather.

Richard (2002 EX-L)
  • Options
    Thanks Richard!

I will search for the extend warranty. Do you know any source I can find the extend warranty?
  • Options
    ddwmewddwmew Member Posts: 42
    GHZ,

What credit card rebate did you receive on a LX purchase?
  • Options
    I have Citibank Driver's Edge Credit card (which was Ford Credit Card).

Each time when I used the card, I got 2% rebate that accumulated in my account. The rebate can only be used to buy a new or used car for any maker/model.
  • Options
    hoyahenryhoyahenry Member Posts: 399
    Well, after 9 months (yes, nine) and 5 days of waiting here in VA for an EX, I would not accept that the dealership was unwilling to honor the 2001 MSRP price I agreed to back on March 17th even though I was getting a 2002. (difference: $790 + 3% tax)

So, I left.

I received a letter from the salesperson in September saying:

- there were new models and pricing (+$350 for an LX)

- that the vans would be more popular with the new models, (I read this as, "Don't cancel now.")

- wasn't I so happy that I already had a van on order and "locked in". (his words) (again, read as don't cancel)

- and finally, I could change my order for one of the new models if I so desired.

Anyway, my read was that if I changed nothing, I would get my locked in van for the price on the order contract in the order in which it was delivered. In hindsight, I should have re-read the terms of the long-since-filed order contract right then, but it still seems reasonable to me that the dealership should recognize my loyalty and patience in some way. ($800 is pretty cheap by my calculation.)

But many things have changed since March, and while somewhat disappointed, I think there is a huge silver lining. I drove the van (finally) and it's quiet, powerful and (maybe too) BIG! It's also vanilla; it's a van afterall. And what is up with the shift lever - the designer must have been a drum major....? Fog lights and roof rack crossbars should be included. (quoted $495 for the lights - which was a concession for my patience - otherwise it was $599.)

So, I can think of better ways to spend $28K+. The general sentiment is that the car tax is due back here in VA in 2002 ($4.57/100 blue book on Jan 1 (~$1200/year), so I think there'll be more Ody's to buy next year if I decide that's what I need. For now, I'll test drive a couple more vans now that I can compare, and enjoy reviewing my financial statements.

One last point: red rock pearl is maroon/cabernet. To me the color in the brochure is misleading and since there are so few of them just yet, I never saw it before. I was hoping it was closer to the Toyata Solara color palette.
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    Understand that even though a dealer has some Odysseys on their lot, we are at the slowest time of the year...its this way across the board in the car business. Those vans that you are looking at might be gone in the week between Christmas and New years. Our busy time is Feb thru end of July...Odyssey prices shouldn't change at all.

Jerry
  • Options
    $800 below MSRP would have been the lowest price I've ever heard of. You did someone else a favor by cancelling, though.

-juice
  • Options
    tonybanotonybano Member Posts: 6
    Below is an excerpt from a post I entered in this forum in early November after just picking up my SS EX. At the time of the purchase, 3 different people told me to fill in all excellents in the Honda survey and they would give me a $100 credit to be used at their dealership for parts or service. They said anthing less than excellent was a failure to them and Honda. When I rcvd my survey I was very honest about my experience with the 3 people I dealt with at College Park Honda and they therefore did not get high marks. (see below) They rcvd middle to low marks on almost all aspects of the survey. Yesterday morning at 10:30 AM while at home, I rcvd a phone call from the general manager of the dealership. He just wanted to call to let me know that he rcvd the survey results and let me know that I'm a JERK. I let him know that I felt the same way about him and commented that his behavior was very professional. So if anyone in the Washington DC area wants to spend $29K on a new van, and then rcv harrassing phone calls at home from the GM of the dealership and be called a JERK, please be sure to buy your new Oddy from College Park Honda in College Park MD. Be sure to ask to speak with the GM. He'll take care of you.

We wound up getting a Silver EX at MSRP with the crossbars and mudflaps included at no additional cost from College Park Honda in MD. They were not the nicest people but they were willing to throw in the crossbars and mudflaps for free and we got the van in a week. I had a big problem with their ad in the Washington Post and eventually had to speak to the GM there. They advertise $790 under MSRP for an EX but then they add options you don't want at exorbitant prices. That ad is in today and if you call them, they will tell you that you can't actually purchase the vehicle at that price without pay for dealer installed option which will then take the price over MSRP. Certainly seems like deceptive advertising to me. They will, however sell at MSRP, no questions asked.
    Overall this was the most unpleasant new car purchase experience I ever had. This is a very good vehicle but for the dealers to act as though you should be grateful for them ALLOWING you to purchase one at MSRP is beyond me. I don't think I should feel priviliged to give a dealer a $3500 to $4000 profit on this vehicle. I was the one paying $27190 to buy a new vehicle and all dealers were treating me like I was purchasing a 1985 Chevette with bad credit.
    Overall this is a very good vehicle, not the best vehicle of any kind, ever made, by anybody, at anytime, at any price!! But a very good vehicle. Take into account the very obnoxious dealers, and an unreasonably high profit for said obnoxious dealers and you have the ingredients for an unpleasant situation.
    Again, I am very happy with the vehicle, but the purchase experience left a lot to be desired.
  • Options
    You should write to Honda and inform them of this ballot stuffing. That's what it is, they bride you to lie for them, basically.

I hate those guys. Way back in 1992 I took my dad there, and they had markups on Accords, it was ridiculous. My dad was so aggravated be bought a different car that he liked less.

-juice
  • Options
    minivandanminivandan Member Posts: 17
    Just quoted 27690 for an EX with aftermarket leather/heated seats in Ohio, but they would have to install the leather next week. (an EXL would be had for 278100, so didn't save much). Apparently EX-L's with factory leather are "on 60 day backorders".

Anyone know of any problems with using an aftermarket seating. EX and EXL are mechanically the same except for seats, so I'm told.

This sound right? Especially since it's the last day of the year and time for wheelin and dealin.