Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier Honda Odyssey Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• guyintampaguyintampa Member Posts: 2
    When you all say you are finding deals at MSRP, do you mean no extra fees such as "administrative fee"? That seems to be the problem I am encountering in Tampa.
  • wrp1wrp1 Member Posts: 2
    As of 5:00pm yesterday (10/25), Bryan Honda in Fayetteville, NC had an 01' SS EX available, probably close to msrp.

I continue to wait it out at Hendrick Honda. I have a build date of 11/24/00.
  • kutekute Member Posts: 5
    Does any one have a good experience purchasing ODDY in Atlanta area at MSRP or lower? Any suggestions/recommendations are welcome! Thanks.
  • klauklau Member Posts: 2
    I am in Athens, GA. and waiting for my SS EX-NAV. I ordered it on Sept 8 (build date is 11/26/00) through Phil Hughes Honda in Athens at MSRP. I called him recently and he mentioned he would get some LX in Nov., EX in Dec. EX-NAV in Jan. Hope this help.
  • mbeskindmbeskind Member Posts: 22
    See post #297 - Albany, GA not too far if you can't find a deal local. I'm getting mine from Memphis - see post 315. Flight to MEM is less than $100.
  • shopnomoreshopnomore Member Posts: 3
    Just got our 01 MB EX today for 200 under MSRP as we posted earlier. Also got the Honda Care for $885 + tax, 100K/7yr/0 deduct. It took 19 days to come in, well within the time limit the dealer told us. We have yet to find anything wrong with it but are still looking. We'll do a 3 day trip to Niagra Falls in about 10 days from now. Dealer was "Honda of Mentor" in Mentor, OH. I would recommend them to anyone looking to buy. Actually wrote a personal check for the car. Largest check I've ever written. We checked 3 other dealers in the area, none of which would give a lower price and had longer delivery times.
  • captevanscaptevans Member Posts: 14
    Would anyone be willing to share what they have paid for their '01 EX's total -- with no options -- but including all other fees, documents, destination, whatever...thanks. Total out the door price is what I'm looking for.
    Thanks!
  • canuck2scanuck2s Member Posts: 3
    For those Canadians out there who are interested, I have put a deposit on a MB 2001 EX for $33,610, including freight & PDI. No accessories or options. If you add the five (that's right, 5!) different taxes to that, it comes out to $39,125 out the door. Delivery scheduled for Nov. 7.
  • maximamaxima Member Posts: 19
    canuck2s: i got mine(EX) for $32000 + tax a 2000 model
    in june
    I'm jealous you got such a great price. Where did you get your EX?
  • mkcandy1mkcandy1 Member Posts: 1
    My wife and have run into the "Shady" dealerships up here (Mpls Area). In fact, one dealership had their pricing listed out on a seperate piece of paper and claimed to us that it was MSRP!! We quickly walked away.

According to money.com, the Oddy can be purchased under MSRP!! We don't mind waiting, but we need to find a dealership within a 1/2 days drive. Has anyone had any luck with a dealership in the "Northland"?
  • elewelew Member Posts: 4
    I'm getting my 01 GG LX on 11/4. My dealer's extended warranty was way too high, called Chris Scofield (post 339), he's willing to sell me the warranty at $895 for 7/100/0. I also picked up accessories from Trevor at honda-accessories.com, since I was up in the Sacramento area and saved on shipping charges. Everything worked out great. Thanks to all for the info in previous posts.
  • zhongliuzhongliu Member Posts: 8
    It looks like the Edmunds' TMV is
    $1000 above the dealer's invoice for
    the EX. Has anyone got this price?
    Is this TMV useful? Thanks.
  • ccw2ccw2 Member Posts: 2
    Edmunds states the TMV for an Odyssey LX is $22018 which is about $1800 below MSRP. How can this be correct? Where can I find one at this price? Thanks.
  • tsjewantsjewan Member Posts: 13
    We haven't picked up our 2001 LX yet-- but it's due within the next 10 days. After we get it, I'll give you a report of our Mpls-area dealership, in case you're still looking at that point. We were quoted MSRP (the REAL MSRP, not a phony one made up by the dealer) with no "extra's", add-ons, or undesired options.

We were given wildly varying stories at other dealers in the area, such as, "We'll be getting no LX's at all" (found out later that's not true); "We'll be adding at least $900 of extras to each LX, we call it the 'A' Package" (also not completely true); "No test drives at all here until 'your' car comes in and before you close the deal" (they don't LIKE test drives, but this was overstating it and we did get at least a short test drive at the dealership where we made a deposit).

I'm still taking a "Wait and see" attitude here, but so far, 'our' dealer seems o.k. Quoted us $260 for adding keyless remote, which they list at $400 and which costs about $160 for just parts on the Web (I consider $100 labor for this to be "not bad"). Told us the car would almost certainly come in with Michelin tires, but seemed very open to switching them if it comes in with Firestones (not because I'm afraid they'll peel-- but because I've never liked Firestone and think they should be punished now). Quoted us $75 for the cargo tray, close enough to Web price.

As for buying for *under* MSRP-- I'm not here to tell you that it can't be done in MN/WI, but I will say "Good luck". It might depend on what you want. If you want a loaded EX, you might be able to wrangle a couple hundred off MSRP, I don't know. If you want a "bare" LX, I'd say it's less likely. Keep in mind, though, that Odyssey LX at MSRP is about equal money to cutting a "good deal" on a Sienna LE or a 2001 DC extended minivan with similar equipment, and a little less than a good deal on a Windstar or Sillouette. (IMO)
  • ccw2ccw2 Member Posts: 2
    The best price I can get in my area is MSRP + $315 for a CD and free mud guards---no added fees except sales tax and tags. I thought this was good until I saw the Edmund's TMV which is significantly below MSRP. Can the Edmund's TMV be correct?
    Charles.
  • mcbreartyhmcbreartyh Member Posts: 3
    I also question the TMV. I'd fly anywhere for those prices. Live in Tallahassee, Fl. Anyone know where I can find it in the SE for a 2001 EX under MSRP? Also I really don't need until Jan/Feb. Very flexible with that???
  • mcbreartyhmcbreartyh Member Posts: 3
    I read that mgarcia wrote that he had a list of things to check when taking ownersip of the van. Does anyone have this? Please post things to be aware of. Thanks!!
  • shaganastyshaganasty Member Posts: 23
    is this what you are looking for?

http://www.1netweb.com/checklist.htm
  • unchiunchi Member Posts: 6
    Iam not really sure but can it be true that the demand for the Odyssey is loosening up...is that the reason why the TMV is so low???

I hope the demand for the odyssey is getting low because I can't find any dealer around my area who is selling an odyssey for below masp or even msrp
  • mlempiremlempire Member Posts: 34
    Go to Metro Honda in ,see Ali..he has an inside track to the rail yard and knows when they will arrive off the truck within a few hours or so.. they will not take deposits anymore but you can be there when it arrives and pay MSRP+tax + lic.. Metro is a Large dealer and they get a large quantity of vans.....they are in montclair area
    of L.A. but it is worth the drive.. several friends and neighbors have bought from him .. we recieved ours in april 2000 and love it...no problems except sliding door rattles but it goes into the shop tuesday for repair..is halloween a bad day to get your car fixed. We live 2 hours from this dealer but refused to pay 2k-4k over sticker for the priviledge of owning a van from a local san diego dealer. I have never in my life paid sticker for a car in my life, however, this Honda is the best van we have ever had, prev vans were 93 previa and 87 toyota van... previa was great reliability wise but a death trap in a wreck...same for 87 van.
  • mdgarciamdgarcia Member Posts: 6
    mcbreartyh and shagnasty:

I had intended to put my list up on the www but shagnasty beat me to it with an excellent list. Good job shag!

Just can't find enough time since we picked up the Ody on 10/21. We do it up big for Halloween in our neighborhood so that's kept us busy.

Anyhoo, I can't believe how easy it is to forget the waiting once you drive it off the lot! We already have put 536 miles on it (included a trip to Disneyland yesterday ;-).

The Ody is better than I expected. I really agonized over this purchase but everything has turned out great. I'm looking forward to hearing shagnasty's experience on getting two Ody's in the family.

One note, I asked the guy in the parts department what he thought of the dooredge guards. He said they are crappy and will fall off within a year. He could order them but does not stock them. I was going to order them from Trevor but held off. Opinions?

Lastly, has anyone found a well-fitting dash cover for the 2001 Ody. I've been looking at Dashmat, but they don't have 2001 available yet.

Happy Halloween!
  • shaganastyshaganasty Member Posts: 23
    mdgarcia,

Thanks, but I must give credit to all the folks on this board. There was alot of people that gave info on a checklist, I just put it together.

We still haven't got our Odyssey yet, have been told any day now.

My mother-in-law picks her's up today at Barber Honda in Bakersfield. They called her yesterday and said she was first on the list and had a GG EX and wanted to know if she wanted it. (she was waiting for a White EX)At first she told Ralph no, but talked it over with dad-in-law and he said so what is the big deal on color, go get it.

So, she will take the white door guards and touch up paint that I had sent to them from Trevor and see if they will trade for the GG that she will get. mdgarcia, we have the door guards just waiting for the van, they look good and look like they will stay on. (little side note: I have a '89 GMC 2500 that came with a drivers side door guard from the factory, it finally came off about 2 months ago...I think the wife knocked it off when she drove us home from our monthly poker game.)

(still waiting in the weeds.... for our Ody)
    I also would like to know about edmunds TMV for the odyssey, which is way below what anyone here has paid -- including me. Can anyone explain what gives? Is this site all populated by honda salesmen pretending to be buyers? Is this a dagger which I see before me? (Macbeth, while hallucinating murderously). One of you bright fellows illuminate this murkiness?
  • gberryhillgberryhill Member Posts: 1
    I am just beginning my search for a 2001 Odyssey. Any recommendations for an reputable dealer and sales person in the Long Beach area? Also, any suggestions on pricing for the LX or EX?
  • medrovermedrover Member Posts: 2
    Honda adds 3rd shift in Ody production. Arrording to my Honda dealer, the added shift is to improve the quility instead of quantity. The truth is the minivan market is soft now. Last month 9441 ody sold and 6899 Sienna sold. Both below production capacity. Plus Chrysler puts incentive on 2001 new designed van.

The funny thing here in OH, one Honda dealer said if I want to buy Ody, I need to put $500 deposit like other Honda dealer does nationwise. But he had 2 odys on the lot and one EX nav has been there for several weeks. The other Honda dealer agreed to sell below MSRP which most Honda dealers in OH do. If you can wait till next year when the 2nd Ody plant in production and the econ slow down, you definitly can see Ody at TMV
  • timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    no one else has reported a third shift at Alliston (not that it isn't true, just that it hasn't been confirmed -- salesman rhetoric doesn't count since those guys will say anything!). In fact, the load at the plant has increased to include production of the Acura MDX SUV. So, even if they have added a third shift or done so to improve quality (by slowing down?!?) as you suggest, they would still be at their 120,000 Odysseys per year rate of production.

If 9441 you say were sold in October were the average, that would put them at 113,292 for the year -- within 7,000 of their total yearly production. IF all these assumptions were true, that's something like a 20 day supply of available inventory. In an industry where 60 days supply is considered optimum, I do not see an approximately 20 day supply as an overstock.

Based on this information, don't expect much widespread slacking of demand or price relief any time soon....
  • johnwromanjohnwroman Member Posts: 2
    Finalizing my purchase of a 2001 EX from Mitchell Honda in Detroit. I'm getting the van for $500 under MSRP with free cassette player and no additional dealer add ons. Great experience so far with my salesperson, Dan Geiersbach, but getting stuck on which color to pick. My wife likes the Granite Green because she's able to see the color on the different Odys in our area but we can get earlier delivery on a Starlight Silver one. Unfortunately we have not seen a SS in person and are cautious about choosing to live with the color for the next 5 or so years.

So my moral dilemma is this: Can someone who ones an SS tell me what they think of the color in comparison to a GG? Thanks much in advance.
  • timothyadavistimothyadavis Member Posts: 322
    I don't "ones" one (I give everybody a hard time, so please don't be offended! ;-)), but I have an opinion (of course!). Having seen several new Starlight Silver's driving around here North of Dallas, they are a very, very light silver -- hardly silver at all. They look to me like a white on a cloudy day; not really silver but also not very white. Both my wife and I get the impression of faded paint when seeing them (I am very sorry, SS owners! It's just a very personal opinion).

Granite Green, OTOH, we find to be a startlingly beautiful color on bright, sunny days. When it is cloudy however, GG looks uncomfortably bluegreen to me -- too dark and too blueish for my tastes. Of course, maybe that sort of changeability is better than the having people constantly mistaking the SS for a dirty white?

My point in posting really is not (as it may seem) to insult those who really like either of these colors. It is really to advise you to actually look at a SS before you decide -- especially because you have expressed enough concern about the color to wonder "outloud" if you can live with it for several years. Try to find one to look at....
  • jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    its funny. Right now, Odys allocations are slimming down, that means less inventory...we are still at MSRP and allocations sell out within 30 minutes.
    canuck2s: I live in toronto ontario canada where are you located?
    Vancouver, B.C. Say, do you know of any Canadian on-line accessory dealers like honda-accessories.com?
  • binkybarnesbinkybarnes Member Posts: 69
    i love our ss ody...so does our neighbor. after seeing ours, they switched and are now waiting for ss. actually, i think gg is the most attractive color for the ody but, here in sacramento, gg is a dime a dozen.
    canuck2s: I haven't seen any yet I wish theres some too
  • barrvanbarrvan Member Posts: 8
    We've been reading these posts for nearly a year now and appreciate all that we've learned about the much desired Odyssey. Now, we're ready to buy - would like to finalize purchase around the first of the year - and need some advice on the best plan of attack.

Do we call dealers in our area, visit in person - what's the best strategy....any ideas? Thanks!
    Right now, allocations for December mfg is cut by almost 75%. Honda is building up the Acura MDX and will shut down the factories for 2 weeks. Our normal allocation is 20 per month, we just got our latest allocation...4 units.

Seems that inventories will even be slimmer.
  • rictomrictom Member Posts: 89
    I can only tell you what I did. Between using the Honda sites to find the dealers within my state and 1 state north (I'm in Oregon) I then emailed every dealer- asking for a reply only from the fleet mgr or the sales mgr. people who could make the decision- to avoid the "let me go ask my manager" line. I told them what I was looking for (LX/EX,) options I was interested in, seriousness of buying, told them I would be looking around and I didn't care if I had to drive hundreds of miles for the best deal.
    I got good responses and was able to play one against the other, by truthfully emailing the other dealers to say that so-and-so had quoted me a better price, can anyone beat it?
    It saves an awful lot of driving to dealers, phone calls "what can I do to get you to buy today?" "Sell below msrp...hello? hello?".
    I narrowed it down and basically agreed on the price online- then the only time to actually see the dealer was for the deposit/po and the actual pickup.

Hope this is helpful.
  • tedm5tedm5 Member Posts: 3
    What I did was use Carpoint and Carsmart. For low demand vehicles, it gives you the starting point for negotiations since you already have a set price they will sell the car to you for. For high demand vehicles like the Ody, it weeds out all the dealers that won't sell for MSRP. Use the web or any zipcode reference and input zipcodes to get the price request sent to dealers in different areas. I quickly had responses from 4 dealers in the very southern end of CA that sold for MSRP with no required add-ons. I also received several prices that make you vow to never patronize those dealers (they are also the ones that usually have Ody's in stock...I wonder why ;-P ). Good Luck!
  • tedm5tedm5 Member Posts: 3
    It's been updated. I sent email asking Edmunds for the name of a dealer willing to sell for TMV or to fix their formula. Here's their response:
    Ted,

Our apologies. After looking into the matter, we noted that we have a bit of a glitch on that one and will fix it on the site right away. The TMV
    on the Honda Odyssey should read:
    EX - 27,387 which is 987 above MSRP
    LX - 24,582 which is 682 above MSRP
    Thanks for bringing this to our attention and giving us the opportunity to correct it.

Best Regards,

Bob Kurilko
    Executive Director, Brand Management
    Well, that should produce a few sighs of relief -- thanks Ted! And thanks Bob Kurilko -- what is Brand management?
    driving us crazy! They are currently running TV ads on the soaps for the Odyssey. Sounds good, huh? Try getting them! We are receiving at least 6-10 calls per day, and 2-3 drop ins to see and drive.
    rictom and tedm5 - We appreciate your help in our "Ody Acquisition Strategy". I've e-mailed a batch of dealers directly and used Carpoint and a couple other zip based services. I was almost immediately contacted with stories of having to pay 3-4k over MSRP if I want a van before the 2002's come out - by the dealers with vans sitting on their lots of course. Thanks for your ideas - we'll let you know when we find an EX at MSRP.
  • rictomrictom Member Posts: 89
    I also got emails for much $$ over msrp. I actually enjoyed replying to them to beat a price that I received from another dealer. In most cases these high priced dealers came down pretty quickly. However I focused on the dealers whose original price was more "reasonable" (for an Ody anyway.)
    Pretty funny, were not even into 2001 and they're already saying you might have to wait until the 2002's unless you want to pay up! I'll bet you get a few emails saying "got a van, someone backed out, call me now!"

Good luck
  • dadofthree1dadofthree1 Member Posts: 2
    I just picked up my 2001 granite green Honda Odyssey lx. Been on the sideline reading messages for since April. Here is my experience: Paid $800
    under invoice. Ordered it in late July. I bought
    my van at Dan Young Honda in Indianapolis, also received the same deal at D Patrick Honda in Evansville. No hassle on the price. I bought the cargo tray for $52, the only option I bought. I
    got a loan from People first.com for 7.29%. Wrote the check went out the door, no problems. If anyone wants more info, let me know.
    Dealt with Andrew Ludwig at Dan Young and Jean Jensen at D Patrick.
  • dmathews3dmathews3 Member Posts: 1,739
    Are you sure you don't mean Retail instead of invoice. I have never heard of anyone getting one for invoice let alone $800 under.
  • bostongardenbostongarden Member Posts: 25
    When selecting a dealer based primarily on price, some other factors that consumers should consider:

- Fees that are requested and not required by
    federal or state law (e.g., "dealer prep,"
    "documentation" unrelated to any government
    requirement, "conveyance fee," etc.)

Example:
    Dealer A will sell the vehicle at MSRP and has
    a "dealer prep" fee of $300.

Dealer B will sell the vehicle at $100 over
    MSRP and has a "documentation fee" of $50.

Clearly Dealer B offers the lower price.

- An actual delivery date may be significantly
    later than the delivery date quoted by a
    salesperson (this event may occur due to
    purposely misleading statements by a
    salesperson or factors that are truly beyond
    the control of the salesperson and dealership).

Example:
    Dealer C promises a delivery date of two
    months out for a vehicle priced at MSRP.
    Dealer C always makes good on his
    delivery promises.

Dealer D promises a delivery date of one
    month out for a vehicle priced at MSRP.
    Dealer D, knows that the vehicle will actually
    arrive at the dealership four months out.

Clearly dealer C offers faster delivery.

One should ask explicitly for all costs related to the exchange. One can then decide to either pay, not pay or negotiate any fees that are unrelated and not required by any federal or state law. In addition, one should attempt to obtain the true delivery date for a vehicle.

I believe that there are many other factors to consider when purchasing a vehicle, however, the explicit prospecting by the dealers in the near previous posts above prompted me to focus on these two factors. (I am making no explicit judgments about any of these dealerships or salespeople.)

Happy Car Shopping :-)
  • dadofthree1dadofthree1 Member Posts: 2
    I correct my price in my earlier post. It was $800
    under MSRP.
    Has any body here have gotten a good deal (MSRP) for their Odyssey in the San fernando valley area
    of southern California ? if so please let me know

thank you very much
    We bought our Starlight Silver Ody this Saturday - for MSRP, tax, lisc.fee. No hassles, no dealer prep. fee from Penske Honda in Ontario. Our salesmen were Daniel Seifu and Mark Henry in the Fleet Dept. Both men were professional, polite and honest.
    Thank you for you quick response.