Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    mgrcmmgrcm Member Posts: 53
    How far away was that dealership that they got the TB from?Plus how long had that TB been at that other dealership and been tried out buy who know's how many people.Usually a demo gets driven up to 6000 miles buy a salesman or who ever then gets put on the lot as a demo.When the dealership finds you the car you want then does a swap with that dealership you really don't know how much that car has been test drove first,plus factoring the mileage to get it there.The best bet is to always factory order a car,if you can wait.Most people will beat on the car for that test ride,if the salesman isn't with them IMO.
  • Options
    tblazer503tblazer503 Member Posts: 620
    tblazed, you can not remove the onstar from the LTS or the LT packages, right now, I have heard rumors that unless onstar gets a lot of paying clients, which right now they don't. These are all rumors of course, but hopefully, in a year or two, Chevy will learn; the main problem to my understanding is the DIC is linked somehow to the onstar system, and that is how onstar can do most of their cool tricks(read your error codes, airbags, etc) this of course is all done through the serial databus interface, which runs through the stereo to give sound to the Onstar. Seeing the problem with the dang onstar setup? Thats why I too have the LS; figure sooner or later, GM has to learn(would have gotten a sunroof too, if I didnt have to buy the dang onstar with it!)
  • Options
    why not return the truck? In oregon, at least i believe you have 72 hours to return a vehicle within reason to the dealer(ie no accident, excess mileage, etc) , and get your money back, at least that is my understanding of it; In any case, it cant hurt to milk them for some free oil changes and a couple of free tanks of gas =) (got 2 free oil changes and first 3 tanks of gas for free from my dealership) not much, but hey, time is money.
  • Options
    paulpropaulpro Member Posts: 56
    The shop manual for the Triplets calls for GM AUTO-TRAK II for the fluid in the transfer case. I want to change that fluid, and preferably use a RedLine oil there.

Does anyone know what oil replaces this and what the fill quantity is? The amount is not in the shop manual and RedLine hasn't responded as to the oil cross over.

If this has been addressed before, I apologize. Man, I wish the forum would get a decent search engine.

Paul P
  • Options
    momstruck1momstruck1 Member Posts: 206
    the muffler system , an inside rear quarterpanel because it squeaks and the power steering line and this is as of 7/19/02 . I just got this car and the shop guy told me this is the first one with these problems.(LUCKY ME) well I also had the high revving sound that was mentioned before and he told me that he just got some kind of memo from GM and that he had to explain it to me when I picked up the car. That will hopefully be on Monday the 23 but I missed a call from them on Saturday so we will keep you all updated to see what happens . I have a feeling this is the last chance my husband is going to give GM in 3 years our lease is up and the Japanese cars seem to run better.He has a 2001 sentra and that is the best little car there is no problems since day 1. So maybe they will come out with an SUV I will like and bye bye to GM
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    This is a rather common misconception, but there is no "3 day cooling off period" when buying cars or pretty much anything else. About the only time that would kick in is if someone came to your door and sold you a vacuum cleaner or something.

Here's a link.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • Options
    tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Can't have a sunroof without OnStar. I did not know that. That's as ridiculous as not being able to get fog lights without the blasted OnStar.
  • Options
    cdltcdlt Member Posts: 5
    Thanks for the feedback everyone. I don't think it was heat- or sun-related, it was a cool day with thunderstorms and the TB was parked in an airy carport. I suspect the odometer missed some mileage, although the trip odometers did read non-zero, so they held some values. Guess I'll have to run this one by the dealer.

Daytrip -- do you have the TSB #???
  • Options
    biggie4852biggie4852 Member Posts: 34
    I saw no need for on-star {cell phone works fine}. So I purchase the "LS" model. I tried to get running board and BOSE system but the dealer said he wasn't allow to sale me a car so equipped had to buy a LT or LTZ. So I figure that I could purchase these item as a after market item.
    But I was in the dealer ship later trying to upgrade the factory system to the Bose system and was told it was not possible to do even on an after market purchase." You should have purchase the LT model" is what I was told. I was shock they were being so blunt. It almost like they force a customer to spend more on a vechiles then you want, to get one or two of the more appealing extra. So you purchase thing on a car that are really just waste money to me but pure profit to them.
  • Options
    tlaurotlauro Member Posts: 504
    350 miles isn't bad. dealer trades are common too. demo's....typically 6k miles. not many will go near that far and dealers are taking away in service demos as a perk for cost reasons.

the prep before a delivery is going to very, but most will wash, clean inside and what not. this is typically done while you're inside signing the papers.

the half A@# wash you got....well, not acceptable in my eyes, but if you drove it home and took delivery, too late. won't hurt to complain, but they may not do much. approach it as if they just didn't have time, go ask when they are going to clean and prep it to your standards. play it cool and dumb.

tim
  • Options
    ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    Has anyone else experienced any type of clicking/popping noises with their 2002 TrailBlazer? These noises sound like a switch when they come from the front and sides of the vehicle, but when they come from the rear of the vehicle they sound more like metal that is oil canning. A service manager at a local dealership in my hometown said that they've seen this problem with another 2002 TrailBlazer owner's vehicle, but they can't seem to identify and eliminate the problem(s). The clicking sounds like it's coming from the rear view mirror part of the time, the side sport mirrors part of the time, and the rear hatch area the rest of the time. It's very, very difficult to track down where these noises are coming from. And it doesn't do it every time that you drive it.
  • Options
    Steve is correct in Oregon and in many states.

The 3 day thing is typically a non-issue even when state laws do allow for it as the buyers are usually approved and financed by the banks or leasing companies within a day or so. Once the financing is done, you own the vehicle and the dealer is out of the picture.

tim
  • Options
    ron_mron_m Member Posts: 186
    Are all of the 2002 TrailBlazers' front bumper covers uneven and lacking support underneath in certain areas? Mine is way too compliant in certain areas, and it looks cheap due to its uneven appearance. I would expect a more robust design for a vehicle in the 2002 TrailBlazer LTZ's price range. :-( When you wash the front bumper area the bumper cover becomes displaced quite easily.
  • Options
    mytrip2mytrip2 Member Posts: 12
    If the noise sounds like it's coming from the rear hatch it could be the license plate housing.Check to see if yours has a rubber gasket around it. If not have dealer install one. The TSB # is 02-08-66-004. My Envoy used to make noises from that area till I installed the gasket.
  • Options
    man, that kinda sucks, oh well, guess you just can't make quick decisions with cars then; thanks guys. As for the Bose thing, Biggie4852, your best bet would probably be to get a decent amp, and run high inputs to it, amp them to some new aftermarket speakers; infinity reference has done well for me in the past. With the 6.5" in all panels, it should be decent sound and should run you all of about $5-600 installed <2-300 for the 4 channel amp, ~100-200 for install; $99 ea pair of infinity reference.> IMO; this with a decent sub setup will sound much clearer and deeper than the Bose system.
  • Options
    dinsmoor17dinsmoor17 Member Posts: 4
    After 2 months of fighting with my dealer and having them tell me that the front end noise was coming from the steering column and it could not be fixed I finally had to get under the car to find out what was going on. Both stabilizer links had too much play. It seems odd that they could wear out in 6000 miles. Maybe they were made with too much play but the noise is gone. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Options
    c2h6oc2h6o Member Posts: 32
    I've noticed a few TBs on the road lately (Cleveland area) without any tinting on the rear windows. Is window tinting an option now? I don't see anything on the Chevy web page.

Just curious if anyone knows what the deal is...

-Jason
  • Options
    paisanpaisan Member Posts: 21,181
    Could be fleet vehicles. I know that a lot of manufacturers sell SUVs as fleet vehicles w/o the tinted windows.

-mike
  • Options
    c2h6oc2h6o Member Posts: 32
    Got my new memory mirror actuators installed this past Friday - no more wandering mirrors! Guy at the service desk told me there's a huge back order on these things, so they haven't been able to install too many of them.
    However - he had no idea what I was talking about when I asked for the license plate gasket. I had to point one out on the lot. This despite the fact that the part was supposedly ordered for me along with the mirror actuators and I got a post card saying everything was in.
    Oh well - looks like another visit to the service department this week.

-Jason
  • Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Yeah, it's an option on LS models. Actually, it's included in the first upgrade package, but if you get a base LS, you don't get the tinted rear windows. I've seen several TB's like this, so it isn't uncommon. It's just a base TB LS.
  • Options
    sildogsildog Member Posts: 50
    I did not install any of my aftermarket audio. This was the first vehical where I paid someone else. Main reason was the alledged "you need to relocate the factory unit in the back to keep the vehical working properly" claim by the aftermarket installer. I have since found this not to be true. I don't think it is too hard to do, though, especially if you buy components that fit.

If you go to Crutchfield.com, you can find out exactly what fits and if you buy from them, they send you complete instructions for your car-they tell exactly how to take door panels off, and same for dash panels. They also include wiring harnesses that will plug into your facroy harness. You end up using the factory speaker wires, etc.

I would recommend as mentioned above-for the same money, aftermarket will provide much better performance than unpgrading to the Bose.
    The only drawback of installing aftermarket head unit is that you loose door chimes, low gas chime and Onstar audio. Of course, I was one of those saps that wanted a sunroof so bad that I was forced into Onstar. I will not pay to keep onstar active. The aftermarket installer said they could install a different amp and speaker for the onstar so it would still work.

I do think it is total bull that they make you get Onstar just to get the sunroof. I argued for two hours about that. The dealer was recommending an aftermarket sunroof, but the price of aftermarket that was electric, etc, was similar to the cost of factory with Onstar. Of course I did get that fancy mirror that tells me what temperature it is in some other part of the world-it is never correct for where I am!
  • Options
    jwinkyjwinky Member Posts: 59
    Dins,

Did you notice this when the suspension was activated? I have my Envoy in today for an oil change and various other things, one of them being that it feels as if there is 'play' or a clunk in the steering when going over bumps, especially with the steering wheel turned. Does this sound similar to your problem?

If so, did you adjust the stablizer links, or the dealership?

Thanks,
    JAW
  • Options
    previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    dshepherd3,
    What was the model number of the Piaa fog lights that you installed in your TB LS? If you could do it again, would there be another brand or model that fits inside further?
    Thanks in advance.
  • Options
    daytripdaytrip Member Posts: 10
    My Envoy locked the doors by itself while in park yesterday. This happened when my friend closed the rear hatch with the engine running. Fortunatly, I was sitting in the rear seat at the time, so I could open from the inside. I think I remember other posts like this. For those that have experienced this, what was the fix (if any).
  • Options
    gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    Got this one from my local dealer...

#02-08-49-004

Instrument Panel Cluster (IPC) Gauges Read Zero at Times, Gauges Inoperative at Times (Exchange IPC)
    2002 Chevrolet TrailBlazer, TrailBlazer EXT

2002 GMC Envoy, Envoy XL

2002 Oldsmobile Bravada

Condition
    Some customers may comment that at times all the IPC gauges are inoperative or read zero at times.

Cause
    The IPC cluster module receives information to position the gauges when the key is turned from OFF to ON/START. Random electrical interference with this data information on the serial data line may interrupt the receipt of the information by the IPC. When the IPC data information signal is compromised, the IPC will set the gauges to zero for that complete ignition cycle. The gauges may work properly on the next ignition cycle, if the ignition was off for approximately five minutes prior to the next ignition cycle.
  • Options
    mfullmermfullmer Member Posts: 773
    Could someone please give me the mirror actuator parts #(s)!! My dealer is still claiming that they have no new part number yet. Also, has anyone noticed their rear tailgate gasket splitting? Mine has split about 30% all the way around (at different places) and my dealer claims "no part #".

AAARRRGGGHHHHH
  • Options
    boat10boat10 Member Posts: 59
    Hey Steven, is Edmunds going to do anything about their server?? I was getting on today and it took 3 minutes and 12 seconds to get logged on to this thread. Then when I wanted to go to my message center, it took another 2 and half minuted to get there (WHAT'S WRONG BRO???????). Sure does waste a lot of time getting to where we need to go!!!!!!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    I know it's painful - I have 100's of posts to get through today and at this rate is may take me a few months!

Patience - they are working on it!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs; Aftermarket & Accessories
  • Options
    bruser1bruser1 Member Posts: 31
    No biggie just curious, do you have dail-up or broadband for your connection?
  • Options
    I have cable and it was excruciating all day -- seems a bit better at the moment (maybe everyone on the East Coast finally went home from work, lol?). There's a post over in News & Views saying that it's a hardware problem (again, still?). Something about CPU's this time.

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    Sorry I don't have numbers any more, but Hella makes a small oval type fog/driving lite that has a bracket that centers the unit as far back as possible. If interested give me your e mail # and I will send you pics.
  • Options
    djmurfdjmurf Member Posts: 6
    The mirror actuator part number is 88944479. The part number for the gasket around the license plate housing is 15170981.
  • Options
    Hey just an FYI, just found a site www.trailblazerstuff.com that is dedicated to trailblazer(and probably all the triplets) aftermarket parts; not very good right now, looks like it has a lot of potential, though.
  • Options
    dinsmoor17dinsmoor17 Member Posts: 4
    I removed both links and held the stabilizer with bungee cords so they didn't hit anything. They have a ball joint on each end and are not adjustable. The dealer is replacing them next week. The noise i had is a rattle when you go over small washboard type bumps at slow speeds it was bad. You could feel the play in them that's why i got the idea to disconnect them.
  • Options
    Thanks for the link. Looks like one of the major retailers in aftermarket caught wind of the interest and is dedicating a section of their business to the triplets.

I sent an email today to get a feel for what they believe the lead time is on Jet Upgrades. I still don't think they will ship until late Aug, but we'll see.

Also note that some of the links/pics for the brush and grill bars are not accurate. If anyone finds a standard Bull Bar for the trailblazer let me know please!!!

Thanks.
  • Options
    2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I picked up my TB on saturday and was looking uner it over the weekend. I noticed that the front bumper cover is supported on the top by some styrofoam blocks painted black. I also noticed they painted the spare black. It is an allow rim, but not the same as is on the truck. It is black on both sides. Why not give us the same rim?
  • Options
    it is funny about the spare. another person I know with an LS has the alloy, but yet, my LTZ comes with a plain steel rim painted black.

not sure if yours is painted or what not. haven't seen it up close to see what the deal is.

tim
  • Options
    gator36gator36 Member Posts: 294
    From what I have heard. The spares are on steel rims because of the method they use to store them. Apparently if they were to put an aluminum rim in the spare tire hoist, after time the center of the rim would crack and allow the spare to fall out....

Walter
  • Options
    previousamigopreviousamigo Member Posts: 130
    Please send the fog light pictures to jeff.gilmore@experian.com. Thanks for the help! I get way more help from this site than any dealer or aftermarket store (and my TB needs help)!
  • Options
    I'd go for Hella, Cibie or IPF before PIAAs. I've found PIAA has moved over to the Bling Area rather than actual quality lighting.

-mike
  • Options
    boat10boat10 Member Posts: 59
    Got broadband DSL
  • Options
    tblazedtblazed Member Posts: 945
    Been down this road before a couple thousand posts back (!) My 2WD TB with locking diff. came with a (absolutely, no doubt) cast aluminum black painted wheel on the spare. I had to take mine down and finish the black paint job. Musta been break time at the factory- the bottom exposed side of mine was about 1/2 painted black, the rest bare aluminum. Looked really crappy. Don't know where the story about the wheel hoist wearing out the aluminum center got started. Maybe an excuse someone got from a dealer. Could be something to do with vehicles equipped with Locking diff getting those wheels?
  • Options
    flyersruleflyersrule Member Posts: 47
    There is a great article in the July issue of Techlink about how the cooling fans work in the triplets.

It explains how they work and why they can create excessive noise.

Open this link:

http://service.gm.com/techlink/html_en/pdf/200207-en.pdf#dst01

• Options
    dragonhead08dragonhead08 Member Posts: 34
    I'd have to disagree with the comment about PIAA. Maybe you should take a look at their 80 pro XT or 80 Pro racing. Most 4x4 sites carry them. I have the pro XT's on a waag brushguard. They're about 7" in diameter and put out 120watts each. I can verify with the driving beam version they can light up to 50yards on the backroads. The 80 pro racing use dual filament h4 bulb so you get a high and low beam. They are a little deeper so if space is minimal you might want to go with the XT's. Just try to knock PIAA's quality though. When was the last time you say a relay and wiring harness so well put together? PIAA's have lifetime warranty against defects(no rust, stress cracks, or paint chips.) Lets see CIBIE do that. If you really wanna run withthe big biys you could go with a pair that ipf make. I dont remember the model number but they also incorporate 2 beams, one being 190 watts. There's also a warning that they must have constant airflow when powered up.
  • Options
    I''m sure that there are a few good PIAA setups out there but in general, most off-roaders, especially friends in Australia say that you can't beat Cibie Hella and IPF for beam quality and durability. I've had better experience with Hellas than PIAAs. Maybe I'm just turned off by the $70 replacement bulbs that put out less light than the $20 Hellas in my headlights. The best aftermarket lights I've see are the Hella 4000s w/130w bulbs or Hella 4000 HIDs. Not for the cheap at heart though.

-mike
  • Options
    If you have trouble getting to that aftermarket site, try this link.

Steve
    Host
  • Options
    kitty1956kitty1956 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Trailblazer and have intermittent spedometer problems. It registered going 80 mph when I was probably going 55/60 mph, also when the vehicle is fully stopped it registered 10/15 mph on various occassions. I have brought the vehicle to the dealership twice and they cannot re-create the problem so they cannot fix it and sent me on my way. Has anyone else had this problem?
  • Options
    dragonhead08dragonhead08 Member Posts: 34
    $70.00? what the heck kinda bulbs you buyin? The replacement bulbs for the 80 pro xt's only go for $15.00 and they're 120 watts. You must be talking about their fancy colored bulbs. I'm talkin about the real deal PIAA driving lights. Forget the cibie's my friend had some on his Jeep wrangler and the hosing started to rust after a few years. But the nice thing is they are one of the cheapest out there.The problem with hellas 4000 series is you gotta buy every piece seperately. And the non HID series are only 100watts not 130.The ipf are good but I dont care for their aluminum colored housings.
  • Options
    Come in 130w bulbs now. Cibies are more expensive than Hellas but I've never seen em sold in the US.

I was talking about the PIAA replacement headlightbulbs @ $70 Cheesy blue I think was the color.

The XTs and XT Pros are ok, alot of the subie guys buy em to replace their stock fog lights on WRXs and 25RSs. I prefer the Hella 500/550s

-mike
  • Options
    jeppingjepping Member Posts: 30
    Finally decided to take my Envoy in to get all the minor issues taken care of. To my amazement, neither one of the five dealers in LA area that I called had any knowledge of the license plate housing paint chip problem!? So I had to provide the TSB that was obtained from this board. Many thanks to this board and the person who posted the TSB! Has anyone been able to convince the dealer to fix the loose door hinge baffles? I have a feeling they are going to give me the &#147;it&#146;s normal&#148; routine