Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• dpointerdpointer Member Posts: 5
    I was at my dealership yesterday to get a headlight bulb replaced (after only 9 months?), and while I was there checked on the part number for the deflecter and it is the same as the part number listed for the Envoy. #12497618 so I guess the same part fits all the triplets.

My dealer informed me that the "special order" part number listed here is no longer valid. According to him, that was a limited run and that supply has been exhausted. By mid March (aren't we there now?) all the parts in the distribution channel (ie the old part number for the control modual) will be the "new" version.

As far as the rear deflecter is concerned, I have a pewter TB...do you think I should get it painted or leave it black. I think it looks pretty good in black (great pics!), but I think it might look more "factory" and less "after market" if it was painted to match.

Dave
  • malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    How old are you guys? I mean I had an ankle injury in May which I am still recovering from and to be honest the TB seats are the MOST comfortable seats I have sat on in a car. They are firm, hol dyour spine staright, and keep you positioned correctly. Very comfortable and never have had pains. Many people are so used to mushy seats that suck you in and the consider that comfortable. the truth is your bosy should sit on a firm surface, your seating position should be in a way that your knees are slightly higher than your thighs. I see many people who like to sit stretched back all the way and in reality this IS harming your spine, lower back, and hips. The complaints about the seats so far I have only seen a few on this board so I think GM got the design right, maybe you guys just aren't meant for the TB or you are getting a little too old to drive amidsize SUV and need a bigger one ( no offense I am being serious ) . Good luck!
  • mike376mike376 Member Posts: 5
    The fan clutch is controlled by the computor-so I was told by the dealer. Bought my TB in June and had the front end squealing noise, the license surround chipping, the vibration between 40-50mph(only when towing), hatch pull down strap, "clicking" from engine only twice when cold. The fan problem I had was when towing(remember this is winter right?)the fan would come on and "roar" and I would loose power. The service engine light came on for a day or so and would clear, the dealer finally replaced the fan(which has a good sized wiring harness on it)and it took exactly 30 min to fail again. GM finally told them the transmission fluid temp setting to engadge the fan was too low, they adjusted and has'nt failed in 3 trips towing up north. Not sure if this will be fixed when summer towing comes around but works now.
  • mike376mike376 Member Posts: 5
    has anyone tried driving on sanded roads durring snow storms just to have the paint in front of the rear tires on the back doors blasted off? the molding strip also took a hit. Had to extend the front flaps by adding a larger rubber one to the bottom and side of them. Fighting with dealer over fix- pretty sad if you cant drive your 4x4 in bad weather isnt it? But it is still one great ride!
  • jeppingjepping Member Posts: 30
    Hello everyone,

Jeep lost another customer to GM! Just Got my 2002 SLT Technology Package last week. 350 miles, and so far so good, I love the ride and quietness of this truck. I don’t think I’ll miss my JGC or the service department of the local dealer. About the seats, they are lot firmer than what I’m used to, but feel more supportive and fairly comfortable. Can anyone tell me at what point (If ever) “wondering mirror” problem was corrected by the manufacturer? My Envoys built date is Jan ’02 and I don’t think mirrors return to their exact memorized position.
  • bryancosbryancos Member Posts: 282
    Okay guys, I'll be a guinnea pig and verify the deflector fits the Envoy too. Based on dpointer's msg above, I don't doubt it will. I ordered it today. Total cost of the order from GMPARTSDIRECT was $98.29 (shipping/handling was $14.99), but this was still cheaper than what the local dealer quoted -- there's wasn't one to be found in the entire state of Colorado. 7-10 days UPS Ground... Will keep you posted...
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Funny, but I traded in my Subaru Outback partly because the seats hurt my back. 30,000 miles was enough. I guess you can't make a seat to fit everyone! Jeeps always get blasted for having seats that are extremely soft. I guess you need a good test drive before you buy.

GAM2
  • barlowstevebarlowsteve Member Posts: 3
    has anybody noticed that if you back your trailblazer up then shift into drive and try to accellerate too fast the trans will bang into gear it is like the trans is not in gear until you step on the gas especially after tb is warmed up I found this problem after driveing a couple of miles
  • edl55347edl55347 Member Posts: 46
    I just had the squeel start and took it in. Sure enough, the seal needs to be replaced. They had to order it, so I wil watch to see if the steering wheel is out of alignment when they get done.
    I have the same issue. I had the mud flaps and noticed that when it snowed(Minnesota), the back door would have a build up of snow where it curved out. No damage yet, but decided to install the running boards to prevent any real damage. Ordered them from gmpartsdirect.com.
    They are the 'factory' look and fit great with the mud flaps. Did not have to remove the mud flaps to install the boards.
  • johntrjohntr Member Posts: 71
    Had mine done last week - seems that the parts list only showed the seal. Nothing was written for adjusting alignment. I have a TB 2002 LT.

To cmack: still haven't figured out the seat memory without the armpad control - DIC shows Seat Recall on Remote. I hear a beep when I unlock which I never heard before, but if I can't put the seats in a memory store state, it's useless. I wonder if I can get the extra control & armpad to fit if I could upgrade it... hmm.... ;-)
  • icojonesicojones Member Posts: 61
    Does anyone else find this feature a waste? Why is the delay so long? A real pain for getting in and out of a parallel spot.
  • pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    Were the running boards easy to install? Do they seem to protect that rear door OK? Are your mudflaps the molded hard plastic ones that have a lip that fits over part of the body panel, or are they a flat and more-flexible rubber? Thanks for info.

I was thinking about putting some Westin or Manik stainless steel nerf bars plus molded splashguards on, but the bars may not provide me enough protection. Have any of you put nerf bars on these triplets?
  • envoy2002envoy2002 Member Posts: 26
    Well folks, I just picked up my 2002 Envoy SLT last week. Sharp looking vehicle it is! Went through arbritation process with Chrysler, and within 3 weeks they agreed to buy back my 2000 JGC Limited. I'm 6'4" and lean, and will admit, I preferred the seat ergonomics of the JGC. The seats were softer and slightly flared to hug the hips and lateral trunk better than the Envoy (I feel like I'm sliding more in the seat when going around curves in the Envoy), but my understanding from a friend who has a 2002 Envoy is that the seats will "break in." I am impressed with the Envoy (softer ride and technology)or I would not have gotten it, but wish it had the Jeeps V8 engine... I've gotten used to a "0 to 60" mph in 6.7 seconds engine! But trust me, I WILL NOT miss all the drive shaft, steering, transmission, and bearings problems that repeatedly occurred with my Jeep.
  • iexplore2000iexplore2000 Member Posts: 237
    First I would like to welcome Envoy 2002 to this forum! I am the "friend" that talked him into pursuing arbitration with Chrysler on his Jeep and purchasing his 2002 GMC Envoy SLT! Welcome aboard.. I am sure that you will truly enjoy this invaluable message board!!

Okay.. now on to the seats.. Well, I must admit, I was a little deterred with the comfort of the seats offered in the Trail Blazer. This past summer, I had the pleasure of driving my aunts 2002 TB LTZ from Michigan down to Ohio to have rust proofed at my favorite shop in Columbus. Well, after the first 30 minutes of driving, I noticed that the seats were quite hard (bottom cushion) and were not as "huggy" as the seats that I am more accustomed to. Once I returned the TB back to my aunt in Michigan, my comment to her was that "the TB is a very nice truck, BUT the seats are very uncomfortable for me."

When I began to shop for a new SUV, I stayed away from the triplets because I thought that the seats were uncomfortable, but a quick stop by the local GMC dealer helped me to quickly change my mind. I noticed right away that the seats in the Bravada and Envoy seem to be much more comfortable than the TB. I had to confirm my reasoning, so I went to the local Chevrolet dealer and sat in the TB.. I was CORRECT! I am no expert in seating design, but the seats look fairly identical in shape and size but I noticed that the leather in the TB has that more textured look and feels much more "durable" than that of the Envoy and Bravada's seating which is much softer to the touch. Hmm.. I am wondering if GM used firmer seat cushions on the TB in conjunction with the more rugged leather seating cushions as opposed to the Envoy and Bravada??

Also, just as I mentioned to my friend in the post above (4342), the seats tend to conform to your body after a certain period of time. My seats are much more supportive now than what they were when I first purchased my Envoy SLT and I have 8K on the odometer.

One suggestion that I have for TB owners that are suffering from the "uncomfortable seats" would be to stop by a GMC or Olds dealership and try sitting in both vehicles to see if there is indeed an added softness to the seats offered in these two and not the TB. If so, maybe this has something to do with the firmness of the cushions and could be rectified by ordering the cushions equipped in these two models? Just food for thought!

Thanks!

Dennis D.

IExplore2000@aol.com
    Pepper50, I have the molded flaps. The boards were easy to install. I did it myself by setting one end(back) on blocks to get it close to the right position. I lifted the other end(front) and started the bolts. Went to the back and got those started and then put the rest in and tightened everything down. Took about 45 minutes for both.
    Each board is more awkward than heavy when trying to install them.
    Be sure to follow the instructions for the tightening sequence to get a good fit. 12 bolts seemed like a lot to hold each board, but I put them all in.

It does a much better job of protecting the door after installing the boards. We are supposed to get more snow this week so I will watch it closely and let you know.
  • mgriff27mgriff27 Member Posts: 10
    I changed the oil in my LS TrailBlazer and the whole process was a complete pain in the [non-permissible content removed]. The drain plug was simple and thoughtfully placed in a great place. No problem there. The main hassle was the oil filter. I had to lift the truck with a jack and still had a terrible time getting to the damn filter. Eventually I got the filter off while it was leaking like nothing else and due to the oil being all over it, I dropped the damn thing into my oil collection pan.

Ok, stop laughing...

Any advice? I would like to service my vehicle myself, but not with this hassle. Should I buy ramps? Would that make a difference?

Thank you for any assistance.

Matthew
  • scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    I had a similar oil experience. I did not need to jack the truck up. I've got the 17" wheels so maybe I've got a little extra clearance.
    The oil filter was kind of a pain to get to, but not horrible.
    It did get oil all over when I took it off. I think that's just how it's gonna be. I've got one of those oil pan things with a screen on the top. It comes in handy when you're holding an oil filter with hot oil all over it.
  • mdeymdey Member Posts: 90
    When changing the oil on my TB LS, I turned the wheels to the right to give me some room to reach the filter through the wheel well. I just reached in, but it is a long reach.

I had to use a filter wrench to get it loose the first time, and that made the process a little bit of a physical test (remember the long reach), but I don't tighten the filter nearly as much as the mechanics do (about 3/4 of a turn), so I should be able to get it off by hand the next time. I also placed an old shirt under the filter, and that caught nearly all of the oil that spilled.

I rotate tires every other oil change, so every other time I'll have the added convenience of having the right front wheel off when I go for the filter.
  • cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    johntr: Are you holding in the memory button for 2 seconds after you get the seat to where you like it? It should beep twice to confirm that it's set.

Has anyone got the fumotovalve for their triplet? It let's you flip a lever versus using the drain plug to release the oil. http://www.fumotovalve.com

• jw4gmjw4gm Member Posts: 27
    An old shadetree mechanic's trick.....After you break the filter loose with your filter wrench, slide a plastic bag over the filter and unscrew the filter by hand while it's inside the plastic bag. A bit cumbersome, but not near so messy. Good luck.
  • johntrjohntr Member Posts: 71
    I do not have the memory buttons, that's what my question was about. Is there anyway to set it without those buttons?

I was wondering if the BCM has the setting now, if I get the door arm and switches which support the memory seats if I could install them myself - upgrade my standards?
  • vindog45vindog45 Member Posts: 35
    Has anyone yet determined weather or not the Bravada rear dustguard, will also work on the TB?

Also.. added billet grille to front of my LTZ...looks the nuts!..i not only like it for the look, but it hides whats behind stock grille, which looks awful in sunlight.
  • dpointerdpointer Member Posts: 5
    I wasn't very clear in my last message but the part number for the envoy and TB are the same 12497618. It will fit your TB.
  • jadavisncjadavisnc Member Posts: 8
    Using ramps will give you the added clearance to have space to work - Wally World (Wal-Mart) sells the "tough stuff" plastic ramps that are cheap ($20) and work very well.
    An oil wrench (socket style) works well with an extension. As most of us have experienced, the oil goes everywhere even though there is an drip tray underneath the filter.
  • dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    Has any body installed one yet and did it improve the debris sucked up on the tailgate?
    Also about fuel mileage: first 2 tanks on new TB with 3.42 rear, was 16-16.5, with 50/50 mixed driving in 30degree weather. Also when in auto 4wd remember the frt axles are engaged affecting mileage, and when the the hvac is set to one notch past the heat icon toward the dfr/heat split position, the a/c compressor comes on even without the button being engaged( temps above freezing), just some thoughts on the mileage issue.
  • gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    I'd like to see the 2000 Grand Cherokee that does 0-60 in 6.7 seconds! Car and Driver got 7.5 seconds on theirs and 7.5-8.0 seems the norm for others. C&D got 7.9 seconds out of a Bravada so it really isn't that far behind. Maybe a new GC with the H.O. V-8 might get closer to 7 seconds flat (and it requires premium fuel at that).

GAM2
  • giddens_johngiddens_john Member Posts: 77
    I've had the rear air deflector installed for about a week, in case you missed it pics can be seen at http://users2.ev1.net/~giddens_john/

As far as your question about the debris sucked up on the tailgate, I really haven't had it long enough to comment. I believe it will due to my experience with a rear air deflector on a '98 Explorer though.
  • dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    Thanks John, It is because of your info and pics that I ordered one today.
  • drobin59drobin59 Member Posts: 26
    I just got my white LTZ TB two weeks ago. In a previous post, someone mentioned tailgate paint scraping and that in later production models, a black gasket was added. I have a row of black gaskets that show (when looking at the rear) and they really stick out. If these are the gaskets he was talking about, I agree that it's too bad that they weren't painted the same color as the car. The previous post mentioned a possible fix about that - any word?

Thanks
  • medolarkmedolark Member Posts: 93
    I find the tilt down feature useful on occaision. It takes a little getting used to the delay in returning to normal position, but I feel the inside rear view mirror can be used effectively for that short time.
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    I have done something with my TB that I never did with any other car I've owned. I took it to my dealer for the first and second oil change. I usually go to a neighborhood shop. For $29.00 I get a new filter, 7 quarts of new oil, a car wash, a complete lube job including white grease on all door and hood hinges, a refill on my wiper fluid, and free coffee while I wait. Total time from my house to dealer and back, less than 1 hour. I don't have to deal with dirty shirts, plastic bags, garage or driveway stains, ramps, jacks or broken knuckles or disposing of old oil. The dealer keeps a record of oil changes. With engine failures and other problems, Why do it yourself?
    I just started reading the posts on this forum having just purchased my white LTZ TB two weeks ago. I saw several posts that included the build date. So I checked mine and was shocked to find it was 5/01! Does that make sense? If so it must be one of the first built?
  • mcmathmcmath Member Posts: 7
    I was driving listening to a CD and was changing the EQ settings and all of a sudden the standard eq settings (normal, driver, spatial, talk) turned to the non bose settings eq (1,2,3,4,5,6) they had preset eq values but didn't say pop, jazz, talk, etc. Also the auto volume that usually gave the (on off)selections suddenly allowed the speed volume control settings of min, mod, max. What is going on? After I turned the ignition off the power stayed on for 5 seconds and then reset itself (there was a quick powerdown) after that the settings reverted to the bose radio selections. Has anybody else experienced this with the bose radio/cd?
  • 2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    drobin59,
    Did you buy new, demo, or used? If the sticker inside your drivers door says 5/01, it's old.
  • pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    Wow, that thread title sounds kinda kinky, doesn't it?... :)
    What I'm asking, however, is if there are any greasable zerks on the triplets, or if everything is sealed?
    Thanks.
  • quickdtooquickdtoo Member Posts: 266
    Glad you're happy with em...aside from them doing the dirty work, it allows them access to your pride and joy, cross threading drain plugs, installing the oil filter improperly, not adding enough or adding too much oil, and leaving their greasy prints all around are just a few reasons I do my own work, plus I know it's none right! As far as the lube job, there are no lube points on the triplets. Oil changes are not usually done by the pros, they use the help that washes cars and that sort of thing, same kinda help you find at Jiffy Lube! Tim
    2002slt - I bought the car new.....Do you know when they started making them?

Thanks
    How come it won't let me review old postings? I hit previous discussions or type in an earlier post number and it doesn't go back?
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    drobin59,

Thanks for pointing that out! We've upgraded our software and a few glitches sneaked in - we'll get it fixed!

tidester
    Host
    SUVs
    The Bravada does have lube points for the AWD, but the TB and Envoy are sealed... I've verified it by checking myself, and it's in the maintenence schedule. I don't let the dealer change my oil or wash my car. I take pride in the work I do... I don't like swirl marks in my paint or stripped drain plugs and bulk oil. The dealer has no incentive to make your car last as long as possible. Not to say dealer service is neccessarily bad for the person who lacks the knowledge, tools, or time to perform the maintenence. Better to have the right service performed carelessly than not at all!
  • ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    That's not the case at my dealer in Glenview Il. The shop is clean, the mechanics professional, and the oil change station is in full view through glass walls. I agree some shops are the pits, and some workers are too. I guess I got lucky with Jennings Chevy. When my engine needed to be replaced with 2166 miles, Jennings mechanics changed it. I inspected the work with a microscope and couldn't find anything out of place. No greasy fingerprints either. I've done the do it yourself stuff, but now it just isn't worth it.
    Fiscuss, if you're happy with the service, by all means continue! Especially if you're going every 3000 miles, than the bulk oil shouldn't even make that big of a difference. You're lucky to have found a dealer you trust. Personally, I've just never gotten there. I just feel uncomfortable when I ask what brand and weight they are using, and I get a response along the lines of "Hey Bobby, what brand we got this month?" Yeah, I may be exagerating a little, but from someone who knows multiple mechanics, it does happen! Who knows, maybe I'm just totally anal... wouldn't be the first time I was accused! The best advice I was ever given about self service... Don't do it to save money, because you never will! Factoring in time and parts, you'll never beat a dealer. Self service is all about self re-assurance. My advice to those who do use dealer's though. Ask the questions you would have to ask if you were to do it yourself. Can I provide my own oil and filter, and have the dealer install it? Can I supervise the work? Show me the used parts, and return any unused portions... You get the idea.
  • mraumrau Member Posts: 50
    ..... GM started building the Triplets in the Spring of 2001 (April or May). If you have a build date of 5/01, I would say it has been on the dealer lots for a while. The earlier models had some recalls, so be sure to check that they have been done. Don't believe there has been any recalls since Oct. 2001.

----Mike
  • pcrisppcrisp Member Posts: 22
    What is the purpose for the rear air deflector? I can't imagine anyone ever driving around with the back window swung open, unless you carrying 2x4's or something. Does it actually do anything for normal driving noise or something. Or is it simply for looks? Just wondering.
    Tidester - Still unable to go back to earlier posts - any word on how long the software fix will take?

Thanks!
  • jhtjht Member Posts: 24
    I haven't put one on my Bravada yet (I probably will, though), but deflectors usually help keep the rear window clear of water and debris by blasting air over it. I do find that a lot of dust and grit settles on the back of mine - the same thing used to happen with my old Blazer, too.

Most of my friends who have deflectors on their trucks have less of a problem with this.
  • giddens_johngiddens_john Member Posts: 77
    Good question pcrisp, I'll try to answer it as accurately as possible. Sorry if I add information you already know, just want to be thorough. First let me note the difference between a spoiler and a rear air deflector.
    A spoiler is generally found on sports cars and it's purpose, if it's built correctly, is to create a down force of air at the rear of the vehicle to improve a cars handling at higher speeds. Off the top of my head, a new VW Beetle turbo comes to mind as having a correctly designed spoiler, at a specific speed the Beetle's spoiler raises up to keep the rear end firmly planted to the road, and on one of the car magazine TV shows on TNN, I remember hearing the statement that the Beetles top speed was increased by having the spoiler. With that said, there are quite a few cars out there that have a non functional spoiler, in other words those spoilers are purely cosmetic and don't provide a down force of air, just the looks of a sporty car. You can generally tell the difference between the two because one will be aimed at an angle to create down force while a cosmetic spoiler will be aimed flat creating no down force.
    Now on to the root of your question. A rear air deflector is mostly marketed towards SUV's, and it's purpose is to shoot a stream of air down the back of an SUV, over the rear window. If designed correctly it's supposed to reduce the amount of dust and debris that accumulates on the rear window and the rear of the SUV, and to clear the rear window of water droplets faster in rainy conditions. I had one on a '98 Explorer, and I didn't get it installed immediately after the purchase of the vehicle, so I got to see the difference with and without it and can attest that it did work as intended. The back glass did stay cleaner and cleared rain droplets faster with the rear air deflector. Having said that, I'll admit I bought the rear air deflector for the Explorer for it's looks at first, not really putting much stock in the marketing of it's ability to keep the rear glass clean, but to my surprise it did work.
    Now with my Bravada, I'll admit I again put it on there for cosmetic purposes, I think it gives it a more aggressive look, and if it really does keep the rear glass cleaner that will just be a benefit to it's looks, but not why I installed it.
    As far as your specific questions about the back window being swung open, and whether it actually does anything for normal driving noise. It does nothing for normal driving noise, in fact it likely adds some wind noise due to the fact it's creating a down force of air. I personally haven't noticed any increase in wind noise, but maybe I've been to one too many rock concerts to notice any added wind noise. I'm not following your question about the back window being swung open. Could you clarify that question?
  • envoy2002envoy2002 Member Posts: 26
    I find, or should say, "will find" the tilt feature usefull since my job entails driving to client homes,which means I often park in the street. Why would this be usefull? Well, no matter how carefull I was with my Jeep, or 4Runner in the past, I often scraped the passenger side tires aginst the curb. Kind of tears up the tires. At least now, I can see how close the curb is! By the way, I programmed only the passenger mirror to tilt, and don't think it takes long at all to revert back to normal position. Just my 2 cents worth.
  • pcrisppcrisp Member Posts: 22
    Thanks for the explanations! I never thought about it keeping the back clean. My black Bravada is always mega dirty with water spots always after the rain. I thought that it was supposed to reduce noise turbulence, hence the question about the back window being open. It would make since to delect the wind from the back window of a 70's station wagon that had the window roll down into the rear door. That is why I question the need for it on a window that was a lift gate kind. The fact that it may keep the back of my Bravada clean may be enough of reason for me to order one. Plus it does look cool. Thanks again.