Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Buick Rainier, Chevy TrailBlazer, GMC Envoy

Comments

• Options
    dankirkdankirk Member Posts: 19
    Trickyrick,

You have six speakers, there are two in each front door (a mid-range and a tweeter), and one speaker in each rear door. The dash locations are for the Bose upgrade.
  • Options
    mil6753mil6753 Member Posts: 71
    Feb 28 I picked up my 2002 Bravada. The first 'defect' I noticed driving home from the dealership was the driver's side mirror would vibrate enough while driving that it distorted the image. Passenger side is fine. I decided I could live with the vibration until I took it back to the dealer for the gratis first oil change. However, yesterday (430 mi. on the odometer) when I started the car and load leveling system came on, it sounded so obnoxiously loud I knew immediately something wasn't right. I could always hear the system come on, but it has always been much quieter. I turned off the car, and opened the back panel to get access to the air hose (for pumping up tubes, air rafts, dolls, etc. I'm sure). As soon as I pressed the button to activate the compressor, the same grumbling sound happened, but amplified since the car wasn't running. Has anyone experienced problems with their load leveling system? If so what was wrong? I have an appt tomorrow night to get the mirror and leveling system looked at - any ideas from experience are appreciated.

I love this car and have no other complaints. I negotiated down to invoice and then received $4752 in discounts/incentives off that. Black exterior, tinted the front windows, black running boards, gold pkg.

Luckily, I still have my '99 Aurora for a couple more weeks as I don't feel comfortable driving the Brav until I know what's wrong.
  • Options
    drobin59drobin59 Member Posts: 26
    I too have one fog lamp that is noticeably looser than the other and has some water or condensation inside. Going to have the dealer check it out.

I understand that GM offers chrome or black tubular running boards for the TB and they are pictured in the back of the brochure. Any truth to that, and if so is there a product number?

Thanks
  • Options
    Where exactly does this occur? Around the license plate frame? I don't see any damage on my TB yet!
  • Options
    2002slt2002slt Member Posts: 228
    Drobin,
    It occurs around the large plastic frame on the tailgate. It's caused when the plastic expands from heat. It scrapes away some of the paint where it meets the metal. I only had one small spot when I first looked a few weeks ago. I looked again yesterday and didn't see anything. This was because it was in the sun, so it expanded over the damage. Once I parked it back in my garage and it cooled off, I noticed two more spots. I'm really not too concerned with it. There's still primer there to keep it from rusting. And, unless you're looking for it you can't notice it.
  • Options
    kkakkokkakko Member Posts: 9
    I took my TB to the dealer today and showed the chipping to the technical advisor. He said he have never seen it before. I asked him to check with GM if they already have a solution for this or not.

I am afraid that eventually the primer will also be scraped and rust will appear there. If it happens I am anticipating a big headache to have it fixed properly and under warranty.
  • Options
    pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Sorry GAM2, I thought it was a plus that these vehicles are made by American UAW workers. I suppose some people could care less if their clothes are made in El Salvador, their computers in Korea and their cars in Mexico...
  • Options
    drummindrummin Member Posts: 1
    This past Friday evening sometime during the night the air bags completely deflated and will not re-inflate. When I tried to use the switch in the rear compartment it fell into the well behind the inside wall. Well I am about to take it back to my dealer and see if they can figure out what happened. The manual states that you can drive the vehicle and the also felt confident about that. My question is has anyone else had this experience? I only have 3000 miles on it, so this seems to be a bad omen. I am also experiencing the wandering drivers side outside mirror. The dealer says that Olds will have a fix next month?????? This is very annoying as I have to reset the mirror almost every time I start the vehicle. I will try and keep you informed as to what the dealer does to fix this air bag problem.
  • Options
    Just purchased a TB -LTZ. Will be putting 15-20,000 miles on each year. I'm wondering if I should get the extended warranty (5 yr. - 75,000) for about $1,900. Seems to me that with all the issues that have come up on this board, the extra piece of mind may be worth it.

There is no deductible and is refundable for the unused portion. Opinions please?

Thanks!

Also thanks for the info. on the paint chipping.
  • Options
    gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    Pluto5: Maybe I mistook your note as a knock on non-union designers and engineers. I'm non-union and our shop is. We all get along great and try to make the best components possible. With some Toyotas made in the states, some Fords in Mexico,
    and some GMs in Canada, it truely is a world economy we are dealing with! America has come a long way in the production of cars and trucks.

Drobin59: $1900 seems high for that warranty. Was that a discounted price? They can and will discount the price of a warranty.

GAM2
  • Options
    dshepherd3dshepherd3 Member Posts: 194
    You could wait and see how the truck is for a while before going for the ext coverage. Remember in effect it is only a 2 year 39k coverage because of the overlap. Also a lot of the computer controls and efi parts are covered for 80k.
    The latest TB appears to have a gasket between the mlding and the tailgate to alleviate the paint problem, so there maybe a permanent correction coming.
  • Options
    ducatist4ducatist4 Member Posts: 28
    Just my two cents. It is refundable, but prorated. That is your SUV is covered for 3 years, so you are only getting 2 extra years as noted above. But if you ask for a refund in 3 years, they will give you less than half of $1900 back. Check warranty gold, they offer extended warranty contracts which appear to be very good, and more affordable.
  • Options
    racoonlodgeracoonlodge Member Posts: 34
    Drobin59 - Check out that extended warranty cost.I took the extension (2 more years up to 75,000 miles) because the factory is 3 years / 36,000. I paid $1500 for it and I'm guaranteed a vehicle if they keep it overnight. I'm sure I'll have up to 75K in 5 years, plus the TB is in its infant year. One should expect problems, shouldn't one? Plus, the extended warranty is transferable. I just feel better with it.
  • Options
    icojonesicojones Member Posts: 61
    Sometimes I would swear that a window is open when I'm driving on the highway. Would vent visors help this?
  • Options
    cmack4cmack4 Member Posts: 302
    I think the steering on the Bravada is very senstitive... In fact, it took me about 2 weeks to get used to it! The body roll I also feel is normal for an SUV of it's size. Although it's noticable, I've never felt like it wasn't firmly planted even when entering corners a little faster than I should. Really, you can read all of the reviews in the world, but you need to drive the vehicle and draw your own conclusions about how it handles. I test drove the competition and I thought it cornered as well as or better than most of them. Regarding the warranty, if they're willing to waive it for an extra $1000, let them! You don't fill any extra paperwork out or get a card... the only verification is the purchase date of the vehicle, since it is time sensitive. You could always take it to another dealer for service!

Lube points:

There are 2 U-joints in the AWD system that need lubrication (on the shaft just before the axles). The rest appear to be sealed. Here's a link to the online service manual http://www.oldsmobile.com/bravada/owners/defaultcc78.html

It has you "lubing chassis components" every 3000 miles. Anyone find any other points?

• Options
    I noticed a slight difference in wind noise after installing the weatherflectors from Macneil, but the bigger difference was with the windows cracked! You can actually carry on a coversation with the windows cracked now! Besides the roof rack that everyone points out, you might also want to check the baffles that are installed on the inside of your wheel wells. Not the plastic ones closest to the whees, but the rubber ones that are visible when you open your door and look in toward the front quarter panel. I found that the glue on mine was loose, and it caused wind noise during cross winds... After I crawled underneath and reattached them, I haven't noticed any wind noise whatsoever.
  • Options
    Thanks everyone for the info! I think I can get it down to around $1,500. Seems like a lot, but just a few visits to the shop and it's worth it , not to mention the peace of mind.
  • Options
    elt93722elt93722 Member Posts: 7
    pepper50:
    I did not have to put on chains because I had snow tires on my Envoy. The conditions at the time allowed 4-wheel drive vehicles with snow tires to go on without chains. I was told by a coworker that I might need chains even on snow tires so I brought some along anyway (he drives a 4WD Tahoe w/ snow tires).

johntr:
    The squeal occurred when I applied the brakes and it sounded like it was coming from the left front wheel.
  • Options
    I've ordered the ventvisors for my TB from the dealer and they should be in any day now. I assumed that they somehow fit into the window channel but I've heard that these actually stick to the other door panel with 3M tape. Is this correct? I don't want to stick anything on the door panel!

Thanks!
  • Options
    sunpiratesunpirate Member Posts: 5
    Hi drobin59,
    The ones from Gm do adhere to the outside of the door frame.They don't seem to be as attractive as the weather tech ones from Mcneil which make a clean fit inside the window channel.You can check out Mcneils website.
    Good luck,
    sunpirate
  • Options
    vfontvfont Member Posts: 13
    This is strange and it just started yesterday. We had some pretty bad weather here on the east coast and for the first time, I used the 4HI setting on my Envoy. While I was turning my wheels to pull into a parking spot, it seemed like the transmission suddenly locked up. Actually, it felt more like someone was stepping on the brakes. The car wouldn't go unless I gave it a considerable amount of gas.

This doesn't happen when the wheels are straight, only if they are turned. And it doesn't matter if I'm going forward or in reverse. Keep in mind, I'm only moving at 1 - 2 miles per hour when this occurs.

Anyone have any thoughts on this???
  • Options
    pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    Got a peek at the auto show this weekend. Unfortunatly the car was roped off and could not get a good look. It is longer than the Envoy itself and gives you nice room as opposed to the Explorer. Rumor has it a V-8 will be offered as an option ?? The I-6 seems sufficent. The third row seat fold flat. GMC website says though that the third row seat would not be available with Leather trim. ??
  • Options
    malibu99malibu99 Member Posts: 305
    I believe that is because you have all 4 wheels spining with the engine so it will feel tight. Go to an empty parking lot, put it in 4 wheel drive and do a circle, you will feel it tight and hessitant, that is the nature of 4 wheel drive.
  • Options
    The 3rd row seat seldom comes in leather trim... Even the Acura MDX has a vinyl 3rd row. If they can match the seating surfaces of the other seats, which are leather, and the vinyl that surrounds them... there shouldn't be anything that noticable, except maybe comfort level! But that's any oxymoron anyway, third row comfort =)
  • Options
    johntrjohntr Member Posts: 71
    malibu99 touched on it, but here's a little more detail. All wheels are trying to turn at the same speed but as you make a turn, the inside wheels don't have to turn as fast as the outside wheels. However, with the power to all wheels, they have not choice, the shuddering you feel are the tires skipping and sliding on the road surface. I first noticed this in my wife's Jeep Wrangler when I first used 4wd. I don't think this small amount of driving would damage your tranny while parking. If anyone else has any thoughts on this, please post.

My 2002 TB is the first vehicle I have had with the A4WD setting. Does anyone have any recommendations on the best use of this setting? I often wonder if it would be best to use on rain slick roads or just mainly sand, snow, or slush driving. Any and all advice is appreciated!
  • Options
    scottc454scottc454 Member Posts: 356
    johntr, that's not exactly correct. For these vehicles, the differentials in both the front and back are open and will allow the outside wheels to travel faster than the inside wheels. No problems here. True, you can get a locking rear differential, but it won't lock under these circumstances.

The problem is that in 4WD the torque is being distributed evenly front to back. Well, during a turn the front wheels will be travelling along different radii than the back wheels and that's what's causing the problem.

So overall, it's a fore/aft issue rather than a left/right issue.

As for A4WD, I use it in variable conditions, where there's patches of snow & slush followed by dry patches, as I don't want to subject 4 Hi to the dry patches for reasons similar to the above problem. You probably wouldn't need it in rain but it can't hurt.
  • Options
    mike376mike376 Member Posts: 5
    Ins1, have read in a earlier post to used a plastic grocery bag covering the filter(open the top). Tried it this w/e and it worked great!!
    Now I will have to try it on my ford F150--talk about a mess!!!!!
  • Options
    gam2gam2 Member Posts: 316
    I got a GM warranty card for my Bravada. It has a number and shows Major Gaurd, 6/60, $0 deductible.

Scott454 is correct. The rear wheels take a shorter arc when turning. The tighter the turn, the more the binding. Most mfg's say not to use
    4wd on dry pavement. Auto 4wd is OK. The tranny will likely take the stress as it's the tranfer case and the axles that are taking the load.

GAM2
  • Options
    johntrjohntr Member Posts: 71
    . . . for the clarification scott454 & gam2. Also for the suggestions of use with A4WD. This is the first 4WD vehicle I have owned & I don't want to risk harm to the tranny. My wife has a Jeep, but it is a lease. She wanted to see what it would be like to drive so I didn't buy, just in case. Now I'll have to buy her one in May, so she won't drive my TB! :-D
  • Options
    ficussficuss Member Posts: 541
    drobin59: I purchased the GM major guard extended warranty a few months ago. the cost was about $1500.00 American dollars and it came with a $100 deductible. They offered a 0% financing deal and are taking 12 payments charged to a charge card. After reading about everything that it covers, very little is left not covered. It is transferable to future owners should I sell and is a 5 yr 75k mile warranty. After having my engine replaced at 2166 miles, I became a believer in the concept of extended warranties. I feel much better now about buying a first year model. This truck has more technology than most third world countries. IMO $1500.00 is cheap insurance

P.S. Go Union!!
  • Options
    crestonavecrestonave Member Posts: 209
    With the lease on my 1999 Bravada ending 3/23, and after considerable shopping on the internet as well as at various dealers, I finally decided on a black 2002 Bravada with pewter interior. The car was in transit to the dealer when I bought it, so hopefully I will be able to take delivery in a day or two. Car comes with convenience package, Bose, bun warmers (aka heated seats) and a sunroof. Got a $3000 discount off list, plus rebates, plus 3.9% for five years. Can't wait to put this bad boy on the road! The '99 has been good to me but couldn't buy at a fair price. Besides, I'm entitled to a new car, don't you think?

Curiously enough, I have never seen a 2002 Bravada on the road until last night, right after I signed the paperwork for the new car. While heading west on the LIE during a light rain, a beautiful black Bravada passed me! Must be a sign that I did the right thing.

I'll keep you posted as to my experiences. Thanks to all who answered my questions and posted their advice.
  • Options
    In checking with my dealer about running boards, I was surprised to find that GM offers chrome tubular running boards. GM parts direct has them for $300.30. No picture. Anybody seen these???

GM part # 12497680

Thanks!
  • Options
    missouri2missouri2 Member Posts: 41
    my bravada has a build date of 06-01. i have 2000 mile on it. the problems have been the mirrors, wind noise, ( removed the cross bars, no help in fixing problem, a rattle on the pass. side that happens when the truck has been driven for a while and the heating and cooling system does not seem to do as well as my other cars. the a/c runs all the time and the fan never shuts down. the only way to heat the truck is to turn it to 90 degrees. after saying my problems they sound small, i have a friend that just bought a 2002 bentz suv with a v8. the truck will corner about as good as my 98 vette but the wind noise is awful and it rattles like a can of bolts. he got a heck of a deal just paid $50,000.00 for it. after riding and driving his suv i am happy
  • Options
    sweiblingsweibling Member Posts: 5
    The manual lumbar support in my Trailblazer LS doesn't seem to be adjustable enough. Even when it is on the lowest setting, there is still a bulge that is noticeable enough to be uncomfortable. Is there any way to get rid of the lumbar support or turn it down further, and can anyone please explain how the lumbar support works? Any advice is appreciated.
  • Options
    dielectric7bbdielectric7bb Member Posts: 324
    Can't tell you about the Tb specifics, but lumbar supports do have a purpose. When sitting upright ones spine is compressed. Spinal disks high up the cord (shoulders and neck) don't have much of a load to carry. Disks which are lower to ones rear-end carry a higher load. The lumbar support is intended to ease the load upon the lumbar (lower) discs. I believe it does this by pushing into ones lumbar area and your back transfers some of the load into the seat-back. I think a lumbar support may do more than what I have said above...but it's been a while since my biomechanics class :)
  • Options
    giddens_johngiddens_john Member Posts: 77
    GM part # 12497680 are what I have on my Bravada. They are not chrome, they are clear anodized aluminum. You can see my pics at http://users2.ev1.net/~giddens_john/
  • Options
    sweiblingsweibling Member Posts: 5
    Thank you for the information. I know the lumbar support does serve a purpose, but it is much more uncomfortable to arch your back than it is to lean back into the seat. I would like to know how the lumbar support works, as I have no idea what there is inside the seat that adjusts. I would appreciate it if someone could explain the mechanical details of the inside of the Trailblazer's seat.
  • Options
    Looks like you got all the options I want!!

Are the running boards easy to keep clean?

Are those the ventvisors from GM - the ones that stick on? If so, how are they holding up?

Does the rear reflector work for you? No wind noise or vibration?

Did you have the dealer install so as to have the warranty protection?

Thanks again for the info!! Take care!!
  • Options
    jddulikjddulik Member Posts: 2
    Hello... Before asking my question, I'd like to say that all the posts on this board really helped before I bought my Trailblazer LS in October.

I've had some of the usual "issues" -- paint scrapes around the rear license plate, a little vibration in the accelerator at 50-55 MPH, and a little whistling on the driver-side mirror -- but all in all the TB is a great car.

My question -- I bought the in-dash 6-disc changer to swap with my CD/cassette, but I can't quite figure out how much of the dashboard/console has to come apart to get the radio out. Has anyone else tried to get to the radio, and if so, what is the least I can take apart and still get the radio out?

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    The part number you gave, and from John's photos, are more like running boards. By "tubular" if you mean you are interested in side bars (also called "nerf bars" and sometimes "step bars") check out these links:

Manik stainless side steps Envoy (Manik also has Trailblazer step bars but I don't know about Bravada)

Westin Platinum Series

There are some other companies that make good step bars that you can see on the web, too, such as Smittybilt, MAAP, and more. Most of these are available in black powdercoat, chrome, stainless steel, or black stainless steel. The mfg. says they warrant the stainless steel against rust for life. The non-stainless varieties generally have a 5-year warranty. Westin also has a chrome-covered stainless steel (platinum series) guaranteed not to rust. If you shop around online, you can find the stainless for about $360, the non-stainless for $280 or so. The Westin site also shows some running boards. I've been looking at all this for the last couple weeks trying to decide what I want to do. I like the look of the bars, but I'm thinking that boards might offer chip protection for the rear door panel. The bar would be better than nothing though, and may provide about 2/3 the amount of protection I'm guessing. Coupled with mudguards maybe it would be enough. Good luck.
  • Options
    Are the running boards easy to keep clean?
    So far no major problems. Water spots do show up on the black plastic, but nothing a little armor all won't take care of.

Are those the ventvisors from GM - the ones that stick on? If so, how are they holding up?
    The vent visors are the GM stick on kind. Not a flaw so far. In a previous post I mentioned some issues I had with the kind of vent visors that tape into the window channel on a previous vehicle, so the stick on kind are just what the doctor ordered.

Does the rear deflector work for you? No wind noise or vibration?
    No wind noise nor vibration. I've recently had an opportunity to experience it's effects in the rain, and it was my perception that I could see the rain bead up and roll down the window. Kind of like the way the water blows off at a touch free carwash with the air blower drying option. This was the same experience I had with the air deflector I had on my '98 Explorer.

Did you have the dealer install so as to have the warranty protection?
    Indeed I did. That and the peace of mind that they were responsible for putting it on right without damaging anything, less they deal with my wrath.
  • Options
    I thought I'd let y'all know I added all the parts and their numbers from the 2002 Bravada Accessories Catalog to my Bravada site with the exception of GM's trailering accessories. I had the catalog faxed to me form a dealer in Michigan so some of the part numbers were smudged. In those cases I inserted a ? for the numbers I wasn't sure about. I requested a catalog from Oldsmobile's 1-800 number, so when I get it in the mail I'll fill in the blank numbers and if I can I'll scan in the pictures and descriptions to put next to the appropriate accessory. Just to be redundant the URL is

http://users2.ev1.net/~giddens_john/

If anyone notices any errors please let me know.
  • Options
    allenrallenr Member Posts: 89
    Hi Jeff,

Do you have the GM part number for the in dash cd changer? I would like to get one for my Bravada

Thanks

Allen
  • Options
    dyatesdyates Member Posts: 13
    I believe I had read that our Triplets use a serial communication bus(similar to other high end vehicles such as BMW). It reduces unnecessary wires and should contibute to a more efficient system.

Hoewever, I was reading an article for GM technicians that indicated that you shouldn't upgrade/exchange the radio.

1. The harness is specific to that level sound system.

2. On Star, Chimes, Theft deterrent system, steering audio controls etc., may become inoperable.

If anyone has changed their cassette/CD over please let me know. Overall, I am happy with my Bravada's "Basic" audio system.
  • Options
    vindog45vindog45 Member Posts: 35
    has anyone installed aftermarket wood dash trim on their TB......curious how it looks, and if hard or easy to install?
  • Options
    Just saw this on ebay... It's one of the 2002 Olds' Bravadas that was used in the Indy 500 up for auction.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/ebayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1814426868&r=0&t=0

• Options
    Well except for no Bravada section. There's a conspiracy I guess. I haven't seen these listed here so here they are.

For the Trailblazer.

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/accessories/modellistTra.html

For the Envoy.

http://www.gmgoodwrench.com/accessories/modellistEnv.html

I've also added the .pdf versions of the catalogs to my site along with the links.

http://users2.ev1.net/~giddens_john/

That's all for now.
  • Options
    pepper50pepper50 Member Posts: 195
    John's great Bravada photos clearly show his molded front splash guards together with his anodized sidesteps. I'm perplexed by something I read on the accessories websites for Envoy and Trailblazer, however. For the latter two, it says that "only the rear guards can be used with running boards." I'm curious if likewise for Bravada, the same exclusion will be stated in their brochure/website, but that John has proved them wrong. Anyone know of a reason why it says TB and Envoy can't have the guards with a board, but the Bravada apparently can? Thanks.
  • Options
    paulpropaulpro Member Posts: 56
    If you don't have access to the shop manuals, that illustrate how to remove the console/dash panel around the radio, there is another option.

Pro-Fit makes some cellular phone brackets and have instructions on how to remove this panel to get access to the radio area.

Go to this site then select the model you have:

http://www.pro-fit-intl.com/ColdFusion/compatibility.cfm

PS: the radio uses a serial bus communication system and unless you're putting in another 2002 GM triplet radio, you're walking into a minefield. If the radio comes out, you'll experience all kinds of computer problems.

Paul P

• Options
    fletch45fletch45 Member Posts: 72
    I have the GM molded mud guards on my TB. I have the factory running boards, and there is absolutely NO interference. The Chevrolet parts catalog also said the fronts would not work with running boards. The parts man offered to get them so we could see why...trust me, they fit fine.
    jim f