Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Lincoln LS

Comments

• Options
    ls1bmw0ls1bmw0 Member Posts: 782
    slunar1: I can't remember do you have the sport wheels or the non-sport? If you have the non-sport I've got the stockers with Michelin Sport XGTs from the project car. If you think one of your wheels are out of sorts, we can always arrange to ship one out to you to try, though it might be quicker to find a Hunter machine in your area.

Brian
  • Options
    dbossmandbossman Member Posts: 28
    Sorry to stir the controversy....

Here is a link to a page from the BlueOvalNews website. It shows actual ford documents that list the cost of a wide variety of parts used to make the Ford Focus including several glass components. Now this does not establish a specific cost for the LS Windshield, but it does give us an idea of the ball park. Net net, Airwolf, you're probably right. Auto glass is dirt (sand) cheap! Sorry Joe166!

http://www.warnerrobert.com/ford/focus/focus_costscharts.htm

• Options
    brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    It sounds like you have washed your hands of the dealer. If so, I suggest you find a tire shop in your area with a Hunter machine. Also, check out the Hunter website. Lot of good stuff there.

From all the discussion, the problem clearly has not been isolated, yet. You need to eliminate the tires/wheels from suspicion first, IMHO. If they are not the culprit, then move on to driveline or suspension. Then, it is probably dealer-time again! A good Tech with a Hunter can tell you a lot, though. Since the original tires were replaced, I would be suspicious if they were properly indexed to the rims, anyway.

And, yep, the GT + 4s are evil noisy. No amount of indexing or balancing will fix that. I would be upset if the dealer put those on without your approval. I wonder if they would work with you on a swap for Michelins?
  • Options
    airwolf1000airwolf1000 Member Posts: 225
    Thank you for restoring my name.. It is so easy to accuse someone of lying or making things up, its unbelievable. Man imagine what it is like in politics where people are really out to get you.

Now back to the LS....

Airwolf1000
  • Options
    What is the opinion of the Transmission Gods regarding parking cars on Inclines? It is hard to get the transmission out of park.. Is it detrimental to the transmission? If it is detrimental what are the negative side effects? Is there any technique for engaging the parking brake so that the transmission does not bear the brunt of the Load... All of your TIPS, Feedbacks and Comments welcome.

Regards,

Airwolf1000
  • Options
    If I recollect correctly the parking pawl (the little pin that plugs into a matching hole and locks the tranny in park) is about 1/8 or 1/4 inch in diameter. Not much insurance to holding your car on a hill IMHO. I've had good success with holding down the brakes first and then applying the parking brake. This usually seems to enable better holding power than just applying the parking brake without doing that.

Brian
  • Options
    fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    I just came across this site and have read the last 100 or so posts. I had a vibration problem with an '01 V6 LS Sport several months ago. It was most pronounced at 50 to 40 MPH with no acceleration.

After checking balance and swapping tires vibration was still there. Dealer changed axles (based on advise from Lincoln) - no help. Dealer then changed universal (after 3 week wait on parts) and that is where the problem was. Teeth were slightly off center. While the dealer said they had not seen this particular problem before, maybe it's the source of some of your vibrations.

Lincoln and the dealer (Palm Beach - PBLM) provided excellent service in my case. Of course, I didn't know some of you were having similar problems. This was after driving a non Sport V-8 company car in 2000 with no problems. Everything considered, I still love my V6 LS Sport.
  • Options
    mkovalskmkovalsk Member Posts: 114
    The park pawl is a pretty beefy part. It will not hurt anything to park on a pretty big grade. We test many in and out cycles on a steep grade, but I can't tell you what grade that is. Sorry.

Here's how I park on a grade. Stop with the car in gear. Shift to neutral. Apply the park brake. Take my foot off the service brake, then shift to park. When leaving, foot on the service brake, shift to reverse or drive, then release the park brake.

Mark
  • Options
    Thanks Mark and Brian... Good to know... I will pass it on to all of my friends...

Regards,
    Airwolf1000
  • Options
    joe166joe166 Member Posts: 401
    I am sorry if I offended you, but these documents from the Blue Oval site prove nothing. If you had posted that flat glass from a door cost under $10 I would never have questioned your statement. The fact that you think that these costs for flat glass from a Ford Focus that fits on a door or is even fixed, somehow justifies your comment that a curved, tinted and moisture sensing windshield costs $14 tells me all I need to know. I did appreciate the comments about attorneys. I am used to them. The next time you are in trouble, call a chiropractor. My friends who have the most fun with Lawyer jokes get charged the most. Payback is hell!
  • Options
    Good information. There have been a few folks with vibration issues. Your dealer did the right thing - didn't give up until you were satisfied.
  • Options
    My point about the cost figures was simply to demonstrate that the $$ Ford pays for parts is substantially less than one might guess. I agree that a windshield would cost more than door glass. No one is suggesting otherwise.

If you have referencable facts to offer in support of your opinion, please do. I have offered something that shows some interesting cost figures. Its not perfect, but's its better than pure speculation.

Lighten up dude.
  • Options
    joe166joe166 Member Posts: 401
    Which opinion do I need to get facts to support? All I said was that to suggest that the windshield in an LS cost $14 to make seemed to be wrong. I still think that. It is awfully hard to prove a negative. I don't think I can prove that it DOESN'T cost $14.00 because I don't know WHAT it costs. I am somewhat amused by the fact that a flat window for a door or even a quarter panel window that is fixed costs almost that much, but I did not opine on that. It certainly doesn't prove that my opinion is wrong. In fact, even if it were proved that the cost of materials for an LS windshield was $14 it would not invalidate my original post that just because someone says so, it is not necessarily so. That was all I said. If someone got their nose out of joint, I am sorry, but the suggestion that a windshield has a mark up of 10,000% (or whatever it is) was the gist of that post and I will reiterate that someone will have to prove that to me as it is counter intuitive to my experiences although I admit that I do NOT know the actual cost of manufacturing a windshield for the LS. I do not consider someone posting that a friend told them it cost $14 to be proof of anything but that the friend told them that, which I never doubted. What I doubt is the accuracy of the original statement. I have seen nothing to convince me otherwise. My collateral statements are just my knee jerk reaction to the unsolicited comments about attorneys and their fees. I don't have too many complaints about my fees, although they are not bargain basement fees.

Having said that, I think this subject has reached it's logical conclusion. I don't care that much about it to keep it alive.
  • Options
    The assumption here is that it is just a friend of mine who might have offered a random comment. However like I stated it came from an individual very familiar in the industry with LS Windshields... I am sorry that you disbelieve and I need to prove beyond a reasonable doubt to you. I will bring my material witness (No pun intended...well maybe a little) to the townhall for a cross-examination on Monday of next week. I am sorry this is to funny... We all have to laugh a little...

I am sorry I poked fun at you being an attorney but in your original message you made it seem like I was a nobody with your sentence asking "How do you know.....

Regards,
    Airwolf1000
  • Options
    lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    Sounds like the Bickersons. (Don Ameche for you younger folks).

Can a potential LS owner visiting this site for the first time have a favorable impression of the car & us, given the recent glass discussions?
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    I saw this on the news a couple nights ago. A person was killed in a one-car accident. First quote from the cop: speed was definitely a factor. (Which I guess is always true because if your speed was 0 you would be less likely to crash). Seems this person went off the road (cause unknown), overcorrected and flipped several times, hitting a tree on the other side of the road. Oh, by the way, the driver was ejected because he wasn't wearing a seatbelt.

So the two things that contributed to the death were failure to keep the vehicle on the road and failure to wear a seat belt. You know this will show up in the statistics as a speed-related fatality when there is no proof that speed had anything to do with it.

Now don't get me started about airbags that were designed to protect people that were too stupid to wear a seatbelt....
  • Options
    xwrayxwray Member Posts: 60
    no...
  • Options
    This forum can be alot of different things to alot of different people. That's what makes it interesting.

Let's not head down the path again of telling people what's interesting or not. Simply ignore the messages that don't interest you.
  • Options
    If I may weigh in with my 2 rupees on the windshield issue?

Wasn't the original post having to do with how much the glass company charges for a windshield when they do a replacement and what the insurance company will pay?

Safelite manufactures most of the replacement LS windshields for insurance replacement. I may be wrong on this assumption, but isn't it Safelite and the insurance company, not Lincoln/Ford, who is making the profit markup?

When I had my windshield replaced last year, it cost $1,500 with a $500 deductible. Being the curious sort I called the same glass company a few days later and asked them how much the windshield would cost without insurance entering into it and they told me $800. Made me wonder if this was intentionally marked up by the glass company for the insurance claim.

Brian (Let's think happy thoughts :)) <--- That would be an extra parenthesis not a double chin!
  • Options
    billincal1billincal1 Member Posts: 40
    To the newbees who visit this site for the first time, finding discussions (more like electronic mud fights at times)that go nowhere(sometimes endlessly), I say welcome!

If you are considering getting an LS, this is the best place to find anything out from the owners who drive the LS (not a sales idiot who took a 10 minute crash course). Our methods of expressing ourselves may not always be perfect but they are one thing... REAL. You won't find any factory sales hype here...Oh sure, an occasional 3rd party snake oil salesman from time to time..but he(or she)is soon spotted. Sometimes we get raided by a BMW or Lexus plant from another site trying to convince us we are driving an inferior car ...see how far they get here!

This is a great car that gets under your skin very quickly...Take our LS away for a few days and hear the moaning of what we had to drive for those awful few days!

Bill
  • Options
    ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    Hear, Hear!! As to your last paragraph. I'm SOOOOOOOO happy to get out of that I30 and back into my LS!! I'm STILL smiling :):):).

Also, some of us have been know to invade their boards and stir them up a little. OK, so we stir them up a LOT!
  • Options
    slunarslunar Member Posts: 479
    brucelinc: Yes I agree that I the best course of action is to try to eliminate the tire / wheel factor. That is why I asked the dealer to try a tire / wheel swap. It could be a driveshaft problem as several participants have noted.

ls1bmw0: Thanks for the offer. My LS a V8 non sport. The next step here is to go to a place with a Hunter. With the Hunter URL you provided I found several places within 25 miles that have one, just need to decide which is the best place to try and then find the time to take go there. Depending on what they find I may take you up on your offer. Do you have Jim Rogers' email handy. I'm steamed up enough, especially considering the cheap Goodyears the dealer stuck me with, to try to open this up with JR's office again since the reginal rep. won't return my calls. I found one of his assistant's e-mail but can't find his.
  • Options
    brunobusbrunobus Member Posts: 77
    Well, I was able to convince (read: con or bribe)the wife into letting me buy some new speakers for our annivesary. I bought 4 of the Infinity 572's from a place called Absolute Stereo over the net. They had the best price on these over all the other places. Strangely enough, though , I thought I was getting 2 pair of 572.1's but instead, I got a pair of 572.1's and a pair of 572.3's. Both are from the Infinity Kappa (top of the line for car audio) series. I called Absolute and they told me that I got the last pair of 572.1's that they had and I would have had to wait another couple of weeks to get another pair of 572.3's, but I digress. Total cost: $200 with shipping and handling and about 1 week delivery time.

Got all four installed tonight and all I gotta say is wow. You guys with the Audiophile system got nothing on this. I have a 10" sub in the trunk as well, but now it really doesn't add much to the bass response. Very very good investment. I highly recommend it to all.

One note on install though, the rear is definitely a little tight and before you attempt it, make sure you read the post on LLSOC for replacing the speakers. It has all the tips.

Pounding down the highway ;) - Bruno
  • Options
    Jim's email is jroger19@ford.com

If the Hunter tech finds that a wheel is out of round make sure you get documentation and take it back to your dealer and show it to the service manager.

Brian
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    I loved the cost figures. And almost all those parts come from outside suppliers who have to make a profit also! I'd really love to know the cost of the Getrag 221 vs. the Getrag six-speed at Ford's price!
    My guess on windshield cost on the LS is between $70 and $80 max. A manufacturer just can't put that much out for that component.
    Maybe we are looking at about $1500 for the V-6 and $1800 for the V-8? Mark's tranny is probably about a grand? Try those prices at the parts dept!
  • Options
    pennyl0199pennyl0199 Member Posts: 9
    what has become of this site I thought this was for LS owners to discuss problems and to look for help why don't you cry baby's leave
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    Why don't you learn better grammar (cry babies is plural, not possessive) and lighten up. Other than slunar nobody seems to be having any problems right now to discuss. Last time I checked this was the "Lincoln LS" forum, not the "Lincoln LS problems and solutions only" forum. Cost of parts on the LS is certainly relevant and on-topic, however boring and trivial it may seem to some people. If you're looking for problems, try the BMW forums. I hear they're just burning up with problems lately.
  • Options
    albert19albert19 Member Posts: 36
    Airwolf1000......I would like to be the judge during the cross examination next week!!!!!!!! Firestone and Ford will have nothing on us !!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    When I was in for the last re-flash, the service writer pushed me hard to have the transmission fluid changed on 30,000 mile intervals. For the type of driving I do, the owners manual doesn't support his thinking. However, he tried to lead me to believe that "Ford recommends it on all their automatic transmissions."

Does anyone know: Do all Fords now use the same fluid or is the LS the only one using Mercon 5? Is there a drain plug on the torque converter like on other RWD Fords? Anyone else with 30,000+ miles changing the fluid?

I have always done this myself (pull the pan, clean, change filter, drain converter, refill through dipstick tube) at around 60,000 miles but the refill procedure on the LS is different, of course.

Thanks for any comments.
  • Options
  • Options
    leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    As I have mentioned in a few past posts, my computer is at work, rather than at home, so my time to participate in this forum is Monday-Friday, 6AM-2:30 PM,EST.
    This is my last day to check in, as I'm off on vacation for two weeks, and I'll be returning on July 16th. My wife, the LS, and I are going to the Carolinas on our annual trip. I'll have an LS report when I return.
    Everyone else, have a happy and safe holiday....see'ya.
  • Options
    For some reason, the body of my previous post disappeared. I just wanted to say that not is all well on other forums. The Lexus IS300 boys, especially, are sad on learning that the anxiously anticipated Manual transmission version will only have a 5 speed and not the hoped for six-speed. Sounds familiar.
  • Options
  • Options
    buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    Brian, The Dallas News article - good reading but might be challenged for its veracity specifically related to HP, Jag "S" v8 281hp - vs - Linc LSv8 252hp there are many here who would have even broader smiles if the LS had the Jags HP, but more importantly what is to be concluded from the last paragraph, it sounds like an obituary, possibly the last portion is simply rhetorical...
  • Options
    johnnylincjohnnylinc Member Posts: 308
    The results of Autoweek magazine's annual "Best American Cars" poll are in the current (July 2) issue, and once again the LS makes an appearance, this year at number 6.

This is the 12th annual poll conducted by Autoweek; the ballot is mailed to 1% of the subscriber base, so it's a controlled situation. (I didn't get a ballot this year, either!) The Corvette, as usual, came in first. Ford dominated the list, with the F150 pickup at #2, the Mustang at #4, the Focus at #5, and the Taurus at #8.

Last year, the LS was fifth. I think this certainly speaks well for our favorite sedan; Autoweek is an enthusiast magazine, and I'd wager that its readership has a high degree of collective auto knowledge.

Autoweek this year added separate European and Japanese categories. On the Euro list, the 3-series BMW was first and the 5-series was second. The Accord came out on top of the Japan chart.

Another new twist this year was a separate Internet poll conducted via Autoweek's website, where anyone could log their vote (or votes, as the case may be.) In this one, the LS fared even better, coming in third behind the 'Vette and Viper.

This would seem to indicate that the LS is still highly regarded by a knowledgable enthusiast community. I think they're (we're) right on the money--it's STILL a great car!
  • Options
    The last paragraph appears to be referencing the feeling of loss that we all experience when we are without the car. Sounds like they were going to miss driving the car since they had to give it back! :)

Brian
  • Options
    buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    Brian - Of course, that makes sense. I've got to get into someplace where it is air-conditioned.
  • Options
    giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    From all the recent bickering in my absence, hope ya'll realize now I ain't the only one who can rile people up. But all for a good cause from everyone, right?

Got back late yesterday after putting 3,300 miles on the SS. Sure, my LS8 Sport would've been more fun in the Adirondack mountain twisties and possibly even smoother on brutal stretches of I-90 east of Cleveland (thanks to longish wheelbase & IRS) but she just didn't have the interior and trunk room for the kids, luggage, and misc junk you accumulate on long vacations. SS is now back in garage and I can play again with my emerald baby! Think she missed me, so I vacuumed her out, fuelled her up (forgive me but 90 octane ethanol at $1.299/g), and took her out for some fun time!!!

If you want cheap fuel, all the Speedway stations in and around Valparaiso, Indiana, area on US 30 were selling 87 octane at $1.069 and premium only $1.229!!!

6/25/01 issue of Autoweek has nice little article on p. 4 on the upcoming Infiniti G35. I had a '96 G20 base manual and a '96 G20t auto. In 100,000 miles of driving I never, ever had to take either in the shop for a repair or warranty work. I will be giving this car serious consideration for that reason alone!

As for Genny Cream Ale, ya gotta remember I can't get that in midwest. What you can't have often seems more intriguing and tempting than what you can have. And I do enjoy the unique taste. So while I'd rather have a Guiness Stout or Newcastle Brown Ale (which I can get readily in Omaha), the 2 30 packs of Genny Cream I brought back with me have great "value" and will have to last me a while. Ration out about 2 a week. Now if only I could've paid less than $10 for the 30 packs! Cheapest I saw in Herkimer, Utica, Rome, Old Forge, and Lake Placid areas was at Wal-Mart for $10.50. And I went around everywhere lookin' for the cheapest price! There was a $2 off mail-in coupon for eastern states' residents. But seemed like many beers in the area, including domestic & Canadian, had mail-in coupons.
  • Options
    drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
  • Options
    scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    Glad you brought this up. I've been wondering about AT fluid change since I bought the car. The Sceduled Maintenance Guide lists recommended services at mileage intervals up to 150k. They recommend ATF change every 30k for a number of different trannys, but our 5R55N is not listed anywhere. In the Special Operating Conditions, i.e. extreme conditions section at the back of the book they recommend 30k ATF changes without specifying transmission types. This is a generic FoMoCo book not specific to the LS.

A few months back, either here or at LLSOC, Mark K. posted that he considers ALL driving to be extreme conditions, or words to that effect, as far as maintenance is concerned. That suits me fine, but there's nothing in the documentation that came with my car that tells me to change the ATF at all until 150k miles!

Maybe a little semi-divine intervention is called for here, in the person of TTG.
  • Options
    scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    welcome back. Oh, yeah, people can fight in your absence; it's just more fun when you're around.:)

Have you been using the ethanol regularly enough to notice any performance or mileage change? Hard data, please; no "seat of the pants" or "gut feeling" nonsense. (Just kidding. I'm the guy who swears his car runs better when it's clean. As I'm a recent new convert to the Zaino cult, it runs even better now.)
  • Options
    Remember, this is my personal opinion and experience... My real world results from about 22 years of driving and hundreds of thousands of miles driven on ethanol and non-ethanol is I have seen no difference in performance, fuel economy, driveability, or durability. That covers my '69 Buick LeSabre 350 4-bbl V-8 hardtop sedan and '76 Maverick 200 CI 1-bbl I-6 sedan all the way up to my '96 Impala SS 5.7L V-8 and '00 LS8 Sport.

And I don't say the above lightly. I try to buy whatever fuel is least expensive and meets the octane requirements (or comes darn close without knocking). Too bad there is no 91 octane ethanol around here. We get 89, 89.5, and 90. I only put 90 in the LS8.

In my 87 or 89 octane cars, if ethanol is cheaper, I buy it. If not, I don't. In my LS8, I'll buy premium 91/92/93 if it is no more than $.15 cents more per gallon. Right now premium is $.16-.19 more per gallon at all the local stations.

The corn growers will have to forgive me but I hate the politics of ethanol. The Feds and State drop so much of the taxes. So each gallon bought contributes less to the road use funds. And then government turns around and subsidizes the ethanol manufacturer. I'd like to see it compete on a level playing field, which it can't right now.
  • Options
    Welcome back! Actually we drew straws to see who could rile the board up in your absence :)

scottc8, you know I'd swear my LS was faster after I put the LLSOC decal on the window. Probably go faster if I plastered a great big LINCOLN across the rear quarter panel on an angle

G, we got a coupla members in Noo Yawk that might be willing to do some interstate trading of Genny Ale for Omaha steaks........

Brian
  • Options
    mkovalskmkovalsk Member Posts: 114
    There is a drain plug on the torque converter. There is also a drain plug in the pan.

All Ford automatic transmissions except the 4R100 used in trucks uses Mercon V fluid.

Ford recommends 30K fluid changes in severe service. If you drive mostly highway you probably are not severe service.

Mark
  • Options
    ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    You also need a Lincoln windshield stripe! That alone is worth 5HP! Combine that with the 15HP gain from the glowing pedals and the 10HP from the lighted washer nozzles and you have one hot LS. :~)
  • Options
    ronniepoohronniepooh Member Posts: 339
    So, Mark, to clarify. If we are driving our LS's in sever service, as defined by the Ford manual, then we should have the automatic transmission fluid in our LS's changed at 30,000 miles? I have 34,000 miles, and have no problem getting it changed if thats what you are suggesting...
  • Options
    reneleblancreneleblanc Member Posts: 144
    Here in the Phoenix area, where they switch back and forth between gas with and without ethanol, because of the heat I guess, I have seen a drop of fuel mileage on my motorcycle with ethanol.

It drops from about 47 MPG to about 44 MPG with the ethanol. I noted this before I retired and was commuting to work 20 miles each way, so I was putting a lot of very consistent driving miles on the bike then, and I could make comparisons easily.

On a previous bike, a 1975 BMW R-90 (which I rode for 17 years), I detected a similar loss of economy with ethanol, but that bike which had been designed for 95 octane leaded premium, gave me a lot of feedback on resistance to detonation (which is what octane is supposed to be a measure of). Strangely, the ethanol seemed to have a higher octane, because the bike didn't ping as much. Even so, it got 2-3 MPG better mileage without the ethanol.

Nether my 1992 BMW K-75/RT nor my 1997 BMW R1100/RT have had any problem with pinging, with or without ethanol, but they both got better mileage without it.
  • Options
    lsloverlslover Member Posts: 11
    Guys-

I hate to bring up an old and tired subject, but once again I must ask about the LS's gas mileage. I have a 00 V-8 non-sport with 3900 miles that is almost 1 year old. I still only average about 14 miles per gallon. I suspect that by this time I'd have equal or better gas mileage in an Expedition!! Most, if not all, have told me to hold out as the averages will increase as the engine is broken in. I just have not found this to be the case with my LS. I do drive mostly in town as opposed to the freeway and get on the throttle once in a while. Still, I cannot believe that not only is the miles per gallon not increasing, even slightly, but that at times it seems to be decreasing. I love my LS in every way except this. But with gas prices so high in California, plus the LS's need for the expensive juice, it is becoming quite aggravating, not to mention costly.

So, the question is: Has anyone EVER heard of ANY issue with the LS that might be contributing to this problem?? Anything at all? I am searching for answers and am becoming very skeptical of the "give it time" theory. I am taking the car to the dealer on Monday for an unrelated issue and am thinking of telling them to find out what the hell is going with this car. I apologize if I sound testy, but this situation really has me frustrated. Like I said, other than the gas mileage, this is the best car I have ever owned and the best domestic model put out by the Big 3 in years. I just wish I didn't have to drop forty bucks in it every few days.

Sorry for the long post. I thank you in advance for any comments, thoughts or suggestions.
  • Options
    lateralglateralg Member Posts: 929
    What mileage do you get on a 400+ mile trip?
  • Options
    Are the roads getting worse or am I doing something wrong? In past two years every car I've owned has had to have its windshield repaired. My insurer, USAA, is a strong proponent of attempting to repair first in lieu of replacing. They waive the deductible and you pay nothing for the repair. And if the repair fails, they subtract out the cost of the repair from the replacement. They contract out with a nationwide network of glass shops. I've had no problems with the numerous repairs I've had over the years. Never had to replace a failed repair. I'm crossing my fingers on the Hyundai Sonata repair I had a couple months ago. Slightly bigger overall than a quarter. Repairer said it was 50/50 in terms of lasting. So far so good. (Can't say enough great things about USAA. If you can, join.)

Mileage and need for premium fuel has long been a gripe of mine. In big city driving (is Omaha a big city?) my LS8 Sport will routinely return around 12 mpg. Even in my small rural city, which has only 3 stoplights, repeated short trip mileage is around 15 mpg. Guess I wouldn't be bothered as much if I didn't know 300 hp Cadillac Northstar engines were redesigned to run on cheaper regular 87 octane unleaded.