Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lincoln LS

Comments

• Options
    brunobusbrunobus Member Posts: 77
    That is a great point. Although I do use the SST shifter now and then, I always forget that I have it in that mode until I either come to a stop or happen to glance at indicator on the dash. I especially have a tendancy to leave it in 4th thereby hurting gas mileage. Now I know why. I do remember when driver a 5 speed, the natural tendancy is to always feel to shifter to see what gear you were in. If the manufacturers made an H pattern for the manumatic, maybe people would buy into it a little better.

Bruno
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    ray - does that mean that you manual guys are naturally shifty? :-)

The other night when I was tooling around the racetrack in my highly modified Corvette Z06, Mazda Miata, Acura Integra Type R or Nissan Skyline GT-R (all of which have a fully adjustable six speed clutchless manual with button shift controls), I didn't have any problem keeping up with the gear I was in. If I forgot, a quick glance at the display told me. Actually it didn't matter what gear I was in as long as the RPMs were right.

BTW - I got the Z06 up to 218 on the high speed test course. It was a blast!
  • Options
    giowagiowa Member Posts: 599
    heyjewel: I don't & won't monopolize time or antagonize. I've participated on an on-line discussion or two. Always have been sufficiently polite and reasonable. I do like to ask questions, take notes, and ponder answers. And I like to be prepared to discuss. (Heck, bet I bring all my LS-related material. From press articles to purchase paperwork.) I only mentioned the heated seat 'cause it has been a pain in my rear. My current on-going problem has been an unsolveable intermittent airbag warning light that comes on about a month after they fix it. I'm sure others might ask about things like window regulators. Or moisture in headlamp assembly. I'd like to hear them talk about problem identification, redesigns, TQM/6 Sigma, etc. as it relates to realizing there is a problem and then figuring out whether to tackle it on the assembly line, thru parts supplier, etc.

clutchless-manual trannies: Check out C&D's August 01 article on the BMW system, pgs 34-35. Quite interesting reading.

In anticipation of the event, I now have to start deciding what sort of Lincoln and LS-related clothing to buy for the event. I have a closet full of Impala SS shirts, jackets, watches, etc.
  • Options
    lolaj42lolaj42 Member Posts: 420
    If a manumatic with an H-pattern were offered, it would also have to allow the ability to skip a gear(s) (i.e., down shifting directly from 4th/5th/6th into 2nd - entering a turn in 4th/5th/6th and exiting in 2nd). I agree with Bruno in that the H-pattern would probably have a greater level of acceptance than the current tiptronic/SST manumatic.

Presently, most people that know how to operate a manual have no real incentive to give up their manual for a manumatic, and people that don't know how to operate a manual transmission have no idea of the benefits/pleasure of selecting your own gear. Just because the tiptronic/SST doesn't operate in the same way as a manual, it provides NEARLY the same degree of control. Up until my LS, I have always had a vehicle with a manual transmission at my disposal (I learned on a '70s VW Dasher/Passat). Presently, I think there is a significant "resistance to change" as far the consumer embracing the current form of manumatic, although to me, it was just a matter of getting used to using the new device. I can relate to what Bruno stated in that it is fairly easy to forget what gear your in because you're missing the tactile feedback that manual stick provides. However, the more you use SST, the more "natural" it will seem.

I still prefer the SST to a manual when mated to a car such as the LS. If I were driving a Corvette, M3, or Z3, then I'd probably opt for the manual. TO ME, the luxury aspect of the car dictates some form of automatic, with a manumatic all the better.
  • Options
    The August '01 issue of C&D has their Long-term Test Report on Audi TT Quattro 1.8T w/5-speed manual. Their initial 0-60 mph time was 7.6 secs. 0-100 in 22.3 secs. 0-120 in 41.5 secs. After 40,000 miles those numbers were 7.3, 20.6, and 34.7. The text on p. 138 says "the acceleration numbers did, however, improve appreciably as the engine loosened up with the mileage, as our final test numbers reflect... than the green TT." When I read this I immediately thought of all the posters here who talk about this with their LS's. (Not sure I've experienced it. But that might be due to tranny performance, or lack thereof, I suspect.)
  • Options
    ls1bmw0ls1bmw0 Member Posts: 782
    For the LLSOC members keep an eye out for your membership packets. The lack of LS-related apparel will be able to be resolved before the event :)

giowa: Good points to bring up with the roundtable. In talking with JR Friday he made mention of the fact that Lincoln has put the product development and manufacturing teams under one umbrella. The better for the people who are involved with the engineering of the production manufacturing processes to be able to interface with the development engineers and help design a product that is feasible both from a new car development focus as well as a production manufacturing focus. This should result in less problems, but would be worth hearing about at the roundtable.

Brian
  • Options
    sdouglas2sdouglas2 Member Posts: 20
    Allen,
    Is it GT2 or GT3 you reference above? :)
    Scooter
  • Options
    keyrowkeyrow Member Posts: 214
    Lolaj42 wrote, and I imagine many agree that, "the luxury aspect of the car dictates some form of automatic." Why? If that were true why not go all out and have a chauffer as well, that way one could experience TOTAL luxury. Of course that would mean no more big silly grins as one glides through curves in a car built with excellent handling characteristics as a priority. Being certain the car is in the exact gear it ought to be at all times is something that many of us demand, "luxury aspects" be damned! To paraphrase P.H., "Give me a manual or give me death [or an M5]!" Methinks a Lexus is in Lolaj42's future ; )
  • Options
    bajabillbajabill Member Posts: 60
    you just made the distiction yourself. Performance and luxury are not synonyms. They may steal a little from each other though.
  • Options
    My main point was that the manumatic allows a driver to select the appropriate gear just a manual does. The overall driving experience though, is in fact, different between the manumatic and manual, although I am somewhat strained to identify it. Perhaps it has something to do with keeping the left foot occupied, or otherwise involved. The main benefit of the manumatic is that it allows for both the convenience (luxury?) of a full automatic, and the ability to "shift" for oneself if so desired. If an H-pattern manumatic were offered, would the argument in favor of manual transmissions continue? My LS is the first 4-door sedan I've ever owned . . . and while I enjoy it very much, it may be the last. I still have the itch to drive 2-seaters (with a manual, of course) with the capacity to only take life's essentials with you . . . toothbrush and bottle of Champagne!

I think this is an interesting discussion and would love to hear other thoughts on it . . . let's just not pin a Lexus on me yet! ; )
  • Options
    leadfoot4leadfoot4 Member Posts: 593
    As I had mentioned in a past post, my subwoofer amp started to do one of its intermitent "buzz fits" at the outset of our vacation.
    I dropped the LS off at the dealer first thing this AM, in order to have them take a look at it. (TC for a loaner) The service advisor just called me and said it's ready, as they "fixed a ground in the amp, per a service bullitin". I'm anxiously awaiting to see if it works.... Did anyone else hear abot a bulletin on this ???
  • Options
    akirbyakirby Member Posts: 8,062
    That would be GT3 (Gran Turismo 3 for you non-gamers) on the PS2. Absolutely stunning graphics. The replays look so realistic it's scary. The game itself is supposed to be pretty much the same as GT2 on the PS1 but I can't really compare as I only rented it once.

If any of you have access to a PS2 (playstation 2) with this game on it give it a try. The driving dynamics are great and I hear they're even better with a force feedback steering wheel. You buy a car and then can customize it for performance by purchasing the following:

tires (7 or 8 different types)
    fully adjustable suspension
    hi performance brakes and bias controller
    transmission (6-speed manual with adjustable ratios plus a fully adjustable rear differential)
    racing clutch, flywheel, carbon fiber driveshaft
    exhaust, air cleaner
    turbos, port polishing, engine balancing, computer chips, intercoolers
    etc.etc.etc.

The thing is you can really feel the difference when making minor adjustments. You even have to manage tire wear on long races. Unfortunately the LS is not available. Interestingly, neither is Porsche. I guess the Need for Speed guys own those rights. So GT3 counts RUF as a manufacturer and offers the RUF versions of the Porsches. 328i is the only BMW offered. I was hoping for a M3 or M5.
  • Options
    brucelincbrucelinc Member Posts: 815
    I like manual control in automatic transmissions but none provide quite the fun of a manual. There is something about the direct feel of a mechanical clutch that no torque converter can match regardless of the shifter positioning. Also, a perfectly timed downshift with a blip of the throttle in between the cogs is more rewarding to me than just moving a lever and letting electronics do the rest. My primary ride will probably always be an automatic but I wouldn't mind having a 427 Cobra replica to drive on weekends!
  • Options
    scottc8scottc8 Member Posts: 617
    Right, luxury and performance are not synonyms; nor are they mutually exclusive. The combination of the two is what makes the LS special. I love the roadholding and the V8 power, but enjoy the comfort and quiet of a luxury car as well. If performance was my prime concern I'd be driving something else, maybe a Cobra. But I spend two hours a day in my car. At the end of the work day, I like to put on some Mozart, turn on the AC, and put the shift lever in "Home". (Oh, boy, I can hear stanny loading up already. Just call me Captain of the Appliance. :))

I hope Lincoln offers a V8 manual soon, for the sake of the evolution of this car. I agree that the SST is a poor, if any, substitute. But I like my slushbox.
  • Options
    noshonosho Member Posts: 119
    Not having driven an F1, I can't say the electronic manual
    is a never possibility. On the other hand, if a significant
    other required an automatic, then an electronic manual
    would be my preference.

I wonder how well a manual-matic would launch in icy conditions?
    Being unable to modulate the clutch could be real ugly....
  • Options
    GtomaGtoma Member Posts: 6
    I would like to thank Jim Rogers for helping me to finally get the LS I've been aching for! For those who don't remember or didn't see my previous posts, I ordered an LS6 manual on May 19 and was informed by the dealer on July 12 (the supposed delivery date) that the car was never ordered, thus I lost out on the 0.9% financing and the $200 over invoice deal that I had made since they could not find a matching car anywhere in the region.
    Well, after being pointed in Jim's direction by Stanny1, and Brian Gowing personally writing to Jim and others at LM, Jim has come through along with Jenna Young.
    The dealership and Lincoln are working together to get a 2002 LS6 manual equipped the way I originally ordered it (basically fully loaded)priced/subsidized so that my payments will be the same as if I had the 2001 LS at 0.9%!! I now have faith that there are good people in corporate America who do care about the customer!

I got the call today from Jim and Jenna, and just got back from placing my order at the dealership. I can hardly wait for my baby to arrive!

Thanks again to everyone who gave me advice. I will be posting again as the delivery date gets closer.

Tom
  • Options
    slunarslunar Member Posts: 479
    The latest issue of Autoweek had a "special advertising section" for performance tuners. In the section were photos of 2 LS's. One was a front shot showing a non-sport that had a big air dam, some different body cladding below the doors and large wheels, probably 18 or 20". The other was a rear view if a sport that had a rear spoiler added along with chrome or stainless exhaust tips with cut outs in the bumper cover. The wheels looked like the chrome 17 Lincoln ones. There was no text in the section that referred to the LS's nor did any of the advertisements in the section mention the LS.
  • Options
    buckwheatbuckwheat Member Posts: 396
    Kudos & accolades to all involved in Gtoma's successful resolution.
  • Options
    sniemietzsniemietz Member Posts: 40
    I had the same problem..twice. The first time they tightened the ground strap from the amp. After about 3 days the problem appeared again this time they added a second ground wire off of the amp. I do not think this was a "factory blessed" fix but it had been working now for about 5 months or so.

Has anyone had to have their window regulators replaced twice? Mine has been replaced once before and now I have the same problem again. My service manager said the replacement parts are bad too. I have been waiting for a week for the parts since they are on backorder.
  • Options
    stanny1stanny1 Member Posts: 962
    Scott - believe me, after 2+ hours of showing property to clients while trying to hold a cell phone in one hand, the shifter in the other, modulating the clutch pedal as to not jerk the client's necks, and having a map on my lap, an automatic sounds like a dream. If I didn't have the Volvo wagon for the times I didn't want to shift, I would choose the LS6 auto or the LS8. Now if I could just convince my wife to get an LS auto....
  • Options
    cwzcwz Member Posts: 72
    Mark, can you explain what this new TSB for tranny reflash corrects or does?
    Is it a good idea to get this TSB done if I had the previous d-r r-d hestitation reflash installed?
  • Options
    babickababicka Member Posts: 60
    Hi try M5-motors in San Diego or checkout the list

of vendors at

http://www.lacar.com/tuner/
  • Options
    ezaircon4jcezaircon4jc Member Posts: 793
    Nice job with the article, Brian! Now, if they could've only left out that part at the end about the Navigator.......
  • Options
    Thanks for the link, but I posted the info for others who have inquired about wheels & body cladding. I'm not looking to dump any money on my leased LS let alone think of the problems any add ons could create at turn in time.
  • Options
    The "Owner's Corner--Gearing Up" article on page 48 was quite nice. Everyone here and at LLSOC should read it. Glad they included the web site address and a telephone number. Too bad they didn't include a picture of Brian!

Brian: You should try to get some small mention in magazines like C&D, MT, R&T, etc. Remember many years ago first learning about the National Impala SS Owners' Club from an article in MT. When was the Gearing Up article written? Who many LLSOC members are there now? Hoping a lot more than 120 (from the article) and much closer to your goal of 1,000. Keep giving us details about the Wixom tour. My wife has to give 60 days notice under her union's contract.
  • Options
    By the numbers listed in the Message Boards, we are over 200 members. Seems to be growing fast. Maturing fast, too. The premiere issue of the Lincoln Synergy magazine that came with the membership package is just terrific. About 15 years ago I was a member of the Cadillac-LaSalle Club. Their monthly magazine had nothing on ours, and they had been around since 1958, and weren't maintaining a web site.
  • Options
    I did a back to back test drive over the same roads (mostly twisty 2 lane back roads) with my LS-8 (Non Sport) and my friend's 3.0 S-type (standard suspension). It was a very interesting comparison. The cars are very similar, the common platform really shows, but they also have distinct differences. On the whole, the S-type just feels more refined. I did not observe any significant noises, drones, cam chain whine etc. however, the wind noise seemed about the same at 70 MPH. My friend must not be as picky as me since he told me he has never had any vibration issues. The first thing I did was run his S-type to 72 MPH on the Interstate and take my hands off the wheel and observe some steering wheel shimmy. There was a very slight resonance in the S-type but neither the wheel shake nor the resonance noise were anywhere as bad as what I used to have in my LS before the Hunter re-balance and tire rotation. The biggest plus of the Jag is the ability of its suspension to soak up the bumps on our frost heaved back roads while maintaining control and no body float. Where on bumpy roads my LS feels choppy at times, especially at slow speeds the S-type was completely composed. Power from the VVT 3.0 V6 was more than adequate, with the only complaint was there seemed to be a torque gap after the 2-3 shift which I assume is due to the same unequal ratio 5R55N transmission gears we have in the LS. The transmission shifts seemed firmer and crisper than my LS. In all the S-type feels like a refined English gentlemen's car which is stated by its delicately sized shift lever & knob along with its similarly petite steering column controls. Compared to the S-type my LS just feels more American and at the risk of not being PC, the LS feels more masculine. The LS also begs to be driven hard, thrown into a corner and says I need more torque to blast out of this corner. Conversely, the S-type doesn't ask to be driven hard and doesn't seem to care how hard you drive it. Its engine power is a non issue (probably why 90% of the S-types I see are V6's). Throwing the S-type hard into a corner just does not get your adrenalin flowing like the LS does. All in all I prefer my LS, especially with its extra V-8 torque. If the 2003 LS could borrow the Jag's 290 HP VVT head V-8, suspension refinement, better quality interior materials plus get more equally spaced transmission ratios. it will be killer. I guess my message to Lincoln and PAG marketing is: If Lincoln is supposed to be American Luxury, then the LS needs gobs of torque. Think of those 430 cu Lincoln and 425 cu Cadillac engines of the 60's with their gobs of torque and low end grunt vs. the high revving, low torque, OHC engines European cars of that era had. To get your product positioning right Lincoln should be the product line that has the highest HP and torque.
  • Options
    Brian, Great job!!!

Finally, the package arrived today. The hat is sharp. Tasteful and functional. The stickers will look nice on my estate green baby. The magazine, Lincoln Synergy, was interesting, informative, and much nicer than I expected. And at 60 pages, it was much bigger than I thought it would be.

The plastic membership card thru me for a moment. Noticed my membership number reads like binary code. Eight digits. Do the one and nine at the end mean I was the 19th paying member?

And for those who complain about the cost of dues, I noticed that the postage charge alone on the packet was $2.87. Think many people forget about all the little real costs associated with a club.

Keep up the great work. Spread the word.
  • Options
    Did you find anything specific the Jaguar gives up in handling to achieve the smoother ride? More body roll, easier to lose the tires' grip, anything like that? "Choppy" describes the LS on rough pavement perfectly. Thought Lincoln sacrificed a little ride comfort for superior handling, but it doesn't sound like you noticed much difference.
  • Options
    Was catching up on some reading yesterday. Did anyone see the articles last week on General Motors hiring consumate car-guy Bob Lutz? Took him away from Exide Batteries. Too bad Ford didn't. He worked wonders while an executive at Chrysler in early '90s, Ford Europe in '80s, and GM/Opel in the '70s. Hope he hasn't lost his touch. Would be nice to see GM create some desireable non-truck/non-SUV products. Bob's the kind of guy who'd ensure there was a manual tranny in a car like the LS8.
  • Options
    drolds1drolds1 Member Posts: 247
    G-man, I saw the article about Bob Lutz. That really does bode well for GM, as long as he isn't hamstrung by the conservative GM mgt. However, they are desperate to regain market share, so perhaps they'll let him run. I think he's the kind of guy who would just walk away if he doesn't fit in. It's not like he needs the money! As you say, he is a car guy & he probably took the job for the sheer enjoyment of the challenge. BTW, he will remain chairman of the board of Exide

With respect to manual trannies, the Catera replacement (CTS) will have a 5-speed manual, but I haven't yet seen who the mfr. is or whether its got an O/D. It doesn't look right now like there will be a V8 version. The car will be on sale in Jan. 2002. In the latest issue of M/T, they describe driving a prototype around Nürburgring. In their opinion, "the BMW 330i will have a challenge matching the scorching pace we set with the CTS." "The Caddy people have promised us a sub-7 second 0-60 sprint and enough lateral grip to set our skid pad on fire."

HOWEVER, there's more. A related article about future GM engines states that this car is slated to get supercharged version of the 3.2 V6 cranking out 321 HP! No word on which tranny will be offered with this package.

Lincoln, are you listening? Obviously Caddy is serious about getting a piece of the HP-starved V6 LS market.
  • Options
    The Jag felt softer, but didn't appear to have excessive body roll. The LS felt tauter which may contribute to the choppyness. On our frost heaved 25 & 30 MPH speed limit twisty back roads, near the speed limit, my LS doesn't feel much better than a Focus. Thats where the big difference with the Jag is. The LS feels much better and smoother at 40 & 50 MPH on those same roads. When I was up in Maine, on vacation, where there are much more sensible speed limits the LS felt great at 50 - 60 on the back roads even when the pavement was badly frost heaved and bumpy.
  • Options
    about the suspension design of these cars. That they can make cars that ride so smoothly yet corner the way they do. That they can tune it with a bias toward performance or smoothness and not give up much of the other. We all have our nits to pick, but you gotta love the way they sweated the details, the cast aluminum suspension components, battery on the passenger side of the trunk, etc., etc. A "motorhead" friend, whose Trans-Am is his idea of a great handling car, wanted to know the details of whatever electro-pneumatic system my LS had that kept it from nose-diving under heavy braking. Well, that was sure easy to explain. :) Amazing that some bean counters didn't point out that these details wouldn't sell that many more cars, and win the argument.

On another topic (one I probably shouldn't resurrect), I saw the 2002 Consumer Reports New Car Buying Guide this morning at the supermarket. Curiosity got the better of me, so I looked up the Lincoln LS. The text of the short article remains mostly the same, although they now mention that owner satisfaction is generally higher among V8 owners (no reason given). Their "frequency of repairs" chart still covers only the V6 model. There are 14 categories of repair types. The LS6 was rated average in one (electrical), better than average in three, and much better than average in the other ten. The verdict: Overall reliability estimate, a solid black circle, much worse than average. Amazing that these people retain any credibility. Sure, I'm biased, but this is journalistic and/or scientific incompetence that can't be explained away by anti-Detroit prejudice on their part.

End of tirade. Think I'll go wash my car.
  • Options
    On Friday I got the LM Mag and the LLSOC mag. I was in heaven for the rest of the day. Kudos to Brian. I have to nominate him for "Most Productive Biped" or something. How he does all this I will never know. Real professional and now I regret missing that Julian trip! I could have been that fourth "beach ball with legs" in the last page picture. Can't wait for the next issue. Maybe the Wixom pictures will be in there. It's well worth being a member for the mag alone, and thanks for the custom club hat and membership card also.
  • Options
    Got my membership pack late yesterday! The hardcopy of the Premier Issue of Lincoln Synergy was quite a surprise. The production quality and broad range of content is outstanding! The membership card, stickers, and hat are all first rate and completely reinforce my view that this is a quality organization befitting the fine automobile that the LS is.

If you're not yet a member, you really ought to consider joining. This club will really help you to enjoy your LS all the more. GREAT JOB, and thank you, Brian for pulling this all together!
  • Options
    mkovalskmkovalsk Member Posts: 114
    CWZ -

You don't need to get this TSB done if you had the previous one done.

This TSB is identical to the older one, 01-01-05, except the new one adds a couple calibrations that were missed in the orignal. The software is identical.

Mark
  • Options
    wlp2wlp2 Member Posts: 13
    How much would the Borla system cost for a 01 LS V8? Would adding it void the Ford warrenty? What are the benefits? How can I find a local dealer? Any other recommended changes, like larger air box? Guess there's no hope on the gas mileage. Thanks.
  • Options
    The Borla system is the same for the 8 and the 6.
    The benefits are: 1. Bitchin chrome tips that are visible 2. An "X" shaped chamber that helps scavenge exhaust gases 3. A lower restriction muffler and 4. The "Borla" sound which makes the idle sound like you just put a high duration cam in but a polite and warm cruise note. Should increase gas mileage slightly and give maybe 5-7 hp (just a guess - no one in the club has dynoed one yet).
    Cost is $732 with Calif tax plus shipping ($899 List). My name is on one of the systems - Brian just got 7 in.
    Ok, guys - add and /or correct this for accuracy.
    As for the air box - yes, it is restrictive. Brian and Mike will give you their methods but I am going to put two holes in the lower chamber and use epoxy or silicone seal to attach the tops of two metallic heater duct hoses (2-2.5" diameter) to these holes and maybe run the hoses to a high pressure area in the front of the car. But in general, that small and long convuluted snorkel is a problem. It's one of the two areas that was addressed in the 2002 V-6 that brought out 10 more hp - in addition to lower restriction mufflers. I'm sure the V-8 could use the same improvements. I don't think either of these mods would void the warranty unless LM could prove that this could damage the engine. Highly unproveable IMHO.
  • Options
    For LLSOC members the cost is $680.93 plus CA tax if you live in CA and shipping.

Neither modification will void the warranty.

Brian
  • Options
    The October 12th event has, as usual, morphed into something bigger. Not only are we going to get to tour the Wixom plant but we are also going to tour some of the engineering facilities with the engineers on that day! I've toured these facilities and met with the engineers and it has been a highlight of my year!

We are also going to do TWO happy hours, one on Thursday night and one on Friday night, to allow as many of the Lincoln engineering teams to attend!

There will also be a surprise or two thrown into the mix. I know what they are and you are going to miss out on something very special if you can't attend!

Jonathan Crocker is on vacation for the next couple of weeks so there won't be more information until then.

The Wixom plant folks are enthusiastically looking forward to our visit. The more people that we have the better. They can easily handle 100 or more people on the tours so the more the merrier!

Brian
  • Options
    Check out the latest issue of Motor Trend, 9/01. On p. 84 there is a comparison test of "Serious Sport Sedans... hot-performing, luxurious, V-8 power brokers". Neither the LS8 nor Jag S-type 4.0L tested. Audi A6 4.2 Quattro, BMW 540iA Sport, Lexus GS430, & MB E430 Sport. All are automatics. Base prices ranged from $47-53K. As tested ranged from $53-61K. 0-60 times ranged from 6.01 (GS430)-6.69 (Audi) secs.

Check out the '02 Altima 3.5L V-6 SE. 0-60 in 6.28 secs w/5-speed manual. With fully independent suspension (rear multi-link replaces the former beam axle). And it has side curtain airbags, in addition to front and front side.

Lincoln had better be moving with '02 improvements. LS starting to fall seriously behind in power, safety equipment, available options, etc. Cars like Altima are catching it from behind, while others like GS430 moving farther ahead.
  • Options
    I was invited to visit Dearborn by Jonathan Crocker last Friday. Here are my notes:

The people who are responsible for the Lincoln LS are all dedicated, hard-working folks. They are genuinely in love with the LS and are very proud and protective of it. In them I see a pride in their achievments and a sense of duty to further the car. It is hard to convey in written words what I felt in talking to over fifty of the people who helped make the LS what it is. They don't do it because they like working for Ford or Lincoln. They don't do it because they like working for their boss. They do it because they are totally into the LS and love the car. They refer to it as "her" and talk about the car as they would talk about a person. They have the same pride a parent has with their child.

There have been quite a few posts lately about how people felt that the LS was a flash-in-the-pan and that Lincoln wasn't going to improve the car. I can tell you that this is hogwash. I've seen the future of the LS and it is great! I can't tell you more since I made a promise to these fine folks, but I can tell you that Lincoln is very committed to making this car competitive against the best in the class and will accomplish that goal.

The teams that work on the LS have the focus and the vision of what is expected of the LS. I can see the LS being the performance leader in the luxury sports sedan segment within three years.

Quality problems have been aggresively addressed. Suppliers with poor quality scores have been replaced. I saw none of the paint problems with the 2002. The rear C-pillar braze joint processed has been refined to eliminate the waviness.

To Charles, Jonathan, and all the other engineers that I met Friday, Thank You for a fantastic experience.

Brian
  • Options
    Giowa, the marketplace is almost scary. It reminds me of the horsepower races in the 60's.
    The Maxima, despite it's cheap beam rear axle and FWD, is getting limited slip, a six-speed Manual, and 260 hp. That should really rip up the front tires! The Altima is getting the better multi-link rear, a 240hp V-6 and huge inside dimensions - bigger than the Maxima. Of course, it's also FWD.
    As to the article, I think that if the LS8 picks up on hp with VVT , air box and exhaust improvements, and stays in the same price class, it will be competitive. But if it drifts much over the early 40k mark, the value will be suspect.
    The LS6M will have to battle the King Kong Maxima, the Acura S, and the new Infiniti G35, which will use the 260hp Maxima engine and REAR WHEEL DRIVE. Watch out IS300!
  • Options
    Last week Bloomberg News reported that Archer Daniels Midland announced 7/30 that it plans to sell ethanol in NY area later this year. Using a joint Texaco-Shell-Saudi terminal in NJ. Will be interesting to see what octane they end up with.

Here in MO/NE/IA area you see ethanol blends at 89, 89.5, and 90 octane. Usually sells for same price as regular 87 octane; sometimes pennies more, sometimes pennies less. When I was driving to upstate NY in June I noticed that Ohio, Penn, & NY stations sold primarily only 87, 89, and 93 octane. I used to use about every other tank of ethanol in my LS. Then prices went up and I switched entirely to 90 ethanol. With prices down, now back to 50/50 (ethanol/premium). Have never had any driveability or other issue using ethanol in my LS8 Sport.
  • Options
    fantomfantom Member Posts: 211
    After eight months and 10,000 miles of care free driving somebody finally gave my LS it's first parking lot tattoo. A 5 inch by 1/8 inch gouge in the rear bumper just below the license plate-ouch!

Anyone have advise or experience on techniques for either touching up or repainting the rear bumper? The car is light parchment gold and I'm taking it relatively well, all things considered. Thanks for any suggestions.
  • Options
    Fantom - Don't waste your time with the "one bottle" approach. The factory stuff just doesn't cut if you have a color like my Pearl. Go to www.paintscratch.com and do it right. It's really a multi-step approach.
  • Options
    drolds1drolds1 Member Posts: 247
    Thanks for the report, Brian. It sounds exciting and verfies what Jim Rogers posted a while back re the future of the LS. Wish I could have been a fly on the wall!

Artie-counting the days to LS Mania2.
  • Options
    Have you noticed any difference in fuel economy between the ethanol and "normal" blends? Do you nearly empty a tank of one type of fuel before refilling with the other? Out here in Arizona, I usually see about a 1 to 2 mpg difference between the oxygenated and "normal" blends, with the normal blend providing improved economy. I can't say that I notice any difference in how the engine responds to throttle inputs or smoothness when burning either type. I think all auto makers tune their engines to accept all blends authorized for sale in the US.
  • Options
    sclark8sclark8 Member Posts: 44
    I used to live in Wyoming where they had no additives. I averaged 16-18 mpg using their gas in my 89 Suburban.

When I moved back to California, the land of cancerous MTBE, I noticed a severe drop in mileage and power. I averaged 12-15. My 94 Mustang Cobra exhibited a similar drop.

They used to sell ethanol here in the post gas crisis 1970 s. I did not notice a drop in economy with ethanol.
  • Options
    thomas_lthomas_l Member Posts: 134
    I too am looking forward to the next few years to see how the HP race unfolds for all cars. Not to mention what the tentative limits will be with respect to product safety/liability. The '02 MB line-up will include an AMG version of my wife's really tame (C240 w/150-something hp) C-32 sporting a 3.2L supercharged 349hp! With the horsepower ratings pushing the 400 mark, I wonder how far it will go? And we're not talking 60's muscle cars - these are 4-door sedans, even big ones. Same thing with trucks. My Dad just upgraded his 10 year old Chevy 1-ton low rider with an '01 3500HD equipped with 8.1L gas engine and 5-sp Allison automatic.