Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I am quite familiar with the new Member Agreement, thank you. We will not be having discussions here on how to disable the odometer - posts discussing such will be removed in accordance with that Agreement.

I overlooked your requests the first time around, but you have persisted, so I am telling you that your requests for this information are not acceptable in Town Hall. If you have anything further to say about this, you may address me off-line. Further posts on this subject will be removed.

Thank you.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Options
    mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    Yup, your right, bloody hot!!! but then I'm not living in Arizona or N.M., my pictures will show a back drop of Igloos. LOL. Has anyone tried some of the other brands besides Zaino? and what do you think?
  • Options
    sp01sp01 Member Posts: 81
    the 300N.

http://www.car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b062701.htm

Looks okay to me!...;-)

• Options
    beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    We all saw that drawing about 2-3 weeks ago and were all disgusted by what the 300M replacement may look like. Sure, that car wouldn't be bad if it were an Audi or Lexus type thing, but come on, it has to at least look AS good as the current 300M!
  • Options
    stevenw300stevenw300 Member Posts: 90
    I was a long time dedicated user of Maguirs products (circa 1977). I tried Mothers once and went immediately back to Maguirs. Then I tried Zaino and I'll never go back. The Zaino products are by far the best I've ever used. If your car is new and has no circular scratch marks use #1 then #2 per Zaino's instructions. Subsequent coats of #2 can be applied and they really do deepen the shine. In between applications of #2 use #6 spray to keep the car unbelievably shiny and mirror-like. If you have any circular scratch marks - use #5 instead of #2 until the scratch marks disappear.

Once you use Zaino - you will never go back.

My Champagne M has 4 coats of #2 with #6 in between each and I get compliments all the time.

Good luck.
  • Options
    Thanks for the update, I see I'm going to have to bite the bullet and order some. I just don't like the Cdn price. I'm cheap. lol,
  • Options
    It will be worth it. What color is your car?
  • Options
    It's a 01 Inferno red with sandstone interior. It's a real looker when it's washed and shined up.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    looking forward to trying out this Zaino stuf--but I hear they are going to a one step process which is supposed to be superior in quality to the two step process--anyone know when they are coming out with the new improved version---I bet their sales are dropping as some people, myself included, are waiting for the new improved version---any info on this?
  • Options
    The colour you saw was dark garnet red pearl coat.
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    hey dude, not to say anything bad, but you seem to have wrong beliefs, like:
    - auto tranny allows for better performance because you can torque-brake it
    - FWD handles better because it has less understeer (from your posting on the 300M vs LS forum)

Please let me say this.
    Auto tranny is great, but a manual is still better. Manual tranny provides direct linkage between gear instead of viscous linkage in auto. I don't know how to drive manual but I wish I did. Also just like brake-torquing auto, one can rev the engine and let go the clutch on the stick.

Also FWS *is known* for its tendency to understeer more than an RWD. True, 300M handles much better than any FWD car I know and feels like RWD in many cases, but it is still a FWD.
  • Options
    sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    We sure could use that spirit in the LS vs. 300M forum!
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Just tell the board to read their posts vs. our posts. That will settle it real fast.
  • Options
    phases78phases78 Member Posts: 471
    but just to let you know, i MAY be offline for a little while, for i have recieved the 'snow white' virus TWICE. i got rid of one, but the other i cant figure out. ill get it in due time. whatever you do, open nothing with the subject "HAHAH" or "snow white and the seven dwarves"

its not a fake, take it from me, its real.
  • Options
    like I said, nothing personal. And the 300M is still better than the LS.

I raced one up to speed limit once. We tied. He was trying. I never saw his rear so I don't know if it was V6 or V8
  • Options
    tucsongiltucsongil Member Posts: 116
    I would have loved to buy the a 2002.5 300M special, but after reading here that a 2002 Maxima will have a 6 speed manuel transmision I will pass! Is it to much to ask "taht" a special edition car have a all new 5 or 6 speed manuel transmision in stead of just a beef up version of the current tranny?

Is DC just cheap or their enginners lazy!? Both?

I love my "M"! But I mite love it less when the 6 speed Maxima hits! Yes, they will be all over the streets as the Maxima out sells the M, but true dual exhuast, 260 hp, 6 speed tranny. My wife said that she wishes that our "M" had a manuel transmision(yes gang, my wife knows how to bang gears!)!

What gets me is that our '96 24 valve Mercury Sable LS came with duals exhaust from the factory(but I did notice that current 24 valves have a single exhaust)! So if did Ford did this to a family sedan, why didn't DC enginners do this duals to the flagship super car of their line?

IMHO, DC had the right idea with the 300M Special then took a wrong turn with it's lazyness or cheapness(if there is a word) on their choice of transmisions! I envision 6 speed Maxima's spanking this super cool, super fast "looking" 300M Special left and right!

DC really has me P O'ed!
  • Options
    Some of you guys know that my family owns a furniture store here in Tucson and I work there doing the buyer/merchandiser duties. I work with the furniture factory reps selecting styles for my customer base. These reps drive all types of high end cars(BMW, Lexus, MB, Jag....).

I have two reps from Bassett furniture drive 300Ms. It is a father son team from Phoenix. Well a year ago the son left to rep Bassett in Denver CO.. After a year in CO. they son returned back to Phoenix. He called on my store the other day and I driven my "M" to work that day knowing he was was going to call on me. I wanted to show him my dual exhuast setup. He loved it and the sound. I took a look at his "M" and I was shocked! His front end looked like it had been shot with a shotgun. The Deep Slate "M" had hundreds of paint chips on the nose and hood area if was just sad! He told me that he did alot of highway traveling in CO and did not use a nose mask(aka, bra).

I do not know if this is typical of DC paint, but I really do not think that this paint should have gotten this bad!?

I tell my wife to please do not driving behind SUVs on the freeway or streets because they kick up rocks that chip the paint! Also, not to follow 18 wheelers on the freeway for the same reason.

Sorry for the sour grapes tonight guys!
  • Options
    try driving in Florida. Every day I am forced to be behind at least two dump trucks that carry gravel. They always spill that gravel. One time I had to literraly dodge fist-sized chunks of rock bouncing all over the road.
  • Options
    avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    i don't think its DC paint, thats just paint for ya. u gotta remember this is a layer is chemical stuck only a few cm thick. the plastic fascia doesnt help. if u go out and buy yourself some Chameleon paint, if it ever gets chipped, one its hard as heck to notice and try to find, two u can put another chemical on there and blend the paint, perks about chameleon paint. 5000 bucks a gallon, hermdoggs got it. otherwise, dc paint is good.
  • Options
    The Zaino will look GREAT on the Inferno Red. Please let me know what you think after your done.
  • Options
    The new Zaino product is an accelerant that you add to decrease drying time. I have some materials on it at home received with my last Zaino order of last week. I will review them and post any additional information included. Personally, the drying time has never been a problem for me and have not had the need to reapply #1 before subsequent coats of #2.
  • Options
    thill381thill381 Member Posts: 64
    The Max has always been available w/ a 5 speed trans, so there is minimal investment for Nissan to offer a 6 speed trans in the Max. Not to mention there is a much higher % of foreign cars buyers that drive manual transmissions then domestic car buyers. The R&D cost is way to much to justify for DC to offer a manual transmission in the 300M, especially considering that it would sell less than 5,000 units annually.

As for the Max out selling the 300M, it wouldn't be because of the 6 speed transmission. Nissan plans on putting there attention into the new Altima and are cutting back production on the Max to only 80,000 annually.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    what I heard was they were doing away with the #1 and allowing user to go directly to using the #2--making it a one step process---correct me if Im wrong
  • Options
    fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    I agree with you on that one!
  • Options
    Wondering what is going on with it. Any luck getting one going???? Getting tired(I'm sure alot of you guys are too) of the [non-permissible content removed] type of policing on this board!
  • Options
    These are two issues I happen to know about with our M. First of alll, as most of you know, the transmission in this car is just plain lousy. Just driving this car you can tell there's a great engine in front of you but it is being strangled and abused by the crap-bucket transmission. And then the paint, which in my opinion, is also shotty. Our 1997 Voyager clearly had a better coat of paint with virtually no chips in three years. On the 300M, every time we drive it there is a new chip or two in the paint and it scratches with even the slightest touch. In most areas GM cars are pretty cheap, but when it comes to the paint on many models, you can tell where they spent a little extra.

I know that DC is selling less and less of these cars and that is all their fault. Each year they do what, add a chrome strip, make a new wheel design, or give the car new taillights (this was one good move though). They make no significant improvement or advancement in any of their vehicles including the M. They have billions of dollars and while they are on a strict budget lately, what's so hard about working to get a 5-speed transmission that already exists in this car? What about noise insulation? Sure, this issue may be do to many factors in the overall design but they've leared how to succeed in this area lately with their new minivans that are just about silent on the road. So why is it that we go and buy a $30,000+ car and have to deal with a cheasy transmission, abundant road roar, and in our case, a body structure that feels as if everything has loosened and that rattles and bangs over bumps?

Don't get me wrong, the 300M is one of the best cars and the best deals going and we love ours despite the annoyances, but when sales are so poor and the German bone-heads come over and do nothing in the way to help but rather worsen the already bad situation, it is clear why import brands are pulverising the American manufacturers daily.

Just venting my $.02, now time to go back and read through all the crap on the 300M, Aurora, LS board.
  • Options
    Look gang!

We all feel that there is a beast of an engine under the hood of our "M"s, but the transmision is just holding back the full rage of the engine. I may be wrong here, but is this tranny a all new from the ground up or a four generation bulked up mini van tranny? The point here is, that it is not mated well with the beast under the hood!

DC has German connections? Right.

Then why dose the Lincoln LS offer a German made Gertag 5 speed manuel transmision? And DC does not offer this 5 speed?

If DC does not want to R&D their own design transmision, then they should get one from a company like Gertag. This would save millions of $$ and time.

The 300M Special should have a manuel tranny!

Lets hope the next generation "M" offers a manuel tranny as an option!
  • Options
    What is the scoop on your BassLink?

Since you and I have the base stereo system.
  • Options
    grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    Remember that in much of Colorado they put granite gravel on the streets and roads when it snows. The gravel aids traction and helps the snow melt faster because it absorbs sunlight. It also won't rust your car out before you can pay it off. But when the snow melts, it takes the road crews a few days to sweep up the gravel. In the mean time, it gets kicked up constantly. Doesn't matter how good you paint is, if you drive in it, you will suffer.

Igor
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    I have one answer for those that constantly complain about their Ms...get rid of it and get something else. My tranny is fine, my paint is fine, and I don't need a 5 speed. If I wanted a manual tranny I would have bought something different. I do agree, however, that if DC is going to make a performance 300 it needs to have a manual tranny as an option. Maybe that's the "special", maybe it's something else. I don't think they need to have it in the standard M.

For those of you that bemoan DC's lack of innovation, keep in mind that in 1999 they took a bold step forward with the introduction of these LH cars...including the M. If you want to read about innovation, sit down and read the Motor Trend Car of the Year write-up of the M from 1999. Most car manufacturers limit their modifications to minor ones for 3 or 4 years at a time. There has to be some time recovery of their billions in fixed cost of introducing a model or major platform overhaul. Otherwise all our cars would cost $50k each. DC has improved the M from 99. My '01 is quieter, has better tires, has radio controls on the wheel, etc, and I'm sure dozens if not hundreds of behind-the-scenes enhancements to make it better. We have all read that DC is moving away from the cab-forward design of the LH cars to a different platform. Why would they invest hundreds of millions in changes to a platform that is being phased out? It doesn't make practical sense.

One more thing...DC isn't being "run into the ground". Anyone else remember the near bankruptcy of Chrysler and the government guarantees that bailed it out? I would have loved to have owned some shares at $2 back then. It's now probably one of the most economically stable of the car companies, in part due to the success of the LH platform.

Sorry about the rant. Just my pennies.
  • Options
    vlisvlis Member Posts: 28
    Well spoken, sir!
  • Options
    Here's what inferno red looks like with only 1 application of Zaino. It's shinier now. :)

• Options
    I'm sure that DC has plenty of manual trannies at their disposal. It's a question of engineering and cost specific to the design of the M. Most FWD cars have transverse mounted engines. The M doesn't. The forward mounting of the engine is more space-efficient, and is why we can get so much interior room out of a 5 meter car. So to engineer or modify a tranny to handle both FWD AND a forward mounted engine is gonna take some time and bucks regardless of what they start with. My guess is that with the movement away from this platform they don't have the incentive to put forth the effort or $ for one or two years worth of usefullness. Frustrating? yes. Makes sense? yes too.
  • Options
    Well, I bought my 300M beacuse it was the best bang for the buck car I could afford in November 99. It has room, power, features, performance, & good looks. My paint is also fine, & have had few problems. Nothing most other 300M's didn't have. I agree the tranny does stink, I also agree with the notion of why DC wouldn't spend the cash to upgrade the current 300M.

It is 2001, & the 2002 model cars are coming out. All are improved, & notice a steady trend going on? Each year since 99 the car manufactors have upped power/performance/features. The 300M in 99 was the best in those departments. Now in 2001/2002 it's just not good enough now. Everyone is catching up or passed the 300M. This is why DC is going all out in the next generation, & kinda putting the current 300M on the shelf with little major changes. Yes my name is on the list for a 300M special. Does is mean I'm going to get one? No, but I am keeping the option open. I would rather get a car that's smaller, & has the performance to back up the claims. The 300M just has serious design flaws which hold back what the car can do.
  • Options
    thill381thill381 Member Posts: 64
    Sorry man, I have been swamped in the office. I did get the unit installed, took about three hours. I used 8 gauge power wire fused @ the battery, and 8 gauge ground wire grounded in the trunk at the unit. I tied into the speaker wires at the radio itself. I did this figuring it would save time as opposed to having to track down the speaker cables at various locations. I initially installed it with the woofer facing the back of the car and the passive facing the back of the passenger side folding seat back. Bad move. It sounded horrible like this, the bass was muddy and the sub kept bottoming out esentialy choking itself. The passive radiator needs more room to move air. So Last night I moved it to the edge of where the passenger side rear seat folds down (near the center of the trunk) and turned it so the woofers are firing toward each side of the car. Excellent. This unit adds a strong, deep bass note to the system. I would highly recommend it, but you can't just shove it off to the side or in the corner if you want optimum performance out of it. I will post pictures this afternoon.
  • Options
    Hey, Great Legs, and you can almost see that zit on your nose. I guess I am going to have to breat down and go with the flow, but was thinking of waiting until the new formula is out. Anyone heard any more about it? Great pic!!!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    hahah...thanks! At least you didn't comment on my socks with the sandals. lol!
  • Options
    You described exactly where my unit is....passive radiator pointing at the back seat. Maybe it's time to go unbolt it and move it around. Thanks for the info.
  • Options
    Here is what the zaino tire treatment looks like. The wheels have Z1/Z2 on them.

• Options
    Av, were you ever able to get that link in post 5846 to work for you?
  • Options
    300mlover300mlover Member Posts: 132
    This is the tip I am thinking of using for my dual set up. One of these on each side. Solid stainless steel from inlet to tip. What do you all think? I also found a stainless version of the Magnaflow used in the Hujo set up. And a stainless Dynomax for the rear in place of the Rhino. Also custom bent stainless pipe. See what I'm getting at here. An all stainless dual set up!! Ya baby!

• Options
    drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Noo Yawk Ci-tee from the doctor. First to avalanche: your 30 days of fame have started. The home page now contains a 5 image animation that loops twice (thrice?...I was up late last night updating the Club home page..and NO wine, roger...).

As membership package assembler and graphics guy, I have been quite busy trying to get the packages out in a timely manner. As a result, by duties as webMMMaster and updater, etc. of our site are being graciously handled by the talented Mr. Denverm.

I will endeavor (<--25¢ word...) to update the home page mini-image once a month (animation not guaranteed...) to try to keep everyone happy. I had planned/experimented with a little java script slide show, but the resulting file of 130+ 300m images would have bogged down loading time for the site. Hey--I'm outthere trying, ya know?

Roger: The V W dealer has found a Jella GLS for my daughter in Maryland. They will be swapping their Jetta for MY(Lisa's..) Jetta. Anticiapted ETA: who knows? On that note, am looking for nice, chrome rims (15 inches..remember this is a VW..) that will look nice and not steal eMily's thunder; AND reasonably priced. Any suggestions, folks?

Remember, tonight is party Chatroom night at the best little 300m Enthusiasts Club on the woild-widw web!

email to the work loc at glenn.beye@ny.frb.org

Ciao from the doctor!
  • Options
    uh...are you sure the tips are going to fit?...shouldn't they be a little bigger?...
    Doc
  • Options
    Nice! you'll have to post all the part numbers and sources for us.
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Glen--Do you have the intro cards that came in our original member packets? I have been spreading them like appleseeds and have run out. I posted a request to Rogor for some more, but haven't heard anything. If you are the man, and can send me some more I would appreciate it.
  • Options
    uh...are you sure the tips are going to fit?...shouldn't they be a little bigger?...
    Doc
  • Options
    I'm really not all for a manual transmission, I'd just rather have a better, most likely a new 5-speed automatic like what was apparently tested. No, ours hasn't blown up yet or ceased to shift out of gear but it clearly isn't what it should be. Maybe a stick would be a good option for a high-performance M like the Special, but it's just not for me.
  • Options
    I just sent you the pdf file for the wipercards (in German dis vould be vipercards...). Hope you haveAdobe Acrobat!
    I'm going to try to put a link to it on the home page, under the "How to Join" heading. I understand that there's been a few requests for more of these puppies, so...

L8R from ---(@¿@)---
    o
    the Doctor
  • Options
    Send me the PDF too. I hand them out like candy.
  • Options
    tnsc_300mtnsc_300m Member Posts: 76
    After reading some of the recent posts here, and the abuse directed at our beloved 300M in the 3 car shootout board. I'll throw in my Pfennings. I love my 300M , best car I've ever owned.! She's got 62K miles now, last 9K are mine. I'm also dissapointed in the tranny. Especially when braking while in "D", so I mostly use the Autostick, which I love. On my daily drive I negotiate a tight 180 degree uphill onramp to a busy 4 lane parkway. I usually exit the hairpin turn in 2nd at 20-25mph and then drop to 1st and nail it to merge into 65mph traffic upshifting to 2nd at about 5500rpm. then to third when i get up to about 60mph. the merge lane is maybe 100-150ft. It can get a little hairy!
    My request for a better tranny would be 5 spd. autostick with lower 1st gear and lower final drive gear. the build sheet on my 1999 Deep Slate Pearl Coat beauty lists "Option DLBP, Description 2.5 Overall Top Gear Ratio "
    OK, that's PATHETIC for a car of the 300M's overall performance class!
    DC guys, how bout at LEAST a 3.0:1 final drive gear with our 4 spd. Autostick, better yet 3.5:1 with a new 5 spd. Autostick. We're already suffering with crappy gas mileage (avg. 19-20 mpg.) how about making that up with perf. tranny and gears that make it worth our while???? i'll gladly trade another 2 mpg for a 6.6 sec. 0-60 time.
    I think the current 300M engine is capable of that with a little tweaking (ahem, dual exhaust) but certainly not with the curent tranny and gear setup, and the "Special" shouldn't show its fascia in a showroom if it doesn't do well under 7 sec 0-60.
    Alas, my Deep Slate Pearl coat paint is showing it's wounds on the hood and fascia. Nothing severe just noticeable when I wash & wax. but I don't fault the paint job. elsewhere on the car its flawless. I'll just have to use some touchup paint and get a good bra for my beautiful car. Something really nice to compliment her beautiful curves ;-). Does Victoria's Secret make auto accessories???
    LOL
    tnsc_300M