Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Had the window motor/regulator repair done yesterday. Only took em one hour and cost me $29 for the part that DC suggested be replaced along with the one that had to be replaced. Warranty would only pick up the mandatory part. No big deal if no more problems. So far so good and the light switch is also so far so good. No problems since that change. Also changed out the spare Dayton Dayton 245/45-17 for the Goodrich Comp TA 245/50-17 tires. As you may recall, Bridgestone said the Daytona was too wide for the 7" rim, yet the Goodrich will actually supposedly fit down to a 6.5" rim. One interesting note was that the CompTA is actually wider and larger than the Daytona that fit easily in the spare tire wheel well and is a really close cram into that space. The cover now has a slightly raised bulge in the center, but I have the after market storage mat in the trunk anyway, so that smooths the appearance out. Tire guy said that they find a lot of variance between what one mfg says is a certain size tire and another mfg's similarly sized tire. Would have been great if I had to cut carpet to get it into that wheel well.

Those weather reflector shields look pretty good, but I am concerned if they will impact on window operation, given that I just got the motor/regulator replaced. How do they stay in place without causing the window to bind when closing?

Pairs competition. Canada got robbed, and would have ended up in third if the Chinese had landed that jump successfully. That is just the way that whole system works. Crooked from the get go.
  • 300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    At least these guys didn't build your M. Maybe he figured that you would want a skylight put in the family room.
    Have you wife put in another row of cabinets, that way you could get that Paxton supercharger you always wanted ;)
  • arby500arby500 Member Posts: 68
    That new wall unit makes the whole side of the room so much nicer looking. I just bought my wife some "nice" jewelry for Valentine's Day. I'm about to buy some Saltwater Fishing equipment (my passion) for me. I won't hear a word. It's good to know others do the same thing :^)
  • avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    hey guys, long time no talk. i've been in and out of states, and in the meantime got my license suspended for 6months. but i decided to sell the 300, it'll be on ebay later tonite, sry guys. just tired of the car, still like it and all but... got a 97' Acura NSX-T. i gotta say after driving it, the m is nothing. already started working on the nsx, i'll post up pics of course later. but i wanted to post up here and ask, well it books for about 17-18 right, only 36k miles, 99' (i'm talkin about the 300m). i have 18grand in it, with stereo rims suspension exhaust intake engine work, custom paint, everything shaved, hinging tailight, custom fiberglass dash, and a few other minor things. i was gonna set reserve at 28k, any suggestions? this is my first time sellin a car, NEWBIE.
    Glad to hear you are OK. I was kinda worried about you when you hadn't posted in a long time. Is the NSX that high-priced sports model that Acura has. Only thing I ever heard about that car aside from how slick it looked and how fast it was, is that the tires wear out every 15K miles. The joke was, owners of this high end car can afford new tires all the time. Anyway, good luck and stay with us on the board. I would be surprised if you can get anywhere near your projected reserve. But who knows until you try.
  • glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    Sorry to hear of your troubles and decision to sell your M... but c'mon, comparing an NSX to an M is like comparing an F-15 to a Boeing 737. About the only thing they have in common is they're both jet aircraft. Obviously built for completely different purposes. As far as selling your M, unless you find that one person that always wanted an M with all your mods, you're gonna get killed on the price. Most folks just don't care about all that good stuff when it comes to plunkin' their money down. But I do wish you the best of luck!
  • drpixeldrpixel Member Posts: 256
    Avalanche...sorry to hear about your license being suspended, etc, and definitely sorry to see your going to sell your 300m.....good luck in your future endeavors.....

Question for forum: What kind of tire 'stuff' do youse guys--and goils--use on your tires? For those of you have been here for a while, I used some stuff called "TireWet" that loked really good on the Goodyears. One summer's day, I put it on the tires, and didn't drive for a couple of days. The S.O. took eMily out, and when I got home she drsagged me out to the car and showed me brown, yucky, AWFUL stains on the rear bumper/fascia (right behind the tire..).
    GASP, ARGHHHHHH, Oh.......my God....! Imagine my shock, the pain, the INSULT to my eMily!

Eventually took it to autobody guy who didn't have a can/bottle of "Use this to save Glenn's Tushy" around, so what he did was use some 00000000000002 grade sandpaper and literally took off the top coat of Clearcoat, and got all the stains out. Apparently Chrysler puts 2 coats on, so the staining dod not go through to the paint. In hind site, I loked at the BACK of the label which was on a clear bottle, which said in teeny, tiny, eeensy-meensy text: do not use this product on tires newer than 6,000 miles. Newer bottles put a warning lable on the FRONT of the @#$%ing bottle!

When I got the free scratch that -25 star dealer gave me fro free, the autobody guy was nice enough to re-clearcoat the entire rear bumper/fascia for me.
    Now, what is the preference here amongst my fellow 300m'ers for tire shine stuff? I lik'em really shiny. Have been using ArmorAll Foam stuff--90% air, 5% product, 5% propellant(?). I want/need something that will last more that 3 days. I await your learned responses.....

Doc
    Go to Zaino Bros. and order their Z-16 tire stuff. Best there is... period! Nothing more need be said.

http://www.zainobros.com
    The weather reflectors have a very thin machined edge that fit into the outer "dew wiper" slot around the window. When installed properly, their is no contact with the window at all. My windows slide up and down perfectly with the reflectors in place. No need to worry about them messin' up your window mechanisms.
  • sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    Glenn1, I agree with what Glenn2 said. Zaino. One coat gives you a satin finish, two coats makes it glossy. Works on molding and trim too, and does a find job on my hood bra.
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    I use Vinylex and find to to be excellent too. 1st coat is satin finish, second coat more glossy.

It isn't greasy and lasts for a long time.
  • uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    I just talked to Ira again at PTwarehouse and he will make the labels in brushed gold with the Chrysler name and wing emblem in black as well as the silver backgound with black inserts and one with a black background with gold inserts.The labels will be 2-3/4" x 5" rectangular with rounded edges. As I had said before use the following catalogue numbers to order them as the web site still only shows the ones for the PT cruiser.

VISORSV-05 for silver

VISORBK-05 for black

VISORGLD-05 for the gold.

They are $16.00 a pair U.S. The site is at http://www.ptwarehouse.com/index1.htm
  • uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    Forgot to mention that I will also post this information on the other 300M sites along with the sites for the Concord, Sebring,Intrepid, T&C and Neon.
  • 300mmm300mmm Member Posts: 27
    I'll post a pic some time soon but they have pics at the site as well. Also, the owner was very helpful and responsive by email after the purchase when I had some questions.

http://www.magnetbra.com/

P.S. Just got the car back from replacing the cd player. Would it be asking too much that they not leave greasy footprints all over the door sill? (very obvious with taupe interior) I mean, it would take all of 5 seconds to wipe clean. I'm also trying to decide if I'm upset enough to make them replace the panel that surrounds the shifter area. It looks like it was scratched in taking the radio panel off. Not really scrathed, it has a few lines that are shiny, you know when plastic that has a satin finish or grain like this does is rubbed by a sharp edge but not actually grooved? Does anyone know of a way to mask this? Maybe some armorall or something similar.

• blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Did any of SD guys see Channel 10 News this morning? They were doing a profile of the show that starts today and the reporter was standing the the Chrysler section. They were showing a really nice Prowler with flames and mentioning how it was going to be the last year it was produced. They had the Director of the car show there and he was saying he could remember just a few years ago when the Prowler was a concept..."just like this one"...and I was expecting to see the Crossfire or something, but no....it was that beautiful HemiC rotating on a raised platform. I don't know how much inside knowledge this guy has, but he said if things go as planned it should start production in a couple years.

On separate note, I saw one of those new Cadillac's (CTS?) on the road yesterday. Looks better in person, but I still like my M.
  • lflowerslflowers Member Posts: 155
    I've seen a new CTS on the road. To me it looks worse than it's photos. I just don't like the direction Cadillac is taking with their styling. All their new cars and concept cars have that "edgy" look (sharp edges and corners everywhere). Well, it makes me edgy too.
    Oh well, I never liked (or bought) Cadillacs anyway, so I guess they could care less whether I like their cars.
    Some of the new Chrysler concept cars look good (HemiC, some artist's concepts of the next 300M), others look pretty bad (that kinda 50's looking Dodge sedan, the PowerWagon truck).
    I guess I'll just have to wait and see what they actually decide to build before I decide if I want my next car to be a Chrysler.

Lynn Flowers
    McKinney, Texas
    Man, I have the DC hood bra and this magnetic one looks a heck of a lot better. It really lays down flat compared to the one I have. I have seen no flutter on mine and it comes off when rain is forecast or encountered, but if the magnetic one works as good as it looks I would have to consider getting it. The price is as cheap as the DC one too. I have the 3M clear protective stuff on the front anyway, so I am not too worried about flutter, but that one sure looks good.
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    I've had excellent results with Stoner More Shine Less Time for tires. http://www.moreshine.com/

Leaves a nice black finish, won't brown, no greasy residue, and lasts for weeks. Just spray it on and let it dry. One coat for a satin finish or two for gloss.
  • avalanche165avalanche165 Member Posts: 558
    the price factor, resale is gonna kill me. maybe sell without stero and rims? good guy gave me that idea earlier in an email. but the way i figure, no average joe is gonna buy this car, someone who has a mindset much like mine...CUSTOM. so they will know right off how much money is poured into it, from shaving everything imaginable to those 20's. and the paint wasnt cheap either. so hoping to get that crowd of ppl. if worse comes to worse, i'll have to take it up to carlisle in may, at the spring fest and sell it there, or try anyway. thanks for input.

oh and yea doc, i've always loved f-15's ;)
    thats why im sellin the 300.
  • scotianscotian Member Posts: 1,064
    Not installed yet, pics with my new camera:

http://public.fotki.com/Scotian/300m/cross-drilled_rotors/

• ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    does it make one's nipples stick up? :)
  • sirharpersirharper Member Posts: 112
    After my 1.5* basically refused to do it without leaving it overnight I took it to the performance shop that did my Borla and Intake/throttle body. They had it done in less than an hour (1.5* said it took 4 hours). The work was perfect! $60 got it done. There is something very reassuring about when they pull a Ferrari Modeno down off their rack so they can put your M up!!!!
    I totally know what you mean! I'm at the point now where I don't want to have the dealers do anything if I can help it. I don't trust them to change the oil! If I need something done and it's not too expensive, I'd rather take it to someone that does it to actually make a living and takes a little pride in what they do. And yes... it's VERY reassuring to see expensive exotic cars being "treated" where you're "baby" is being treated also!
  • ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Prowler production comes to an end this Fri.Get yours while you still can. .;-)
    Scotian- Hope you don't mind me asking, but what did the parts cost?; and, What do you think the labor will be to install? I had been looking at the ART site and thinking of theirs. I think they wanted $280 for the front and $240? for the back. Course then comes the cost of having someone who knows what to do putting them on. Not sure I am there yet, that's a chunk of bucks.
    That's great news that the Hemi C is there! I was also talking to the GM of Bob Baker Chrysler (where we're having the meet) today and he said there's going to be a tricked out 300M there as well (20 inch wheels, etc).
  • mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    I saw a white 300 driving down 15 South this morning with a spoiler that I hadn't seen before. It didn't look as much like a wing. The sides of it "rolled" down to meet the outside edge of the fenders. It looked very much like a late eighties Toyota Supra Turbo rear spoiler. Does anyone know what I'm talking about? Do I know what I'm talking about??? Does anyone know where I can get this spoiler?
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    DC just announced that the Pacifica is going to be built at a DC plant in Windsor Ont. Is it just me or is it the ugliest looking car you have seen?
  • blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Mike - sounds similar to the Keystone spoiler. That's the one I almost bought but decided I liked it without. It's the one Fuzzywuzzy had on his and Racefan has on his (you can see a pic of his on the Yahoo site).
    My websites are still

http://community.webshots.com/user/my300m_ It has general pictures and little dialog, and covers about 12 topics.

My other one is

http://Chrysler300M.homestead.com/Chrysler300M.html Not as many pictures but more indepth. I am in the process of updating it and editing out the old pictures and diagrams.

For older mods and progressive changes, to the present, it's webshots site. For the current product it Homestead.
  • denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    I won't be buying one, but I don't think it looks all that bad: http://car-truck.com/chryed/buzz/b010702.htm

I could come up with a fairly long list of cars that, IMHO, are much, much uglier.
  • fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    sdmike2-

Mmmm..... isn't that the 2nd scratch the SO has put on BigRed? What's that 3 strikes and..... ;-)))

Is that an X-10 module I see plugged in the wall there in your first pic of the old bookcase? They make other items for the house that will work with the other buttons on the Homelink system in the 300M.

With all your "free" time lately, I can't keep up with this topic. Leaving for West Palm Beach, FL on Sat. I'll have to make sure I get to the library once a day to keep up here. ;-))

AV-

I was just going to ask if ANYONE had heard from you. It has been a long time. Hope all is well. Miss seeing all your pics and mods. Welcome to the Acura family. I can just IMAGINE what you're going to do to that car! ;-)) Post some pics.

fastdriver
  • greasykid1greasykid1 Member Posts: 336
    I'm a little behind on this subject but my 2001 M came with a shifter that is chrome across the top & the rest leather that matches the interior. Is this the standard shift knob?

As for scratches several years ago a body shop gave me a scratch remover that really workes. It could ONLY be bought at a profession paint supplier. It was a 3M product.Forgot the name but would recognize it if someone came up with it.
  • russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Welcome to the forum!
    I believe what is now the Chrysler Concorde Limited used to be the Chrysler LHS. I don't know if the 3.5 engine is standard on this or not, but it would give you the go you want.
    I too will miss your Modifications to the 300M (if I can can call you car a 300M). It is true, that it is hard to recoupe the money you put into it. You could also check into some of the custom car shows and try to sell it there. If it wasn't saving up for the Next N or some other car I would seriously considered it. But that is why I revert back to my rule #2 The car must be able to be returned as close to stock as possible.
    Enjoy your new (to you) NSX (or what ever it will be when you get done with it) it is one fine ride and is one of the two cars that Acura makes that I really like (the S2000 is the other( I know it is a Honda, but it is the same company)). I was kind of hopeing to see it on Ebay to see what it fetches.
    in a little less than an hour.
    The two possible stock shifters on the 2001 M are both both black. One is all black leather and the other has a piece of chrome on the top and front facing the rear seats. If you have a different color or a different chrome piece you have something else.

Yes, that's an X10 module. I use them all over the house. It was real nice to have my outside Xmas lights on remote control too. lol
  • kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    By the way, just what IS the story with the shift knobs in 2001? The brochures made a big deal about the chrome trimmed knob, but I never actually saw one on a 300M. It sounds like they were discontinued part way through the year.

Anybody here know why?
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    Hey, if I had the cash, I'd be willing to give you at least $25 grand for the car. I happen to like just about all the mods you've done and it would be worth it.

Just completed all the driver's ed stuff this week and will have my permit the end of this month.

Now, I just have to find $25 or $30 g's lying around somewhere!
  • beach15beach15 Member Posts: 1,305
    What happened to the link with pics of the car? Do you have anymore up showing the new interior?
  • mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    They discontinued the chrome shifter shortly after they went on sale, around Nov. or Dec. You can tell an early 01 by that shifter. I had 2- 01's factory ordered in Jan and another in Mar and they both had leather shifters. I prefer the leather or if I had a chance I would like a burlwood shifter, only because I have the sandstone interior. I guess in depends on your taste.
    It is indistinguishable from every other minivan. It is not ugly, it is boring. Completely, utterly boring.
  • easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    did you check out the interior and list of ammenities----250 hp--autostick, power heated seats ---dual consoles, dvd player, nav system, power rear gate, rear auto adjust air suspension,dual climate control, anilock brakes, side airbags, low profile car like handling, ----check out the nice comfortable bucket seats

If you need the space of a minivan, the handling and low profile of a car, and the comforts of a luxury vehicle , I think that vehicle is a hit--expecially if priced right.
    Front KVR cross-drilled rotor: $133 ea.
    Cadmium plating: $15 ea.
    Cryogenic treating: $56 ea.
    Porterfield R-4S Brake pads, front 591 & rear 512: $148
    Then there's some S&H.
    *yawn*
    I've been in the Pacifica and it's wonderful inside...not at all boring. It's kind of a cross between a mini-van and a SUV, and the rear seats flip and fold in such a way to make the back one big wall-to-wall bed. This, of course, assumes that everything in the prototype made it to production. If I remember correctly it had autostick and the 3.5 liter engine, which would imply that it's FWD and not RWD like the 300N will be. The sample pricing that they gauged us on was in the mid to high 30s, which I thought was too much (and told them so).
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    Thanks for the welcome. You are correct, it does have the 3.5L HO (250hp) engine. It also has 17" chrome wheels, Infinity stereo, etc. Basically the same equipment as the 300M.

I picked up a Concorde brochure yesterday and the inside front cover has the Chrysler lineup all parked next to each other, and all looking pretty good in silver. The Concorde and 300M are next to each other and it is obvious that, except for some curves on the front and rear fenders and bumpers, they are the same car.

I suspect that the 300M suspension is tuned for a more sporting ride, and the 300M also has a more agressively styled body, but everything else appears identicle.
    The Pacifica, like all SUV type vehicles and particularly the Aztek, IMHO it belongs in the Pacifica [Ocean].

Brakes and rotors--Scott--too rich for me at this point. Let us know the installation cost and how they feel once installed.

Av--On the resale of your 99M. The problem, unless you find someone who has cash to burn, is that a credit union or bank will normally only finance the book value of a 99M, irrespective of the improvements. They don't care if new, used, etc., they just look at the Kelly Blue Book for a 99M with what factory equipment and how many miles on it. Around KY a 99M is going for maybe $16K in the newspapers, so it would be hard for some interested buyer to get a loan approaching what you want as your reserve. Now, if you can find a person with lots of down payment cash or just a whole lot of cash, like at one of those shows, you might have some luck.
  • on1wheelon1wheel Member Posts: 68
    did you only get the front rotors? i paid $640 for mine but i didnt get the cryo treatment. did you get them from KVR or someone else? looks like mone have a different drill pattern,and a bunch more holes. dont forget to put sone good anti-squeak compound on the back of your pads before installing them. i found it works best if you put it on let it dry for a couple hours,then install them.
    what type of material are your pads? mine are carbon fiber.
    also,as for the clock face,the wife loves it! said its the best thing i done to any of our vehicles in years! she shows it off to everyone.
    a note to everyone else...clock face now says "Tammy`s 300m". what went wrong here?!

bigmike5- as for installing them,its a simple task.if you can change a flat,you can change pads and rotors too.you only need a couple simple tools like a c-clamp,and allen wrenches.
    as for cost,i found the factory stuff aint so cheap either!
  • on1wheelon1wheel Member Posts: 68
    does anyone know how kylekieth done this mod? i`d like to do this one myself. i seen on the sebring board,a guy just peeled out the amber liner inside the clear housing. is this how ours is done? anyone got an extra turn lamp laying around? if so,cut it open and check it out!
    i picked up some side marker lights yesterday,so i`ll be puttin them on soon. wife says i have to remove my blue GS stripes.she hates them. also,the lettering will come off at the same time!
    i also changed to plat+4 plugs yesterday.i guess it was about time after 46k miles.