Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    psterpster Member Posts: 293
    The A/C failure was diagnosed as a failed evaporator that would entail removing my entire dashboard to fix - $1100. After just spending $1200 to replace the hydraulic pump in the 300M's transmission and another $250 to fix yet another failed window motor, I'm throwing in the towel. I have zaino'd and babied this car all the way but it's parts are failing faster than I can spit. I expect to get another CAMRY. My current CAMRY has 104,000 trouble free miles. I think this is evidence that while all cars have problems, some are in fact built better than others. I know all you guys love your 300M's, and I would too if it weren't for the mechanical failures. I am so sorry this wonderful car design was failed by its components. Best of luck to you all. Phil
  • Options
    glennbpglennbp Member Posts: 327
    I can't blame you... That's a lot to endure. What year is your M and how many miles are on it? AFA the Camry... I know a lot of people bad mouth it, but it is a very nice looking and highly reliable auto. If you choose to get one, good luck and drop us a note every so often.
  • Options
    uxca300muxca300m Member Posts: 155
    I checked the net on the requirements for getting into Canada and all that is required is either a passport or a birth certificate with photo I.D. (Your drivers license would do) As someone else mentioned it would be a good idea to get an extension of you medical coverage for the few bucks it would cost. Anyone driving up through New York state be aware that the use of cell phones while driving is a $100.00 fine so stow them for a while.
    Now getting back into the U.S.A. may be a different story although I do understand that if you have all of the above plus an official Mickey Mouse Club membership card or and autographed picture of Annette Funicello to show them there should be no problem( I know I'm dating myself) :)
    The main highway from Detriot to Brampton is the 401 and the posted speed limit is 100 km per hour. If your doing 110 KM you won't get pulled over. Above that your taking your chances.
  • Options
    pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    You might want to call DC customer service and request some "assistance." DC evap coils are notorious for failure and they will likely pay you at least for the part, over $300 and may contribute to the labor, too. They have in fact extended the warranty on Jeep a/c. You might want to ask for assistance on the trans, too. Don't take the dealer's word for it; some will just reject your claim flat out. Call DC customer service and give them a chance; DC is spending $$$ to improve their warranty reputation and wants to be known for quality even though they slip up sometimes. So far I have received assistance from DC on paint, a/c and trans (on second replacement). To err is human, to forgive, devine.....
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    blonda-

In addition, don't you need SPECIAL insurance to drive in Mexico? US insurance doesn't cut it. Also, if you're in an accident in Mexico, you're GUILTY until proven innocent! Who wants to go through that in addition to the stone chips!

BTW, how come you have so many problems with "screws"?? First, it was the dealer. Then, it was the left over screw you found in your car. Now, it's the spark plug screw!! LOL....

pster-

Good luck with your new drive. Be careful though. You know what they say about the Japanese "perceived" quality. Could end up with something worse! ;-))))))))

fastdriver
  • Options
    sdmike2sdmike2 Member Posts: 2,909
    When I went to Toronto a couple of years ago the canadians didn't ask me for anything but my driver's license to get in. However, to get BACK it was another issue. I had to get my wife to fax a copy of my birth certificate to go with my license as proof of citizenship. Driver's license alone won't do it. I flew....driving might be different. I know to get into the US from Mexico only requires a driver's license and non-guilty sounding answers to a couple of questions.
  • Options
    videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    Thanks everyone for answering my questions about getting in and out of Canada. Many years ago when I went there, it was for business. I was a computer consultant and Mack Trucks had a system I had to look at. Well, unfortunately I told the border officer the truth as to why I was coming through. I knew I was in trouble when he said "What, we don't have any computer consultants in Canada that can do your job?". He then told me to go over to a white building and wait. Well, to make a long story short, they didn't let me in. So I went back to the USA, waited a while, then came through again. This time at a different booth and I told them I was visiting an aunt. I got through with no problems.

This time, though, I may just get me that Passport and have my answers prepared.

-vman
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    have you ever flown to Santo Domingo? The ride from the airport to the city is pretty hairy, especially at night. There is construction everywhere, median is not paved, cars and motorcycles, and pedestrians cross the highway anywhere they want to. Those crossing cars have to slow down while in the left lane before driving onto the median.
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Chrome shifter from K & M Dodge, 4100 Plainfield Avenue, Grand Rapids, MI. (800) 999-9470 ask for Tom. Part No. 4593526-AA. Cost $76.50 + $4.59 shipping. I had mine 3 days after I called them. To replace, set parking brake, move the shifter to the autostick position to be able to get at the set screw in front. Shut off engine. Use a star or hex to untighten the screw. Lift knob off and put new knob on making sure it goes down all the way and is fully seated on the shift post. Do not tighten the set screw too hard when mounting the new shifter. Moderate is good. Good luck.
  • Options
    You know, I like the overall 300M so much, I did decide to get a second opinion and Pluto5 thanks for the advice, I plan to raise bloody hell. I have owned 5 Chrysler vehicles and I have decided if they aren't going to help me with this, I'm leaving them forever. I took it to another 5 Star dealership as the first one I took it to, and from whom I purchased the car, lost my trust (I overheard one of the service reps telling another with his hand over the telephone mouthpiece: "...don't worry Bill, I'll sell him on the repair"). That's B.S. I felt like they were "selling me" an unnecessary repair. Still waiting to hear from the other dealership. Thanks for all of your collective advice and support. I'll update as i know more.

Phil
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Since we live in the Buffalo area, and go to Canada quite often, we keep expired passports and a copy of our son's birth certificate in the glove compartment at all times.
    Canada customs is especially watchful for people spiriting children over the bordder. Be sure you have proper ID for any children in the car.
    If you have no passport, a voters registration card will work, along with your driver's license.
    Answer all questions honestly, but don't volunteer anything.
    Most of all, DON'T LIE about anything! If they catch you in a lie, you are in for a long day!
    The Canadian border is a very easy one to cross, and you are very unlikely to have any trouble, just be relaxed at the border.
    One last tip: I always take off my sunglasses in an obvious manner as I approach the inspection booth. It gives a strong signal that I have nothing to hide.
  • Options
    Pster- Take a look at Wyckoff Chrysler on the net. I checked for a 99M A/C evaporator and they listed a price of $227 for one. I don't know all the ins and outs of parts needed for a fix but my bet is that you can fix it for a lot cheaper than $1,100 if it's the evaporator.
  • Options
    Mike, thanks for the post on the evaporator. The part cost is not the real problem. The evaporator is located behind the dashboard. The Chrysler service rep told me their standard labor estimate for removing and replacing the dashboard to get to the evaporator is the real cost - 8 hours. When I took the car to the second dealership, all I told them was "the a/c doesn't work". I gave them no other info as I wanted a second unbiased opinion. Thansk! Phil
  • Options
    rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    Why would you send a person to a dealer for this when we have a club member selling them on our site for less money?
    Tom Mills is selling them for $75.(includes shipping)
    Go to club ads for address. They are also on the club message board.
    Geezer300M
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    Is Tom Mills the same Tom who works at that Dodge dealer? How did they get the shift handles. I already placed my order before I read your post, but it's only a few bucks in shipping. No bigee.
  • Options
    blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    I think it's the same Tom.
  • Options
    blondablonda Member Posts: 542
    Fastdriver -
    Yes you do want to get Mexi insurance before crossing the border. It's pretty inexpensive. Things have improved down south with regard to crooked law enforcement but there can still be problems. We had an issue a couple years ago with a man from San Diego who was in a very bad accident. They automatically put guilt on him and wouldn't release him to the US Medical authorities for quite some time. He was in such bad shape he died because of lack of medical care. When I was a kid my parents and a group of friends use to take 4x4 excursions to Baja a lot. One of the favorite pasttimes was for a Mexican in a beat up car to pull in front of a nice US car, causing an accident. The Policia would show up shortly thereafter demanding $$ and threating to throw you in jail. Happened to them a few times. My father is a retired USFS Ranger/Investigator, all he had to do was flash his badge and they'd back off with an apology.

Ruski - this will be my first flight into a 2nd world country. Since the hotel arranged my transport I'm going to hope for the best. I can imagine though a beat up old truck showing up with chickens and goats in the back. :-) They also have so many potholes I have heard that to see a vehicle weaving in and out of traffic is normal. If they are going straight you better get out of the way. Stops signs mean "do you feel lucky?" I also heard that only Costa Ricans are allowed on their hospitals. They have "special" places for non citizens that are usually quite a distance to get to.
  • Options
    driving in Naples, Italy! Worst drivers on the planet, bar none!!! Sidewalks are fair game if you think you can make it and speed is only relative to how big an engine you have. No respect at all for other's property either. Absolutely the WORST in the world!
  • Options
    Sorry to ask another Canada trip question, but is it better to bring cash (exchanged at a bank of course) and buy things with it, or is it better to just use a credit card? I assume that Mastercard/Visa widely accepted there.

I understand buying little things with cash, but things like going out to eat and such. Will you guys be using credit cards for that? Is the exchange rate automatically calculated on your credit card bill?

-vman
  • Options
    Didn't know that info was on the Club site, don't go there too often for parts info. Gave the info that was asked for since I had it handy and the price I paid. mea culpa.
  • Options
    jgranatajgranata Member Posts: 70
    pster, i hope you're successful with getting d/c to help out with the a/c repairs. i will say that
    a/c problems with all auto makes is not unusual,
    including toyota. on my 90 seville, i needed the evaporator replaced...other guys with the same year and model have never had an a/c problem...it's the luck of the draw. i will say that looking at the numbers you posted, for recent repairs, it's some food for thought when contemplating an extended warranty and it's cost.
    todays autos are so outrageous to repair with the
    repair shops and dealers getting 80$ an hour. the
    extended warranty issue is something that should be considered, now that the first generation of 300m's are coming into the "repair zone" for lack of a better term. i think it's especially pertinent since so many 300mers own their vehicle.
    that's why i was curious about the maintanence costs on the motor, such as the timing belt and if it requires having the water pump replaced as some of the imports 'suggest' having it done when the belt is replaced. i have followed this board semi religously even though i'm not an owner of the 300m, it's not out of desire, believe me, but more because i had reservations about the build quality of chrysler. because of the posters on this board and the lack of any real issues with the car, i came to the conclusion that american hardware was just as reliable as the imports, and i still believe this. if there's any one issue that separates the domestics from the imports, it's the dealer service, or lack thereof. not that the imports are any better in some cases, but if you plan on holding onto a car for a while, the relationship with the dealer becomes even more important than the first couple of years. sorry for the long post, but i thought it was something that needed to be said. after 3-4 years of ownership, things are going to break; some not so expensive and some unbelievably expensive. just some things to consider if someone
    is considering holding onto their vehicle for a good while. jackg
  • Options
    mikeyjohnmikeyjohn Member Posts: 365
    You can be assured that all your credit cards and cash are widely accepted here in Canada. I would suggest that you bring some cash (exchanged at a bank) and use your credit cards at will. The exchange is done automatically by your credit card company so you will know what you paid for in US dollars when you get your bill. use these cards in restaurants and I believe the standard tipping is 15% but only if you are satisfied. I don't know when the last time or if ever that you were in Canada, but you should not be surprised if for a short period that you were at home, because there is not much of a difference north of the border, except the language AYE!!!!!!!!!! Have fun and have a safe trip!!!!!!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the post! I don't entirely disagree with your views - I did in fact buy a 300M three years ago. I think American cars have made great strides, particularly in NVH improvements. My only point is that I feel strongly that a $30M car should not have "major" failures in less than 60,000 miles. Things do break, but if they break "above the norm", I expect some help from the manufacturer. I do now value reliability more than I did 3 years ago since I maintain 3 cars now for myself, my wife, and a 16 year old driver. I always thought that maintenance contracts were way overpriced and were simply subsidizing the manufacturers warranty costs. Why should I pay for a maintenance contract that won't kick in until after the initial 3 year warranty period? In effect, the manufacturer is getting a "deposit" from you free of cost for three years. Just based in the time value of money at 10%, a $1400 contract should be worth $1000 today. But hey, its a free market. Let the best cars win!
  • Options
    Yes, I agree. It irks me that 2 items that will, in all likelihood, need replacing at some point in time are that difficult to get to. Were it impossible to design the M without those changes, I could understand, but that's not the case. Hell, the Lincoln LS has the battery in the trunk! How tough would that have been for DC? And I'm sorry, but removing the front end of a car to change a bulb is just crazy. It shouldn't take but 2 minutes to change ANY bulb and it is something that you should be able to do on the side of the road somewhere. There has to be a better and easier way!
  • Options
    jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    Over 900 posts on Edmunds under Camry problems.
    Toyota blaming owners for engine failures, not their problem?
    No personality or styling, like eating a Big Mac, appeal to the masses with no taste!

Good luck with your new Camry, as for me, I'll stick with Mopar for the next thirty year like the last thirty and pay the price to drive the best looking cars in the world.
  • Options
    I can only attest to my own personal experience. My CAMRY has been great, although I can't say I have been particularly happy with the Toyota dealer either. I expect as the 300M ages a bit more beyond its brief 3 years of existence, it too will show significantly more mechanical problems. As others have said, all cars break down and I think much of it has to do with the owners level of care, etc. I will guarantee everyone on this board one thing: if you had to spend $3000 in 90 days on repairs to your 1999 300M with 45,000 miles, you'd be mighty upset too. I hope the 300M reliability improves because I absolutely love the cars design, size, power, etc. In the future, I will either buy extended maintenance contracts or sell the car at 3 years. Either way, I lose.
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    By all means use a credit card for all but incidental purchases. You will automatically get the official exchange rate, with no transaction charge.
    We will be travelling to Canada on a Sunday when the banks are closed, and the US banks are going to charge a fee for changing money.
    I will check to see if our hotel can exchange small amounts.
  • Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    I sympathize with you; $3K in 90 days on a car with 45K miles is bad. Unfortunately, I think there is some chance of that with any car one buys. Folks can and do argue over whether that chance is higher with DC cars than Japanese cars, and if so, how much, but it exists to some extent with any car. My own unsubstantiated opinion is that the odds of that happening on any new car these days are relatively low, and perhaps lower on Toyotas than DC cars. I don't believe there to be enough difference between manufacturers to cause me to choose a car that bores me over one that really fires me up.

So then there's the issue of extended warranty. Right now my 2000 M is at 35,500 miles, so I've given it consideration one more time. At http://www.chryslerwarranty.com/ , the DC MaxCare zero-deductible warranty for 100K miles and 72 mos. would cost me $2,280 (for a car in service between 13 and 36 months, only $200 higher than for a car in service 12 months or less). If I were to buy an extended warranty, that would be the one, because I tend to think that there's a greater chance of a lot of little problems than a few big problems, and the deductibles and exclusions of lesser plans would really tick me off.

I've decided not to buy a warranty. I'll take the chance on future repairs, knowing that it's entirely possible that I'll have problems like yours and have to pay more than the warranty would cost. It's a judgment call, and I won't second-guess my call down the road if it turns sour. I really love this car and hope to hold on to it for a while. Compared to the cost of buying a new car every three years or so, even $3K of repair bills is not that extreme. Bottom line: between initial purchase, repairs, maintenance, tires, insurance, gas, and Zaino, a car is an EXPENSIVE possession!

• Options
    CamcruzrCamcruzr Member Posts: 13
    Have '99 300M with PHP.32K miles.Tires beginning to show need to replace. I bought PHP for bigger brakes and better handling! not to make high speed turns, or midnight racing.
    I want my new tires to make less road noise, wear longer,(I'm used to getting 60-70K on other cars.)and handle better in snow.
    CAN I SAFELY USE A LOWER RATED TOURING/PERFORMANCE Tire like Dunlop D-60 A/2 or similar tire???
    Your Input will be appreciated.THANKS!!
  • Options
    rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    Sorry if I was sounding like I was honked off. After I posted that I reread it and it sounded hostile. Mea Culpa to you too.

Tom does not work at the Dodge dealer. He owns a successful Auto shop in northern Indiana and has connections with Chrysler. An Entrepenuir(???) so to speak.
    He just joined our club and has helped me immensely with mods on my M.
    Again, Mike, I apologize. See you in Detroit, Tom is coming also with a whole bag of tricks for our Ms.
    Rick/Geezer300M
  • Options
    guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    i just replaced my 00 php with bridgestone potenza re 950's. they are based on the potenza racing rain tire. very smooth and they handle great. they are H rated not V rated. i've gotten great mileage out of bridgestones on my ram. these are highly rated.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires.jsp?tireMake=Bridgestone&tireModel=Potenza+RE950
  • Options
    Good post Den. Your thought process about not buying the warranty is very similar to what I have always gone through. The broken window motors and tranny problem bothered me less than this evaporator issue. What has me upset and more than a little worried is the fact that they will be removing my entire dash. That just scares the hell out of me! I am more than a little concerned that afterwards I will have one or more rattles and creaks and I just know that will drive me up the wall, and back to the dealer for more fixes. But.....I figure if I pay $1200 to have it fixed, at least then I am "entitled" (gee I hate that word) to keep going back until I'm satisfied. I am through being the consuming lamb. By the way, I have already called DC Customer Service and got a File number assigned to this. I got a human being on the line in 10 minutes who was a good listener. He read me back my file information which was almost verbatim what I told him had happened. He seemed to want to get the part about the dealer saying "he would sell me on the repair" input correctly. If the dealer doesn't offer to contact DC to help cover the repair, I'll call DC Customer Service back. Phil
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    I believe you have the 16 inch wheels right? they dont come in 17 inch factory replacement size for the m---you have to go lowprofile and wider so speedo would be affected. looks like a great tire for the 16 inch wheel and the price is right--$95 each. Ijustbough the YOko 420's but havent mounted them yet. Just $85 ea for v-rated 17 inch tires--such a deal!
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    You should definetly stay with V rated tires. Although you never drive that fast, if you or anyone else were to exceed the speed rating of the new tires and there was a tire failure, there would be potential liability. As the car will reach those speeds, there is always that possibility. Consensus in the industry is NEVER to downgrade to a lower speed rated tire than the manufacturer called for on that particular vehicle.
  • Options
    pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    Don't want to belabor the point but you really should deal directly with DC customer service by calling their 800 number. It takes a while to get thru their overly automated phone system but once you do (have the VIN ready) you will be connected with a surprisingly caring individual who will even volunteer his/her first name! (Pardon my sarcasm.) My vehicle was older than yours so they didn't pay any of the labor on the a/c coil replacement but they do on later model Jeeps, for example. BTW, I had mine replaced at an independent shop and the labor charge was much less than 8 hours and at a lower hourly rate than the dealer.
  • Options
    exactly that's why i recommended the tire to camcruzr, he has the 16" php wheels. it's a heck of a tire and a heck of a deal. they went up, i only paid $88
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    blonda-

Sounds as nutty as Puerto Vallarta and Acapulco, Mexico. Heard the same stories about those same tactics in these areas as well. That's why I've never rented anything there. Some things are scary enough there without adding to the mix!

jab02lhs-

Oh NO!! Now it's boring old Big Macs. Oh well, they're big sellers too! ;-)) Guess that's why there's Burger King, Wendy's and the rest of them. To each his own boring, hot burger!

pster-

Good luck with your quest for help from DC. I wish you luck. However, I don't hold out much hope with all the cost cutting they've been doing as of late to improve their $$$$ figures for reporting purposes. Keep us posted. You know that I'm sitting on the edge of my seat for the "rest of the story"!! ;-)))

fastdriver
  • Options
    splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    I can understand the rational behind staying at a certain rating, but if someone will never drive over 100mph, then why does it make a difference if you have H or T rated? I know that a higher rated tire has stiffer sidewall - potentially better handling, etc... but if that isn't wanted, I can't see there being such a huge issue.
  • Options
    Like most other consumer liability litigation, a good attorney would have a field day with this. I agree that having an H or a V rated tire doesn't make a bit of difference if you're never going to go over 100mph; BUT, as mrl859 pointed out, if you did hit 131mph even for a second and a tire blew and say your passenger was hurt or worse, YOU would be liable because you put those H rated tires on when DC specified V. Only in America folks!
  • Options
    i would say that no matter what caused the accident, going over the posted speed limit would make the driver liable, reckless driving!!! i believe that the tire issue would never surface.
  • Options
    Prior to 1991, the most popular speed ratings were “S,” “H” and “V.” However, while the speed capabilities of S- and H-rated tires still indicate the same speeds as before, the V-speed rating has been modified. Previously a V-speed rated tire with the “V” branded “within” the tire size indicated that the tire was capable of 130+ miles per hour as indicated below:
    Miles/Hour Kilometers/Hour
    P225/50SR16 112 180
    P225/50HR16 130 210
    P225/50VR16 130+ 210+

Today’s new V-speed rated tires are always identified in the tires service description:
    Miles/Hour Kilometers/Hour
    P225/50R16 91V 149 240
  • Options
    no1trustno1trust Member Posts: 151
    According to articles on past JD Powers surveys on customer satisfaction w/dealer service, I believe Toyota (and Honda) scored in the basement of the top 20, even though the products themselves ranked high. If all else fails with your problem at DC, why not buy a reliable product w/a reported high customer satisfaction rating? You can get top quality service at Saturn, Lexus, Infiniti, Acura and the like w/o sacrificing reliability (though Lexus is part of Toyota, Lexus service is extremely good. Ditto Acura compared to Honda). We've been more than happy w/our certified Lexus & its customer service, though a 300M has been more fun. Anyway, all I'm saying is the world isn't just Toyota & Honda; there's lots of excellent alternatives w/much better service. Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    Curious, the second dealer service department that looked at my 300M could find no a/c leak. They flushed the freon and recharged the system with freon dye - I'll have to go back next week. I hate to be a cynic, but I don't think they really inspected it (the first dealer also injected freon dye). They had my car a day and half and I called twice to see if they had looked at it yet. At 5:30 p.m. the second day they called to say they had just inspected the car. I am convinced they didn't even look for a leak, they just recharged it to get it back to me to avoid yet another overnight stay and negative customer feedback rating! I have never seen people so concerned about their Chrysler feedback when the problem wasn't fixed! It cost me $157 for the inspection and recharge, which I'll have to pay AGAIN next week! CRIKEY! Can you ever get a problem fixed?!?!?!?!?!?! I'm thinking that since I have the a/c working, at least for a few days, maybe I can trade it in this weekend. 2 1/2 days in the shop now and still no resolution.
  • Options
    CamcruzrCamcruzr Member Posts: 13
    Thanks for all your inputs, they will help me make a decision.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    Got a nice complement on my car today. A guy at dunkin donuts came over and mentioned what an awesome car I have. Said the car had real style and that it was his favorite car. If I let my car get dirty, no one seems to notice it as much. But when I have it shining and especially when the wheels are glistening like mirrors , the complements start to flow..

And a buddy of mine sees the car all the time and often it's fairly dirty, especially the wheels. I did a full sponge cleaning and proper drying with cotton towels and even with out any wax on it the car glows and the wheels shine like mirrors. The next day my buddy says to me: "did you buy some new wheels?" Those razorstar are super looking wheels especially when properly cleaned and dried
  • Options
    If you're car is no longer under warranty, why do you keep taking it to Chrysler dealers to fix or check out the A/C?

We have a bunch of local mechanics in our area that I fully trust with my M. I do have an extended warranty and if there's a problem that I think will be covered, then I'll go to my local 5 star. But for other things like brakes, shocks, etc, I go to an independent mechanic instead. Once the warranty runs out, I'll be going to them for everything.

Before I had my M, I had a 1988 Z24 with over 120,000 miles on it. The power steering was leaking fluid and I just keep adding more. I got tired of that so I took it to a Chevy dealer thinking that they'd do the best job fixing it. Well, they gave me an estimate of almost $700. Said they had to change all the lines for the power steering. I said thanks, but no thanks. I then went to a local mechanic who was recommended. He looked at the car, had it for half a day and had it fixed. Cost....$90. He changed only the section that was bad. After that, the power steering was fine and I always went to him for repairs.

Good mechanics are like good doctors. They're hard to find but are well worth it once you do.

-vman
  • Options
    Everything went perfectly with the installation of my dual exhaust......until......I checked out some photos of other M duals that were installed. To my horror I noticed that the Dynomax muffler was installed backwards!!!

On one side of the muffler, there's two holes. One is inlet and one is outlet. The muffler guy installed the muffler upside down so the inlet is now the outlet and the outlet is the inlet. Uhg.

Before I got too upset, I decided to call Dynomax and see if it was a big deal. Well, according to them it isn't recommended. It won't harm the engine, but I won't get the benefit of the reduced exhaust flow. It will have extra back pressure which I don't need.

So I called the muffler guy and he was surprised. I guess most mufflers he installs can go on in either direction. He said to bring it back and he'll switch it around. Unfortunately, he'll have to make the custom pipes and welding again, but this guy is real good in that department. I'm gonna get it done on Thursday so everything should be back to normal with me again. Well, as normal as I can get, that is.

Also, I posted the installation photos online for your enjoyment. You'll notice how the Dynomax is backwards on some of the photos. Don't let that happen to you.

Check them out at http://www.fastforwardclub.com/300M/Dual-exhaust/

-vman

• Options
    I don't go to the Chrysler dealer service departments for wheel rotations, alignments, batteries or any other what I would call "maintenance" items. I change the oil myself. I take the 300M to the dealer only when I suspect a major problem and possible need for a higher cost part - like when the tranny lost first gear (this was NOT the limp mode, the hydraulic pump failed) and the window motors failed. The other reason I use the local Chrysler dealer is simply one of convenience - their service departments are open until 11:00 p.m.
  • Options
    fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    I feel for you man. I'm sorry you are having these problems, but sounds like you are just bending over & taking it. Stand up to them man!! You think the first dealer didn't do anything, & they didn't fix your car, do something about it! The dealers no matter if a 5 star or not, no matter if they are nice or not, will ALWAYS take you for a ride if you don't say something. The dealers have to know, you KNOW what's up.
  • Options
    underbloomunderbloom Member Posts: 9
    I installed duals a while ago (and they're swell), but I wanted to pose an alternate scenario to get feedback from the board:
    My oldschool Mopar Dad is suggesting that what I should have done is remove the collector altogether and replace it with a custom y pipe - 2.25" inlets from the cats to, say, 3" out from there back to the muffler. He says he saw an Intrepid come into his shop this way, and that, although loud, it "sounded good"...
    What do you guys think of this?