Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler 300M

Comments

• Options
    bluesky999bluesky999 Member Posts: 253
    So, a big 5.7 liter v8 with 340 something hp and 360 something lb-ft., as per autoweek article. Does anyone know the advantages or disadvantages of a hemi vs. non-hemi? Does the term "hemi" refer to hemispherical combustion chamber, formed by rounding the head? To be truthful, those are not tremendous numbers of hp and torque when considering the huge displacement (5.7). I wonder if it will be a gas-hog. Gemerally, mainstream customers are finding a v6 to be a good middle point with decent power and decent fuel economy. A 5.7 liter v8 might be overkill if it can pass anything on the road except a gas station... Just my 2 cents.
  • Options
    kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    Huge displacement???? 5.7 litres is about 350 cubes so that engine is putting out nearly 1hp per litre with dual plugs as the only obvious trick.
    6.5 litres is big, about 400 cubes.
    The Viper is 488 cubes or 8 litres and 450 HP. The new one will be 500 cubes or 8.2 litres and 500hp output. Both those are huge.
    So for a volume production engine by comparison it sounds pretty good to me.

Heck my Special is only averaging about 20 mpg on the highway (driving 75 ;) of course) but then again my Jeep with a 4.7 is getting 15 - 17 mpg under the same conditions. So I don't see any big advantage to the V6 when I factor in the weight aerodynamic, and drivetrain disadvantage the Jeep has. That's 253hp vs 225hp for the V8. And the Jeep definitely accelerates better initially from a standing start than the M does.
    All that taken into consideration it looks to me like that 4.7 would do BETTER in the M on fuel economy than the 3.5 does and likely the 5.7 will be the same as the 3.5 but with more horsepower and torque to show for it.
  • Options
    kosh_2258kosh_2258 Member Posts: 338
    At least DC is smart enough to take the precaution voluntarily.
    Ford is in total denial about the Crown Vic fuel tank problem (can we say Pinto II?). They'll end up regretting that.
  • Options
    splattsplatt Member Posts: 328
    Kosh - excellent point. The first comment seemed like they were recalling all of the cars :D Cars frequently have a recall of one sort or another, and the fact that they are doing it voluntarily, says a lot. I've had several cars where they've had to have it in for one or more recalls.

Well - I'll see everyone in a week or so - unless they have internet access on the cruise ;) Have a good week all and those of you going to Brampton - get me some pics! :-D please....
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    I have e-mailed the Dream Cruise Schedule to everyone for whom I have an e-mail address.
    If you are going, and did not receive the schedule, please e-mail me at RussKlass@aol.com and I will send it to you.
    ONLY 1 MORE WEEK!
  • Options
    fastdriverfastdriver Member Posts: 2,273
    splatt-

According to ABC News last night, they are recalling every PT Cruiser made.

fastdriver
  • Options
    urbanapurbanap Member Posts: 2
    To: rogor2k and eveyone else who responded to my question mucho thanks. I now have the info I needed. urbanap
  • Options
    jab02lhsjab02lhs Member Posts: 122
    definitely go to it! It was here in Cleveland two years ago and will be back here in Sept. Both my son and I are already signed up for another day of fun.
    Be sure to sign up for all three rides, Chrysler, Dodge, and Jeep.
    The Jeep is probably the most fun, especially if you have never been of road. The build an off road course in a field with a pit deep enough to bury a Grand Cherokee and pile the dirt next to the pit. So it's down into the pit and up over the hill. They have a road of telephone poles to drive over and some 45 degree incline turns to go around. You have a college kid with you and can take a friend in the car also. They will tell you to keep it in first gear and under 2000 rpm but I kept it up around 4000 rpm and the kid just kept threatening to end the ride but didn't"t. My son asked him if anyone had rolled one on the course and he said no. So, I just looked at him with a big grin a asked if he would like to be be the first. The don't know you so the don't know if you are kidding or not :>)

Be sure to sign up you friend for the tour when you register.

The most fun things are:

The Jeep they have on a two wheel trailer that you have to balance on the trailers axle. It looks easy but everyone is rolling with laughter watching people shift there weight to try and get it balanced after they have it nearly centered by driving forward and reverse.

The Jeep with the steering box reversed so when you turn the steering wheel one way the Jeep goes the other direction. They have an obstacle course to drive it on and just when you get it figured out you screw up.

Figure on spending 4 to 5 hrs there. The provide bottle water and pop or as you westerners call soda, but that's another story.
  • Options
    guesswho1guesswho1 Member Posts: 209
    they don't have Coke??? :)

i went to that here in ATL the jeep part was a lot of fun.
  • Options
    300michael300michael Member Posts: 1,815
    Thanks for all the information. I signed up two other people (they do not know it yet) so it should be interesting.
  • Options
    The only reason they would take 15 min. is because they will spend 10 of them driving your car around if it is really cool. I have seen them drive my car the "long" way, when I was there to pick it up. Although to cut down on there fun I usually disconnect the audio/vidio systems.
  • Options
    laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,734
    Frequent reader, occasional poster (although one of the early members of this forum) '99 (6/99) 300M owner here. Washed the Platinum Bullet today, lookin' good (except for the key marks I got yesterday, fairly mild. I do, however, believe the death penalty to be appropriate for this type of crime...)as always. Man, when the sun hits the Platinum Metallic paint, it's just beeyooteeful!

I've got 38,000 miles: two window motors and one tranny speed sensor to my (now expired) warranty credit. Other than that, just a lovely automobile.

Pster: my sympathies on the $ you've had to spend post warranty. This is my fear, out of warranty big ticket repairs. I hope to get another couple of years and at least 60,000 trouble-free miles out of my M. Of course, if the stock market and economy don't pick up, my M may be my daughter's first car when she's 16 (she's 6!).

SDMike: congrats on the new job. I've been trying the lottery/win & retire trick for the past decade. I'm accumulating a Boston Red Sox-like record for futility in that arena!

DocP: Good luck in the search for your next opportunity. I was "right-sized" back in '96, changed careers and began a semi-successful second career starting in '97. Stay positive, enjoy your (hopefully brief?) freedom from the 9 to 5 and best wishes for a successful resolution to your wife's medical issues.

fastdriver: My friends from Wilton spent last Saturday night at the Mohegan Sun hotel. $300/night, but they were upgraded to a $700 room! Not that they spent much time there. They played blackjack ($25 table, much too rich for my blood!). She lost a little, he won a lot. I'm still (self-imposed) personna non grata there as, much like the stock market, Lady Luck has turned violently against me!

However, in what is truly important in this short life, my family, friends and 300M are all well as I hope all of you and your's are or shortly will be...

And, tonight begins the Patriots drive to repeat the JOY of last year's glorious (and ridiculous!) Super Bowl season. Go Pats!

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    laurasdada-

Glad the "Platinum Bullet " is holding up for you. At least you made one winner! ;-)) Sorry to hear about the key marks!

I still haven't seen the new addition at MS. Before the end of this month I'm going to Zaino the CL-S that I haven't done since last March and get to MS before the snow flies!

As for your friends from Wilton, she could afford to lose AND you know what they say- money makes money! Never fails. Living in that part of CT, I'd say they can afford a lose or two. Hey, it's the big spenders that keep those millions coming in to the state coffers every month from the Indians. Good thing or our state income tax would be 10 times what it is now! I have NO clue where that money goes or what they're doing with it. They're crying poor mouth all the time- like right now. I guess the more you make, the more you spend! What other answer is there, unless some pockets are very full!

Keep that 300 going. Glad she turned out good for you. The CL-S is 17 months old now, about 17,600+ miles and no warranty problems yet! How I hate this "perceived" reliability! So boring. Nothing breaks, falls off or leaks. The CL-S topic here is DEAD!!

fastdriver

PS Thought you might be going to the dream cruise and facory tour with the other 300Mer's here. Sounds like a great trip. Can't wait to see the pics.
  • Options
    No "perceived" reliabilty with Honda's et.al. in my mind. My family has owned Honda's, Acura's and Mitsubishi's and I can't ever recall any reliability or build quality issues at all. I personally owned an Acura Integra and Mitsu Turbo, both poifect! My only complaint with Honda/Acura is in the exterior styling arena(too bland imho): if H/A had Chryler-like styling I would never have to look anywhere else!

No dream cruise for me. We're off to New Hampster for vacation. And sorry, but living in Massachusettes, it is hard for me to sympathize with taxes in CT! The property taxes in my little South Suburban Boston town are positively Wilton-ish (or worse!) I'm sure...

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• Options
    laurasdada-

I agree with you. It's the people who DON'T own them who think their reliabilty is the same as any other car! LOL... You are right- Chrysler styling(some models) with the Japanese "perceived" reliability- WHAT A HIT that would be!

Mmmmm....... take a look here http://www.state.ct.us/ecd/research/ceis/taxes/millrate.html

I'm a little PO'd! Wilton's tax rate is LOWER then where I live! How can that possibly be? I just looked again. Greenwich's tax rate is still lower!! I have to look into this nonsense. Like I said- money makes money. The ones who can least afford it, pay the most and those that can REALLY afford it, pay the least! "Ain't" life grand! Well, I have plenty of time now that I don't have to call Chrysler all the time to check on this. I also want to check to see why we do NOT get an extra insurance discount for having LOJACK on our cars when over 85% of the state is equipped to handle LOJACK'S signal!

fastdriver

• Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    "The CL-S topic here is DEAD!!"

That's really a shame.
  • Options
    psterpster Member Posts: 293
    Well, I've been driving the Mster for three days now with the A/C pumping away and it seems to be working fine. I'm not sure what kind of pressure the A/C system is under, but I have to believe this is a very slow leak. Maybe it will take another 3 years to empty? I'm undecided if I am going to take it back to the dealer next week. I have two questions if anyone knows the answer:

(1) What is the working pressure of the A/C system, and
    (2) Will the dye they put into the system still show up in weeks or months if there is a very, very slow leak or does it become nuetralized?

Phil
  • Options
    fuzzywuzzyfuzzywuzzy Member Posts: 958
    Is it? I never go to the edmunds CL-S topics. I'm at 12,500 miles in 8 months, & all is good.
  • Options
    Folks, I know this isn't exactly a 300M question, but it's close, and it's from a 300M owner. I changed the oil today in my wife's new 2002 Sebring 2.7 V6. Used the same oil and filter I used last time. Double checked and the oil level is perfect. But....when I started the car after the oil change, the engine warning light came on! What gives! Changing the oil on the Sebring is really easy and it uses the same filter as the 300M (MOBIL M1-204) - I double checked with AutoZone and its the same one I used for the last trouble free change. ???????Any Ideas?

Phil
  • Options
    Don't forget the other half of the property tax formula: valuations. Fairfield County valuations are rather high (I'm actually a native of Westport), allowing a lower mil rate to still net a large gross tax revenue. Also, how much commercial/industrial property is there to support the budget requirements? In my town, there is virtually no commercial tax base, therefore us lucky residential property owners get to bear the brunt of the tax burden. It is, however, a lovely town...made that much lovelier by my clean & shiny 300M (with the sparkling chrome Razorstars!). That should allow this post to remain on topic!

Remember, if you're a little short on cash, just head to Uncasville where the winnin' is easy! Not for me, however... ;-) or is it :-( ?!

• Options
    denverm-

Yep. Nothing to complain about! All the "modsters" are over in acura-cl.com not here. I'm sure that's where you'd like me to go too. I do, but I always return HOME! ;-)))))))

laurasdada-

LOL... forgot about that part of the equation! That's why I'm not in the business sector. You're right about the M and those chrome razorstars making it a nicer place to live. ;-)))

Have you seen graphicguy's new PT Cruiser Turbo in Red? He gave his red 300M to his wife because she was in the market for a new car. Her Toyota Avalon, about 109,000 miles, was beginning to fall apart. He was a little disappointed because other cars he's owned in this foreign category usually didn't start falling apart until 150,000 miles! She hated the way the salespeople were treating her, so she told her husband she liked HIS car! The rest is history. His Cruiser looks awesome in red, especially with the Zaino treatment he just gave it. He was lucky that his Cruiser was one of the few not involved with the recall for the possible gas leak.

fastdriver
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    A/C systems usually have a high side pressure in the range of 150 psi.
    Did the oil light come on and stay on in the Sebring, or just come on for a few seconds and then shut off as soon as oil pressure came up?
  • Options
    did you fill the oil filter with oil before installing it? This can cause the light to go on for a short time. It will also lower the oil level. The engine should use almost 5 qts of oil. I use a larger filter. So 5 qts is just right for my M. Last but not least check the drain plug, LOL.
  • Options
    Most of the shop techs say that if the switch is diffective it sends multipul signals to the BCM. In a since burns out the circutry. Buy moving the reiostat (up and down a few them then to full brightness to full brightness it can remove the carbon that gets built up on the switch contacts.
  • Options
    Thansk mrl859f or the oil pressure info. On the Sebring the oil pressure light comes on briefly then goes off, as normal. It's the little light in the shape of an engine that stays on. I didn't fill the filter before I put it on. Should I have?
  • Options
    denvermdenverm Member Posts: 358
    Hmmm, I've never put oil into a new filter before installing it, on any car I've owned. After changing oil I do start the car to fill the filter that way, then check the oil level again, but I've never had a problem result from putting a new, empty filter on.
  • Options
    I have always put oil in the oil filter before installing it that way the oil gets to the engine faster. It always made since to me.
  • Options
    The picture of the New Yorker sure looks like the Chrysler 300N to me. The front of the car is the Chrysler 300 HemiC except fot the fog lamps in the front. I like the current (300M) styling better. I would be really surpized of thay car truns out to be the New Yorker.
  • Options
    I will do the others in the next two days. Using a nylon sandwitch spreader the removeal goes really fast. It takes about 20 minuets to remove the trim and residue off the door. Too bad I like the look better, if it weren't for the door dings I would surely get. I plan to install new molding about 5" higher then the orginals. I really needed to do this since I lowered the car. The stock location trim was just too low to begin with.
  • Options
    When you go can you ask the following questions?
    1. Do they allow "Meets" there, as in 300M Meets?
    2. Are you allowed to drive your own personal vehicle on the test track?
    The above questions are to anyone attending the Chrysler Route 2002, the Dodge Route 2002, or the Jeep Route 2002. I do not think you need to ask the second question for the Jeep Route 2002.
    Thanks
  • Options
    mrl859mrl859 Member Posts: 168
    That is the MIL (Malfunction Indicator Light) or "check engine light". It should be yellow (amber), not red. That means the computer is seeing something outside of it's normal parameters. Check everywhere your hands were and make sure you didn't leave/knock any connectors loose. If not, it's into the dealer you go. It does not come on to remind you of maintenance needed. It indicates a problem. It is NOT a dangerous situation, nor will your engine blow up. Please consult the owner's manual for a more politcally correct explanation. This light has nothing to do with oil pressure or level. BTW, I've never pre-filled my oil filters for what it's worth.
  • Options
    srushingsrushing Member Posts: 38
    Hi guys, I posted a couple weeks ago that I was looking at a 300M and wanted feedback on what people thought of their car. Well, that 1999 model deal didnt work out but I'm going to test drive a 2000 model today, w/ sunroof and 28K miles. The dealer's asking $19995. From what I found on the net at other dealers, that doesn't seem like a bad price. I've looked around the car after the dealership was closed and it looks to be in good shape. I'm in the Carolinas, but was wondering what others are seeing 2000 models for and if that seems to be a decent price. Also are there any things on the 2000 I should check out that were trouble spots?

Thanks
    Scott
  • Options
    Yes, the engine warning light I think is yellow. The only other thing I did after I changed the oil was to top off the windshield wiper fluid reservoir. The dealer said to check the gas tank filler cap - sometimes if it is loose and not screwed on corrctly the light can come on. I checked it and its fine and light still comes on. I even checked to make sure the oil filler cap was screwed on correctly. I didn't touch anything else. I swear. Taking the car to a second 5* dealer tomorrow that I prefer over the one that sold the car to me. BTW, the 300M's a/c is still working fine after 4 hours on the road yesterday and 20 miles to work this morning. I really appreciate your great advice and info! Phil
  • Options
    There are a couple of things that can cause this.

First is the the PCM (Power Control Module)is not communicating with the Instrument cluster. Bad PCM or loose connection. Check the connection. It is the module between the PDC (were the fuses are) and the Speed contol Servo (just to the left of the washer filler cap.

Second is trouble engine code(s).

Third is defective Instrument Cluster. The only option is replacement.

It should be quick tests (4) for the dealer. I wish they would sell those DRBIII's.

Check for #1 since you were working in this area.
  • Options
    easyrider300measyrider300m Member Posts: 1,116
    is the pcm the same as the bcm (body control module)..thats what they ordered for my light show blink dash light problem---although from what I hear, its often the switch---
  • Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    No I think the PCM, and BCM are different computers programmed to handle different functions. The PCM is for powertrain (engine) control, while the BCM handles the gauges, lights, alarm system and other body related items. Lastly, the TCM controls the tranny.
  • Options
    sdmike2-

How's the new job? Do you have to drive BigRed far to get there?

fastdriver
  • Options
    ottowrkrottowrkr Member Posts: 778
    Ok its only days away , who's all coming to Detroit and Brampton. Lets see a show of hands
  • Options
    Boss only gave me a four day weekend. I sure wish they had Transporter pads that could handle my M. Beam me up Scotty.
  • Options
    99_300m_ric_va99_300m_ric_va Member Posts: 377
    ottowrkr, I'll be there.
  • Options
    videoman1videoman1 Member Posts: 201
    Count me in :)

-vman
  • Options
    rstilprstilp Member Posts: 105
    I'll be there along with another M from South Bend IN
    Rick/Geezer300M
  • Options
    bigmike5bigmike5 Member Posts: 960
    Otto- Will be there, with a couple of new mods, as yet undisclosed to the general public. One I am not sure I will stay with, want to hear what the crowd thinks when they see it. My wife has been blind folded, bound, and gagged, so she will be accompanying me for the entire trip,whether she wants to or not.

Tires--On the 255s, I would chalk the inside edge of the tire and then turn it all the way toward the fire wall and spin it to see if it rubs on the schroud where the tie rod goes thru. I think I got some damage that way from my 245/50-17s, which are not as wide as what you are considering.

Gout--Facing a week of major walking at the Cruise and plant tour and my gout had a flare up on Sunday. Out of work Monday, and in to work this a.m. I hope the medicine causes a remission before Friday. Damn,it hurts. Hey Roger, I may need a scooter!!
  • Options
    grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    I've been running 255's for just short of 60k miles with no problems whatsoever. Specifically, I have 255/45 18 tires on 18x8 rims. When I first bought the wheels, I had a choice of three tires. A few months ago when I bought my third set, I had 15 to choose from.

I initially ran Dunlop SP9000. They were very good for dry traction and superb in the wet, and I was able to get about 25k miles on a set. I now have Yokohama AVSdb, which are quieter, have a better tread life rating, and are about $30 a tire cheaper. They seem to be nearly as good in the rain as well.

Igor
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    Revised schedule e-mailed to everyone. If you dedn't get it, e-mail me at RussKlass@aol.com and I will send it to you.
    Otto...you guys going to join us for dinner Saturday and/or Sunday?
  • Options
    300kam300kam Member Posts: 29
    Thank you for your info. 255/45/18 Yokohama AVSdb is exactly the tire I was quoted. Did you lower your car? I have no plan to lower the M now, just to replace the wheels and tires. They quote me 18x8.5 wheels, does it matter? Should I look for 18x8 instead?
  • Options
    grunschevgrunschev Member Posts: 106
    My car is lowered with the Eibach pro-kit, which I understand has been discontinued. I don't think the wider wheel will be a problem, but can't say for sure. A 255 is a 255 whether it is mounted on an 8" rim or an 8.5". But then you get into questions of offset...

Igor

PS Are you in Phoenix? If so, drop me a line at grunschev@yahoo.com
  • Options
    silverbullet4silverbullet4 Member Posts: 449
    Has anyone had a serpentine belt fail yet? My wife's '93 Grand Voyager breaks one about every year, the latest today. One may have been caused by a bad tensioner pulley, but this frequency of failure on a vehicle driven with below average miles each year seems odd.

Silver