Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see May lease deals!
Options

Honda Odyssey Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• Options
    brudybrudy Member Posts: 2
    thanks for the response. maybe it's my model (not top of the line), but it does not seem to have locking mechanism you mention. wish it did.
  • Options
    b_radb_rad Member Posts: 38
    Use the remote control from the RES (I do not have it in front of me to give you exact details) and go through the menu using that remote and you will find the AUX that you plugged the video game into. Select AUX and it should work.

Or just hand your 11 year old the remote and he will figure it out. At that age they know everything anyway.

(tibit) our neighbor also has an 05 Ody and they have already lost the remote from the RES. Dealer ordered a new one and it was over $300.00 she said.
  • Options
    b_radb_rad Member Posts: 38
    I think but not sure, but I think they just twist and pull up. And you unplug the wire.
    I saw one sitting on a workbench and that is what it looked like to me.
  • Options
    njhondanjhonda Member Posts: 8
    Want to drive to Fla from NJ and take two bikes. Roof carrier is too hard for me (over 65) but hitch idea with carrier that can be folded down for rear access sounds good. Have no hitch today. What is best idea and associated expense? Thanks
  • Options
    bcar2bcar2 Member Posts: 1
    I am also ready to go cross-country and need more room. Can anyone give instructions on how to temporarily remove the back seats of a 2005 Odyssey? Thanks
  • Options
    attilauyattilauy Member Posts: 32
    I am also thinking about removing the 2 back seats. Planning to buy things from home depot for home improvement. Don't know how to do it yet.

Maybe GC is right after all....with sto-and-go seats. It is big advantage during this time of our need for really huge trunk for bike, cabinets etc. Maybe next generation of ODY will have this. At this point however, other features of ODY still offset GC sto-and-go. I am still happy with my new ODY.
  • Options
    garygary Member Posts: 39
    I have a 2005 Oddy EXL-RES. As you know, 2 headphones are included. Before I let my 2 and 4 year olds destroy, that is, use the $75+ OEM units, I would like to purchase a couple pairs of aftermarket wireless headphones.

Has anyone ever tried using 'non-Honda' wireless headphones with the factory installed RES? I heard some RCA infra-reds work. There are also UHF models as well.

Please advise with the exact make and model of an aftermarket unit. Thanks in advance!!
  • Options
    mhbach97mhbach97 Member Posts: 1
    Just purchased a 2005 Odyssey EX-L w/ NAV and RES. We bought the cargo tray, which we have installed in the well behind the 3rd row seat. We are interested in getting the cargo board as well and are looking for some feedback/answers to some questions:
    1) Has anyone installed the cargo board over top of the cargo tray? The accessories guide says it is not compatible with the cargo "mat," but that doesn't even make any sense because you would only use the cargo mat when the 3rd row is folded down anyway. Anyway, I would hate to buy the cargo board and find that it won't fit in the storage well with the cargo tray in there already.

2) For people that have the cargo board, do you like it?

3) How much weight does it hold? Haven't been able to find this info anywhere?

Thanks.
  • Options
    zz05odyzz05ody Member Posts: 3
    After installing a Hidden Hitch trailer hitch this weekend, I tried to connect a Draw-Tite 4 wire harness. The '05 Odyssey owner's manual states that their is a wiring connection behind the right side panel in the cargo area. Does anyone know if I can make this harness work, or do I need to purchase and install the $120 Honda harness by removing the rear bumper? This part was only $15.
    Thanks
  • Options
    b_rad,
    Please tell give me the link to the best price you found for the '05 Odyssey wiring harness including shipping (for $120).
    Thanks,
  • Options
    baranisbaranis Member Posts: 9
    I am also looking for these....the closest place I have found so far is - - - http://honda.autowebaccessories.com/store/honda-odyssey-accessories-cat24_35.php

I don't see the headphones, but I ahve a question into them. I will let you know what I find.
  • Options
    chipperwchipperw Member Posts: 2
    You said you just installed the hitch - how do you lower the exhaust pipe? Can't figure out how to get the rubber bushing/hanger off.
    It's been way to long since I've worked on cars!
    Thanks!
  • Options
    ramcfallramcfall Member Posts: 10
    I bought a pair if RCA wireles headphones for my 05 Odyssey a about three months ago-found them on e-bay. I think they were $15.00 each. They are heavier than the OEM headphones but work just fine. Not al RCA headphones will work--they have to matchHonda's transmission frequency. Search "Honda Odyssey wireless headphones".
  • Options
    rshtrsht Member Posts: 277
    Rick,

Just wondering if you have already installed your lower Odyssey Grille from Mr. Grille? If yes, can you share you rinstallation experience with us? What did it take to install the lower grille, if you had to remove/cut any part of the front bumper and if you had to mod front license plate bracket (as described on Mr. Grille's web site)? Thank you in advance for your inputs!

Rick
  • Options
    Since the exhaust bracket is welded to the frame, I simply sprayed some WD-40 on the rubber bushing to help loosen it from the bracket and then you slip the bushing off.
  • Options
    jjtrindcjjtrindc Member Posts: 24
    Rick -

Most report that installing the Mr. Grille is a fairly easy process. Install time is between 2-4 hours. Some take a longer amount of time, some shorter. I admittedly went to a body shop to do mine because I was pulling out of town on a road trip and ran out of time. You have to pop off the upper grill...but you do not have to remove/cut any part of the front bumper. You do have to modify the grille to fit the front license plate bracket. If you request in your order, Mr. Grille will do it. The make a long rectangular cut. Some don't care for the look. It didn't bother me. Others make exact notches with a hacksaw blade. If you e-mail me I can point you to lots of user input on installation.
  • Options
    baranisbaranis Member Posts: 9
    http://honda.autowebaccessories.com/store/odyssey-res-headphones-prod24_670_12391.php

These are for the 2005.....they are $60. Hope this helps.
  • Options
    arvintharvinth Member Posts: 9
    I have EX - cloth, is it possible to remove off the 2nd row totally out of the vehicle??...Has anyone tried it?.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Yes - the instructions are in your manual.

Quick and dirty - Fold seat back forward. Slide seat forward. Release seat using pull by floor at rear of seat. Tilt and lift.

Hmm - are you talking 2nd row captain's chairs or 3rd row magic seat? The above is for the 2nd row.
  • Options
    dilbertzzzdilbertzzz Member Posts: 190
    Amazing things, those manuals. Still, they seem to be the last place anyone thinks to look for the answer, eh? :confuse:
  • Options
    sjvsjv Member Posts: 14
    Having received no feedback from the numerous Odyssey owners on this forum, I've answered my own questions....thanks :P

1. Yes
    2. No
    3. Probably Terk
  • Options
    Why would you want to do that? Just fold it down into the floor well and make a long flat floor. Wife & I took an 11 week, 11,000+ miles road trip in our then 2001 Odyssey to Alaska. We now have a new 2005 Ody (3 weeks). We folded down the rear seat into the floor well and removed the middle Captain's chair seats and left them home in the garage. If you must carry 4 on your trip then your out of luck on that one but if 3 are going, you could remove one of the passenger middle seats and keep one in place. We then packed the car with 3 months of clothes and plugged in an Igloo 12v. cooler chest in the rear (available at Sam's Club) and had the trip of a lifetime. Louisiana, Texas, New Mexico, Colorado, Wyoming, Montana, Alberta, British Columbia, Alaska, Washington, Oregon, California, Nevada, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana. 11 weeks to the day! :D
  • Options
    drigodrigo Member Posts: 9
    I am planning to replace my stock Low beam headlight bulb with PIAA Xtreme White Plus .

I have checked the manual for what type of replacement bulb was for ODY 2005 EXL it said HB 4.

I've also went to my nearest Honda dealer and checked their for sale replacement bulb and I saw a Nokya H4 when we compared it to the original replacement bulb the housing is different.

My question, is HB 4 diferrent from H4... Does anyone know al website or a chart for different headlight bulb so I will know what are H4 bulb ,H3 HB4 etc.. I searched the web for headlight bulbs and different manufacturers have different coding for their bulb types.(.i.e..H4= 9004 of a different brand..)

Thank you and more power
  • Options
    drigodrigo Member Posts: 9
    Does anyone knows any good and reliable and cheap E store or website that sells PIAA headlight bulbs. :blush:

Also are PIAA, Raybrig,Polard, Nokya etc.. that has a power wattage Output: 12V 55/60W = 100/110W (4000K) .OK for ODY headlight housing coz recently I realized that tha 2005 ODY headlight is made of plastic ?
  • Options
    Thanks to all of your discussions and ideas around adding a low grille for the 2005 Odyssey; I managed to cut a left over vinyl Rain Gutter Cover to fit over the lower opening, with cable ties to secure it in place. It looks and works pretty good.
    If you are interested in taking a look, you are welcome to e-mail me so I can send you a snap shot of it... I figured that I'd try to make one (for $1.99 & a hour of cutting and installing) before I order one from the professionals.
  • Options
    macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Great! Congrats!

That's creativity at work for you! You must feel great looking at your results!
  • Options
    Rick, I'd love to take a look but when I tried to email you for a snapshot, your profile comes up with Email: private. Therefore, I can't email you for a picture of your grill work :confuse: :cry:
  • Options
    sjv,

Sorry about that. I just updated my profile and you should be able to see my e-mail address via my profile now.

Rick
  • Options
    vince_lmtvince_lmt Member Posts: 25
    My daughter has a new '05 Odyssey. We are following the directions in the owner's manual but it won't sync with her 2 year old Sears opener that uses the rolling code technology.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Vince
  • Options
    aaaaaahaaaaaah Member Posts: 7
    vince_lmt: keep trying. It took 2 attempts before mine worked with my Genie with rolling code. It was confusing at first which button to press inside the Genie while standing on a ladder in the garage, because the Genie manual diagrams were terrible. But I clarefully followed the steps in the Ody manual for programming...

Oh, and after programming, I have to hold the button (I picked the third button) in the Ody for about 1 second before the door opens+closes, during which time the yellow light blinks. It was confusing at first because I thought that just quickly pressing it would open/close the door, but you have to hold it for about 1 sec.
  • Options
    aaaaaahaaaaaah Member Posts: 7
    Anyone know of a way to activate the rear camera while driving, or play movies and/or display AUX content on the nav screen?

There was a post earlier about a harness used to hack the nav screen to play DVDs but they poster didn't give a link. Anyone got a URL?

And how about MP3 players? There is the site below, but it doesn't work for Odys with nav. Anyone found something else?

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/densioni20hondar3.html
  • Options
    lincolnclincolnc Member Posts: 6
    I would like to buy a rooftop storage box/bag and wondering if WeatherTech RackSack soft top cargo carrier is a good one?
    For hard cover storage, I am considering the 'Thule Sidekick Roof Mount Cargo Box'. Anyone use it and how do you like it?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,612
    I have one. It works great. I had a Target special before that which broke a strap the first time I used it. The weathertech seems to be very durable, and easy to install.

I have not used it on the Odyssey yet though (we use it to go to the beach in the summer). Our quest had cross bars that I hooked the straps too, but the Ody just has the side rails. I should be able to hook up to just the side rails and I doubt it will go anywhere, but I haven't tried it yet.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    lincolnclincolnc Member Posts: 6
    Hi Stickguy....I had just ordered the Odyssey cross bars. The WeatherTech RackSack is not aerodynamic shape, and wondering if any sound or other problem if one drives at 85mph in the highway? Do I still have space to put a kayak beside the RackSack (or under it)? Thanks.
  • Options
    macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    You might hear wind noise, especially at high speeds!
  • Options
    I never drove over about 70 with it on, but don't recall any noticeable noise. Of course, I probably had the moonroof open, so who knows.

I hope it works well without the cross bars. I may have to give it a test run. But, the Ody has so much more interior room than the Quest did, I may not even need it!

• Options
    kingoffighterskingoffighters Member Posts: 10
    I am going to take delivery on a Ocean mist 05 EX Ody! Yay for me! I was wondering if anyone bought/use a minivan cover for their 05 Ody.... Thanks! :)
  • Options
    lincolnc,

You may want to consider using the Cross Bar as someone had mentioned earlier or something like a Lauggage Basket to keep things away from resting directly on the roof/Paint.

rsht
  • Options
    the racksac has a soft felt underside that shouldn't do any damage to the roof. When I had the cross bars, it still sat on the roof, between the cross bars, so it was effectively in a little box that kept it from sliding anywhere. Not that it moved at all once it was strapped down.

• Options
    Rick, I'm sorry but no email. This is what your profile shows as of 7/10/05.

Profile for rsht

User: rsht
    Email: private
    Last login on: July 09, 2005

Name: Rick
    Vehicle #1: 2005 Honda Odyssey
    Vehicle #2: 2000 Toyota Land Cruiser
    Bio: I love cars. I do my own maintenance and minor repairs.
  • Options
    ralph8ralph8 Member Posts: 1
    slightly different subject. I have an 05 ex odyssey my outside temp reading is appx 12 to 15 degrees high when the outside temp is around 90. ( 74 to 78 degrees.) any one know if this "norman for the odyssey" Dealer seems to say the reading is only an approxmate one. any one seen this??? ralph8
  • Options
    sjv,

A number of people had already e-mail'd me from this forum about getting a picture of my home made grille. Sorry, you are having trouble, please try it again. I have checked a couple of times and each time I was able to see my e-mail address displayed okay. Any way my e-mail address is "rsht@yahoo.com"
  • Options
    Its my opinion, an "approximate" reading should be just a couple of degrees off, not by 12-15 degrees.... Hack, I think I can get a better approximation by just roll down my window and let my fingers do the test. You should take it back to the dealership to have it calibrated (if at all possible)... Good Luck!
  • Options
    dispencer1dispencer1 Member Posts: 489
    My daughter just purchased a new 2005 EX-L Odyssey. This $34,000 car has the Navigation system but no trip computer. The cheapest Malibu comes with one standard and so does everything else in Odyssey's price range. Can the trip computer that comes on the Touring model be retrofitted on the EX-L?
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    With the right amount of time/money, anything can be done. I've not seen this option swapped though. The MID (trip computer i guess....) also controls a lot of features on the Touring that either aren't available, or aren't able to be controlled on the EX.

I also think Honda has a bit of a warped idea of what makes something a "luxury" item. GM is probably not the best comparison though, because they offer a lot of standard features on low-buck models that others brands don't offer or only include in higher-end models. Of course, I guess you could seriously argue that an EX-L is hardly a low-buck model :P

The upside (or downside depending on where you stand) is that all of this is fairly obvious when shopping. I was a bit dismayed by the lack of features, but the van is soooo much better than anything else I was able to live without or workaround. My biggest gripe is with the headlamps not being fully automatic (which I knew) but even the semi-automatic ones on the EX operate in an asinine fashion.
  • Options
    rsblaskirsblaski Member Posts: 68
    Sorry for the delay, but we just got back from our 6,000+ mile odyssey (snicker) from Nevada to Wisconsin to Florida and back to Nevada.
    I ordered the grille insert from Mr. Grille and had it sent two day UPS to our friends in Wisconsin. When we got there, we (Meaning my friend) used his dremel tool to cut two small slots for the license plate bracket in the insert. The insert then neatly slid into place.
    The only real problem we had was tying down the far left and right corners.
    It seems to me that the radius was off a little bit so we had to tie off the ends from the outside while one of us pushed it into place. It occurred to me later that it may have made a difference if we had done the ends first. Maybe the center would have just bowed out.(?)
    In any event, the install went pretty smoothly with the two of us. I am glad I had my friend's help as this was definately a two person job.
    To gain access to the lower grille opening, the top grille is easily removed by popping some expansion plugs from the shroud between the chrome grille and the radiator. You can then remove the top grille doing the same thing. I think we removed about 8-10 of these plugs. After careful study (staring at the damn thing) I discovered that to remove these plugs, you merely have to pry up the center with a screwdriver which decompresses the outer part of the plug which then easily lifts out.
    Total time to remove the shroud and grille was maybe 5 minutes after figuring out the theory of the plugs.
    I would highly recommend the Mr. Grille insert. It is surely cheap insurance against an $800 repair bill.
    :)
  • Options
    rosshenningrosshenning Member Posts: 2
    Just curious if the tweaters helped any? I'm also curious if anyone knows other than the speakers and the subwoofer if the Touring sound system is any different than the EX-L system? I read that the EX-L has 120Watts and the Touring has 360Watts, but I'm wondering if that is just the difference that the subwoofer adds to the overall system power. If the touring does have a more powerful amplifier, does anyone know about the possibility of changing out the EX-L amp with the more powerful touring amp?

When the sub is available in September, I plan to buy it, but I'm also anxious to get the rest of the system sounding better. This is the one area that I'm pretty dissappointed with the Odyssey. The stereo sounds fine at low volumes, but when I turn it up a little, the bass falls off, and the system sounds like it's whimping out with some sort of limiter.
  • Options
    jacksmom0902jacksmom0902 Member Posts: 3
    Does anyone have recommendations for floor mats to cover the Honda floor mats? I have a 2005 white Odyssey and with 2 small boys and a dog I'd really like to protect the interior as much as possible.

Thanks!
  • Options
    dly2dly2 Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone purchased a hitch from Suspension Connection in Utah? The one illustrated on their site for $115.95 sure seems nice. I just picked up my '05 EX yesterday and am searching for the items I need to outfit it. I'll choose Weathertech mats as I have used them in other trucks and know them to be a quality product. I'm looking forward to participating on this board as I have been most pleased with the assistence I have received in the past on boards dedicated to BMW and my unique motorhome the VIxen 21TD.
  • Options
    fbg1fbg1 Member Posts: 1
    sebring95,

Could you please suggest a google search that produces a link to the site
    that you mentioned? (i.e. the "other site that details everything more closely").

Thanks!
This discussion has been closed.