Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• Options
    vanhelpvanhelp Member Posts: 14
    Thanks, b rad for the info on the hitch and harness. Were the instructions for the hidden hitch and Honda harness clear and easy to follow? Do I need special tools? I am a woman who is fairly handy with putting together and taking apart things (my husband, bless him, is mechanically hopeless), but I've never worked on cars or done anything like install a hitch... Do you think I could do it?
  • Options
    b_radb_rad Member Posts: 38
    Here is the link for the instructions.
    http://handa-accessories.com/odyssey/05tow.pdf
    You can buy the Hidden-Hitch online several places for under $160 including shipping
    part # 70750
    The wiring harness is $120 including shipping (I can give you a link to the best price I found).
    It's a two person job to remove and reinstall the bumper. The hitch will also require two people but is very easy to install. The instructions will give you the bolt size needed to mount the hitch under the Ody as they do not come with the hitch. You will need to buy hardened bolts. Tell the auto parts place what you intend to use the bolts for and they will fix you up.
    The instructions on the wiring harness will make more since when you are actually installing the harness as the illustrations are a little crude. Be sure to use a little masking tape where you have to apply pressure for the trim and bumper clips to keep from scratching the area around them. It could turn into an all day project but you will save a lot of money and gain some personal satisfaction. Again the whole process is easy but time consuming when your doing it for the first time. I bet I could do it again in about 2 or 3 hours. You will only need your husbands assistance for 30 minutes during the entire process. A basic metric tool set is required along with some screwdrivers. The largest socket was 19mm for the hitch. Install the wiring harness first, reinstall the rear bumper and the hitch last.
  • Options
    lhall414lhall414 Member Posts: 1
    We, also, are trying to find out if the third seat of the Odyssey can fold down if you have a cargo board. If anyone knows, please share the info.
  • Options
    cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    You need to remove the cargo board in order to lower the seat into the floor.
  • Options
    shishirshishir Member Posts: 5
    Hi - did you get the Sony installed in the 05 Odyssey? Where did you get it done (Circuit City / Best Buy here said they cannot do it.)
  • Options
    oly44011oly44011 Member Posts: 11
    go to handaparts.com
    they have the mirror your looking for.
    click on the installation instructons to see what it will take.
  • Options
    dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    Yes, in the 05 Touring. I got it done at a small independent shop. But CC and BB carry the same model (only a bit more expensive).
  • Options
    chromekingchromeking Member Posts: 2
    I have a trailer that is 7 pin. Electric brakes and controller under dash needed to run brakes. On the 05 Odyssey, the trailer kit looks like it is 4 pin only. Does anyone know if Honda has the 7-pin solution like they have on the Ridgeline? Can't change the trailer for it fits 2 other vehicles that are 7-pin also. Thanks for helping.
  • Options
    vanhelpvanhelp Member Posts: 14
    Thanks, b rad, for your very informative reply to my question about installing the hitch! I greatly appreciate it. I think I'm ready to give it a try...
    On the subject of hitches, does anyone have a hitch-mounted cargo carrier that they'd recommend? We're looking at closed carriers that sit on a swing-away bar; seems like things would be more accessible than in a roof-mounted box, and drag would be reduced. Thanks.
  • Options
    coresellercoreseller Member Posts: 40
    What is the link for the wiring harness? Thanks.....Mark.
  • Options
    elfiebruelfiebru Member Posts: 1
    Dear, members .

I am looking for the VSS (Vehicle Speed Sensor)location or the cable color at the PCM. Or if is possible the cruise control location and the vss input cable that send the signal.

I am trying to connect a taxi meter on it.

at.,

EL Fiebru....
  • Options
    Do you need the 7 pin due to electric brakes? If so, you will need to have a brake controller installed. If not, just make an adapter so you can plug into the 4 pin with a short pig-tail running to a female 7 pin. Pretty simple and that way you don't have to butcher the honda harness.

I would just cut the flat plug off and hard wire a new 7 pin plug if it were me if electric brakes were not an issue.
  • Options
    brownjbrownj Member Posts: 3
    I would like to circumvent the safety feature on my 2004 Odyssey which prevents the motorized sliding doors from opening unless the gear shift is in park. I saw a detailed description of how to do this with a 2002 Odyssey but not a 2004. My youngest child is 14 now. I don't really need the safety feature and it is such a nuisance!
  • Options
    rmillsrmills Member Posts: 4
    I am in the market for a new Ody 05. I saw that they have a MP3 player available that can be added as an accessory. Does anyone out there have this MP3 player? Trying to find out if it is any good.
  • Options
    chromekingchromeking Member Posts: 2
    Thanks, I realized afterwards that there are 4 to 7 pin conversion kits out and it's done. Only thing I have to do is run wire from the brake controller to the 7 pin socket. Got it solved.
  • Options
    rayjrayj Member Posts: 3
    I just bought the Honda cross bar kit from HandA for my new 05 Odyssey. In trying to install it, I'm having great difficulty removing the plastic covers on the ends of the side rails, which you must do to insert the cross bar brackets. It sounds like it should be very simple - I press in the locking tab with a screw driver and then try to slide the cover backwards. However, it won't budge, as if something is still holding it in. I did not want to resort to more force or prying until asking if anyone else has had this issue. Are there any tricks to it? Thank you!
  • Options
    I had the same problem. A friend came by and it made it alot easier with one person pushing in on the tab and the other pushing back on the cover.

Make sure the tab is actually depressing all the way on the lock. The first screwdriver I used was too wide.

At the same time you are pushing back on it, push down.
  • Options
    glutz1glutz1 Member Posts: 20
    b_rad, you indicate that you found hidden hitches (for '05's ?) on the Web for ~$160 w/shipping; can you plse indicae where at ? The only hidden hitch that I've been able to find is the Honda one, and the best price for it as $234+ shipping from H&A Accessories. Thx
  • Options
    http://www.usa-trailer-hitches.com/hitch_selector_combo.htm

Hidden hitch part #70750 for $145.00 shipped.
    My neighbor whishes that he would have bought the Hidden Hitch instead of the Honda hitch. It just looks nicer from behind the car and a lot easier to install.
  • Options
    seascapeseascape Member Posts: 8
    Hi,

I apologize if this question has been posted before. Just bought 05 Ody EX-L with Honda all season floor mats. Just love the van.

Since Honda does not have the floor mat for 3rd raw seat I would like to know where I can buy floor mat for the 3rd raw seat to match (color and style) Honda original floor mat.

Thanks
  • Options
    I am pretty sure mine came with the 3rd row mat. Are you sure your dealer didn't short change you?
    (Could be my mistake)

I know that if you do a google search you will find the company that make the mats for all the US auto makers and I have seen the factory mats listed on that site for a lot less than buying them from your local honda dealership.

They were about the same price as the all weather mats so I decided that I would just wear them out and replace them when the time comes.
  • Options
    seascapeseascape Member Posts: 8
    Thanks for the reply.

The all season floor mats (black rubber one not the carpet type) sold by Honda only cover front and 2nd row but not the 3rd row.

I am trying to buy the after market all season floor mat for the 3rd row to match the one sold by Honda.
  • Options
    glutz1glutz1 Member Posts: 20
    Thanks for the link ! Their installation instructions don't show the bumper cover as needing to be cut, as is done for the OEM Honda hitch for the '05 Ody. W/that being the case, I can only presume that the entire hitch is visible beneath the bumper, as is the case w/Drawtite's hitch. I'm wondering why your neighbor finds that to look better, as I'm trying to pick the hitch which is the least visible from behind ?
  • Options
    Thanks very much for the tips! I'll find a helper this weekend and give it another try.
  • Options
    Ditto. I am also looking for a hitch for the wife's 2005 Odyssey. Our prior van had a Valley brand hitch which I loved since you only see the square receiver from the rear, no ugly horizontal square or round bars running out to either side. Anyone had luck on this? I called Valley and they said their '04 hitch should fit the '05, that's also got me scratching my head. Thanks.....Mark.
  • Options
    keysdiggskeysdiggs Member Posts: 12
    Hello....I have a 2005 Honda Ody and I just received the cargo mat and organizer from Cheapesthondaparts.com. I have no idea how to install the items. I did not see any hooks in the van in order to attach the organizer and the cargo mat is doubled over since the 3rd row seats are upright. Please help.
  • Options
    etaeta Member Posts: 33
    For the cargo mat, afaik it just sits on top of the area around the 3rd row seats (once the seats are folded down). There's a shot at http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/05odycargomat.jpg.

For the organizer, there's a shot here: http://www.handa-accessories.com/odyssey/cargoorganizer.jpg. Looks like its got a couple of straps to hold it down...?

ETA
  • Options
    Thank you for your help.
  • Options
    Update - Success! Completed the installation yesterday, with a second person to help. He held in the tab while I tugged with both hands on the cover. It still didn't want to move, until he took a larger flat-head screw driver in his other hand and gave the front edge of the cover a slight pry. Popped right off, the rest was easy.
  • Options
    macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    No wind noise has appeared I hope!
  • Options
    Hi...Where is the best place(cheapest) to buy aftermarket all weather mats for my honda ody 2005?
  • Options
    Just bought a set for my 05 from Cheapesthondaparts.com they weren't what I would call cheap but the lowest price I could find.....Mark.
  • Options
    Bought mine at http://www.handa-accessories.com for $130 including shipping. arrived in two days.
  • Options
    nwngnwng Member Posts: 663
    honda is making a ton of dough selling their all weather mats. For about the same price you'd paid for some nice, durable weather tech mats, you got a thin piece of rubber with no ability to hold dirt.

If it's not for the lazy susan, I would have spend the money on weathertech mats.

come to think of it, i'd rather give up the use of lazy susan in the winter
  • Options
    canadianehcanadianeh Member Posts: 1
    In Canada I was quoted $1,450 - CAD - for the towing package. The salesman says the van comes pre-wired. Does that mean I don't have to buy the wiring harness if I do it myself? Also the local U-haul quoted me $476 - CAD for a class 3 hitch, wired and Trany cooler. They don't have a part for the PS cooler or air duct. These won't be honda parts but generic.

How does the Honda Hitch look compared to say a Hidden Hitch?
  • Options
    You will have to purchase the honda wire harness about $125 on the internet as Uhaul will not be able to do the wiring without it nor should you let them try as all they will do is butcher up the wires in your car (04 and older are very different).
    As far as the hitch, the hidden hitch hangs down about 1/4 inch lower but with the round tubes you really don't see much of the hitch. You can purchase everything shipped(hitch, coolers, harness(the complete factory Honda package)) over the net for $700 shipped and it's a time consuming but do-able all day project. If you go several posts back from yours you will find the entire instruction manual and you can determine your ability for yourself. I did it with one helper and was surprised how easy it was.
  • Options
    fballardfballard Member Posts: 9
    Apparently in Canada the 05 Odysseys have day time running lights. Does anyone know if it is possible to say convert the US Odyssey parking lights to day time running lights or is there a kit available anywhere to make DRL a reality? Is the front light appearance different on those sold in Canada? Honda should have made the DRL available since they are not only a great defensive safety factor but they can be found on some of the Toyota models. Thanks!
  • Options
    irishelvisirishelvis Member Posts: 4
    Just traded in my 02 Ford Exporer for a more family friendly 2005 Odyssey EX-L RES.

Question, the Turing model comes with auto door locks like my FOrd did. Does anybody know if there is a way that the door locks can auto lock after five seconds or so.

Thanks
  • Options
    odd1odd1 Member Posts: 227
    Anyone done this? I need to put a cargo box on and the factory rails are only rated to 100 lbs. If I use after market towers and crossbars I can go up to 165lbs. My issue is the factory rails interfere with the after market towers. Can I remove the factory rails easily? Will doing so leave holes in the roof? This is for an '02 Odyssey.

Thanks.
  • Options
    tom25tom25 Member Posts: 17
    What is the web site of Exact Mats?
  • Options
    tom25tom25 Member Posts: 17
    On WeatherTech.com, I could not find cargo tray. Are you talking about cargo liner?
  • Options
    madonna33jmadonna33j Member Posts: 4
    I just received our Touring Odyssey. We had the third row sunshade installed.
    The top of the sunshade, (the hooks that hold the shade) are pressed into some sort of putty glue. When I pulled the sunshade up and attached it, the hooks came right off.
    Is that the way they should be attached to the window?
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    Click the link at the top of the page for H and A and click Honda, Odyssey, 2005, Interior and scroll down and read the instructions for your answer.

Good Luck.
  • Options
    attilauyattilauy Member Posts: 32
    Is there a way to install a tire pressure monitoring system on ANY 2005 OD (touring is the only one with TPM)? I don't want PAX , so my choices are OD EX or OD EX-L which unfortunately don't have TPM.

TPM is one of the good things present in all Siennas which may persuade me to buy one instead of an OD 2005. Direct or indirect TPM, does not matter to me as long as it works.
  • Options
    Tirerack has them.

TPMS Systems
  • Options
    bluetoothlessbluetoothless Member Posts: 15
    I recently purchased an '05 Odyssey EX Cloth and am wondering if the wiring harness, hardware, and computer needed for NAV, DVD RES, noise cancellation, and cylinder management are onboard yet disabled. This idea is not new and in use with various production lines to streamline their efficiency, therefore offsetting the actual costs of the hardware. Four salesmanagers in a closed office couldn't answer whether or not the harness and mounts existed, but repeatedly stated that these features weren't available on the cloth. I.e. my '94 Civic EX has the harness and bracket for the multi-disc CD player yet it only came with AM/FM Cassette from Japan.
  • Options
    Probably not.

I know that in my 2000 EX I wanted to add heated mirrors - just like the Canadian models. You would think it would be simple but the wiring harness for the Canadian model was completely different and the feature could not be added.
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    I also doubt it, particularly the VCM since it also has additional mechancial features in the engine compartment.

I was looking at installing the auto-dimming mirror in my EX-L (std. on touring) and there's no wiring/harnesses in the ceiling. All the wiring has to be run according to the instructions.
  • Options
    jacka1jacka1 Member Posts: 4
    Has anybody done better than $800 for a dealer-installed XM radio in a Honda? The whole kit costs only $430 to $520 at Handa.com and College Hill.
  • Options
    usmcrdadusmcrdad Member Posts: 1
    We're about to go cross country, sleeping the the back of the vehicle. I want to take out the last seat and use the cargo space in the well. If I take the pivot arm out of the wall of the vehicle, I might lose the nut or whatever inside the wall and never get it back on. Bad move. If I take the seat off the pivot arm, CAN I REATTACH IT AFTER THE TRIP?
This discussion has been closed.