Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Odyssey Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• Options
    michellek3michellek3 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    We absolutely love our new van, everthing is perfect....except:
    the sound quality of the stereo is really in need of something!I guess I've been spoiled in the past by Nissan (excellent Bose systems)
    Does anyone have any suggestions????? Something not too expensive, but will improve the quality.
    Thanks,
    Michelle
    :confuse:
  • Options
    daedae Member Posts: 143
    Does anyone have any suggestions?????

Speakers from touring model are not expensive and are supposed to be of better quality.

I just ordered in dash tweeters from Touring to replace ones on my EX. $40. (I install myself). Let's see if that improves things. Will check the main speakers then...
  • Options
    fibber2fibber2 Member Posts: 3,786
    I remember this coming up before on another Ody board, but have not been able to find the text. I think I remember it being said that the nut is welded to the wall, and that removal of the cap head screw (torx or allen, maybe?) under the rubber covering was all that is required. If I find anything different, I will repost.

Steve
  • Options
    psgpsg Member Posts: 72
    Any DIY sugestions would be most welcome. The sound quality in our '04 is terrible.
  • Options
    sambartysambarty Member Posts: 1
    Hi

Do I need to get the towing package if all I want to do is to tow bikes using a bike attachemnt to a hitch, and occasionally tow mulch for my small yard on the Ody 05 EXL-RES.

Thanks
    Bob
  • Options
    michellek3michellek3 Member Posts: 6
    Hi,
    No, you really don't, not for the light stuff.
    However, Honda really is against doing that. They say if you end up selling the car later and that person uses it, it could cause serious damage to the engine and the warranty would be invalid. So it's really just up to you. My husband is planning on installing one himself from:
    http://www.usa-trailer-hitches.com/
    I think if you are a responsible person, then you would either take it off when you sell it, or let your buyer know. Not everything in life has to be by the book ;)
    Michelle
  • Options
    attilauyattilauy Member Posts: 32
    I am still undecided on which to buy, sienna or od?

Is it possible to put xenon head lights in 2005 OD EX? How about fog lights? Are the fog lights dealer installed or are they after market products? Appreciate any help or suggestion. Thanks.
  • Options
    How about fog lights?

I just ordered original Honda fog lights for $210 online. It is prewired and even had proper factory switch. Dealer had them for $400 + install and a long wait. I plan to install them myself, but that involves taking the front bumper off, so you must have hands growing from the right places. Looking at instructions - I will save considerable time against driving it to mechanic and waiting (I would pay for installation gladly if that would not be the case).

Got them at this place but they are anywhere.

I would think that a proper HID front assembly would be prohibitively expensive, and some aftermarked hacks (without proper leveling and optics) are not safe. I would not bother.
  • Options
    sebring95sebring95 Member Posts: 3,241
    FWIW, the Ody headlights are very good. I'd never spend the money on xenon as I'm not sure how much better they'd be. I find them as good/better than my wifes GX470.

The factory fogs might help a little, but most are cosmetic for the most part. I've read of Ody owners with the fogs and they didn't notice much difference. I've not used factory fogs on anything that had them. The touring comes with factory fogs, the others are a dealer add-on. Final product is the same.
  • Options
    Thank you for the info. I am just wondering if I really need the xenons and fogs while driving along I-44(somewhat mountainous area) in the MO, AR, OK area going to Chicago during winter seasons. I have two newer cars with both fogs and xenons and another two older ones with halogens. I find it clearer and easier to drive using the xenons. However, I am not sure whether the new ODY EX have better lights even though they still use the halogens. My choices now are OD EX and Sienna LE ( 8-seat and clothe are mandatory features for us).
  • Options
    rsblaskirsblaski Member Posts: 68
    I don't know if my Ody Touring is typical of the type, but the headlights on mine are beyond amazing!
    We traded an '01 Toyota Solara convertible for our Ody and the difference was unbelievable. There is a turn in a road nearby with no lighting that I had to slow down for before, but with the Ody, the turn is completely illuminated.
    We have taken a couple of trips through mountains at night and I had no trouble at all with visibility. I found that I was more relaxed--no squinting at the road ahead.
    I think xenon would not be much of an improvement in visibility, although they do look cool! :shades:
  • Options
    I have received and hooked up fog lights to my EX cloth. Parking lot test have shown that side coverage improves a lot - that does help you to see the shoulder.

That is what I use factory fogs on my BMW for - to see the shoulder better: great help on mountain roads. It is irrelevant for the forward direction or for highway driving IMO.

Standard headlights are indeed very good.

Now the last upgrade I want to make is to get a set of winter tires on steel disks and Spider clip-on traction: but that can wait until next winter.

I would definetly recommend Odyssey over Sienna, but as usual it is a matter of opinion.

You are right about choosing cloth.
  • Options
    maulanamaulana Member Posts: 55
    I am thinking about purchasing a 2005 Odyssey EX-L which comes with these options added by the dealer:

Roof rack: 267$
    Fog lights 569$
    Protection package: $360

I have looked all over Edmunds, but can't find how much these options should really cost. Can anyone help?
  • Options
    Well, you won't find those on Edmunds because they're not factory "options", but dealer installed "accessories". You can buy the accessories significantly cheaper from online Honda sources, such as http://www.handa-accessories.com/ But, the online prices obviously don't include installation, which the dealers prices do. I purchased splash guards from the previously mentioned website and installed them myself for about half what the dealer wanted. Installation was a breeze. Here's some prices for just parts:

Roof rack (bars only, EX-L comes with rails): $155

Fog Lights: $227

No idea what protection package means. I would guess some combination of splash guards ($70), door guards ($38), floor mats ($119), cargo tray ($83), etc.

The roof bars and most of the protection parts are very easy to install. The Fog-lights aren't bad (just glancing at the instructions) but if you aren't handy with DIY projects, it might be a challenge for you.

The only real difference in buying them elsewhere vs the dealer (excluding installation which you pay for.....) is Honda will warranty the accessories the same as the rest of the vehicle. Maybe important for some items.
  • Options
    maulanamaulana Member Posts: 55
    dear Sebring95,
    thank you for the above! it is very helpful. I am going back to the dealership to see if we can close out the deal, and this will come in handy.

maulana
  • Options
    p3racerp3racer Member Posts: 1
    The headlights on the 2005 Odyssey are much better than my 2001. I have PIAA bulbs on order. They will make night driving even better.
  • Options
    Fog lights 569$

Hm. That means I did $359 of work installing $210 lights in 30 min and saved a trip to a mechanic.

I am not poor, but I will take $700/hour rate for my work.
  • Options
    slykslyk Member Posts: 21
    I have an '05 Ody touring. I have a few questions before I purchase the cross bars so maybe some of you that have installed them can answer them.
    1) Is the cross bars spacing adustable? I want to install one of those x-cargo "turtle boxes" on top for our trip. These things u-bolt to the cross bars. Need to know what the spacing is and if it adjustable to acomodate such and/or the adjustment range of the cross bars.
    TIA- Slyk
  • Options
    1) Is the cross bars spacing adustable?

Installation instructions call to align the bar holder with a mark on the rail. (last three steps). It seems that there is nothing special about that particular space: look at the mark on your rails.
  • Options
    slykslyk Member Posts: 21
    Thanks Dae for the rely.
    Yea I've read the instructions and seen those marks. It does not say if they can be moved from that.So are you saying that you can vary the spacing? Someone else said that the cross bars they are different lengths and cannot be mounted anywhere different.
    Anyway just trying to get a straight yes or no answer and if yes how much can they be varied (spacing).
    Thanks slyk
  • Options
    toscanatoscana Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have contact information for Honda dealers who sell Exact Mats? The company hasn't responded to my request. (And based on some members' posts, the dealer price is much better than buying directly from the company.) Thanks.
  • Options
    Anyway just trying to get a straight yes or no answer and if yes how much can they be varied (spacing).

It does look like spacing does vary; so I would guess they can not be moved by much.

You may be better off with Thule Bars, but they are not as good aerodynamically, I do take mine off - but I share the actual rail mounts with my other station wagon.
  • Options
    Does anyone know where to buy the best all weather rubber mats for 2005 ODY EX with gray interior? I am planning to use the lazy susan space in front of 2nd row seats as my tool box for long drive. I don't need to open this place during long drive unless I need those tools for emergency situations. I will leave the mats in place as long as necessary. Thanks for your help.
  • Options
    stosto Member Posts: 8
    we just bought 2005 Ody Ex-cloth and I am looking for a source for a decent seat covers -any suggestions ? thanks
  • Options
    macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Based on what I (and some of my friends) have stopped doing (i.e. using protective covers over new seats) about 20+ years ago, my friendly advice is:

"Enjoy your new seats as they are and do not preserve them new for the next owner" :)
  • Options
    dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    You're joking, right?
  • Options
    rashdirrashdir Member Posts: 29
    I drove a Sienna for a week and added 1500 miles on it. In my opinion, the Xenon look great but I didn't see much difference compared to my 05 ODY.

Since we never have Fog in N. Texas, other than for cosmetic reasons I don't see any use for them here. It depends on where you live though.
  • Options
    stosto Member Posts: 8
    no, we have 2 kids + German Shepherd, so I would like to put something on those seats to protect them for a while
  • Options
    aspesisteveaspesisteve Member Posts: 833
    don't waste your coin on a towing package if you just want to put bikes on your rear hitch. It shouldn't be a problem to tell the next owner what the rules are regarding towing without the tranny cooler - and besides the warranty is over at 36k miles.

btw; I have a double hitch on the rear of my '02 Oddysey that allows me to pull a 1,200 pound trailer with 4 bikes on the rear as well and NO, I don't have a tranny cooler. I took it all up to Yosemite from the Bay Area and got 20 miles per gallon.

The engine in this car is awesome.
  • Options
    nkalyannkalyan Member Posts: 11
    I am planing to buy the EX with leather and without navigation and DVD after reading all the reviews and forums but kind a confuse on navigation system. Are there aftermarket Navigation system that can be fit in the dashboard ??????also will install a dvd aftermarket because they cheaper and better quality and bigger screen
  • Options
    dljrphdljrph Member Posts: 4
    has anybody swapped out the front tweeters? i want to do it myself, but haven't tackled anything more complicated than popping out a door speaker panel and wiring in the replacments. do i have to rip apart the dash to get to the crossover's, etc?
  • Options
    Pioneer makes a Navigation system that will fit in the Dash. It's about $2,000 and still takes some modifying. A good aftermarket portable (like the upper-end Garmins) will run you $800+ unless you get into factory refurbs or such. I do like my Garmin, maybe a tad better than the Honda factory system, but the large factory display and non-cluttered look is better overall. I travel a lot and pop my portable into rentals so that's where it comes in handy to me.

10" aftermarket overhead screens are fairly common, in the $800 range. There's a 15" screen available, runs about $1200. Probably won't be able to use your review mirror with something that large. Probably won't fit a big screen into the headrests. I've also heard the aftermarket smaller screens also interfere with the rearview because they aren't as flush as the factory screen.

The factory RES is a 9" screen, good enough for the kids on trips.

I guess you have to ask yourself how much is the savings worth? I personally didn't mind coughing up the extra dough even though I already have the portable nav. I figure you might save $1,000 if you can find everything real cheap, but it still won't have all the function and ease-of-use as the factory system. I have a very expensive aftermarket system put in my towing truck, and it's not on-par with the Ody factory system. Plus it has had problems and was only warranteed for one-year so I'm buying a new overhead LCD as we speak. Also had problems merging into the factory audio, so we have an extra switch that has to be turned on for everyone to hear the DVD audio.

Just some things to consider.
  • Options
    askfedaskfed Member Posts: 2
    The spacing IS adjustable. I just bought the Honda mid-sized roof box and needed to move the cross bars for installation. You'll need a special screwdriver with a star-shaped head. I don't have the exact number for it but the local dealer printed the installation instructions for the crossbars and the screwdriver wsize was stated clearly. The screwdriver is a standard item at auto parts stores (about $5?). Hope this helps.
  • Options
    askfedaskfed Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 LEX RES and cannot find any info on getting a video game to play on the DVD screen. The AUX button doesn't seem to do anything worthwhile and I find nothing in the manual. Please help as this is for an EXTENDED trip with 11-yr old son and his 8-month old sisters. The girls will not be playing :)
  • Options
    freewill365freewill365 Member Posts: 3
    Hi folks,

Just got an '05 Ody Touring (with 90 days free XM).

I want to plug my iPod into the AUX port. But the dealer says I cannot use the AUX if XM is enabled.

Anyone know if this is true or not? If it is, is there any way to have BOTH XM and my iPod working?

Many thanks.

freewill
  • Options
    dalecmdalecm Member Posts: 1
    I just got this device in the mail. (click below to see) It's spendy but it is the only one that says it is compatible with an 05 Odyssey. I haven't installed it yet because I haven't figured out how to remove the stereo to plug it into the back. It takes the input for the optional XM radio so I don't think you can have both. You control the ipod with the disc forward and back buttons on the car stereo unit or the steering wheel.

Has anybody found out how to remove the 05 Odyssey 6 disc stereo or any web sites that might have instructions?

http://www.logjamelectronics.com/densioni20hondar3.html
  • Options
    pallidinpallidin Member Posts: 7
    I have a 2005 Odyssey touring with the Nav system. I am getting tired of seeing the opening screen, and having to hit O.K., every time on turn on the system. Is there any way to circumvent that first screen or turn it off? How do I know what software version I have. I don't want to spend $180 for something I already have.
    smile
  • Options
    There is no way to beat the opening screen and the caution. This is lawyer stuff to protect against liability in the product's use.
    The software version can be found by pressing the "setup" button, click on the "more" button on the upper right, and then on "system information." It will show the software version installed.

If I saved you $180, I'm happy.

Rick :shades:
  • Options
    stevepenstevepen Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone wired in both an iPod (through a Dension connector) and a XM radio to the factory Hinda radio?
  • Options
    jjtrindcjjtrindc Member Posts: 24
    Boxes have been arriving like crazy and glad to have my Ody "complete" (at least this week!).

Thought I would put out some descriptions of accessories I purchased...

Honda Cargo Tray (HandA - $82.80): Excellent. Really covers the the area behind the third row seats well. Durable. Nice deep lip. Easy to remove for cleaning. Fits in trunk with third row seat down.

Weathertech Cargo Mat (Weathertech - $119.95): Again, excellent purchased. Very durable. With third row seat down, this piece runs from the very back of the second row up to the rear hatch. Form fits around the sides and over the the seat latches. Deep lip around the entire mat. I actually hosed it down outside and was amazed at how much water it held. Comes out easily. Note that it is probably too bulky to store in the car, but rolls up quite easily and you can use a bunge cord to wrap it. The coverage and protection far outweighs any inconvenience for me in terms of storage.

Honda Cargo Organizer (HandA - $42.00): While it's a well made product, I'm returning mine. First off, even though it says "Geniune Honda Odyssey" in their website description, the instructions it came with say its for the 2002 Pilot. Found it's a bit big for our needs - takes up about 2/3rds of the trunk space. While it does fold down, you need to unsnap it each time so a bit of a pain.

Rubbermaid Cargo Organizer (Target - $29.99): Smaller profile both in depth and length than than Honda but more appealing for that reason. Folds up quite small. Has exerior pockets for small things like flashlights, etc. They make two versions in terms of size. "Smaller" version comes with an insulated cooler that fits neatly inside. We have two kids in carseats, so we can actually store it between first and second row during llong car trips for easy snacks and toys. Also easy to remove the whole thing and carry it to the beach/picnic etc. Another great product from Rubbermaid.

Mr. Grille (Mr. Grille Ebay Store $88.00 incl shipping): A piece of mind accessory after reading lots of stories about rocks damaging condensors. I requested that Mr. Grille do the cut out to fit the front license plate. For those who are wondering, they do one rectangular cut out to fit under the license plate, not two smaller cuts as some DIY's have done. Because of how they do the cutout, it also leaves a small gap between the bottom of the license plate and the top of the grille. Not something that bothers me. Figure if a rock manages to get into that space then it's just destiny Overall, the look of it didn't bother me, but wanted to let people know exactly what to expect if you order the cutout. As for the wife, her first reaction was, "Wow, that looks good. Looks like it was always part of the car." As for airflow issues, having seen the grille up close, I don't feel it's that much of a factor.

Weathertech All Season Mats: Company still does not have custom mats for the '05. Will keep everyone updated.

Honda dealer installed door guards, air deflector, splash guards and fenderwell trim: All look very sharp and time will tell whether they add the extra protection. So far, very happy with the choices.
  • Options
    macakavamacakava Member Posts: 775
    Great stuff!

Is there a grill for 2004 Ody and earlier?
    I did not find one on mrgrille.com
    So I assume that the stone/consenser problem is not a problem with those Odys.
    However, for the past 20+ years, I have always made it a practice of wrapping the radiator and condenser of my vehicles with window mesh screen material for protection.
  • Options
    govols1govols1 Member Posts: 1
    Can the NAV system in the '05 Odyssey be reconfigured so DVDs play on the NAV screen as well as the rear screen? I know it is probably illegal to drive down the road watching a movie on the front screen, but I want to do it for the passenger not the driver.
  • Options
    Yes it can be done. It involves making a small circuit board and tapping some wires between the dvd, nav screen, and backup camera. Basically you trick the nav screen into thinking the vehicle is in reverse which switches on the screen whenever you press a switch. When the switch is on, the board is sending the dvd output through the backup camera circuit. When the switch is off, everything is just like normal and the camera is shown on the screen when switched to reverse. There's another site that details everything more closely, but I don't think I'm allowed to link to it from Edmunds. A member there is working on getting harnesses and an OEM switch for the dash so there's no cutting required. I'm going to buy a kit from him when it's done, but in the mean time my crude mod works fine. A couple folks have done this on the other site.
  • Options
    A big thank you to jjtrindc for his info regarding Mr. Grille.
    I just ordered the grille insert and will get 2 day UPS delivery for only $12 more.
    You can find Mr. Grille with a simple search. Their phone # is 951-279-4360.
    Having had one condensor replaced already, I figure $99 is cheap insurance against an $800+ repair (which Desert Honda, Las Vegas graciously picked up without my even asking).
    We are taking a really long trip, picking up the grandkids in Wisconsin, driving to Florida to visit my mom and then to Disneyworld for a week.
    On the way, we will stop at Mammoth Cave and Stone Mountain.
    After that, a few more days with mom, then home to Nevada until we take the kids back home in August.
    We'll probably log @ 10,000 miles in all, but it will give us a chance to spend time with the grandkids and have them visit with my mom.
  • Options
    sjvsjv Member Posts: 14
    Just purchased 2005 Ody EX-L last week and had the dealer add the XM package to the XM ready radio. The antenna was placed on the inside upper right corner of the windshield. I questioned this as the XM Radio Activation page on the internet says "If your antenna was professionally installed inside the car, you will have mutes and other reception problems. Please return to your installer and have them place the antenna on the outside of the car. You should not be charged for this service." I gave the dealer a copy of this document from the XM website.

The dealer provided my with a copy of Publication # All 27373, Installation Instructions, XM Radio System. The Honda instructions, in 9 pages of great detail, show that the antenna should be installed exactly where it is, inside the windshield?

The dealer has agreed to install any XM antenna I bring them on the rear center roof. I have experienced some infrequent drop-outs or mutes with "no signal" momentarily displayed on the radio.

1. Can I expect noticably better performance with the antenna moved from the inside of the w/s to the rear/center of the roof?

2. Will any current antenna product connector (Terk, etc.) fit the Odyssey connector on the "splitter"? :confuse:

3. What is the absolute best XM antenna on the market?

Thanks for all feedback. :)
  • Options
    nkalyannkalyan Member Posts: 11
    has any one came accross or thought about watching movies on the front navigation screen Is that Possible ?? why can't a front passenger watch the movies, we understand that it can distract the driver but in this high tech world and people with multiple skills people can drive and talk on the phone why can't they watch some clip of the movies anyway is the navigation compatible or can it be connected with the Rear Entertainment System I am sure some one might have done so ???
  • Options
    See post #458 This was just covered the other day.
  • Options
    robr2robr2 Member Posts: 8,805
    ...we understand that it can distract the driver but in this high tech world and people with multiple skills people can drive and talk on the phone why can't they watch some clip of the movies anyway...

Actually most people CAN"T drive and talk on the phone at the same time - they can barely drive and talk to a passenger!!

Here in MA, it's technically illegal to have anything between the driver and the windshield. You are not allowed to have any decals other than the inspection sticker on the windshield and nothing hanging from the mirror. It's not enforced.

Saying all of this, drivers in MA are already pretty distracted. Let them watch a movie while driving?? Heh heh heh - I don't think so.
  • Options
    brudybrudy Member Posts: 2
    The arm rest on my Odyssey is much too low for my arm and I am wondering if there is any way to prop it up into a higher position (or attach something not too weird or ugly to increase height of rest).
  • Options
    socratesfivesocratesfive Member Posts: 1
    Thes arm rest is multi-positional. To operate pull the arm rest up vertical aligned with the seat and then push it down it should lock into 5 - 9 different positions.
This discussion has been closed.