Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,329
    You'll occasionally find a good Pinto or Chevette too, although that WOULD be hard to do. :)

The 2001 Pros use heavier-gauge metal in the suspension parts and thicker sheet metal in the body where they attach. Probably would've been better for jstandefer, but that's 20/20 hindsight.

My 99 is still doing fine. Some creaking noise like vinyl rubbing against itself coming from my seat, but I weight 195lb, so I'm not surprised. Other than that, it's rattle-free.

Screws will work themselves loose with regular use (and abuse). Maybe your garage could tighten any loose fasteners on the body. I just went through my '89 323's interior and found a number of loose screws on the trim panels that I snugged up. Helped to reduce the rattles.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    This may sound weird, but I have noticed it. When I am first taking off in my 2001 ES, I notice this little squeak when the transmission shifts. It sounds like a little mouse squeak, but it is there. Weird. :)

Going to bid on the 3rd Generation Altezzas on Ebay and have them put in probably. Got the tints and fog lights done Saturday. Probably going to do either the perimeter alarm next, or the 6-disc CD changer (although it's $500, and that is a little high). We will see.

Meade, I did not get any e-mails about the MAPP either. Send it to the work one you have for me, or to the one under my profile here.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Thanks. I'm ok now...just had to rant to you guys. I was just a little frustrated this morning seeing it so dirty after all my hard work to clean it. Thanks again.
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    The same thing happend to me yesterday morning. I spent like an hour washing, cleaning, vacuuming, and polishing my Protege and it freaking rained on Saturday evening! I was mad, but now I get to do it all over again. Still trying to bribe one of my friends into waxing my car, but not having any luck as of yet. :)
  • tcdatcda Posts: 9
    Go to www.eaa.org, join their organization for $40, and you'll get 1 percent or so off of the invoice price.
  • protegenic. I just found out about the S-Plan through reading the P5 Hatchback message board. go to www.eaa.org where you can join for $40. and be eligable for for a 1.5% below invoice price for a Mazda or any other Ford associated auto. It's up to individual dealerships to honor this. I asked one dealership in my area if they accepted this and they said they wouldn't. My next step is to call other dealerships. It's called the EAA Partner Recognition Program. Check it out and keep me posted.
  • laurakatlaurakat Posts: 69
    Test drove a couple of ES 5spds this afternoon. The first one I tested had a very strange grinding noise coming from the rear. The sales guy was a little embarassed. We both agreed we shouldn't drive that one much further, so I turned around and went back to test another one. Very fun car to drive (except for the grinding noise in the first one!)

Anyway, we sat down to crunch some numbers. We were about $800 apart. The hang up was my trade. It's a 97 Intrepid with 98k on the clock. The car is immaculate, paint shines like new, interior looks new, the tires have most of their tred life left, it runs nice and tight (for a Dodge, anyway). Kelly's BB values range from approx 4400 to 4800. Edmund's between 4700 and 5300 trade-in. They offered 3700 at first, and eventually creeped up to 4100. I know I can sell it on my own for well over 5k, based on the local paper and autotrader.com selling prices. Looks like I'll have to take that route. I'll check another dealership closer to home to see what they can do.
  • protegenic: Given the choice between an Accord LX V6 and a 626 ES V6 I think I would probably have to choose the Accord. While there is nothing wrong with the 626 and it does have more options for the money, I personally prefer the Accord's styling and interior. And even though the Accord is $3,000 more it will hold it's value better and maybe be easier to sell if you choose to go that way. What about an Accord 4 cylinder EX..it has a 2.3L 150HP vs. the 626 2.5L 170HP... and will have 6-disc changer, steering wheel controls, ABS, and pretty much everything else the 626 has, but you may be stuck on getting a 6 cylinder car.

However, as my fiance just pointed out, if the 626 has 0.0% interest then maybe that's the way to go. If you are financing at a normal rate or paying cash then the Accord seems like the best choice.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Posts: 805
    For the price of the Accord, I would take a long, close look at the Millenia. The base model (which has leather, moonroof, and just about everything else) is powered by the same engine and transmission as the 626 V6. The Millenia S has the 2.3L DOHC Miller-Cycle V6 which produces 210hp and 210lb-ft of torque (more power and torque than the Accord V6). There is a generous $4,000 rebate on the Millenia right now, making it quite a steal. You should easily be able to pick one up for the price of the Accord. The price of the Accord EX-V6 starts at $25,100 before destination and no other options. You can easily pick up a $32,500 Millenia S for that price after rebate and discounts. The Millenia competes with the Acura TL series, Lexus ES series, and Infiniti I series. Although it is not quite up to par with those vehicles, compared to the Accord, Camry, and 626, it is a step above.
  • But even though the Millenia has 210HP it can still only muster a 9.0 or so 0-60 vs. 8.0 seconds or less for the 200HP Accord.

You can get a Millenia for $25,600 according to Carsdirect.com but an EX V6 Accord can be had for $22,600 and it's resale value will be eons better than the Millenia's. And the Millenia has not had a major redesign or engine upgrade in 6 years. So it is a very dated platform and even though it was designed as a luxury car, on such an old design it is probably no better than the family sedans of today.
  • protegenicprotegenic Posts: 199
    Interesting that these two cars would come up since that is what I am looking at now. We test drove a Millenia last night and my wife liked it. With S-Plan pricing and incentives, the price for the Millenia with the 170hp v-6 is $22K. I have not been able to get any Honda dealer in Atlanta down below 23300 for the Accord EX-V6. Granted, the Accord performs better, but that is not a priority to my wife. I also have read that the 2.3L Miller cycle is 0-60 in the upper 7/low 8 second range while the 2.5L is in the low 9's. I may be able to live with that.

Another thing going for the Millenia is that there are just too many Accords on the road, and I also think there is a little more prestige with the Millenia. I am sure that is open to debate, but it is just my opinion.
  • mdaffronmdaffron Posts: 4,421
    Time to move the Accord and Millenia discussions off to those topics, dontchathink?

Meade
  • Hello gang,

I've been following the Pro board for quite a while now and I'd like to thank everyone for their insightful comments and observations about the Pro.

Currently I'm bumming around in a '98 Cavalier (I know, I know....I'm ashamed to admit it but in all honesty, it has been a decent car for me) but most likely my next car puchase will be a Protege. After following the action here and renting one for myself I feel that the Pro is definately the best small-car value out there.

Another factor in my decision is that my fiance is currently driving a '90 Pro LX and I find myself trying to drive her car more than my own! Even though it's over 10 years old it has less rattles and squeaks than my 3 year-old car. Granted, it was her grandma's before she got it and granny wasn't exactly Mario Andretti but I'm so impressed with the build quality of the Pro verus my Cav that I feel much more confident in the long term reliability of the Protege.

Thanks again for the great input (and occasional off topic tangents) and helping to make my next car buying decision that much easier!

Eastside
  • krotinekrotine Posts: 93
    Can I get a short background of the people who are going to the mapp2 this year? I don't want to feel like the odd man out.

Jason
    2002 Protegé5
    Eastside ... welcome! Nice to hear from you. Your situation is interestingly similar to ours ... except the roles are reversed. I'm the Protege owner and my wife is the not-so-proud owner of a 1995 Cavalier. We just had a baby and since we only plan to have one child (I know, I know ... don't start on that subject!), we don't want to lose our automotive hearts & souls and buy a minivan. We think her next car, about this time next year, will be a Protege5.

Jason ... Odd man out? Believe me, from having met the group, each of us has oddities to say the least! :) Oh ... and if you're saying you're the "odd man out" because of the fact that you have a Protege5 and the rest of us (so far) have Proteges, please please PLEASE don't let that be the reason you don't come! I've been dying to get an up-close, nitty-gritty-detailed look at a P5, and hear first-hand accounts about it! Your presence would be MUCHO cool!

Background? OK, I'm 36, male, and a big guy -- 6-foot-1 and 275 pounds. (Yet I find my Protege comfortable!) Other than raving about my car and washing it more often than my wife thinks is necessary (and she may have a point there), my other hobbies include amateur ("ham") radio and astronomy. I have a VHF ham transceiver mounted in the lower dash and an antenna mounted on the trunk of the Protege. I am employed as Public Relations Manager of the Richmond Metropolitan Authority, the state agency that operates Richmond's minor-league ballpark, several downtown parking decks, and the toll roads in the Richmond area. (Yes, your tolls pay my salary ... so come and visit Richmond!!!) :)

I hope you'll consider the journey to MAPP II ... The Sequel. We'll have a blast!

BTW, I'm going to take that second attempt at the MAPP II info e-mail in just a few minutes ... let me know if you guys get it!

Meade
    Because of problems with our e-mail server at work, I had to take the original message ... which was supposed to go to everbody, so everybody could see who was getting it ... and send it to each of you separately. Here's who it went to:

Meade (mdaffron)
    Larry (protegextwo)
    Paul (vocus)
    James (fowler3)
    Jason (krotine)
    Chow-chi (mazdafun)
    Steve (sfrat)

If anybody else is interested in coming, please e-mail me at:

[email protected]

Wow Paul, quick reading! I see I just got a response from you. I'm off to read it ...

Meade
  • Thanks for the greeting and just to make things more ironic....I'll probably be getting rid of the Cav about this time next year too! I guess that means two more homeless Cavs in the world. There goes the resale value.

The only thing I need to work on now is to try to get my fiance to change her mind about her next car purchase. She's currently infatuated with getting a VW Golf...she thinks the backlighting on the instrument cluster is cool. ; ) Who knows, maybe I can bring her to the Pro side of the Force!

Eastside
  • mazdafunmazdafun Posts: 2,329
    Me, I'm a 31-yr-old 6-ft male, 195lb. Grew up east coast (NYC, then Suffolk County for 4 yrs), undergrad west coast (nice weather out there...miss it) and now live & work in the midwest.

Probably don't wash my Pro as often as it deserves due to the rain we've been getting weekly here.

My vehicle: a classic red '99 LX with upgraded speakers (Pioneers) and a trunk organization kit. Will upgrade the stock steel wheels & tires to alloy wheels and tires (AVID T4s, Bridgestone RE910s or Michelin X-Ones) before the REAL rainy season starts (the FR680s are terrible on wet roads). Also still own a classic red '89 323LX (MY first car) with upgraded speakers and wheels/tires.

Previous rides: '84 Olds Firenza hatchback(death trap that belonged to my father), '76 Chevy cargo van (another death trap that my father owned), '86 Ford Taurus LX sedan(pretty good, except the computer died and had to be replaced twice, inflatable lumbar support sprung a leak, headrests didn't stay up etc...then my brother trashed it). My father finally gave up on the domestic big three and got himself a Honda Civic 3-dr hatchback.
    Eastside, I'm trying to talk my wife out of a Golf too!!!! She likes the looks (why? It's a freakin' box on wheels) and the hatch on the back. I'm scared to death of VWs because of their lackluster service history. I've been working on her pretty hard, though, and I think she's liking the P5 more now. Maybe those "Golf over my dead body" statements, along with other, equally mild hints, have done their job ....

:)

Meade
    Now I've got EVERYBODY giving their personal measurements to Jason! Listen ... if any women want to attend, giving your measurements is NOT an attendance requirement! I just gave mine because I didn't want everyone to yell "SHAMU!" and call the Coast Guard when they saw me!!!

Meade
    It'll be interesting to compare notes when we see each other. I plan to have Avid T4s on my 2000 ES (with the stock rims though) by the time we meet. The only thing that would make the stock Bridgestone Poortenzas MORE hydroplane-prone would be a good coating of teflon on the tread!

Meade
    Thanks to Paul (vocus) for saving this humorous piece I penned last year, right about the time we all started to wonder how safe it was to meet a bunch of strangers in a state park ... enjoy reading!!!

------------------------------------------------

Hey -- who knows? For all I know, Larry's an ax murderer and all of you will read the following in your Sunday papers:

NORTHERN VIRGINIA (AP) -- Seven people from three mid-Atlantic states were discovered dead in their cars at a local park early Saturday afternoon, State Police officials said.

All seven died of massive hemorrhaging caused by what appeared to be chainsaw wounds, police spokesman Barney Fife said. "Craziest thing I ever saw," Fife said. "All of these people were parked next to each other in the parking area. They all had the same kind of car -- some kind of Mazda -- but they were from different states, and their trunks were full of burgers and hot dogs. One guy even had a cooler full of lasagna."

One of the victims, a portly, middle-aged man from Richmond, was incorrectly identified as Drew Carey to local media before next of kin had been notified.

So far police are following one lead in the tragedy, Fife said. Bloody tire tracks from what appears to be yet another identical Mazda were found leading away from the scene, and a blood-stained Pennsylvania license plate was recovered near one of the vehicles.

Fife said no motive had been determined. "I don't know," he said. "All we found so far was a bunch of wadded-up e-mails from some guy named Edmund or something."

And one more thing, he said -- a mysterious message -- written by a bloody finger, across the back windshield of each car: "I think it was something like, 'ZOOM, ZOOM, ZOOM,' Fife said.

----------------------------------------------

Meade
  • Meade, I think we'd better quit while we're ahead. These similarities are getting way out of hand! : ) I do agree with you about worrying about VW's reliability, I'm not looking forward to possibly soaking a bunch of cash into the thing when it's off warranty. I haven't resorted to the "Golf over my dead body" tactic yet but I might have to go there!

Eastside
    Besides, we don't want to say so much bad stuff about the Golf, lest the "VW Hawk" comes swooping down upon us to chide us on the error of our ways.

Meade
  • nikecarnikecar Posts: 460
    I finally managed to wash our Pro after about a month (since it rains every day here) and because of the lack of care, it seems there was a bird poop or something that stained the paint on the roof.. And this after washing it almost every week or every other week. Now i'd look almost daily for any stains and was that section as needed, but this was the first all over wash... I'm so mad at myself... AAARRRGGGHHH... oh well... I shall be hitting the whole Wax/Polish route early September and get back to caring for it...

now both cars have at least one matching spot... how annoying.
    I've got some nice spots on my roof and trunk from a meager drizzle we had about a week ago. Just enough to spot the paint and bring some acid down from the oak trees above. Oh hell, this coat of Nu Finish has gone six months anyway. Time to get out the wax too.

I just don't know when I'm going to get to the trim on the house or repainting the front porch, when there are more important things to do like wash and vacuum the Protege every weekend!

Meade
    Isn't it time for somebody else to fly off the handle and bash their Protege?

Meade
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    Ok, I'll give it a shot...
    My damn Pro. It's nothing but trouble. It's been so good on gas that I don't have to go to the gas station all the time.
    When I go around corners tightly my stupid tires don't squeal and I don't feel like the car is gonna spin out of control.
    The damn A/C cools me off too fast. It always blows cold air! What's up with that?
    The darn engine makes me drive too fast. I'm always able to pass people and never have a problem going up hills! What a crappy little engine!
    And the brakes...oh don't get me started. I've already avoided a few accidents because of these poor brakes. With other brakes I could probably have a new car with the insurance money that I would have gotten from the wreckage.
    Never will I buy another Mazda product. I should have known better...My dad's '91 MPV that has over 350k KM on it is still going strong.

Stupid Protege...Too fun to drive. Sigh, guess I'll have to live with it.

Regards,

Protege_fan
  • dsgechodsgecho Posts: 89
    Can people give some eperiences with the 2001 Protege LX auto,cruise, on good hiway or city mileage with a light foot? I think I can do 30 in the city and 35-37 hiway[cruise,62-63 mph] with careful driving but want tot know people's experiences. Thanks in advance!
    New owner, obviously.
    Don Gillespie
    Great one!

Meade