Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I would define "smooth" as the ability of the engine to rev and carry the car without really letting you know (by sound) how fast you are going. Sometimes even though the tachometer says xx00rpm, it might not feel like that.

For instance, the VW I have now is alot smoother than the Protege, even though the engine is smaller (although turbocharged, it's 1.8 vs. 2.0). At 70mph running 3200 rpm, it doesn't feel nearly as buzzy as the Protege's 2.0 did. And also, returns just about the same fuel economy if not better (regular or premium gas, I have used both in it).
  • mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Hi Paul.

Meade
  • newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I believe that issue is being addressed with the new Mazda 2.3L. It will definately have more power but I don't know how good it will "rev". I believe one of the best engines in this respect is VW's VR6. It has good low end torque, no turbo lag, and it pulls like a freight train ALL the way to redline.
  • dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    is the V6 on Maximas! What a great engine!

Smooth can be the 1999+ Accords.

Smooth is not how I would describe the PRO. But in the class that it is, how can we expect smooth? I love it neverthess. It has good power in the city and can accelerate on the highway (60mph to 100mph) fairly fast too. The engine doesn't like to rev, but it doesn't mean it's a bad car. It's just a different power band.

Personally I don't care for a smooth engine in a car of the PROs price. In a more expensive Accord, I would care for it.

Dinu
    I drove a 1.8T and I thought it wasn't very smooth. I was expecting better since they use this engine in Audis. The power delivery is definately NOT smooth in the 1.8T. That little hesitation while the turbo spools is kinda annoying IMO.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Is a cold Protege 2.0L engine with VTCS.

Hehehe...kinda embarrassing in the morning when the neighbor is outside.
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Now you've all just said "smooth" about 100 times (hyperbole), but only Vocus has given any sort of definition. Is Vocus's definition THE definition of "smooth" then?
    Compared to the 2000 ES, the 1992 LX (top of the line then) had the following features as standard equipment on the top model:

Four-wheel disc brakes
    Lighted ring around ignition switch
    Locking glovebox
    Lockable rear seatbacks
    Lock-out trunk release with valet key for doors & ignition only
    Rear seat ashtray (on back of center console)
    Fold-down center rear seat armrest
    Static-dissipating buttons on doors (no shocks!)
    Low washer fluid indicator on dash
    Map lights (in addition to interior dome light)
    SEPARATE clock (not part of stereo)
    Safety lights in the doors (red and white; alerted traffic if you opened your door on the shoulder of the highway)

Losing all those features, I gained the following that the 2000 ES has that the 1992 LX didn't:

Driver and passenger air bags
    Keyless entry
    CD player (in place of cassette)
    Larger interior
    Dimming-out interior light
    Standard alloy wheels (optional on 1992 top-of-the-line LX)

I guess it all comes down to what's important. Of course, I wish I could have it all!

Meade
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    is when you rev it up, there is only one 'sound' coming from the engine, sort of like 'Vrroooooooooooooooooooooooom'.

and a not-so-smooth engine would sound like, 'vrrrwhwhahwhahwahwahblablablabla', a lot of different 'noises' creeping up when revving high.

kinda like that GTI vs H-car flash video! LOL
    Baaaah baaaahhhh boomdeboomdebaaahhhhh de baaahhh de baaaahhh de bweeeeeeEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!

(We've got the link on the Yahoo! group if anyone needs a fix.)

Meade
    At low speeds (below 2000 rpm) it can be jerky sometimes, but it's still smoother overall than the 2.0 Protege engine, I think. I drive mostly on the highway though, so the little city hesitation I put up with is fine with me.
    Most of that stuff has been put back into the 2001 models though. You should have waited a year. :) Of course, you would have had to deal with the crappy sound system though. :)

How does the sound system in your wife's 2002 P5 compare to the one in your 2000 ES?
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Member Posts: 1,696
    you gave me a laugh today. Thanks. It's always funny to see a sound typed out.
    Of course my definition is right about the word "smooth". I am always right. :) Just kidding.
    How was I supposed to know in May 2000 that that stuff was going to be put BACK in the 2001 models? Besides, I don't care for the cheaped-down look of the front of the 2001s, nor do I like the crease they put in the hood of the 2001s and carried down into the front bumper. My hood is nice and smooth -- the newer ones look like the car was built in left and right halves and welded together in the middle. I also like my alloys better.

OH! Doggone it, that's one other thing the 2000 has over the 1992. On the top-of-the-line 1992, alloys were optional. Now they're standard.

And oops, I forgot to add disc brakes in the 1992s! Let's see if I still have time to go back and edit that post.

Great. I did. I added those few things. Thanks for unintentionally jogging my memory, Paul!

Meade
    Not that the rear disc matters, right meade?
    But dammit, that low washer fluid light was great!

(I actually mean that! How many times have you gone to use your washers only to find that they're empty? I really liked that feature!)

Meade

P.S. Paul, since we have "quality time" when we're in my wife's car together, I haven't really had the chance to test the stereo yet. But I have a theory for people who've said the P5's sound system lacks low end -- of course it does! The sedan has a more-or-less sealed trunk to act as a bass reflex enclosure! The P5 only has that particle-board-covered-with-fuzz cover to separate the under-hatch area from the passenger compartment. Nowhere near as good bass there!
  • boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Since there are no speakers in the hatch area on a P5, it wouldn't matter anyway. The rear speakers in a P5 are in the rear doors.
    And boggse ... did you read my answer to your question about features from 1992 left off in 2000? Quite a list huh?

Meade
    I'm the opposite of Meade. I like the '01 redesigned hood and grill. I don't have the alloys so I can't say which I like better. If I were to get em, I'd get em aftermarket anyway.

And what do you mean "cheaped-down look" of the front of the '01's?
    You definitely should have waited a year for the features they added back in. What was Mazda thinking for 2000? Personally, I prefer the 2001 front end, but that may be because that is when I started noticing the Protege again. Do you really let people smoke in the back seat of your PRO?!
    because the '00s had a nice, attractive chrome piece across the radiator grille that picked up on the shinyness of the alloys and the interior chrome trim pieces. I also like the amber corner lights. The front-end appearance of the new Proteges is monochromatic and monotonous to me.

Remember, these are my opinions. Don't get all over me for stating them. And you're welcome to yours too.

Meade
    But that ashtray did provide a welcome depository for gum wrappers and other trash. There's NOTHING there now for rear-seat passengers. By the way, if you'll look on the backside of your center console (where it faces the back seat), you'll see a panel for such an ashtray. It made a great mounting point for my VHF radio speaker.

Meade
    I see...the chrome piece is still there in the LX. Take a look at the pic of the front of my Pro in the Yahoo group. Almost the same. I actually like the new symbol too....but I think I remember you saying that you didn't like that either.
    I like it even better incorporated into that chrome piece as it was in 2000. And speaking of that chrome piece still being there, it isn't -- at least in the U.S. ESs. It's been blacked out, if I'm not mistaken.

And about that crease in the hood -- I think I'd be more fond of it if Mazda had continued that theme into the roofline. To me it just looks out of place.

Meade
    If you look at the link of of the Protege FAQ that you posted this morning Meade, and then click on "Aesthetic Mods" and then "Parts Gallery" you can see that you can place a rear cup holder in that space. Pretty cool if you ask me...but it's like $200-300 CDN for the rear cup holder. AND when I asked the dealer about it, they had NO idea that it even existed, even though it's listed as an accessory for the '02 Protege sedans (www.mazda.ca).
    I know it's not in the ES...I said it's in the LX model...at least in Canada. And I meant you didn't like the '01 emblem as much as the '00.
    I have no problem with the emblem at all. Except that I like mine better.

Meade
    Let me mention the rear bumper on my wife's new Protege5. In carrying the "ground effect" theme through to the rear bumper, Mazda carved this little groove into the bumper near the bottom. And it's really hard to get your rag in there and clean out the dust and dirt that stick to the rear of the car (especially in our case -- her P5 is WHITE). Man, as if I didn't have enough car-wash stuff to keep up with, now I've got to bring the freakin' Q-TIPS out when I clean her car!!!
    "(Smooth)Is a cold Protege 2.0L engine with VTCS.

Hehehe...kinda embarrassing in the morning when the neighbor is outside."

VTCS? What exactly is that? I heard there is some ECU reprogramming fix that is supposed to get rid of the rough noise the engine makes when cold. I never really saw it as a problem as all of the 4 cylinder cars I've had made quite a racket when cold. If there is a Mazda fix for it though, I might have to look into it.
    Variable Tumble Control System

It's basically some flaps in the intake manifold that create a swirling effect. It's not an issue of anything being damaged, it's just annoying.
    I heard of "VICS" in my 2000, but I've never heard the "VTCS" acronym until now ...

Meade
    ... and this group definitely should be No. 1 tomorrow if this keeps up. More than 80 messages in about nine hours, LOL!

Meade
    I guess I am just not fascinated by shiny things. ;-) I suppose that is why I hate the chrome wheels everyone seems to want, and I prefer my black "chrome"(read shiny plastic) grille accent to the chrome colored chrome grille accent on the 2001 LX and 99-00 ES. BTW, why is it called a grille when referring to a car but a grill when referring to a cooking implement. Did the French invent the automobile grille?
    Our dealer tried to sell us the optional chrome alloys on our 2002 Protege5. (The standard wheels are the ES alloys.) We saw a couple of Protege5s out on the lot with those chromed wheels on them -- they looked like they had been ... uh ... what's the PC word for this ... "tokyo'd?"

Meade
    No idea.
    In terms of chrome, up here in Canada at least, they added a strip of chrome to the back of the trunk...right above where the key goes in. IMO, it looks U-G-L-Y!
    I don't see that rear chrome strip on your Yahoo! photos. I assume they've chromed that piece that the trunk keyhole passes through? Can you take a pic and post it on the Yahoo! group?

Different market variations interest me.

Meade
  • gandalf17gandalf17 Member Posts: 348
    To me, I find the 1.8L Pro engine quite smooth. I do not equate rpm and noise to engine smoothness. The engineer's can easily adjust the useable powerband for an engine and then sound dampen the engine body and car body to give a perception of smoothness. Using this equation, the Corolla would have the smoothest engine in it's class... does anyone feel the Corolla has a smooth engine? Just curious...

This is entirely a personal taste, but i equate smoothness to be an engine that revs freely, pulls the car fairly effortlessly to near redline and doesn't massively vibrate the car's chassis, steering wheel, and shifter. On these counts, the 1.8 Pro achieves all of them. Sure, it's buzzy at high rpm, but that has more to do with the engine power set-up than the engine itself. Throw a 6 spd shifter in the car, tweak the gear ratio's and powerband and voila, mission accomplished.

Mdaffron, glad to know you saved the VW SR6 vs. a Honda Very "nice" car link for your Yahoo chat. Good to know also that some sights are not so absurdly full of PC nonsense.

P.S.- we have the 2000, but I really like the look of the logo, front grille and creased hood on the 2001/2002's. To me at least, they give the Pro a far more masculine and imposing look. It looks sportier. I also love the 3 prong steering wheels in the new car's. I would love to have all of the changes in the 2001/2002 model year, but just keep the 1.8L in the car. Oh yeah, or the turbo 1.8L.....gotta dream....
    yes, you're right, the chrome thing over the back trunk is uglier than sin. It makes it look like the back of the Focus and Civic sedan.. it's the one new thing i hate about the 2002's.
    It's on the '02 Pro's...Mine is an '01. Did I screw that up in my post? Oops if I did.
    I didn't know they made some aesthetic changes in the '02s -- I guess we've just been so wrapped up with the new P5 (which doesn't have that chrome accent, BTW).

Meade
    I think just the 2002's.....i could be wrong. ugly just the same.
    The International Truck and Auto Show starts tomorrow (Wed. Mar 13, 2002) here in Calgary. I can't go :( , but thought others in the area (read: Duh_ster) may be interested in going.
  • duh_sterduh_ster Member Posts: 102
    yea, i got an add in the mail to attend the car show. i went last year to the one in edmonton...which is where i sat in my FIRST PRO! that was the day that i decided to get a pro...funny, how i bought one that was the exact make, model and COLOR as the one at the car show! i probably won't go this year though...mostly because seeing the new features in the pro (body colored side mirrors, 3 spoke wheel, different "PROTEGE" emblem) makes me regret buying a 2001 and not a 2002! BUT...seeing the back end of a '02 makes me GLAD i got an '01 (that chrome is terrible...) :)

'duh'
    Aren't the mirrors on your ES body coloured? I also don't like the new Protege emblem (the one that says "Protege")...I like the classic one on the '01 and previous models.

I'm gonna try to photoshop the rear-end pic of my car so that it looks like it has the chrome on it...just so people can see it and decide what they think. I've been looking for a pic on the web of the '02's rear, but can't find one!!
    nope...mine aren't body colored...they DO match the car though..since both are black. but, the mirrors are more of a "matte" black.

i couldn't find a picture either...this guy at work drives a white one...sorry...no digital camera!
    I don't have photoshop here at work and it's too hard trying to do it w/ MS Paint. Just imagine it people....right along the same strip that the key hole for the trunk...that is a shiny silver chrome.
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Proteges came out with body side color mirrors. My 01 LX 2.0 Protege has colored side mirrors, looks nice. I also don't like the 02's emblem, too big.
    Duh: Every year Mazda tweaks the new model. I bought my Protege in Sept(prior to 9/11), when Mazda was offering 0% for 48 and free alloys and moonroof. The tragic events of 9/11 seemed to keep the incentives for the 02 model. I thought the 02 Protege wouldn't have free financing so soon.

Pjd58
    i probably JUST missed the body colored mirror '01s!!! i bought my pro in august 01!!!
  • chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    ...don't you all have jobs???

What smooth ISN'T:

A Cavalier.