Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
  • Options
    dsm6dsm6 Member Posts: 813
    I was going to pick up one used as a third car, until I sat in one. I'm 6' 1" as well. I don't even come close to fitting in one. My knees were crammed between the steering wheel and door on one side, steering wheel and console on the other. I could only drive with the top up, and I couldn't drive with a shoe on my left foot if I wanted to fit my foot between the clutch peddle (wouldn't thing of driving a Miata without one) and the side of the foot well.

Oh well.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    But I have yet to find one I can fit into.
  • Options
    shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    Heheh, same thing for me. However My eyes are over the top of the windshield and I have to use my right arm to close the door because the shoulder room is so tight. (sigh)
  • Options
    My eyes were at the top of the windshield, conveniently obstructing my view - I meant I could only drive with the top down. I forgot about the shoulder room issue.

You mean the engineers didn't have 6' plus guys in mind when they designed the Miata? No wonder Mazda is having problems selling cars. ;-)
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    why did u ask me if I drive a cab?

curious.
  • Options
    It's funny how different people of same heights are built. I'm 6'-1 and have no problem getting in my Pro5 with a sunroof. In fact I have room to spare.

Now the Miata gets a bit cramped in the legs and head, but niether are bad enough to keep me from wanting one.

Maybe I slouch, I don't know, but I'm feeling lucky right now that I can fit while all you peoples can't.
  • Options
    just fine. I too have a sunroof, and have a bit of room to spare, though not alot. The Pro is pretty big for being pretty small.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    My friend is 6'4 and I am 6'2. He can fit in his car (a 94 Cougar) with no problem, but with the seat in the same place, I touch the headliner. He also needs the seat all the way back in my Jetta when he drives, I use it one notch from all the way back.

I also fit fine in a sunroof-equipped Protege ES, because mine had the roof.

I guess it has to do with people who are the same height but have different measurements. For instance, my friend is longer of leg than I, but I am longer in the torso.
  • Options
    I have sat in both cars, and am incredibly cramped in both of them. The MR2 is very small with the top up, and claustrophobic to me. I have never sat in a Miata with the top up, but it's very small as well. I am 6'3 and about 260lbs. with a 32 inseam, BTW.
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    In my original post about my stinky car, I said,

"Other than nasty chemical sprays and weird cab-driver air fresheners, any suggestions?"

To which you responded:

"Just go to Walmart's auto section. They have a air-freshener with "NEW-CAR" fragrance. Try that out!!"

Which is exactly the kind of thing I try to avoid, no offense. I don't like those artifical air-fresheners, regardless of the smell: pine tree, bubble gum, new car, vanilla, etc. I always associate those with riding in cabs.

Not that I have anything against cabs or the people who drive them. I just ran the numbers, and before I got my license and my Protege, I would say that a very conservative estimate of the number of cab rides I have taken in my life is 3,000. Most of those guys were very polite, a few were jerks, and the rest were indifferent.

Let's just say that I'm very glad those days are behind me, and I'm not anxious to re-create a cab-like environment in my own car.

:):)

--Dale
  • Options
    You get rid of the smell yet? Try some Febreeze and see if that works. I don't know if that Oxy-Clean stuff does anything for smells, it does work good on stains though.

Did you ever use any on your Coke-stained floormat?
  • Options
    The smell was somewhat diminished today...haven't made it to the store yet to buy any baking soda.

And no, the Coke stains are still there...... :)
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    Wil contacted both Mazda USA and the local dealer about MAPP, and none of them thus far has any responses.

Guesss they don't want to support current owners if they're not making $$ off of them :(
  • Options
    stop to think that they may not quite be sure how to handle such a request.

What did he say in his request? "We have lots of people coming to a picnic so give us free stuff."

I would think, that given the proper request, along with information about what the group does, then either Mazda NA or a local dealer would be willing to do something. It just might take some time to convince and maybe by next time you'd be amazed at what they do.

Edit: Yeah, I forgot about Zoom Zoom Magazine as mentioned in a later post. I bet they would definitely want something for that. Just have to get to the right people.
  • Options
    I would think that they would want very much so to do a story for their "Zoom-Zoom" magazine. Maybe the right person hasn't been alerted for that.
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    I would think this'll make for great Zoom Zoom Magazine publicity.

hmm, how can I make the correct contacts? maltb???
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    send me an e-mail
  • Options
    Dude, your birthday was last week, and we missed it. I'm really sorry.

Happy belated!
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    How'd you know? Thanks! :)
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    She has memorized every post to date.
  • Options
    mpynempyne Member Posts: 120
    just curious what dealers are selling them for?
    are they giving discounts with the 0% financing?

chicagopro- regarding coke stains,

try meguiars "all purpose cleaner plus".
    ketone.com and do a product search for it

this stuff is super concetrated and can be used for carpet engine etc... this stuff works great!!!
  • Options
    Thanks for the Meguiar's suggestion.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Now that Dale's alerted us. ;)
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    Meade wrote: "we'll compare "cheek sizes" when we see each other again". I'm not sure what you and Paul plan as extra-curricular activities, but please don't corrupt innocent young minds like that :)

Dale: I know I'm not a moron, even though Meade wants to think so. For your car smell: There is a carpet-cleaning powder that you put on carpets, leave for some time on and then vacuum it. The smell goes away and your car smells like (insert fruit name here).

Todd: Happy B-Day dude!
  • Options
    I'm glad you know you're not a moron.

Thanks for the carpet cleaning suggestion.
  • Options
    ...will be relieved to know that I put an open box of baking soda in the car last night.

(Yes, I'll try to remember to put it in a bag or something before I zoom into rush hour traffic...)

I'll let you know how it works.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    ... Glade Plug-Ins for cigarette lighter sockets ...

MY IDEA! I HAD IT FIRST!

Meade

P.S. HBD Todd!

P.P.S. You're still a moron, Dinu!!! :D
  • Options
    - Virginia
    - Maryland
    - Delaware
    - Pennsylvania
    - North Carolina
    - Tennessee
    - New Jersey
    - Connecticut (!)
    - Minnesota (!)

And 44 Proteges! Wow ...

Meade
  • Options
    With all those cars in one place don't you guys be forgettin' which car is yours and getting in the wrong one.

Poor Valet.

Meade: "I'm in the Protege"

Valet: "AAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHH"
  • Options
    Maltb, Wil and Hank et al ...

I just located, via the web, the marketing and advertising firm that handles the account for Mazda North America. I thought they might be a good "back door" for getting word to Mazda about MAPP IV.

I write press releases for a living. If you guys want, I can write up a press release and e-mail it to you; we can then fax or e-mail it (if maltb can get Mazda NA's fax/e-mail info) to both organizations. Whaddaya say?

Meade
  • Options
    Maybe we can finally find one person's key fob that unlocks TWO cars!!!

(I'm sure I'm not the ONLY one who's walked up to a strange Protege in a parking lot and tried my emergency horn button .... ?)

Meade
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Arm & Hammer has boxes that have a cutout in the cardboard which, when removed, exposes a plastic film that is permeable to air & moisture, but not the baking soda inside. That way you can zoom all you want without having to worry about spillage.
  • Options
    ;-)
  • Options
    Wrap that box of baking soda in something before you go through the "fun turn of the day". I hate to see baking soda all thrown around the car like we almost were. :) Just kidding.
  • Options
    Happy belated Birthday, sorry we missed it. Best wishes and many more! :)
  • Options
    Meade-where in MN is that person coming from? Are they driving? That's quite a trip for a picnic.
  • Options
    You are in MN as well, right? Maybe you all can caravan or something. :)

I went to this event this past weekend, and a bunch of us caravaned from Baltimore to Southern MD. Looked funny to see like 15 of the same kinda car on the road at once. :)
  • Options
    It's one Michael Wagner from Rochester, MN.

Meade
  • Options
    As it happens, that's the kind of box of baking soda I got...wasn't sure I could risk the zooming though. Thanks for the heads up.

And I promise not to say ANYthing else about baking soda for the rest of the day.
  • Options
    Yeah. Right.

You'd BETTER be answering my e-mail, after all the grief you gave me about not responding to your incessant pestering.

Meade

P.S. The home page over "there" now features an image in your car's honor.
  • Options
    I've driven out east 4 times and it's quite a hike. Those hills in PA and VA are killers. That's a good 2 days worth of driving. I've done the trip without stopping to sleep, but I don't know if I'd do that again.
  • Options
    It'd be cool to meet you!

Then you can get home and rub in Dale's face that you didn't wuss out and FLY here like she did!

If you haven't already, check out the page:

http://www.protegenetwork.org/chapters/DC/mapp4.htm

There are pics from the previous three MAPPs there as well. (Thanks Wil)

Meade
  • Options
    You troublemaker you! :) (Just kidding)
  • Options
    Where we listed registered attendees and their cars:

(snip)

Meade Daffron, Richmond VA ... 2000 ES
    David Brook, Danbury CT ...... 2000 DX
    Dale Ray, Chicago IL ......... Boeing 737-300

Hee hee ...

Meade
  • Options
    Yes, I do remember reading that. I had a VW on the list though... :)
  • Options
    My friend finally decided what car he wanted (choices were Elantra, Sentra, Protege, Rio). He got a 2001 Elantra automatic with only 21.5K on it for $7995. The car is a base model (but they are loaded), and in good condition. I drove it with him yesterday, and found out it needs an alignment and tires balanced, but that's it.

I wanted him to go look at the Protege, but he wanted the most for his money with the most warranty. The Elantra has 10K more warranty, had more equipment (this was a DX Protege), more power (2.0 vs. 1.6), and $1000 cheaper.

I hope he is happy with his decision. He did keep talking about how he liked my 99 DX alot when I had it, but he wanted to spend at lwast as possible like I said.
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Had more power out of a 1.6L engine?

Did he get an auto or manual?
  • Options
    No, the Pro DX had the 1.6 w/105hp, the Elantra has a 2.0 with 140hp. He got automatic, I wrote that.

Pay attention, Mike! :)
  • Options
    Sorry, once bitten twice shy. Been a Hyundai owner. OK car (nothing to write home about though), but mediocre quality. Very average feeling. Kinda like my wife's old Crapalier -- just very boringly satisfying.

IMHO, as a former owner.

(Plus you're treated like dirt when you go in for service since you're the bottom rung on the car ladder -- and believe me, you feel it while you're sitting on your torn 1960s naugahyde couch in the waiting area, sipping your weak coffee you had to buy from a machine, reading the two-year-old issues of "Woman's Day" with torn-off covers on them. Hey, like I said ... been there done that!)

I think I best enjoy the remark made to a prospective purchaser by an owner over on the Hyundai Santa Fe discussion not too long ago. ... "Be glad you've got that warranty, because you'll be using it."

Meade