Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
    We'd just been having some pretty humid weather the last week or so, and I was finding that the windows were still getting kind of fogged even with the selector thingy on 'fresh air.'
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    You're lucky. Most of us here could get in trouble for spending too much time on Edmunds while at work. For you, it's always work related.
  • Options
    thelthel Member Posts: 767
    Hello there. I'm going in Monday to look at a used MP3 at one of the local used car lots. It has been sitting around on the lot for a long time (since this summer). It appears that the MP3 player has been stolen. The dash appears to me scuffed up some but not too bad. I have no idea how many miles it has or what the general condition of the car is. How much should I deduct from the value of the car (provided that the mechanicals all check out)?

Thanks for any help.
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    and the mp3 player is missing (assuming the speakers/subs are still there), that means you'll need to get one yourself.

and if the console is scratched up, deduct even more.

I'd say just a click over 10,000 would be your starting offer, or whatever TMV a regular 2001 ES is selling for, add a couple hundred bucks over that, see if they'll deal
  • Options
    plaanktonplaankton Member Posts: 5
    MSN's Daniel Heraud has done a review of the ~Proteg'e~ What is up with this assessment #1 Sympathetic Looks....... What does he mean? Sympathetic looks.. I do not have a clue. Does he feel like crying?I know he is a Tech weenie to the nth degree but what is sympathetic looks? He also gives the corolla the same LOOK..So I will cry a river of tears until I find out what the the heck is up with that..THANKS
  • Options
    axjokeaxjoke Member Posts: 13
    I managed to get 40,000 miles out of the stock potenzas.. but at the last oil change i was warned that they are cupping and need replaced. I believe a few people on here have switched from 195/55/15 to 205/55-50/15.

I don't remember anybody mentioning new wheels.. does the wider 205's still fit on the stock wheels? Also is there a way to adjust the speedometer for the taller 205/55/15 tires?

much thanks,
    axjoke
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    everyone, especially those who won't be back until Dec 30 or Jan.2, if you have already left -- Happy New Year!

Dale, when the windows fog up try the setting at Windshield/Face and the AC comes on automatically, but the AC light doesn't glow. Then dial in a little higher heat setting to keep warm. It's different than on summer days after it rains, when you turn on the AC and add heat.

Keeping the fan speed at 2 (it has to be on #2 for the AC to work) shouldn't affect your fuel economy much, above 2 it might since it has to run faster. In Chicago and Alberta you have to do whatever works best to keep warm. ;)

axjoke: I think they used the wheels they had on their cars.

fowler3
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I wish hanging out in Edmunds was part of my job description, but not even close. I post here as myself and not my employer (I'm sure their views and tact would be much different). So with that, I too fear the day when the boss calls me in and asks why I have made 50 hits to http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com every day for the last 2 years.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You can use 205/50/15s on the stock wheels. That's what pretty much everyone has done.
  • Options
    Just tell your boss that you are going above and beyond your job description. If it wasn't for you, I would have never had a Mazda strut tower bar.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    And nice song Dale. I hope you won't mind, but I copied it for posterity (or until my hard drive crashes). :)

And yes, I hate reading patents too. It's a lot easier with the diagrams though. I think you can download PDFs of recent patents at the USPTO web site.
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    James, I hope this helps?

"I believe a few people on here have switched from 195/55/15 to 205/55-50/15?"

I know of at least 5 owners of a 1999 or 2000 Mazda Protegé that have switched to 205/55/15 or 205/50/15 tires.

"don't remember anybody mentioning new wheels.. does the wider 205's still fit on the stock wheels?"

Both the 205/50/15 and 205/55/15 fit the stock 1999 & 2000 PRO-ES and LX wheel.

Also is there a way to adjust the speedometer for the taller 205/55/15 tires?

No, however the differences are slight.http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm

Respectfully,
    Larry
  • Options
    Tire size 195/55/R15:

Stock tire width is 7.6771 inches.

Stock tire thickness is 4.224 inches.

Stock tire diameter is 23.444 inches.

When your speedometer indicates 55 MPH, you would actually be travelling 55 MPH.

Tire size 205/55/R15:

Stock tire width is 8.0708 inches.

Stock tire thickness is 4.4389 inches.

Stock tire diameter is 23.877 inches.

When your speedometer indicates 55 MPH, you would actually be travelling 56.015 MPH.

Tire size 205/50/R15:

Stock tire width is 8.0708 inches.

Stock tire thickness is 4.0354 inches.

Stock tire diameter is 23.070 inches.

When your speedometer indicates 55 MPH, you would actually be travelling 54.122 MPH.

http://www.paspeedo.com/calculator.htm

• Options
    Mine's at about 3700 rpm....
  • Options
    Larry and Paul... As always you guys and the the posters on this page helped me out!

Thanks again,
    James
  • Options
    No problem. My wife and I both are running 205/55/R15 Goodyear T/A's on our 2000 PRO-ES sedans for 10,000+ miles. No problems and they look much better than the stock 195/55/R15 tires. The Goodies also have much better wet weather take-off and stopping ability than the OEM Bridgestone tires.

Meade Daffron, a regular here has switched his 2000 PRO-ES sedan to the 205/5O/R15 Dunlaps and he has had no problems with fitment and he loves the Dunlaps.

-larry
  • Options
    the Twin Cities. I saw a green 99 or 00 ES Protege with Virginia plates yesterday at Best Buy in Bloomington. Meade, are you here? There can't be that many green Proteges in Virginia.
  • Options
    what the heck is a southern'r like meade doing up in snow country?!?!??
  • Options
    His plates are his "call name" from his HAM radio, I know that. Also, his username on Yahoo.
  • Options
    I don't recall what the plates had on them. I know they were from Virginia though....
  • Options
    Didn't Meade tell you?

He and his family are coming to spend the holidays with you!

Have fun!!!
  • Options
    I think I'll go see my relatives in Chicago then for the Holidays......
  • Options
    danpearsondanpearson Member Posts: 12
    I just bought (about two weeks ago) a silver 2002 Mazda Protege ES with 7,500 miles for $13,000. Also has the option package (ABS, side airbags). I looked at the Neon R/T (couldn't find any used/leftover), a Honda Civic (very close but liked the Mazda look/feel better), Sentra etc. I'm very happy with the Protege so far and look forward to driving it for a long while.
  • Options
    krotinekrotine Member Posts: 93
    a million times before... Happy Holidays!

Hope to see everyone back on here after the holidays.

-- Jason
  • Options
    Jason, have a great vacation!
  • Options
    please post any questions you have about your Protege, we have plenty of knowledgable people here to help!
  • Options
    protegextwo...

I ended up buying 4 of the 205/55/15's. They were the Dunlop SP 5000's. Hopefully a good tire.. i had it narrowed down to these and the Dunlop SP A2's and the BFG's AT... spent 20 minutes at Tire discount and finally settled on the S 5000. I'll let you guys now if this tires suck.. probably wont' praise them much if they are good.. ;)

Thanks again,
    James
  • Options
    tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    The sp5000's were my second choice. I bought 205/55-15 Bridgestone s-03 pole position's. Love 'em.
  • Options
    Ask us about disc brakes.

ho ho ho
  • Options
    dinu01dinu01 Member Posts: 2,586
    ABS
    oil
    spoilers
    strut bars
    colours
    radios

but definitely ask if disc or drums are better.

Dinu
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    Disc are cooler figuratively/literally. But no better on the rear than an ample sized drum on a light car like the Protege.
  • Options
    You honestly think that?

We've been through this discussion, so I will not comment again, but I must say discs are better IMO.

Dinu
  • Options
    I love drum sticks (especially from our Christmas goose) better, than the music disc (prolly a stupid Christmas cd) my sister will buy me. ;-)

Merry Christmas to all!
    from Larry, Trudy and LJ
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I think he said that discs were always better .. just not NECESSARY in the Protege.
  • Options
    Happy Holidays!
    Merry X-mas!
    Happy New Year! (in advance)

All the best to you, your loved ones and your Proteges!

Dinu
  • Options
    Better..sure. Necessary no. I mean why would discs be required for a Protege but not even be available for a much larger MPV or Tribute or even the B-series which is designed to carry loads. Obviously the drums are just as reliable and safe as a disc under these circumstances or Mazda would have spec'd discs.
  • Options
    patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    heh.

Good try Larry.

Merry Christmas to those who celebrate it -- and peace and comfort to all, no matter what you choose to observe this time of year.

(and please no more brakes, please no more brakes, PLEASE no more BRAKES!!)
  • Options
    I'm "breaking" my mind trying to figure out what you mean. Are you asking to get a break from brakes?

Dinu
  • Options
    I wonder if we are missing out on a discovery if we put the brakes on a topic that seems to be against the rules. Anyone care to patronize?

Merry Christmas Pat!
  • Options
    loiloi Member Posts: 3
    Hello everyone!

I have a '99 Protege ES 5 speeds. I bought it brand new and the car ran fine until in the last couple of month. I've noticed that when I was at about 65 mph and when I floored the gas pedal to pass somebody, the gear would kicked itself into neutral. This happened more often if I were to go up hill. I took the car to the dealer and the repair guy couldn't simulate the event. Any suggestions? Thank you.
  • Options
    Happy and healthy holidays to all!
  • Options
    anonymouspostsanonymousposts Member Posts: 3,802
    I'm gonna enjoy my break from work and take a break from Edmunds and go cook Christmas dinner where I will inevitably break a few things.

Merry Christmas to ALL!
  • Options
    Sorry, no help here. I own a pair of Mazda Protegé with auto trannies.

-LK
  • Options
    Back at you Pat_Host and Dinu, I hope you and your loved ones had a great holiday! :-)

BTW, we got 10 inches of snow today in Lancaster, PA. I was going to join the rest of my family for Christmas dinner in Reading, PA. However, it started snowing about 7pm Christmas Eve and it is still snowing a little, as I type at 8:30pm EST Christmas Day. I love my family too much to risk a 30-mile drive in that kind of snowstorm! A true white Christmas, I guess we got to be careful on what we wish for? We invited our next-door neighbors over for an impromptu Christmas dinner and had a good time anyway!
  • Options
    It snowed here on Christmas Eve, but stopped after about 2" of acculuation on the cars, but none on the roads (here in Baltimore, MD anyway). Glad to have a white Christmas, as I don't ever remember having one (and I am 24). Hope everyone's holiday was wonderful and healthy. :)
  • Options
    Same to you Paul!

:-)

-larry
  • Options
    Everything looks nice, it's not cold and the major roads are clean, so indeed, a nice-looking Xmas.

Dinu
  • Options
    danpearsondanpearson Member Posts: 12
    >Ask us about disc brakes.
    >ho ho ho

Uh...I already read back a couple months so I think I'll skip that one, if it's all the same to you.

We (South Jersey) got a little snow Christmas Eve and a little more on Christmas but it's pretty much all gone today.

I love the car so far, especially the handling. I took a friend for a spin (he has an old 626 auto) and made him jealous for a manual Protege.
    -dan
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    everyone! Hope your day was special in some way. I see Larry's was, what a great idea. This holiday was over fast! Got too use to Christmas with a weekend. It was a great "brake" from routine. ;)

I spent the day with relatives and we had a great time. For dinner they had a buffet and we cooked beef tips in fondue pots. Too much wine, we got the fondue forks mixed up. Didn't matter.

Fortunately, the snow missed NC and my Pro got me there safely as usual. Love the cast iron block, it heats up fast. It was bitter cold when I left the party.

fowler3
  • Options
    It did get/stay warm. I remember that about ours.