Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    why does my ES exhibit such low power when it stays overnight in conditions less than 40F?

But after it warms up viz. the heater starts blowing hot air on my foot, the car runs fine.

But till then,...it's a dog... with the engine sounding horrible, resonating through the passenger cabin when u press the gas pedal to climb up the slightest of slopes....unwilling to rev.....

also since i have ur attention, i remember u once mentioning that the 99 ES has a ignition coil problem. What exactly did u mean?
  • protegextwoprotegextwo Posts: 1,265
    "Just curious, how are they defining "value"? Just curious if they are using MSRP, actual average transaction price, or something else."

Automotive Lease Guide, is a privately held company in Santa Barbara, California. ALG has been the benchmark for residual values in the United States and Canada for over 35 years and it's objective is to provide residual values to the Automotive Industry. Seminole_kev I'm sure you can e-mail them with any questions you might have. I guess, I get a little hissed off when folks without the correct info make off the cuff statements of fiction and try to pass them as fact because they sit behind a monitor screen in an anonymous stupor. As you can see the 2001 Mazda Protege is projected to have average depreciation/residual value.

-love train
  • vocusvocus Posts: 7,777
    I wanna come, but it's not going to be as fun without Larry coming to the picnic as well. And as far as dates, I am not really flexible either. I am out of town for Memorial Day weekend, and for the first weekend in May as well.
  • chicagoprochicagopro Posts: 1,009
    (sorry, buddy, it had been a few days)
    You posted the same thing one more time as you did before.

I am just glad I am at the top of that value equation now though. :)
  • protege_fanprotege_fan Posts: 2,405
    So you finally pop out of the woodwork, and what do you do? Sigh...some things never change :P
  • seminole_kevseminole_kev Posts: 1,722
    No I understand. I wasn't trying to be a jerk ;-) Just was hoping they were using MSRP for "value". If so then my Focus, and your Proteges would be doing pretty darn good. Glad you ran across that link. Now if they were using actual, what you paid for it prices, then we're hurting a little more.
    Excuse me, but I'm going to be there...and we all know how much fun I am. (well, you don't, really, but trust me)

Hope to see you there.
    Paul, I deleted the originals.
    Interesting info on the values....I'm surprised the Impreza doesn't hold its value better. They are rare commodities around here. Actually, Just saw a used WRX in the paper for $33K (regular $36K). I'll bet it gets snapped up fast!

The dealers here are selling lease returned LX Pros for near MSRP...what are they thinking?
    Hey, I was really nice about your ankle and all, wasn't I? (and you never told us whether your team won)

Actually, I agree with you about the Pro's pedals being small.

And my cousin told me he takes off his shoes when he drives his Protege so that he can find the pedals.
    Using the price I paid, I lost 31.5% from my trade in 8 months, but I had higher than usual mileage too. Using MSRP, it would be something like 38%. That's still kinda high.

I could have traded my current car in a couple weeks ago for $21K, I was told. At that price, I would have lost only 12% or so in 5 months. Based on MSRP, it would have been 18% or so.
  • chikoochikoo Posts: 3,008
    323:
    the steering (too light and rubbery)
    not designed with enthusiastic driver in mind.

MP3:
    The suspensions setup is not very stiff, allowing a smooth ride without ruining body control

This makes sense.
    A person who think the MP3 is not STIFF, is certainly going to think the PRO ES has soft suspension...LOL
    "No I understand.
    I wasn't trying to be a jerk ;-)"
    by seminole_kev

I hear ya, I hope my response to your question didn't come off as flippant. I understand you were just trying to clarify the term for "value". :-)

-Larry
    Yes you were kind about the ankle Dale, thanks again.
    There's a reason why I didn't tell you who won :(
    Dang...that's too bad that you lost...what happened? Couldn't you kee.........

Oh, I kill myself sometimes.....

;)
    "Interesting info on the values..."
    by protege_fan

I hear ya Michael, prolly the most supprising is the Saturn SL2 ranking in the top third.
    -Larry
    No kidding. I don't get it...I was just looking at used cars for my Bro, and there are so many Saturn SL2s around, it's amazing! They're almost as prolific as the Pontiac Sunfire!
    I am surprised they have that high a resale value, but then again I am not. You have to remember, a Saturn is not going to have dents and dings because of the plastic body. It will look newer longer. Maybe that's why.
    Perhaps, the banks are more comfortable setting a higher residual on a vehicle not supported by $2000.00 cash back programs, or that some dealers might be tempted to cheap sell a Saturn for $50.00 over dealer invoice to meet an end of the month quota? Or, maybe because they only sell for MSRP?

-Larry
  • th83th83 Posts: 164
    Thanks for responding to the poll that I started. There seems to be quite a contrast in opinions when it comes to manual vs. automatic. In fact, I thought for a minute as I read through the posts that I had started a war, lol! I'm still not sure what I'm going to get but I am leaning towards a manual. Traffic in Charlotte may be pretty bad during rush hour but I really don't get stuck in it very often so a manual might not be so bad. I've got a week to think it over. Thanks again!

Implicit-I think you got a decent price on your car considering the options you chose. How do you like the Sport Automatic?
  • So it's true, then - you are what you drive.

(And I'm on my second 626.)
  • dinu01dinu01 Posts: 2,586
    I learned on an auto, but self-taught myself in one week 5spd as my mom's bf at the time and her went away to Mexico on a trip. So I took his Saturn and learned. Next car will be 5spd for sure. I like the power, the engine braking and the opportunity it creates to kick it one gear down and zoom past anyone (well almost).

Dinu

BTW: Happy Tuesday everyone!
  • curt3curt3 Posts: 101
    Hello folks,

I have placed my Protege for sale on EBAY. I would appreciate any comments or suggestions concerning the listing. Thanks!!

Here's the link:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=1824066855

• bpibpi Posts: 120
    Only three days ago you said, "This aside, the Protege is THE perfect car."
    But then you also said, "May I suggest that you buy a two-year-old Protege--they are out there for less than you think and it may acutally cost less than a fully-loaded Rio."
    Someone telling someone else to buy a 2-year-old Pro while dumping his own. Sounds like a Merrill Lynch stock analyst.
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    I test drove five Proteges and decided it was the beat car for the money, by far.

I meant to say, I test drove five Proteges and decided it was the BEST car for the money, by far.

That said, here's my two cents worth:

About Hertz cars: When I was first looking for a used car, I re-read Edmunds' article on that. I thought Edmunds had suggested that buyers try a rental because Hertz keeps their cars up and offers a warrenty or good return policy. On reading it again I was surprised that Edmunds did not say that at all. Quite the contrary.

Some buyers may do very well buying rentals, but generally, many do not. The car may have been a lemon when the rental agency bought it.

On cleaning dash crevaces and ducts: What bugs me are little white things stuck in the spaces between parts, such as the moveable ducts and the dash. I bought a nylon brush at AutoZone that does a great job of getting rid of that. It folds up for storage.

Manual vs AT: I've been driving for 56 years, both manual and in cars with Auto trannies. If you own a small car, and are young enough to enjoy it, by all means buy manual trannies. You get the best use out of the available powerband. It's great fun to shift and be in total control. The best drivers can shift just as smoothly as any auto-transmission and not make the ride uncomfortable for passengers. It takes practice! It takes a certain combination of hand and foot working together -- not popping the clutch.

A good driver can take passengers from point A to point B without them noticing whether the car is manual or AT and without having to brace themselves for curves and stops. Play at being at La Mans when alone in the car.

From 1973 to 1997, I bought small cars with manual trannies. And owned many in prior years in addition to (two cars) AT-equiped American cars. Both have their advantages.

About depreciation: I find it very interesting that the Audi dealer, in Greensboro, places Kelly Blue Book print-outs on the windows of traded-in Audis showing their market value. Yet, if you go in to trade they quote the NADA book for your car. KBB is well-known for overrating car values while the NADA book underrates them.

I have often found that dealers of competitive models will offer the same price for a trade as the dealer you bought the car from -- especially Honda dealers. So, if Hondas hold their value more than other cars why is the Honda dealer's offer the same as the others?

I have bought and traded many cars, one time being only $7.00 apart, and walked out. It's the principal.

For the person buying a Protege, don't buy a manual because most of the others did. Buy what is going to be most serviceable and easy for you to drive, depending on your circumstances getting to work and shopping. If you are going to spend a lot of time in first and second gear everyday, buy an AT. Cars are suppose to be fun, not labor-intensive. You will wear out the clutch very quickly at traffic lights.

fowler3
  • fowler3fowler3 Posts: 1,919
    If you trade for a manual tranny car and have never driven that way before, I hope you will get somebody to ride along and be your eyes on the road. Also, go out away from the city to practice the first few days. Find a big parking lot on a weekend to practice parking as well as shifting, away from other cars.

Head Southwest away from Northern Va into the countryside. Look for less-traveled roads.

Don't slip the clutch!

fowler3
  • the_big_hthe_big_h Posts: 1,583
    love it too much to let it go so soon :-)

although I am planning to get a 2nd car as my competition car (eg RWD, manual). Nissan 240SX is what I've searching for lately :-)
  • frankpcbfrankpcb Posts: 27
    Jack Ingram Mazda in Montgomery, AL. has just ordered protege es's with 5 speeds in all colors, the sales manager told me today. He expects to have them on his lot in 10 days and they will have the premium package. If you are interested in them, ask for Peter, he handles their internet sales and they will honor carsdirect.com price for the protege with options as they did for me.