Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You are a LOT more patient and nice than I am. I would already be in jail for vandalism prolly...
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    If age doesn't show on our scalps, it certainly does a number on our opinions and the twisting of our own history. Kids will be kids and while their irresponsibility may be expressed differently than ours was, I don't think it makes them any worse. Yeah, it's a pain in the yass sometimes, but just remember that you (don't deny it) were there at one point.

I'm sure everything we all did as kids was totally legal...
  • Options
    protege_fanprotege_fan Member Posts: 2,405
    Not disagreeing with your point Meade, but why is it in the Protege area and not the Posse? Was this directed at a particular person?
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I know that neighborhoods where I live have gotten officers stationed around "problem" areas where people speed etc. It actually helps cut down on the speeding, excessive stereo noise etc. Nothing convinces people faster than hits to their wallets.
  • Options
    Nothing convinces people faster than hits to their wallets.

The officer that said that to me once never showed up to court.
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    Paranoid today?

I guess it should've been elsewhere. I've deleted it.

Meade
  • Options
    Not paranoid..just seemed like the timing of your message followed suit with the previous discussion.

Really...the martians aren't chasing me...really they aren't...are they?
  • Options
    I think it was Paul's day-old reference to his engine sounding "throatier" with the K&N filter that started my fuse; last night's symphony of swill was the last straw.

You were just here when the fecal matter struck the oscillator!

Meade
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    this is crazy....

one day the alternator is weak.
    the next day it is fine.

The day it is weak, i can feel the loss of power.
    The day it is fine, it is zoom zoom time.

How can I even take it to the Dealer.
    Chances are it is going to show up fine on his meter. Then what?

Any ideas what is really wrong with the alternator?
  • Options
    loose alternator belt?

wild guess, what do I know :-P
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    "I'm sure everything we all did as kids was totally legal..."

Wish I could say that. I was chatting with an old friend not long ago about all the things we did as kids -- things today's kids get hauled into court for. We talked for 90-minutes long distance laughing every one of them. That was before "sandlot" and "little league" anything, when kids had to find their own fun things to do.

Like the night we stole five cars. Well, not really steal them, they simply disappeared from a house where adults were having a party. The police found them in neighbors' yards and garages a couple blocks away.

fowler3
  • Options
    alternatoralternator Member Posts: 629
    After removing the old air filter, it's a good idea to vacuum out any solids inside the filter housing (sometimes you may even find small pebbles in there!) and then use a wet cloth to wipe the inside of the housing clean.
  • Options
    Yep, while I don't drag out the vacuum cleaner, I do wipe the filter housing out with a damp rag. Took about two minutes total. Also changed my wiper blades to those new Trico Teflon (did I say "silicone" the other day?!) blades. (I changed the whole blade assemblies, not just the inserts.) Man, I like their mounting adapters. Beats the heck out of Anco and everything else I've used! I don't remember this mounting design before -- maybe they've changed. You just snap up a little lever, slide the hook-shaped end of the wiper arm through, and snap it down. No little tiny clips to break (like they did on my Ancos, making me have to use a "zip tie" to hold my driver's side wiper on for the last 8 months), and no twisting and squeezing (and the associated cussing).

We'll see how these teflon toughies do in the rain this weekend.

Meade
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    "(sometimes you may even find small pebbles in there!)"

Sometimes you will find a stash of acorns or pet food. Sometimes the little rodents will also build a nice nest in your airbox out of whatever they can gather up. It's warm in there and rodents like it. I used to see that kind of stuff pretty often when I worked at J-lube.
  • Options
    >>>loose alternator belt? wild guess, what do I know :-P <<<

Anyone know how to check / tighten the alternator belt on the Pro ES?

How much tight should it be when Cold?
  • Options
    While I don't know the specifics on the Protege, I remember from my days working on a few cars with moonlighting mechanics that usually the belt should be tight enough that good thumb pressure only deflects it about a finger's width.

Usually you tighten the belt by adjusting the alternator on its bracket -- but you'll need a good prybar. I've always found it too difficult to do at home with my "normal" cache of tools -- find a good cheap shop somewhere and ask them to look at it.

How many miles are on your car and are you following your maintenance schedule for belt changes? (I usually change all the belts at 60,000 miles when the timing belt gets changed -- hmmm, since Mazda says I don't need to change my current timing belt until 105,000 miles, I don't know what I might do.)

Meade
  • Options
    Has anybody in a 3rd gen done a belt change yet? Any ideas on cost?
  • Options
    no maintenance done on the belts as of yet.
  • Options
    No belt maintenance ... nor brakes! Gettin' close (6 months or so) to the ol' 60K bigtime maintenance tho ...

Meade
  • Options
    man, mine must be VERY-low mileage, just broke 30k couple weeks ago, now at around 30700...

... need to change spark plugs asap... as well as wash/clean/re-oil air filter... :-D

... and change oil at 32k....

... but all this is on hold until i get the RX-7 taken care of ;-)
  • Options
    with our 2000 Proteges. In fact I think I just passed his mileage. Whatcha at now, Larry?

Don't worry, Hank. I've got a buddy who owns a 2000 ES as a second car. He's got about 18,000 miles on it.

Meade
  • Options
    chicagoprochicagopro Member Posts: 1,009
  • Options
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    is down to 8 Lives though.
  • Options
    Apparently Hello Kitty drowned in the Great Carwash Flood Fiasco of '01.
  • Options
    grrrrrrrrrrr.......
  • Options
    shriqueshrique Member Posts: 338
    A while back you had had issues with your ES and the shifter grinding when it was cold. I would like to get some information about the repair that was done. My dealership is balking at doing repairs until Mazda Technical Support tells them what to do. I'm going to try and call the Mazda support number but would like an example of a car that was fixed correctly. Please email me when you have a chance. My email is in my profile.

Thanks

Shrique
  • Options
    socraplat1socraplat1 Member Posts: 3
    I have a 2003 Protege Lx with about 2500 miles. Intermittent noise present when car is warm. Most noticeable going uphill and upon reacceleration after deceleration to about 20mph. Serviced 3x. On each occasion a service rep accompanied me when I test drove the car and heard the noise. They are convinced it is exhaust related and have either repaired or replaced the exhaust manifold heat insulator and exhaust manifold spring brakes.
    Service manager insists this noise is a first. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    You don't drive much, I assume. I have 54K on my 99 Protege.

My Pro's rear bumper is FINALLY fixed. I've just kept putting it off and putting it off, then it started leaking water in the trunk. I took the Pro in Monday, she's out today with a new 2000+ reinforcement, bumper cover, trunk alignment, and new paint job from the rear doors back. Pics will be up shortly along w/ my "Mazdaspeed" muffler, same one Hank has...
  • Options
    Can you describe the noise?
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    for test drive at the Mazda test drive event going on around the country. THAT might make it worth it to sign up.
  • Options
    all the Mazda cars except the RX-8 will be available for test drives at the Rev It Up events.

I believe they use the MSP for the slalom training course :-)
  • Options
    theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    Fart can! j/k...

Put in the mazdaspeed exhaust today. Not quite sold on the sound...right about 3K rpm it starts making this bumble bee sound that I'm not overly fond of. Bah. I guess the 1.6's engine note is a lot different than the 1.8 and 2.0.

On the other hand, the car's repairs look awesome. They painted from the end of the rear doors back. Looks flawless. Everything fits perfect too.
  • Options
    Looking good, Clint!

Glad you finally got everything fixed.
  • Options
    tomcivilettitomciviletti Member Posts: 207
    The computer controls the air/fuel mixture and the ignition timing. Anytime you change the engine tuning [such as a different air filter] disconnecting the battery causes the computer to reset thus adjusting to the new conditions you have created.

Now I must go wax my filter and get some1 to give me a jump.
  • Options
    http://www.densoiridium.com/dynocharts/dyno_graph1.jpg

This stock Civic Si experienced a 4 horsepower gain with the help of DENSO Iridium spark plugs!

http://www.densoiridium.com/dynochart.php?id=1
  • Options
  • Options
    boggseboggse Member Posts: 1,048
    Tom, you kill me...
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    Looks shiny as new!

And, my, what a shiny big exhaust tip you have!

:)
  • Options
    yeah, but what kind of gains did they get with new OEM plugs? I want to see a comparo that goes like this: Old OEM plugs, New OEM plugs, New Irridio-platinu-halogenium-kryptonite-Maltbarlium-20 electrode-super plugs.

Then I will believe.
  • Options
    My shop wouldn't even put NGK platinum plugs in my Protege. Said they were a waste of money, and caused more problems than they were worth.
  • Options
    I tried those New Irridio-platinu-halogenium-kryptonite-Maltbarlium-20 electrode-super plugs before. They easily gave me 30 hp on the butt dyno.

The Maltbarlium in them gave them added gas-power or something.
    :D
  • Options
    I thought they made exhaust upgrades. ;-)
  • Options
    I am sure my ES will move like a nuclear powered Rocket now :)
  • Options
    :-D
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Like the exhaust, but the tip is way too big for my taste.
  • Options
    I know that some of you have already heard about this, so you can just close your eyes.

About four weeks ago, I noticed my coolant reservoir was almost empty.

I added some more and it drank a little; I added some more, and then the level seemed to stabilize.

Now it seems to be going down again.

My dad says I should put sealer (sealant?) in the radiator.

What do you guys think?
  • Options
    what is it doing Dale?
  • Options
    meinradmeinrad Member Posts: 820
    I think you should take it to your dealer and have it checked.