Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    That's where I got my 2k ES. Not a lot of haggling since I had no trade. They had a 750 rebate and 2.9 financing. Paid 14k. Probably should have been lower, but I like the car and needed one quick. Have you had any experience with their service dept. yet? I haven't taken mine there but just the layout of it wasn't too impressive. Looks cramped and dirty and I think they changed service managers a couple of times since I bought mine(7/00).
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Malty, well my Pop taught me how to drive 26 years ago. He was and is a very conservative driver, always safety first. But, at 86 years old, he takes it as it comes! Nonetheless, I'm not sure he totally accepts passing on the right? Would he buy an Protege? No. However, he always drove very sharp and smart cars, and he appreciates the finer points of my 2000 PRO-ES.

BTW, the "Black Sea Bass", we catch on the East coast are not the same specie as the much larger Pacific Sea Bass captured off the coast of California. It is not unheard of to catch the 25 fish per limit of Black Sea Bass that swim off the Maryland, Delaware, and N.J. coast. I would love to tangle with a Pacific Sea Bass, I heard it can be neat, as the grow fairly large?

-Larry
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Stupid question here. How do you tell the difference between your two Proteges (without looking at the tag #) since they are the same color and all? Just curious.

I finally broke down and washed my car Wednesday, only to have it rain today. The last time before Wed. was Saturday a week before. It didn't rain once since then, but soon as I wash the darn thing it rains. I give up! Guess I am doomed to dirty ZOOMing. :)
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    That is a good question. A short answer: I keep mine cleaner, lol! We park them in our two car garage at night, she has her space and I have mine. We do switch the cars every couple of months to keep the mileage similar. BTW, she hates my radio presets and I hate hers, hehe! Yea, I just remembered one other thing. There is a very tiny door ding on the one titled in her name.

Larry
  • Options
    So you don't have them titled in both your names? I thought that was the law when you were married. Oh well, guess you learn something new every day. :)
  • Options
    nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    Do most people here do 3k oil and filter changes?
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    well i don't, i follow the gospel that is the owner's manual, which says 5000mi for severe driving conditions and 7500 for normal conditions.

of course if you get discount/free oil changes change away!
  • Options
    edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    Hollenhorst, looks like you have the best price sor far. I went 'dealin' today, haven't bought yet, but was offered an ES with add-on moonroof and air bags and auto for $15,527 (that's not the ES premium package as far as I understand but individual add ons). The salesrep said the moon roof was 'free so might as well get it'. I will have to agree that this is the most confusing rebate offer in history. First, no salesman has yet explained the rebates to me satisfactorily or mentioned it at all. The salesman making the offer just said that 'you got all the rebates you were supposed to'. He didn't show me the invoice yet, either. He said they were 'locked in a safe' and he couldn't get to them without going to his manager. Another place that I went to pretended like they did not know anything about the S plan, the sales mgr said 'well it's going to be about 1100 off the sticker'. When pressed to give a price they gave me a totally different one from the other guy. I then called Mazda customer service and they say it's a 1,000 on any car that 'does not have an ES package' no matter what esle it has and 500 if it has an ES package. I complained about the second dealer and they took his name down and said that they would look into it. I'm a little skeptical about this S plan deal . It looks like anyone can make a deal as good or better as Hollenhorst has proved already
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Hollenhorst used the S-plan. If you go to a dealer with your PIN and they tell you that they accept S-plan they should have no problem showing you the invoice. Just don't play games with the dealer on S-plan. They make very little and don't want to release low-ball price info unless they know you are serious. Remember that the s-plan price is a no-haggle deal. Give the dealer some respect, don't let them charge you for strange add-ons and it should be one of your best buying experiences.

:)
  • Options
    hollenhorst2hollenhorst2 Member Posts: 51
    fritz1224-- I haven't yet used C&L Mazda's Svc. Dept. I agree that it is a little on the small side, but that doesn't necessarily mean they don't do a good job. I really can't tell you anything one way or the other...

Edmund2460-- All I know for sure is that when I bought my ES with prem pkg, I got a $1,200 rebate--$500 for the general rebate and the $700 moonroof credit. There definitely still seems to be some confusion about what other trim levels qualify for what rebates, but according to what you were told by Mazda NA, if you get an ES without a moonroof, you'll only get a $500 rebate. Maltb, is this correct?

Also, maltb makes a good point. You definitely should have your PIN in hand so they will know you are serious about buying. You've already got the numbers from previous posts. Go into the dealer with all that, sit down with both the salesman and sales manager and run them through. While it may not come right out to the dollar, you should be able to get a deal close what I got mine for if they'll accept the S Plan. But remember, S Plan participation is voluntary.

The car you were given the offer of $15,527 on, if that includes ABS as well as the side airbags plus a moonroof, then that is a great deal, $100 less after rebates that what I got mine for! Technically, I do think you can get both ABS/side airbags and a moonroof as separate options, as opposed to getting them in the premium pkg (which also includes floormats). It still would be exactly the same car-just be sure all those options are listed on the window sticker. If so, I don't think you'll ever get a lower price than that.
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    “The problem is buying a gift for someone that buys everything they want. Grumpy old guys I tell ya! :)”

LOL. The way to do that is buy him something simple, inexpensive. Something he doesn’t have or can use, maybe to replace an item that is old.

Since he can afford most anything he wants buying an expensive gift may worry him. He may worry about your finances or what you are putting off buying for yourself.

It’s the thought that counts...especially late in life. How about a nice flashlight to carry in his car? Something like that, which is an item all of us should have for our Pro’s.;)

fowler3
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    In a previous post you were talking about calculating gas mileage and mentioned different methods. I usually reset my trip odo when I fill up with gas, and the next time I fill up I divide the miles by the amount of gas that I put in. What other methods are there? I would love to use a more accurate method as long as it is practical.
  • Options
    fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    No, being small isn't the total picture, but not being able to keep a service manager is worth noting. How many miles are on your car and have you had any service done yet?
  • Options
    hollenhorst2hollenhorst2 Member Posts: 51
    Point taken re: svc mgr turnover! No service done so far. I've only got 650 miles on it, have only had it about 2 weeks. I'll probably get the oil changed at about 3,000 miles. So far, absolutely no problems!
  • Options
    norcannorcan Member Posts: 72
    Been awhile since I've posted, but I've been reading the posts regularly.

My sand-mica '01 ES auto now has 2500 kms. No problems at all except a rattle on the passenger side. Someone posted before about a vent on that side - was it under the dash or under the seat?

For overall gas mileage I think you've got to run through several tanks of gas, resetting the trip meter each time you fill up. This helps eliminate the fact that it isn't easy filling up the tank to exactly the same level every time.

Summertime driving in Toronto - what a treat! I didn't think power windows were very important until I found how much I use them as the weather warms up. One previous post was about excessive wind and wind noise with front windows open.
    Tip: If no one is riding in the back seat, open both front and back window the same amount and problem solved.

My friend bought a new automatic Acura EL (4-door), which is a competitor for the LX/ES available only in Canada. The EL has 127 hp (I thought my friend said 140...?) 1.7 liter engine. This is one car I didn't test drive because I find the Honda front end design insipid - but now I'm interested just to see how it handles. I think the US equivalent is a highly dressed Civic.
  • Options
    tocantocan Member Posts: 118
    I bought my new Protege5 (see the P5 discussion on the hatchback board) using the X-Plan. I had no problems at all, except the time it took them to figure out the numbers since they had never done an X-Plan sale before. I called up my nearest dealer (the one I would have dealt with as a first choice) and asked whether they would accept X-plan pricing. The salesman checked with his sales manager and said yes. So I arranged for a test drive, and that was that.

Nomi
  • Options
    I just filled up my ES the other day, and I average every tank of gas. With AC running and a somewhat heavy foot, I averaged 27.7 mpg (70/30 highway/city mix). I am happy to see economy like this, considering the 1999 DX I replaced with my 2001 ES busted about 24-25 mpg in the same situations. Goes to show more power doesn't necessarily mean better fuel economy.
  • Options
    Don’t you know the ’01 ES has a light throttle and a heavy foot on it can ruin fuel economy? ;) They do have light throttles, very easy to press which produces those high rpm’s. Excessive rpm’s, more than it needs, burns gas.

norcan: Don’t waste your time testing the Acura EL (a.k.a US Civic EX), it doesn’t compare to the ’01 Protegé. I test-drove one and was very disappointed, considering it was my first choice when looking for a small car. I have been a Honda buyer for 15 years. The Civic EX has a poorly designed interior; very hard seats with too-short seat cushions; ugly dash and instrumentation; mostly hard plastic everywhere; and I was especially disappointed in its VTECH engine...no power! Down-shifting, the engine whines but there is very little response. There is NO room in the back seat area for adults, no leg room. It feels narrower than the Protegé.

The Protegé looks and feels like a real car, the Honda Civic looks and feels like a toy, a road toy. Worse, all of the first shipment of Civics to the US have defective audio systems and Honda had no replacements available. And on top of that, the fuel guages didn’t work. Nice eh?

I don’t know what my fuel economy is yet, but I do know the Pro is fun to drive! I normally drive 500 miles a month, the first 30 days of Protegé ownership I put 1,256 miles on it just driving around. :D

fowler3
  • Options
    mdrivermdriver Member Posts: 385
    No Civics are "shipped to the U.S." since they are all made in the U.S. and Canada - unless you consider the trip from the Great White North as an import, as technically it is.
  • Options
    unmarkedcarunmarkedcar Member Posts: 162
    The vent that makes the noise is under the passenger seat. I think it is a vent. The driver side has one too.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I believe the vent under the seat is to keep rear seat passengers' feet warm.
  • Options
    But it still makes a noise.
  • Options
    You are correct, I forgot that. ;)

fowler3
  • Options
    nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    80-90% highway at 60-70mph. No cruise control yet (other than to test it).
    First tank: 27.0 mpg
    Second tank: 27.5 mpg

I like the trend. I would really like to see 29-30mpg.
  • Options
    getti'n 26mpg....never seen near 30mpg yet
  • Options
    digidavedigidave Member Posts: 48
    Did you get your heat problem looked at? If not, I'd say it was the cable going from the temp control to the duct which opens / closes a flap (look under dash to left of glove box behind center console). If they had to take the console out, then they had to disconnect the cable and undoubtedly did not reconnect (or secure) the cable.

Hey, I also ride a Goldwing ('85 1200 LTD) - more stuff in common here on the boards, eh?
  • Options
    logger1logger1 Member Posts: 14
    1. Has anyone heard of Mazda dealers in California Central Valley accepting the S Plan?

2. Can routine/warranty maintenance for Mazda be handled by a Ford Dealer? I noticed one Mazda dealer has an arrangement for such coverage with the Ford dealer on the same auto mall. Ford dealers are closer to me than Mazda dealers. If warranty, quality and cost are comparable, I'd like to try Ford out.

3. We will be cash buyers, but won't have the full amount until September 15. Does Mazda halt production between model years? A salesmen said we could place a "special order" with delivery 60 days after the order. Does that sound right?

4. Does the S Plan require you to contact a designated salesman, or website contact, at the dealer? Many dealers who participate in on-line sales quotes, or participate in ARPA geezer sales require you to deal in a special way with them. I would hate to tie up a floor salesman who would then be cut out of the sale in the end.

Lou H

Lou H
  • Options
    Yes, I did get the heater cable reconnected, thank you. It took about 20 minutes. And the service manager said if I needed to go anywhere they would have Enterprise send a car for me to use, no cost to me. Enterprize is nearby at this Mazda dealership.

fowler3
  • Options
    tgo63tgo63 Member Posts: 16
    Edmunds tested civic ex coupe at 7.9 s 0 to 60.
    I yet have to see 2.0 protege going to 60 under 8.0s. I also test drove Nissan sentra se. It has an excellent brakes but the manual shifter is nowhere near Honda quality. For many people civic ex feels slow because it is a very refined car.
    I do prefer protege style over civic sedan.
    Tom
  • Options
    "For many people civic ex feels slow because it is a very refined car."

That's a highly subjective statement. I think fowler's comment was in relation to practical power. Not everyone likes 7000 rpm shifts that throw the car around and cause elderly ladies to run for cover. The Protege has the low end power advantage that makes it a more "refined" car.

• Options
    That's the method I use. One thing I try to do is not top off the tank. Once the nozzle shuts itself off the first time, I leave it at that. If you don't think that is accurate enough. Average your mileage over 4-5 tanks of gas and that is about as accurate as you can get.

Other methods: I've heard some kooky things before, but nothing worth repeating.

• Options
    cpaulyeecpaulyee Member Posts: 19
    On April 28, 2001, I became the proud owner of a 2001 Protege LX 2.0 here in the 50th state. My Protege is sand mica in color with a automatic and it rides beautifully. After years of owning Chevy's, the last one being a roomy but hungry Astro van, I decided to try a true "import" (since its still made in Japan) and I have not regretted it one bit. The 2.0 has plenty of power even with the automatic and my mileage so far has checked in at 19.5 which is fine considering almost 80% city driving (in Hawaii, we only have 3 interstates which if combined totals about 50 miles). The only item needing attention was a loose back seat but the dealer, Cutter Ala Moana snapped it right back in place. The forums are very informative so I will check back often to see if any experiences with the Protege mirror my own.

Take care everybody, and zoom-zoom
  • Options
    I'm curious: How many miles you put on in a year?

Also, why do they call it an Interstate and not an Intrastate?

Aloha

• Options
    drandran Member Posts: 7
    You wrote:

> Edmunds tested civic ex coupe at 7.9 I 0 to 60.
    > I yet have to see 2.0 protege going to 60 under 8.0s

I have yet to see any 0-60 figures for the new 2.0 with a stick. If you know of any reviews with these numbers please post the link. The most recent Edmunds figure is from their last small car shoot out in which they used a 1.8L automatic pro ES. But you cannot draw conclusions from this review to the speed of the new 2.0L with a stick. My gut feeling is that this newer combo with its bigger, and lower tourqe band can break into the 7's. But once again if you've got some hard evidence, please post the link.

The more info the better.
  • Options
    Its odd alright, because people get the impression that you can drive all the way from New York to Hawaii, but as you know, the ocean separates us. I thought I read somewhere that its called interstates down here too because it was built with federal dollars and therefore entitled to the same standards as thr rest of the US. Heck, we even have signs along the freeway saying that its the Eisenhower Interstate System. Mind boggling isnt it? Anyway, will keep you posted on the Protege.
  • Options
    drandran Member Posts: 7
    I started a great big post, then a storm knocked out my power and it was all lost. So here is my really quick rendition of a pro5 first impressions post.

The car looks really big and way upscale compared to the pro ES. The interior has a lot more trim. For example, the cup holder lid is now silver. The area under the power windows controls is now silver. It goes a long way to counter all the black of the interior and looks real nice. The 3 spoke leather wrapped wheel is cool and I noticed that the cruise control stalk is gone. It has been replaced by buttons on the steering wheel.

By the way, the trim isn't exactly silver. It's more of a champagne silver like the body color in the link below .

http://www.mazda.com.au/sp20/884.html

Put your mouse over sunlight silver and champagne silver to see the difference.

Until next time.
  • Options
    “The Protege has the low end power advantage that makes it a more "refined" car.”

You got it! Doing 0 to 60 in under 8 seconds isn't as important as being able to scoot out of the way when, say, a big dump truck is coming at you on your side of the road. I had that happen once on a twisty, two-lane country road. I scooted up an embankment just in time. Was driving an Audi Fox. In anything larger and less tossable I would have been a greasy spot on the road.

The 2.0L Protegé has this same flexibility even with an AT. The Civic, like the Accord and the Odyssey, hesitates while the VTECH system kicks in and it’s that hesitation, at the very instant you need a burst of speed, that can get you killed.

As I saids in an earlier post, I’ve been a Honda car buyer for 15 years. The Protegé gives me the confidence I had in the Audi Fox, and those little cars didn’t have 2.0L engines.

fowler3
  • Options
    Welcome to the Club! Hawaii isn't the greatest place to ZOOM, but it’s better than not ZOOMING at all. If you are talking about Ohau?

I have a friend who lives on Ohau and he bought a Porsche Boxster S last year, has only 200 miles on it last time he e-mailed. Bet he gets tired of going around the island and back home again.

fowler3
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I posted a Protege5 Test Drive on my website if anyone is interested.

Test Drive Report
  • Options
    rnd2rnd2 Member Posts: 31
    my bike is 83-1100cc aspencade, i also installed a sony 10 disk cd player in my saddlebag it works very well
  • Options
    Here in Hawaii, on the island of Oahu, the majority of people will average 10,000 to 12,000 miles of driving per year. In my case, probably only 8,000 per year because of the shorter distances. My trip from home to work takes all of 4.5 miles! But its done in brutal stop and go driving and would you believe still takes about 20 minutes to get there. Thats why you folks are so lucky when you can unwind in your Protege and drive for 50 miles or farther. I envy that chance to get to know Proto. Ofcourse I try to have some driving fun on weekends but beware, Saturday traffic is sometimes worse than the weekdays. I think the island is too small huh?

Anyway, I was curious. Do most drivers like the red lighting on the ES and Protege 5 dash? I have the green lighting and I find it soothing, but also heard that red lighting is the latest craze.
  • Options
    Personally, I can't stand white guages and red illumination. I wish that were an option, but I don't see that happening. I think it's all part of that target market mix. Looks like my DNA wasn't part of the mix.

• Options
    hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    Don't know about most drivers, but I don't like it.
  • Options
    I love the white gauges with the red night lighting actually. It, along with the unique interior trim, was one of the things that drew me even more to the ES. Maybe it's my age though (almost 23), but still like it alot. Think it makes the car look very sporty on the inside. And the dark carpeting also hides little spills too, so it's easier to deal with than the light gray I used to have in my 1999 DX.
  • Options
    vadpvadp Member Posts: 1,025
    A big turn-off.
  • Options
    EWWWWW. I think that green and blue are the easiest to look at.
  • Options
    theparallaxtheparallax Member Posts: 361
    I agree, I don't like the red lighting either, but I haven't seen it in person on the new Protege's. Blue is by far the nicest color - has anyone seen the new VW's with the Blue dash gauges? It looks awesome.
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I LOVE the blue lighting in my Passat.. very esy on the eyes.

I have had white and green lighting in the past. Just the white guage faces were a bit much during my Pro5 test drive... something I would have to get used to I guess. Same with the red lighting. Oh well, nothing is perfect.
  • Options
    It looks like the timex INDIGLO clocks.
  • Options
    Looks nicer with the blue...