Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protegé

Comments

• Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I like those the best out of all car gauges. A tie for second with my red illumination would be the Dodge Neon ES's gauge lighting. My roommate has one, and I always tell him that's the only thing I like about the Neon. :)

The red illumination is cool with me, because my family and I drove Pontiacs most of my life anyway. I am just used to it.
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    speaking of pontiacs, I sat in one red GRAND AM.

and started wondering what was so GRAND about it.

drivers space - same or less than protege
    rear passenger - definitely less than protege
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    well, I guess it'll be pretty cool if I had them, but I'm perfectly satisfied with the run-of-the-mill green in my 00 ES, very easy on the eyes.

I guess I'll have to go test drive a 01 ES at night to see it for myself then :)
  • Options
    nematodenematode Member Posts: 448
    I dont like white face guages. Dealer did not want to swap them out.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I didn't like them three months ago when I was south of 30.

:)
  • Options
    fowler3fowler3 Member Posts: 1,919
    North of 30 or south it’s the same, eh?

I like the green illumination on the 01 Pro LX. Thought I wouldn't at first, but it is very easy to see, much brighter than blue. Blue light scatters more than the other wave lengths and that is why it seems soft. Except on VW vehicles which use a much brighter blue, maybe to offset the softening.

I don’t care for the white guages either. They remond me of old alarm clock faces. Pilots have long used white on black guages because the white numerals seem larger than they actually are. Red illumination was also used for night vision. The pilot could see around insided the cockpit and not have his night vision deminished when looking outside. But is that necessary for drivers?

As your eyes get older you are less able to see well using red light for illumination. The red wave length has the same loss as blue. Which explains Mazda’s market niche...South of 30!

North of 30 you are suppose to buy the Pro LX 2.0L. LOL!

If South means under. ;)
    North of 40 you will be happy with green.
    North of 50 you will be lucky to see the guage cluster.
    North of 60 you will be happy just to see the car.

fowler3
  • Options
    windowphobe6windowphobe6 Member Posts: 765
    I left 30 so long ago I can't tell you what direction it's in anymore, but simple white on black works for me.
  • Options
    pocahontaspocahontas Member Posts: 802
    For more information/discussion about the Protege5, check out the Mazda Protege5 discussion, which is linked to the Hatchbacks and Station Wagons Message Boards.

Happy Motoring!

Pocahontas
    Host
    Hatchbacks / Station Wagons Message Boards

• Options
    edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    On Friday a dealer gave me a $15,525 price on an ES Auto/Moonroof/ABS/Side Air. This was after 20 minutes of some 'voodoo ritual'where the invoice which had to be locked up in a safe was consulted. Well 4 days later after they located a car and when I went in to cement the deal, the price was $15,999 which is probably still good (it had the ES package but that's only $30 or more than options priced separately). The salesman and the mgr lied thro' their collective teeth that they don't remember writing any price down from me.(The salesman had filled out a form with my name etc. which he said he couldn't give me but transcribed the price to a note - he couldn't remember that today) I walked away on principle. Don't like being lied to. I know for a fact now that dealers around here are deliberately giving you a low(er) price on the S plan and then jerking it up.
  • Options
    hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    S-Plan price should be (within $5) $16,269+TTL-$500 rebate based on an ES with auto. trans. and the Premium Package only. To verify, the MSRP is $17,695 (including $700 off for the moonroof promotion). Where's this dealer?
  • Options
    logger1logger1 Member Posts: 14
    1. Has anyone heard of Mazda dealers in California Central Valley accepting the S Plan?

2. We will be cash buyers, but won't have the full amount until September 15, (or Aug 15 for LX). Does Mazda halt production between model years? Concerned there will be a gap. A salesmen said we could place a "special order" with delivery 60 days after the order. Does that sound right?

3. Does the S Plan require you to contact a designated salesman, or website contact, at the dealer? Many dealers who participate in on-line sales quotes, or participate in AARP geezer sales require you to deal in a special way with them. I would hate to tie up a floor salesman who would then be cut out of the sale in the end.

Lou H
  • Options
    2. Why would a "gap" concern you? Afraid that you won't be able to get a 2001? Supposedly no one can "special order" a Protege. Instead a dealer puts in a request and, if the right car comes along, it'll be sent to that dealer. You may want to list how you want your car equipped (and color) here. Someone may be able to tell you if it's rare.
    3. Just contact a sales manager. He/she will take it from there.
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    My 89 323 has orange lighting. I kind of liked it. It's easy to see and is definitely easy on the eyes at night.

However, the green in my 99LX is much easier to see than orange even. I don't notice much impact on night vision, probably because there's less glare from the display reflecting off the windows in the Pro than the 323.

I don't like red lighting. I haven't tried the diplays in the new Pros, but I've been unlucky enough to have driven a Pontiac Grand Am as a rental with red displays and I definitely had a hard time reading the cluster at night.

The average human eye is most sensitive to light in the yellow to green range. Red and blue can be difficult to pick up (like sound, we supposedly can hear from the 20-20,000Hz range, but hear best from 1,000 to 12,000Hz).
  • Options
    unmarkedcarunmarkedcar Member Posts: 162
    AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!! I cant stand that nosie. That vibrating sound under the passenger seat is driving me crazy. Has anyone found a way to correct this. I am pretty sure that it is the vent under the passenger seat. It is a buzzzzzzing noise.......AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH godddd. And by the way. The pin-stripping on the protege just pulls right off. I hated it. It looked so tacky. I did not even have to use a blowdryer to remove it. It just cam right off. I do not know If I should remove the 2.0 sticker....it is tacky.
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    I know what you mean about annoying little noises. They start to really get to you after awhile. Under the passenger's seat, it's the heat vent for rear seat people vibrating. You should check under there to see if it's loose or something. You might be able to provide a temporary fix for yourself.
  • Options
    It’s the heat duct under the passenger seat. Maybe a trim shop could remove the seat for you and you could then check the duct and put something like rubber or plastic to wedge it tight so ot won’t rattle.

From what you describe it isn't under the car.

fowler3
  • Options
    A trim shop is a place that does seat repairs and padding. They are use to removing seats and can put it back without damaging the interior.

fowler3
  • Options
    I looked at it a week ago. I do not see it being loose. Maybe I should put a towel over it. Have you removed the tack pin-striping yet? I took mine off today. It looks better now. I was thingking of removing the 2.0 sticker also.
  • Options
    protegenicprotegenic Member Posts: 199
    I can't say I have the under the seat one, but I do have one in the dash near the driver's door that drives me crazy on certain pavement types. I tried to have my dealer check it out, but of course could not replicate it when I needed to. Any ideas on what it could be and better yet, how can I get rid of it, would be appreciated.
  • Options
    jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I have never had a problem with the heat ducts underneath the seats, but you may want to check that the heat duct comes out of the carpeting and is exposed and that the carpet is placed as flat as possible underneath the duct. If the carpet is riding above the duct, that may cause several rattles. Rattles in the doors I have pretty much learned to live with... I wonder if the 2001's do it with their much improved door sound deadening? Soon, I will add sound insulation under the carpets, in the trunk, and in the doors... I'll report back if this helps to stop the rattles...

Mazda does not install pinstriping on any of their vehicles except the B-Series trucks. If your Protege has pinstriping, then your dealer applied it to the vehicle. When I was selling, we did several dealer trades with a dealership that installs pinstriping on ALL of their vehicles. When the cars came in, the first thing we did was remove the pinstriping. It is typically very easy to remove... However, make sure you do it within the first six months or so... the paint may fade around it.
  • Options
    Is it worth it to add insulation to the trunk? I would think not. I was thinking of getting the dyno-mat stuff from crutchfield.com, but it is pretty expensive.
  • Options
    SporinSporin Member Posts: 1,066
    I have found that rattle-hunting is best done by YOU and not the dealer. It seems the dealer can either "not repeat" the sound, doesn't even bother to look (but charges you anyway) or makes matters worse.

Just my opinion.
  • Options
    I have found with my cars that 90% of rattles are my own doing. Either change in the dash pocket, or a pen in the door pocket.

I'm thinking that the noise you hear Unmarkedcar could be a penny that found its way under or in that heater duct. Just a thought.

• Options
    IS IT WORTH IT?

I must assume that you are not a detective nor interested in detective stories.

if you do a SOUND hunting in the PRO ES, the max. sound comes from the trunk 'cause the trunk has a very thin sheet metal that can easily vibrate - check it out by lifting your trunk carpet and banging your fist on the trunk floor - you will be surprised by the quality of sheet metal used in the trunk
  • Options
    for owners of 99-00 PRO, if you find your door not slamming as tight as it once used to - try this out

take 2 inches of Black Electrical tape and wind it on the locking U found on the B-pillar.

worked like a charm for me.
  • Options
    But how long does it last? You can loosen that door pin and reset it, but it may take a few tries to get it right.

• Options
    I went out on my lunch brake, and took off the LX 2.0 sticker, the pin-striping and the dealer sticker. They all came off with no pain. I was stupid and tried to remove the protege badge ( on the trunk lid). I thought it was stuck on like the dealer badge. I ended up messing up the rubber ring that is on the badge. I am at work at this time, could anyone contact a mazda dealer for me and ask them how much the badge costs? I live in the USA. I hope it is not too expensive.
  • Options
    Mazdastuff.com wants $117 for it (2001 Protege). Is that a fair price? I haven't check with my local dealer yet. They also said Mazda had stopped printing the smaller version ($55). And the part numbers for the cargo net and mud guards are different from those for 99-00 model years.
  • Options
    It's a bound book and doesn't lay flat. The $117 version probably comes with the binder(a must) and the print is readable vs. the small book.

Cargo nets and mud guards are the same for 99-01.

• Options
    The emblem (BJ0E-51-720A) should be about $8.

• Options
    Mazdastuff said the ES2.0 is the only model with different part numbers for the cargo net and mud guards. The others (LX2.0, LX and DX) have the same numbers as for the 99-00 model years. Weird.
  • Options
    They may be confused about the old part numbers being replaced by a new number for both.

• Options
    Makes sense now. Since the prices are different, I'll pick the cheaper ones. 99-00 cargo net and 01 mud guards. I'm cheap.
  • Options
    vtcoachvtcoach Member Posts: 7
    I am looking at picking up a Protege for my family and a local dealer has been running an ad for a basic 2001 DX for $10,750 and 4.9% for 60 months. This sounds pretty good and I may take a run over and check out what else they have. Does this sound too low to any of you Protege owners ?
  • Options
    Bait 'n' Switch
    Lost Leader
    1 only at this price

And many more come to mind. If it's too good to be true, it's not. They've probably already had 20 more like you that went down and bought an LX for $14.5k because "you just can't live without power windows and A/C!"

I bet that they'll tell you that it's sold once you get down there. I am almost willing to put money on that.

• Options
    Yes but watch out for the fineprint. Invoice is $12,814 and there's a $1,000 rebate. They may assume you qualify for the $400 College Grad rebate.
  • Options
    vtcoachvtcoach Member Posts: 7
    Even with the recent grad (I wish) discount, the numbers still don't add up. I guess I should be suspicious as maltb suggests. Might be worth checking out though just the same. See what kind of games they're playing.
  • Options
    newfie5newfie5 Member Posts: 2
    I contacted EAA based on the informtion posted here and they said that they only have x-pricing, which is 4% over dealer invoice. I also contacted the dealer and the manager said that there is only x-pricing there. Can this be true or is the dealer pulling my leg? Does EAA actually give you s-pricing after you sign up?
  • Options
    That car was sold before the ad ran. LOL! It’s an old trick some dealers use. There are good Mazda dealers and bad Mazda dealers, true for all of them. How many times have you read factory ads that give the MSRP but add, “Dealers set their own prices”? This explains the “Dicker Sticker” to the right of the main sticker. That term applies to paddiing that you haggle over with nothing off on the car.

Let the buyer beware. ;)

fowler3
  • Options
    You can get a Protegé for $10,695 from Hertz, only eight months old and with 25,000 miles on it. Of course, nearly 260 drivers have beaten that little car to death. Most look like they have 80,000 miles on them. LOL

fowler3
  • Options
    gitarzangitarzan Member Posts: 66
    What car can go, where no other car can?
    Rent-a-car!
  • Options
    MP3 has no ABS, side air bags or sunroof. The only standard feature is a whole lotta fun...

• Options
    Thanks man.....do you know if that has ALL the parts including the rubber ring.....thanks man for your help.....I can not get off work in time to call them
  • Options
    the insert that goes into the trunk lid? yes, that's included.
  • Options
    tocantocan Member Posts: 118
    The U.S. version is S-plan. The Canadian version is X-plan. The U.S. version is MUCH better. (However, I was able to get a Protege5 using X-plan, while the Americans don't seem able to get X-plan pricing on the P5.)

Once you join the EAA you will be able to access the Members only section. There you will find different options for the Partnership Recognition Program for Canada and U.S. When you select Canada there are a few further choices, and you have to give them some information (including your social insurance number which really bothered me) and then you will get a PIN. Copy down that number (or print the screen). You will need the number at the dealer's.

I bought my new Protege5 using X-plan. As you found out, the Canadian version is 4% over dealer invoice, which includes the invoice price on the vehicle and any factory installed options (but not dealer installed accessories), plus freight, plus advertising plus whatever else is on the dealer's invoice. For dealer installed Mazda accessories you get 15% off MSRP on the accessories, but pay full installation costs. Since freight is already in the invoice price, PDI is limited to $300 (MSRP for freight and PDI is $820). The admin fee is $25 (my dealer's normal admin fee is $149). The deal includes a full tank of gas (usually they charge $20 for that.)

Basically I ended up getting the car for about $850 less than MSRP.

The purchase price has been confirmed by Mazda Canada (they check all X-plan calculations).

I hope that this helps.

Nomi
  • Options
    I am Canadian Mazda knowledge impaired...
  • Options
    glideslopeglideslope Member Posts: 37
    Well, I have 11,200 on my 00 ES 5- Speed. This has been during 11 months of Upstate NY roads. I "drive" my ES, and have only experienced a heat shield rattle at 6,000. This was taken care of at a 15 min dealer visit. Otherwise it is as tight as the day I picked it up. Must be all the Mobil 1 synthetic lube in it's veins.

Regards,
    Mark.
  • Options
    tocantocan Member Posts: 118
    Considering how much you know about Mazda US ;-) I think we'll forgive you for not having all the information on Mazda Canada too.

Nomi
  • Options
    littlejohnlittlejohn Member Posts: 9
    Can any one give me advice on current rebate and financing on 2001 Proteges? I've owned a Protege in the past and have been looking at the new ones. Edmunds shows no rebate or special finacing, but I read some of these posts show $1000 and 4.9 for 60 months?

I might also add that the DX I had from 92 to 97 was only in the shop 1 time! Super reliable, but I needed something bigger and sold it to buy a new/then Sonata. Thanks, JM
  • Options
    edmund2460edmund2460 Member Posts: 293
    HKCHAN the price that I was first given (15,525) was before Tax and license tags. Then they bumped it up to 15,999 plus TTL when I came in to deal. That's the first time I saw any detailed paper work. I would probably have taken that price if they gave it to me in the first place, but I didn't want to give my money to these jerks. They looked at each other (s.man and mgr.) saying 'what price, i don't recall giving a price to him do you' when the day before they took 20 minutes to calculate it. The dealer is in Charlotte NC, I live over the border in SC and the dealer in my town is owned by the same guys.I guess I'll just have to drive my 82 Jetta diesel with 234K (going strong) for a few more years...