Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• Options
    jake696jake696 Member Posts: 111
    ...at mats.com do not really fit the front of the '04 Sienna. I had to do some cutting in one area and they are a short-fit in other areas. This is the first time I've been unhappy with Weathertech mats, I would guess that they just used the old Sienna for a fit guide and are too expensive!

As for the second and third row, Wal-mart had a nice fitting runner in an all-weather style that required no cutting! The fit is better than the Weathertech mat! Only problen is that I could only find them in black.
  • Options
    lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788
    I haven't done any research on Husky Liner yet. But they have a pretty good tray like floormats for some SUVs. It looks like cargo tray/liner with 1" or 2" lip surrounding plus diamond-tread on the surface. It gives an ultimate floor to floor protection especially in snow area. I agree with you about the WeatherTech. The one that I bought for my SUV is not as good as I expected.
  • Options
    minietalminietal Member Posts: 14
    kmead: wow, you did an awesome job on the sensor. looks very oem. i fly you in to install it for me. hee hee hee :):) --laura
  • Options
    unless your five-year old not sitting in her booster seat, she shouldn't have any problem seeing the headrest monitor. vizualogic headrest is very very nice. there are connectors you can unplug when seat and/or headrest need to be removed. --laura
  • Options
    kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    I wish I could take credit for that excellent installation. It was Ablumny, another forum member who performed this. I just wanted to show you what can be done by a owner using parts that can be bought over the internet.

In my view, the aftermarket solution looks much better than the factory (the sensors are the same) as the factory doesn't bother to paint them.
  • Options
    bondguy1bondguy1 Member Posts: 231
    Can the backup sensors on the XLE Limited be painted to match? They stand out huge on an Arctic Frost van. Will painting them,not me but a professional, block anything? I have seen cars out there (cadillacs, etc) with them the same color.
  • Options
    rambhamrambham Member Posts: 10
    I own a 2004 Sienna XLE LTD and I did not get the NAV package - and now I am wishing that I
    did. I really like the idea of having a backup
    video camera and the gps navigation built into
    the dash.

I don't care too much about the price, I'm more
    interested in getting a good navigation system
    AND some kind of back up camera.

My questions: If you have the factory NAV unit - do you like it? Does it work well, is it easy to
    use? Do you like the backup camera?

For aftermarket nav units: Do any of them have an integrated backup camera? Or maybe an
    aux video input? Where do you put the NAV unit?
    If its just placed on the dash -- I think the
    wires would not be very attractive.

Thanks for any comments.
  • Options
    i too interested in installing a backup camera and found a site that sells an inside rear view mirror with a built-in monitor for the backup camera. one would replace the stock oem with this mirror. try www.autotoys.com and search for backup camera. --laura
  • Options
    kmeadkmead Member Posts: 232
    I know of no aftermarket nav system that integrates rear camera functioning. As others have pointed out, you can get different systems for each feature.
  • Options
    shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    I get color-key mudguard from www.mrtoyotaparts.com someone has referred it before on this board. When the parts came, the 6 10x19mm screws for rear set are missed and they send me separately. As other guys said, to install the front set of mudguard is very easy, and I have no further advice. I install my rear set without removing the rear tires. Following the instruction steps, I have some advices for some steps:
    1): To remove the existing push pin at C position. push pin and center pin basically is a integrated, you can pull out the center pin at about 1.5 cm, and can not pull the center pin completely and separate with the push pin. If you have your van several months, thus the sand or dirty at push pin makes it very very difficult to pull the center pin. What I do is to use one hand at top to push the push pin and another hand to pull the whole push pin carefully at bottom. I did it successfully without brokening the push pin. Even you broke the push pin, it does not cause problem, just discard it, since when you install the mud guard, you will find the push pin is not long enough to fasten, and now push pin can only be used as an alignment point, but not as a fasten point.
    2): Drill 2 holes at A and B position. Use the mudguard as to draw two circles at bump panel, thus use spring clips to check that the two marks can work for spring clips. A: If not, adjust the marks to make them work for spring clips first, because guard and bump panel are plastic and easy to adjust, but spring clips are steel. B: drill holes not only on bump panel, but also on black sand panel, thus let the screws to have space to pass through. Otherwise, the screws will push out the black sand panel. C: It need some one to help you to hold the bump panel and black sand panel to drill the holes. (I use 1/4 drill).
    3): To install screw at position D. You can not put the spring clip at position D as those at position A and B. the spring clip can not fit the shape of bump panel at position D. spring clip is used as a NUT and put at only one side of bump panel at position D.
  • Options
    I try to use after market alloy wheels. At market, it will cost about $300 to buy four alloy wheel. If with four new tires, it will cost about $500. To buy OEM four alloy wheels will cost $800. My van has tire pressure warning gauge. Do any one know how this work? does there have any sensors on the OEM steel wheels now? Does the sensors can be moved to the after market alloy wheels? Thanks.
  • Options
    deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    IIRC the tire pressure sensor works by calculating the revolutions or the difference in revolutions on the wheel. It DOES not have sensors on the wheels itself.
  • Options
    mitchb711mitchb711 Member Posts: 5
    Can anyone please share with me successful methods on using DVD-R or DVD+R in the 04 Sienna rear entertainment system.
    I have tried both Memorex and TDK DVD+R and DVD-R media with no luck. I tried writing at 1X also but still no luck.
    Much thanks,
    Mitchell
  • Options
    indyjonesindyjones Member Posts: 49
    Finally I installed an aftermarket DVD system in my XLE. The reason I didnt do with the factory system was becasue I wanted the side curtain airbags.

I put audiovox VOH884 system, with custom console from for sienna (made by audiovox). The custom console allowed me to keep my rear audio controller. The sound is being fed thru a FM modulator. Everything works fine except what I feel is that I really have to crank the audio to the max to get the sound out of the DVDs. I tried a regular CD, and felt that it also had to be cranked way up. What's up with this? Any one else had similar stituation with the FM modulators?
  • Options
    vault2vault2 Member Posts: 31
    kmead,

I would like to ad the OEM Fog Lights to my 04 Sienna LE. The following are the parts I would be needing:

Fog Lamp = $174 each
    Head Lamp Switch = $133
    Foglamp Relay = $60

The question is is there a wiring harness already present for the fog lamps/lights on the 04 Sienna LE? Otherwise one has to change the woring harness and it costs 16 large bills + Uncle Sam :)
  • Options
    vault2vault2 Member Posts: 31
    There is a Wiring Harness present in the Sienna LE to add the fog lights. Couldn't find the fuse for it in the fuse box (engine compartment). Will have to check the XLE and the LE's Electrical Diagram.
  • Options
    tsunamitsunami Member Posts: 7
    shued,
    thanks for the posting, it was very helpful in my installation.
  • Options
    davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    i just recieved my package today... i will install the hood protector & front & rear mud flaps when i get home today...

i can't wait!!!

any last minute advice...

Thanks!
  • Options
    took all of an hour to put the hood protector & front and rear mud flaps on the car.

boy! it looks much better now! even without the functionality i would recommend that this van have these standard! Why doesn't Toyota see this and have all of these factory installed, it may bring more appeal value and attract more sales$$

thanks all for your help!
  • Options
    paul6paul6 Member Posts: 14
    A long time ago someone posted something about using strong magnets to cure the rear brake squeal common amongst Siennas. They described attaching the magnets to a plate somewhere to affect it's resonance. If you recall this, or know about it, could you post exactly where the magnet(s) should go?
  • Options
    If you have installed, please give us more detailed information. when you order the parts, does it come with the installatio instruction?
    For my understanding, the part you mentioned of switch is a three way wire assembly with two 12-pin connectors. Without replacement of existing control unit at steering wheel, one 12-pin connector connects to one side of the existing control unit, other way 12-pin connects to the other side of existing connection. The third way will connect to the switch and relay. The wire existed at fog light will be used as it connect with the OEM fog lights.
  • Options
    kwtradingkwtrading Member Posts: 19
    My wife and I have decided we want a Sienna LE with the factory DVD. We just figured out that the LE is not available with factory DVD in my area and we'd have to drive south a couple states in order to get one. We don't mind the drive at all, but am I crazy to insist on factory for this? Is there any advantage to aftermarket? We're gonna have this van a long time and I want it to be perfect.

So without being able to see a Sienna with factory dvd around here to check out, can someone explain it a bit? Where is the sound coming from assuming you are playing it outloud? Does it use all the factory speakers or just the rears? Is there an auxilary input source?

Thanks.
  • Options
    kksdadkksdad Member Posts: 28
    I can't tell you want a "non-factory" DVD looks like but, we've had ours for 2 weeks now and my two girls LOVE it! The picture quality is decent for 7" but the sound quality is GREAT w/10-speaker JBL, and also surprisingly good with just the headphones. My only complaint is getting good with the controls and having to read thru a 400+ page owner's manual to find what I want. After 2 weeks, still working on it! Good luck, hope you get what you want!
  • Options
    kipkip Member Posts: 12
    How to funnel DVD sound to the JBL sound system? I read the Owner Manual: "You can enjoy videos and sound when your personal audio system is connected to the input terminal adapter. For details, refer to the manufacturer's instructions".

Question: 1. How to "connect the personal audio system to the inputer terminal adapter". 2. Is there a separate DVD manual? I didn't have one.

Thanks.
  • Options
    devsiennadevsienna Member Posts: 70
    Are you trying to use a third-party DVD player or use the factory DVD unit? If it's the factory unit, then you should be able to hit "Disc" twice on the front stereo controls and that will route the sound from the DVD or CD being played in the factory DVD unit.

Presumably this would work the same for the set of input terminals that are by the left-middle seat.

Do you have the factory DVD rear entertainment system installed in your sienna?
  • Options
    kipkip Member Posts: 12
    Yes, my Limited has the factory DVD rear entertainment system installed. In fact, so far everything is factory installed. I am planning to add some all weather carpets and a cargo net, that's it.

Thanks for the information. I'll try it. Is that specified somewhere in the Owner Manual?
  • Options
    mayerofrfmayerofrf Member Posts: 33
    Paul, If you change your profile to show you're E-mail address, I can E-mail it all to you. Keep in mind it's just a patch, not an approved fix. But it's easy to do.
  • Options
    It is supposedly covered in the owners manual, but I actually found out about it via one of the forums here on edmunds.com and subsequently tested it on a car trip last week (kids were playing Into the Woods and my wife wanted to hear the songs as well).
  • Options
    I have a LE with package #7 which has the rear audio. Do I have to buy wireless headphones from Toyota in order to use it?
  • Options
    paul6paul6 Member Posts: 14
    mayerofrf; Edmunds profile updated. Thanks.
  • Options
    familymanfamilyman Member Posts: 8
    All,
    I just recently purchased a 2004 Sienna LE and I am debating purchasing either a single combo DVD-LCD flip down unit or the cheaper 2 piece player / LCD monitor.

Because cost is a factor to me, I am leaning towards the latter 2 piece unit. So can anyone here can tell me if there are any (switched or un-switched) factory pre-wired power source that is not utilized around the front seat area of an LE with only the the BI package? Or am I forced to run another line direct to the fuse box?

A question also for those who have already installed any after market flip-down units on the center console ( with rear audio) is it already pre-wired for power for the Toyota DVD option? How about the mounting of any aftermarket DVD combo unit, would I most likely have to drill or cut holes on the unit to match the mount holes on the Sienna? I don't really care for keeping the rear audio option.

Thanks in advance!
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter is looking for vehicle owners with a rear entertainment system who have used it for more than just entertaining the kids on a long trip. Has an adult used it frequently on long trips by sitting in the back? Have you taken a break at work by catching part of a movie in your back seat? If your hotel didn't have a DVD player on a family vacation, have you hauled the family out to the car to catch a movie? Please respond via e-mail by April 6 to jeff@selingo.com.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    lovemyaccordslovemyaccords Member Posts: 21
    Today I passed a 2004 Sienna (while driving mine!) and I could see DVD screens installed into the back of each front seat head-rest. Does anyone know where you find these and how the electrical connections are done (and where the player goes?)

Wendy
  • Options
    kwtradingkwtrading Member Posts: 19
    Anyone know a ballpark dealer 'cost' on the factory hood protector (ie bug deflector) and for factory splash guards? If there is no published cost on these items then I guess I'll settle for knowing what normal retail is on them.

Also, are all of the splash guards black or are they color coded? I assume they are priced different if both available?

Thanks!
  • Options
    I found many stuffs at Camel Back Toyota with a reasonable price and even cheaper than dealer at Camel Back Toyota in AZ. I bought several things for my Toyota.
  • Options
    Mine is 2004 LE, I'm waiting the OEM fog lights installation information. Any one can help?
  • Options
    indyjonesindyjones Member Posts: 49
    audiovox makes a console for 04 sienna. do a search and you will find my post which list the part number for the audiovox unit.
  • Options
    nimmy4nimmy4 Member Posts: 4
    Has anyone purchased the Toyota Dual Port System -the cargo carrier that attaches to hitch? How much is it? And any opinions.
    Thanks
  • Options
    We bought the Dual Port System hitch and cargo-tray and cargo-carrier combo recently and very pleased with it. Here's my impressions so far:

My dealer was having a Saint Patricks 1-day sale with 25% off all parts, so we took advantage of that to get the hitch, cargo-tray and cargo carrier at a significant discount. Unfortunately, what we didn't know is that you need to order a 2004 wiring harness for the dual port hitch (at $165), something we didn't find out about until they went to put the hitch on (about 2 weeks later after the parts had all come in and I had time to bring the van in for installation). Luckily the parts department was willing to give me the same 25% discount on the harness.

We paid $150 for the hitch, $124 for the wiring harness, and $337 for cargo-tray and cargo-carrier combo kit (each is available separately, but buying them together saves you about 10 bucks) for a total of $611 in parts. Ouch. The wiring harness cost was the biggest shock (especially when told about it while they have the car up on the rack).

Installation of the hitch and the wiring was around $400. I had the dealer do it because I felt more confident that they would do a good job, and if there were problems, I wouldn't have a hassle getting things fixed under warranty or any claims that I violated my warranty by having a third-party hitch company put the hitch on.

First thing to note about the cargo-tray is that it blocks the rear sensors of the Toyota Park Assist system, even when folded up. Second thing to note is that with the cargo-carrier mounted on the cargo-tray, you can't open the tailgate. You must remove it prior to opening the tailgate, and of course leave it off until you've closed the tailgate. There is an optional swing-away mount for the cargo-tray, but I don't know what the price is. Also, it appears that if you get the swing-away mount, the tray no longer can be folded up. Luckily, removing the cargo-carrier is easily done (but requires two people), so the annoyance factor is relatively minor here.

The cargo-carrier basically looks like an oversized ice-chest/cooler. There is plenty of room inside for various stuff like suitcases, duffel-bags, golf-clubs, etc). There appears to be decent weather-stripping to help prevent water from leaking into the cargo carrier, but we haven't had to test the weather-proofing of it so far. Two cables on either side prevent the lid from flopping all the way over when open (like on an ice-chest), but on ours, they were of unequal length and due to stress, they both pulled out of their stays in the lid. This is easily fixed, but annoying to deal with. A hinged setup might've been nicer to see. My other quibble is that the latches they used on the cargo-carrier (one set for the lid, one set to secure it to the cargo-tray) have really cheap locks. They appear to be easy to pick and could easily be broken open with a screw-driver. However, it appears that you can probably replace the latches with ones that have sturdier locks built into them.

The cargo-tray is easily attached or removed to/from the hitch. It can be attached by one person, but really requires two people to remove it. The hardest part in re-attaching it is getting the two cotter pins used to secure it to lineup properly. I'm concerned that there appears to be no easy way to lock the tray to the hitch. But I've got a couple of ideas on how to fix that.

So far the cargo-tray and carrier has been really useful to us. Last weekend we drove to Southern California and had to transport of a lot big bulky stuff. This meant they had to go in the van itself. Which didn't leave much room for our personal stuff. Cargo-carrier to the rescue! We were easily able to get our suitcase in the carrier and still had plenty of room leftover for sleeping bags, pillows, and other stuff.

In summary: the dual-port hitch and cargo-carrier/cargo-tray combo seems to be a worthy investment, though a pricey one. The flexibility of being able to carry more stuff and the ease of use seems to outweigh the shortcomings noted above (park-assist sensors blocked, tailgate access with cargo-carrier on the tray, etc). We anticipate using the cargo-carrier a lot this spring since we will be travelling to Southern California every weekend for the Ren Faire down there and will have 5 or 6 people in the car every weekend. Which could mean a rather crowded car with everybody's stuff. Using the cargo-carrier in conjunction with semi-careful planned use of the trunk area (what do we need when we get to site? what can wait to be off loaded in the morning, etc) should lead to plenty of room for everybody's stuff.
  • Options
    kksdadkksdad Member Posts: 28
    My dinner was warm when I started to read your "short story",and now, it's cold! But I really appreciate you spending the time to give your impression on the cargo carrier.

Too expensive for what little I'd use it for, but I thought it was a pretty neat accessory and could definitely come in handy, for the right owner. My dealer was offering "all accessories at cost" last month, even then, I'm not sure if it would have been worth it for me. THANKS, again for sharing the details!
  • Options
    nimmy4nimmy4 Member Posts: 4
    thanks for the info, much appreciated. Still waiting to hear when van will arrive, will probably order the cargo carrier so arrives when van does - A couple more questions if willing...is the cargo carrier secured to van or do you need to remove & store when traveling & staying at hotel? Also, about how large is this carrier? (how many suitcases, etc. can it hold?) Thanks again for your trouble
  • Options
    falls1falls1 Member Posts: 13
    Has anyone purchased audio headset for the rear radio yet? I just purchased an XLE without the dvd. I see that there is a rear radio, but headsets are not included.
  • Options
    The cargo-carrier sits on the cargo-tray and is secured to the cargo-tray via couple of lockable latches that are on the carrier. It's up to you if you want to remove it when staying at a hotel.

The suitcase we used is a soft one, more like a duffel bag with lots of individual pockets. If you are using a regular suitcase, like the ones with wheels and a handle (for easier use in an airport), then I estimate you could get at least 2 in there with possibly extra room for 1 or 2 of the smaller types (that usually go in the overhead compartment on an airplane).
  • Options
    steph280steph280 Member Posts: 20
    If you are looking for the factory navigation to retrofit into your Sienna, it is possible now. At least 2 guys from a sienna forum and I have successfully retrofitted Toyota navigation into Sienna, and it interacts with the factory DVD or rear seat audio system, that means maintaining the 10 speaker surround sound and all the controls. These are drop in replacements requiring tapping only two wires for speed and reverse sensor. Plus the retrofitted unit are XM capable, where the Sienna factory units are not.

I have played around with Garmin navigation system, and it still has some ways to go before being comparable with the factory unit. Plus all your radio functions are controlled with nice graphics via touch screen. It's a gadget freak's dream come true. :)

Sombody above asked how to pipe DVD sound through speakers: just press the DISC button on your radio or navigation unit TWICE.

Stephen
  • Options
    familymanfamilyman Member Posts: 8
    All,
    Check out http://www.myronanddavis.com (part number ATY178) for a 7.8" DVD monitor for 2004 Sienna LE's and Xle's with rear audio option. This option saves your rear audio functionality.

The prices on the internet is $569 but a place in Reseda Blvd in LA sells them for $469. I have not purchased it yet as I am still shopping for the separate DVD player that plays DVD+R's discs. So for now, I cannot comment on the quality of the monitor.

As for the DVD player that can play DVD+R's discs, I have only found the Sony DVX11A that does the trick. I plan to install it on the top glove compartment but I am not relishing all the wiring that I will have to do. The only issue I see is making sure I do not mess up the deployment of the side curtain airbags when I wire it up.

-Hope this info helps somebody...
  • Options
    sylshopsylshop Member Posts: 6
    The Sienna LE pkg #11 that I ordered is finally scheduled to be built week 5-10-04. I would greatly appreciate your help in this.
    I need a) your feedback/thoughts on the following accessories, b) what good deal you may have gotten from the dealer or what mark-up is considered a good deal and c) whether to order from the dealer, or get from aftermarket:
    1) Gold package (GP) MSRP $196 / Invoice $119
    2) Hood Protector (HP) $109/$69
    3) Running Boards (RB) $599/349
    4) Simulated Burlwood by superior dash (8E) $349/~250
    5) V.I.P.-RS3200 Plus Security System (V5) $249/119. I plan to install a kill-switch myself. Would this provide any value then.
    6) Wheel locks (Alloy) (WL) $59/37.
    7) Wireless Headphones (Pair) (WH) $82/64
    8) DPS Hitch with Wire Harness $415/315
    Slight possibility of need in future, but what would I be giving up by not ordering from Manufacturer and having it installed later by aftermarket installer or myself?
  • Options
    kenhall64kenhall64 Member Posts: 16
    1 - Gold Package - I do not like looks of but up to you if that is your style.
    2 - Hood Protector - Get. Try to get dealer to sell at his cost. You can get a Toyota's on E-Bay for about $75 plus shipping. I like Toyota's but plenty of good aftermarkets.
    3 - Running Boards - van sits low to begin with - I see no need unless putting stuff on roof a lot like bikes.
    4 - Wood Dash - depends on what you like. Aftermarkets tend to look cheap and "added-on"
    5 - Security System - depends on your needs
    6 - Wheel locks - depends on your needs
    7 - Wireless headphones - package 11 with DVD comes with 2, do you need 2 more? $82 is cheep now since they sell for more from parts department
    8 Hitch - depends on needs. $415 is high. May get aftermarket for a lot less.
    Hope this helps.
  • Options
    garnerjgarnerj Member Posts: 31
    1) Gold package -Depends on the van color also, Id skip it and save money for something else.

2) Hood Protector -Skip theirs go with the after market ones, not only are they cheaper, but you can get a clear one. Clear seems to look better on the lighter colored vans.

3) Running Boards - again the van is very low this is just extra $$$ and will make it so you cannot have front mud guards.

4) Simulated Burlwood - NO!!! They are stick on pieces that go on top of the original dash. They do not look as good and the XLE wood, and make the buttons sink lower in... Also how long will they stay stuck on...

5) V.I.P.-RS3200 Plus Security System (V5) $249/119. I plan to install a kill-switch myself. Would this provide any value then.

Why the Kill switch... the Sienna has an engine immobilizer... I guess this would give you the glass break sensors and an alarm if the doors are forced open... However they still will not get the van. If some one is going to do a smash and grab they will have it done before you will have the chance to investigate what is going on....

6) Wheel locks - My van has these, they came with the package... I don't see the need... I mean who is going to take the time to jack up my van to remove the tires.... I think its just one more hassle when I go to change the tires,,,

7) Wireless Headphones - Now this is something I wish I had.... I did not get any and wish I had pushed my dealer into giving me some... The best price I have seen on one pair of these is $37 + shipping

8) DPS Hitch with Wire Harness - No way to expensive for about $100 you can get a class 3 hitch with a 2" received. And for another $20 you can get the wire harness
  • Options
    heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    If, in fact, there is a clear hood protector, then I would consider that. But the dark-colored one sold by Toyota makes the van look like it's wearing a mustache.

Skip the OEM front-end mask, too. I bought one a few weeks ago. It took me an hour and a half to put it on, and the gap between the headlights and bumper wasn't large enough to accomodate the tabs that are to hold it in place there. Plus, the instructions say it shouldn't get wet, and should be removed when you wash the car! No way, as I wash my car usually once a week. This would make it an all-day project.
    Can't decide whether to return it at my dealer and eat the re-stocking fee, or to save it for buggy road trips and bad winter weather.
    I think I might be better off just having the front bumper painted every two or three years.
  • Options
    HOOD FENDER MIRROR GRILLE KIT
    Clear Paint Protection Kit (Sienna -2004)

I don't have it yet, but before my big trip this fall, i'll have it!

found here:
    http://www.trdparts4u.com/

and you'll stop pullin' out your hair keep on taking off, and putting back the bra!

I ruined two of my Accords that way.