Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Toyota Sienna Accessories & Modifications

Comments

• Options
    familymanfamilyman Member Posts: 8
  • Options
    da763da763 Member Posts: 14
    I actually added a Toyota Canada DVD unit that retains the Rear Seat Audio (RSA) and adds the DVD player and screen in a new pod in the same location. No headliner cutting is required. Best of all, the DVD and RSA can both be used at the same time as the wireless headphones have two settings - one for DVD and one for RSA. The unit also interfaces with the stock stereo head unit and includes an FM modulator so that you can listen to the audio portion of the DVD over the van's speakers.

It took me about 2 hours to install the whole thing and looks completely stock. The only hard part about the installation was getting over disassembling the left side trim and dashboard to run the cables and hook-up to the head unit and power supply. My wife was more than a little concerned when she came into the garage and found her beautiful new van in pieces :)

I purchased this system on eBay for about $900 and it came with 2 sets of wireless headphones. The screen is, I believe, 8" diag., and is a widescreen format (16:9) so you can see DVDs as they're meant to be seen.

Good luck.
  • Options
    sienna04sienna04 Member Posts: 4
    In response to the Towing package query. I also have a 2004 CE and in Canada the towing package comes standard (you pay more though). I was very concerned about this as well. In the US it is an option. Just have one of the technicians look under the hood for the line leading from the Tranny to a separate cooler beside the rad.
  • Options
    sienna04sienna04 Member Posts: 4
    I am a newbie to this forum so be patient with me. Here is my question. I have an 04 Sienna with a class three hitch. Now, I want to be able to either provide more support to the rear end or raise it up an inch or two so that when I am pulling a trailer the hitch will not periodically hit the ground when I go over a larger bump or navigate a steep de/incline. This addition would need to be warranty acceptable and approved by Toyota. I have asked Toyota already and they are stalling me. They want my vin # and name before they will help. They said they need this info to better service my request. How true is that statement? If anyone can help me, please let me know.
  • Options
    shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    Hi, I hope to buy alloy wheel for my 2004 Sienna from INTERNET.
    The alloy wheel do not have covers of nuts, which came with
    Toyota Solara of size 16x7 5 bolt pattern 5 spoke. So I doubt that without special nuts, the existed nut will look ugly on alloy wheel.
    Anyone has any idea or comments? The wheel is MHT chrome alloy, and asking price is $325. Do you think what is a reasonable price?
  • Options
    heywood1heywood1 Member Posts: 851
    Well, I paid $400 for a set of four 17" Sienna alloys (never used), so $325 for one seems like a lot to me. (The price is probaby about 20% off full-blown retail. Check the price from a dealer to compare).
  • Options
    shuedshued Member Posts: 107
    Hi, guys:
    I have one question: when I try to buy aftermarket alloy wheel for my 2004 Sienna LE,
    almost all of tire center pick up wheel size 16x7, but OEM steel wheel size is 16x6.5.
    1): What is the size effect of this half inch width difference?
    2): It will give any trouble to the OEM tire P215/65R16? or I need to buy wider P225/65/R16 tire? Thanks.
  • Options
    doug889doug889 Member Posts: 60
    Hi,

I am interested in getting a Sienna XLE Ltd with NAV but will lose the 6 cd changer as a result. If I install a after market cd changer, will it mess up other electronic stuff?
    Thanks,
  • Options
    dlynch13dlynch13 Member Posts: 1
    Someone asked a question about DVD pre-wire. Was this question answered? I have an 2004 XLE and I have the 'DVD Prewire' option. I popped off the plastic bezel aroudn the Rear Seat Audio hub on the ceiling. I found two empty connectors that are there. One is clearly for power, with black, red, and orange wires. The other looks like it as if it has a sheilded wire pair which leads me to beleive that it is for RCA-style connectors leading to the input up front. I suspect that the audio 'mode' button up front that cycles through AM/FM1/FM2/CD/Tape will also cycle through this input, once there is a signal there. I suspect this is so because the mode switch does not stop at tape or CD unless the bays are loaded. I have yet to find an adapter or harness to connect. Anyone else have luck in this area?
  • Options
    deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    http://shop.store.yahoo.com/logjam/index.html

search for toy-aux connectors from PIE
  • Options
    devsiennadevsienna Member Posts: 70
    A while ago (6 months) ago I posted a long message about the Dual Port System cargo tray and box we got. One of the complaints I had about the system was that you had to remove the cargo box from the cargo tray in order to access stuff in the back of the minivan. It's a relatively minor complaint on an otherwise well designed accessory.

Well, it turns out that Cequent (the makers of the DPS accessories for Toyota) sell a swing-away mount that will allow you to swing the tray/box out of the way to make it easier to access stuff in the rear of the van. You still retain the ability to fold the tray up against the back of the van, but now you can swing the whole thing out of the way if you need something in the trunk. It also comes with the necessary extenders for the wiring for the lights for the tray itself.

I haven't changed out the mount yet, but it looks pretty straight-forward to do so. The part was $150 from an online hitch merchant with no sales tax and no shipping charges. It's too bad that Toyota didn't think to use the swingaway mount in the first place since it seems to make a lot more sense for use on a minivan.

If you are considering getting the DPS cargo tray/box setup, see if your parts department can order the swing-away mount instead of the fold-up mount.
  • Options
    While this doesn't address the warranty issue, you can get an air lift kit for the rear springs that will make towing less of a scraping nightmare. The following URL shows the kit that someone ordered and how they installed it. It looks like a really easy setup to do, one that I'm considering doing.

http://tinyurl.com/49fzk

Why Toyota doesn't offer this themselves is beyond me. They design a great van and some great accessories for it (like the DPS cargo tray/carrier), but somehow fall a little short on execution, like needing the swing-away mount for the cargo tray/carrier, or extra lift for towing something.
  • Options
    ericcpaericcpa Member Posts: 6
    My wife and I purchased a 2004 XLE with DVD. The manual does not describe if you can play the DVD over the stereo (instad of the wireless headphone), at least I have not found it yet. Does anyone know how, if it is possible... Thanks!
  • Options
    It's in the manual, but it's buried. To play the audio from the rear-dvd player through the stereo, hit the Disc button twice. This switches it to the AUX input which will then allow you to hear the DVD audio. Be prepared to turn up the volume in order to hear everything.
  • Options
    kssod1kssod1 Member Posts: 50
    I'm considering an 05 XLE AWD Limited but instead of the Toyota $1700 rear DVD system I am thinking about the Audiovox replacement headrests with built in LCD monitors. HAs anyone had these installed, and if so were is the DVD unit? In the OEM rear DVD were is the DVD player?
  • Options
    mikamika Member Posts: 7
    Can someone please tell me what is the major change(s) between '04 and '05 Sienna? The only change I see is MSRP, it is higher (of course!!!) on '05. Thank you!
  • Options
    indy93indy93 Member Posts: 97
    Can the 2nd row seats in the Sienna be modified to recline more? My wife would like the seats to recline like the front passenger seat. Is there a Voice Recognition option for the Sienna for 05?
  • Options
    hpanhpan Member Posts: 61
    Does anyone know how to get an external MP3 player to play on the JBL speakers? My 2005 XLE has the navigation and RES/DVD package. It comes with a standard video/audio RCA input at the 3rd row. I can connect my MP3 player to the RCA audio input. Although the RES/DVD source can be set to VIDEO, which is meant for the RCA input, the front input selection buttons (AM, FM and DISC, which switches between CD and DVD) don't provide for the VIDEO source. Hence I can't hear my MP3 while driving.
  • Options
    bbinwibbinwi Member Posts: 2
    I have an 05 LE in the works and need a hitch for it. What are your experiences with the Toyota DPS compared to aftermarket hitches by Valley, Drawtight, Reese, etc?
  • Options
    bbinwibbinwi Member Posts: 2
    Has any one put the Running Boards on the Sienna? How are they for durability? Can they hold a 200# man standing full weight on them?

Is the area exposed big enough to step on as a person exits the van stepping forward?
  • Options
    mdstatmdstat Member Posts: 7
    Any recommendations about those roof top cargo boxes.

Thule vs Yakima, size, easy intallation , etc.

Thanks
  • Options
    ilufxilufx Member Posts: 13
    i have a 2004 XLE. Has anybody installed after market moonroof/sunroof in XLE. is it true that since in the after market ones, since they have to cut the metal, it exposes the metal for potential of getting rusted in future. any preference over webasto v/s asc. also if i were to install an aftermarket dvd system on the roof will it be problematic to have both the dvd and the moonroof, especially since the XLE has a rear seat audio feature which i want to keep if possible.

any input will be very much appreciated
  • Options
    whodjawhodja Member Posts: 1
    Please forward any info you receive. I am planning the same thing.
  • Options
    jdconradjdconrad Member Posts: 11
    I have a 2004 Sienna XLE with the JBL Synthesis AM/FM radio, CD player & DVD. I would like to have satellite radio added, ( XM or Cirrus ), without have to find a place to mount the tuner on the dashboard. Is there anyway to run the satellite radio through the existing radio ??? If not, is there a satellite ready radio available to replace the existing radio and be compatible with the JBL system???
  • Options
    drdavedrdave Member Posts: 4
    We purchased a Yakima roof top carrier - the big, wide one vs. the long skinny one. Having moved from a big Chevy Express Van to the Sienna (and with 6 kids), we were in "storage shock" on our trips. We love the quality and ease of use of the Yakima. My 16 yr old and I can put it on in about 4 minutes - lift it off of the garage wall, place it directly in front of the roof rails, slide it backwards 8 inches and close the 4 cam locks. It opens from both sides, has locks that retract into the body, doesn't vibrate at highway speeds and appears to minimally affect MPG. Only problem is that it is 1" too high to clear the garage door.
  • Options
    solanasolana Member Posts: 2
    My 2004 LE needs a digital compass that tells what cardinal point I am heading to. I need a car compass to put on the dashboard or windshield simple but accurate. Has someone installed and liked a digital car compass? What brand and model?

Thank you in advance for your help.
  • Options
    davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
    goto brookstone I think they're on the web too...
  • Options
    bigvanmanbigvanman Member Posts: 1
    I have had the same problem, and I noticed others have as well. Did you ever get a satisfactory reply from the dealer? What happened in my case is that the rear speakers got damaged when the switch from DVD to CD or radio ocurred.
  • Options
    hotch41hotch41 Member Posts: 61
    I just bought and received color-keyed (artic frost) mudguards that I intend to install myself. Does anyone have any first-hand experience with installing them? I looked at the instructions and it seems the front mudguards are quite a bit easier to install than the rear. The instructions indicate that I have to drill a hole for the rear. Basically, I want to confirm if it's an easy or messy (difficult) job. Thank you in advance for sharing. I really don't want to take my Sienna to the dealer to install.
  • Options
    tildenberktildenberk Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I have a 2004 Sienna with NAV and want to install a 6 CD changer. Unfortunately, the NAV only comes with one.

Anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks.
  • Options
    klinklin Member Posts: 54
    sorry to post here if it is the right forum.

We just bought an AWD LE, but I forgot if it needs chain in the snow country...

Trip is tomorrow, but I forgot to buy and stores are out of stock for the tire size :<

Thanks
  • Options
    marcriesmarcries Member Posts: 5
    I'm considering purchasing a 2005 LE AWD with the premium JBL system. I would really like a CD-Changer but I'm not about to spend the $6K+ more to upgrade to an XLE AWD with the JBL w/6-disc changer (I don't need or want the DVD player). It would have been nice if they didn't ransom the 6-disc changer into the XLE (actually, it would have been nice to have a MP3 and/or WMA player as well).

Has anyone installed a CD-changer into their 04/05 LE or early year? Does any one know if the LE JBL system can control an aftermarket CD changer w/o using FM Modulator? Or has anyone replaced their JBL unit with an aftermarket MP3/WMA head with a CD changer? Thanks.
  • Options
    justgrovingjustgroving Member Posts: 1
    Dear hotch41,

where did you buy the color-keyed mud guards? would like to get them for my silver sienna
  • Options
    mdr2005mdr2005 Member Posts: 3
    How has your DVD worked out so far? I am considering buying a sienna LE AWD and adding a DVD myself do you have any suggestions? Where to you purchase your DVD?
  • Options
    davenowdavenow Member Posts: 171
  • Options
    siennadad1siennadad1 Member Posts: 1
    I bought the new 2005 XLE Limited and want to know if there is anyway to keep the front dvd movie display working while the car is in motion so that the passenger in the front can watch the movies the rear passengers are watching. I know that the display works while the cars parking break is engaged. Does anyone have a solution?
    Thanks
  • Options
    doug889doug889 Member Posts: 60
    I tried to do the same thing. I have a 05 Ltd with NAV. There is NO room to put a cd changer under the front passenger seat! The factory cd player doesn't play MP3. But you can play another cd in the DVD player too.
  • Options
    deepandeepan Member Posts: 342
    this is most likely illegal. visit the other sienna club forum and do a search if youre a very keen on this. I have read postings whereby they bypass the parking brake.
  • Options
    redhead2redhead2 Member Posts: 1
    Not sure if you've already installed these but I noticed there is someone selling installation instruction along with detailed pictures on Ebay. Item #: 7960823955
  • Options
    randycprandycp Member Posts: 2
    Easy job Just have someone hold the guard tight to the truck before drilling. I didn't have any help so have a small gap on one of the rear guards.
  • Options
    randycprandycp Member Posts: 2
    CAN THE SIENNA REALLY TOW WITHOUT HURTING THE TRANSMITION
  • Options
    castorccastorc Member Posts: 1
    If you still have it, could you send me this information also? Thanks.
  • Options
    pimpindadpimpindad Member Posts: 1
    does anyone know if the sienna can be fitted with custom rims and tires that have a slimmer profile?
  • Options
    jim2jodijim2jodi Member Posts: 1
    If I may ask, did you ever purchase the swing-away bracket and if so, where did you end up getting it? I am having a hard time finding one to purchase.

Thanks! :)
  • Options
    pb4562pb4562 Member Posts: 3
    im thinking about installing on my sienna which is alos artic frost. can you pls email where you bought, price and how did you get them color-keyed?

thanks
  • Options
    cablekccablekc Member Posts: 54
    Did you ever find the answer to this?

I have the same problem......I plugged my XBox into the video/audio source and was able to hear the Audio through the Wireless Headset but couldn't figure out through the remote or Audio system in the front how to pipe the sound from the source into the Car speakers.

Keeping in mind that I have the factory installed DVD system.....has anyone figured it out yet?

I can't find it in the Manual. If its in the manual....its buried deep inside where I can't find it.
  • Options
    hows it look? can you pls send some pics if available? thanks
  • Options
    kmead - thanks for the pictures - im ready to install on my 05 xle! Thx!
  • Options
    dcalkinsdcalkins Member Posts: 5
    I just bought a used 2004 Sienna XLT Limited with DVD and NAV. We've driven 400 miles so far and love it.

Questions: Where is the glass break sensor located if I have one and is it easy to install one if I don't have one? Any suggestions on where to buy one if I need to? Is there someplace to plug it in? I checked the wiring under the driver side dash as described in the Tacoma forum but haven't been able to find a white box with a sensitivity control or any extra connectors. I did find the black sonar module with a volume control. I wouldn't be surprised if I already have it since it seems to have everything else except running boards.

Thanks,

Dave
  • Options
    santacruz1santacruz1 Member Posts: 11
    Check out www.tirerack.com. Their on-line tools let you know what rims and tires will work and you can even see it on your van to get a better perspective.