Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Any 1999 F-250 owners?

Comments

• mroffshoremroffshore Member Posts: 148
    kcram,

If I understand you correctly, this fw-15 is a liquid and you add some at each oil change. what do you do if the coolant level is full. For example, My gas engines rarely need to be topped off with coolant or water so there is no room to add anything unless you drain coolant out. I only notice coolant loss in my vehicles over maybe 14-24 months. Now are diesel engines the same in terms of coolant loss over long periods of time or is there fluid loss more frequently due to heat and pressure which would allow room to add more coolant or fw-15 into the system over short periods of time. I can't see how you can add more fw-15 at each oil change or every other oil change if you do not drain some coolant out of the system to make room for the additive. If you have to do that it sounds like a pain in the neck and a waste of money. But if you have to do that every 3 oil changes I do not think that would be excessive. What do you think?

Mroffshore
  • KCRamKCRam Member Posts: 3,516
    I don't remember the exact percentage of additive you are supposed to use in the radiator - there are a few sites on the web that discuss that. I would assume that yes, you probably should drain some out, but I imagine it wouldn't require flushing the system.

My Cummins gets topped off maybe once a year - I'll toss a 50/50 mix into the overflow bottle when it gets below the safe mark, but I hardly ever burn off fluids - they just "wear" out.

The fun part will be when Nav designs a smaller diesel for Ford's light duty trucks. Ford just contracted Nav to develop a diesel for the F150/250 LD/Expedition/Navigator line, so we'll see if they're dumb enough to use cylinder sleeves again, when Cummins has proven that they're certainly not necessary for a (comparatively) small diesel.
  • BrutusBrutus Member Posts: 1,113
    There is a road test of the Superduty F-250 4x4 V-10 in the Wall Street Journal today (6/12/98) on page W-3. It's not your typical review. It's written by a lady who does not normally drive big pickups. The article was more for entertainment value than to provide a technical review.
  • richflynnrichflynn Member Posts: 147
    On the anti-cavitation fluid for the radiator issue. The manual says to add 9-10 oz. every third oil change or every 15,000 miles. Every coolant change, add either two pints or quarts. (I'm in the office and can't remember, but heck that's three years away.)

Assuming that the additive is sold in English measuring unit quantities, the 9 or 10 ounces makes a lot of sense to me!

Rich
  • mroffshoremroffshore Member Posts: 148
    kcram,
    I read what professor Rich posted, in terms of the frequency you add to the coolant system. That would seem much more reasonable to me every 15K. There is not a doubt in my mind you will have to make room for that additive if every thing is functioning properly therefore, it will not be too bad every 12-14 months to drain a little coolant out and add the fw-15.

Thanks,
    Mroffshore
  • sleeprsleepr Member Posts: 16
    pworange...

I would believe that the High Altitude Package would include a heavy-duty "cooling" system, battery and a recalibrated chip for a leaner
    mixture in the thin air up by you. You would think that the standard chip would "map" for both high and low altitudes, but it may not have the accuracy at the wide ranges you will see. A chip specifically mapped for high altitude shouldn't be over-lean at low altitudes in this day and age...just not dead-on-accurate. It would be better performing at height tho.

I suggest that you cruise Ford's site to find out more on this subject...or simply call them.
  • mikef150mikef150 Member Posts: 35
    Another one of those strange things Ford does......A whole line of "superduty" trucks, yet they make auxilary rear springs and rear stabilizer bar an option.....a friend with a new F350 V8 installed his bed insert dump body (800 lbs) and loaded it with woodchips and logs....no helper springs or rear stabilizer bar and it handeled very poorly...a lot of sway...worse than his '92 F250.....and this is what the truck was made to do, right?...someone please correct me if i'm wrong.....apparently they don't include the springs & stab. bar in the trailer tow pkg either....you have to get either the snow plow pkg, or camper pkg to get this (according to EDMUNDS)....this is screwed up.
    Mike
    There is a heavy duty suspension option that they only recommend if you are going to be doing heavy duty stuff all the time. It's not a costly option. The reason that it is an option is that it's not necessary to add the stiffness to the truck unless you truly need the extra suspension.
  • RuztiRuzti Member Posts: 1
    I plan to purchase a new pickup with the capabilities of towing a small 5th wheel aprox. 5000#. I'm having trouble deciding between a Dodge 1500 and Ford f150 both with the larger V8 engine. Is one really better than the other or is this just apples and orange? Hoping for light in the darkness.
    Ruzti...

I recommend that you look at the new Chevy/GMC. If you're going to be towing frequently, power is #1 and the new GMs have it in spades! The standard GM engines are 20-30% more powerful than the competition and the truck is much more refined.

I own a Ford and am a Ford fan, but I'm realistic too. If I was towing, I'd buy a Chevy.

Good luck!
    D'oh! The Warranty Gold info is in the FWI (Finance, Warranty and Insurance discussion!

So sorry .
  • HHMHHM Member Posts: 4
    Picked up my new '99 SD on Wednesday now have about 250 miles.
    Have had Powerstrokes and Cummins in the past, nothing compares to this.
    Mine is a '99 F-250 SD Powerstrokes single wheel crew cab white with sand color two tone on the bottom, Lariat with automatic transmission and 3.73 gears.
    no towing as yet but worst mpg around town is 16
    and 24 on the highway at 60 .

I do have one question:
    I know that the vacuum works off a pump, but
    doesn't it maintain any
    vacuum after the truck is shut down? My air
    conditioner is in the
    "Defroster mode(no vacuum position)" every time I start the engine,
    and seems to take to long to pump up to switch to the Air conditioner
    mode.I know this may not be a big problem, or may even be normal,
    but if it ain't normal I want to get it fixed.
    any comments ?
    Harv.
  • dcox1dcox1 Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to order a F-250 superduty supercab with the V-10. Still undecided on short, or long wheelbase....Have heard very little on the V-10. Reliablity??? Looking for any information.
  • rite3rite3 Member Posts: 69
    dcoxl, I drove the short box super cab with the v10 and did not like it. The one I drove had the 4.30 limited slip rear end in it and it was a lariat 4x4. The truck was punchy and hard to drive smoothly. It was also to short for my tastes, the ride was bouncy and much rougher than the long wheelbased trucks. I have kids and I didnt like the rear seat in the super cab as it did not provide enough head protection. Fuel tanks will also be a consideration for you. Shortys get the 29 gal and long wheel base trucks get the larger tank. I think its 38 gal but I am not sure. I ordered the F350 crew cab XLT with the 3.73 ls rear end and got all the options to get it as close to the lariat as I could. Good luck, hope this helps.
  • HuejanusHuejanus Member Posts: 3
    Wah Wah Wah, I have kids and didnt like the rear seat. What kind of crap is that.Real trucks dont have back seats. Get a life will you!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • mharde2mharde2 Member Posts: 278
    What an idiot! Go somewhere else with your crappie attitude....
    I guess Huejanus hasn't noticed that alot of the fleet trucks are crew cabs so they can carry the work crew.

Extended cabs are convenient for their additional lockable storage space, and it's nice to occasionally be able to carry that extra passenger or two.

My guess is that this guy is related to that other loser who visited our site recently and then bolted. It's probably the same guy.
  • pworangepworange Member Posts: 57
    While I've been waiting for my F250 SD. I've been bantering back and forth with a friend of mine who owns a 97 GMC Sierra, Z71. He's got 12600 on it and the brakes need to be reworked. Pads on the front but most brake shops won't replace just the pads they insist on turning the rotors as well. Question is: Why did the pads go out after just 12000 miles. He doesn't tow and never operates near gross weight. All highway miles. Any thoughts? thanks
    Hugeanus, I respect your right to post your opinion, allthough I can tell you probably wont be back to read my response. If you do have more truck than a F350 CREWCAB 4X4 with the V10 sitting in front of your trailer, I would be interested in knowing just what that rig is. Remember, skate boards, bikes and your moms pinto wont really count soooo..... whatcha drivin kid?.
    pworange,

My front pads only make it about 15-16K on average. I have the heaviest Dodge you can get (3500 Club Cab 4x4 with the Cummins and automatic) and a truck's weight does take its toll. You're talking about constant weight transfer whenever you brake, and since half ton pads aren't nearly as beefy as they could be, your buddy's Z71 is taking the brunt of the trucks weight whenever he hits the whoa pedal. Ironically, Delco/Delphi supplies the brakes on Dodge Rams. I have NEVER had my rotors cut - Midas has been doing my brakes, and they see no need whatsoever - I get to the pads before they dig in, and whenever I get new pads, they squeal for a few weeks as they seat, then I don't hear from them again until they hit the wear indicators (usually about 10-11 months later).
  • cdeancdean Member Posts: 1,110
    heavy trucks with front discs and rear drums will always have the front pads wear out MUCH faster than the drums. all weight is shifted to the front when stopping, plus, given equal hydraulic pressure, disc brakes will absorb more energy than drums. discs are better than drums. the new chevys (and fords?) with 4 wheel disc brakes should show major improvement in braking performance and life.

still 12000 is too quick. I've got a 2X4 chevy and i have 80k on the original pads. back ones still look like new. you can still see the factory mill marks in the rear brake drum. front ones are starting to get close, i expect to start hearing the indicators within the next 10k miles.

i have heard from a few folks that front pads wear fast on chevy 4x4s. but not everyone. kinda puzzling. maybe gms 4x4 doesn't allow enough room for a big enough pad. that would be my guess. but why doesn't everyone have that prob.

if someone tells you you're drums need turning every 12000, either they are screwing you, or your drums are made of play-dough.
    Has anyone put a pickup camper (cabover) on their 99 Superduty F-250 or F-350 yet? I've heard that you have to have 2x4 in the bed so the camper clears the cab. I've also heard the jacks don't reach the ground. All of these things are easily remedied, but I'd be interested in hearing anyone's experience. I'd also like to know what kind of camper and how much it weighs. How does the truck handle? I've ordered a F-350 4x4 SRW long bed and eventually plan to get a camper. I'm curious as to how heavy of a camper I can get with the SRW.
    Well I just finished reading the review of the superdutys from Edmunds. I dont know how long its been posted, but I do have a few comments. Some times while reading text the voice inside sounding out what I am reading takes on the personality or accents or traits of the person whom, in my minds eye, I think wrote it. In this case it was ivy league and a non jean wearer. I didnt get the impression that either reviewer had owned trucks of this kind before. The piece could have been in road and track, it is that generic. Also I dont understand the part about the slider not working in the test truck, was it broken?. The writers seemed confused as to why the trucks they tested operated as they were designed and marketed to. I understand that reviewers have a huge plate that I am sure is quite full, especially in an enviroment like we have today. With so much info being put online. I just wish I could see more s.d. reviews that were really ment for people who are looking for a heavy duty truck. Not for the folks looking for half tons who need enough info to make their decision that the big trucks are not going to meet their needs. No offence intended. Thanks.
  • SuburpanSuburpan Member Posts: 2
    Question, does anyone have a Crew Cab Dually 7.3,4x2 or 4x4 with the new 6sp? Just wanted to hear mileage on this truck, and what it was like to have a granny gear, for maybe pulling a boat up a ramp or pulling a building down main street. Thanks.
  • pswannpswann Member Posts: 10
    Agree completely with Rite3 regarding the Edmunds review of Super Duties. It's a ridiculous piece of writing, the authors of which seem *afraid* of the vehicle they're reviewing. I don't mind a critical review, but this one just seemed like they sent the wrong writer.
  • marc2marc2 Member Posts: 4
    Does anyone have any gas mileage data on the 5 speed 5.4 or V10 gas? I am leaning toward the
    5 speed and I am deciding on which of the two gas engines to go with.

I test drove a 5.4 5 speed and found the shifter a bit notchy but I expect that to wear in after a few thousand miles. Any comment on either the 5 speed or fuel mileage would be appreciated.
  • vanman73vanman73 Member Posts: 3
    Is anybody towing a 10,000 to 12,000 lb. 5th-wheel with a 250 - 350 superduty. 2-wheel or 4-wheel drive ?!
    Thanks
  • go4itktmgo4itktm Member Posts: 1
    To vanman... I don"t currently own a 250 but because I plan to I was talking to a guy this past week who has a 1999 Super Duty 250 4WD with the Tubo diesel in it. He pulls a 10,000 pound fifth wheel,gets around 13 MPG while towing and claims to be able to put it on cruise without the tranny downshifting more than twice in 300 miles. He has 3.73 axles also. I am convinced this will be my next new vehicle.
    Hope I was helpful
  • AirwolfAirwolf Member Posts: 142
    After doing research for about a year on trucks, I know what I plan to pay. But something I'd like clarified by people who have recently bought an F-250.
    When you pay $200 or $500 over invoice, I'm assuming that's before sales tax, etc. Or are you guys paying "$500 over invoice out the door?"

Thanks,
    Ryan
    Ryan,

I paid $1100 over invoice for my Ram 3500, but that was still $3600 below sticker. It worked out to 3% over invoice, which everybody agrees is a very fair figure - gives the dealer plenty of profit (when they include the holdback), and saves you plenty off the sticker.

Unless the dealer specifically offers you $200 over invoice, asking that on a $35,000 truck is a tiny bit unreasonable in my book. In a restaurant, you tip based on a percentage of the bill - the server didn't do any more or less physical work bringing you a burger and fries versus a steak and baked potato.
    kcram, I understand the percentage part. And have for a while. In fact you saw that formula Brutus typed it over there in the "Ext. Cabs OK for Real people" forum.
    My thought was, during negotiations, when you arrived at your final price ($1100 in your case), was that the TOTAL amount over dealer invoice, or did you then ADD sales tax and tag and title?
    I don't know if the way I'm typing is explaining it clearly enough (you know how that can be) :)
    The amount over dealer invoice is not the out the door cost. Tax, tags, etc shouldn't be factored into the equation. Those are nonnegotiable items that you add on after the negotiating is finished.
    Agree with Brutus - in my case, the $1100 was predelivery, i.e., the truck's selling price was invoice plus $1100. Tax and registration was extra.

Te funny part was, there was no negotiation. I made the Dodge dealers in my area bid on my order. I mailed a spec sheet to the dealers and said "this is exactly what i want, I'm willing to wait for it - how much?" I sent out the bids right after Christmas 1995, I placed the order in February 1996, took delivery in May 1996 - and the winning dealer's bid never changed one penny from January 3rd to May 24th. In fact, when the truck arrived at the dealer, the salesman recalculated the price right in front of me (using whatever price formula he had written somewhere), and came up with the exact same figure he did in January.
    Kcram and Brutus,
    That's what I thought, I just wanted clarification for my own mind! :) Thanks.

Ryan
  • stanfordstanford Member Posts: 606
    I noticed some of you were in the Dallas area -- if you ordered one of the new trucks and got a good deal, which dealership did you use? I tried a couple recently who pointed out that they couldn't keep them on the lot for more than a few days (true) and weren't willing to negotiate below sticker.

I don't mind waiting for a special order -- does this make a difference in the price? And is it possible to get custom colors (am settling for black, but the color choices are truly pathetic for the SDs compared to their other products. Would have liked something like that deep red avail. on the Expeditions...)

As far as the extensive-maintenance discussion goes, I've got a 93 F350 CC with the IDI Diesel (non-turbo) and have had no problems with it. No special additives or maintenance beyond oil and filter changes, and its still going strong well after 100K. It has the 5 speed with 4:10s though -- never again in traffic. I figure the Auto with 3.73s will still be stronger than I'm used to :-)

Has anyone here added one of those Banks PowerPack type systems to their PowerStroke? If so, did it perform as advertised, and did it burn up the engine faster?
  • footefoote Member Posts: 11
    Have ordered a F250 w/ 7.3 ,auto, 4wd , super cab, 142 wb & 265 at tires. Can anybody let me know what kind of mileage to expect.
  • chadw1chadw1 Member Posts: 22
    Stamford,

If you are looking for a good deal go to Isbell ford's web site. I agree with Brutus $99 under dealer invoice is great. I also went to a local dealer and told them of the deal, but they do so much business the told me no way. Later, I went to a smaller dealer that wants to increase the amount of trucks they get a year and they agreed to the deal ($99 under). So go to those smaller local dealers to see what they might do.

Some other advice look at financing over the internet. They are the best rates I have been able to find. (locally or nationally) I used People First Finance at www.peoplefirst.com

Hope I was a help
    cw
  • kirkpamakirkpama Member Posts: 64
    I just got back from a beach trip and wanted to post some gas mileage info along with some other tid bits. I have a 250SD 4x4, supercab, LB, 3.73 gears, V10, 5 speed, and I have 265/85 buckshot mudders on the truck. I average 11 city and on the beach trip, I got 13.4 highway. It is 500 miles to the beach on way for me.
    After arriving at the beach, I became very upset when I got back into the truck to go to the store and the oil pressure gauge only can up for a second and bottomed out. I pulled into a BP station and checked my oil (the truck only had 1600 miles on it) and there wasn't any oil on the dip stick at all. I didn't check it before I left, because I ASSumed it would be fine in a new truck. It only holds 5.7 qts. and I put 4 qts in it and it still wasn't up to the max mark on the stick. It ate 2 more qts. on the way home. The truck only has 2260 miles on it and I have put 7 qts. of oil in it and it is at the max on the stick now. I WILL be calling the dealer first thing in the morning.
    If you have a V10, check your oil in case you have a leak in the engine like mine. It is burning the oil, not dripping on the ground. A quart every 350 miles in not acceptable. I did hear a rumor today about Ford shutting down production of the new trucks because of so many problems. Has anyone heard anything like this?
    I think the rumor is certainly only rumor. However, I hope the oil thing was a lemon issue. I have to believe it is because this is the first I've heard this complaint and I do log into alot of other sites.

I'd ask your opinion of the truck other than the problem, but I can only imagine that I wouldn't even be paying attention to anything other than the oil issue. Let us future V-10 owners know what you find out.
    My opinion of this truck is still AWESOME! The dealer asked me to bring the truck by and they would correct the problem. I have been lucky with my past trucks, I guess I was due for a problem. My guess is that it is just a leaky seal and can be fixed fairly easily. We'll see.
  • crb1crb1 Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering buying a new 99 250 club cab but I would only consider the diesel. I had been undecided between the Ford and the equivalent in the Dodge, after a test drive of both within an hour. I was convenced that the Ford is the best buy of the 2. This was largely decided by how it was in the cab,how it felt at the wheel. I was amazed at how quiet the Ford was, quieter that most cars. The Dodge made much more noise in the cab. The Ford had other advantages too. 4 wheel disc brakes, more torque (500) compared to the Dodge (430), there were other advantages in favor of the Ford. This is all coming from a GM diehard too. And I own a 89 Dodge 350 with the Cummins engine which I bought new, and it is great. No problems after 71K miles. Very noisy in cab.
    It may be a little while before I have any updates on the oil leak. The dealer must justify the need to open an engine before the factory will allow them to do it. They topped off my oil and want me to bring it back when it needs more oil so that they can track the oil consumption. This will give them the info they need to convince Ford to allow then to open the engine. They did check for external leaks and found none. It may be a month or more before I put enough miles on it to take it back to them. If you are a V-10 owner or soon will be a V-10 owner, check you oil to make sure you don't have the same problem that I have.
  • richflynnrichflynn Member Posts: 147
    kirkpama,
    What you have is a good service advisor at a service oriented dealer. Foster the relationship! After the problem is fixed, slip your SA a six pack or two. I've done it over the years and it has done wonders.
    Rich
    I was doing some more research on the F250 and find that, now, both the V10 and the Diesel have a Power Take-Off Option ($250). I know about the Diesel, but not the V10. I was going to order a V10. Does it really exist and what's it do for the gas engine, since most gas engines take off faster than a Diesel anyway. What am I missing?

Thanks,
    Ryan
    The PTO is not for the engine, it is for other accessories like a winch that is powered by the PTO on the transmission. I believe this is correct, but feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
    Airwolf,

I found this information from the following link:

http://www.truckworld.com/Truck-Tests/99-F-Series/f-series-2.html

INDUSTRY FIRST INTEGRAL POWER TAKEOFF PROVISION
    WITH AN AUTOMATIC TRANSMISSION

An automatic transmission Power Takeoff (PTO) provision is available on all Super Duty F-Series models with either the 6.8-liter TritonTM V-10 gas or 7.3-liter V-8 diesel engine as a purchased option.

The PTO system was designed in cooperation with aftermarket power equipment suppliers to create Ford-specific aftermarket units that adapt to the interface. The PTO provides auxiliary power through the driveline to run devices like snowplows, aerial lifts, tow trucks or dump trucks.

"Businesses are finding that it's getting harder and harder to hire drivers who can operate manual transmissions," Guys said. "Owners would prefer automatic transmissions, but until now, there were no power takeoff applications available on automatics. We know they'll be really pleased when they find out we'll be offering an automatic PTO."

PTO features include:
    Left hand, non-standard SAE direct-mount PTO provision.
    Continuous duty-torque rating of 120 foot-pounds (170 foot-pounds peak).
    Controlled-compression interface gasket that eliminates the need for qualifing gear backlash.
    Increased output for a broader range of customer uses.
    Lower aftermarket costs to the customer.
    Shorter vehicle prep time and less cost for commercial fleets versus clutch pump installations.
    Integrated design to preserve cargo space.
    Expanded Super Duty F-Series offerings to niche-end customers.
    Thanks so much for the link, and I guess I was thinking of it doing something else. So a follow-up question to those in the know: Is it worth it if I'm going to install a Warn winch and hardly ever use it?
    If I read that right, it's for Ford-specific applications, which would suit me, but Warn isn't. And people have had them on automatics for a long time.

Wondering,
    Ryan
  • mark12mark12 Member Posts: 1
    I recently talked to a guy with a 1999 F250 twd supercab with the 7.3 and an auto trans. He said that his fuel mileage was 14 to 15 combined city and highway miles. He also said that he had 9,000 miles on the vehicle and that the power was incredible. He owned a 1997 F150 previously and said he liked the truck, but the cab wasn't big enough for him, he was rather large and I figure that not having him in the truck would account for 3 to 4 miles extra per gallon(joking) 6 to 7 would be more like it. I'm currently leasing a 97 F150 and it's time to upgrade to a stronger truck. I tow a 3,500 lb. trailer throughout the western U.S. and look forward to the increased performance and fuel economy of the 7.3, not to mention the looks of the truck!
  • jim2jim2 Member Posts: 43
    Kirkpama:

I talked to a Ford service manager yesterday about your oil leak problem. Said he had not heard of any V10 problem like that but said the automotive industry standard for oil comsumption is 1 qt. per 900 miles. If it turns out you are burning no more than 1 qt. per 900 miles, Ford may not choose to help you unless you have a dealer willing to go the extra mile for you in dealing with Ford. This same service manager used to work for Toyota and he said Toyota has the same policy.

I would be interested in knowing what other Ford service managers out there have to say about this 1 qt. per 900 mile industry standard. Is this true or not?
    Jim2,

I think 1 qt./900 miles is too much. I'll accept 1 qt./3000 miles (every oil change). In my case, 1 qt./300 miles is definitely too much and the dealer agreed. I called Ford directly and told them that I wanted a new engine. They said that if it was fixable, then they could only fix it, not replace it. This is the answer I expected, but I thought I would give it a try. I have a new truck and feel that it should have a new engine, not one that has been torn down and rebuilt.
This discussion has been closed.