Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protege Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    newpro4menewpro4me Member Posts: 14
    Hello everyone!!!

I just discovered this great site and wanted to join in the fun. I have a 2000 Protege ES with 35K miles on it. Excellent car, just change the oil, put gas in it and zoom.
    Quick question, the driver's side power window switch has an auto down function. (Push the switch all the way down and the window goes down automatically) Does anyone know if the only difference is the switch, the housing, the button?
    If the switch is the only difference, I would like to order a switch and install in the passenger door, so it will be auto down as well.

Anyone done this or know if all I have to do is change the switch?
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    The one touch down is a function of the switch itself. However, the switch in the driver's door is a complete unit of four switches and of course the passenger side is 1 switch. You could take apart the switch if you are creative, but to get the one touch mechanism, you would need to buy the driver's side switch assembly. At $100-$150 depending on production date, you might just let you finger do a bit more work.

:)
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    just for discussion sake(since I'll probably never do it myself) and to keep the thread interesting, if I remember correctly, the 1.8L in 2000 ES is derived from the Miata. I remember reading/hearing that the Miata's engine can be turbocharged, my question is, is it conceivable that the 1.8L in the ES can also be turbocharged?

told you this is out of nowhere, purely for my own curiosity I guess...
  • Options
    nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    now wouldn't that be nice... ALthough i don't know how much it would cost, but one guy on the protegetech website is putting a 2.0L 170HP Turbo engine in.. the engine alone costs $2K..
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    1.8l on 99-00 was derived from the 626.
    1.6l on 99-00 was derived from the miata 1.8l.

open the hood of a 626 and a miata and you will know what I am talking.
  • Options
    gitarzangitarzan Member Posts: 66
    My factory mudguards and cargo net arrived today. I ordered them over the web from Mazdastuff.com last weekend.

The guards went on real easy and look nice. Almost like a ground effect. It took me about 10 minutes to do all four wheels. Nicely molded and the look like they really belong there. It's nice having the real thing.

You have to drill two holes for the cargo net, but it, too, goes on easy as pie.

Last weekend I got one of those little convex mirrors that you stick onto the driver side mirror. It looks a little goofy but it's quite functional. I can see the entire lane beside me right up to where it comes into my field of vision. No blind spot.
  • Options
    it actually looks very nice. one small convex at the end of the mirror. Neat and very very useful.

I would not drive a car without one.
  • Options
    Actually I like the way it looks too, but I thought I'd politically hedge my bets. :)

Mine's a small rectangular mirror in the lower right quadrant. I moved the main mirror in as tight as it would go, then stuck the convex on it "lightly" so there would be no interference with the main mirror's motion. I then moved the main mirror back to the regular position and made sure the convex was on straight. It was, so then I pushed it on nice and snug.
  • Options
    I just put my head against the window, and move the mirror out until I can barely see the edge of the car.. then driving normally, the mirrow is aimed at the blind spot. You can do the same with the other mirrow by leaning over the center counsole, and doing the same..
  • Options
    the size of about 1" or 1-1/4 ". blends beautifully with the curvature of the mirror edges on the lower extreme end. Gitarzan, the rectangular would look a bit goofy :)))
  • Options
    Naw, The rectangular mirror fits nicely in the angular lower right corner. It looks very "factory". I'm going to do a photoshoot on my Pro in a few weeks. I'll post the pix.

The round mirrors look OK, I saw one yesterday on newish Mustang but it did have an aftermarket look to it.
  • Options
    Here's another tiny mod I made.

You know how the electro-lock rocker button on the driver's side is basically just a molded black oval with a bump on one end. I'm always fumbling around trying to find it, esp. at night.

I took a dayglo orange sticker, a hole puncher and punched out a dot. I stuck the dot onto the top center of the rocker button. The day-glo orange is easy to see, provides a target and is visible as long as there is any light available, such as courtesy light, ambient street lighting, etc. I did a nice clean punch and good centering. It's looks good and I find the button first time every time, now. It's also raised a little and I find the tactile feedback to be better.
  • Options
    I can't do that. I feel disconnected unless I can see the very edge of the car in the mirror. I need a reference point.

If I pointed my mirrors way out like that, I'd have to put the convex mirror on facing inward so I could see my car. :)
  • Options
    Exactly Gitarzan. Need to see who's right on my [non-permissible content removed] :)
  • Options
    can somebody tell me what is the biggest tire size that the 99 protege can accomodate?

eg. 205/55R15...any problems?
  • Options
    speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    Speaker sizes....from a few posts back....

Fronts are either 5x7 or 6x8. Either should git without any modifications. I had the front driver's door apart the other day to finish stripping the tint off the front side windows and got a good look at the fronts. The rears are 6x9's without a doubt. Some people have mentioned putting speakers in the rear doors, and I'd guess they are also 5x7's or 6x8's like the front doors, but I'm not sure. I do know that there are no speakers in there right now though.

Regards,

Pete
  • Options
    I'd bet the rear door speakers are an option in Japan, Europa, or OZ.
  • Options
    fritz1224fritz1224 Member Posts: 398
    chikoo; mickey thompson L 60's should do just fine.
  • Options
    fritz1224 - what's L60?
  • Options
    L60: Probably some huge mud tire...

• Options
    safeiresafeire Member Posts: 2
    Hello! This week, I'm receiving my first official all-mine car, a 2001 ES Pro with GT package (it's a Canadian package) in black. I've been really excited for the past couple weeks since I signed the first round of papers. I think my friends are quite sick of me by now.

Now that the short intro is out of the way, I have a question: My dealer threw in some locking nuts for the wheels, but I'm wondering how they work... and I'd like to have some idea before I pick it up, rather than having to ask the dealer. Can anyone enlighten me?
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    Janet, wheel locks are special lug nuts that hold your alloy wheels on to the wheel hubs. The locks are integrated into the lugs and will prevent the theft of your wheels and tires. Wheel locks are one of the many accessories Mazda offers to complement and personalize your 2001 ES PRO. There is pro and con to wheel locks. The pro is kind of obvious, only a really dumb thief would attempt to steal alloy wheels with wheel locks installed, hehe! The con, do not lose the key or leave it behind, its a real problem to change a flat tire without the wheel lock key, lol!! Nonetheless, if your dealer is adding free wheel lock nuts to the deal, I say "way cool!"

Respectfully;
    Larry
  • Options
    norcannorcan Member Posts: 72
    Moonroof wind deflector.
    Pro'ers - has anyone with moonroof done a before / after with deflector installation? How much difference does it make to interior wind noise, how fast you can go, etc. Also how is the deflector installed?
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    Are the pre-drilled holes already there for the factory mudguards? And how hard are they to put on? I wanna get some and install them myself, but I have yet to go and look at the car for the holes that are there already. I keep saying I am going to do it, but never do. I went to get my cargo net put in at the dealer, but bought one from Pep Boy's instead of the dealer, and they wouldn't put it in. Oh well, I will just have to do it myself then, I guess.
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Yeah, there are pre-drilled holes for the factory mudgaurds. They are extremely easy to install if you have an ounce of mechanical ability. I bought the factory cargo net, and you must drill holes in the plastic liner of the trunk. That was pretty easy too, just make sure you use the right size drill bit.
  • Options
    What size drill bit? And where in the plastic liner? Are the directions pretty consise with the cargo net?
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    I believe you need a 5/16 drill bit or 8mm but the standard size will be a lot easier to find than a metric size bit. They both will work for the factory net. As far as where to drill, it is not marked, but the directions tell you where. I didn't measure like I was supposed to, but I got them close enough. I am not sure if these suggestions apply to the pep boys net though. Good luck.
  • Options
    conheadyconheady Member Posts: 77
    ..with all you guys/gals getting the mudgaurds... I finally broke down and ordered some from MazdaStuff. $70 seems a little too expensive, but hell, my pro deserves it.

Anyone esle get the new issue of Zoom Zoom Magazine? It had a survey asking what I'd like to see in future issues. I added 2 things... feature Protege Mods and a Mail order store for purchasing acessories (at discount).
  • Options
    protegextwoprotegextwo Member Posts: 1,265
    However, I think they look awesome on the Protege.

-Larry
  • Options
    Mud Guards (or Mud Guardz for the younger folks) could not be much easier. The rear ones go one with a couple of lag screws into retainer clips. Pop on the clips, screw the flaps on. A socket set will come in handy. The fronts are almost as easy. You have to remove a screw under the car body put the flap on and put the screw back, but through the flap. The rest of it is about the same as the rear. Honest, with a philips head screwdriver and a socket set, it's a 10 minute job.

============

The Cargo net does require a little drilling. Read the instructions first and read them well. It's not complex, but it may save you some small trouble. I made a paper template based on the offset specs of the hole, lined the paper up on the trunk liner and drilled. Tools? A small flat head screwdriver to pry the pushed-in fasteners out (easy), an adjustable open end wrench or pliers to start the screws for the net hooks. I used an old glove to protect the plastic net hooks from the metal pliers. It was also a 10 minute job, once you round up the drill bit, drill and tools.

-----

I would not mind getting an extra set of the upper hooks for the cargo net. There is a second set of holes in the panel and I'd like to be able to optionally hook the net there, giving it a little more flex when I want it.
  • Options
    groharlemgroharlem Member Posts: 59
    My sisters 92 LX has some front mud guards. would a 2nd or 3rd generation protege's mud guards fit a first generation?

My sis don't mind if i take her mud guards, so I'll get some soon :)
  • Options
    mdaffronmdaffron Member Posts: 4,421
    I hate it when I post a question and everyone ignores me, so I'll answer yours that got ignored!

I installed the factory wind deflector on the sunroof on my '92 Protege. (I can only assume that these things haven't changed much -- they don't look like they have.) It made a HUGE difference. Without it, wind would enter the rear of the sunroof when it was open and buffet my hair, and anyone in the back seat, around. With it, no more wind entering the car. It made the ride much more quiet at speed, and I never had any problems with its fit even at speeds exceeding 80 mph. The front edge of the windshield/roof line seems to protect it from the full force of the wind, and it's aerodynamic anyway. Very easy to install and it never caused any leaks.

One other very nice feature about it was, since it was a smoked transparent plastic, it shielded the sun from my face and head much of the time. The moon looked awesome through it!!!

A sunroof was the only option I elected not to get on my 2000 ES -- not because I don't like them, but because I'm big and they cut about 1-1/2 inches of head room. But if I did have one, I'd get another one of those wind deflectors in a heartbeat. A very good investment!

Meade
  • Options
    norcannorcan Member Posts: 72
    :) sniff :) I'm was going to repost my question, felt somewhat neglected. Thank you for the detailed info on deflector.

Is it installed with double-sided tape? Is there any risk of long-term damage to paint?

Norcan
  • Options
    don't have one so wasn't going to answer.. sorry.. at least I read your question!!! ;)
  • Options
    I have the sunroof, and I open it all the time on the highway at speeds around 70-80 mph. Since I have short hair and don't keep anything in the car to blow around, I don't mind the wind. And also, I ride alone most of the time too. But after all, isn't that what a sunroof's all about anyway, the wind in your hair? :)
  • Options
    sales@tirerack.com wrote:the 205/55/15 will be too tall and too wide it will rub

Question: Hi,
    >
    > currently my car has stock 15" al. alloys with Bridgestone potenza RE92
    > 195/55-VR15 tires.
    >
    > I was wondering whether it would cause any interference in the wheel-well of
    > my car if I upgraded to 205/55-R15 tires.
    >
    > Thanks in advance,
    > Nick
    >
    > Year: 1999
    > Model: Protege ES
  • Options
    then jump down to 205/50's... the tire will be wider, but with a lower profile so it shouldn't rub..

these are good sites to see differences in tire size and speeds..

http://www.miata.net/garage/tirecalc.html

http://pw1.netcom.com/~sgalaba/tiresize.htm#ustires

with the 205/50, the tire height is 4.04" compared to 4.22" stock. the width is 8.07" to 7.67".

slightly wider, but lower.. go out and measure if there is enough space for the tire...

• Options
    bpibpi Member Posts: 120
    How do you go out, measure and determine whether the tire will rub or not? Doesn't rubbing occur (if at all) when the suspension is fully compressed, considering the small differences in dimensions?
  • Options
    can occur on the inside of the tire when you turn the wheel to lock in either direction.

Chikoo, the best thing may be to find a shop or a freind that will swap wheels and/or tires to test fit.

• Options
    hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    Haha. That's funny (the title, not your post). How does this clearance vary with respect to the change in the amount of compression in the suspension? Getting smaller or larger as the suspension is compressed more and more?
  • Options
    you are correct, but the closer the tire is to the wheel well, the more chance you will know if it will rub.. My old cavalier I had some huge tires (205/60/15 up from 185/85/14) and those bad boys would rub if I did hard turns up front, or if I had a load of folks in the back, but other than that, it was ok..
  • Options
    "...the closer the tire is to the wheel well, the more chance you will know if it will rub."
    No kidding.
    Obviously, if it rubs when the car's standing still, you'll say forget it. I'm wondering how likely that it would when the new tire is 0.36" shorter (the whole tire) and 0.40" wider.

Going from 185/85-14 to 205/60-15? The new tire is a full 1.7" shorter and 6.4% smaller in circumference.
  • Options
    obviously you never rode in my last car did you? well if you had , you'd know it rubbed when I did a hard turn and if there was a load in the back..

so if my tire at 1.7" shorter rubbed, what do you think a tire .22" shorter would do? I never said the closer the tire is to the wheel well, the more chance you will know if it will rub was a scientific way to guage rubbing did I? no.

you just like to try and nitpick numbers like the Civic volume..
  • Options
    is not the way to go because you can never measure the extreme.

visually, there is a huge gap between the tire and the wheel well.

205/55VR15 24.1"dia / 7.8" width
    195/55VR15 23.5"dia / 7.7" width
    ===================================
    difference 0.3" radially / 0.05" width

doesn't look as if it would rub if you put those numbers into your visual inspection.

But, would they?

best way is by swapping and testing and/or check with inside man of mazda :)
  • Options
    best way then.. go get a Bridgestone tire in your size.. they have that 30 day warranty that for whatever reason you aren't satisfied in 30 day, you can get a refund of another tire.. Do that.. take a test for a few days, and if you like it, either keep em or turn em in and get the brand you really want..
  • Options
    jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I have 205/50R15's on my '99 ES. I have experienced absolutely no rubbing of any kind under full suspension compression or with the front wheels at the steering locks. Actually, I'm pretty sure my Pro could take an even larger tire size. 205/55R15's would probably be fine as long as you have the stock suspension.

I took a look at a few tire size calculators. The 205/55R15's are 1/2" larger in diameter, resulting in the tires being 1/4" closer to the wheel well. The 205mm width works fine in mine with plenty of clearance, so I say the 205/55R15's would be just fine!!! Go for it!!
  • Options
    Sure. You never said... Then I never said you did.... blah blah blah
    My question is how likely is it to detect rubbing by visual inspection while the car is standing still. Does the clearance, or lack of, increases or decreases as the car's suspension is compressed?
  • Options
    in my last car's case.. very.. you could tell it was going to rub because there was barely any space.. and a bigger tire in there upon visual might mean a greater chance of rubbing.
  • Options
    speedyptspeedypt Member Posts: 200
    Gro...I have a set of front mudgards for a 1st gen Pro. I paid $30 new at the dealer, they're yours for $20 and I'll pay shipping! Not in the box but they are OEM Mazda mudgards for the '92-94 Pro. Email me at peter_rollins@hotmail.com with your info and we can set it up. I bought them for the back (thinking I could make them fit) but never installed them and then I sold my '92 to buy my '00 ES. Only catch is that the guards are in my garage in Phoenix and I won't be back there until mid-May. I might be able to get them sent sooner, but I can't guarantee that. Let me know if you are interested. These are the ORIGINAL molded plastic guards from Mazda, not generics.

Regards and let me know,

Pete
  • Options
    groharlemgroharlem Member Posts: 59
    I'm interested.....i'll email u :) check your mail
This discussion has been closed.