Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Mazda Protege Accessories and Modifications

Comments

• Options
    conheadyconheady Member Posts: 77
    I tried their web site and couldn't find the asphalt/rubber sheets. Do you have a item number? thanks
  • Options
    chikoochikoo Member Posts: 3,008
    UMMM... SEARCH FOR INSULATION
  • Options
    mazdafunmazdafun Member Posts: 2,329
    I think more 55-aspect tires are becoming available. When I check at Tire Rack 6 months ago (I was considering upsizing my LX-spec wheels to ES-spec wheels), there were only 2 tires they stocked that were 195/55-15. Now you can find a dozen. Most are costly, but Yohohama T4s are about $55 each. Bridgestone RE910s cost only a few dollars more. I think even the cost of the RE92s came down (they were something like $85). Yeesh.

Anyway, I don't think I'll upsize since the potholes are kind of rough where I live and most of the paving contractors don't seem to know how to make a road smooth. I'll just have to wait until I upgrade to a P5 for the better handling, but the LX is still fun.

Chow
  • Options
    jstandeferjstandefer Member Posts: 805
    I haven't read back enough to see what kind of speakers you installed in the rear deck. What kind of speakers did you install?

I have been looking at a few sets of speakers to upgrade to. My primary choices are Infiniti Kappa series 3-way 6x9, Pioneer 3-way 6x9 (with horn tweeter, not dome tweeter), and Boston Acoustic 3-way 6x9. All of them have fairly high tweeter setups and require the use of the provided grill to give enough clearance. It seems that the factory integrated speaker grills in the rear deck won't provide enough height for these speakers. Did you run into that problem?

If I do go for any of these speakers, I will have to customize the rear deck, or have one customized for me. I can't just remove the factory speaker grills and replace them with the provided speaker grills because of the angular shape of the factory grills. Any ideas?
  • Options
    I put Pioneer A6999 6x9 3-way speakers in the back. They have the horn tweeter set-up. They sound nice (physically, they weigh a heck lot more than the factory-spec Pioneers, mostly in the permanent magnet). I chose these speakers because they were listed as having no clearance problem with my vehicle on the Crutchfield site. There were a few others listed as requiring no modification. At the time, they didn't have detailed installation instructions for Pros. Maybe I should sell them a set? :)

If you have interference between the tweeter and the bottom of the rear deck panel, you have two choices: mount the speakers under the rear deck or cut up your rear deck panel.
    Mounting under the deck is easier, but means you'll lose some trunk space and cut down on the height of anything you can stick through the pass-through from the trunk to the cabin. You'll also lose some volume from the speakers as they'll be located about 1 inch lower than being top-mounted. You'll also want to use some lock-tite to keep the speakers from falling out if the screws work themselves loose (you'll hear a lot of rattling before that happens though).

One thing I haven't checked out is how flat the rear deck is underneath. If there are protrusions, then I recommend against mounting them underneath. I don't suggest cutting any metal off the rear deck to make it flat for mounting speakers. I'll take a look after work and let you know. However, I don't have the ISOFIX child seat anchors in my 99, so I can't comment on how they affect this situation.

So far as modifying the rear deck, you can cut out the existing grilles and cover the holes with larger grilles. Maybe you will have a friend who installed really large speakers and isn't using the after-market grilles. You might also ask someone who installs audio systems. Aftermarket speakers usually come with grilles, but these usually aren't used when they fit into factory spots. You can also fashion your own if you have either access to the equipment or are willing to pay someone to make them for you. Make a frame and stretch some fabric over them. If you want to get fancy, you can use perforated metal or wire mesh in place of the fabric.

You can also mount speaker boxes on top of the rear deck panel. You can then pitch them slightly forwards for more sound, but they will cut down on your rearward visibility.

I'd probably go the lazy way and mount them underneath if it's clear.
  • Options
    goalie1goalie1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi folks--I have a 99 Protege LX & love it! There seems to be a small removable panel in the back of the center console, as you are sitting in the back seat. Does anyone know if you can remove this & install some kind of fold out cup holder? Thanks!
  • Options
    the_big_hthe_big_h Member Posts: 1,583
    did it myself, used nothing except my fingernails. Pulled it right off, and used the Bug & Tar remover to remove any remaining adhesives. Took me almost 2 hours but I was taking my time to make sure nothing goes wrong during the peeling.

The only minor issue that came up is that since the stripes have been on the car for a year already, the newly exposed paint is just a tad darker than the rest of the car, but you won't be able to see it unless you know where it is. Hopefully after a couple of years of exposure under the sun it will even out with the rest of the car and disappear for good (if that's possible). Even if it doesn't, it still looks better than the cheesy GOLD(not light tan as i said before) pinstripe that it had on before (car dealers aren't the most aesthetically inclined group of people i guess :P).

and the zoom zoom continues....
  • Options
    gitarzangitarzan Member Posts: 66
    I was wondering if that would happen. A friend had a new 73 Nova SS with this big white airfoil shaped decal. After about 8 years he peeled it off. The rest of the paint had faded but underneath the decal it was the original dark red. It actually looked better in dark red than white!
  • Options
    vocusvocus Member Posts: 7,777
    You have to look under P5 accessories at MazdaStuff.com for the tower brace. I know the P5's standard brace is red, so the MP3's might be the one that's yellow.
  • Options
    peregrine_11peregrine_11 Member Posts: 27
    I know this has been covered in this board before, and if someone wants to just refer me to post #'s to answer this question, that'd be fine.

I just got a 01 Pro-ES w/out mud flaps, but am interested in installing the mud flaps myself, because I understand it's not terribly difficult to do. Can anyone comment? Is it something you need special tools for? Does the car need to be elevated off the ground? Anything that would prevent an apartment dweller like me with limited tools and work space from installing the flaps myself?

I appreciate the help. Also, what are some recommendations for where to purchase the flaps? I've heard mazdastuff.com referenced--is that the general best option?
  • Options
    hkchanhkchan Member Posts: 420
    You need to scroll up no more than 20 posts. More if you want to read earlier discussions. With a little more than 300 posts, you should not have any trouble finding them.
  • Options
    Thanks... Those Pioneer 3-ways with the horn tweeters are probably what I'll go with if you didn't have any clearance problems. I'll go with the Infiniti Kappa 3-ways in the front. Did you install an amp? I'm thinking about a small 30-50 watt amp just to clear up the sound (I'm looking for quality, not ultimate loudness).
  • Options
    Hmm, no, I didn't install an amp...yet (saving up for a laptop computer). Let me know how it goes, and how you did it.

I was considering mounting one under the rear deck when I have the $$$. I figure it's easy to get to (other than running the wiring under the carpeting and trim) and will allow it to throw off heat easily.

I'd only get to use it when the wife isn't riding with me though. :( Says I act like a teenage boy when I blast the stereo. Guess the Pro brings it out in me. :)

Actually, I sometimes leave the stereo off when I'm driving some twisty road because I love the sound of the engine.
  • Options
    focswagongrlfocswagongrl Member Posts: 3
    Mine's on order, and I was just wondering if anyone out there has one that they've done anything to yet. I know there are hardly any on the lots, but I was just curious to see if anyone had plans for theirs yet.
  • Options
    maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Have you given any thought to a name change? I'm not trying to be rude by any means, but maybe Protege5grl may be more fitting for you.

Just a thought.

Also, you may want to check www.corksport.com for some Pro/Pro5 mods.

:)
  • Options
    pro5girliepro5girlie Member Posts: 20
    There. I changed my name. Happy now? ;) I signed in with this name, cause that's how I'm known on teamfocaljet. My boyfriend has the wagon, and I'm used to being called that. But I'm getting my own car now! So there!

I looked at corksport a while back, but I'll check them out again. Thanks, maltb.
  • Options
    too cool!

• Options
    aardvark_markaardvark_mark Member Posts: 95
    Once I get my p5 in, only thing i'll probably do is replace the audio system.. looks like all 4 speakers are in the doors.. 2 front, 2 back.. maybe 5x7's?.. dunno.. will take a closer look when mine comes in..

I don't know that much about audio.. if anyone has any ideas I'd apprecaite it :) will let you guys know how things turn out..
  • Options
    See message 263 on this board for instructions I posted on how to remove the front door panels of a 99 Protege sedan. From what I saw on the P5 front doors, the procedure should be identical.

I did not disassemble the rear door trim panels, but I imagine it's pretty similar too, just with a different number of screws and other fasteners.

The front speaker holes are made to fit 6x8s, but 5x7s can fit if they come with mounting holes to fit a 6x8 hole.

I consulted Crutchfield's site for what "drop-in" replacement speakers they have for the Protege. They may already have info on what fits into a P5's rear doors, but if they don't, they will shortly.

The stock Pioneer speakers are OK, but their permament magnets are kind of puny.They also lack a bit in reproducing high-end sounds.They are made of paper (single cone in front, single cone with whizzer cone in back), with rubber-coated fiber surrounds. The ones in my 99Pro were rated for 25W continuous power. I replaced the fronts with Pioneer TA-6865s (3-way), rears with Pioneer TA-6999s (3-way also). Much more punch in the high frequency range, and more boom in the lower range when I crank up the volume (I can feel the door vibrate much more than before...fun).
  • Options
    aardvark_markaardvark_mark Member Posts: 95
    thanks for the info.. great instructions in the earlier posts, I printed them up and am ready to fly!! :).. just need my p5. If I could fit 6x9's in both the front and back doors that would be great.

I have an old box with 10's from my current car I could throw behind the backseat but that would wipeout the main reason why I got the p5 over the mp3.. cargo room..

-AardMark
  • Options
    Wow...I am in awe.

Let me know how it goes with your P5 when you get it. I'll be quite envious. :)
    I'm also curious in case I do manage to convince my wife to get a P5.

Checked Crutchfield's site. No info on any 2002 Mazda products yet, although they list 5-1/4 speakers in the rear doors of the Protege sedan with "minor" modifications.

Chow
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Its "Ciao"
  • Options
    "Chow" is short for my first name. But I do play it off against "ciao" as a pun sometimes. :)
  • Options
    from McMaster-Carr

9709T18 - Acoustical Damping Sheet Hi-Temp Mastic, .070"Thk,.7 Lbs/SF, 32" X54", Black.

someone wanted this info. I forget who ;)
  • Options
    conheadyconheady Member Posts: 77
    ... and I already ordered it. Thanks.
  • Options
    misterzoommisterzoom Member Posts: 5
    I just got a 2001 ES and am lovin' it. Where can I find a place to buy accessories wihout paying the high dealer prices? I'm looking for the mazda front mask, cargo net and wheel locks. Anyone know of a site with good prices.?
  • Options
    sfratsfrat Member Posts: 208
    Has anyone put a k&n in their 2.0L Protege. www.knfilter.com has no part number for a 2.0L protege, so I looked up the 626, and it gives two part numbers for the I4. Anyone know which (if any) will fit in the pro? Thanks.

Steve
  • Options
    It's the same filter for all the Proteges going back to '95.

• Options
    Maltb comes through again. Do you have the part number for the strut-tower brace on the MP3 and Protege5? I want to put one on my ES.
  • Options
    MP3 BN7H-56-49X
    P5 B28V-56-49XE

I think it comes down to color preference.

• Options
    Yummy. Do you have an approximate price? Should dealers have them by now? Any specific caution when installing one? Have you driven a Protege5 to tell whether adding one to an ES is worth it?
  • Options
    how much would it cost to upgrade to bigger disc brakes on the front?
  • Options
    Should be about $175. Sorry to say I haven't driven a P5 yet...I'll try to soon though. Speedypt added one to his 2000(with a little headache), so he may have an opinion on it.

My question Henry is that are your driving habits such that it would matter much? With the mileage you are getting, your car must rarely see any twists.

• Options
    "With the mileage you are getting, your car must rarely see any twists."
    I guess I should've sticked with my Civic. NOT!
  • Options
    nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    pete had to cut a portion of the Cruise control bracket to get the strut bar to fit. I believe he also said the J-spec version of the bar didn't have the problem..
  • Options
    hifikhshifikhs Member Posts: 6
    Since HKS hasn't released their intake yet, I had to fabricate my own...cold air is the best...
    http://albums.photopoint.com/j/View?u=1630230&a=12462090&p=50575354&Sequence=0&res=high[/
  • Options
    Doesn't the 2001 already have a cold air intake? I know my '99 ES has one. BTW, Corksport sells a "super mega flow" intake. Do you notice any difference in power??
  • Options
    No even the 2001 ES with the 2.0l, which is what I have, has the stock airbox with silencer assembly. The supermega flow intake is for the 1.8l engine so I could not use it. The power gain is great, torque was the best out of the two. I can spin up to third gear with ease now.
  • Options
    or noise level of the engine?

after the intake was changed.
  • Options
    Gas mileage had decreased until the computer got used to the new intake. Now it's getting better. But I'm still running rich and not burning all the fuel I put in. New plugs and wires and maybe a new ignition/coil pack are next.
    Engine noise, heh, varies. During idle, there is this sucking noise like there is a bad vacuum leak, from 1000-3000 RPM, the noise is minimal, up to around 4500 it says "Hey I've done something to this engine". After 4500 it screams "Watch Out" and sounds so powerful. If you've ever heard a good intake before you know what I'm talking about....it's a powerful sound in it's own class.
  • Options
    What state do you live in hifikhs? As much as I would love to do something like this, I think it is illegal here in California. :-(

I wonder about that super mega-flow intake... since I have the 1.8L, how would that affect performance and would it be legal? Maybe I should e-mail corksport...
  • Options
    I live in VA
    It shouldn't be illegal, all cars make noise during throttle up. And unlike and exhaust the noise only occurs when your foot is down, once you let up, it completely disappears. I don't think it would affect emission laws...The Super Mega Flow intake is a great setup, well worth it. Just be sure to get it away from engine heat. You'll see a big difference.
  • Options
    Before they even perform the smog checks, they do a visual inspection to look for modifications. There are several sensors in the original intake setup. What did you do with those?

Since the Super Mega Flow intake draws air from well within the engine compartment (and only a few inches away from that hot exhaust manifold!! It looks that way from Corksport's pics), I'm afraid I won't gain any power. Sure, it can draw in a larger volume of air, but it seems hot air! The stock intake draws in cold air from just above the grill. And, I'm afraid any type of ducting from the intake to a cold air source would severely hamper the amount of air the intake can take in... virtually reducing it to pre-modification intake...
  • Options
    The temp sensor and the maf are still in the setup, just much lower, near the filter.
    Just add a length of PVC and coat it to get it farther from the exhaust manifold. But if you go as low as mine for cold air, you'll want to invest in a bypass filter so you won't ingest any water.
  • Options
    Just noticed yesterday, that on the driver's side of my car (the side that was repainted a couple weeks ago) the ES decal is gone. Apparently in addition to repaint the driver door, they also repainted the front fender, and possibly the rear door as well. Don't know why but hey, the paint job looks flawless, so i have no problem with that.

now my dilemma, since one side of my ES decal is gone, there are 3 things I can do:

1. get a new ES decal and put it on
    2. remove the decal on the other side
    3. leave as is and be the only Protege around here with ONE ES decal on one side of the car

now, I could care less about the decal, I don't think it looks cool nor hideous. So what should I do? any suggestions/comments?
  • Options
    newcar31newcar31 Member Posts: 3,711
    Take it off.
  • Options
    LOL, man you're fast responding, so that's 1 vote for proposition #2, any other votes?
  • Options
    nikecarnikecar Member Posts: 460
    #1.. get another..
  • Options
    Seems folks like to boom boom while they vroom vroom in their zoom zoom.

Sorry, I had to get that out of my system. :)
  • Options
    Just for the sake of balance, I'll go with option #3.

This discussion has been closed.