Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado 2500 & 3500 - II

Comments

• Options
    bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    Back in 76 had a new Dodge Power Wagon with full-time 4wd, didn't have to get out like the rest of the guys (sorry that I'm off topic).

Getting back to the topic, I test drove a 2500HD last saturday, the saleman had enough gall to tell me that it had more room inside then my SD, I said no way, he said lets measure, out came the tape measure, End Results: Inside door to door - Chevy: 64" Ford: 66" , From dash to back seat- Chevy: 59" Ford: 64" . Yup that chevy salesman didn't have much to say after that, sorta shook his head walked back inside. Probably thinking that chevy knew the inside diminsions of the SD before they developed the HD, why did they do this to me......... That couple of inches up front is not much, but the leg room in the back of the SD Crew is way better then the leg room in the HD.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    ARENT SALESMEN the best?

haha
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    ...got me there for full time 4WD...but MOST people had to get out....

- Tim
  • Options
    chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    Well I agree with most of your improvement list, except pushbutton 4x4 hate that junk.
    The thing is, I don't know what you drove before you got the Silverado, but it you drive a 73-87 Chevy truck, the new ones don't compare on dash design, I don't think you can get the new ones without a headliner, the news ones have rack and pinion don't they? The 73-87 shifters just looked cooler. Little things that you have gotten so used to that when you see the new truck you say that isn't any better.

One thing I hate about new trucks is the options, you can't order no headliner, you can't order it with out all the pillar plastic, you can't get a bare bones truck anymore.
  • Options
    RACK AND PINIUON IS ON 2WD TRUCKS

before my silverado i drove a 2wd S-10

Whats wrong with push button 4 wheel drive? Please do not say unreliable because that is not true.

what i wanted to get across was that older trucks (75) are different from newer trucks. The look (cab-bed) may be the same but underneath they are different.
  • Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    Is that it is only available with an automatic transmission. And while automatics are reliable, when they fail you have to hike out of wherever you are. With a manual transmission you can almost always limp home.

If you never venture off the paved road, it probably doesn't matter.

Mike L
  • Options
    chevytruck_fanchevytruck_fan Member Posts: 432
    oh ryan, you are the man, I have been trying to figure out if the 4wd did have rack and pinion and was crying because I probably wouldn't buy one if it had rack and pinion.

I really just like the old stick, no electronics, just a direct link. personal preference
    I think you can still get the trucks with a lever shift 4wd can't you?
  • Options
    Yah, you can still get the old, shift on the floor 4wd. You can even get a 5spd shift on the floor for the transmission if you want. You probably have to special order it however.

Mike L
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Anybody running em on 2500HD's?
  • Options
    tengatenga Member Posts: 20
    I bought a D-50 (Dodge) back in 87,with 4wd that had hubs that didn't need to be turned to engage, just reach down on the floor and put in 4wd, high or low range. I realy liked it but I believe my MPG suffer. The only reason I bring this up is, because automatic is being talked about. The other reason, I'm in the market for a new vehicle. thanks for your time.
  • Options
    eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    There is a slight amount of friction in the auto-engage hubs, but that is relatively miniscule if everything is in good condition (bearings,races, greased). Anyways, I am not sure, but I don't think any of the American trucks offer manual hubs, not sure about Toyota, I know Nissan doesn't. For the most part, when people are discussing auto 4wd, they are talking about the fulltime awd (not 4wd, but either end driving) option vs. the partime 4wd (needs to be switched in - either lever or electronically).

And yes, the auto 4wd does use more gas, case in point GMC C3, but can be safer if the roads go suddenly slick. The auto versions can also be locked into 4wd as well... Same as a normal part-time 4wd
  • Options
    whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    I'm not too hip on all this auto stuff either. This is my first truck with an auto tranny. Just couldn't bring myself to pay extra for push-button 4wd. Actually, Ford has a pretty slick hub system. You can still get manual lock-outs with either auto or manual tranny. Also, with their auto hubs, you can still lock them in manually if you want. Instead of "free" and "lock", you have "auto" and "lock". Was kind of disappointed that Chevy didn't have a similar feature.

A message for 4x4: So you are running 285/75/16 on 16x8 rims with no mods and no rubbing? Are you running all-terrains or mud tires? I was actually looking at the Cooper STT's. I have heard they are pretty loud, but are awesome in the mud.
  • Options
    Took a look at the pics of your truck with the 285's (nice color truck). Like what I see. Do you know what the backspacing is on the American Eagle wheels you're running? Is it 5 inches? Clearing the brake calipers isn't a problem, but the brake line that sticks out beyond the edge of the calipers is a different question. My wife's already bitchin' about climbing up into the truck, so I figure any lift is out of the question. 285's for me!
  • Options
    hankincincyhankincincy Member Posts: 2
    Selling a 2000 (old body style) LS Crew cab shortbed 454 2 wheel drive single wheel. Auto, leather, power seats, brakes, door locks, windows, AC, Cassette, CD, tow package, Snuglid tonnue cover. Less than 7000 miles. $23,500, offers, trades. Located in Cincinnati, OH 513-625-4265.
  • Options
    dah1dah1 Member Posts: 8
    The new HD GM diesel trucks are the best thing to come down the pipeline in a long time but the pile of money dealerships want is way out of line for the 6.6 diesel.

The only reason to purchase a diesel is fuel savings & power but by the time you pay the 5,000.00 to 6,000.00 markup over MSRP it doesn't pay to go with a diesel. The dealer pockets your savings.

I'm spending the money. The savings should be mine!

Guess I'll wait a couple years.
  • Options
    4x44x4 Member Posts: 114
    yeah i have the BFG AT 285's with the 16x8 american eagles....no rubbing, just had to crank the torison bars up about 5 turns....the backspaceing is 4.5 which is the minimum for no rubbing.....

let me know if you have any more ?'s @ clf2427@yahoo.com
  • Options
    sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    Did you lose any mpg when you went to the bigger tires? I got the cheap wheels on mine thinking I would trade up to get away from the Firestones. With only 4000 miles the Steeltex seem to be holding up OK. I keep hearing that going to taller tires will reduce mileage. I don't know if I can affoerd any lower gas mileage.
  • Options
    cspauldingcspaulding Member Posts: 159
    I see you're selling your 2000 crew cab with a 454...what's the reason??? I only ask because I have one with the 454 and have had nothing but problems...please respond.

Chris
  • Options
    Changed oil for the first time last night in the 6.0. It is obvious that the GM engineers don't change their own oil. The drain plug shoots oil all over the left exhaust crossover pipe and then drips down inside the skid plate. The oil filter is crammed up in a cut out of the oil pan and has to be tilted to get it out past the skid plate so you pour all the oil out of the top of the filter onto the top side of the skid plate. Took six rags to clean everything up. I don't think it would have been that difficult to reroute the crossover pipe or to change the size and placement slightly for the skid plate. We're only talking about a couple of inches at the most.
  • Options
    jaijayjaijay Member Posts: 162
    Whatsachevy, a while back my wife and I bought a new Sienna van (I must of been crazy at the time) so that she could transport the kids and stuff to school. Changing the oil on that beast was more than a bear. First of all the oil filter is cramed into this tiny little compartment that only those folks with a size 4 glove can get at. To top it off, the filter must of been secured by someone who is one pound shy of being a Sumo wrestler for it was way too tight to remove. For a moment I thought that the filter was going to be a life long fixture of the engine. After a 30 minute wrestle with the thing, several choice words and a cut up arm, I managed to get it off. In lieu of the over tight oil filter which is mounted horizontally mind you, it puked oil all over the side of the engine and my garage floor. Fortunatly I managed to talk my wife out of keeping the van and trading it in for a 99 Silverado. It seems that when she got the van she started on this garden thing and the van was not capable of hauling stick, trees and brush. The truck was the right solution. Also we wanted to get a popup camper and the Sienna could only tow a measly 2000 lbs. So we bought the Chevy. We owned the truck for 2 years and now moved to a 2500HD D/A to pull a fifth wheel.
  • Options
    jlflemmonsjlflemmons Member Posts: 2,242
    I have a 2000 2500 with the 6.0L and have no problems changing the oil. Use an end cap filter wrench and a bigger drain pan and all will come together. The exhaust system on the 6.0L has been described as one of the best free flowing designs ever used. When researching the possibility of a cats back system for improved towing, I was told repeatedly that it would be a waste of money. Trailer Life tested the 2500 and came to the same conclusion.

Keep changing the oil, boys, it only gets better....

Jim
  • Options
    hdriderhdrider Member Posts: 49
    Short of wading through almost 800 posts in this topic alone...

Those that own them, what do you think of your 8.1L or 6.0L? Would you buy it again if you had the choice? What is your average MPG empty/towing(wt) (not that this is a BIG factor for me)?

I am interested in a 3/4 ton, 4x4, LB, EC or CC. Haven't really looked at other makes, but from what I've seen, GM has the best overall build quality. Been driving a GM 6.5L TD for 8 years now.

Thanks in advance!
    Dave
  • Options
    sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    After waiting forever for my 8.1. allie,4x4,
    X-cab, LS, Black........Mr.Chevy dealer calls,
    and sez..We don't know how much longer....BUT
    we took a dealer swap 25oo X-cab LD 4x4 6.0
    3.73 rear Black ........Only $32,400
    Even better $1000 rebate and 2.9% for GMS buyer
    plus my GM discount
    plus GM MC bonus cash
    and my $250 GM gas tank settlement cert.
    AND THEY OFFERED ME $1000 more for my trade !!!
    and no advertising fee because of GM employee..
    $2.00 a gallon for gas i guess i can live
    with the 6.0 and 3.73 gears instead of 8.1 and 4.10 Allie Maybe next time...OH BOY OH BOY
    NEW TRUCK TOMORROW !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! gEO
  • Options
    I've got a 2500 4x4 std cab longbed with a 6.0L and 3.73. I have a small camper loaded all the time. Truck weighs 7400lbs.

I've averaged 14.0 mpg over 12000 miles.

The engine has plenty of power for me. It pulls mountain grades without lose of speed.

Mike L
  • Options
    sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    I've got the 2500HD Crew Cab, 4X4, SB, 6.0, automatic with the 4.10 rear end. I have just over 4000 miles and have been averaging between 12 and 13 mpg mixed driving. My last tank improved to 13.6. Truck has plenty of power and giddy up. I probably would have taken a 3.73 rear end if available because I don't do any towing. Rides like a truck. Steering is nice and tight and the brakes are better than any vehicle I have ever owned. Hope this helps
  • Options
    Every little bit helps! Thanks! I am looking at the 5 spd (or 6 spd in the 8.1) as I've never even owned an auto, but unfortunately, autos are the only thing on the lot around here (small town). I may test drive them anyway, just to get a feel.

sonjaab, you made out like a bandit!
  • Options
    for quite some time I always got 12.2-12.6 when I checked my 2K 2500 6.0/4:10 Ex.cab SB......time went by...and 33,000 miles...I decided to check it again.....about 14.2...must be a fluke right?...I still drive 75 hwy and 50 city.....mixed....so what gives?.....last sever tanks have been right around 14 with 87 octane.....

must be the miles adding up?

wonder what an 8.1 will do after 30K?

- Tim
  • Options
    bob68iabob68ia Member Posts: 6
    The dealer that my comany orders its trucks from sent me a letter.. My truck has been built. They estimate 20 days before it gets to me.

I have the Vin number. Is there a website where I can enter the vin number and make sure I got the truck I asked for? How about tracking it?

2500HD Ext Cab Long Box 6.0 auto.

Thanks for your help
    Bob
  • Options
    blair223blair223 Member Posts: 20
    Am VERY happy with my 2000 2500 6.0L EC SB 4.10. Got 13.0 MPH at first (unloaded highway) and now get 14.0 avearge after 14,000 miles. Have not towed anything heavy yet but performance has been very satisfiactory. A few quality issues as you will gather from reading the posts but overall a great truck. I would definitely get this truck again though I might consider the 8.1 next time because I don't think the milage is much worse and it would make a wonderfully decadent commuting vehicle.
  • Options
    Tim, Blair, Thanks!

I do think that as the engine breaks in, the mileage gets a bit better. I've noticed in the posts that some have significant improvements and others only a mpg or so. More MPG is always better though!

I am leaning toward the 8.1L as well with a manual tranny. That should improve mpg a wee bit. The power would be fun and there are times when I do still need it. Still not sure about the EC or CC... Gotta go check those out. LBs are preferable, too, but I think a CC with LB would be a monster!

Did ya'll test drive the Fords or Dodges prior to a GM purchase?
  • Options
    I didn't test drive the Ford or Dodges as I get a GM supplier discount and I don't like the looks of the new Fords. From what I have read the GM/Chevy ride quality is superior to both but you should determine that yourself. I chose the EC over the CC because I hardly ever have rear seat pasengers and I hated having to dance around the rear door on my previous 4-door blazer every time I needed to put or grab something from the back as I was getting in or out. With the front seats moved up a little there is sufficient room for large adults in the back. Had 3 full-size guys in the back once for a 40 min trip and they were drooling over the truck the whole way (and they owned Fords!)

Blair
  • Options
    ...Fords are ugly and Dodge...well...some day they will learn what truck building is all about...

I can get all 3 discounts...but favor GM

I too take very few people with me...and GM's EC is very comfy...although I find myself needing more and more interior space to haul stuff....and I hate caps and lids....so CC it is for next one
    - Tim
  • Options
    I test drove an F-250 with the 5.4/4.10 and with the V-10/3.73. The 5.4 was an absolute dog compared to the Chevy 2500HD with the 6.0/4.10. In fact, I couldn't tell any difference in power between the Chevy 6.0/4.10 and the Ford V-10/3.73. And I would bet money that the Chevy will beat the Ford in gas mileage. Also, the overall ride, interior comfort, handling and braking on the Chevy seemed much better than the Ford. I have always been a Ford man. But, after driving both vehicles (I wouldn't even waste my time with the Dodge), I decided on the Chevy over the Ford. Just turned over 1000 miles on my '01 Chevy 2500HD 4x4 EC SB 6.0/4.10 and all I have to say is AWESOME!
  • Options
    Ya'll kinda echoed what I was thinking. My Dad has a 67 Dodge 3/4 ton, and it just seems Dodge doesn't make 'em like that anymore... Shame... I actually like the looks of the 3/4 ton Fords, but definitely prefer the 2500HD! Beautiful looking truck! I appreciate the performance comparison, too, Martin! Blair, I agree with you about the doors. It seems a trivial item, but that is a pain when you are doing a lot of loading or unloading, or just reaching for an item. How do your EC doors seal? I've heard complaints about them not closing well in the cold?

Did any of you test drive the 8.1L? What did you think? The mileage looks like it wouldn't be too bad considering the power gains.

Tim, Blair, can either of you spare a GM discount?? ;)

Thanks again! I think I am going to head to the dealer before heading into work and look at the truck's interiors and such. No time to test drive. Besides, all autos...
  • Options
    The door seal fine but I did have the cold weather problem. When the temp got real cold the doors would not latch properly. There is a TSB about it and I had that done a couple weeks ago but will have to wait until next winter to see if it did the trick.
  • Options
    Thanks Blair! What exactly did the TSB do? I spend a lot of time in the cold of Colorado during the winter. Not too keen on not having my doors close... Assuming the TSB doesn't work. I also don't have time to wait and find out if it does. I must say, even considering the hassle of four doors, the crew cab was NICE!! Lots of room!! Fold those seats down and I could almost park my hog in there!

Well, went to the dealer and test drove the 2500HD 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 SWB Auto. Nice driving truck!! Like those brakes too! Everything I heard was true! Unfortunately no manual transmissions in the area... I am going to have to go 65 miles to test drive a 8.1L and it's an auto.

For those interested in the 2002 8.1L with the 6 spd manual: AT THIS TIME, the 2002 models will ONLY come with the Allison. No manuals will be made. I was disappointed. I can order a 2002 6.0 with a 5 spd manual, but not the 8.1L... The dealer did find a 8.1L, 6 spd, 4x4, crew cab, swb about 300 miles from here, but it is Indigo Blue and I had my heart set on Pewter... May have to take the engine and tranny over the color (which is worth it to get that combo)!
  • Options
    oooohhhh...Ryan ain't gonna like to hear that one!

- Tim
  • Options
    :) 'Fraid I've never been keen on dark vehicles. I have always lived in the southern part of the country (AZ, NM, LA, AL) and dark vehicles get HOT inside! I am also the world's worst at taking care of a paint job... Even my hog's paint looks bad! Besides, trucks are for working! My current truck is metallic sand and is hard to tell it's dirty unless you rub up against it! (Not a smart move if you're dressed in your Sunday best!) The trucks on the local lot were filthy due to recent rain and winds! It was hard to tell the pewter trucks were dirty, but you could sure tell on the indigo blue trucks! I will have to say, my favorite color is dark blue, but not for a vehicle. We'll see what happens! Need to try to test drive a 8.1L tomorrow and see if I want the engine over a custom ordered 6.0L... Will let ya'll know!
    Dave
  • Options
    Indigo blue is the only way to go very nice color (WHEN CLEAN)

Next truck I would get I would probably get a silver one only because of the scratches.
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    no one will know what color it is.....since trucks are for working. Course some of us workem and some of us wash them when they see a cloud comin....hehe
  • Options
    'Course, mine has been a work truck from day one! Scratches and all!

I will agree indigo blue looks sharp, but as you said, the scratches really show...
  • Options
    yep i have a few. This weekend i seen a 2500 Carmine/pewter 4x4 LB. This was a work truck. All the paint in the bed was GONE tailgate was scratched to all heck a fender flare in the front was missing. Work truck all the way. Looked real good however.
  • Options
    ..carmine is the color to have boss!

- Tim
  • Options
    They replaced the latches. I could get the doors to shut when very cold with the old latches but had to slam it pretty good.
  • Options
    yea if your old tim.

Guy had to be about 60 (honestly) that was driving it.
  • Options
    Hello All
    After waiting months for a black 2500 x-cab
    4x4 Chevy 8.1 allie. Mr dealer calls and sez
    we don't know where it is no vin# yet.
    But we just got a dealer swap 2500 LD X-cab
    6.0, 3.73 rear Black. He also sez there is a
    $1000 rebate AND 2.9% interest for GMS buyer !!
    It didn't take me 45 minutes to get there.
    They offered me $1000 more for my trade.
    I picked it up friday have about 300 miles on
    it. I really wanted a 8.1 but with gas about
    2.00 a gallon around here (syracuse NY) I
    guess i can live with the 6.0 3.73 rear.
    Oops gotta go wipe off the morning dew off
    that shiny black paint !!!!!!!! Geo.
  • Options
    roger350roger350 Member Posts: 157
    Are you a GM employee, or did you get the GMS through a supplier deal? Just wondering, as that 2.9% for GMS buyers sure sounds good! I Might run the numbers and see if pulling a Tim, sell for more than you owe...decrease payments...etc., would work out nicely with that low financing rate. Except I just get the supplier GMS deal, so the interest rate might not apply to me? Was it just on the 1500 and 2500LD, or could you have gotten it on the HD also? Thanks.
  • Options
    As far as I know the $1000 rebate Or 2.9%
    interest is for anybody. To get both you must
    be a GM employee or family member. The GMS
    supplier deals aren't as good BUT something
    is better that nothing...
    The deal i got was on the 2500 LD only.Better
    hurry because the rebate goes to $500 on 6/1/01
    according to the salesman.No rebate on H D now.
    GMS took off almost $5000 off sticker, plus
    rebate and 2.9% and no advertising fee either
    They gave me $1000 more on my 97 trade than
    the other dealer i spoke with. My payments are
    $50 cheaper and only for 3 years compared to
    my 97......Good Luck..........Geo
  • Options
    I forgot if you have your sponsors SS# you
    can type up WWW.GMFAMILY SAVINGS.com
    its got all the info..rebates ,interest specials
    prices, rules etc.....Geo
  • Options
    Sorry i am GM Employee family. As mom worked
    many years for the General.........
    She now is happily retired about 10 years when
    they closed the plant in Syracuse NY. She got
    her GOLDEN PARACHUTE like the rest of the old
    timers and gets that BIG FAT GM PENSION and
    she is in good health and happy as a clam...
This discussion has been closed.