Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

GMC Sierra/Chevy Silverado 2500 & 3500 - II

Comments

• Options
    mledtjemledtje Member Posts: 1,123
    How much do you want to pay for wheels? A local dealer usually has some takeoff wheels/tires for around $400/set. Shipping won't be cheap, but it can be done UPS. The dealer doesn't want to hassle with shipping, but I could help you out if you are interested.

Mike L
  • Options
    sonjaabsonjaab Member Posts: 1,057
    Where is everyone ?
    01 chevy x-cab 4x4 running great. About 15 mpg
    No squeeks or rattles or shakes about 1200miles
    on it now ...Made 1st payment too..No more
    wheels have fallen off either. That 75v guy got
    the info on the roof light wiring too. Now its
    time to go snow plow shopping. Gotta get this
    puppy ready to work..Cuz she ain't no driveway
    queen . Sure haven't driven my caddy much. But
    the newness will wear off too soon........Geo
  • Options
    Hello all
    After looking at them ugly black plastic
    flares for weeks. I say WTF and whip out the
    hair dryer take out the plastic plugs and
    took them ugly things off. Looks great.
    A little liquid wax took off any adhesive
    that was left.
    Anybody know if they make chrome wheel opening
    mouldings for the new body style ?????
    Thanks...........Geo
  • Options
    trw3trw3 Member Posts: 35
    Hi guys, haven't been on here for a few months. My SLT 01 GMC 2500HD cc w/6.0 and 4.10 has been a pretty good truck thus far. I've had it since Oct. 00 and have still just 4000 miles on it. It's pretty happy just sitting in the garage till I get ready to drive it on the weekends. Anyway my mileage is still fairly poor even with a tonneau cover @ 60-65mph it does good to get 12 mpg here in the flats of east central ILL. I'm still hoping to get a 14 mpg avg. I really don't think anyone should expect anything more that that out of these trucks. Just a quick question...... has anyone tried a 255/85/16 on the stock alloys yet? It's my full intent to try these next, just looking for some positive renforcement. Thanks.
  • Options
    mgdvhmanmgdvhman Member Posts: 4,157
    started out at 12.5.....now after 36K miles...it's up to 14-14.5 MPG.

- Tim
  • Options
    sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    at 6500 miles I'm averaging in the 12's. I just added a Pace Edwards roll top cover so we'll see if it helps the mileage.
  • Options
    or cover for those figures.

I really don't think a cover adds any MPG

Good luck

- Tim
  • Options
    whatsachevywhatsachevy Member Posts: 136
    '01 Chevy 2500HD EC 4X4 6.0/4.10 Auto - 3200 miles and troublefree. Averaging 13.4 mpg since day one. I have gotten as high as 14.9 on the highway (cruise set around 80 mph). So far I am very happy with this truck. Have read some problems about 6.0 knocking after 3500 - 4000 miles, so we'll have to wait and see. I have a very heavy foot and this truck is too tempting not to put your foot into it. All I have added is a Line-X bedliner. So far, I would recommend the Line-X to anyone (although it is pricey - I think it is worth it). Plan on adding 285/75x16 mudders on 16x8 rims (just as soon as I can convince the wife that you're not supposed to wear out the stock tires and wheels before you get new ones). I would also like to add dual exhausts with a little growl to them. Anyone ever figure out how many grease zerks there are the 2500HD? So far, I've counted 10 on the front suspension and wheels. Had to change some of them out for 90 degree zerks to get to them. Everyone have a happy 4th!
  • Options
    kyarcherkyarcher Member Posts: 12
    I've heard rumor that GM will finally offer 3:42 gears for the 6.0/8.1 in the 2500HD. Think this is true? I'd like to see it as I use my truck now mostly just to drive and I never tow anything.

'98 1500 Z71 5.7 w/3:73 And gets only 13.5 mpg
  • Options
    it wouldn't have the power to be an HD?

- Tim
  • Options
    i HAD A 97 Chev x-cab 4x4 350 373s and i got
    19 hiway.
    My 01 Chev x-cab 4x4 373s gets 15.
    Maybe i don't have a heavy foot..........Geo
  • Options
    kyarcherkyarcher Member Posts: 12
    Well I meant to say 3:73 gears.....not 3:42
  • Options
    .I heard some place on this board that the 8.1 ONLY comes with 3:73's now in the ordering system.

It always was either 3:73 or 4:10's...

6.0 is only 4:10

Duramax is only 3:73

- Tim
  • Options
    HD only 410s
    LD 410 or 373
    6.0 only
  • Options
    mark4444mark4444 Member Posts: 7
    I am considering the purchase of a 2001 2500HD 2WD, 6 liter, 4 sp automatic for occasional car trailer towing. Will the 6 liter motor handle towing a trailer such as this? What can I expect for fuel mileage? Any other comments?

Thanks
  • Options
    stockcrfan1stockcrfan1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi ...Am thinking about buying 2500 HD deisel. Does any one have any info on problems....or gas milage....I am buying one for towing 5th wheel. Thanks
  • Options
    You should only tow about 2/3 of your trailor towing capacity You should be way fine especially with the HD 2500
  • Options
    mark4444mark4444 Member Posts: 7
    I tested a 2500HD 4x2 6.0/4 sp auto with 13 miles on it tonight. The engine had no start-up noise like the piston slap that I had read plagued the 6.0 and the truck felt great, very nice - I was impressed. The dealer offered a $1300 discount off of list - what is anybody else out there experiencing in terms of pricing and what are other dealers offering for discounts?

Thanks
  • Options
    Mark I took one for a test drive too and was really impressed I live in Vegas and they want 31 thousand for a single cab, deisel with the SL package. I am going to get one hopefully once all the paperwork is done. Anyone have info on milage????
  • Options
    sf0383sf0383 Member Posts: 204
    I ordered a 2001 2500HD CC 4x4 LS with 6.0 litre automatic and paid $200 over invoice. Drive out was $32,305
  • Options
    trucks4me2trucks4me2 Member Posts: 31
    Mileage on my 2001 2500HD, 6.0, EC, 4X4, 4.10 is about 12.5 city and 14.5-15.5 hiway. The piston slap (or whatever it is) doesn't usually start till around 5,000 miles which is when mine started. A can of STP makes it go away.

Stan
  • Options
    obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    I thought that thing was long gone. Wouldn't adding peanut butter to the motor accomplish the same thing?
  • Options
    Has the newness of your trucks worn out.
    Haven't seen anybody post here in a while.
    No problems with my 01 ld 2500. Except for
    the wheel falling off.............
    Been getting about 16 mpg hiway. Interior
    is tight and rattle free. No problem with the
    deathstone tires either. Seats are nice and I
    love the 4 doors. No shakes at any speeds.
    Cruises wonderful on the hiway. nice and quiet.
    It hops some on expansion joints
    . But it is a truck anyway 3/4 ton.
    Can't wait for winter to
    put on new snow plow to WORK this puppy.
    She ain't no driveway queen............Geo
  • Options
    buckscrewserbuckscrewser Member Posts: 3
    I know this is trivial but after two weeks of driving my 2500HD CC LS, I noticed there were no clothes hooks above the rear doors. My '99 CC had them. Is my truck the only one like this or are your trucks missing them as well? I know it's supposed to be a work truck but sometimes you have to have a place to hang clothes! Let me know before I go to the dealer and make a fool of myself!!! Thanks all.
  • Options
    You should have a hook in each above rear door
    grab handle.(on roof)
    Also there should be 2 of them above the rear window.
    Thats where they are in my 01 xcab .........Geo
  • Options
    bowhuntwibowhuntwi Member Posts: 262
    My SD has them......and they came standard, must be optional in your hd, even got a drop down rack that drops from the roof of my cap, if needed.
  • Options
    ryanbabryanbab Member Posts: 7,240
    i got em in my 2000 half ton ext cab
  • Options
    dhegartydhegarty Member Posts: 10
    Does anyone have a problem with their truck shaking and riding really, really rough. It makes me feel sick after a few hours every day. Dealer says a 3/4 ton truck should ride like that.
  • Options
    eric2001eric2001 Member Posts: 482
    Yup, no hanger hooks in the crew cabs... I noticed this last weekend, went to hang a tux in there, but no hooks. Let me know if dealer does something for you.

-Eric
  • Options
    luckystrikeluckystrike Member Posts: 6
    I just ordered a 2500 extended cab and was wondering if anyone knows the site to track your order....Thanks
  • Options
    there is no site only your dealer or an 1-800 number
  • Options
    Did you get a SON (sales order number) and TPW from the dealer? Call Chevy/GMC cust service (whichever you ordered) and when it is built, they will give you the VIN. The last 8 digits of the VIN are used to track the vehicle by rail. There are 4 different rail sites I tried until I found the right shipper. Reply with the status only & I'll try to find the different rail websites.

-Eric
  • Options
    Check the "bouncing betsy" thread here in
    the pickup threads...Interesting reading
    ..........Geo
  • Options
    luckystrikeluckystrike Member Posts: 6
    Thanks everyone the 800 # worked. Man told me it is projected for the week of 8-27 and is being built in Flint. I have to call back again two weeks after that to get the VIN.
  • Options
    kdubkdub Member Posts: 4
    The first day my dealer called with my VIN I was able to find it on www.cn.ca with current location in Michigan and an end destination of Kent, WA. Now I can't find it on that site or www.bnsf.com where VIN queries are supported... any ideas on how to find out where its at? which railroad and what equipment number to search buy for those sites that don't support VIN queries?
  • Options
    etimbersetimbers Member Posts: 17
    I just took a Chevy dealer service tech for a ride in my "Rock & Rollin'" HD, he hasn't experienced this exact problem with the HDs but he's had this happen in other vehicle... he thinks it's the slip yoke! THe one on my HD is sealed, he thinks it was shipped ungreased from the factory and isn't allowing the drive shaft to travel back and forth with the road and it binding cause the little surges when the rear end binds up. That may also be causing the "popping" noise from the springs.

He said if it IS a dry slip yoke, it will become obvious at some point when the vibration rips out the carrier bearing and your drive shaft, universal joints, bearings and maybe even your rear axle is scattered in the street.

Too bad this guy can only work on Chevy's, I told him that if my dealer couldn't fix my GMC, I'd lemon law it and come buy a Chevy from him!

I have an appointment with the owner of the dealership where I've been trying to get this thing fixed. Maybe this will encourage them to do something, post your e-mail... heck email me your phone # and I'll call you if this fixes my problem!

Anyone esle have an idea about this proposed solution???

etimbers a.k.a. ernest t
  • Options
    dhegartydhegarty Member Posts: 10
    etimbers can you describe your problems! My 2500HD cc lb shakes and bounces at 10-20-30----------80mph. My kechain(2 keys and the remote fob) is constantly rattling and clanking against the gear shifter and my brain,,,,,,,,,well thats another story but im ready to fight the dealer so lets get all the information we can.
  • Options
    gmcgt1gmcgt1 Member Posts: 3
    I think you can do much better than the $1300 below sticker. We bought 3 in April.
    Sticker Purchase Price
    $40,228 $35,093 SLT K3500
    $37,874 $32,956 LS K3500
    $39,628 $34,835 SLT K2500HD

Good luck
  • Options
    markbuckmarkbuck Member Posts: 1,021
    Mine is very smooth.

I have experienced some ping lugging the engine recently running 87 octane. Going back to high octane.

Very happy with my 2500HD at 7,000 miles. Towing again this week up to CO over 11,000 ft passes.

I'd buy the same truck again in a minute!
  • Options
    jrkracejrkrace Member Posts: 32
    Hi all. New to this. Here's my gripe. Ordered a 2002 2500HD x-cab, 6.0 sb, auto. GM accepted order on June 13. To this day, NO BUILD DATE. Not for anything, this truck will be used to push snow and will not do me any good if it gets delivered in MARCH. Any ideas will be helpful. Heck, I can't even find a left-over and I really don't want to go to Ford. thanks for listening.
  • Options
    quadrunner500quadrunner500 Member Posts: 2,721
    Just find one on a lot. Plenty of 'em out there. May have to travel a short distance. If you visit http://www.gmbuypower.com , you can enter a zip code, and search the inventory on dealer lots, even print out the window sticker to see exactly how it's equipped.
  • Options
    Tried that, in the state of Ct within a 50 mile radius, there are 11 trucks. Half are diesels and big blocks.Nothing really close to what i want.It still is a shame that GM is always behind when it comes to this. Every GM truck I order has a delay attached to it. Then Again I should know better. And to think my local Ford Dealer has 30 Super Dutys in stock. Oh well...
  • Options
    50 miles might be a large radius in Ct. I drove 200 mi radius to get mine, and it was no big deal for me. I drove 550 mile radius to get my KTM520EXC motorcycle. I could fault KTM for not making more available in Denver, but can I fault them for having too many in Omaha? I don't really think this is a GM problem. Trucks like you describe are plentiful in many areas, like mine. It's probably just the nature, that trucks aren't as practical in densely populated states of the northeast, where you have to share roads and parking lots with small cars and urban commuters.
  • Options
    You should consider, if half of the 11 are diesels and big blocks, the dealers appear to be catering to upscale buyers. Not that that's bad, just that when demand for trucks is so low you only need 11, might as well carry the top flight models, since they are more profitable.
  • Options
    In my neck of the woods Syracuse ny
    The chevy dealer still has the same
    duramax and 8.1 there from may when i
    got my 6.0. They have NO 01 6.0 2500s
    in stock now.....................Geo
  • Options
    ...at least near me and 50 miles around me...all the dealers have all 3 engine combos. GM is doing their job here I guess.....actually it's the dealers who pick (sometimes) what they will get.

- Tim
  • Options
    I see tons of dmaxes, 8.1's, and 6.0's on dealers lots. How do i knbow what they are? Well on the trucks they have flourescent stickers on the front windows that say what they are.

Only thing i notice thats lacking is Crew Cabs. All i see on lots are ext cabs
  • Options
    Well, maybe I'm a little frustrated. My lease Yukon got sent back and now I'm reserved to driving my Dad's car.Yuck. I'm 6'4" and my head hits the roof. I hope this truck comes in soon..
  • Options
    Did you have the dealer do a search? All the dealers in my area are willing to do the 200 mile radius & pick it up for you. It is the least they should be doing for you since yours hasn't come through. Since vehicle sales are way down, and they want to keep you as a customer, this should have already be done. Where in CT?

Quad: in my neck of the northeast, mostly trucks, then SUVs, then cars. Local Chevy dealer has (so they claim) sold more trucks than cars on any given year (I would assume he is including SUVs also).
    -Eric
  • Options
    animal7animal7 Member Posts: 6
    haven't ordered the truck yet. job security? will probably order in oct, nov. Does anyone have fuel mileage on this truck? gmc 3500 D/A 4x4 crew cab.. I want to put a cap on it after i get it and wondered if the mileage will go up or down. My 99 gmc crew 4x4 5.7 got better mileage before i put the cap on it. Have the 2002 diesels changed at all? Fuel fill at truck stops.Had heard that this was a problem. Thanks for the info
This discussion has been closed.