Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    sundevilsundevil Member Posts: 28
    I am in the same area and bought a 04 HL in August. Tried the edmunds quote request service and submitted direct requests to almost all dealerships in the area including Schaumburg, Libertyville, Naperville, Lombard, Elmhurst & Elgin Toyota plus some others. Received competitive quotes from Elgin, Schaumburg and Elmhurst Toyota (Libertyville wanted me to come in before they would give a price, Lombard promised to get back but never did, never heard anything to this day from Naperville).

Did all the negotiations by email and took the best quote to Arlington Toyota as I had done the test drive over there (closest to my place, will get car serviced here) and wanted to give them a chance to meet the price. They matched without any haggling and I ended up buying from them.
  • Options
    mas23mas23 Member Posts: 38
    I have received online quotes from Libertyville, Naperville, Oakbrook, St. Charles, and Continental. The most responsive ones are Libertyville and Naperville. Best quote for '05 HL V6 w/ 3rd row is $300 under invoice. Also, I think I saw a Toyota commercial yesterday that the cash back is now $1000 for HL. I am deciding between the HL and a Ford Freestyle.
  • Options
    cfraziercfrazier Member Posts: 16
    Sundevil brings up a great point. Giving the dealership close to you a chance to match/beat your best offer is a good way to go, particularly for warranty work (if needed) and maintenance. I found Arlington to be a little more reluctant, but then again I was coming from the city.

Mas23: the "dealer invoice" is a moving target. Consumer Reports suggests to negotiate up instead of negotiating down. Look closely at your pricing services (Edmunds, et al). Based on information I have received from research and helpful information on this board, many "invoice price" listings already include allocation for holdback, marketing fee, and a wholesale margin. This number has to be balanced with: the time of the month you are visiting a dealership; whether it is an '04 or '05 you are after; if the car is "on the lot"; and, the homework you have done. Don't be ashamed to carry your folder of info to serve as visual evidence you have done your homework. Also, negotiate price without incentive. And be a straight shooter and demand that of them.

The $1K is for the '04s presently (and $500 for '05s). I am hoping this will change come 2 November 2004. Good luck with the negotiation! Keep the board posted on your success.

Cheers,
    c

PS Am biased... would suggest the Highlander vs Freestyle.
  • Options
    mas23mas23 Member Posts: 38
    cfrazier, great tips. I will keep those in mind. However, I have decided to purchase a Ford Freestyle. I got the A Plan from my brother who works for Ford and the price is comparable after that. I also like getting a vehicle at the begining of a design cycle rather than the end (I believe the 2006 HL will be redesigned). I think the HL is a nice vehicle also but the potential hestitation problem has affected me a bit.
  • Options
    fraublucherfraublucher Member Posts: 7
    If anyone is interested, Toyota of Greenfield (MA) is selling the Toyota Platinum Warranty at $20 above cost. I purchased the EW for my 04 HL LTD 7yr/75k $0 Ded for $595. As we will be turning this vehicle over to our daughter in 3 years when she reaches driving age, the EW was worth the money for us, but not at the $1005 our local dealership wanted for the same plan.

It pays to shop around (especially by the internet)!
  • Options
    sharifsmsharifsm Member Posts: 10
    The resale value on a 05, 4 cylin base model is horrible, I got one for 18,500 with just 800 miles.
  • Options
    mplantan1mplantan1 Member Posts: 6
    Does anyone know if there is any dealer cash out there for 04 Highlander in Charlotte N.C. or just $1,000 incentive

Thanks
  • Options
    steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Our Incentives & Rebates page doesn't show any manufacturer to dealer cash yet, but it's early in the month so that could change.

You can sign up for emailed Incentive Alerts as part of our DealSmart service.

Steve, Host
  • Options
    indecisive6indecisive6 Member Posts: 2
    I live in a small market (only one dealer for 200 miles) and test drove a '04 HIghlander V6 AWD limited, pretty loaded with leather seats, towing package, moonroof, GY-curtain/side airbags, EJ Premium JBL CD cha cha, Heated seats. Don't really care for the moonroof- get enough sun here in AZ.

It was driven as a "demo" by the sales manager and has 3596 miles. I have test driven a Freestyle, Pilot, Pacifica, and an older '02 Volvo xc90. And other than what seems like alot of wind noice on the freeway, I liked this car best. The dealer stated they could not go below invoice 31,600 (before the $1000 incentive discount) even with the mileage and offered 200 over invoice before incentives. This is their last '04. I didn't look at the '05 just figured this was where the discount was. From looking at postings here maybe thats a little high and I need to investigate the 05 Market, and head to Phoenix for the larger market.
  • Options
    hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    With 3596 miles, it's a used car. There's no way you should pay a new-car price. Given this dealer's apparent lack of integrity, I think it's worth it to explore the larger market in Pheonix.
  • Options
    bikeman3bikeman3 Member Posts: 85
    Not a used car, never titled. However I would ask for $500-600 off the lowest price, they can afford an extra 5% easy. It would be hard to find a better deal on an 05
  • Options
    metrostarsmetrostars Member Posts: 4
    For Fairfield County people, who did you go to and approx how much did you pay....I'm looking into the Highlander AWD with third row, not limited,
    Thanks
  • Options
    leetsaleetsa Member Posts: 1
    Although this is my first car purchase, I have been doing my homework online.

1)I was thrown off-guard when i went to a dealer who was trying to negotiate w/ me off the MSRP, not the invoice. What do I say to negotiate from the invoice so that it sounds like i know what i am talking about?

2)I want to buy an 05 AWD w/3rd row HL or limited with the LP+HD+SR+AG+DJ. What should I expect to pay for either?

Appreciate any feedback!
    Thanks
  • Options
    landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    When I bought my first car I read a book which is still in print and I highly recommend, "How to Buy a Car: A Former Car Salesman Tells All" by James R. Ross. When reading the book I said "C'mon, car salespeople don't use these crazy tactics anymore," but when I got to the dealership, low and behold, they used every tactic that was in the book! It's good that you did your homework and were able to walk away from the deal!

Suggestions:

1. Bring a clipboard with the invoice prices of the base price and all of the options added up, and any dealer incentives subtracted, for the exact vehicle you're considering. This shows the salesman you did your homework and you know what the dealer cost is.

2. When negotiating with the salesman, as much as he emphasizes "MSRP," you emphasize "invoice price:"

Him: "You're lucky, the general manager is in a really good mood today, we can probably get $1500 off MSRP."

You: [without hesitating or blinking, as though you are simply telling him what time it is] "I've researched invoice pricing and I'm willing to pay $500 under invoice price for this particular vehicle."

Him: "No way will she go that low! I can't go to her with an offer like that!!"

You: "Well, exactly how much over invoice is $1500 under MSRP?"

Him: [Goes to manager and comes back after 15 minutes] "You're in luck, we have a special promotional ending today; we can let it go at $xxxx."

You: [looking at clipboard] "According to my calculations $500 under invoice is $yyyy. How close can you get to this?"

Him: [Irritated (professional car salespeople spend many hours in front of the mirror practicing looking irritated)] "The manager will fire me if I go to her with such an insulting offer."

You: "Check with her anyway, I think its a fair offer."

The point is to never get drawn into talking about MSRP -- always remain focused on invoice and how their offer compares to invoice.

Your ace in the hole is to never fall in love with the vehicle and to always be willing to walk away from the deal.

Good luck!
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    I don't care for the back and forth discussions. I simply do my homework online, come up with what is a reasonable price. Then that's what I offer, goes something like this...."I'll pay $X for the vehicle plus tax, tag & title, AND NO OTHER DEALER, MANUF., OR MISC. FEES OF ANY KIND. I've already lined up financing at my local credit union at X% for X years, but if you can match that, I'll finance through you."

They usually try to push back and get more, but I stick to my guns, tell them I'm an internet junkie and that's what they're going for based on my research. Also, try working with the internet sales person as that's how they usually prefer to do business. If you've done your homework, it should be painless. Good luck.
  • Options
    indecisive6indecisive6 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for the feedback on the Demo. My first thought was similar to hmurphey, - this is not a new car but used. But now I see the dealers view that even though the car has miles they have never transferred title. It just doesn't seem right that a sales manager can drive around a car for three months and then sell it as "new". I'll ask for the 500 more off and if not go to Phoenix. If I get a car from Phoenix, I won't be able to service the car there but will be taking it to this local dealer for service. I should expect good service even if I didn't buy it there, right?
  • Options
    alui1alui1 Member Posts: 2
    rust1,

Could you tell me what all the upgrade abbr. are?
    I'm new to this board and am having a hard time deciphering all the abbr ... :)

Thanks
  • Options
    orcasorcas Member Posts: 1
    I recently purchased a 2004 v6, AWD with AG, CQ, TO, PE, RL, and EH (a rather basic HL) from Safro in SE WI. There web site lists a few remaining 2004. As posted on their web site, MSRP was 29,710 (agreeing with Edmonds figures) and invoice was 26,670 (about $330 more than Edmonds estimate). The web site "no haggle price" was 25,570. (No haggle prices for 2004s were 1,100 below their posted invoice. No haggle prices for 2005 v6, AWD were MSRP. I test drove this vehicle and did not detect any hesitation problems in the trans. I had fully intended to walk out after the first visit and come back with my wife. Not wanting to see me walk, they went with the "What can we do to make a deal today". I said that you can give me $300 off the bottom line for my rusty 1988 Camry w/ 197K miles. In hindsight, I should have asked for more $ off because they took this minor haggle. I estimate that the dealership made at least $500 off this deal
  • Options
    jimrobjimrob Member Posts: 4
    I am in the market for a new auto in the Phx AZ., area. The HL and 4runner are several of the vehicles, I am considering. Would appreciate any comments on best prices of each and dealers to visit for purchasing one of these vehicles. Thanks.
  • Options
    pf2001pf2001 Member Posts: 110
    Hi all,
      I was wondering what kind of deal I can get for a 04 Limited HL? Since it is the end of the year, you think I can get one below invoice?
    Thanks.
  • Options
    tcp27705tcp27705 Member Posts: 14
    I have been quoted a price of $600 over invoice for a 2005 HL configured however I want by Toyota of Durham, NC.

Can I expect a better deal than this through Costco or some other source?
  • Options
    sureshsuresh Member Posts: 4
    Hello All,

Is there anybody who bought a highlander(04-V6/FWD) couple or hundred dollars below invoice in Dallsa area?

Can you please share your experience and the dealer name.
    Thanks,
    -Raj
  • Options
    tomkat24tomkat24 Member Posts: 3
    I received a $300 over invoice deal from the Toyota dealer here in Harrisburg, PA for a 2005 HL Limited V6 AWD. I also contacted Costco and the Sams club auto programs. The dealer that Costco referred me to was firm at $400 over invoice. THe invoice costs did not agree with what was on this site. I asked to see the invoice and they said they did not provide that. I did not call them back. The dealer that I did make the deal with was straight up and said here is the deal, no haggle, and went smooth and found me the color I wanted the next day. COuld not be happier.
  • Options
    jcabrera4jcabrera4 Member Posts: 34
    If your in the North NJ area, take a look at prestigetoyota.com. I went through the internet dept. and got my 05 HL v6 AWD for $233 under invoice.
  • Options
    fsv2fsv2 Member Posts: 1
    Can you specify Westshore or Eastshore? I've been to Rahal already. Thinking about HL over the Pilot; now considering leasing option.
  • Options
    metrostarsmetrostars Member Posts: 4
    I just bought a 2005 Highlander AWD for $50 below invoice.
  • Options
    sportymonksportymonk Member Posts: 258
    TCP27705 If you could, could you email me the name of the person you dealt with. Where else did you look? I am in Rocky Mount and am over there quite a bit. Don't want to drive halfway across the US if I can help it. Did you have a trade in and did they do you fair on that?
    Thanks,
    Sporty
  • Options
    jjrefjjref Member Posts: 3
    Hello!

Just purchased a new 2005 Highlander 4-cyl FWD

No third row/ pretty base model.

Bought at Libertyville Toyota on Nov 30th.

Thanks to this forum, I knew exactly how much to pay. Anyone having doubts about how to negotiate off MSRP or Invoice, just take note of purchases made by people posting on this site.

I paid $22,100.

Added on the tax/doc./license OTD = $23,650

I drove north to the Carmax in Kenosha, Wisconsin (about 16 miles north) and they had them at their No-Haggle Price of $22,400.

And Naperville Toyota was advertising in print and on the internet for $22,000.

So I knew what I was going to pay, thanks to this site and the people that posted.

Wouldn't buy a car again without checking these forums.

Thanks so much again

JJREF
  • Options
    weatherfordweatherford Member Posts: 1
    Am looking for an 04 HL ltd in the Atlanta area and am willing to go further afield. Are their 04s still available?

Thanks,
  • Options
    lee_wlee_w Member Posts: 239
    Congratulations! Hope you enjoy your new ride. We have a link at the top of the page to our Owner's club. You may find it useful.
  • Options
    jm05jm05 Member Posts: 1
    Dear JJREF, How is the performance of the 4cyl Hylander? I'm considering purchasing one, but worry it may not have enough juice for the mountainous area I live in. But I like the better gas mileage. Thanks, jm
  • Options
    sdesde Member Posts: 42
    I'm in the market for an '05 Highlander. I've been told by a NY area dealer that there is no dealer holdback on this car, which is a direct contradiction to the CR stated holdback of $628. The dealer wants to begin negotiating from his invoice price, which includes a $499 TDA fee (which I understand is an advertising fee, amongst other things). This essentially means that he's claiming that his cost for the car is $1127 higher than I would otherwise have assumed.

Am I being taken for a ride here? Any recommendations?
  • Options
    landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Some dealers like to except holdback from negotiations as this is their way of being able to offer a vehicle below invoice and still make a profit. Some dealers will say they refuse to include holdbacks in negotiations, while others will say they include holdbacks but will quote an artificially inflated invoice price.

I used to know how to calculate holdbacks for Toyotas; somehow $628 seems high (thinking it should be more like $250), but you'd think CR would be correct. One source I've read (an Edmunds book I think) said 1%-2% for advertising is reasonable, so the $499 may be ok, though I remember seeing quotes of around $100-$300 either on this board or via personal experience when shopping for my HL.

The only way that there could be no holdback is if the car has been on the lot for 3 months or more (actually there would still be the holdback, but the dealer cost for keeping the car on the lot will have exhausted the holdback); best thing is to educate yourself on holdbacks (maybe edmunds.com has an article somewhere?) and then ask some pointed questions (How long is this particular HL been on the lot? Which other Toyota models do not have holdbacks? What is the holdback rate for those models which do have holdbacks?).

Bottom line is to get a sense of what the dealer is willing to let the HL go for and do some comparison shopping at other dealerships.
  • Options
    njtomnjtom Member Posts: 19
    I am trying to compare 2005 AWD highlander and AWD pilot (EX-L). What options should i choose for highlander to make it comparable with pilot? (Leather, but no DVD and no navigation). Some of the options seem to be duplicate.
  • Options
    sdesde Member Posts: 42
    >Bottom line is to get a sense of what the dealer is willing to let the HL go for and do some comparison shopping at other dealerships.< Sound advice, indeed. That's exactly what I ended up doing when I made my offer today, and I'm pleased with the results. Thanks for the information!
  • Options
    jjrefjjref Member Posts: 3
    Dear jm-

One of the main reasons I went with the 4cyl was for the gas mileage. I've been driving a 1995 grand caravan, 6cyl 3.0 engine. The van had 140 horse, compared to this 4cyl Highlander at 160 horsepower. This Highlander is surprisingly plenty peppy. I've been on the tollways and open roads, and I am very satisfied with the performance. No mountains in the Chicago suburbs, so I can't comment on huge inclines, and I won't be towing. If you test drive it, take it for a climb. I'm happy so far.

jjref
  • Options
    ramkramk Member Posts: 4
    Hi,

am planning to buy a new 2005 HL next week with all the features like 4x4, 3rd row seat, 6 cyl, moonroof,leather interior, heated seats and even the navigation system. I live in NJ.

Can any suggest the best price i can pay for it..

I am not so particular about Limited edition.

And also, any particular dealer? please help me buying a HL at a reasonable price !!
  • Options
    frustrated2frustrated2 Member Posts: 28
    Does anyone have the ability to compare between these two vehicles. Recently started looking at sorrento then realized it is somewhat comparable to highlander (sorrento still cheaper). However, looking at realiability, towing capacity, camping abilities, and also GAS MILEAGE. I know sorrento states 20hwy and i believe HL is about 24. Any thoughts suggestions would be great.
  • Options
    am planning to buy a new 2005 HL next week with all the features like 4x4, 3rd row seat, 6 cyl, moonroof,leather interior, heated seats and even the navigation system. I live in NJ.

Can any suggest the best price i can pay for it..

I am not so particular about Limited edition.

And also, any particular dealer? please help me buying a HL at a reasonable price !!
  • Options
    hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    If you want all of those features, you're probably better off going for a Limited. I'm not even sure you'd be able to find a non-Limited version that had all those features.
  • Options
    jcabrera4jcabrera4 Member Posts: 34
    Take a look at Prestige toyota in Ramsey. I went through the internet dept. and got it $300 below invoice. Be warned, do not go there on a saturday afternoon. Way too many people
  • Options
    colonelcolonel Member Posts: 4
    Just purchased a 2005 Toyota Highlander FWD (2.4L 4 Cyl 4A)with these options added:

Rear Privacy Glass

Security System Upgrade

Floor Mats

Total with taxes and all fees = $23,351.48

I think I got a very good deal.
  • Options
    Thanks, i'll consider Prestige toyota!!
  • Options
    tedmanntedmann Member Posts: 2
    Hi Everyone

I am new here.

I am looking at getting a new HL for my wife.

I was wondering what is the best price to get one.

What do you guy think I should be looking for?

OR any idea what I should do before going to the dealer?

thanks

tedmann
  • Options
    tedmanntedmann Member Posts: 2
    Hi

I want to buy it in San Ramon California.

thanks

tedmann
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    tedmann, your wife is very lucky indeed! Before you go any further, you should click on our "new cars" tab at the top and build the Highlander you'd like to buy. At the end of the quick process, you'll get a list of several prices - MSRP (full retail), invoice pricing, and TMV pricing (average price that others in your area are paying).

It looks like there's a $750 rebate in your area, and on average, people are paying ~$400 above invoice.

kirstie_h

Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    aro4889aro4889 Member Posts: 1
    Hello,

I am looking to buy 2005 Highlander with all-wheel drive, and V6. The only other feature that I am interested in is side-curtain airbags but the dealer told me that I can only get them if order a bunch of other options like sunroof, towing package,etc. Do you guys know if it is true?
  • Options
    high3high3 Member Posts: 2
    What would be best price to pay for a highlander V6 Limited 2wd with 3 rd row and options TO,VV and PV30. Any help would be appreciated.
  • Options
    jwniejjwniej Member Posts: 1
    A dealership in Southern Connecticut claims you can't get a 2WD Limited in the Northeast. Does anyone know if there is any truth to this? Thanks.
  • Options
    tom25tom25 Member Posts: 17
    colonel,

You do the special order or just buy from the parking lot?

I show this price to Toyota dealer in Houston, they said that they can not do with this price. Do you have a trade-in or any downpayment?

Thanks,