Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    coug2coug2 Member Posts: 34
    A dealer sent me his invoice and listed the base price on a 4X4 6 cyl as 23555, but edmunds has it listed as 24553. Any idea what's the difference?

Also, the dealer ADDS the holdback (and wholesale financial reserve) to come up with his invoice price. Why is the holdback added to the invoice? Shouldn't it be substracted? Wholesale financial reserve, I assume, is just additional dealer profit.

Please help me understand.

Thanks.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Holdback shouldn't be mentioned - it shouldn't be added, it shouldn't be subtracted. Please see our discussion on Dealer Holdback questions for more information.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Kristie -

Thanks for the link. However, after reading a lot in that forum, I think you are wrong. According to posts, a CA lawsuit required toyo to list the holdback. That helps explain why toyo invoice is not equal to edmunds invoice. See for example, the host's post #216 in the dealer holdback forum.

I still can't generate edmunds # from the "invoice" the dealer sent me, however - even if I add holdback and financial reserve, the dealer's # is a couple of hundred less than edmunds.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Sorry, I mis-read and thought you were talking about MSRP pricing. Why did the dealer send you his invoice? It's an odd thing to do, unless he intends to sell you the vehicle at or near invoice.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host
    Host, Future Vehicles & Smart Shopper discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    He told me he had several Highlanders equip how I wanted and asked how much I was looking to spend. I asked him to send me the invoices so I could see where to start. He did. His email also said that all offers had to be over invoice. I asked, and received e-mailed (pdf) invoices before as well.
  • Options
    retinrretinr Member Posts: 1
    I live in Reno and sent out faxes for the HL I wanted to the 3 Northern NV dealers and 8 in Northern CA. None had the HL I wanted or were willing to deal.

I saw the post for the Truckee Auto Mall and gave them a call. They got the HL exactly as I wanted it equipped in two business days and $400 under factory invoice.

If you live in Reno or the Lake Tahoe area, I can wholeheartedly recommend Truckee Auto Mall for your next auto purchase.
  • Options
    pcritpcrit Member Posts: 27
    I just bought an'05 HL Limited 4X4 and paid $200 over factory invoice (not including the $1K rebate), which was $4,150 under suggested retail price. It was very difficult to find an AWD HL with side airbags in the Atlanta area, for some reason Toyota ships a very limited number of these to the Southeast region. Since I wanted the side airbags I had to get the package provided, which had leather, heated seats, moon roof, tow pkg, 6-disc changer AND side airbags.
  • Options
    chrisconchriscon Member Posts: 23
    I got a salesprice of $26,300 on MSRP of $29,789.

I submitted a request for a quote through this site and was contacted by dealer. I stated right away that I knew invoice was $24,500 on base model and asked how close he could get to this #. Since you can't get just the based model V6 4WD in this area, he stated $26,300 was as low as he could go. This was $750 under invoice.

As a side note. I went to 3 different Toyota dealerships, and each one of them seemed very dishonest. Even the one I went with, I had to REMIND him of the price he quoted me through email. I liked the car too much to let the dealers ethics disuade me from my purchase. I just made sure that I let them know that they were not going to pull one over on me. What are other peoples thoughts on the Toyota dealerships they encounterd?
  • Options
    wupotwupot Member Posts: 3
    I soon will be looking to buy a HL with the same options. If you don't mind me asking, which Atlanta dealer did you go to?
  • Options
    Atlanta Toyota on Pleasant Hill. Like I said, if you want the AWD with side airbag your choices will be limited. I had to wait 4 weeks for mine to arrive, and there were only 3 HLs of this type delivered to the southeast region, black, white, and silver. The silver was our 2nd color choice. If you need more info, just drop me an email.
  • Options
    farmguy2001farmguy2001 Member Posts: 5
    I am going to have to factory order (SE region does not have ANY V-6 AWD with side air bags/curtains) a 2005 HL V6 AWD with side curtains, appearance and tow pkgs, fogs, DRL. Need help on north GA dealers and negotiation.
  • Options
    cyberdudecyberdude Member Posts: 2
    I got a Highlander V6 4x4, cloth seats. Options FE TO EH LF RL HE AG CF. Model number 6928a

I paid $25,530 on MSRP of $29,789, with a documentary fee of $55 at Team-Toyota, Langhorne PA.

First I visited the local dealer, located the model with the options I wanted. I then went to Toyota’s home page and located 20 dealerships home pages (inventory page), found the same model, with same options, with the same MSRP. I then asked for a price quote. Price was to include itemized cost. i.e documentary fee, tax and tags.

I of course got all sorts of wrong bids back (different model or did not list all the additional cost or tried in include the college graduate rebate). But I just emailed them back, told them I was a serious purchaser and asked for the same information again. I never once had to pickup the phone. Some dealers wanted me to call, but I would email them back saying I did not have time. In some cases this took a couple of emails.

I then took the lowest price, pasted in an email to the dealerships that gave me information that I wasted and told them to beat it. I did this a few times until I had one dealership left. Team-Toyota Langhorne PA

I paid exactly what the final quote was.

Great car.
  • Options
    benditbendit Member Posts: 1
    This is the highlander 4x4 V6 w/ 3rd row right?
    So below is the options you have?

2005 Toyota Highlander
    AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)
    MSRP Invoice
    National Base Price $27,590 $24,553
    A note about advertising fees
    Regional Adjustment - -
    for Zip Code

Optional Equipment $1,635 $1,308
    HE Preferred Package $665 $532
    AG Appearance Package $600 $480
    TO Towing Prep. Package $160 $128
    LF Fog Lamps $110 $88
    EH Cold Weather Package $60 $48
    RL Daytime Running Lights $40 $32
    $0 $0
    Color Adjustment - -
    Destination Charge $565 $565
    Total with Options $29,790 $26,426

You price is almost $900 below the invoice price? How could you bargain with them to get such a low price. It is because of the end of the month for the dealer? Great job.
  • Options
    cyberdudecyberdude Member Posts: 2
    Bemdit,

Everything you list is correct. It also has the 3rd row seat.

I thought it was more than $900ish below invoice. I just kept emailing all the various parties until there was one left. I do not always believe the invoice is the lowest price, because the dealers also get rebates themselves.

I am sure the dealer Team-Toyota still made a profit.
  • Options
    don731don731 Member Posts: 3
    I've been quoted $30,460 for a new 2005 HL Limited AWD with LA, HD, VV, GY, TO, LL, CF. Seems to be about $500 under invoice. Includes all current incentives. Seems like a good price...any feedback?

Thanks!
  • Options
    That looks like a very good price. I paid $200 over invoice for the same package in an AWD Lmtd a few weeks ago in order to get one with side airbags(Atlanta area).
  • Options
    svk123svk123 Member Posts: 2
    Hi, I'm planning to purchase HL with the following options.. what price should i aim for when i goto the dealer... thanks!

2005 Toyota Highlander
    AWD 4dr SUV w/3rd Row (3.3L 6cyl 5A)

Option Description Invoice MSRP
    PREFERRED PKG $532.00 $665.00
    APPEARANCE PKG $480.00 $600.00
    FOG LAMPS $88.00 $110.00
    TOWING PREP PKG $128.00 $160.00
    Options Total $1,228.00 $1,535.00
    Destination Charges $565.00 $565.00
    Base Price $24,553.00 $27,590.00
    Total Price $26,346.00 $29,690.00

On the incentives I see $750 incentive...

So should I aim for Invoice minus rebates, $26346 - $750 = $25596 ?

Thanks.
  • Options
    yodimazyodimaz Member Posts: 4
    Sounds pretty good. I just paid $29,100 in Midwest (includes $1000 rebate) for an 05 HL Limited 4x2 with FE, LA, HD, LL, TO, GY, VV, CF, GN. The $1360 difference between the two prices is about the actual invoice difference of 4x2 vs AWD. Get multiple quotes and let the dealers bid against each other. Good luck!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Contact me at: *****

Please keep the discussion here. To do otherwise defeats the purpose of a message board which is to share information and experiences.

tidester, host
  • Options
    Looks like most are getting their HLs within a few hundred +/- of factory invoice, before the rebate.

Also, Edmunds has the current HL incentive at $1000 until 3/31/05.
  • Options
    rationalrational Member Posts: 7
    I am seriously considering to buy a 2005 V6 4WD HL now. Please recommend a dealer in Boston area. Thanks.
  • Options
    trnrztrnrz Member Posts: 4
    My local dealer says the only way to get a highlander with side air bags is to order the limited. I contacted toyota, and asked where in US I can get a fwd 4 cyl with side airbags, and they say contact local dealer (this is New england). Have any of you been able to get a vehicle this way? It clearly states in brochure that side air bags is an option on all models, yet the dealer says no. I think it stinks that Toyota is making you upgrade $8000 just to get a safety feature.
  • Options
    typesixtypesix Member Posts: 321
    I have a 2004 fwd 4 cyl Highlander and couldn't get side airbags in Boston area. Only on expensive models is airbag available despite what catalog states.Dealers want buyers to get V-6 awd models. Also couldn't get 3rd row seat for carrying kids, Toyota(not dealer) won't sell 4 cyl fwd with 3rd row in NE.
  • Options
    vipinguptavipingupta Member Posts: 21
    I have exactly same problem. I too think the 4 CYL FWD HL is sufficient for my needs with 3rd row seat, but can not buy it. For getting 3rd row seat I need to spend atleast another $3000-4000, which is ridiculous.
  • Options
    vipinguptavipingupta Member Posts: 21
    I think the rebate is $750. Edmunds shows it so and a dealer confirmed this to me yesterday.
  • Options
    Well, in my zip (30093) it was $1000 in Feb when I bought my HL, and according to Edmunds, which I copied below, it's still $1000 for my zip. Obviously the last sentence applies "Incentives may vary; see your local dealer for details".

$1000 Cash to Customer start: 03/01/2005 end: 03/31/2005
    Restrictions $1000 Customer cash may not be combined with 0% - 3.9% APR.

Comments: Incentives may vary; see your local dealer for details.
  • Options
    georgeb7georgeb7 Member Posts: 35
    I bought from Fremont Toyota in Fremont, California. They have a huge selection. Here's what I got;

$ 27,000 out the door.
    Salsa Red
    V6 without third row seat
    Driver and passenger side airbags
    Back seat side air bags
    Appearance package
    16" Alloy Rims
    Color-keyed mudgaurds
    Rear and side tinted glass
    Preferred accessory package
    Carpet Floor/Cargo Mat Set (5 or 6-Piece
    Set) .•Cargo Net .•First Aid Kit .•Emergency
    Assistance Kit.
    Preferred Package :
    •8-Way Power Driver/4-Way Manual Passenger
    Seat .•Sunvisor w/Illuminated
    Mirror .•HomeLink Wireless Control
    System .•Immobilizer .•Includes windshield
    deicer..
    Cold Weather Package :
    •Heated Retractable Outside Rearview
    Mirrors .•Includes windshield deicer..

So far so good...no problems. I drove it from Fremont to Fresno.(About 180 miles).

Here's how I dealt with the dealer. When I drove up, a salesman approached me and I asked him if he had a Red Highlander. He asked me to follow him and I could se that the inventory was huge.(They have 1500 Toyotas on their lot and are currently expanding). He drove me to a location that had the Red Salsa V6. It was exactly what I was looking for. I then mentioned that I would only pay $4,000 under MSRP, which worked out to be about $500 under invoice. We went into his office and he talked to his manager. Five minutes later he was back and we signed the papers. There was absolutely no problem at all.
    The only small delay was that they were selling so many cars that they did not have enough Finance people to write-up the financing. They sell between 5 and 8 hundred cars per month.

I chose to go with the Toyota regular financing (not the 2.9 special rate) which was 6.99 because it was either the special financing or the $1000 cash. I chose the $1000 rebate. Here's my reasoning on this.

I cold get a lower interest rate with my credit union at 3.9. However, if I do this i will have no leverage if my vehicle has problems. That is to say, if I am making payments to Toyota and my car can't be fixed by the dealer, I will write to Toyota Motor Credit Company and tell them that I will stop payments if my problem is not resolved.

After a few months, if the vehicle is running properly, I can re-finance to the lower 3.9. (Credit unions will consider a car to be new for up to 24 months after purchase).

Most vehicles will show signs of major problems within a couple months, if not weeks.

I highly recommend this dealer.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to ask.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    " if I am making payments to Toyota and my car can't be fixed by the dealer, I will write to Toyota Motor Credit Company and tell them that I will stop payments if my problem is not resolved."

I've never heard of anyone doing that. But I'd suggest reading all the fine print as I believe that route will get your vehicle repo'ed and kill your credit. And you'll still be on the hook for missed payments, interest, etc. etc.
  • Options
    georgeb7georgeb7 Member Posts: 35
    I have known several people who have done just what I stated. Each got a prompt response from the dealer. They either received their money back or was offered another vehicle at a pro-rated price. It's the path of least resistence and it seems to work.

As far as the credit goes, I don't need it.
  • Options
    dawneedawnee Member Posts: 59
    Looking at HL Ltd and have received really good quote online but I have a question. I have read that if you are trading in a vehicle that the sales tax is not calculated on the selling price of the new vehicle but on the difference between the sell price of new vehicle minus the trade allowance amount. If I understand correctly...if I purchase HL Ltd for $29,000 and trade allowance is $12,000. They figure tax on $17,000 which is the difference. Can anyone attest to this? I am curious because I had a dealer give us a quote and he figured tax on what looked like the sell price of new vehicle plus the trade allowance. Didn't know if this procedure varied by state or not??

We have not traded in a vehicle & purchased new for quite some time so I don't remember. The last few new car purchases we did were leases and they are done different, of course.
  • Options
    hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    I believe you're correct. My sales tax was about $900-1000 at 7% for a HL Ltd., so it must have been calculated on the amount remaining after the trade-in value was deducted.
  • Options
    Yep, that's the way it's done in Florida and NY, probably varies by state though.
  • Options
    squadman33squadman33 Member Posts: 1
    That sounds like a great deal !! I am shopping for an 05 - 4x4-4 cyl with a nice package, but not the limited. I will remember your price. Also, are you happy with the 4 banger? What kind or mileage are you getting? I'm looking for cedent power and good mileage. The 2.4 cylinder should do it.
    I rather not buy the 6. I dont tow anything.

Thanks for the good posting.
  • Options
    sams_6sams_6 Member Posts: 15
    What'd you get for Explorer? I just bought a HL and traded in 97 Explorer XLT which also had 118K miles.
  • Options
    2005 HL V6 with
    FE HD EJ SR TO EH LF RL LP AG JY E5 CF plus trailer hitch.

$29.5K including destination and $750 rebate. Doc prep $144.
  • Options
    chinatownmanchinatownman Member Posts: 1
    I just paid $37K with 3.9% finance. the car is pretty good in handling. You might see small issue on the first 1000 miles. But, its covered by the warranty.

Overall, the HL Limited 4x4 3.3 with 3rd row is a excellent mid-size SUV. But, never open your back passenger side windows while over 40MPH, you car will start shaking (dance) and possible getting a accident. this is not a joke.

HL is little too heavy, especially while driving local with lots of red lights, its doesn pick up fast, you have to easy on the gas pedal. on the highway, its easy to hit 80mph without notice it.

ohh, NEVER buy any brush bar (grill bar) or running board from the dealer, they charge around $545+labor for running board, $1000+labor for front & back brush bar & bumper guard.

buy it from ebay, you can get OEM HL parts for VERY VERY LESS $$ and its VERY VERY EASY TO INSTALL, I JUST DID IT LAST NIGHT. :)

If you need the seller where I bought for the HL OEM running board for only $280, please let me know. I don't associate with this seller, just want to save you $$$$

2005 HL ++++++++++
  • Options
    wingnutt5wingnutt5 Member Posts: 6
    Purchased in Jan '05
    MSRP $35749
    Purchase price $31587 (after $500 rebate)

Includes:
    FE, LA, HD, TO, GY, VV, CF, GN, 7R, 3Z, WL

Dealership was even nice enough to throw in a telescoping ice scraper since we were expecting snow the morning after my purchase.

Deal was a few days before the end of the month.
  • Options
    buckeye10buckeye10 Member Posts: 6
    I am going to be buying a 04 Highlander Limited 2WD with all options except Nav. 11500 miles. Is $26,000 a good price? I have checked edmunds but just wanted to get your feedback because I have not bought a used car in many years. Thanks!
  • Options
    kman1kman1 Member Posts: 12
    I'm looking to buy/lease the Limited V6 AWD with LL and HD and a lot of the other good stuff (no Nav or DVD), but it seems like most of these puppies come with the Towing package and I don't want or need to pay for that. Anyone able to buy a fairly loaded Limited without the TO?
  • Options
    Towing prep only costs $160 so trying to find a Limited without it isn't worth the trouble (I'm not sure that they're even available). The towing package includes a larger radiator, higher output alternator, and a transmission cooler.
  • Options
    We have found a 2004 HL Ltd which was a manager demo and has 6,456 miles. There is a $2,000 rebate available thru 3/31 from Toyota. Since this car has never been titled it is not considered "used" but it is almost 2 yrs old as far as model years and has over 6400 miles. Can anyone give me some guidelines as far as pricing? We are dealing with this dealership online and they are giving me a walk out the door price that is $400 less than what I can get a brand new 2005 HL Ltd w/ same options with no mileage.

Just give me some idea if I am going to be better off price wise with the new 2005 plus am I penalized for the mileage with my 3 yr/36,000 miles?

I need some input ASAP. We want to get something soon. We looked at a used '03 and it was nice but got feedback that suggested we would be better off with the 3.3 V6 so that is what we are looking for.
  • Options
    $400 difference? That's all? To me it's a no brainer, go with the new 2005. With the 2004, you'll be penalized as soon as you drive it off the lot, as it will be a one year old used vehicle, even though you've only had it a day.

Also, since the 2004 hasn't been titled, you wouldn't lose any of the 3 yr warranty, but you would on the mileage. So if you expect to put less than 30K miles over the next 3 yrs, you're OK.

With the way Hondas and Toyotas hold there value, I've never been able to justify buying a used one.
  • Options
    Yep, mikefm, just $400 difference. I just didn't think that was enough to justify what I consider used. No it hasn't been titled but someone put 6400 miles on it, which is wear and tear on the vehicle and tires. The salesman said give him a figure and he would work with me. I was thinking about giving him a figure of an additional $3,000 off just for the fun of it and see what response that gets. And the salesman is telling me that I wouldn't be penalized any for mileage or years on the 3/36 but I think I will be on the mileage just as you said mikefm.

Thanks for the input and had never thought about the thing of the Toyo holding its value so I would be just as well off with the new one.
  • Options
    buckeye10buckeye10 Member Posts: 6
    Bump
  • Options
    mdchachimdchachi Member Posts: 275
    > I have known several people who have done just what I stated.

Was this with Toyota or some other manufacturer?
  • Options
    rationalrational Member Posts: 7
    I have been offered a highlander, V6 AWD with options: FE,AG,EH,HE,JY,LF,RL,TO,CF
    for $26,500 after rebate. I'd like to get your opinions if this is a good deal. thanks
  • Options
    alphawolfalphawolf Member Posts: 100
    Has anyone dealt with Toyota dealers in the Orlando, FL area?

I'm looking to get a fully loaded HL Limited end of next month.

Thanks in advance.

Dean
  • Options
    maxxlt2004maxxlt2004 Member Posts: 71
    Carmax gave me a quote of $26148 including all fees except taxes. I'd like to get the rear spoiler which adds $334. Should I go with a 4 cylinder instead? Is there s big difference in the 4 cylinder or 6 cylinder engineS? Which is more popular?

AWD or FWD? On the Toyota site it says the Highlanders are 4WD. Then I heard they are AWD, which is true?

2005 Highlander, Bluestone Metallic, Ivory cloth

4-dr 4x4 V6 SUV w/ 3rd Row 5-Speed Automatic (6928) $27,590

Delivery, Handling and Processing Fee:** $565

Options: $2,850
    50 state emissions, 8-way power driver/4-way manual pass seat, Appearance Package includes:Aluminum wheels w/P225/70R16 tires,full size aluminum spare,color-keyed mudguards amd privacy glass on rear quarter windows and back window, Daytime running lights, Driver & Passenger Side Airbags, 1st/2nd Row Curtain Side Airbags & sunvisors w/illumination, Heated & foldable outside rear view mirror, Power tilt/slide moonroof, Tow prep package & converter (3000 lbs)

Accessories:
    Rear spoiler (R7) $334

Total MSRP:*** $31,778
  • Options
    Central Florida Toyota. I'll send you an email with the internet salesman's name. I bought a new 2004 HL and Tacoma from him last year, and a friend bought a new 4Runner from him last year too.
  • Options
    alphawolfalphawolf Member Posts: 100
    Thanks, Mike. Got your e-mail and will follow up for sure.