Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    tom25tom25 Member Posts: 17
    sharifsm,

Where did you buy the HL?
  • Options
    Can someone know the actual amount/percentage of TTL?

Is this part of cost negotiable with the dealer?
  • Options
    I want to buy a base '05 Highlander (V4, FWD) in Houston. Does anybody has the deal price recently?
  • Options
    ddpstcddpstc Member Posts: 44
    Hi Kristie:

Edmunds currently lists a $500 marketing support as an incentive. With the $500 marketing support to dealer for HL 2005, I think buyer can get a car at invoice. In fact, if the salepeople at a dealership are competing for awards and/or quota, they may sell the 2005 HL at $200 below invoice.
  • Options
    Curently there is a $500 marketing incentive to dealer, so it is like a dealer hold back.
  • Options
    Me too. I own a 1999 Honda CR-V and recently bought a 2004 4 cyl AWD Highlander. I found the acceleration of this 4 Cyl Highander very good, better than my CR-V and much better than my old 1991 4 cyl. Camry. In my opinion, a 4Cyl HL is adequate, especially after Toyota increased its horsepower to 160 from 155.
  • Options
    landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    Tax title and license fees vary from state to state, so it depends on the state you're in; they are not negotiable but based on the sales tax rate for your state (if there is any) and your state's motor vehicle department's registration fees for the particular vehicle. The dealership will typically charge $45 for processing of this paperwork. In California it will add about 9% or so to the negotiated cost.
  • Options
    beenthere2beenthere2 Member Posts: 1
    LOS ANGELES (San Fernando Valley) $5000 BELOW MSRP!

ONLY WORK WITH THE INTERNET MANAGERS!

I got an end of the year bargain. I just got the V6 Highlander Limited with the standard Limited package (LL,TO, FE,EJ,LA,HD,SR,TO,GY,Z1). Shopped by internet, got lots of quotes, got the car for $1200 UNDER INVOICE, and then the $750 rebate was taken off of that! Local dealer met the price of one of the others who obviously was more aggressive. They told me NOT to tell others, well, sorry, I like to let people know that they can negotiate MUCH better deals then they want you to know about. DO YOUR HOMEWORK!

PRICE was $29708-750 (for a fully loaded car). Out the door price with taxes,fees, etc, $31,708.

Paid by cashiers check and credit card (dealers will allow $3K on your credit card- pay it off the first month and get your Air Miles to boot!

Hope this helps.
  • Options
    michaelp1michaelp1 Member Posts: 14
    Hello,

I'm just about ready to make the purchase (still tinkering with the option packages which I'll kick around in the general room) and was told by one dealer in Queens NY when he saw that I had the printouts that he'll go $300.00 over invoice, and that he would show his books. When I made my last purchase (2001 Subaru Forester) I was able to get it at $75.00 over invoice.

I know I could get him down from $300.00 if I go back, but assumed I would have to pay something over invoice. But from looking at this board it appears that lots of folks get below invoice. Anyone have any luck doing that in the Queens / Long Island area? (I saw one poster recommend a NJ dealer). Am I better off doing this with a dealer over the internet? I usually pay all cash - does that hurt or help my negotiating position? And how do I find out about any cash back / rebates / or dealer incentives that the dealer may not share?

Much thanks. And once again, Edmunds and these forums have given me great information.
  • Options
    I heard in the news that Congress reennacted a law that allows deduction of sales tax on SUVs bought in 2004-2005. You must itemize your deduction to claim it. For a 7 percent sales tax on an SUV of $30,000 the deduction is $2,100. SUVs bought before 2004 cannot get deduction for sales tax.
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    That law gives individuals the option of deducting either state income tax or sales tax. Sales taxes paid can be figured using pub. 600 from irs.gov. Basically there's a table you look up and then add in sales tax paid on big ticket items such as vehicles, not just SUVs.

So if you're in a state where there is no state income tax (like I am in Florida), this is a pretty nice deduction. I bought two vehicles in 2004, yipee. Remember now, you have to itemize to get the deduction.
  • Options
    rizzotreemanrizzotreeman Member Posts: 14
    hello all - My wife has done some test driving, and she likes the Highlander Limited. We are thinking of leasing a HL LTD V6 AWD, with leather, sunroof, heated seats, and the upgraded stereo. Has anyone got any sample lease terms they've been able to negotiate (Cap cost, money factor, residual, etc.?)

We would be looking at a fairly standard 36 mth/12k per year lease with minimal upfront payment, as this vehicle will be used for business purposes, and the monthly lease payments will be tax deductible. Thanks very much for your help in advance!
  • Options
    tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    For more discussion on leases visit Lease Questions - Ask Here.

tidester, host
  • Options
    principalprincipal Member Posts: 1
    This is my first time to visit the Edmunds Forum which I have found very informative. I drove a 2005 HL Limited today and was impressed. i have been considering a GMC Envoy but just may change my mind. I was looking for a posting from south Louisiana or south Mississippi in regard to prices paid for a 2005 HL Limited + moonroof, 6 disc CD changer & side curtains. Also, when I went to the pricing page at Edmund's, charges were added for mudguards and alloy wheels which according to my brochure are standard on the Limited. (These charges ate up the $750 incentive) Can anyone explain this? What would be a good price for this model? Thanks to anyone who can help.
  • Options
    high3high3 Member Posts: 2
    With options: To,LL,VV,PV30 . The turnkey price that I got yesterday was 28600.
  • Options
    middleageguymiddleageguy Member Posts: 42
    I posted a description of my experience with our 2004 Highlander with a third seat in general section under Highlander compared to Pilot. MSRP was $29,500 and paid invoice of $25,500. The Internet did help, but also look at the car ads. This was reinforced when I purchased a used auto and the price on the Internet and AutoTrader was $2,000 less than dealer quoted me on the same auto.

Unless you order from the factory, Toyota packages their autos with specific items. For example, no towing packages unless ordered and Limited was only 4WD in Chicago area.
  • Options
    thomcinthomcin Member Posts: 29
    Every Toyota (auto,truck,van,suv and others) has a holdback on it. The salesman who told you otherwise either did not know (may be new or was told this by someone at dealership) or did not tell you the truth. I have never paid TMD on any new Toyota I have ever owned (6 of them) My suggestion is to find a more informed salesman or a more honest dealership.
  • Options
    pmakkenapmakkena Member Posts: 3
    I am shopping for a 2004 highlander (new) in New Jersey. Whatz a good price to pay for it.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Make sure you start by clicking the "new cars" tab at the top of the page. You can build your vehicle, then see what others in your area are paying (on average) for that same car.

Your target price will vary depending on what options you select, so if you want more info, be sure to post as many details as possible about the vehicle you want.

kirstie_h

Roving Host

Host, Smart Shopper & Future Vehicles discussions

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    cindy4cindy4 Member Posts: 19
    Mikefm58,

I couldn't agree with you more on your buying stategy. WHen I purchased my wife's 2002 Honda Accord w/leather three years ago, I did plenty of research. My original plan was to call three dealers and then visit three dealers. But after spending some time on the phone one day at lunch, I quickly saw the benefits of NOT VISITING the dealer when you finally decide EXACTLY what you want. I ended up calling 6 dealers, told them all the same statement (this is what we are looking for, no trade in, finacinig already taken care of, right now we are shopping only price). Over two days, I had six quotes about $800 from lowest to highest. I called the lowest back the next day just to be sure and when I verified all of the features, she said " I'm sorry, I thought you said you wanted an manual transmission. In that case, the honda will be more money" which now broght it to third place. This method, in my mind, is the only way to purchase a new car. We are in market for another new car (mine this time!) so I will be using this method in a few weeks. DO YOUR HOMEWORK and KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU WANT. it will pay off in the end.
  • Options
    a_dad66a_dad66 Member Posts: 3
    Going through one of the "invoice" Internet quote services, I've gotten a few quotes from area dealers for a 2005 HL 4WD V6 at about 4.5 to 5% over invoice (before fees, before $500 incentive). However, there's a "no-haggle" place within a 3-hour drive from me that lists one we like for 1.5% BELOW invoice (same deal with fees/incentive).

So my question is do I still have to haggle with the local dealers to get the price down further? I thought the reason for these sites is so we wouldn't have to dicker. Or is it that dealers in sparsely populated areas (central Illinois) just don't sell for a "reasonable" profit 'cause they know they can put the screws to us?
  • Options
    dflyeddflyed Member Posts: 2
    I am looking to purchase a HL Ltd AWD pretty well maxxed-out, except no RES or Nav. (MSRP = 35,155)

I am in upstate NY (Albany area) and this is not an especially competitive market. Any recent experiences buying in this region ? What prices are people getting around here ?

So far I am looking within an hour of Albany, but would be willing to travel farther (e.g, Syracuse, P'keepsie) if anyone can suggest a dealer with more competitive pricing.

Thanks !
  • Options
    yodimazyodimaz Member Posts: 4
    Got a quote in the Midwest for an 05 Limited 4x2 with leather seats, heated seats, tow package, extra value package, side air bags and carpet floor/cargo mats of $29,800.00. This price inclues dealer keeping the current $500 rebate. Is this any good? What about dealer document charges, is $200 reasonable? Thanks
  • Options
    landdriverlanddriver Member Posts: 607
    This is a pretty good deal; I rarely see quotes under 30K for a Limited; go for it! (~$50 is what's reasonable for documentation fees.)
  • Options
    Well I'm at $29,600 now w/$200 for document fees.
  • Options
    hmurphyhmurphy Member Posts: 278
    Which engine does it have?

I paid $31,600 for an 04 AWD V6, so $2K less for one that doesn't have a V6 or AWD doesn't seem like that much of a bargain.

If it has the V6, maybe that's not so bad.
  • Options
    The Limited only comes with the V6 and well as standard 17" alloy wheel/tires. It also has as an installed option for the price quoted the "extra value package" which has 6 disc CD changer and 8 JBL speakers as well as power glass moonroof. Don't want AWD. Is yours a Limited?
  • Options
    Yes.
  • Options
    truckeegaltruckeegal Member Posts: 4
    I had a great buying experience! I went through a car broker. After researching thoroughly, and doing several test drives, we knew exactly what we wanted and how much to pay. I called the broker, and he got back to me within 2 hours, with news he had found the car and we settled easily on a price.

The highlander was delivered to my house, spotlessly clean, with a full tank of gas. It took 15 minutes from the time the delivery guys showed up, to finish the transaction. Eg. sign the papers.

We paid $26899, Options HE, JY, AG, TO, LF, & FE, with a chrome exhause tip thrown in for good measure.

Yay! Has anyone else done this?
  • Options
    rust1rust1 Member Posts: 13
    Sounds like you did OK. Enjoy your new HL, I am.
  • Options
    tscuttytscutty Member Posts: 1
    Hi - It's a over a month later but I am having the exact same issue. I only want the Side Air bags on the AWD with the 3rd row and I'm being told the same thing: I must have options over $1000 more. What happened with you. I'm planning on going in and saying I won;t pay for the other options (i,e. I still want the price as if it was only the Side air bags). But not sure that will fly. And not sure if I'll be able to argue for invoice or less for the air bags since th e other features are included. Any thoughts anyone?
  • Options
    In my experience, Toyotas usually come in a few set trim levels. You can't really pick and choose what you want. When I was shopping for my HL (in 2004), the AWD/3rd row/side-curtain airbags only came with sunroof, tow prep pkg, etc. I eventually bought a Limited, which had all that stuff anyway, but I don't think you can get the options you want without also getting some of the options you don't want. The dealers probably don't even have vehicles that include only the options you specified.

Toyota seems to determine what it thinks the most popular combinations of options will be, and then essentially put out base, mid-level, and Limited versions with set features.
  • Options
    dflyeddflyed Member Posts: 2
    It was explained to me that each region of Toyota sales (& Lexus too, fwiw) determines specific "sets" of options for different models. With some minor things in/out around the margins (like wheel locks, floor mats, emergency kits), all of the models in the region have essentially the same set of options. e.g. -- Around here, if I want a 2005 Ltd. w/o DVD or Nav, it comes with Side Air Bags, Value Pkg., Tow Prep, Heated seats, and a few other things-- take it or leave it.

Supposedly you can custom order one from the factory with whatever options you want, but I would be interested to know if anyone has done that and what the experience was.
  • Options
    marylousantomarylousanto Member Posts: 1
    truckeegal,

I think you did good with your purchase. Can you mention the broker you used. I will be buying a HL this month and need suggestions. Thanks.

Marylousanto
  • Options
    dolla2000dolla2000 Member Posts: 9
    That's a great story. How much did the broker charge you? That may be our next route when the time comes.

I actually went the CPO route and paid $5000 below what the dealer wanted for a 2003 Highlander 4x4 Limited w/ 23,000 miles. According to all the research I did on the car, I should have expected to pay about $29,000 for this car in my area (NYC region). I paid $24,500.
  • Options
    stookstook Member Posts: 1
    Sent out an e-mail to 12 dealers in the SF Bay/Sacramento area requesting a quote on an 05 Highlander FE,TO,LF,HE,AG,JY,CF. About 5 quotes rolled in ranging from $25197 - $25757 (MSRP $28399). Went to my local dealer, Lithia, and asked them if they would match it for a sale today. They agreed but bitched that they were "taking a loss". Yeah, right, along with the tooth fairy. Bottom line $24157 including $1000 rebate. Another $225 DMV and $1860 for the "Gonvernator", Ahhnold. All in all I am VERY pleased with the deal I got and of course my wife is pleased with her new ride. Let's face it guys isn't that the bottom line?
  • Options
    colonelcolonel Member Posts: 4
    I did a special order because I only wanted the options I needed.

I traded a 2004 Honda Accord for $17,000 at 1,900 miles. I bought the Accord for $17,500 six months before the trade-in. This is another very good deal because it cost me only $500 for using 1,900 miles for the vehicle for six months.

I have been using my Highlander now for a month and a half since I bought it and I am very satisfied. It is really worth the price I was paying for.
  • Options
    I Went through the Truckee Auto Mall, in Truckee California
  • Options
    Broker charged us $0. That's right $0. His fee came out of the dealership.
  • Options
    rpi67rpi67 Member Posts: 3
    Are base V6 2wd Highlanders with side airbag option only available or do they have to special ordered? If special ordered are the prices much higher?
  • Options
    jdavidsonjdavidson Member Posts: 25
    seems like a good deal for a lease? Right on their web site.

Model 6928. Options FE, AG, MG, EH, RL.

thoughts?
  • Options
    commcarecommcare Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 4x4 2005 highlander loaded with sunroof and privacy glass auto everything and 4cyl for 23300.
  • Options
    commcarecommcare Member Posts: 2
    I just bought a 2005 4x4 highlander loaded with auto everything. Sunroof, highgloss alloy wheels, keyless entry, color keyed everything. All for 23300 with the MSRP at 28254 now that is a good deal. Also got the Platinum warranty and Resist all coverage for 1135. Now thats a good deal.
  • Options
    mrkarlmrkarl Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to purchase a HL and finding the steering is very loose on the car. I currently lease the Lexus RX300 and the dealer is telling me the steering is the same on both. Can someone tell me if the demo HL I drove at the dealership just had poor steering or the car has a loose feel to it? While at the dealership I drove the 4 Runner and that has very tight steering something.
  • Options
    jscuoijscuoi Member Posts: 1
    Hi Everyone,

I'm new here and I need help. I'm planning to get a Toyota Highlander Limited V6 4X2 of 2005 and I want to know what is the best price that I should look for. Any tips on negotiating or what I need to do or where should I go to get the best deals to save me $$$$ please let me know. Anything will help. I'm not very good in buying vehicles. Thanks a lot!!!
  • Options
    esprikitikesprikitik Member Posts: 6
    Hi,

Can you give breakdown? tax, tags, etc.

will also make my email available, if you could

send dealer contact info.

Thanks
  • Options
    dawneedawnee Member Posts: 59
    I am confused commcare, did you get 4X4 & 4-cylinder motor?? I didn't know there was such a model. Thought you had to get 6 cylinder with 4wd.

And I am very interested where dealership is, sounds like they are willing to deal.

Was $23,300 selling price or finance price?
  • Options
    Does anyone know if there are any rebates for the 2004 HL's? When I click on this section on Toyota website, I get nothing and think it is due to our firewall/pop-up blocker.

This site no longer has any 2004 new HL info.

Also should we expect a really good price on new 2004 sitting on lot?? They have it marked about $2300 below MSRP and if I am correct and there is still $2,000 rebate, we should get more than $300 add'l off.

Thanks
  • Options
    blnbln Member Posts: 1
    Hello there,

You definitely got a great deal. What was your strategy? I would like to emulate your experience.

Thanks in advance,

BLN
  • Options
    I am looking at a 2005 HL Ltd 4x2, white. It has TO,VV and list for $31,784 and with my research I feel that $29,077 is fair price, not including rebate, so with rebate $28,077 plus tax, tags, fees. I have calculated the payments here on Edmunds and they are in my budget because their calculators project the fees for tags, tax, etc. So it gives a truer bottom line price. I also have a trade-in but I feel it is better to make the deal on the 05 and then haggle the trade in separate.

Does this sound too ridiculous? It is basically $2,707 off sticker before rebate.

I am in the Southeast area of the country.