Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and Earlier - Toyota Highlander Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    talen316talen316 Member Posts: 32
    If you go out of state to purchase a car, I believe you pay the sales tax for the state in which the vehicle will be registered, so in your case, you would still be paying VA sales tax.

Have you looked at Miller Toyota in Manassas? I have a family member who lives in that area and purchased from them about a year ago... was pleased with their pricing and really liked the way they conduct business. Perhaps they can cut a comparable deal to what you would get if you went to NC to buy?
  • Options
    wvgasguywvgasguy Member Posts: 1,405
    I assume the $37.5k was before TTL

Yes, I never include that in discussions because many states (like mine) only charge taxes on the trade difference and to compare OTD prices from state to state is meaningless.

Could you tell me what they added as "standard" on the base '09 models versus the base '08 models?

I've driven a Camry Hybrid for the last two years and have not studied the HH until last week when I decided to trade. I'm not sure what the 08's have. However I was surprised to find on the HH a "EV" button. Also, wheil the TCH has an ECO button to save consumption, it is not like the ECON button on the HH. The ECO simply helped with the A/C running off the battery while the ECON button on the HH assists with FE in controlling the throttle response (as I understand it_I'm still reading the manual).
    I'm not sure if the 08's had it but the 09 has the keyless ignition like the TCH. I never thought I'd care if I had that or not until I used it for the TCH. It's a nice feature.

You won't go wrong with a TCH. I simply needed a more versitile (read 4wd) vehicle for my wife. I averaged over 38 mpg until my wife started commuting every day. I'll probably have another one next fall when I plan to add an extra vehicle to my fleet.

One thing for new buyers, and it may not be a concern to many of you. Only one time did I decide to purchase an end of the year model. I've never kept vehicles long, but if you are concerned with dereciation and finance your cars, it's realy easy to be upside down on your loan even if you get a large discount.

believe it or not, I actually tried to trade for an 08 Cadillac STS before I got the HH. It was an 08 that had a MSRP of $47,000 and GM was selling it for $37,000 NEW. I thought that was good until I looked at KBB and saw that the trade-in value of it was already down to $27,000. Ugggh.

I then looked at the 08 HH. While not as bad, it was significantly lower than the purchase price. That's an immediate depreciation where as buying a new 09 gives you a year to make payments before the value drops drastically. Hopefully with a discount, if you finance you can stay even. If you keep your cars a long time, it really doesn't matter much, but if the extra discount is not as much as the normal difference in the listings of the difference in an 07 and 08 then you may want to consider going ahead with the 2009 model. Takes a little bit of research and knowing what you want.

Additionally, while I'm considered more "cheap" than "green" I simply couldn't justify purchasing a hybrid model on gas savings when no tax credit is available. It doesn't pay out and at best for a long term owner may be a wash. However I was having a hard time bringing myself (after the 38 mpg in the TCH) to purchase a vehicle that was getting less than 20 mpg (that's a big change for me_I used to drive hot rods!). The final "push" I needed to go with the HH over a Highlander Limited was looking at the depreciation. The gas only versions were dropping like a rock (and like most all SUV's) and the Hybrid version keeps a bigger % of it's value longer. That combined with the gas savings I believe made it a no-brainer for me.

I looked at used prices for 1 year old vehicles on eBay and compared prices to KBB to verify this and I couldn't bring myself to buying the 08 or the non-hybrid version.

My "base" version was $41,679 as it had the popular plus package as well as the tow hitch, 3rd row seat, the auto rear air and dual zone for the front. I really wanted leather but did not want the NAV, DVD, and moonroof and in this part of the country that is the only way the HH Limited come in. I'm quiet satisfied with the options (other than I would also liked to have the rear view mirror that you don't have to flip).

My wife started babysitting for our grandchild and needs to drive 40 miles each day in all types of weather. Additionally we now carry a car seat and a baby seat as well as the stroller and lots of stuff. The camry was roomy but the HH just made more sense in this point of our life. We have an 08 Expedition (14mpg ugggh again) and we didn't want to drive it all the time. It's great for trips. I'm hopeful if we think the HH is big enough that we may get rid of the Expedition next fall (it's a lease) and get either another HH (limited) or possible a TCH.

I certainly like the comfort of the HH. It seems a lot quieter than the TCH but tires have something to do with that I realize.

I probably would not have traded except for the fact that I simply hated the light gray interior of the TCH. When I bought it I had to take the first one inorder to get it in time for our State Tax Credit before it expired that month. I had wanted brown interior and I like the touch of the wood grain in the HH. BTY, with the State and Fed tax credits my $30,000 (with a small discount) loaded TCH only cost me $23,650. :D
  • Options
    If you go out of state to purchase a car, I believe you pay the sales tax for the state in which the vehicle will be registered,

True.
  • Options
    I specifically did not want the NAV in my HH. I had it in the TCH and fell in love with the Energy Screens but found the NAV part to be complicated to use and out of date. It did have some features that the smaller Garmin's do not have and the large screen was nice (and no wires hanging around). If you are familiar with the smaller garmins, then I would recommend you to sit down in a Toyota and play with their system before deciding if it's worth $1000 to you. I found several errors in the maping in the areas I drove with the Toyota system.

As for the Hybrid owners, it's a lot of information, especially if you're really into "hyper miling" (do you HH people do that?) However I'm probably going to discover that hypermiling to get 28 mpg instead of 26 mpg is not near as much fun as I had in the TCH when I could go the interstate and get 37 mpg or go the back roads to the same destination and get 57 mpg. It was always a challenge and kept me amused for a couple of year. Made me miss the sound of the awesome Infiniti FX45 that I traded on it a lot less than I thought it would.
  • Options
    dj_davedj_dave Member Posts: 16
    I'm on the fence about the NAV system as well. I've read up on all the problems with it, but I'm wondering if there's also a benefit to having a larger screen for the backup camera and bluetooth which I understand display on the NAV screen if you have it. (For that matter, does the radio / MP3 information also display on the NAV screen if you have it?)

Any thoughts on there on the usefulness of the larger screen for the non-NAV functions?
  • Options
    armjamilarmjamil Member Posts: 6
    I own a Lexus IS350 with NAV. The NAV system on toyotas is exact same as in Lexus. The maps are upto date till early 2006. So anything constructed after that will not show up in the NAV. But I personally think this is the one of the best in the market after Acura's. The backup camera is hands down the best and works great even in low light conditions with very minimal noise (picture noise).
    The Mp3 information only shows on the Nav screen when changing the track or CD otherwise you have to get to the Audio screen to get that information.
    Let me know if you need any more information
  • Options
    mj_supermanmj_superman Member Posts: 6
    $27,516 +++ (not taking 0% financing)

08 Sport FWD
    Auto A/C
    Auto Rear A/C
    Carpet Floor and Cargo Mats
    Homelink
    Leather with Heated Seats
    Power Moonroof
    Power Rear Door
    Tow Prep
    Anti-Theft
    Navigation

Good deal? How good? It seems really good to me but I am looking for others' opinions. Thanks.
  • Options
    I'll chime in again with the same opinion I offered last time that this looks like an excellent price to me. If you backed out the Navi I'd say you're right where you should expect to be on price, but when you include that in that $27.5k price, it looks like a REALLY good deal to me.

Does it have the upgraded 9 spkr JBL radio? Is this is a less popular color or have more than a few hundred miles on it?

I was around the same price as you before TTL for my Sport AWD with essentially the same factory options less Leather and Navi.
  • Options
    Thanks for the feedback. The Navigation does come with the upgraded 9 speaker system. I have to confirm the mileage but I suspect it should have a couple miles at most. I was told that I could have this price on any color except that Blizzard would be a couple hundred more.
  • Options
    cfunncfunn Member Posts: 7
    I just sent a take it or leave it offer on the following 08 Limited. Vehicle is 2008 Limited, Peral White, Ash Leather. Add ons are 6 disc JBL system, Blue tooth, Heated front seats, Power rear door, Rear Air, Window tint, XM installed, Carpet Mat set, Wheel locks
    I offered $32,000.00 out the door,
    no financing,using the $2000 rebate
    We will see
    Craig
  • Options
    Yeah, dumb question on my part... Should have realized the upgraded stereo was inherent to the Navi pkg. I didn't consider Navi so it didn't occur to me initially.

Blizzard Pearl is supposed to have about a sticker premium of $200.

Assume that the $5k rebate basically compensates the consumer for depreciation associated with purchasing a model year end Highlander (even though the 09 model doesn't seem to have any appreciable differences... part of what makes the deals on the '08 especially attractive IMO).

On that assumption, the $5k rebate would equate to purchasing the vehicle at "invoice" adjusted for depreciation. The price you're getting quoted appears to factor in the $5k rebate + perhaps another $1500 give or take. So think of it as getting $6k - $6500 below the adjusted invoice or $1k to $1500 below invoice if you were buying an '09.

FWIW, I was unable to find any dealer in my area that was willing to go $5k below the original invoice on the 08. So, to me, I felt like I was getting the vehicle at invoice which is usually considered pretty decent for a popular make/model.

I'd be surprised if you'll find much better and I don't know what area you're in, but some of the '08's may start to get picked over depending on the trim and option pkgs you're looking for so if you're ready to buy, for the sake of sounding redundant, I think you have a great deal on the table.
  • Options
    thl08thl08 Member Posts: 6
    2008 H L 2wd with same options minus mats and wheel locks - "what others are paying" on Edmunds' site is now $29,724. minus 5k for SE states = 24,724. add 7% GA tax = 26,455. add title/tags = under $27k out-the-door, final drive out price.

If this is for real, we're all paying too much!
  • Options
    iwantvaniwantvan Member Posts: 9
    31,950 + tax, tag

08 Limited AWD - Silver/Ash

Navigation
    Auto Rear A/C
    Carpet Floor and Cargo Mats
    Heated Seats
    Cross Bars
    Real Spoiler
    Power Moonroof
    Power Rear Door
    Tow Prep

Does this seem like a good price. This is in NC w/ the 5000 rebate. This region has a 945 advertising fee. Is this a real fee? My region doesn't have this. Thanks.
  • Options
    08 Limited FWD
    Navigation
    Heated Seats
    Power Rear Door
    Auto Rear A/C
    Moonroof
    Spoiler
    Tow Prep
    Floor Mats

$29,467.99 +++

The quote I had on the Sport before was on a config that I couldn't get... talen316 is/was right, if you have a good deal, take it to get the color combo and options that you want. Once the prices got close enough between the Sport and Limited, I felt drawn to the look of the "wood" and the smart key so I had to go Limited.
  • Options
    what dealership are you working with?
  • Options
    jmg_50jmg_50 Member Posts: 2
    Craig,

Hi! Any response on your offer?

Which part of the country was this offer made? Does your OTD price include Tax, Title? Also, are you excluding trade in price?
  • Options
    I think the Edmunds pricing info may be a little confusing. I believe it is already factoring in the previous $3k rebate. Price it out on the CarsDirect site which accounts for the $5k rebate in the SE and I think you'll see what I mean.

For the trim/options that cfunn listed, I believe you'd be at a price of ~ $28,500 (factoring in the $5k rebate) + tax, tags & doc fees. In NC, that would put you OTD ~ $30k.
  • Options
    mhagemanmhageman Member Posts: 8
    I have recently looked at a limited toyota highlander with 25,000 miles, pretty loaded. The MSRP was 30,991 dollars. I recently had a roll over in my 4 runner and it is totalled. Not settled with the insurance co., People who hit me driving without license or insurance. Need to buy fast, as I am renting a vehicle.
    What should I offer for this highlander. I mean it is certified, but it would be under manufacture warranty up until 36,000 miles . Anybody have any ideas how to negotiate this. Ideally, I would like to offer 26,000. Is that way too low? Apprecitate any tips.
  • Options
    That price looks to be ~ $5k below invoice, so I'd say you're prob right about where you would expect to be. Perhaps you can squeeze a few more bucks out of the dealer, but I think you're getting a fair shake at that price.

Not sure what that $945 fee is all about. I don't recall seeing that charge when I bought mine, but perhaps it was buried somewhere else in the overall cost???
  • Options
    I got the following responce
    $33,000.00 OTD this is all taxes and no trade in MSRP on this one is $36959.00.
    I am in the Houston Texas area. I will go for this due to the fact that the Blizzard Pearl cars are starting to go away. The only thing not on the car is Navigation and DVD. We don't want them so that is ok.
    Craig
  • Options
    nasdaqnasdaq Member Posts: 29
    In local newspaper, $25,555 +++ after $2000 rebate.
    MSRP = $31,509
    Is this a deal? Thanks!
  • Options
    They've come down another $200 to $31,750 so I think I"m going to go for it. I will be traveling 3 hrs to the dealership. Is there a name of a document/contract I can ask them to fax to me prior? I don't want to drive 3 hours and find out the cost went up or they've added things in. Thanks!
  • Options
    Are any of you getting discounts? I was surprised to get the one I got after doing a lot more looking and seeing that Toyota still has a lot of 2008's on the lot and is not rebating the Hybrids. Fitzmall has discounts listed on the 09's and my dealer was willing to deal similarly with me. I couldn't see getting an 08 when the discoun t was the same on the 09.
  • Options
    Toyota of Tampa Bay
  • Options
    wendyswendys Member Posts: 9
    Thanks so much for the tip on sunroof wind control. I will give it a try if I end up with a HL. :)
  • Options
    Just put a bid on a limited highlander 2008 limited with 25,000 miles. It had been a rental. Dealership asking 30,999, gave a bid of 26,000. They countered with 28,2000. Any suggestions at this point what would be my next move. It does have a lot of miles for a 1 year old car.
  • Options
    night_rangernight_ranger Member Posts: 10
    Just sit tight. Dealers are hurting bad. Don't go up in price. Instead concentrate on finding another similar car...:) it will help you stay focused and not call this dealer. They will accept your initial offer. I would be surprised if they don't in this market.
  • Options
    Thanks, I needed that advice today. I really do hate playing this game. Had the one dealer I was working with ( He called me first) , and they did the switch and bait. Another dealer called and said he could help me as the dealer I had been working with was busy. And all of this back and forth. So, your comment was very encouraging! .
  • Options
    I forgot to mention the dealer who called me to do all of the negotiation,( this was all done on the phone )as I had driven and seen the vehicle the night before.He said that he would give this vehicle to me for 27,200 minus the certification. I said no, I will buy it at that price and it needs to be under certification. I am already pre-approved to buy from my bank. All I need to do is write the check. Should I have accepted their offer, and not be concerned about the car being certified.?
  • Options
    curlyman72curlyman72 Member Posts: 2
    I got a quote today for a 2008 highlander sport 4wd with leather, dvd navigation and rear dvd entertainment package. Basically a loaded sport.

The dealer asking is basically the dealer invoice price of $35,869.

Dealer seemed open to further discounts but how low should I go?

What's a fair ammount to be asking if they are already at invoice? would it be advisable to ask for 36 out the door (as in no tax)?

Thanks for any help! I could be making a decision today or tomorrow.
  • Options
    schristogmuschristogmu Member Posts: 4
    Anyone have any tips for how to take advantage of the $5,000 rebate currently offered in the Southeast Region?

I live in No VA, and would be willing to travel to NC if I can get an 08 Sport for invoice less 5k.
  • Options
    On the 08 with 25,000 miles, look up the kbb private party price. Anything you pay over that is probably too much. I'd hate to buy a 08 with that many miles but especially if it was a rental with a hundred different drivers who drove it knowing they were not going to own it.

The other person wanting an 08 at invoice? There are deals out there on 09's already. Your 08 won't be a bargan unless you get soe serious discounting.
  • Options
    You could just do a dealer search for dealerships that would be the shortest drive from your location. Go to their websites to get the contact info for their internet sales manager, see what inventory they have on the lot or what they can locate and cost effectively transfer in, etc. Send an email to their internet mgr and tell him/her what you're looking for and your price. If you're in VA, you may want to target the Raleigh area. There are a few dealers in the Charlotte, NC area that I could recommend to you, but that will prob be ~ 6hr ride...
  • Options
    I'd see if they can write up the Bill of Sale and have them fax it to you in advance.
  • Options
    richmonderrichmonder Member Posts: 15
    I am in Richmond, VA and need a Highlander. I want limited but may get a Sport I like the "wood" look of the limited but like the camera on the Sport. I think the Nav is a rip off. I had a pretty decent price in Richmond but then the $5000 rebate for the SE came out. Has anyone gotten any good deals in NC? I read before that jimbarkleytoyota in Asheville has no hassle prices that are pretty decent but that's 6 hours away.

Has anyone heard of Toyota meeting the marketing support for a sale in another area if the manufacturer is pushed?
  • Options
    We wrote the check Fiday night for the 08 Highlander Limited Blizzaed Pearl.
    Loaded minus Navi, Minus DVD. OTD was $33000.00 untill I added the 7 year 70,000 mile bumper to bumper at $1400.00, so OTD was $34400.
  • Options
    ottilieottilie Member Posts: 5
    As I recall, there was a 1500 rebate at the time. I'm sure you could do better now!
  • Options
    talen316 - thanks for lending your experienced insight and response. I was into Day 6 of having negotiated with about 7 GA (where I live) and 1 NC dealerships for an 08 Limited 2wd. Finally got a deal I liked, bought and tooked the SUV the next day:

2008 Highlander Limited 2wd, color/magnetic gray metallic, odometer 15 miles
    JBL premium audio and blue tooth
    auto rear HVAC
    heated seats
    power back door
    towing prep package
    rear spoiler
    carpet mats
    (SE-required SET additional destination charge $45 and set admin fee $925 for SE dealerships buried into the price somewhere, somehow)
    GA 7% tax, title/registration
    Total out-the-door, drive out price = $29,300

I can't separate the price before TTL at the end because during negotiations I kept asking what the OTD final price would be, after they'd give me the sale price. And it's a blur of a memory for me. I worked with 2 internet sales mgrs then worked with only the sales mgr at the dealerships because it was less talk and more bottom line (end result) dealing. They must discern that you're the serious, ready-to-buy and get-it-done customer. Then they're willing/ready to rock n roll. Pretty much most of them were quite professional and courteous.

Other comments: If color is important, you better get busy and work it. My wife's choice of that gray is now scarce. In your best interest to have your bank payment received by the dealership before you sign off and drive off.

Many thanks to this forum and Edmund's as a key piece of required research in the buying process!
  • Options
    thl08 - Congrats on your new Ltd!

Glad that the some of the feedback shared from my recent buying experience could be of some benefit to you...

Based on the pricing info generally available to us the consumer, it def appears that you negotiated an excellent deal for yourself. With the options you listed, approx invoice cost less $5k rebate would have put you in the neighborhood of $28,100 before tax, tag and doc fees... Looks like you were closer to $6k below invoice before TTL.

Congrats and enjoy!
  • Options
    Really depends what options (if any) are on the vehicle.

If bare bones, with no additional factory or dealer options, I'd have a target starting price of ~ $24,700 + TTL and go from there...

If it has some of the popular factory options such as sunroof, front dual zone air, rear auto air, upgraded stereo, towing prep pkg, etc., then it could be a great deal.

I'm always a little leary of those special ad prices. Seems like a gimmick to me in order to get you in the door. Then they tell you that vehicle is already sold, but they have these other ones in stock equipped with the typical options you would normally want for x amount more. Or they could tell you that is just the starting price before options... Or it could be a really fugly interior/exterior color combo that they have had on the lot forever and can not get rid of... Not saying any of these scenarios are true in this particular case, but that would be my initial reaction.

Give 'em a call and get more details on the vehicle.
  • Options
    By the way, 2 other dealerships insisted they would even outdo the one I went with. The key was color. Other 2 didn't have that gray available.

However, most of the dealerships had a lot of inventory to move through the end of the year. These combined factors helped out.

Honestly, though . . . I stressed thru much of the process. All the negotiating wore me out! But the Lord pulled me through.

Again, thanks talen316 and to others on this forum!

Everytime I drive this Highlander I continue to appreciate its higher quality over its competition. And glad I didn't get a Pilot instead like I almost did earlier this year.
  • Options
    thl08 - you got a great price. Can you please tell me the dealership and person you got it from. Also tell me the NC dealer and if they were close.

Thanks
  • Options
    Richmonder -

Scott Clark's Toyota is a dealer I would recommend in the Charlotte area. They have arguably the largest dealer inventory in the area and will get aggressive on pricing. Don't know if you're looking for FWD or AWD. They have a few AWD LTD's left in inventory. You can go to their website to see what they have on the lot. They have one left in white with ash leather. At $5k below invoice, you'd prob be looking at ~$29.5k + TTL and maybe even better... who knows.

I bought a 4Runner back in 2000 from Rice Toyota in Greensboro. They may be worth talking to and not quite as far a drive as Asheville or Charlotte would be.

From what I can tell, it looks like there is still of a fair supply of '08 FWD Sport and LTD models in the SE, but it seems as if the AWD's are becoming more and more scarce in the region.

With all dealers you can
  • Options
    Yikes. One thing I overlooked in my decision to buy a HL Sport was the cost of replacing those tires. From what I can tell, there are only 3 tires available on the market and they all are around $200/ea.

We'll be putting a lot of miles on this vehicle over the next 5 years so we'll be replacing tires prob more frequently than most.

Hoping that there will be more and less costly tire options available in the not too distant future. Almost making me wish I went with the base model in a way...

Ouch.
  • Options
    selooseloo Member Posts: 606
    Last Sunday, I saw an ad for a new Highlander Sport for $8K off MSRP in the Augusta, GA newspaper.

Has anyone seen a better deal?
  • Options
    dj_davedj_dave Member Posts: 16
    So, I'm looking at getting a 4WD HL Limited, but not in any rush -- basically need it before spring 2009. Should I aim at getting one of the 2008s now (or in December if the incentives are even better) or wait until the sping to get a 2009 (hoping that there will be some discounts on them by then. If we get a 2008 now we'll be making some sacrifices on color choice or options (it looks like everyone is out of our preferred color -- magnetic gray -- in 4WD with the options we want), but I'm willing to do that if I can get a really good deal. Would I be risking too much to wait into Spring -- how likely is it that the 2009s will be coming down in price by then, and if so, would they come down to where the 2008s are now? Thoughts out there?
  • Options
    Without knowing more details, $8k off MSRP sounds like it would be $5k+ below invoice which seems to be a pretty good deal at this time. Might want to check with thl08 to see where he/she purchased their Highlander from as he/she appears to have gotten a great deal.
  • Options
    You're guess is as good as mine re: what kind of deals will be had in '09. Generally, the Sep-Dec timeframe is considered a great time to buy a vehicle if you're looking for a deal on a year end model. I wasn't in a hurry to purchase a vehicle in 08, but I felt like the deals out there were enticing enough to take the plunge, but I was able to find the color and most of the factory options I was interested in in an 08.

Not sure what kind of deals will be had in the Spring of '09 or later in the year and if there will be better deals to be had in '09 then in '08. Too many unknown variables at play and hard to tell when and what incentives Toyota and/or dealerships may start throwing out there... You may have to play a similar waiting game in '09 and look to purchase sometime in last quarter as 2010 models start to come out.

Good luck.
  • Options
    dealership is Cobb County Toyota in Kennesaw, GA. Worked deal with George Rollins, Finance Manager and/or Sales Manager.

1st got the ball rolling w/Jim Barkley T in Asheville, NC, where you will get a good deal.

Then got matched deal here in Atlanta where I'm at from Sales Mgr (don't remember name) at Jim Reilly T/Union City, GA on a new classic silver metallic.

Then got a slight better deal for a new, single-digit miles on odometer on my 2nd preference color, that cypress pearl from Stone Mountain T here.

McDonough (GA) T and Cherokee County (GA) T sales mgrs claimed that they will out-do my final accepted deal at Cobb County, but neither had our 1st preference gray color.

Also dealt w/3 other dealerships here who're not worth mentioning - dealing from MSRP.

Sorry I don't have phone numbers or all the names as I had trashed a ton of papers gathered and used during my research/hunting/buying process.

90% of negotiating I did by phone.

Hope this helps somebody.
  • Options
    Thanks thl and talen.

I'm near a deal but since I was away for Thanksgiving I haven't landed anything. I think I should be getting a blizzard pearl limited awd with sunroof, mats, upgraded stereo, and all the normal stuff for $29, 500 +++ from the Raleigh area. I will try for next weekend or sooner.

thl, I talked with George Rollins and he said that his dealership only sells to GA and states contiguous with GA. Not sure why but Raleigh works better for me anyway.