Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Kia Sedona problems

Comments

• pugnelpugnel Member Posts: 7
    Please forgive me if this is in the wrong spot, I'm new to the forum.

We went to the car lot on Saturday after doing alot of research on-line and test drove the new Kia Sedona and just loved it! It was the smoothest, quietest ride I have ever taken! Well we decided to go ahead and make the purchase, especially since baby #3 is due in 3 months and we've been researching mini-vans for 8 months now. Anyway, well they didn't have the colors (exterior or interior) that we wanted so they did a dealer search and found one near by and said we could pick it up on monday and let us drive home the brand new one that we test drove for the weekend! Well on Monday evening after my husband gets home from the office we go and pick up the van and he drives it home and says he thought it drove the same as the other one, I thought that the passengers seat didn't ride that smoothly, but thought it could've been the bad wind and the road. Well I wake up tuesday morning and drive my oldest son to school and it just drove awful! It has a very sluggish gear change, where you can acutally "feel" it change gears and the ride isn't smooth at all! I'm very disappointed in this new car, my question is, is this normal to have such a difference in the same car? I guess that is a silly question since they are totally seperate machines, also is there anything we can do about it? I'm sure the dealership will say oh that's normal. My dh is away at a business meeting and won't be back home till late tonight. (SIGH)
    thank you in advance!
    Vicky
  • razzle67razzle67 Member Posts: 2
    Ok will do thanks so much! :)
  • 97xpresso97xpresso Member Posts: 249
    I'm curious, is this a 2005 or a 2006 Sedona?
  • kiasickkiasick Member Posts: 6
    Anyone out there thinking of buying a Kia - DON'T DO IT! Anyone out there got a Kia - GET RID OF IT FAST! We purchased a Kia in 2002, and it is about to get it's THIRD engine installed, and Kia DON'T WANT TO KNOW. The first engine seized after 79,000 miles, the second engine only lasted 42,500 miles. The body work is a complete disaster, in other words - CHEAP CRAP. It goes through tyres every 6,000 miles! Garage says 'it's because it's a heavy vehicle' We have ordered a new Mercedes People Carrier. We've learned our lesson the hard way - Buy cheap and you buy dear!
    You better get this Kia in fast to your dealership, the noises that are coming from the front end are the very same noises when my Kia's first engine seized. BELIEVE ME THIS IS NOT NORMAL. The reason my first engine seized was apparently water in the fuel tank??? caused the tank to corode, shot shards of metal into the engine making it seize. This could be your problem. Good Luck - You'll need it.
    Read my reply to Seeley5060, sounds like you have a potential engine seizure!
  • spectramanspectraman Member Posts: 255
    Kiasick:

I think Seeley's and Martib's vans are already in Sedona heaven if your prognosis is/was true.

Their posts are from nearly 2 years ago. April and May 2004.

Also... I'm not denying that your van experienced the problem you describe. But it's also well known that the Sedona DOES have a front strut design flaw that has shown up on countless vans. It's been documented that KIA replaces some parts (possibly the struts and mounts), but the problem returns in the future.

Strut noise vs. engine problem noises are usually pretty distinctive.

-SM
    Is it worth taking this up with Kia? So far they have only offered as a 'goodwill gesture' 20% of the cost of a new engine!
  • boxwrenchboxwrench Member Posts: 55
    Spectraman,

I read somewhere in the past on this forum that after 2 times of replacing the front struts, the dealer(?) went to aftermarket struts (Monroe?) to eliminate the problem.
    Last week I had my '04 Sedona EX in for a free Oil change, and investigating a Thump/Bonk when going over a slight bump/depression in the road. It is most noticable when turning off the road into a driveway that has a slight drainage depression at the edge of the road.
    I explained this as best I could to the svc manager, and after picking up the van, it is better, but I think it is still present.
    They said they added some larger washers to the strut attachment point at the tower, but I think the struts are defective. It's in the initial movement the strut makes when it happens, other than that it does fine, and passes the Jounce test. How many times after taking it to the dealer for svc do you suppose you should contact Kia? It's been doing it for at least 3-4 months, and the dealer said it came under the 5 yr/50k warranty. The van now has 20k -- way too soon for this problem to happen. Heck, my '88 GC has 197k and doesn't do it yet!!
    This is the first problem that we have had with our van,outside of recalls, and I hope it can be fixed. Do you know of a service bullitin about this problem?

Thanks
    Boxwrench
  • kiadriver2kiadriver2 Member Posts: 2
    I've begun to hear and feel a loud knocking noise under my feet when I'm driving. I have an appointment to have it checked out at the Kia dealership on Monday. Has anyone had this problem? Also, brakes are squeaking and need work at 50,000 miles - is this normal for the Kia? I have a 2003 Sedona we bought used from Carmax about 6 months ago. It has been a good car up until now. Any info would be great! Thanks!
    Get rid of it! It goes through brake pads and tyres like socks.
  • likellehlikelleh Member Posts: 35
    KiaDriver, If you are just starting to have break problems at 50 thousand miles, which just might mean new pads and nothing more...your doing a lot better than most of us! :) Keep us posted!
  • marriedmanmarriedman Member Posts: 16
    Hello all, I haven't posted here in awhile but have been trying to keep up. I'm yet again experiencing difficulties with my Kia that I hope to find some resolution. Recently the van will shut off while sitting at a stop light. It will start back up immediately with no trouble. In my trouble shooting I have changed gas brands, ensure the air filter is clean, etc. I recently had the spark plugs and fuel filter changed at dealer.

I to have had difficulties with this van within one year of ownership; but I never have had a problem with the warranty or towing through KIA.
    I see that brakes have come up again in many topics. I also had warped rotors at 15,000 miles but after changing rotors I haven't had problem since. I just changed the pads which isn't bad for a set of pads to last 50,000 miles given the weight of the van.

Any advise is greatly appreciated.
    -Michael
  • olijaolija Member Posts: 2
    Hi

Yesterday had a weird experience with our 2003 Sedona with 39,000 miles. While looking for a parking spot and moving at about 5mph, the car began beeping. I looked at the instrument panel and was surprised to see that the ABS light, the parking brake light, and the airbag light had all come on.

The car was parked for about two hours. Once we were driving again, everything was fine for about 1/4 mile before the same 3 indicators came on again and the beeping resumed. After 15 miles of interstate driving and continuous beeping, we returned to normal stop-n-go driving. At every light, when I would brake, the beeping and the parking brake and ABS lights would go out once our speed dropped to 5mph and lower. After the traffic light had changed and we reached a speed of 10mph, everything started up again. This on and off pattern continued for the next seven traffic lights.

Before, finally, reaching home, we made one additional stop where the car was allowed to sit for 15 minutes. Following that stop, the car performed perfectly.

I dropped by a dealer this morning with it - it performed perfectly on the way over and back. The service man had not run into this problem previously. Have service appointment Thursday morning.

Has anybody heard this one before? We are currently a thousand miles away from home on vacation. Will have to limp it home this weekend.

At no point, yesterday or today, did I notice any change in performance - acceleration, braking, trans shifting, coolant temp.

Any suggestions?
  • vj1971vj1971 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2003 Sedona EX, with low miles ~24,000.
    The other night I went to start the van and noticed a noise that sounded like one of the belts was squeaking.
    After I arrived home, I put the van in park and began to rev the engine to see if the noise would dissipate. Upon revving the engine, the engine wouldn't rev above 4,000 rpms. The engine began to sputter. I started the engine this morning, before I left for work, and the same occurrence resulted, however when I turned the engine off the engine appeared to rock or sputter.
    It appears that one of the belts is slipping.
    Has any other Sedona owner experienced this problem?
    I have an appt. to take the van to the dealership.
    Thank you for your consideration and comments.
    vj1971
  • kiadriver2kiadriver2 Member Posts: 2
    The problem I wrote about last week was with the brakes - front pads needed replacement at 50,000. Car running fine now, hoping to keep it that way for a while! Thanks for the feedback.
  • ldemkovichldemkovich Member Posts: 1
    Where can I find information on the struts design flaw? Thanks,
    LD
  • user777user777 Member Posts: 3,341
    research and see if your vehicle has an idle learn procedure. did you recently have the battery disconnected and/or replaced?
  • olijaolija Member Posts: 2
    Hi

Took the car into Crown Kia in St. Pete. Their testing indicated that the alternator was failing and causing the problems. They replaced the alternator - total cost for parts and labor - $380 - all covered by warranty.

Everything seems fine so far. I was quite pleased with friendly service and the speed with which they got it done.
    Thanks for the reply User777.
    Looking back through my service records I had the battery replaced 6-16-04 due to code 02T30S8G75C being set. The alternator was replaced 4/1/05 due to the battery warning light coming on. To answer your question, I haven't had the battery disconnected since it was installed.
    I did notice after fueling the van the rpm would go from zero to 3K for about four minutes, but wouldn't stall. After installing a new fuel filter the gas gauge will show full tank of gas. Before it would cut off while pumping fuel and only be 3/4 tank. A few times I have put in fuel treatment and injector cleaner, cut off the overdrive and hit the highway to get the engine hot engine to burn whatever was on the injector off.
    Been running regular 87 grade gas since day one.
    -Michael
  • carpartedcarparted Member Posts: 1
    I wanted to ask anyone who has experienced this thumping sound similar to the one I read spectraman explaining in his Kia. I just purchased the 2005 with a little more than 18,000 miles on it and the sound is being heard more and more often, especially on bumpy roads. I have had the dealership look at the struts they tell me they are aware of there being a strut issue with the 2004 and 2005's but Kia has not instructed them how to handle the problem yet. I guess they want me to sit around and put up with it until Kia institutes a recall or something. Does anyone out there have any avenues for me to try. I called Kia customer service number but no one there seemed to be aware of a re-call coming down the pipe like the service people at my dealership are telling me.....
  • driverandcardriverandcar Member Posts: 1
    Just bought an '04 Sedona EX with 28,000 mi. I know there is a 30k maintenance coming due. Is there anything I should be aware of to keep the warranty in good standing? How does the warranty changeover affect the new owners? I want to be sure I am doing everything correctly. Thanks in advance.
  • boxwrenchboxwrench Member Posts: 55
    See my post #1215 Is your problem like my description? I still haven't had a response from Spectraman.

Boxwrench
    BW:

I just saw your new post. Sorry 'bout not answering. I don't always pop back to certain forums right away, and when I did I missed your inquiry.

I don't work for KIA or anything, so I can't be sure if there's a service bulletin or not. However..... check this out! I just discovered that the KIATECH website is back open to the public again....for *free*!

http://www.kiatechinfo.com

You have to register with your email and a chosen password, but after that you have complete access to KIA's TSB's and service campaign info.

I looked up all the Sedona TSB's and didn't see one for the struts. But.... I suspect that the dealership mechanics are well aware of the issue, and they have access to other "dealer only" (aka: warranty) info to help them diagnosis issues.

Good luck!

-SM
  • bluedevilsbluedevils Member Posts: 2,554
    Is there a TSB for the problem with rust developing around the chrome license plate strip on the rear trunklid and around the chrome grille on the hood? I could not get www.kiatechinfo.com to open this morning and despite seeing plenty of posts about the rust problem I did not see any mention of a specific Kia memo or TSB or anything about this.

My parents' Sedona has the rust problem and they were just denied warranty coverage at the dealership. They are well under 60k miles but over 36k miles and supposedly that is why it was not covered? I don't have the full story yet but it doesn't sound right.
  • times2times2 Member Posts: 45
    I checked on that as well. My 2002 Sedona EX has rust on the left side of the rear chrome plate, and some small rust areas around the chrome grille. The rust warranty is only for 36,000 miles, unless it rusts all the way through (leaving a hole in the body), which is up to 60,000 miles. Also, remember that they didn't cover my rear-coolant lines when they rusted through because of salt used during the winter. The warranty specifically says they will not cover damage caused by salt.
    It looks like kiatechinfo.com is back up.

Unfortunately there appears to be no TSBs active for either the license plate rust or strut issues.

Again.... that doesn't mean that the dealer doesn't have access to other warranty data provided to them by KIA.

Let us know how it goes.

-SM
  • campermocampermo Member Posts: 1
    I HAVE 05 SEDONA BRAKE PROBLEM. JUST OVER 1 YEAR OLD AND IT IS IN FOR THE FOURTH TIME FOR WARPED ROTORS. THIS TIME THEY ARE TELLING ME IT IS THE WAY I DRIVE. VERY UPSET. THEY SAID IT WOULD NOT BE COVERED. WE CALLED KIA HOT LINE AND ARE WAITING TO HERE FROM AREA REP. WE ALSO HAVE FRONT END PROBLEM WITH STRUTS WAITING ON THAT AS WELL. OUR AIR CONDITIONING WENT TO. THEY DID FIX THAT. THIS AND MORE ALL IN ONE YEAR. :lemon:
  • cgallamocgallamo Member Posts: 1
    I have the same problem with a noise from the front struts. The suspension is very squishy and the tires are wearing unevenly. Can anyone help me find out about the Monroe struts? I would like to replace them before I replace the tires.

Thanks!!
  • likellehlikelleh Member Posts: 35
    campermo, check out my first entry on page 60 #1167 and the rest to follow. I have had the rotors replaced twice and after trying to charge me for brake pads that was the dealer's fault for not doing the first time i was reimbursed by KIA...Good Luck.
  • arjay1arjay1 Member Posts: 172
    I hate to hear of all the problems and thought that I would report progress on a Sedona that has performed as hoped. We purchased our 2002 Sedona new, 4 years ago this summer. We have just turned over to 55,000 miles and are still on the original brakes. I just replaced the OEM tires last week with a set of Goodyears. To date we have averaged 18.44 MPG and have spent $270.24 on maintenance and $378.54 on repairs.
    Our Sedona has been great and still drives very well. We are looking for a long life from it as we keep our vehicles a long time.
    Again, I hate to hear about others problems but wanted to let people know that there is at least one Sedona that has performed as promised, at least so far.
    What type of grade motor oil are other Sedona owners using?
    I checked with the owners manual and it really doesn't state which grade to use, just has the climate specs with SPI service SD. I have been using 10w-30 convential since day one.
    I'm thinking about using a 5w-30 convential at the next oil change. Since we only avg 15 mpg, would I really see a difference in mpg with oil grade?
  • arjay1arjay1 Member Posts: 172
    I use Havoline 10w30 or 10w40 in ours. I have never seen a measurable increase in mileage due to oil. Even if you get a 5% increase, would you really notice going from 15 mpg to 15.75 mpg? Regardless of what some say, you won't see a miraculous increase from switching to a lighter weight oil. Too many things go into the total mpg of a vehicle, like weight, drag, gearing... There is no way that there is 10%, 20% or 30% more vehicle efficiency to be found by going to a bit lighter oil.
    I think the 10w30 you are using is a good all around weight based on the manual.
  • navyairnavyair Member Posts: 202
    MMan-

Make sure you check your engine warantee. I believe the manual calls for 10w30. Although they would have a hard time proving you used something else, it might be a hassle if you had engine problems. (with modern oils, the viscosity shouldn't be a problem just about anywhere).

BTW, I use Mobile 1 or SYNTEC synthetic with Bosch filter change every time. I may switch to AMSOIL now that I've found a local source...same $ per quart.
  • grumpyguycdngrumpyguycdn Member Posts: 31
    I have the same problem with my van. Let's keep in touch in case one of us finds a solution

Rob
  • kwonc71kwonc71 Member Posts: 245
    " I have a difficult with my Sedona. When I am parked at my house facing uphill it is sometimes difficult to move from Park to Reverse. Does anybody else have this problem? What is the answer?"

It might be too late to answer that question, but I have perfect solution. I have a house that has stiff up hill drive way. It can be used any hill you have to park the cars.

Follow this.

1.As you stop the van or a car on hill, put gear on "Neutral"

2.Push or pull your parking brake hard.

3.Let your brake go, and wait until car stops moving by the parking brake.

4.Press brake again, so you can shift to park.

*If car or van continue to slide after #3, you have to push or pull your parking brake harder.
    If car or van still moves, a mechanic has to adjust tension on your rear brake.

BTW, we just got 06 Sedona EX with power doors for $21,500.
  • jasiopjasiop Member Posts: 1
    Hi !
    Thank You for sharing your experience with us.Being from Chicagoland area I see potential problem with my Sedona's rear heater lines,but I also have question.
    I bought 02 used Sedona with rear heater.The heater core/coil/and the lines stay
    hot all the time as long as the engine runs.
    This contributes to very slow heat in the cabin/the lines are not well insulated/on cold winter days.This olso explaines a lot of sludge in the engine.
    My dealer says that this is normal,that there is no solenoid switch for the rear heater.
    Would You please tell me if your rear heater lines/core/ are hot even when You don't use raer heater?
    Appeciate help in this matter-sincerelly J.P.
    I believe the coolant always circulates through the lines whether you have the rear-heater turned on or not. We also have a 2002 Sedona EX. We've had the same experience with the heater. It's not particularly quick to heat up. We did notice a slight improvement after the system was power flushed. Also, I use the rear-heater to help heat up the rest of the cabin and it does help. I think they probably use a lower temperature thermostat, but I haven't had that changed yet.
  • smulveysmulvey Member Posts: 139
    On my Sedona the rear heater is "OFF" when the dashboard switch on the upper left of the two vertical switch rows in released and in the OUT position.

Also you will notice the word " HEATER" is not illuminated on the center of the rear heater blower speed knob.

When the word is dim the heat stops flowing.

I am almost certain there IS a solenoid for the rear heater, otherwise it would mean the A/C was trying to cool the hot water in the area all summer. I know that is not the case. Furthermmore, Kia uses Delphi controls in the car and Delphi ( Harrision Radiator of Lockport NY ) has a standard system where the hot water is valved OFF on an air conditioned car. I do not think Kia would have missed this. A simple solution is buy the manuals or go online to the kia site and look at the parts list , which is online and see if there is a valve for sale for the rear heat.
    transmission fluid is supposed to be changed every 15,000 miles according to details in manual. This is a drain plug equipped car so the cost is not too bad.

the fluid is special and is about $ 5 a quart.

This is ignored by most delaerships that sell cars besides Kia.
    I bought a 2002 Sedona , new , in April 2002. I have 72,000 miles on it.
    My problems have been few.
    My Alternator system was upgraded last year by the dealership under Kia's free update program to correct the too little chargin problem. I had already bought a really big battery at my own expense in 2002 when the standard system kept losing charge during stop and go driveing.

My Mileage is good. I get from 22 to 26 MPG. I carry about 300 pounds of stuff , plus I weigh 240 lbs. So I am pleased. Also I drive on snow tires most of the time.

My car runs smooth.
    I have always used the 5-50 or 15-50 synthetic oils.

I get the transsmission fluid changed every 15000 miles per the manual.

My car runs very quiet and at idle you can lift the hood and all you hear is the tick of the gas fuel injectors.

My brakes lasted 35,000 miles for the pads. I am on the original rotors.

My Transsmission works good.

I have excellent power.

My paint is good.

My power equipment works good. I have the LX model with limited stuff.

My doors close nice.

I never had the gas filter changed. I do not know where it is.

I change the air filter every 3 months or so.

I have had several problems with the car , but only after i take it to my dealer to fix something.

They always seem to break something else.

My forst dealer was to repair a pinched wire on the seatbelt light. He ended up leaving my seat back unbolted and almost killed me.

Another time he was to update the hold dopn bolt for the rear seats. They left the seal back unfastened on that seat also.

Another time I asked for a parking brake to be tightened.
    They disconnected the brake and sent me away without brakes.

A third time I purchased the block heater for them to install. They chargerd me $ 200 to install it and left a hose loose and the coolant leaked out.

A fouth time they worked on the muffler of my wifes kia and they messed up the rear brake cable so it locked up and made my wife skid out of control while she was driving.

Right now my A/C compressor is not working( not turning ) and we think they left a wire off when they worked on the alternator last year. We will be looking into it Friday.

But other than the normal problems of the dealerships the car has been real good.

My Taurus caught on fire and my buick had the rear axle come off while I was driving so I like the Kia better.

I notice the rental Kias are hammered hard and the 2005 seems much thinner metal than mine. It seemed not as quiet. I don't know if I just got a real good Kia with a bad dealer or what.
  • dean5dean5 Member Posts: 5
    Your owners manaual does state what grade to use. For the most part you are safe with either 10-30 or 10-40. Check the chart before you use the 5-30 for it might be too thin for warmer climates.
  • g8trtazg8trtaz Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2002 Sedona as well. What is this free update program you are talking about with the alternator? I have to go pick up a new alternator this week. A Kia dealership in Georgia told me that they would not replace the alternator for free. What do I need and where do I get it. I am paying $206 for the alternator and they want $240 for labor. Please tell me what I need to do. Thanks in advance for the help.
  • taggerdayztaggerdayz Member Posts: 1
    My husband and I purchased a new Sedona in Aug. 2005. Yesterday I took it to the dealership to be partially painted, not yet 22, 000 k's and their is rust developing around the front grill,around the top of the windshield and on the back of the van. Rust is also developing in the odd stone chip. The dealership tells me they can do anything about the stone ships. I understand that part, I guess. But why is my van rusting. The service department claims it is caused by rail dust and improper prep work before we bought the van and they will repaint the areas that need it the most, and varsol the other other spots. I want a complete paint job (that won't happen).We bought the extra rust coating warranty when we bought the van. If it is doing this now, what will it be like in a year or more. I am very upset and at this point I don't think I want my van anymore.
    We also had to have the wiper motor replaced as it quit.
    g8trtaz: It was a TSB bulletin on May 1, 2003 concerning the alternator. On my 02 Sedona the battery and brake lights were illumated at the same time. I had 35K miles on it at the time and the dealer replaced alternator and belt (new alternator has smaller pulley) under the warranty. Also receive a brand new battery but I think it was due to other problems. I would visit the kiatechinfo.com site (free) and print the TSB and see what your dealer says then.

The following information comes from kiatechinfo.com

TSB KT2005022504

AFFECTED PRODUCTION RANGE:

2002 and 2003 Sedona models produced before 2/28/03.
    Subject Sedona Charging System (Engine - 010)
    This bulletin provides information related to charging system changes in 2003MY Sedona models to improve alternator output during high ambient temperature severe operating conditions.

Some 2002 and 2003MY Sedona models built before 2/28/03 production may experience battery discharge when operated in high ambient temperatures for extended periods of time at low speeds or at idle with A/C, headlamps and other accessories on. Typically this results in customers reporting an inability to restart vehicle. To reduce incidence of battery discharge complaints, the following changes were made from 2/28/03 production:

Battery heat cover added
    New alternator with smaller pulley (65mm -> 55mm)
    ECM battery compensation revised.
    For 2002 and 2003MY Sedona complaint vehicles produced before 2/28/03, the revised parts and logic software have been made available for use as a field fix.

Hope this helps.
    -Michael :)
  • bielsangelbabebielsangelbabe Member Posts: 2
    I have an 04 Sedona that I have been very happy with. The quality is much better than the Caravan I had (AC quit in 2 years and could never be repaired).
    But today I did have something very scary happen and I don't see where anyone else has experienced this. I was filling the tank and trying to get as much as possible in at the good price I had found. I heard something pouring and felt splashing on my feet. There was gas pouring out from under my van.....at about the middle of the side door!!!! Needless to say I was really afraid to start the van because there was a lot of gas on the ground. I pulled over to the side and it slowly stopped. As I tried to drive out onto the highway, the van kept lurching and losing power. I had to sit there with the van running to get the gas level down.
    I have never experienced this with any other vehicle. The worst that has happened is the gas backs out onto the nozzle.
    The best idea I have is that there is a vent on the tank where it will overflow and then when you try to drive it keeps blocking it causing some kind of lock. I'm wondering if this might not be a reason for some of the fires.
    Any ideas from someone much more mechanically inclined than me???? :cry:
  • tadiktadik Member Posts: 2
    I purchased a used 2003 Kia Sedona 1/2/06. I been having problems with fuel tank capacity and low fuel warning light. I took my to Value Kia in Coatesville 4 times, this last time they stated to me that my owners manual is wrong, this van fuel tank capacity is only 16 gallon, not 19.5 as stated in the manual and the low fuel light will only come on for a few second when I have 1.6 gallon of gas left.

I have read about this van on the internet and in manuals and can not find this anywhere.

Can someone please help me!!! :cry:
    I have a 2002 Sedona EX. I don't have the manual handy right now, so I'm not sure what it says, but the tank is definitely in the 16 gallon range, not 19. Once my low fuel light comes on, it stays on until I get more gas. If it's not staying on, that's a problem.
  • tadiktadik Member Posts: 2
    Thanks,
    I looked up the specs. for the 2002 Sedona EX. You should also have a 19.8 gallon tank.
This discussion has been closed.