Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Toyota Camry Rattles

Comments

• Yes the dealer was initially doing this to my car at each oil change. It did help though there are a few rattles in the seat belt mechanism. Beware though. The last time I had it done the tech said he was no longer using a silicone spray but rather Toyota was reccomending some other sort of spray. It seemed the silicon was creating a build up over time and actually would make matters worse. WHo knows, maybe he was just B/s me but the guy has been very patient and nice in the past. Call your dealer and see if they know anything about it. I was just at my dealer today for rattles. If I had read this I would have asked for you.

I was in for the cowl rattle again. Of course it warmed up now and was not doing it so they said there was nothing they could do. The real solution is going to be for me to do it myslef. I finally got the old 'Well cold plastic is going to rattle' speeach today. Of course no other car I ever had suffered this affliction. Since my 02 has the supposed redesigned 04 cowl (which I noticed does have some foam on it) I can only assume that either the noise/vibration is not from the cowl, or the redesign just isn't getting the job done. Hopefully there will be another TSB and another fix down the road....I told the dealer to keep me in mind should they hear something. They also adjusted some plastic brackets that were hitting metal up in the roof liner by my rear window. Hopefully that quiets that set of rattles.
  • clockerclocker Posts: 8
    I also had the tick or creak sound coming from where the dash meets the windshield directly in front of the driver in my 2003 Camry LE. Although it seemed to be worse in colder weather, I heard it in warmer weather too. I had the cowl louver replaced yesterday as per the TSB, and I haven't heard the tick since. The fix appears to have worked in my case. (I also had the rubber washer in the steering column greased since the steering column was squeeling in extremely cold weather.)
  • have you experienced really cold weather since your cowl was relaced?
  • clockerclocker Posts: 8
    No, it hasn't been really cold yet. The reason I'm optimistic is because I had the tick even at the temps we're currently having (central IL) and it ticked even at the warmer temps. I agree I can't be absolutely certain until the weather turns cold, but I'm feeling pretty good about it.
  • rev4rev4 Posts: 38
    It has been 3 weeks since replacing the cowl under the windshield and still rattle free. TSB #5 seems to work.........so far! If you have not had it done yet...I would suggest it as there is no charge...........
  • I appreciate the dealer trying to rid my car of rattles but they can not keep up with new ones. Now the front passenger door rattles at times. Push and pull on it and hear it squeak. Rest your arm on the upper portion of the door while driving and hear it crackle. Listen to the seat belt mechanisms vibrating, the dash rattling here or there at will, the door seals drying out and sticking, the radio area vibrating, the rear windshield clips clicking against the headliner, the cowl...it never ends. I guess Toyota is putting their money into the Prius because the build on this one is crap.
    Under warranty I had the windshield wiper "cowl" replaced about 4-6 weeks ago.........the rattle is still gone. So far, so good.
  • Glad to hear it, do you suffer all the other rattles metioned above? What year is your Camry?
    I have no other rattles. I have a 2002 xle 4cy built in Japan. Sometimes I get minor "buzzing" noises in the seat belt mechanism on the door pillars...but not often and not for long. That's about it. So, I don't know if it's because it was built in Japan or what. But the "cowl" issue was the main thing and it seems to be fixed.
  • ellecinellecin Posts: 2
    I also have a 2002 Camry XLE built in Japan. I am also having rattling/popping from my passenger side by the radio speaker. I took it to the dealership here in Hawaii and was told that TSB #5 does not apply to my car since it was made in July of 2002 and by that time the new part was used. When was your Camry built? I just found it strange that the dealership would refuse to replace the cowl since I specifically went in with TSB in hand to make it easier for them.
    Thanks!
  • I was just cruising through this board, not even expecting to find anything, and WOW!

Well folks, my 2004 Camry SE also has a rattle of some sort. I couldn't figure out where, but was sure that it was coming from the front somewhere near the window. I was very surprised with only 2700 miles, I would even have a rattle from Toyota. Oh well! Suppose that I will have to go to the dealer.

Any one know if there is a service bulletin on this issue on the '04?
  • cam2003cam2003 Posts: 131
    ocean_shipper,

Welcome to rattle club!
  • Pathetic!
  • genegogenego Posts: 1
    Just 300 miles on the 04 XLE and I started hearing a rattle when you go over a certain type of road irregularity/bumps. Seems to be coming from the base of the windshield but I need to better investigate.
    I wonder if I can just temporarily slip some sort of thin foam piece under a few selected places of the cowl without removing the cowl to see if it helps.

Anyone's thoughts?
  • meng_kemeng_ke Posts: 2
    Strugled with buying Accord versus Camry for two months and finnally selected '04 Camry LE V6, but here comes....

1, for less than a week with 500 miles has similar problem of rattle noise described by Genego.
    2, Transmission not shift smoothly when starts from the stop.
    3, between 70-80 mph, I begin to hear a very low hmmm noise from the rear. The level gets higher at the higher mph. Not sure a wheel alighment problem or not.

sigh..
  • lilgreg56lilgreg56 Posts: 12
    I HAVE FOUND ALL MY TSB#S ON WWW.ALLDATA.COM, BUT NOTHING FOR 2004 YET
  • icedog97icedog97 Posts: 141
    First, I'd like to say that I love my 1998 LE. It drives great and has a lot of pick-up for a 4 cylinder...plus I got it used for 7.5K in 2002...they sell for that much or more now!

I have searched the boards and found numerous posts about rattles...mine has the "often posted" front suspension rattles. It's more noticeable on the passenger side than the driver side.

Anyway, it is puzzling to me, as it is to many of you, whey they can't get these things figured out. If my 98 rattles and the 2004's do to (for different reasons maybe) why can't Toyota fix these problems on the assembly line or in design time?

It's a shame, because they ride nicely and last forever...just wish when I went over some rough roads it didn't sound like I was shaking as plastic milk carton full of rocks around...(I used this reference because I remember the sound from when we were training our dog and we used this approach for certain obedience exercises).
  • They can not be fix because Toyota is using junkier plastics and fasteners to keep costs down....unfortuanately their image will be tarnished over time. Notice that the Camry has a rebate...don't see one on the Accord.
  • buzzhdbuzzhd Posts: 39
    One Word,Camry sucks!
    Dealer refuses to fix the rattles and claims the noise is ok when car goes over the bumpy road...
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Posts: 1,680
    I've noticed that the Accord board also has numerous rattle complaints.
  • junepugjunepug Posts: 161
    We own a 2002 Camry V6 LE, asembled in Kentucky, with 17,000 miles. We have not experienced any problems with the car nor have we heard any rattles. It is possibly the best new car we have purchased in 40 years of auto purchasing experience.
  • My wife has a 93 ES300 Lexus with 75,000 miles, everyone including Consumer Reports have stated in the past that this model Lexus is a glorified Camry and to some extent it is, but I will have to say to this day it has not one rattle, I can`t believe all of these remarks about rattles in Camrys, we had an 1988 Camry for 5 years and no rattles, I know Camrys have slipped in the ratings and this may be one of the big reasons they have, I don`t know what Toyotas problem is, their losing market share to their competitors now. In closing I do want to mention that my wifes Lexus has not been flawless, we did have to spend $1400 on transmission repairs last year, on a car that has 75,000 easy miles on it. We were planning on buying a new Camry in the fall but now I don`t know, maybe we will get another Lexus, rattles can drive a person crazy and dealerships hate it when people come in complaining their cars have rattles because they are so hard to find.
    only 75,000 miles on Lexus transmission was serviced? Is it regular transmission maintenance costing $1,400 or rebuilding? I had 92 Maxima for 120,000 miles without tranny problem before I got 2003 LE V6 Camry. This baby rattles too much and I now am kind used to the noise, and complain nothing since dealer won't give me a sh*t on that. I regret that I didn't get leather package as I was told there will be no rattles if getting leather seats etc.

So if you want to get a Camry, trying to get leather seat.

Also I don't know if I have a problem with my 5-Speed Auto tranny. Sometimes if it hesitates a bit before moving to the next gear.

Camry won't be my future choice, period!
    Please do not judge a car by what you read in a message board. In most cases, only the disgruntled will complain and post. The folks that are pleased with the cars will, in most cases, not complain. I personally know 11 very satisfied Camry owners and absolutely no dissatisfied owners.

Our 2002 LE, V6, asembled in Kentucky, has been totally trouble-free.
  • andy71andy71 Posts: 96
    Congratulation on your good fortunes. But if you read Consumer Reports you will find that the 2002 Camry only got an "average" reliability rating. The main reason are the squeaks and rattles that people are posting here about. Obviously, that doesn't mean every single one of the cars will have the problems. Most probably don't but a lot of them do.
  • larryt22larryt22 Posts: 125
    I only have 400 miles on my 04 LE and it has both the creaking at the top of the windshield and the ticking at the bottom of the windshield. When it is 40 degrees like today, the creaking is pretty constant. When it was 80 degrees like last week, there was no creaking at all. I haven't taken it back to the dealer yet, but I am anticipating the dealer will fix this since it seems to be a common problem and there are TSBs on both issues. The local dealer where I bought it has the top ranked service department in the Chicago region and I will be extremely disappointed if they don't resolve the problem. I am just surprised that Toyota is on the 3rd year of this body style and still producing vehicles with the same problems that caused them to have an average reliability rating in the first place.
    Read the Honda Accord board. Not only are there rattles, but some of the cars have a problem starting. Looks like brakes are a problem also.

In looking back over our previous vehicles, Fords, Chevy, Volvo, MG, Volkswagen, Jeep and Dodge, I must say that our Camry and Highlaner are the best of all the vehicles we have owned. I would not have purchased the Highlander if the Camry had been a rattle trap.

I am quite sure that all auto makers have some problems on the assembly line.
    if camry is built on the assembly line and I assume all materials are the same why on the earth someone has the rattles and squeaks problems, someone doesn't. I am the victim of this problem ever since I got it new last August.
  • andy71andy71 Posts: 96
    My 04 SE V6 has leather seats and I don't have any squeaks and rattles; somebody was mentioning that Camrys with leather seats don't rattle. Wonder if there is any truth to that.
    if camry is built on the assembly line and I assume all materials are the same why on the earth someone has the rattles and squeaks problems, someone doesn't. I am the victim of this problem ever since I got it new last August.