Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• dave2222dave2222 Posts: 78
    please look at the Ford.com site under the Five Hundred and Freestyle. Theyre amazing.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Interesting article about, among other things, Ford Five Hundred styling:

http://www.detnews.com/2004/autosinsider/0408/22/c01-249392.htm

(This one is a different one than the one posted earlier...it's from today!)
  • samnoesamnoe Posts: 731
    Looking on the 500 photos, I realized that you can not see on the instrument panel where you are (I mean Park, Reverse, Drive...). You have to look down to the shifter in order to see.

Did Mayes forget to include that?
  • Its just funny how everyone says the Five Hundred looks boring and bland, yet they seem to find the passat beautiful. I gather they were designed by the same guy, hell from the side view the ford looks like a grown up, well adjusted passat.

Man, this just goes to show you how many people are, in the words of one george carlin "mostly stupid, ignorant, and believe what they are told"

Ive seen many passats (NYC area) and let me tell you, from the pictures listed on the ford.com website, the five hundred looks ages better, but for some reason the media, and thus the rest of us ignorant mortals, look at the five-hundred with bad eyes.

I don't know whether its because the five-hundred is American, or because its built by money-hungry unions, or just because its a ford, but for some reason this car is getting a bad rap.

This car sucks in many ways, yes. It does not have a Navigation system, no Xenon (ford model) headlamps, no 250hp yet, no RWD, no V8 model, and none of that beautiful wood paneling on the doors. Fine thats a given, but ford did not mess up the exterrior style. It looks very sophisticated, like a college professors car should be if those people actually did their jobs.

I posted many times about this cars lack of features, but in many ways it does make up for some of it in style. If they just add some more features, common ford, are you there?
    I wonder how you will feel about that clean, pure, elegant style when they tack on the three bar Ford grille in three years!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    Hey, ANT! akirby, (whom I respect a lot) is claiming that the 5 speed auto trans in the Aviator is assembled in the USA, from French parts. I understood the trans was manufactured somewhere in France, shipped here and installed in the cars in the US. Do you know which is the case? This discussion is going on over on the Aviator thread..... Figured you'd know conclusively......
  • mariner7mariner7 Posts: 509
    Current Passat was introduced years ago, it was pretty avant garde then. It didn't copy from anybody, except its A4 cousin. Europe already has new Passat.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    Everyone is talking about how vastly improved the materials quality in the Five Hundred is, and I agree, it does appear that way. Still, there is nothing to adorn the doors as there is in the competition, and the white faced guages are fairly ugly and out-of-place in an otherwise elegant interior. Wheres the classy guages like in the 300, or the electroluminescent guages like in the new Avalon (or Accord, or Camry, or even Corolla)?

~alpha
    You don't get the white faced guages unless you buy the limited.....
  • buckwheatbuckwheat Posts: 396
    The guages in the Limited are not "White". Standard for Limited, "Cream-colored instrumentation dial faces".
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    My point was yuck, not very choice instrumentation for the uplevel and overall well executed interior.

~alpha
    In YOUR opinion. Everyone I know who has looked at them has been VERY impressed.

I know I am glad I am NOT getting them...
  • mschmalmschmal Posts: 1,757
    I hate wood trim. All well, I'd rather have a FWD CVT anyway and there is no wood on the SE.

Not too happy with the cloth on the SE though its kind of like the F-150 STX cloth, very flat and rough...no plush to it. Probably will resist stains well though.

There are some other misques, the power seat controls belong on the door panel as in the crown vic.

Ford is using a great illustration to show the advantage of a CVT over a tradition step transmission.

Picture a CVT as a continous sloop. No picture a slooped set of steps.

Roll a ball down each. the Ball on the steps looses foward momentum when it is falling to the next step. the ball on the sloop gets ahead of the ball on the steps.

Incidently, the rear rotors, 13inches are larger than the 12.2 inch rotors on the 04 Audi A8. Its about time figured out that DRUM brakes SUCK.

Mark
  • badgerfanbadgerfan Posts: 1,565
    Well, when I picture a sloop, I see a type of sailboat. A slope, on the other hand, is what you mean.

Rear disc brakes may be current state of the art, but rear brakes do very little of the work, so most of the advantages of rear discs is not so much an advantage as a perception of advantage, but whatever it takes to meet/beat the competition these days is required.

I could care less about fake wood, real wood, fake or real brushed aluminum, fake carbon fiber composite, etc, etc on car interiors, but to some the car is somehow less without these gimmicks, so on they go.

What impresses me is well thought out controls located ergonomically and with good rigid non flimsy design and no squeeks or rattles over the long haul. Flat black plastic works fine for me, but I guess I am too practical.
    file not found?
    John, the link worked fine in the Lincoln Town Car forum, I don't know what happened here. I'll make another stab at it.

http://www.autoweek.com/printwindow.cms?newsId=100663&pageTyp- e=news
    That one works fine.

Thanks!
    I suppose rear drums are fine, and if you didn't look, you'd never know which you had. But honestly, I look all the time, and when I see rear disks (like on a RAV 4 one of my employees just bought), I think "quality" auto. When I see rear drums (like on a former Durango, or a current Taurus), I think "they've cheaped out there, where else have they been cheap). Now, clearly, I'm different than most people, but I would not likely buy a car with rear drum brakes. I don't think drum brakes should exist today, mostly because they're too damn hard to fix!
    ...not to mention the really evil things they do when they get wet. I agree. Drum brakes should be relegated to the ash can of history...
    Not to mention the ever fun experince of FROZEN brakes.

Mark
    So which does the 500 have?
  • nedc2nedc2 Posts: 192
    Disc brakes. Specifically dual piston calipers and 12.4" discs up front, and 13" discs with single piston calipers in rear. They seem to work really well. When I test drove a Freestyle, which shares the Five Hundred's mechanicals, I practically stood on them from about 30-35 mph going over the rumble strips on the test course on Belle Isle and there was no nosediving, or any loss of composure, and a surprisingly short stoppping distance, keep in mind that the vehicle had been going through this kind driving for about 5 hours before I got my shot. They are worlds better than the disc drum setup in the Sable I borrowwed recently or the 4 wheel discs on my Crown Vic.
    The Five Hundred/Montego/Freestyle all have 12.5" vented discs in the front and depending on Fords own presskit for each model, which I believe to be just another Ford "faux pas" the Five Hundred has 12" solid discs in the rear the others have 13"

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=10- 51&press_section_id=398&make_id=92

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=10- 53&press_section_id=398&make_id=94

http://media.ford.com/products/presskit_display.cfm?vehicle_id=10- 54&press_section_id=398&make_id=92
    its 13 inch solid rear rotors on Five Hundred. This gives the Five Hundred bigger discs than some so called "Full Size" pickups on the market.

Mark
    you concluded that hah! That was the thrust of my post, just another typo along with the many other typos, like 6speed auto with AWD.
    Yeah, the press realeases are full of typos, but the rear discs are approx. 13" and they are HUGE, I've seen the cars up close and have driven them. They have really impressive brakes.
  • iantgiantg Posts: 1
    Today, I attended the Ford Innovation Drive in Orlando, Fl. Got to take the Five Hundred Limited AWD, the Freestyle SE, and the new f350 for a spin. The Five Hundred is very comfortable, and the acceleration issue doesn't seem to be too terrible with the cvt. Then again, I have a focus zx3 with five speed, and found performance to be slightly better than what I'm used to. The freestyle's styling is a little uninspired, but the five hundred looks promising. Since it rides on the Volvo S80 platform, the amount of mounting hardware for the 3.0 liter duratec makes it obvious. Considering that this architecture is wide enough to accomodate an inline six, I think we can expect some interesting cars on this promising platform. I recommend playing with a Volvo S80 before tying one out. You'll see where everything comes from. It's not incredibly obvious, but it's the little things that make this car, well, unusual for a Ford Product.
    Since I have lots of experience with the S-80, and love it (except for the FWD aspect, which I tolerate, not love), I bet I like the 500......
  • fdcapt2fdcapt2 Posts: 122
    The other day I priced out the 500 and Montego. I was a bit surprised how high the prices ended up being. My question is, will they create packages for the options, or will it be each individual option. I know in the past there have been certain options that were grouped together, and you ended up saving money that way. I find it hard to spend 30 grand on a Mercury that doesn't have half the options I have in my Acura TL. I can pick up a new Acura for just about what you'll be paying for a loaded Montego. I think Ford better re-think their pricing
    The pricing looks pretty good to me. The Montego Luxury, with the safety and convenience packages, and the reverse sensing option, the only options I'd be interested in comes to under $27K whereas the base TL comes to over $33K, list prices not invoice.
    The two cars are rather hard to compare though, they're not really aimed at the same market. the TL is a luxury sport sedan, the Montego, while it might be peppy and handle reasonably well, the Ford Five Hundred certainly felt so to me, is MUCH larger and less sporting in character. It is however a more versatile transporter of people and cargo. I don't really think that too many Montego shoppers would have seriously considered the TL, more likely they'd be cross shopping with Avalons, V6 Chrysler 300s, Park Avenues, Subaru Legacys, base model Volvo S80s, and maybe even some minivans. I'm also interested in what options you found missing. Navigation? Moon roof? Manual transmisson?
This discussion has been closed.