Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego

Comments

• grbeckgrbeck Posts: 2,361
    Is there a source or reporting agency that shows exactly what percentage of a model's sales go to retail and fleet customers?

I'm suspicious of GM's sales results for some of their models. The tired old Grand Am, for example, has been recording hefty sales increases all year. I find it hard to believe that retail customers are flocking to Pontiac dealers with the sudden urge to buy the current Grand Am. The Impala has also been recording healthy sales increases all year, and it has been out for several years now.
  • ANT14ANT14 Posts: 2,687
    Nope, no single agency records that data. Just the manufacturer's themselves, and most are embarassed to state what percentage goes onto fleet sales.

Ironically, Impala, Grand Am, Cadavelier, all which haven't had a decent redesign in quite awhile, all have improved sales from year ago figures. And it's NOT rebates or incentives that are boosting sales either. Hence, fleet sales.....

JUST at the time that Ford is cutting fleet sales, GM is going up. Clear indication. More Toyota's are popping up on rental car lots as well, I believe they are at a 8-10% to fleet sales, last source I read.
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    The 500 is built on the S-80 platform? I somehow had it in my so-called mind, that it was a Mazda 6 under there. I like the S-80 a lot, that would be good news for the car, I think.

Wish the Zephyr was built on the S-80, instead of the 6 platform. But then again, what do I know? I just need to drive the cars and see how they feel.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    It is the Ford formerly to be known as Futura that has a Mazda6 somewhere in its parentage...
  • jchan2jchan2 Posts: 4,956
    Toyota used to not do rental fleets at all. Now there's a few. In a couple of years, they'll be all over the place.
    Yep, which means they resale value will drop a bit too. They'll need to keep an eye out on that, if not it'll hurt them, like it has Ford, GM, DCX.
    and it takes a while to fix the fleet resale value problem.
  • alpha01alpha01 Posts: 4,747
    that Toyota is goig to make the mistake that GM and Ford have made in terms of rentals. They are out there, but I have a hard time believing its 8-10% of the total vehicle line. The highest volume rental car is the Camry, at 12% (combined rental and corporate fleet) last I read, I believe. But there arent rental 4Runners, HLs, Avalons, etc, as far as I know, although there may be some corporate fleet sales of said vehicles.

ANT14- You mentioned that Malibu sales are up because of rentals- not so. Malibu sales are down slightly on the year, because it is only the Classic that is going en masse to fleets.

~alpha
  • grbeckgrbeck Posts: 2,361
    The new Malibu sold a little over 12,000 units in May, which means it will still fall short of its sales targets. I recall a GM executive - I think it was Gary Cowger - saying in an Autoweek interview that the new Malibu would sell 250,000 units this model year. (Since the old Malibu is now dubbed "Classic," I'm assuming that he is referring to the new model when he says that the Malibu's sales target is 250,000 units.)

The new model will not hit anywhere near that target. On the other hand, those sales should be to retail customers, which is an improvement over the old one.

As for Toyota - it has always used more "hard sell" tactics, especially compared to Honda. The dealers around here easily match the Chevy and Ford dealers for screamer ads promoting "special deals on new Toyotas." I'm not surprised that Toyota is more willing to sell to fleets than Honda.
    Ironically I had to pick up my car at Hertz, and because of timing issues, all they had was a Solara to choose from. EEEK !! 5 Minutes into my road adventure I get the tire pressure system telling me one tire is low on air, so BACK to Hertz I went. I just have never had luck with Toyota's, but there were quite many there to choose from. Everything from Highlander's, to Rav4's, to Camry's and Solara's.

Hmmm, could it be Ford is using Toyota's to drive down their depreciation ?

And yes they wanted to stick me into everything from Alero's, to Century's EEK ! After the bitching, whining and yelling was done, I got out with a Jag S-type.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,964
    "I got out with a Jag S-type. "

If 4.2 and Sport, I'd be very interested in your driving impressions . . . Perhaps you could post on the Jag S-Type board?

I rented one for a 3 day weekend a couple of years ago when I was looking seriously at purchase.

Thanks,
    - Ray
    Realizing that this is NOT the Jag S-Type board . . .
    2016 BMW 340i
  • robr2robr2 BostonPosts: 8,863
    What airport?

When I pick up in Orlando, Hertz has the usual Ford/Mercury/Volvo/Mazda/Jag/Land Rover suspects. They also have GM's, Toyotas, Kias, and Hyundais.
    Ray,
    I have test driven the S-type 4.2L sport numerous times before, but this time around just a 3.0L S-type. I wasn't going to look at a gift horse in the mouth. I myself have a LS V8 so the vehicle feels "familiar" in many ways, yet different in suspension tuning for example.

Rob,
    Miami Airport (MIA). I wanted to take my car but cosidering I put around 50K miles a year, the higher powers wanted me to rent, so I did being it's not coming out of my pocket.

MIA gas $2.09 Reg
    ORL gas $1.95 Reg

Although one of the main points of this trip is to buy 28/34 pants, a size that is NOT shipping to Miami because of it's market and demographics. I actually found quite many here today.

Jag S-type 3.0L did much better with gas, than the previous Mazda6 4 cylinder I got last time. That Mazda6 averaged 14MPG in the turnpike, while the S-type did 22MPG. This is mostly because it takes the 4 cylinder much more work for it to cut through the wind at high speeds. Reving over 4300RPM most of the way. While the S-type did it at a much more leisurely 2600RPM.

Just an example of one of few senarios, where a 4 cylinder is not always as fuel efficient as we expect it.
  • rayainswrayainsw Posts: 2,964
    " I myself have a LS V8"
    Me, too.
    Thanks for the response.
    I'd love to see Ford raid the (Corporate) Jag parts bin for high level equipment to incorporate into a few versions of Ford and Lincoln - Merc products.
    AWD 4.2L Jag motor in a 500 sounds pretty cool!
    - Ray
    Dreamin' . . .
    2016 BMW 340i
    I counted one Taurus, three Camrys, two Solaras, one 4Runner and a few Aveos and your typical GM group. (grand am, Alero, Classic, etc.)
    Although the rental car discussion is, I suppose, very nice, I still want to know when I will be able to count the many Ford Five Hundred/Mercury Montego reviews appearing in the popular press. When does the embargo end?

And yes, I AM a curious sort!
  • nvbankernvbanker Posts: 7,285
    We're just killing time, John.........sorry.
    No need to apologize, just tell me when I can actually READ impressions about these vehicles in the popular press!!!! :)
    Ray,

Unfortunately, the 4.2L will never see light in a 500/Montego. It's frontal structure would have to be severely modified for it to happen. Granted, with money you can make ANYTHING happen, but I can safely tell you, THIS won't happen.

And another thing I can tell you, Ford and Jag will share less and less as time goes by. The DEW98 platform will be dropped (as we know it), and the 3.9L goes away from Lincoln use. Instead, expect Jag to borrow/share from/with Volvo.

John,
    If you remember the joke I mentioned a week ago... "2 weeks"....and even then you might hear me say "2 weeks" hehe. But it's getting closer and when they do, I'll let you know who reports on it first as it becomes available to me, and I'll post it as well.
    ....but, the Five Hundred borrows/shares from Volvo. So, is that a distinction without a difference? :)

As for the two weeks, thanks. I think! :)
This discussion has been closed.