Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Chrysler Pacifica

Comments

• Options
    mapleleavemapleleave Member Posts: 25
    DCX is asking its employee to lease pacifica because of slow sales. The buying rate is now 1.35 vs. a typical 2.0 lease rate. At the same time, they are offering supplier the empolyee rate ( a little worse ) so they can buy more DCX vehicle.

Why doesn't DCX just drop the price of pacifica for about $8k to where it should be priced?
  • Options
    rkuehnrkuehn Member Posts: 120
    I say again... Chrysler should have built a crossover SUV to compete with Highlander, Pilot, Murano, even RX, XC90, etc. Not a tall wagon to compete with... ???

Best guess is that they didn't want to cannabalize the next gen Grand Cherokee (?). But Toyota & Nissan seem OK with 4Runner/Highlander and Pathfinder/Murano. Now Daimler's Chrysler has what the Europeans would call an "own-goal".
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    A reporter with a major magazine is looking to interview people who were drawn to Chrysler dealerships by the Pacifica, and then experienced sticker shock, and perhaps purchased the Town and Country instead.
    If you fit the bill, please respond to jfallon@edmunds.com by Friday, September 5 with your daytime contact information and a few words about your experience.
    Thanks!
    Jeannine Fallon
    PR Director
    Edmunds.com

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    deezldubdeezldub Member Posts: 15
    GGot my Midnight Blue Pacifica tonite... Yahoo... But I found it odd that the steering wheel switches for the cruise control are not lit! The volkswagen that I traded on the Pacific had lit switches, and it was half the price and the mid grade VW at that... Not that its severe, but an obvious ergonomic oversight...

Otherwise, I love it so far!
  • Options
    revkarevka Member Posts: 1,750
    because it was deemed to be disruptive in nature. For the sake of continuity, another post in direct response to this post was also deleted.

Please be aware that trolling or repetitive negative postings, that only serve to disrupt a topic, will not be tolerated in these discussions. It's okay to critique a vehicle or an idea, however we ask that our member use civil debate and respect their fellow members as they would in a public arena.

For further clarification on this matter, please refer to your Town Hall Member Agreement guidelines. Feel free to email me if you have any questions/comments regarding this matter. Please do not address this with me here.

And let's get back to subject of the Chrysler Pacifica. Thanks!

Revka
    Host
    Hatchbacks & Wagons Boards
  • Options
    and congrats on your new Midnight Blue Pacifica! We look forward to hearing all about ownership experience. Happy motoring! ;-)

Revka
    Host
  • Options
    russklassrussklass Member Posts: 389
    I drove a loaner FWD Pacifica today while my AWD was in for service.
    It was raining, and I played with full throttle acceleration from a stop light. Sure enough, the front tires started to slip until the traction control intervened.
    With my AWD I can floor the throttle in a driving rain and all 4 tires dig in with no slippage.
    I made the right choice!
    10,000 miles and still very pleased.
  • Options
    pssimonpssimon Member Posts: 144
    What kind of gas mileage is everyone getting? I am lucky if I squeak out 19MPG on the highway. I know the Pacifica is big and heavy, but this still doesn't sound right to me. I have about 3500 miles.

What sort of mileage are the rest of you getting?
  • Options
    maxmommaxmom Member Posts: 62
    With 3500 miles, I am getting up to 21.5 hwy and around 18.9 - 19.5 short runs (including idling in the school parking lot in the southern humidity).

Haven't been in for my first oil change, but I will probably switch to synthetic oil and am hoping for a slight bump in mileage then.
  • Options
    bchristebchriste Member Posts: 3
    The dealer replaced my 6-disc changer due to the fact that it would not play nor would it eject any of the three CDs I put in. Both of the changers click, whir, and flash their lights for about a minute when I first start the vehicle. I asked the service department about it and they assured me that it's normal. I just can't believe that a $500 piece of equipment has to be so annoying. Does anybody/everybody else experience the same behavior? Please let me know either way. Thank you all!!
  • Options
    sailme2sailme2 Member Posts: 8
    #112 of 114 NEED HELP ON GETTING A PACIFICA by sailme2 Sep 02, 2003 (7:03 pm)
    Since the Pacifica first came out I had decided that was the next car for me. My only concern was Chrysler's some what shakey dependability. I was planning to wait for several more months until my BMW lease was over in Nov. However with all the reports about the deep discounts I am reconsidering. Has anyone out there heard how long these discounts are going to be around? Also are these discounts only on the demos or on all cars? Can you find these demos only by contacting the dealers?

I would appreciate any answers to my questions!!
  • Options
    July avg. MPG 18.0
    August avg. MPG 17.7
    This by actual calculation, not trip computer
    Best trip Mileage 21.5

CD changer:
    It's a changer, so it WILL whirl & click when changing discs. It should not, however, make those noises on vehicle startup.

Chrysler reliability:
    I put 130,000 miles on 2 300Ms with NO problems.
    So far with the Pacifica, 10,000 miles, I have had 2 minor weatherstrip problems (both fixed promptly), and had the left front wheel bearing and wheel speed sensor replaced.
    Everything works properly, and I am very pleased with my purchase.
  • Options
    grbelotegrbelote Member Posts: 25
    Just completed a 3500 mile trip from Mississippi to Virginia, Maryland and Delaware. Mpg 21 for trip driving a little over speed limit. So far the Pacifica has been flawless. A little more power would be a big plus. A tank of Amoco was the worst mileage. Best mileage was with a tank of Shell.??? I used grade 87 for entire trip. No oil consumption. So far I'm very pleased.
  • Options
    nine51nine51 Member Posts: 77
    Within the next year or so, I may be looking for a replacement for my 97 Grand Caravan ES (85K+ miles). I am interested in the Pacifica, but I'm turned off by the pricetag. Seems like for $30K+ I can get another Grand Caravan ES with more room. I am not impressed by the mpg reported here either. My Grand Caravan ES will consistently get 23+ mpg on the highway and it's a great hauler.

The Pacifica is a great looking car, but ?? Maybe a diesel would help.

Does DC have a problem with building cars / trucks that get good fuel economy? I was also interested in a Dodge Dakota pickup, but boy do they suck gas!
  • Options
    speeds2muchspeeds2much Member Posts: 164
    Today I stopped into a Chrysler dealership to check out the Crossfire and saw a Pacifica on the lot. It's a handsome-looking vehicle...better-looking than any SUVs, minivans and wagons that I can think of. I was impressed with all the available content and thoughtful features (such as having the Sat-Nav screen in the instrument cluster), too. It has a sports coupe quality about it. Good luck to everyone who has bought one! I might join you next time I'm in the market for an all-purpose car.

b25nut...I completely agree with your comparison to Lexus, Infiniti, etc., regarding the luxury and content for the dollar. The Pacific has class and lots to offer. Word-of-mouth may get a lot more people into this car.
  • Options
    mrl11777mrl11777 Member Posts: 154
    Article on DCX. Pacifica is a sales dud. Expect reworked configuration (2nd row bench is the most asked-for item according to dealer newsletter) and significant discounts. May be a great vehicle, but it is getting the press of a modern-day Edsel.
  • Options
    ruskiruski Member Posts: 1,566
    you got so excited about one negative review that you must have peed your pants! How long have you been waiting for this?
  • Options
    As I've said before on the board I don't understand why Chrysler didn't build a crossover SUV to rival MDX, RX, XC90, Pilot, Highlander, etc. That's the market with huge growth these days. Not station wagons. They'll work for a few folks out there but nothing like the 100,000 target the vehicle had at the outset.

Anyone have recent sales numbers? I presume the margins are awful.

Meanwhile Acura/Honda took the Odyssey and produced MDX/Pilot. Lexus took ES/Camry and made RX/Highlander. Volvo took S80 and got XC90. All have healthy margins I think.

As I recall the original spy shots of the Pacifica had Chrysler morphing the 300M, similar to what Volvo did with S80 for the XC90. Looked pretty good, for an early design mule.

If Chrysler had done this right then they'd have a success on their hands. Don't know what they were thinking. Maybe afraid to cannabalize sales from Jeep?
  • Options
    oedipus1608oedipus1608 Member Posts: 76
    The Chrysler Pacifica was the 3rd best selling crossover SUV with almost 7,000 sold in July alone. The Chrysler Pacifica is far from being a sales dud.
  • Options
    "If Chrysler had done this right then they'd have a success on their hands. Don't know what they were thinking. Maybe afraid to cannabalize sales from Jeep?"

The only thing "wrong" with the Pacifica was the way it was positioned (loaded with options, pricey). Once Chrysler dropped the price, the vehicle did much better. The Pacifica is great-looking. I saw one on the road today...it has a lot of presence. It's a new type of near-luxury vehicle, really, and it's coming out during a period of high unemployment. Of course it will take time to catch on, but if Chrysler keeps making good products like this, pinched consumers won't think twice about buying a Chrysler over an Acura, etc., and the Mercedes affiliation doesn't hurt, either.
  • Options
    Well if they can move 7,000 of them monthly that's not bad actually, Volvo just upped their annual XC90 target to 80,000. But what about the incentives & margins?
  • Options
    atlanticaatlantica Member Posts: 3
    I agree with speeds2much that the reason sales were slow for Pacifica initially was due to the way it was marketed:

1. The first dealer allocations were loaded models that started at $35K and some were over $40K.
    2. There were no rebates/discounts initially.
    3. Advertising was nil.

Now:

1. Dealers have a wide range of models on their lots, Some as low as $29K. Some loaded up at over $40K.
    2. At the end of August and early September, there alot of rebates and incentives that brought the price down even further. I got $5500 off my Pacifica that had a MSRP of $35K. In addition (not *INSTEAD* like the other car manufacturers were offering) I could get Chrysler financing of 2.9% for up to 7 years.
    3. I've noticed the advertising has definitely picked up as of late. I've seen Pacifica commercials on Monday Night Football and the late night talk shows. Actually the commercial they are running is very good (in my opinion). The tagline "Well beyond the SUV" indicates they are going after the huge SUV market and are trying to pitch something that is classier and better.

In retrospect, Chrysler was probably overly optimistic that they could sell 100,000 Pacificas in the first year. Not in this economy. But the Pacifica and the new Crossfire indicate where Chrysler is going. They are trying to move upmarket. They are both good products. They just need to be patient with their pricing and sales expectations. Brand name perceptions don't change overnight, no matter how good your marketing is.
  • Options
    tod1tod1 Member Posts: 1
    Writing this is very painful. My wife while on the phone made a legal U-turn and was T-boned on the passenger side of the vehicle. A 93 Acura impacted my Pacifica at 30 to 35 Mph. None of the airbags deployed. My wife did not have a scratch on her, just shaken. The glass in the doors did not brake. Here is the painful part the car was only two weeks old. My insurance company estimated the damage at $7500. I also found out that 40% of the Pacifica is Mercedes. I thought that I would share my experience with everyone. I still love the car. I should have it back next week. The car has been at the dealer for a month and a half.
  • Options
    Sorry to hear about the accident, but glad to hear no one was hurt!
    Evidently the 5* crash rating was well earned!
  • Options
    Glad to hear your wife is okay. I've heard stories of people who survived similar crashes on the driver's door of a Mercedes sedan. Also, my mother walked away from an accident involving a drunk driver who slammed into the back of her Mercedes C-class sedan at 60 mph (she was stopped and signalling to turn left). She spun around into the other lane and the huge American car that hit her never penetrated into the passenger cabin. So, it's good to see the Pacifica has Mercedes bloodlines.

BTW, I wonder if an SUV would have flipped over due to the side impact?
  • Options
    rcf8000rcf8000 Member Posts: 619
    It is not true that the initial dealer allocations were loaded cars. One of the first cars a local dealer got had NO options.
  • Options
    hayneldanhayneldan Member Posts: 657
    If Pacifica is a sales flop what are all these selling less than the Pacifica?
    Chrysler Pacifica 6,857
    Jeep Wrangler 6,840
    Toyota Sequoia 6,837
    Nissan Xterra 6,535
    Toyota RAV4 6,425
    Subaru Forester 6,353
    GMC Yukon XL Denali 6,041
    Honda Element 5,876
    Mazda Tribute 5,657
    Mercury Mountaineer 5,214
    Buick Rendezvous 5,213
    Nissan Murano 5,027
    Acura MDX 4,604
    Kia Sorento 3,800
    Volvo XC90 3,702
    Chevrolet Tracker 3,647
    Chevrolet Blazer 3,584
    BMW X5 3,546
    Nissan Pathfinder 3,402
    Lincoln Navigator 3,130
    Mercedes-Benz M-Class 3,027
    Mitsubishi Endeavor 3,022
    Cadillac Escalade 2,732
    Lincoln Aviator 2,692
    Hummer H2 2,602
    Lexus GX 470 2,403
    Mitsubishi Outlander 2,390
    Infiniti FX45 2,384
    Ford Excursion 2,154
    Pontiac Aztek 2,153
    Suzuki XL-7 1,795
    Isuzu Rodeo 1,739
    Mitsubishi Montero Sport 1,653
    Porsche Cayenne 1,354
    Land Rover Discovery 1,330
    Volkswagen Touraeg 1,289
    Land Rover Range Rover 1,225
    Subaru Baja 1,078
    Cadillac Escalade ESV 966
    Land Rover Freelander 753
    Mitsubishi Montero 729
    Lexus LX 470 661
    Oldsmobile Bravada 611
    Suzuki Vitara 591
    Suzuki Grand Vitara 584
    Isuzu Axiom 524
    Toyota Land Cruiser 517
    Infiniti QX4 305
    Isuzu Ascender 267
    Isuzu Rodeo Sport 143
    Mercedes-Benz G-Class 123
    Kia Sportage 74
    Isuzu Trooper 70
    Hummer H1 52
  • Options
    oedipus1608oedipus1608 Member Posts: 76
    Does anyone know how many Pacifica were sold in August?
  • Options
    I'd say the Pacifica can be defined as a flop because 1) they only sold that many because of HUGE incentives, and 2) even the July selling rate is well below what they had planned for. DCX seems proud of the fact that the Pacifica is "hard to classify". I think that's a liability. They should put a 3 passenger 2nd row in it and call it a station wagon.
  • Options
    twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
    In case you had not noticed, every domestic (and a lot of foreign) manufacturers are offering HUGE inventives right now. That's just what it takes to play in the game right now.
  • Options
    Pacifica is an excellent $20-25k station wagon. DCX misread the market in pricing it in line with the premium brands like Acura, Volvo and Lexus. The risk, tho, is that when it is priced correctly it will just take sales from DCX minivans and Jeeps, so they will not have expanded the market. Repositioning it as a station wagon (and one that can pull a decent-sized boat) will take sales from the only domestic wagon left, the Taurus/Sable.

Of course, calling it a station wagon is not as sexy as calling it a "sports tourer" -- whatever that is.
  • Options
    LohengrinLohengrin Member Posts: 84
    I think Chrysler is onto something with the Pacifica. It is perfect for families who have larger kids or go on frequent road trips. Especially if said family doesn't want an SUV or minivan. I predict, however, that in order stay competitive they will have to upgrade the tranny to 5-spd and add an optional V-8. Maybe the 4.7L from Jeep or something from Mercedes. With a beefier drivetrain, the Pacifica will sell like hotcakes. Optional rear bench would be good too.
  • Options
    It definitely needs serious upgrading of the powertrain. Another thing that it seriously needs is less weight, but not much could be done about that without a total redesign.
  • Options
    imidazol97imidazol97 Member Posts: 27,154
    I thought I was on the Honda board where criticism
    is not allowed nor tolerated... grin.

The Pacifica needs some gas mileage. It seems
    low -- less weight, better engine???.

2014 Malibu 2LT, 2015 Cruze 2LT,

• Options
    A close friend has just bought one yesterday.
    I had been reading here to help him make a decision. He chose it over suvs like Highlander, Envoy. It fits their needs.

Gas mileage on highway is not a factor; most driving is urban and expressway around the city.

I'm anxious to drive it when the dealer gets it
    to him...

• Options
    twoof1twoof1 Member Posts: 308
  • Options
    Folks - Let's get back to the subject of the Chrysler Pacifica. Off topic subjects can be discussed via email. Thanks!

Revka
    Host
  • Options
    b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
    The October issue of Motor Trend rates "New-Age Wagons" (Pacifica, Volvo XC70 & VW Touareg). Unbelievably, they rate the Pacifca last and the XC70 #1. The following is a copy of my letter to the editor I sent off to them today:

Dear Editors,

As the proud owner of a Chrysler Pacifica with over 7,000 miles on it (with zero problems), I have to take exception to the logic and the tactics you used in comparing it to its Volvo and VW rivals. First, the Pacifica you tested was fully loaded with every option like the Premium Audio and the DVD system (which you didn't even mention) just to get it in the same price category as the Touareg and XC70. The Pacifica has many features that are standard which are either options (like a trip computer and homelink) or not even available on the other two (like adjustable pedals and tire pressure monitoring).
         You start your critique of the Pacifica by complaining it has no steering wheel telescoping feature. With powered, memory pedals, this is totally unnecessary! My wife is 10 inches shorter than I am yet the settings we have in the memory system only require adjusting the center rear view mirror when we change drivers. Try doing that in a Volvo. Then you complain about a low driver's seat. Why didn't you raise it up? I know the driver sits higher in a Pacifica than in a XC70.
         If your intent was to pick the vehicle that best matches the definition of a traditional station wagon, the XC70 wins hands down. Your main criticism of the Pacifica is that it is not as useful as a minivan, yet you fail to hold the Volvo or the VW to this standard. How will an adult in the second row of a XC70 take care of the needs of a child in its rear facing third row? Would you ask an older adult friend to actually sit in the Volvo third row? I purchased my Pacifica with the criteria that the second row had to be easily accessible and comfortable for our aging parents. Pacifica's step-in height is ideal for this. The lower Volvo is not.
         Pacifica is quieter with better braking, offers more room in every dimension for passengers with equal, if not superior, comfort (with heated seats in the second row), has a powered rear liftgate, has more cargo volume, has better safety ratings and costs much less when equipped with the same options. The Pacifica is superior to any other "wagon" because it is much more. It doesn't have the "adventuresome image" of an SUV, but neither does the XC70. Buyers in this category are there because they don't want an SUV.
         There were a couple inconsistencies in your article. In the specifications, you list the XC70 as seven passengers but the car tested was not. Did the price as tested include the cost of a third row of seats? If not, you unfairly biased the data. Also, you state that the Pacifica you tested was equipped with the navigation system yet the pictures you show clearly do not have the controls for that system. What gives?

The article actually has very good things to say about the Pacifica except for what they describe as interior plastic that looks "cut-rate, with some uneven panel gaps" and that is "a mishmash of uneven-quality pieces". Doesn't sound like my Pacifica.
  • Options
    b25nutb25nut Member Posts: 202
    To show how far into left field Motor Trend is, their own online poll asked: Which crossover vehicle most appeals to you? Out of 720 votes:

Pacifica: 57%
    Touareg: 29%
    XC70 13%
  • Options
    Motortrendcar&driverroad&tracketc. They are far from unbiased. CU is better, but Edmunds is the place to go for the utmost in automotive information.

Go Edmunds!!!!!
  • Options
    Follow the money or the ride...
    Who advertises more in the mag?
    What do the reviewers drive?
    What do the reviewers think the readers
    want to read?

I hate when the reviewers selectively overlook or
    misrepresent the cars to serve their own opinion.

FWIW: I don't think CU has been much better through the years.

• Options
    dudleyrdudleyr Member Posts: 3,469
    The best thing about CU is that they put all cars on the same scale, so while you may not agree with their conclusions, you can see how cars in different classes compare with each other.

The car mags will say things like brand X SUV handles well, when what they mean is it handles well for a truck, but the reader comes away thinking the vehicle is nimble when it is not at all!
  • Options
    but Edmunds is the bestest!!! And the posters on the pacifica board are the smartest of the whole lot!!

Go Edmunds!!
  • Options
    about cars you "know." They leave out features in a car they don't want to push and mention features in cars they like. And they will back up their "opinion/fact" with the ratings from their readers... very biased polling, may I add.

I had subscribed several different times to CU and NEVER received their ratings questionnaire that was sent to all subscribers... And only those wishing to be negative about a product like a particular car they don't like or who wish to push a car they think is great are going to have a high return rating. Along with that disparity in the polling is the difference in the type and age of certain buyers of certain cars and how they respond to the poll.

• Options
    Mailman must have stolen it. I've gotten it every year -- it's not just on cars, but many other topics, too.

But, still, Edmunds is the tops!! And those Pacifica owners/posters -- they are, too!!!

Go Edmunds!! Go Pacifica!!
  • Options
    avery1avery1 Member Posts: 373
    I've received it every year for the last 15 that I have subscribed. I can't imagine a better system. You can never get away from bias completely but I do not believe they "adjust" their figures and to have the cars run on the same track by a magazine that accepts no advertising seems about as pure as one can get. I have relied on their magazines for years and always will. (Of course, I make the final decision from their top picks for safety, etc.)
  • Options
    Some time ago, a magazine cartoon showed a line of cars being driven off a cliff.
    The speech balloon had one observer saying to another "I see CU is testing cars again".
    They should stick to testing toasters and other soulless appliances!
  • Options
    ms_mayorms_mayor Member Posts: 113
    I live in NJ, and Hurricane Isabel is currently blowing through.

Had to take my daughter to/from her dance classes this evening, and I travel on a four-lane highway that is surrounded by open farmland. Winds are blowing about 30mph with gusts up to 40.

I could hardly feel the wind while driving. Very little 'sway', and she hugged the road like a champ. I felt very safe and secure, even at highway speeds.

Just one more reason why I love this vehicle.
  • Options
    Road hugging weight! Like a good 'ol LTD with plood on the sides! Cat 2 storm with Cat 5 hype, though.

Go Pacifica! Go Edmunds!
  • Options
    davethewave1davethewave1 Member Posts: 26
    Sorry but what is CU???