Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus IS 350 and IS 250

Comments

• Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    Not always. Like I said, the 4.2 V8 I'm looking at is at 18/24 auto and 15/21 manual (both six-speed).
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    that is stange, and quite disappointing. Generally, when the manual gets lower mileage, it's because it is geared real short (so it will be buzzy on the highway). If Lexus did that, even with a 6 speed (that is, no cruising gear), I for one shall be ticked.

But, usually it is 1-2 mpg, generally more noticeable on the highway test. I have never seen a 4 mpg difference in the city test though (20 stick, 24 AT). That makes little sense to me.

I would guess that real world the stick will do better, but who knows.

Heck, the 350 & the 250 AWD both have better city numbers than the stick! This thing may actually be geared shorter than the TSX< which is hard to do.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    justconvincedjustconvinced Member Posts: 28
    Lenscap,

At the dealer, they were saying that XM is currently the only option, and that if I wanted Sirius (which I already subscribe to), I would have to get it aftermarket. The understanding I had is that the XM antenna is integrated.

Regarding the back seat, it is cramped (I am 5'7") if the driver seat is all the way back. So good, that means no will want to ride with me ;) .

The matador red actually looks nice in person, and not burgundy. Not fire engine, though, so it is a little subdued.

wale, it is my understanding that the sport suspension will have metallic trim. I prefer that or the grey wood trim, personally.

I'd also like to see a wood steering wheel option like the GS.

jC
  • Options
    billinsobebillinsobe Member Posts: 47
    There is only going to be one wood tone for the 2006 IS, meaning there isn't a grey wood.

The colors on the website don't do them justice. You really need to see them in person.
  • Options
    minarets1minarets1 Member Posts: 49
    everything i read i want about this car. good looks, fun factor, HP, nice interior, good gas mailage and a great audio system. what more could one ask for?

well, i also want/need to carry 4 people comfortably. right now it is just me and my wife, but she is 7 months pregnant with our 1st. yeah, that prolly buy me 7 years of "little person" in the backseat, but what if i would like to drive to lunch from work, with the guys?

i donmt know. i have never been a coupe fan. i want 4 realworld seats. the G35 has the most room back there from what i have experienced. when i test drive cars, which is about every other weekend, first thing i do is adjust the drivers seat and then sit right behind to see how (un)comfortable it is. the TL is decent as well.

the 330i was a little cramped bt enough room for your feet to sit under the chair that once your in, its ok...just getting in and out were a pain. i am 6' but 240lbs...big dude. i fear the IS will lack the one thing i want that isnt on the list. :cry:
  • Options
    oacoac Member Posts: 1,594
    You certainly have come out of your lurking mode real strong on this board. Is it the anticipation or is it that you just cannot hold it any longer ? Just wondering....Of course, your contributions are always so interesting and fun. Think a forest green color has a market here ? Me, do not think so. Besides, don't try to re-sell that puppy since no one will want one, as its trade-in value takes a hit as well. Since you don't care for silver or black, how 'bout onyx blue ? that would look outstanding on the IS, imo.
  • Options
    Just a burst until the conversation turns back to silly kow-towing before the altar of Lexus. It's nice to actually hear feedback that isn't all along the lines of "Lexus built it, it must be perfect", but rather evaluates details with mixed praise and criticism. Refreshing.

Actually, as we get closer and more concrete is poured, it's a more interesting and multi-faceted conversation. Seat time is near and I won't have to go to a Lexus sales pitch to get it. Golf swing analysis indeed!

I couldn't care less if green of any kind has a resale value. I don't pick vehicles based on resale anyway. A car is a losing proposition no matter how you slice it, and at the end of any extended ownership period they're virtually all depreciated by the same percentage of actual purchase price or very very close. Since I can lease to my own tax advantage, I do so, and therefore the resale multiplier of my color choice is of zero concern. Also I get bored easily, and a 36-39 month turn is nice.

I'm in a silver car now because I took delivery from dealer stock, which I doubt I will ever do again. There's nothing wrong with silver per se, except that in any form, whether it's Dolphin Gray or Flint Mica or any of the range between, it's all even more boring than white. And I like white! Black looks very cool, but I'd bet dollars to doughnuts most people who like black never owned black before! It's a pain.

Unfortunately, I don't see a blue in the mix I like. Bluestone (a bit lighter) would have been a possibility. Of the whole palette available, so far white seems freshest to me.

Actually, Onyx with a "cashmere" interior might indeed be snappy. I'll have to see it in person. Web sites can only do a color just so much justice (very little really).
  • Options
    Thanks.

Metal would definitely be preferable for me. Having seen Audi's aluminum trim with both their grey and beige leather interiors, it's just a much more pleasing texture, IMO. It makes things look less busy/fussy. I'm not a carbon fiber kind of guy really (my baseball caps are rarely worn, and never backwards!), but I have seen one or two tasteful CF interiors recently that I would take over wood in a heartbeat.

Grey wood would be an improvement over brown though, I think.
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    That weird purple kinda works for me on the A3. It's super expensive though.

The IS350 colors are pretty much standard bland Japanese colors. Not sure why Lexus/Acura/Infiniti are opposed to colors.
  • Options
    "Not sure why Lexus/Acura/Infiniti are opposed to colors..."

Reference all above posts about such primary focus items as "resale" and "reliability" and the like, and you'll find the color selection fits the form to a tee. Apparently there is safety in banality!

I also like the copper color that Lexus had for the '01 IS, which is very close to Infiniti's and Mazda's. It's on its way out once again now, but I've liked it since the 70's when I first saw it on a 911T.

Were they to offer Solar Yelow, I think I'd have to put the IS back on the list for real. May make it there after a test drive; who knows?
    ;-]
  • Options
    I just went back to Audi site. I'd have to see the color in the metal, but here's the rub: it's not available to dealers for stock orders, so chances of seeing it for real are slim. Customer order only. And $750 for a color is ludicrous! The Murano green is very appealing to me, but $750 and sight unseen?

Audi is verging on pricing themselves out of the segment I think...
  • Options
    legarlegar Member Posts: 71
    I still hope those numbers for a are wrong. According to Lexus the manual is mostly for European drivers and few Americans are expected to by one. With the high gas prices in Europe, a European driver is better of buying an automatic. Just doesnt make any sense to me.
  • Options
    well, i'm used to $500 for a metallic, so 750 is not a big stretch if I dig it.

Actually, i may go frigidaire white with the A3/e90/IS350. Something about that stark white has always appealled to me and yet I always end up with dark cars...gray, black, dark blue, dark green, silver-gray.
  • Options
    jmessjmess Member Posts: 677
    Wale, your sprint guide is pointing you at the V8. As a recent convert I can attest that even a push rod version with 400 HP easily gets 22 MPG at very illegal speeds. The major league torque also puts a smile on your face. I have never had so much fun going from zero to the speed limit.
  • Options
    is3ooguyis3ooguy Member Posts: 68
    Went to an intro of the new IS250/350 in Toronto, ON last night. Nice event! Free drinks, some food, and they also gave us a bag of parting gifts.
    As for the car, I liked it. I wasn't blown away or anything (that might come from driving the IS350) but it was a solid looking car and an improvement over the last-gen IS.
    2 things that surprised me though....
    1) Th trunk still has the hinges that go into the truck and take up space. How cheap! Sure they are covered but why still use them?
    2) Okay, I know we have all heard it by now about the back seat but WOW! I couldn't believe how cramped it was (I'm 5'11", 165Ibs.). And no my feet wouldn't go under the front seats. Then I made sure I sat in the front seat. Sure, I had enough room but I wouldn't say any extra were I would/could more the seat up to give more to the back.
    I have a 2003 IS300 and as strange as it sounds, it HONESTLY felt like it had more room to spare in the rear seats. I'm going to be interested in hearing what others think about the rear seat in the new IS as more and more get to check it out for themselves.
    Btw... on a side note today is my last day with my IS, it gets traded in on a 330i today. i hope I made the right choice! The IS350 does look like a sweet ride... just make sure to check out that backseat if you ever plan to use it ;)
  • Options
    150mphclub150mphclub Member Posts: 316
    the european drivers are going to buy the diesel model, which is not available in the states.
  • Options
    Tee hee! Good to see you again, John! No replacement for displacement, eh? Good to know you're applying that heavy metal responsibly. ;-]

With all the talk of rear-seat squeeze, something that has not affected my family in our SportCross, BTW, it makes me wonder where the extra inches ended up?? Do people really make a judgement on a sport sedan based on carrying four adults long distance though? Seems silly to me. Most folks I know have another car in the house that handles the full-boat, long haul travel, and the compact sport sedan sees daily duty as a one-person (maybe two if you carpool) hauler.

As for the odd excursion with three of your pals, I can fit all adults for a jaunt to lunch and back, or even a quick trip over to Candlestick (sorry; Monster Park!) for a game just fine. At 6' even and 178, I ain't exactly small either...
  • Options
    Agreed. You don't buy this type of car for the rear seat but it is nicer to have than not.
    Where did the extra room go? The front seats! They are huge. Very comfy though....
  • Options
    I dunno, guy, at that price, we're closing in on a Porsche paint price! Okay, maybe not that bad, but still it's a car and it has to have paint, and I seriously doubt it cost the mfr that much more to dump a little flake in there!

Some of these new models with their slab-side and hard edge stying do seem freshest to me in white. Somehow it softens the shape, which for me is a good thing. Also I've lived with white long-term, and it's an easy color to maintain. Unless you live in a red-dust region, it hides the particulate pretty well, and minor scratches and swirls are much harder to see. Also (especially for you) it definitely repels solar assaults more effectively than any darker color can.

The IS white looks like a nice one, but my favorite this year is definitely Cool Vanilla from Mopar. Makes me hungy...
  • Options
    Agreed that it's a nice to have, but I think pursuit of that one dimension (needlessly, IMO) is pushing the segment out of its own envelope, and sticking us all with cars bulkier than they need be. Reality is for most folks (most, that is) that if they're going to have four in their sedan on a regular basis, two of them will be smaller of staure, lesser of age, and relegated to the back seat along with their Nintendo DS's and their PSP's!
    ;-]
  • Options
    agreed Wale that most commonly it will be the kids. But, for me, could still be a problem, since my son is now in HS (he's 14s), and getting larger, plus there are friends to consider. My daughter is only 9, so she should fit anywhere for a while!

They don't need a ton of room, but still the back seat needs to be usable, at least for shorter trips.

And if a 4 door isn't going to have enough room for normal size passengers in the rear seat, it shouldn't weigh 3,500#s! cars are becoming quite porky these days.

• Options
    Makes sense, stickguy. Although with a 14 yr-old male, your prime concerns are probably more likely grocery capacity and college funding! :-]

Question is how big is enough? I sure as heck don't want to get into G35 territory, that thing is a monster; more at the size of a GS.
  • Options
    ckelly14ckelly14 Member Posts: 105
    How was the headroom? The GS is a bit tight for me....
  • Options
    Headroom was fine. Not really much to spare but it was fine. The problem is with the legroom, or lack there of.
    I'm with you again Wale_bate1... I don't want something the size of a G35 either. My thought is the new 3-series hit the sweet spot for most, including me.
  • Options
    Lest we all forget, this car is a compact sport-luxury car. For a luxury-inclined car that can sit 4 adults in relative comfort, you'd be at the G, TL, RL, 5-series, and higher category. Sport-compact sedans are by definition meant for 1 or 2 people, and kids when necessary/if necessary.
  • Options
    That's pretty close to my thought, although I'd say you're really talking 2+2 there. I think by definition a sport sedan should be able to carry four adults when it must, but by no means for long distances or in any sort of lounging style. In a sport sedan, the rear seat should be more afterthought than primary concern, IMO.

As long as my compadres can fit their pugs full on the floor and aren't eating their knees for breakfast, then mission accomplished. If they have issues with cheek-merging, well, they'll just have to learn to deal with their own insecurities by themselves...
    ;-]
  • Options
    Spin it however you guys want but remeber this...
    For about the same exterior size the 3 seems to be MUCH roomier. Something is kinda off in the space with the Lexus IS, same for the GS.
    When you can try it for yourselves and let me know your thoughts...
    And with that I promise to stop going on about the rear seat of the new IS ;)
  • Options
    mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    I would rather enjoy the front room and smooth, sexy style of the IS 350 and not worry about how some people might be cramped in the back seat of my IS (but if I want to sit in the back seat with a special someone, front seats can be pushed up) than have a more spacious back seat at the cost of a fugly front seat cockpit view that I will be spending the majority of my time with. Long sentence, yea I know. :P
  • Options
    Hmmmm, OTOH, nothing screws up a sporty cockpit more than oodles of plastic dash and wide-butt seats. A sporty cockpit should be close and deliberate, like a great pair of gloves, with everything related to driving in perfect view and easy reach. Ever been in a current ES front seat? Precisely the feel to avoid! It's like driving a hangar to work. [blecch]

Any of our recent event-goers care to compare/contrast? I mean, I'll get in there soon enough, but is it still a nicely spaced driver's feel?
  • Options
    Yes. I have! I just test drove one out of curiosity's sake last Tuesday at my local Lexus dealer. Nice car. However, i feel like I'm sitting on the seat of a couch or something, not a "driver's" seat; comfortable though. The GS seats are actually quite nice and the attention to detail on the design/upholstery is immaculate!... Umm, I mean pretty damn awesome.
  • Options
    Who is going to buy the manual? I would if it got better mileage, also I doubt that there would be any available at the local dealerships.
  • Options
    If I - for reasons beyond my ken - opted for an IS250, I'd get the manual regardless of mileage. The choice between fun v. utter boredom, mixed with insanely expensive repairs isn't tough.

And why is it so many of the lexus fans abhor ordering a car? If it's not on the lot, negotiate the price and prder the car. Why is that such a bad thing? I'd rather get exactly what I want than what the dealership picked out to maximize their profits.

If you guys ever go to buy a porsche, an amg or say an aston/ferrari, are you expecting to walk in, buy the car and drive home that day with it?
  • Options
    If I am not getting my car the way I like it then I will order. My Lexus dealer would surely prepare the car the way I want it. Definitely the best dealership in the city by far.
  • Options
    If you lease cars like I do, you get what the dealerships have. So if they dont have a manual, I am afraid I am going to have to go for an Audi or a BMW.
  • Options
    If you lease cars like I do, you get what the dealerships have. So if they dont have a manual, I am afraid I am going to have to go for an Audi or a BMW.

Uh, no...many, many people lease and order their cars. In fact i know people who lease and do european delivery on BMWs. Heck some people simply order to the dealership and lease.

I don't know where you get the idea leased cars can't be ordered but that's flat out wrong
  • Options
    just don't go in the same day you turn in your last lease. Order it a couple of months ahead.

• Options
    Affirmative. Leasing and ordering go hand in hand.

What is far less common is leasing and prices negotiated below sticker. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's certainly not common. By negotiating the lease terms, between money factors, residuals, deposits and a few other elements, the actual cost can be revised quite bit.

That's one of the reasons some mfrs will offer killer subsidized leases, like Lexus did on my '03 SportCross. It allows them to drive sales via substantial discounts without actually dropping published prices or playing cash-incentivoply.

I don't think quite as highly of my local Lexus dealer as mike does (frankly the Chrysler dealership is every bit as good), but in the absence of locating the desired car, they certainly would not decline to order. That is assuming they have no allocation issues for that model...
  • Options
    What is far less common is leasing and prices negotiated below sticker. Not saying it doesn't happen, but it's certainly not common. By negotiating the lease terms, between money factors, residuals, deposits and a few other elements, the actual cost can be revised quite bit.

What? I negotiate every aspect of a lease. Always, always, always negotiate the price of the car first. Then work on the money factor. Residual is tough to get raised.

www.leaseguide.com

That's one of the reasons some mfrs will offer killer subsidized leases, like Lexus did on my '03 SportCross. It allows them to drive sales via substantial discounts without actually dropping published prices or playing cash-incentivoply.

Yeah but if they're giving you a MF on a Lexus of 0.0012, then negotiating 2k off the sale price will lower your payments by thousands.

For instance:
    a 36k IS with an MF of 0.0010 and a residual of 58% over 36 months and 7.75% tax
    If you don't negotiate the price of the car you've got a scary big payment of $513.84.

Negotiate just 2k off the MSRP (cap cost of 34000) price of the car and your payment drops to $451.

Always negotiate the cost of the car and the MF. Always. Even when there's an advertised special.

Hell, I pay less than $500 a month on my lease (3 year 45k miles) of a 330i (43k msrp). I negotiated everything. And that was without a downpayment.
  • Options
    There is a fine line between a luxury sport-sedan, and a sports car, eh ? The latter should be exactly as you described it, with a true cockpit-like seat and driving position. OTOH, the former should embody such to an extent, but should also have luxury features to distinguish it from the pedestrian (lower end) and the true sporty car (higher end). This is the class we are looking at here.

Wood trims, leather seating, Nav, ML, keyless go, bluetooth, etc are hallmarks of luxury, which should complement the sporty feel of these cars...These cars are NOT sport cars per se... So I am more inclined to forgive the class if they don't drive like a Porsche, or Ferrari....That's not their mission or purpose or goal, imo
  • Options
    All sage advice.

I certainly never said don't try, and I never said it doesn't happen!

My situation involved some negative equity on a trade, and that was handled in a highly satisfactory way when all was said and done.
  • Options
    We seem to be arriving at points close by, but from completely opposite directions.

IMO, if you are going to market a car as your sport sedan entry from a lux marque (as indeed they have), then the sport should be first and foremost, and the materials and amenities should complete the luxury part of the package.

Otherwise, you're basically using sporty cues to butch up a tart, IMO. Without having sat in the car I can't possibly say, but if in fact it's a GS interior in a smaller package, then it will have erred to the lux side of the equation. For now, I'll give them the benefit of the doubt, though with great skepticism...
    ;-]
  • Options
    The service I received at the Chrysler dealership on the same day I visited the Lexus dealership was completely opposite. They were more so of snobs to me than the Lexus dealer. :surprise:

The Lexus salespeople look at you as long-term clients whereas the Chrysler/Dodge salespeople looked at me like someone who could not afford a $50K CND car so they should not treat me like a customer (I am 19 years old). On my Lexus test drive I went by myself. On the Chrysler drive he demanded that he come along for the ride and insisted that I drive on the main, boring roads and that driving at a constant speed would give me an idea of the performance or characteristics of the 300C without goosing the throttle or taking tight turns.... Bahhh.... Give me a break, what is the car, a Bentley? The 300C are dime a dozen! Like no one has ever floored the gas pedal in their car! I prefer the Lexus experience, they are much less snobs than the Chrysler dealership (at least in my city).
  • Options
    The 300c is a dime a dozen? Must be the area as BMWs/Lexus/MBs are so common here you're not gonna raise an eyebrow with anything less than a Lambo/Ferrari.
  • Options
    We're on the same page except that you misunderstand what I am implying. Lexus's are umm... usually... umm better quality than a, uh....... Chrysler. The point made was that a Lexus is usually a higher-end vehicle. Argue still if you must.

I'm sure there are some people who look at a Ferrari and say,"This is nothing compared to my Stealth that I fly at work, but it's nice nonetheless."

There is always something better than something else.
  • Options
    I thought you were pointing to ubiquity. :D
  • Options
    This is why I said "my" Lexus dealer, and my "local" Chrysler shop. They're not all equal. I remain thoroughly unimpressed by my Lexus shop. Much of that may be the hype attached to the brand, and perhaps I'm expecting too much.

OTOH, my Chrysler shop has always exceeded my expectations. And to be fair, perhaps that's because those expectations weren't particularly high to begin with.

Still, with an ability to compare them during the same ownership cycle, I'm not blown away by legendary Lexus service.
    :-[

Back to IS matters: one of the things I like about my car is that the seldom-used NAV folds down when not in use. I like that. There's a kind of Star Trek (Shatner era that is) coolness to the disappearing monitor. Does anybody feel the placement in the dash is an improvement?
  • Options
    ben833ben833 Member Posts: 12
    Why negotiate the cost of the car vs. the monthly payment? With a lease, usually you're most concerned with what you pay monthly. It would take a while for you to calculate the cap cost every time you want to make a counter-offer. :confuse:

Relating to the IS discussion... how do you think the residual values are going to be? The G35x has a 58% residual for 36 months, 15k miles/year. How will the IS compare?
  • Options
    I dont know, but I have been told many times at dealerships that they could not order a car for me, obviously I dont believe them. I know it is because they want to take my money as soon as possible and not bother ordering a car. But if every dealership I go to tries to do that, I dont really have a choice but take a car they have available. I always negotiate the price though, and it is actually easier to get a good deal on a car that they already have at the dealership and want to get rid of.
  • Options
    ben833ben833 Member Posts: 12
    I went inside an IS350 at the US Open a few weeks ago. The seats were very comfortable. They weren't plush like a couch. The seat was a tightly upholstered cushion that almost felt bouncy. They were pretty well defined bucket seats so it kind of forces you to sit in the center. Much softer than the G35, which feels more sport-car-like than luxurious.
  • Options
    A 325i/330 has a residual somewhere around 60%. So I think the '06 IS250/350 should have a very high residual around 60 percent if not higher.