Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Lexus IS 350 and IS 250

Comments

• Options
    waydewayde Member Posts: 198
    kinda just teasin....
    I drove a new 325i auto last week and i was... VERY impressed!!! and it takes ALOT to impress me. it was auto/roof/htd seats and thats it... swweeeeet ride.
    I told the BMW guy I couldn't make a decision until I test drove the new IS.
    I'm on the waiting list at Lexus of Wayzata (in Minneapolis)
  • Options
    wale_bate1wale_bate1 Member Posts: 1,982
    When I bought my SportCross, ordering wasn't an issue, but the lead time was 8-10 weeks. I have touched base with one or two other IS drivers who ordered over the past couple years, and 10 weeks was closer to the mark.

Not having seen a real option sheet, it's hard to speculate, but I'd be real surprised if they'd package allocation the way I'd want one.
  • Options
    mikegillermikegiller Member Posts: 602
    The only things I am interested in are: ML, HID, moonroof, heated/ventilated seats, staggered 18" wheels, and if it is possible to get this with a sports suspension, then that too, if not, kill the sport suspension.

I really wish they would make a bundle like that without all the other cr*p I don't want.

If ordering is a possibility, then would Lexus allow me to order just these features without having to order the features in a huge package with other things I do not want, or in other words, are the packages only applicable to on-the-lot dealer cars?

Does anybody else feel the same way?
  • Options
    blueguydotcomblueguydotcom Member Posts: 6,249
    I'd bet the packages are an all or nothing deal. seems to be something japanese companies like doing - honda, acura, mazda, nissan, infiniti, etc. If you want A you must get B and C.

I like ala carte!
  • Options
    There are stand alone options and packages. I'd assume there will be items you simply can't get without taking something else, a la not being able to get NAV in a 3-series without taking the I-Drive.

I would be surprised if the staggered set-up (a necessity in my book) is available as stand alone. My assumption is that it would be part of a "sport package" including suspension upgrade and trim of some kind. Possibly the roof would be part of a "convenience" or "comfort" or some other ya-ya package.

For me, I have zero need for a sound system upgrade, don't need the xenons, HVAC'd seats are useless to me, prefer not to have VDIM, PCS or DRCC, would want leather, would definitely require sport suspension and staggered, wider rubber, would take a moonroof but wouldn't insist on it.

I don't remember what all else is on there, but that's off the top o' me head.
  • Options
    Uh, that salesguy = worthless. There are two models now.
  • Options
    legarlegar Member Posts: 71
    And if lexus wants to lure people to the IS250 they better start it at sub 30k as the car has no standard features and a small engine.

No standard features? you sound like the car already came out and you know exactly what packages and standard features are going to be on it.
    From what I have seen from the press releases even with 1 package the car has almost everything it needs.

Also doesnt a V6 and RWD cost more then an I -4 and FWD regardless of the features.
  • Options
    18s are actually a stand-alone option, just for the rims though. A set of 18s for the front are $863.00 CAN as well as $863.00 for the rears
  • Options
    neocortexneocortex Member Posts: 22
    I spoke to one of the fleet dealers in southern california and all indications point to the IS 250 will be priced very closely to the current IS 300. His thoughts on the IS 350 would be high 30's for a base model, low 40's w/ some premium packages and mid 40's w/ Nav, etc.

I'm hoping for $40 even on a fully loaded w/ nav and think if Lexus can meet this mark that they'll be in route for a killing against a 330. I can dream can't I?
  • Options
    vrscvrsc Member Posts: 12
    If so please post some highlighted info.
  • Options
    No standard features? you sound like the car already came out and you know exactly what packages and standard features are going to be on it.

Actually all of that has been established. Pricing is the only question.

From what I have seen from the press releases even with 1 package the car has almost everything it needs.

To each his own.

Also doesnt a V6 and RWD cost more then an I -4 and FWD regardless of the features.

No. Mustang GT 25-26k. Chrysler 300 24k

.A4, TSX, Saab are more expensive and are FWD I4s.
  • Options
    Yes, please post comments & learnings.

Host - will the transcript of the chat be posted anywhere? When?
  • Options
    Did anyone sit in on the chat advertised all over this forum? Like wayde, I'd also like to see the transcripts.
  • Options
    SylviaSylvia Member Posts: 1,636
    The chat was great! Mr. Carter gave out exclusive information. We'll be working hard to get the transcript up on the site soon!
  • Options
    No. Mustang GT 25-26k. Chrysler 300 24k

.A4, TSX, Saab are more expensive and are FWD I4s.

you cant compare those cars in terms of luxury. I think it makes perfect sense that a bigger engine and suspension cost more. Ford and Chrystler obviously cut cost some how to keep the prices lower.

Actually all of that has been established. Pricing is the only question.

So what are the standard features again? dont tell me they were posted earlier on this forum because I searched the internet all over and could not find them.
  • Options
    hyperlitehyperlite Member Posts: 3
    What are the two models then I must have missed somthing ?
    I was pretty sure that you can get the IS 250 in AWD and in RWD?
    Also what package comes with everything you need?
    I must have missed somthing fill me in on some info.
  • Options
    All I know for sure about this car can be found on the Lexus.com Website, the rest is speculation that was posted earlier on this forum

FACT

You can get the IS 250 in RWD( the only IS available with manual) and AWD.
    IS 350 comes with a 6 speed auto RWD ONLY ( with shift pedals on the steering wheel)

THIS HAS BEEN POSTED EARLIER AND MAY OR MAY NOT BE TRUE:

Premium Package (RWD only)
    - Leather trim
    - 10-way power seats
    - Leather console
    - Rear armrest storage

Premium Plus Package
    - Perforated leather trim
    - Heated/ventilated seats
    - 10-way power seats
    - Leather console
    - Rear armrest storage
    - Wood interior trim

Performance Luxury Plus Package (RWD only)
    - 10-way power seats
    - Leather console
    - Rear armrest storage
    - Mirror functions (electrochromic, memory, reverse tilt-down)
    - 18” wheels
    - Sport suspension
    - Sport pedals
    - Metal scuff plates
    - Driver’s and front passenger’s seat memory
    - HID/AFS (Adaptive Front-lighting System) headlamps
    - Rain-sensing wipers
    - Power tilt/telescoping steering wheel with memory

Premium Luxury Plus Package
    - 10-way power seats
    - Leather console
    - Rear armrest storage
    - Mirror functions (electrochromic, memory, reverse tilt-down)
    - 17” or 18” wheels
    - Illuminated metal scuff plates
    - Wood interior trim
    - Power rear sunshade
    - Driver’s and front passenger’s seat memory
    - HID/AFS (Adaptive Front-lighting System) headlamps
    - Rain-sensing wipers
    - Power tilt/telescoping steering wheel with memory

Mark Levinson Audio System with Navigation
    - Mark Levinson audio
    - Navigation system (voice activation, rear back-up camera, bluetooth)

Navigation System
    - Voice activation
    - Rear backup camera
    - Bluetooth

Park Assist

Pre-Collision System (PCS) with Dynamic Radar Cruise Control (A/T only)

Headlamp Washers (requires HID / AFS)

One-Touch Open/Close Moonroof with Rotary-Dial Switch

18” Wheels with Summer Tires (RWD only)
  • Options
    realthorrealthor Member Posts: 26
    The only news that came out of the live chat was that all new IS' will get leather, sunroof, and push start as standard equipment.
  • Options
    lbailylbaily Member Posts: 25
    He also said that the pricing would be available Oct. 11 and the cars would be on the lots officially on Oct. 17.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    Wow, we used to have to push start our old Dodge Omni sometimes, but we finally got a new battery! :blush:

actually, if leather and roof are standard, the only thing missing that I would want are power seats, so it looks like all I would have to add is the premium package (although would probably go with premium plus to get the heated/ac seats).

but, the comments from the chat guy contradict the packages listed if leather and roof are standard.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    Well, I suspect the reason the information seems contradictory is because Lexus made that info public (leather/sunroof standard) for the first time last night - I'm sure they have not yet updated their website.

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    Sorry - this is a dealer brochure this is not the consumer brochure.
  • Options
    I think that's crazy - announce prices 1 week before the 'official' on sale date?
    Even if the 17th is the official date, cars will be at the lots before then...
    Oh well, only 2 weeks left.
  • Options
    heejomanheejoman Member Posts: 33
    What is the price for the entry level IS250? Low 30s?

With its smaller engine will it be less expensive than the current IS300?

Options packages . . . I don't know much about performance but many things were standard with the IS300. Different for the IS 250/350?

But if IS 250 are over 30K, I may look into BMW 325s as they start out in the low 30s plus BMW's 50k service maintence (which gotta be worth something).

Yes, stripped down 325s are hard to find but my brother bought one (only additions were color and power seat) and still paid low 30s before TT&L.

Someone said it wouldn't make any financial sense for Lexus to sell a RWD V6 compact luxury car for such low (TSX's) prices. Will just about everything will be standard in the IS250?

Just my opinion but firm 28K or 29K is what I'm thinking of a reasonable starting price for the IS 250. Otherwise, I would consider Infiniti G35 and it's 3.5 liter engine for the same price.
  • Options
    Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,148
    If you look at the posts just above yours, you'll note that pricing has not yet been announced!

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• Options
    heejomanheejoman Member Posts: 33
    Bad timing on my part.

Make sure you don't put me in charge
    of any Hurricane evacuation/relief.
  • Options
    stickguystickguy Member Posts: 50,558
    just my WAG, but Lexus will probably put a low "teaser" base price, but make a couple of options that most people would consider required for this class (say, a power seat) part of an overpriced option package, that includes some more items that are more fluff, that you may not really want (or need).

The premium package listed above looks like that. 10 way power seats are good, but the rest is trim or stuff easy to live without (rear armrest storage, wood trim).

So, that 27K IS250 (TSX fighter) could easily end up being 32K if you want one or 2 key items added.

2020 Acura RDX tech SH-AWD, 2023 Maverick hybrid Lariat luxury package.

• Options
    The only news that came out of the live chat was that all new IS' will get leather, sunroof, and push start as standard equipment.

That's big news. Short of a sport package and xenons, I don't want anything else on my cars.
  • Options
    All those magazines that released reviews of the IS 250/350 back in August and early September as if they knew exactly what the car is going to be like.

Here we are 3 weeks before release and we don't even know for sure how much the car is going to cost and what will be on the standard features list and what will be on the options list.

I guess they are all going to have to rewrite those reviews. I mean the biggest argument in my opinion to rate a G35 higher then a BMW is the price, but these reviews put the IS below the BMW before they even knew how much the IS was going to cost.
  • Options
    Umm.. what about a manual. :P

I do believe that the IS 350 has leather as standard, however the 250 has fabric seats standard.

Really lookin forward to this car. I do believe that a test drive of every model (250 RWD M6/A6, 250 AWD, 350 RWD) to see which one is the best bargain for me. I hope ventilated seats are an option on the 250 while still getting MT, ML, and sport suspension? Only time will tell.
  • Options
    I am actually looking forward to the heated/ventilated seats :D
  • Options
    bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Taste of Lexus is coming to Chicago. Questions for those who attended in New York and elsewhere:

What other cars do they have there for test drives besides the BMW330? and the I350? Other Lexus cars? The GS, LS?

How long can you stay? Do they chase you out after a half hour or so and let the next batch in?

No salesmen hassling people? ("What do I have to do to put you in a Lexus today?")
  • Options
    Umm.. what about a manual.

I've read very positive things about the IS250 manual. i'm open-minded enough to try it. That's assuming it starts at 27-28k with leather, moon, etc. I didn't know I hated the e46 325i until I got seat time in it.
  • Options
    Very good point. That would be a good review if money was no option and if repairs did not matter, as well as (what would a normal person like to be driving if they aren't peeling out of canyon hairpin turns 24/7, or even are because we would all love to) comfort. If having a car that runs matters to you then an IS looks like a safe choice.

Sometimes I wonder if the Mag editors live in some sort of secret society/land (on the other side of the rainbow) that regular people are not aware of.

If the IS undercuts the 3 by a few grand then this changes a lot. Even if the IS is the same price as the 3, if the IS performs well in my opinion (even if it loses a little bit of points in steering feel compared to the 3), that is, be a bargain, have adequate HP :D, handles just about everything I can throw at it (no doubt that it won't), has the luxury, and is even more good lookin in person as it is in the pictures, it is a winner in my mind.

Only time will tell.
  • Options
    I wanna see how consumer guide rates the IS, in my opinion they are usually more average driver oriented.
  • Options
    glenfordglenford Member Posts: 138
    I saw both 3 and 5-series BMW, plus some sort of Mercedes - didn't pay attention to which one. There may have been other cars..

EVERY Lexus car could be driven. SC, RX hybrid, GS in both models, IS in 250AWD and 350. ES... I don't think they missed any. It was nice the day I went in NY - they had the roof open on the SC (but the line was long).

I stayed a little over 2 hours. In fact, there is an exit questionnaire that asks how long you stayed and has boxes to check above 5 hours, I think. They do not chase you ever (until they close, I guess). They apparently just use entry times as pacing to keep the crowds manageable, and then let your level of interest dictate your length of stay.

No salespeople. "Spokesmodels", who know a certain amount about the cars, and "test track staff", plus at least an "expert" for several of the newer cars like the IS. The IS expert went off for me to track down the front/rear bias of power on the IS AWD (30/70 changing with conditions to 50/50). He then went to the trouble to find me (I had gone to drive a GS) to tell me the answer. Quite nice. Apparently at least some of the track folk and experts (including the one I spoke to) work at places like driving schools (race driving schools), so they are knowledgeable drivers, and interested in cars. The spokesmodels were what you would expect. (This is not a complaint, exactly.)

Also had spa services, putting school, and golf swing analysis, but I did not partake.

Everyone was very nice and helpful. You should have fun. Tim
  • Options
    Sorry - forgot...

There is a check-in process. You must sign a waiver (at least to drive, don't know about passengers). It was well-staffed and quick when I was there. There is also an orientation (which I dreaded). It turned out to be as short as humanly possible - on the order of "look at this map of the event, have fun, ask people wearing Lexus jackets for anything you need".

Food was acceptable, but light fare. If I consider that they were serving hundreds of people continuously, it was surprisingly fresh and tasty. (Versus limp and nasty). Tim
  • Options
    Can we dispel one urban legend here, Mike (not to pick on you; others have expressed it): you don't need to take any sport sedan to its limits, or even close, to appreciate the differences in driving dynamics that become that much more apparent at track speeds.

Those nuances are evident at moderate speeds and pushing it only amplifies the signal. So it isn't necessary at all to drive the thing full tilt to appreciate a real driver-oriented car.

I make the assumption (perhaps incorrectly) that someone looking at this class of cars is interested in the driving dynamics represented by the benchmarks, and inclusive in any serious RWD/AWD sport sedan. Otherwise, if it's really all about highways and around town comfortably, there are just too many other options out there for the money.

I think on pricing, if the 250 doesn't start cleanly under $30K, more at $28.5, there's little to recommend it over other options, unless you really love the look or something. I can see paying very close to either side of $40K for a seriously loaded 350; if they price it any lower than that, it will indeed be a blowout along the lines of the LS400 intro - too good to pass up.
  • Options
    Somewhat along the lines of what I am talking about. I mean to say that for most people, even enthusiasts (if you are a true car enthusiast, then a 3 or an IS in stock form isn't even their main "fun car"), a car that drives "immensely confident", as "one of the most capable sport sedans on the market" (so says Edmunds.com) is usually good enough especially when it goes out of its way in a luxury segment to offer more luxury than any of its competition could offer. In a sport luxury segment this is very appealing.

Car and Driver went on to say,"Every other car here sucks its dust."

For some, BMW handling is too good to pass on, even if it means the way it steers when some good samaritan is pushing it up a hill while the Beemer enthusiast is steering.

Some editors have said as well that the handling in the IS 350 is razor sharp. Some testers have said that the steering in the IS 300 was better than the IS 350, others said the 350's handling is now much better. Everyone has an opinion. No one car is meant for everyone, and that is exactly why there are so many companies.

We can only buy what's suited for us.

I find the Lexus compromise hardly a compromise at all at this time but time will tell.

:)
  • Options
    "Car and Driver went on to say,"Every other car here sucks its dust."

Let's not quote out of context here (heaven forefend!): that comment was about the acceleration.

It (350) goes like stink and stops on a dime. Granted. There's just so much more to the driving picture than that. As you say, we'll all have to see. And you're correct, there is room for an interpretation. If Clements hadn't said outright they were gunning for the 3-series, though, this conversation would be slightly modified...

BTW, the current IS brakes are without doubt the best I've ever experienced shy of Porsche. The ABS unit is another story, but the brakes are killer.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,383
    I do believe that the IS 350 has leather as standard, however the 250 has fabric seats standa

Not according to Bob Carter, last night...

He said that all models will have leather, sunroof and "smart start" standard...

regards,
    kyfdx
    Host-Prices Paid Forums

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    Wow... even in Canada? My salesman at Lexus Woodhaven in Winnipeg gave me their options list and it says that the 4 trims are black fabric (Standard on IS 250 RWD only) black leather, ivory, and grey. Also on the Lexus.Ca website you will find this (let's hope that Bob is right):

Standard

STEERING:
    3-spoke Steering Wheel
    Telescopic Steering Wheel
    Tilt Steering

CLIMATE CONTROL:
    Auto Air Conditioning with Dual Zone Control
    Soft-Touch Heater Controls
    Cabin Air Filter
    Rear Seat Heater Ducts

AUDIO:
    Lexus Premium Audio
    AM/FM CD with MP3/WMA Player
    In Dash 6-Disc CD Changer
    Audio Auxiliary Input Jack
    13 Speakers
    Steering Wheel Audio Controls
    Diversity Antenna
    Glass Imprinted Antenna

SEATS:
    Sport Fabric Seat Material
    Front Sport Seats
    Driver Seat Recline Adjustment
    Driver Seat Vertical Adjustment
    Headrest-Vertical
    Passenger Seat Recline
    Passenger Seat Vertical Adjustment
    Headrest-Vertical
    Rear Seat Adjustments: Headrest-Vertical
    Fold Down Centre Armrest with Pass-Through

WINDOW:
    Power Windows with Auto Up / Down for All Windows

INSTRUMENTATION:
    Multi Information Display
    Tachometer
    Outside Temperature Gauge
    Dual Trip Odometer

MIRRORS:
    Dual Illuminated Vanity Mirrors

TRIM:
    Leather Wrapped Steering Wheel
    Metallic Shift Knob
    Driver Footrest
    Centre Console With Armrest
    Metallic Dash Accents

TRUNK/CARGO:
    Cargo Mat
    Interior Trunk/Cargo Access

SECURITY:
    Power Door Locks
    Power Auto Door Lock with Shifter Activation (Auto Transmission Only)
    Key Lockout Protection

LIGHTS:
    Door Courtesy Lamps
    Glove Box Lamp
    Illuminated Ashtray

STORAGE:
    Front Centre Console Box
    Front Seat Back Pockets

FLOOR:
    Carpeting
    Carpet Floor Mats

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- ---------------------------

The 2006 Lexus IS Standard Features brochure is very much in line with what is printed on the Canadian Lexus website.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,383
    Oops.... forgot about Canada... is it still up there.. :blush:

Speaking of which.... Do you even get the IS350? He made it sound like that was US and Japan market only.... though, that may have been in reference to Europe.....

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    fcmiifcmii Member Posts: 1
    Has anyone heard more details regarding the is 430 hardtop convertible coupe? Will this be available for the 2006 model year?
  • Options
    petlpetl Member Posts: 610
    According to "Lexus.ca" all 3 models will be available in Canada.
  • Options
    dojo75dojo75 Member Posts: 9
    The sales manager at my dealership said that the IS hard top convertible coupe will be available next year FOR SURE. He could not confirm if it will be launched in the second or third quarter of 2006. Also, I am not sure if it is going to be called IS 350 or IS 430 model.
  • Options
    bartalk3bartalk3 Member Posts: 692
    Glenford,

Thanks for the description of the Taste of Lexus. Sounds like a lot of fun. Looking forward to it. Lexus is #1 in public relations, as well as in almost everything else.
  • Options
    lbailylbaily Member Posts: 25
    I am trying to figure out what my next automobile will be. I typically drive my cars for 100,000 miles to get my moneys worth. I want a sporty sedan to drive in the Washington, DC area. It's warm most of the time, but we're not surprised by snow. Should I buy the 250 AWD or the 350 RWD plus winter tires? I'm not swimming in cash so this is an important decision. I've been reading this forum for months and I haven't seen the answer. I drove the competitors and I'm not impressed. Do you have any suggestions?
  • Options
    Well, that's pretty open ended. Not sure anyone can answer for you, of course. I guess I'd add a RWD 250 to the mix, depending on exactly what "not swimming in cash means". Also depends on how much you care about AWD. I also drive my cars to 100K and up (usually). So, reliability is high on my list.

Reasonable, highly reliable sporty alternatives to me are Infiniti G35 (AWD or not), Acura TSX and TL. Subaru GT, maybe. Gas mileage nags at me (not for the money, or I would just buy a less expensive car).

After all the looking, I really like the IS250AWD - drove one, and will again. Waiting for pricing. They are small(ish). Big performance difference between the 250 and 350 - and probably a pretty good price difference. What's your $ limit?
  • Options
    killerbunnykillerbunny Member Posts: 141
    It (350) goes like stink and stops on a dime. Granted. There's just so much more to the driving picture than that.

Agree with the last sentence, but in a different way. I mean, there is indeed much more to the driving picture than acceleration and handling. There are reliability and cost effectiveness concerns. A car that breaks down at a magazine comparison test is simply out of contention, at least for me.