Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Camry Fuse and Electrical Questions

Comments

• kiawahkiawah Member Posts: 3,666
    1.) Crawl inside the trunk on your back, and look at the drivers side trunk hinge area. Wires for the trunk mounted lights runs thru there and over the years can wear if rubbing against the trunk hinge. Your cabling may be shorting. Make sure you don't lock yourself in.

2.) If that doesn't work, and if you have an ohmmeter, you can do some trouble shooting by measuring resistance to ground. Unplug the bulbs front and back, unplug where you can to see when problem goes away. It would be work, but doable.....and sounds like you are pretty handy.
  • imupaboveimupabove Member Posts: 67
    my fans work but i feel no air at all. only the sides i can feel air. on the driver's side i can feel a little and the passenger i feel more air blowing out. but the fans in the middle dont blow out air at all. all fans make that blowing noise, but i dont feel no air coming out from the middle fans.
    did you see my post about my fans? thank you.
    Yes, I saw it, but it's not something that I can fix remotely for you. Your vehicle appears to have a number of very significant major problems associated with it, which need a skilled technician to address. Trying to lead you thru remotely these complex issues is not a productive use of time. I just can't afford to spend the time.

The HVAC is a system, it has a number of parts that are all managed and work together to operate correctly. There is one fan, not multiple fans. There are a number of dampers (automated and manual) which control air flows. A damper to choose between outside air and recirculated air, an air mix damper to choose between hot and cold air, a heat damper to control air to the floor, and defroster damper to control air to the defroster, and a center vent damper. There are vacuum items, and electrical items. There is a mode servometer, obviously the blower switch, a heater control assembly, and air inlet servometer, and a A/C amplifier, in addition to the computer controls and other sensor inputs and resistors.

I could walk thru this and troubleshoot where the problem might be, but it could potentially take hours upon hours, particularly hard because it's not just identifying and fixing it, but since we're remote it's having to explain each piece and operation enough that you could go do it.....you having never done it before. Trying to explain how to tear the dash apart is not something easy to do remotely. It's not that it couldn't be done, it's just not at all practical or efficient use of anyone's time.

If you tear into it, look for correct operation of all of the dampers, and the mode servometer. You'll have to isolate whether it's a mechanical, vacuum, or electrical problem.

This would be a good candidate to pay to have someone who is trained, to locally fix it.
  • xramfnxramfn Member Posts: 9
    After my car sit all day at work, I got in it to drive home and my power windows didn't work or my dash instruments. Found 10 amp gauge fuse blew after I got home. replaced it and after driving for a few minutes , it blew again. And the battery died after a while and it is affecting the shifting in the trans now. I am sure it's all related by a ground or something. Any ideas? 1999 Camry CE with 145,000.
    Crawl in the trunk, lay down on your back, look up at the hinge area on the drivers side. Check to see if the wires are rubbing the metal frame, and have worn thru the insulation shorting out.

Make sure you don't lock yourself in.

This is a wear point that happens, if at some time the trunk was jammed full of stuff and moved the wiring around.

Let me know if this is your problem or not. If not, there are a couple different areas that I'll have you look into.
    I think I checked the wiring there, But I will check it again tomorrow. Thanks and I will get back to ya.
    im willing to take out the dash and see if i can do it on my own. id appreciate it you can walk me through it.
    Take it apart, and check that all the dampers are working correctly, and if not, why not (are they mechanically binding, electrically not getting a signal, electrically not responding to a signal, etc.

Air not coming out of a particular location, would be due to either that damper is closed when it is supposed to be open.....or the other dampers on the plenum are open when they are supposed to be closed (letting the air out of the plenum in the wrong spots). This is of course all dependent upon which mode is selected. Each air-outlet mode dictates a different set of air distribution pattern (face, bi-level, foot, foot/defroster, defroster).

Good luck.
    what are the dampers? when you say "check that all the dampers are working correctly", do you want me to take down the panel and turn the fans on and observe?
  • rantaylorrantaylor Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001 Camry that has developed the following problem:
    When I activate the turn signal, either direction, both flash.
    I am assuming it is the flasher or turn signal module, but where is it located?
    Also, approximately how much is one?
    Most likely going to be a bulb, much less probability a turn signal switch problem. The flasher has only one circuit thru it, and it is the turn signal switch which determines whether the right lights should be on, or the left lights.

Check your dual filament bulbs, to see if one of them has a broken filament which is laying across the 2nd filament.

Look carefully at the intensity of the blinking of the bulbs, front and back.

But also do one thing, push the 4 way flashers on, and then off again, just to make sure that switch isn't causing a problem.
    Ok. Checked the wiring in the trunk. All good. With fuse bad the back up lites are out. One other thing. After replacing the fuse and driving the car it acts like it won't shift and then after the fuse blows, within 2 minutes, it shifts fine. Is there something on the trans that might affect that fuse? I think the trans is electrically controlled ? I am close to panicking. I did buy a book with wiring diagrams and now I know I am screwed....Help.
    I am close to panicking. I did buy a book with wiring diagrams and now I know I am screwed....Help.

Hmmm.... Well, unfortunately that fuse controls/feeds a lot of different things, and is probably one of the more difficult fuses to narrow down the failing component. The good news is your problem isn't intermittent but fails quite frequently, so IF we can disconnect somethings there is a chance that you'll know what the problem is. Let's give this a try, as you may be lucky.

This circuit has connections to:
    - the ABS and traction control system
    - the backup light
    - charging
    - instrument panel gauge
    - cruise control
    - door locks
    - transmission control
    - headlight
    - key reminder and seat belt warning
    - light auto turn off
    - moon roof
    - power window
    - stop light
    - tail light

The diagnostic approach to start with, is similar to the million dollar pyramid. You will open up and eliminate other cases, to try and figure out what is in your case. So you can start disconnecting whatever you can from the circuit, and hopefully at some point the fuse will stop blowing. Assuming we can get to that point, you'd then know which piece of the above list is causing the problem. The difficulty here is that only some of these things are easy to get to.

The other thing that is important to try and figure out, is can you force it to fail, or recognize what happened when you recognize that it does fail. As an example, if you replace the fuse and start the vehicle, and it will run for hours without blowing the fuse....but then blows when you open the windows....then you suspect it is something related to the door window circuitry. You can then zero in much closer on that leg of the circuit.

Here's the approach that I'd suggest, but legal disclaimer is to 'not try any of this yourself at home, take it to the dealership, do anything at your own risk'.....
    - the backup light circuitry goes to a switch on the transmission, unplug that switch to eliminate it as a possible cause, see if the problem goes away. You could also meter it to ground to see if by some chance it is shorting out, but unplug it to be certain.
    - the transmission ECM circuit, actually goes thru the combo meter, and then to the speed sensor on the transmission. You can unplug the speed sensor on the transmission, to eliminate that.
    - the ABS circuit goes thru the combo meter, and then to the ABS/Traction control ECU. I don't know what happens if you unplug that ECU and try to drive.
    - the charging circuit goes thru the ignition switch when the key is in the ign position, and energizes the control circuitry in the alternator. Nothing you can unplug here.
    - the Combo meter, I'd probably leave this as one of the last things to try and unplug.
    - Door Lock, Key Reminder, Light Auto Turn off, Moon Roof, and Power window circuitry. The linkage to all of this stuff is thru the 'integration relay'. I'd pull that relay out. It's on the backside of the fuse box by the drivers left knee (actually if you consider the fuses are on the rear side if vehicle, the integration is on the front side of vehicle). They call this a relay, but it is a little mini-computer which 'integrates' a lot of different sensors and functions, mainly in the area of what other manufactures call 'body control'......ie control of passenger convenience items.
    - Engine control circuit, main engine computer, obviously can't unplug that.
    - Stoplight and taillight circuitry, the connection here goes to the combo meter where there is a little bit of circuitry which detects if there is a failing light. I believe there is a connector, but obviously tough to get to.
    - Headlight w/DRL circuitry goes to the DRL relays, as well as the combination meter brake sensor light (has a junction connector). I'd pull all the DRL relays out of their junction blocks, and leave the combo meter to last. Those relays are up in the engine compartment boxes.

So there are a couple of things that you can easily unplug on the first pass, to see if you can eliminate them as the cause....or prove that one of them is. A couple more that are a little harder to get to.

I don't know if the dealership has any special type of test programs or computer that they can plug in and isolate to find this. I suspect there would have to be a self diagnostic of some sort for the engine computer, but anything beyond that I don't know. If any of this stuff scares you, then this may be a problem best resolved by the dealership.

Good luck!
    I am not sure who you are ! But, God love ya. Thank you for taking the time to reply to my problem. You have helped me so much. I now have a plan to find my problem and when I do I will let you know and maybe I could help someone else. Great web site for car issues. Thanks again kiawah.
    P.S. I did just replace the two headlites because the brackets were broken and there was no way to adjust them. I wonder.
    Headlight adjustment is an easy question to answer.

Open the hood, look on the back-top of the headlight. I know for a fact there is a vertical adjustment. It's about a 1/4 of the way across the bulb, from the outside edge of the light where it is close to the fender...toward the inside edge of the bulb which is on the inside by the radiator. I don't remember whether a right/left adjustment but many vehicles have both. This may be written up in your owners manual, be sure to check there if the adjustment screw isn't obvious.

Did you have this gauge fuse blowing problem PRIOR to your headlight problem? Just wondering if some coincidence, since the DRL relays are on that gauge circuit.

Actually, that leads to a related question for you on your gauge problem. Is there anything that happened recently in your vehicles history, that may provide a clue as to an area that you should focus in? e.g. Something else stopped working, something was replaced, etc.
    It was my daughter's car and the car had some minor front end damage. Front bumper replaced, I replaced the headlights because the adjustments were broken on the old lights. I replaced them shorty before this all started, but figured it's not connected to my current issue, because they seem to work fine. I may be wrong. I also had the windshield replaced because of rock damage.
    Might want to focus initial efforts around the two sensors on the transmission (and the wiring to those sensors), as well as the wiring to the relay block where the DRL relays are. Those are the gauge circuit items that are up front in the engine compartment, IIRC.
    please bare with me here .. ..

i havnt opened the dash panel yet because its too darn hot to work on it. i will do it asap possible on a cooler day.

so your strongly suggesting to take out the dash panel first right?

"Air not coming out of a particular location, would be due to either that damper is closed when it is supposed to be open.....or the other dampers on the plenum are open when they are supposed to be closed (letting the air out of the plenum in the wrong spots)"

when i completely remove the panel, what am i suppose to look at, i know the middle vents area but what suppose to go into where? you know what i mean? can you walk me through the trouble shooting.

thank you.
    so your strongly suggesting to take out the dash panel first right?

No.......... I am strongly suggesting that you don't attempt this repair on your own. You don't have any experience in this, you don't have any factory manuals to guide you on disassembly or reassembly, and I don't have time to walk you thru it or the diagnosis of trying to find the problem. I think it's a recipe for disaster. You have a very real possibility of breaking more than you fix.

Know when to hold them, and know when to fold them! Technology is not at the point yet where you can do DIY heart surgery.
    heart broken :[.
    can you at least tell me or give me any tips on how to remove the panel? please.
    This could probably help

Try searching the internet, you may find other companies as well.
    you got to pay for that site :[.
    Correct, it's $15 bucks for 2 days access.
    Replaced the fuse and ran the car in place for 20 minutes with no problems. I will start looking at some things.
    okay. i took out the fron panel and i was able to see behind the air control knob (face, bi-face,feet etc) and it is connected. but i didnt check the other end of the cable because i couldnt pull it out entirely.
    how come no one is replying :[????
  • rantaylorrantaylor Member Posts: 2
    Thanks a bunch for the suggestions.
    I stopped by the dealer and the service manager asked if it had been wrecked (and it had). So he said there may also be a problem with the wiring from that accident that is just now showing it's head. He wanted to start with diagnostics and go from there.
    But, I decided to troubleshoot myself. I located the flasher unit behind the kick plate on the driver's side. I took the flasher out and popped the cover off and found a diode burned. So I started with a replacement flasher; which took 4 days to get.
    Anyway, the flasher solved my problem, at least for now. There may be another underlying cause that may pop back up at a later date, but for now it is working.
    I am wondering if my daughter had accidentlly left her flashers on for some time that caused the diode to overheat.
    But, we'll see how it goes.
    Again, thanks for your suggestion; I will keep it in mind, just in case.
    After running the car in place for 20 to 30 minutes and playing with the windows and doors locks and anything else I could think of , I drove the car with two of the black plugs off on the transmission. Fuse blew. I then replaced fuse and started car and unpluged the park, neutral safety plug and drove the car. Fuse blew. I then removed the kick panel on the drivers side and unpluged what I could to try and remove the back lites and still start the car, which I think one was the fuel pump and had in replug to start the car and drove around again. fuse blew....Tonight I think I will try the speed sensor. I forgot about that sensor. I am running out of things to look for before going to the dealer and taking out a LOAN.....
    Don't forget to try unplugging the Daytime Running Light relays. You've had front end damage and replaced a headlight (IIRC).
  • jill18jill18 Member Posts: 1
    We changed the battery in the car. The car starts up but the power windows, a/c, dash lights, brake lights, radio, rpm/speedomoter/c/h etc don't work. We have checked all the small fuses and still nothing. Any suggestions?
    Check the 100A fusible link.

It's up in the engine compartment, left fenderwall.

Let me know if that is blown or not.
    I looked and I don't think the car has Daytime running Lites.The book said something about Canada models only, So thats out. I will unplug the headlights and remove the two rear lights I replaced recently.
  • lalaw02472lalaw02472 Member Posts: 3
    sorry if this is a repeat question, but here goes. the lighter socket and the extra 12v socket don't work in my car. i replaced the 15amp fuse, but still nothing. now what?
    Try the 15A Power Point fuse, same row as the 15A Cig fuse
    thanks, there were two fuses in the package that i bought so i will try that when i get home. i'll let you know
    my driver's door lock is jammed. this is how i get out of the car. i have to pull the lock with my left thumb and pull the door handle with my right hand. and the door locks don't unlock but if i have the key in the ignition turned to ON the door locks work; but my driver's lock is still jammed. my friend tested out the door switch with a light meter and the switches are good. can it be the actuator? he said i need a new actuator.
  • lzklzk Member Posts: 2
    Does the 4 cylinder 2007 Camry Sedan CE have capacity for Bluetooth? According to the 2007 manual, it's there, but I can't find it on the car. How do i know if my car has capacity for Bluetooth?
    Take the door panel apart, so that you can get access to the locking actuator. Unplug the actuator from the vehicle wiring.

Now with a set of test wires, apply battery voltage in one direction directly to the actuator, to see if it locks correctly. Then switch the wires and see if the actuator unlocks correctly. If the actuators work correctly, then the problem is in the control circuitry to the actuators.

If the actuator didn't work correctly, you should take the diagnosis one step further. Disconnect the actuator from the mechanical lock linkage, and try the test again. This is just making sure that the problem is indeed the actuator and not a problem with the linkage being bent or binding....preventing the actuator from doing it's job. If the actuator still doesn't work, then your actuator is bad. If the actuator works and is strong, then the problem is most likely a mechanical bind in the linkage. If the actuator is weak, then probably need to replace the actuator.

With the major problems you have with this vehicle....you should seriously consider dumping it, before spending a lot of money on parts and labor/your time :lemon: :lemon: :lemon:
    Nope

CE is the entry level trim, bluetooth would be on top of the line
    that did the trick. thanks! :D
    Good job, glad it worked out.
  • pencappencap Member Posts: 1
    I've only owed the car a few months and bought it used from a car dealer. First problem when the car is running the dome light and power locks work OK only from the switch, as soon as the car is turned off the locks and dome light will work for about 2 minutes or so, than they quit (rap circuit power, maybe?). Note: Although the bottom light on the doors do work OK when opening and closing the doors. Both remote factory keys I have, key fob (lock, unlock , trunk, panic are located on the key itself) , lock unlock, trunk and panic do not work when they were working before these issue started? (just to let you know they did work when I bought the car) Both air bag lights are on (driver & passenger), saying the bags are off and not working, This is really not good! The passenger seat belt light won't go out when the belt is connected. I know your going to blame this but I don't think its the cause of these problems. The car has a remote starter by omega model 310 and a transponder bypass connected at the key cylinder that were professionally installed that does not seem to be the cause of all these electrical problems? The remote on the auto start does lock and unlock the doors fine only when the car is running and before the circuit quits working......Can these problem be connected to a fuse or a harness not being fully connected (pushed in)? can it be a faulty computer problem or maybe the car was in an accident before I owned it and it had issues before hand, any help word be greatly appreciated, David
    Oh boy......why people try to modify these later model vehicles, I'll never understand.

The unmodified door lock system is all controlled by the vehicle computer, with software configuration settings loaded by the dealer. WHO KNOWS what this Omega thing has done to the computer controls, I couldn't even hazard to guess.

Here's about the only thing I could suggest....Check the following fuses which are all used 'normally' in some manner by the computer for the door lock circuitry:
    - 25 A Door 1
    - 25 A Door 2
    - 10 A ECU B#1
    - 10 A ECU Ig#1
    - 7.5 A ECU-ACC

The supplemental restraint fuse circuitry are:
    -10 A Dome
    -7.5 A Gauge#2
    -10 A MPX-B
    - 10 A Ign
    - 10 A ECU B#1

If it's not something simple like a blown fuse, then I think you're going to need to take it back to the Omega installer. I doubt that the dealership would work on it.
    "Now with a set of test wires, apply battery voltage in one direction directly to the actuator, to see if it locks correctly. Then switch the wires and see if the actuator unlocks correctly. If the actuators work correctly, then the problem is in the control circuitry to the actuators."

when i test the actuator, what do i exactly touch? can i use a voltage meter?

"circuitry to the actuators" what is this?
    when i test the actuator, what do i exactly touch? can i use a voltage meter?

No you can't use a voltmeter. You are supplying battery power directly to the wires of the actuator, to see if the actuator will work.

"circuitry to the actuators" what is this? As mentioned previously, there is a computer circuitry involved. The switches send input signals to the computer, the computer determines what it wants to do, the output of the computer goes to the actuators.

Right now, all's you know is that the door locks don't work. You don't know whether the problem is in the switches, the computer, the actuator, or binding in the linkage. So unplugging the actuators from the computer circuitry, and applying power directly to the actuator, breaks up the problem area into a couple pieces so you can start to figure out what pieces work, and what pieces don't.
  • justlostjustlost Member Posts: 6
    I think we should recommend sainthood for kiawah, because he has the patience of one.
    That's funny !!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I could not agree with you more.

Thanks so much kiawah for what you contribute to these boards.

Pat