Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Ford Focus Transmission Problems

Comments

• dno36dno36 Member Posts: 71
    What is your current situation?
    D
  • jamieoohjamieooh Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2007 focus se auto. I'm having problems shifting out of or into park. I really have to force it into or out of park. The only thing I have found to ease this problem is to come to a complete stop set the parking brake and then put it in park. I t doesn't matter if I park on level ground or a hill. Along with this the shift indicator will stick in drive , park, etc. I have to move the shifter back and forth until it starts moving with the shifter. My car has 66,000 miles on it. Anybody have this problem or know how to fix it?
    Thank you
    jamie
  • trish18trish18 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

I am having the same issue. #P0750 Shift Solenoid Malfunctioning. My mechanic wants to charge me $275 for the part (says its the Pump and Base) then another $500 for labour. I was wondering when you changed your oil and the problem went away did it come back?? I am hoping all i have to do is change my oil........... Advice please
  • trish18trish18 Member Posts: 2
    I am having an issue with my 2002 For Focus. Basically the car will not go into 3rd gear. Now i dont know when the last transmission fluid change took place as i bought the car second hand. My mechanic says its not the solenoid but the "pump and base" that part will cost me $275. then labour another $500. I'm looking at paying $700-800 canadian dollars........

Now if i can simply just change my transmission fluid, then i will.

PLEASE ANY ONE ADVICE!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :sick:
    Hi Trish18,

If you are getting a 0750 code, the changing of fluid will not cure it.

The code is given by the computer due to an electrical or mechanical issue with the AA solenoid, and the problem needs to be fixed.

When your "mechanic" tells you pump and base, this does not make any sense with the 0750 code at all!!

Read the old posts here and learn why the advice you have been given is not in line with logical troubleshooting process.

If you went to a hospital and had a blood test and they told you that you had high blood sugar, and when you went to a second doctor, and he said you needed a kidney transplant using just the information the blood test told you, would you let him operate??

Changing oil will not help with the 0750 code.
    You may be wise to find another mechanics help.

GL
    Dean
  • focus5focus5 Member Posts: 3
    My 2002 Focus won't shift into fourth gear. It did when i bought it used last month. I got a scan that said I needed to change the AA solenoid. I bought a new one and installed it and still have check engine light on and no fourth gear. Should I have done anything after installation to reset the computer, like unclamping a battery post and reattaching it? At $62 for a new solenoid, I don't want to keep buying them assuming the one I installed was bad. Help!
  • fordmanjohnfordmanjohn Member Posts: 1
    so far my focus has 20000 miles and ive had the drive axle support bearing replaced twice and thw axle replaced and front swaay bar endlink replaced oh and a wheeel bearing replaced on pass side and im still getting a noise and vibration in the pedal
  • focus5focus5 Member Posts: 3
    I did everything you said and I still don't have fourth gear. What else would you recommend?
  • 0311vn0311vn Member Posts: 47
    So far I have had no trans problems with my 01 Focus wagon. I had the trans fluid changed twice, once around 30K and 80K. I am probably due at 140K to have the trans fluid changed. Is there anything else involved that a repair shop does other than chance trans fluid? Is there a trans filter in a Focus? Also curious if the trans life is nearig an end before a major failure. I had a 86 Honda Accord where the trans had to be replaced at 130K, but it was mostly a city car. My 01 focus is probably 60/40 highway/city miles.

What is typical for routine trans service fluid change, around $90? I am inclined to have a Ford dealer do the service on the trans.
  • cplcollinscplcollins Member Posts: 1
    Hello, my name is Cpl. Collins (Obviously, lol) I'm currently stationed in Iraq. Now that my wife is back home from over here we are back to driving our car. The car I bought is like new condition, I've had it for oh 3 going on 4 years. It being a "cheap car" that I bought from another soldier I started working on it as a hobby. I had a new Z-tech engin put in it since I didn't have the space or cherry picker at home and then mounted a 66mm throttle body on it with larger fuel injectors, and a nice new K&N cold air intake. About 3 years ago before I came on this deployment the transmission was having probelms, long story short, I got it replaced used transmission, low milage, newer focus. Now we're having the same issues and I'm having it rebuilt. Luckly I'm going to a personal friend of mine who owns a shop. So it's only costing me $800 from a transmission specialest. My friend is making no money off of this at all. So I thought I would take out the time to find out if this is common or not. Apparently it is. Any advice? Sell the car or what?
  • s_ann_2000s_ann_2000 Member Posts: 1
    I own a 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 automatic transmission and every couple months my gearshift lever will suddenly shift into neutral from drive. The first time I thought I bumped it into neutral, but by now I know I'm not. I can put it right back into drive and it's fine. I'm not sure if it's an actual transmission issue or just an issue with the gearshift lever. The car does go into neutral when it happens but easily goes back into drive.

There are no maintance lights on when this occurs, so I know that having it scanned won't do any good. Any ideas on what this could be would be helpful!
  • miragesmackmiragesmack Member Posts: 2
    I have a different question of sorts. My 2000 SE, DOHC Zetec auto trans is confirmed dead, with a broken spider gear. My question is about finding a replacement. I want to replace with a 2003-04 trans, due to their stronger internal build. Here's where I get confused though, choosing the correct trans.

My car had a 1S4P ('00) model, and the new one will be a 3S4P ('03-'04), from a junkyard. Locally, I find the best deals on low mileage units, all labeled 3S4P-CA. I know the -DA will fit 100%, but those are all over 100K miles. However, the -CA models show it fit DOHC in 2003, but in 2004 it shows SOHC. I know it will bolt up, but their are internal differences, and I don't want to reflash the ecu, as this car is already costing me a lot of $$$$$. My local Ford techs are less than helpful, since they aren't making any money on this deal.

Can anyone tell me if a 2003 3S4P-CA will work, or if it needs mods, what those might be. I have got a lot of "probably" and "I think it will's", but before I spend $450, I'd like to know for sure.

Thank in advance, great site,

Stephan Mackin
    email: [email protected]
  • miragesmackmiragesmack Member Posts: 2
    Actually, I printed that wrong. I probably have a XS4P, not a 1S4P. My tag is unreadable. I updated this because I now hear that X can only be replaced by another X, is that true?
  • mmj2mmj2 Member Posts: 2
    I had a second repair job done on my Ford Focus for transmission problems in July 2009. The transmission was shifting on the upwards side and then winding up high rpms then clunking down into a lower gear. The tranmission light came on. On the second time we had the car repaired, it took about 4 weeks total. This is a long time for someone to wait who may be dependent on the one car but we had two other cars for our transportaion needs. The dealer was considering replacing the full transmission but later said they detemined that an overhaul would work. That was in July and by the first week in August 2009 I got it back fully repaired. The car was covered by warrenty in full. Five months have passed and so far so good. No problems in shifting or high rev speed between gears. We are keeping the car for now. If I should have any other issues I will post again. :)
  • merryemmerryem Member Posts: 6
    For those who did the repair #76 and #110 is the car STILL working. I have a 2005 and just came up with the same codes. My brother is a mechanic (one of the GOOD ones and thats from others not me and does not work for Ford!!!!) He is willing to do the work but I want to be sure this will fix it or just be able to get it to a shop to fix other problems! I love my car and do not want/can't afford another one. This has been the only problem I have had!

Thanks
    merryem, our is fine, no issues at all.

its a cheap fix for a problem that can be realy costly if you go to the "wrong" repair shop.

Scan the codes, follow the easy steps. done.

Note, ours is a 2003, differences in the trannys may be small but there may be differences.

GL

Dean
  • kristi_mkristi_m Member Posts: 8
    Hi guys. I bought my Focus last year with a new motor, but 110,000 miles. I have driven it a lot since I drive 700 miles every weekend. I was 100 miles from home tonight with my daughter when I was slowing down from 60 coming into town. I was at 40 mph and tried to speed up and it seemed like my car was in neutral. It just rev'd instead of shifting and speeding up. I couldn't get past 40 mph. I stopped at a gas station, put in fuel injection cleaner. Tried to leave and it did the same thing. This time I couldn't get past 30 mph. I went back to the gas station. I randomly called a shop that sounded like someone's "home" business and was close by, since we were in the middle of nowhere, practically!

Luckily for me, on a Friday night, an older gentleman and his wife said they'd open the shop for me if I could get there. He drove it, nothing happened. He put it on the computer and got the PO750. He only charged me $20, which I thankfully paid.

I drove the 100 miles home, at first I couldn't get past 20 mph, so I threw on my hazzards and threw it in neutral then back to drive. I did it 3 times and it finally sped up. I drove 55 home and didn't have much of a problem the rest of the way!

I am hoping to get this solenoid fixed tomorrow. I just wanted to share my store, swear once again I'll never buy a Ford product again (nothing but problems. I've owned 10+ cars, only the Fords have been giving me trouble, and the dealerships are a pain to deal with!! Chevy was always helpful with small things)

Thank you for all the advice in this thread. I'm printing out the codes and the instructions on how to change it and I am PRAYING my dad can do the work tomorrow, or a friend of his. Thank you for this site for helping out the people who are not so mechanic-savvy.

Btw, once the car started running better on the way home, I noticed it FINALLY shifted gear around 55-60 or so. It has NEVER done that! I always thought it was just the way a 4 cylinder ran, since it's the first time I ever owned one. Engine light is still on, from when I got more gas and restarted it... but it runs great.

I guess I should still get it replaced, huh? My luck isn't so good that it just fixed itself. I wish it was. :)
    Hi kristi...lol no they don't just fix themselves.
    Sorry to hear of your highway turmoil.....

It does appear pretty typical for the "A" solenoid issue here.

It's a pretty quick fix and not tooo much $$. Don't take shortcuts and it should go smoothly and you should be running fine for less than $100.
    Glad you spotted this forum.

Good Luck

Dean
  • kristi_mkristi_m Member Posts: 8
    Thanks, Dean. My dad's repair guy works on the side and told him he could do it on Tuesday, but since it's the solenoid, they're only $50 and he'd replace both. Both? Should I have him replace "both in there" to keep from another going out or just the one that's bad? I just don't want to pay another $50 if I don't have to. He did say he has to order it because he did a Focus with the same problem and Ford only had one....

I'm trying to call a few more people, but being Saturday, not sure who could spare an hour or two. Thanks for your help. I don't trust dad's friend since I always have to take it back a 2nd time when he fixes it. Ha. Sheesh.

Btw, I called the Ford dealer, Napa, AutoZone... no one has one in stock. You'd think with all the problems, they'd have some. I have no clue who else to call.
  • marked1marked1 Member Posts: 15
    A question for all those Ford techs:
    why would my a/t focus 2003 w/split port engine would jerk repitedly and hesitate for first several minutes of driving when the engine is cold. It happens only in drive and reverse when giving gas and really doesn't act up every day. No codes present and lights illuminated ever. Trans fluid level and condition ok, it was serviced 2 years ago along w/Ford genuine fluid and filter.
    Please help srtuggling Honda tech.
    Ok so we replaced solenoid A and solenoid E the car shifted down the block turned around and now the O/D light is blinking and the shifting has stopped. Now we get code #0751 and the shift solenoid A mechanical or hydraulic performance code?

What now? Once again my brother IS a certified mechanic! And he tells me NO mistakes were made. Should we try and replace another solenoid?

PLEASE HELP I LOVE MY LITTLE ORANGE CAR!!!!!

Thanks
    Merry
  • bubba6213bubba6213 Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2001Ford focus.My transmission quit! I left my driveway and went about 200 yards and it just plain quit going. Does anyone have any ideas?
    Bubba,

Sounds like a major failure...Pump...etc.
    Well Kristi.....seeing that there are 6 solenoids in our Focus's trans, I do wonder what your guy is referring to when he says "both of them"???

From what I found out, you must get the "A" solenoid directly from a Ford parts dealer. If your local dealer does not have one, they usually will tell you which of the local dealers has one, unless they are schmucks. Just ask them. I needed to go about 25 miles to find ours.

Hope this gets to you in time and it helps

Dean
    What do you mean by: "the shifting has stopped"??

The O/D light blinking happens often with a trans code error.

Don't know why you replaced 2 solenoids?? The 0751 code does point back to the "A" solenoid. It is possible you got a bad one or there may be a loose connection.

The typical" problem fix here is for the 0750 code, however it seems that the 0751 code does get displayed when the "A" solenoid has gone bad as well.
    Well it shifted on the test drive and then stopped. My brother got two codes.I don't know what told him to change E. (he's not here right now.) I did run the gambit of question, could it be backwards?, Are you sure you hooked up everything right?, Did you sneeze and blow something else off LOL. He is a very careful when working on cars. The guys at his shop make fun of him for moving so slow, but when only 3 cars have come back in the last 5 or 6 years they have stopped laughing!

So I'm guessing the code we have is not for the A solenoid? I read (and my brother read) the codes list posted here. Maybe the car was too far gone?

I'll post a general message.

Thanks!
    Looooong story short, the problem start about a year ago. I was not driving the car at the time. My boyfriend was using it to go to work. He complained about the shifting and I said its in your head. (he normally drives a V8 truck.) I told him he can't stand on the gas and expect it to move like the truck would. My brother (a certified GM mechanic) told him the same thing. (boyfriend drives like he is in NASCAR!) We'll 2 weeks ago I went to go some where and the car would not shift and drive faster than 25 MPH. My Brother came out with his computer and got code #0751 and another code I can not recall right now. He found the codes are for A and E solenoids to be replaced. I found the fix in posts # 76 and #110. He came out this weekend and did the work. On the test drive it took a few seconds and then it shifted. Then we tested a bit further and it stopped shifting. My brother got code #0751 again.

Any ideas? Should we try and replace the A solenoid again? My brother is a very careful mechanic. Maybe all solenoids need replacing.

THANKS!!!
    Well I wish you luck, sounds like your bro has his act together.

Dean
    Merry, LOL "All" the solenoids do not need replacing.....unless you are getting codes on all of them.........

The lack of shifting tends to lead in another direction than just a solenoid issue.

Could be a bad "A" solenoid.
  • ru8484ru8484 Member Posts: 2
    This was very strange to me! I had been out all morning the friday before Christmas and the car was running excellent. I stopped like I usally do every oil change and get a bottle of lucas fuel injector cleaner, been doing this since 03 like clockwork. I drive over to the bp and fill my tank up with gas. Now heres the part that is bugging me. I noticed the little flap that pops open when you put the gas pump pipe in was stuck open. I couldnt get it to come back down, but I didnt really think it would make a difference as long as the lid went back on. I get not even a half mile down the raod and boom will not shift past 30mph. Another strange thing is I was near a shop and stopped in the guy ran a obd2 and it showed solenoid a malfunction. He reset the code and the car ran perfect for the 30 minute drive home and the next day we drove back to the city another 30 minute drive and again was running perfect. We went to eat, took the wife and kids to a few places and on our way home bam done it again. Autozone still shows a solenoid a malfunction, but now a reset onley last for a short period now my points here are this. #1 if this solenoid was really bad why would it have been able to be reset in the computer and run perfect for the time period it did? #2 Could it be the little flap in the fuel door? I really need some help with this before I spend money I do not have! Please!!!! anyone? I also called three ford dealers in my area who tell me all the solenoids come in a package now for $130.00 and you can not by them by themselves anymore!
  • ru8484ru8484 Member Posts: 2
    Hey if im not mistaken you have six of those solenoids. A, B , C ,D , E ,F and A is the most common to throw a malfuntion code on 70% of the focus. the other 30% are usally a d problem. The rest hardly ever go bad.
  • bubba6213bubba6213 Member Posts: 2
    What do you mean pump,etc?
    Primary trans pump or some other major part of the trans.

If it is a solenoid issue it wil usually have some function left.

Get it scanned to check and go from there.

good luck

D
    The flap open is a weird thing???
    It should have nothing to do with the trans at all as far as I know.
    Solenoids in a package....LOL.... is this a way for FoMoCo to fleece us some more?? First I heard of it, but I wouldn't put it past them.
    I might call a dealer out of your district and see if it is a new 'pill' we have to swallow, or maybe just the local dealers got together and are trying to pull one over on you.

Just for kicks I called my local Ford Dealer and they told me they do not have an "A" solenoid, but there is one about 15 miles away....not in a 'pkg'.

What is the exact code you car showed at AutoZone??
    They will give you a printout of parts and procedure and the exact code if you ask.

GL

Dean
  • fcurfcur Member Posts: 1
    Hi everybody,
    I own a 2002 Focus ZX5 automatic transmission. Since sometime I experience the following problem every once in a while: the car stops running after a big bang is heard. If this occurs I'm able to start again, but when I pull into Drive again, the motor might stop immediately or it stops after the first gear. It looks pretty similar to the problems I've read until now in this forum, but on the other hand it differs because until now I haven't read about anyone who said the motor stops running immediately after pulling into D. When I put my foot on the gas when pulling into D it might hold on for a few meters but then it stops anyhow after going into 2nd gear. The weird est thing about the whole matter is that this problem happened before. When I brought it to my mechanic he told me he couldn't find what the cause of the problem is. After that I drove for 5 months without a problem and now all of a sudden the problem is back. Anyone of you guys familiar with this behavior?

Thanks
    FCUR
  • yahusmautoyahusmauto Member Posts: 1
    I'm a mechanic i have 2003 focus here to repair because it is shutting off all the time. I change idle air control, crankshaft sensor it is still shutting down. I change the transmission control switch but it is still shutting down. please advice me what may be the problem
  • brucethehoonbrucethehoon Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2002 Focus ZTS (Mach) and had the exact issue as described in post #76. I was initially told to get a transmission service and agreed ($150) then when that didn't work, they told me the code and I googled it. I found this post and it matched my symptoms. I told the shop about this fix and they were initially leery and suggested a new transmission. They also read the diagram wrong (and later admitted it for big points in my book) and quoted me solenoid prices incorrectly. After they figured out their mistake, they charged me $61 each for both the A and B solenoids as Ford recommended they both be replaced and $75 labor. PROBLEM SOLVED! They were surprised and very honest about their initial confusion. I know it's more money than replacing it myself, but I feel it was worth it and certainly cheaper than a whole new transmission! I can't thank the original poster enough and I signed up for an Edmunds account just to post this reply - I hope others will see it and that it will help!
  • grumpymongrumpymon Member Posts: 2
    I have a 04 ford focus se automatic. O/D off light is flashing and ck engine light on.
    Trouble shifting into 2nd - engine revs up, slow to accelerate then shifts rough. Car jerks forward and it creeps me out. Found out it was the D Solenoid. Called Ford, they had no idea which one it was. Got a scan from AAMCO - said transmissions bad. Didn't believe them, took it Ford. Paid for the scan, and they said it was the blue solenoid. Bought part and had it replaced. Still same problem.. Called Ford, explained still having problems - they said that sometimes the scan will blame a solenoid when the transmission is going out. Outraged and desperate, had a free scan somewhere else, same code came up. Had them run a thorough electrical ck and everything checked out fine. Its been a month and no one can find out whats wrong with my car. Could the overdrive be the problem or is it the transmission? Any ideas, I'd really appreciate it. Please someone help me!!
  • 0311vn0311vn Member Posts: 47
    My 01 Focus wagon has 140K on it. Twice in recent months the front ABS brakes began acting funny, and then more recently the gauges the dashboard began jumping around as the power went up and down in the engine. I suspect it may be "trans time" for the Focus.

I had an Honda Acccord with an auto trans that went out (frozen in secnd gear) at around 130K.
    OK Grumpymon....we need to slow down a bit and sort out the problem.

Initially how did you find out it was the "D" solenoid??

You called Ford.....who...parts, service, customer service??

The dealer you had the solenoid replaced at, how much did that cost you??

You took it and had a free scan done. Where did you go, and what was the code number???

Did you take the car to an autoparts store and have a free scan done to it??

If so, what was the exact code number shown. This number is critical!!

What did any of the scans you had done say as far as codes. You should be able to watch as they pull the codes.
    If they say its too dangerous, or you are not allowed to, leave that place immediately, and go somewhere where you can trust each other.

It may be simple or a major issue.
    Could be $100 or $2500.
    You can buy a code reader for about $70 on E-Bay if you need. It takes 2 minuted to check your codes.

Slow down and take control of the process, and you will sleep better and probably be able to save yourself some $$.

Good Luck

Dean
  • grumpymongrumpymon Member Posts: 2
    Hi Dean,

I knew someone with a scanner, P0767 shift solenoid d stuck on came up.
    Couldn't figure out which solenoid was bad.. Called around to various auto parts store and they all said that they no longer give free scans. Went to AAMCO, they wanted me to replace trans.Didn't tell me any codes.So I went to Ford and paid $125 just for the diagnostic ck. They told me the solenoid with the blue wire needed to be replaced. Bought the part for $188 and had a friend install for me. Didn't work.. Called Ford back and they said the scan will blame a solenoid if trans is going out. Everyone thought it would be a minor repair. Last try went to another "transmission shop" had a free scan. Same codes came up. Paid $200 for them to ck all the electrical components. Everything checked out fine. They wanted me to pay $752 for a tear down inspection. Said forget it I had enough!!! So I'm just going to get a R/B trans. What else can I do? I'm tired of getting ripped off!! Thanks for responding so quickly!!!
  • johnsc2johnsc2 Member Posts: 2
    My Focus had the classic symptoms that I have been reading about. I bought my solinoid A at a transmission shop for $54. It took me 30 minutes

to replace it after reading lots of information on this site and manuals.
    ]My focus is now fixed and drives fine.lt has 140 K.

Thanks for all the info on this site!!!!!!!!!

John
  • ezengineezengine Member Posts: 1
    i have a 2001 focas with same problem can only drive with over drive off and suggestions
  • melee0309melee0309 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 2001 Ford Focus which I have owned since new. It now has 106,000 miles and today after working fine all day, has now decided it will not move out of park. It will start and I can have my foot pressed on the brakes and it will will not let me move out of park. Any idea? Of course this had to happen on a Saturday evening. lol
  • marked1marked1 Member Posts: 15
    edited February 2010
    with you engine running press brake pedal and see if your brake lights illuminate.
    if they don't, your brake position switch is bad and causing the problem.
  • roaddawgroaddawg Member Posts: 1
    I'm gonna go out on a limb here and pray for the best.

I've came across a really weird situation with my tranny.

Here are the symptoms:

Wife was driving it, she drove it home and parked it and a few hours later she goes out and it wont move in reverse. It acts like its in 2 gears and its loading the engine down when you rev it. If you put it in first gear it does the same thing, If you put it in drive it acts like it's stuck in 3rd gear or something but it does move. When you kill the ignition it will jump forward a little bit. Last night we pulled 2 codes po731 and p0732...which just says no 1st and second. LIst of thngs could be the PCM, wiring or SSA, SSB or SSC. I really hate to pull the pan, replace a solenoid just to find out its not the right one. Theres been no other codes thrown...which I guess is my fault cause I pulled the batt cable and it cleared them. It acted up once before and my daughter pulled over and killed it, started it back up and it was fine. I checked it at home, cleared the codes and its been fine for a month or so.

This has happened before. You can go down the road and it acts like it just comes out of gear, slows down a bit and then takes back off. Wife and daughter said it started making a growling noise one time. I pulled the stick...fluid doesn't look NEW but it could be changed I guess. Theres no metal in the fluid that I can tell. It was changed about 10K miles ago.

I know its a long shot but any ideas? I've got fluid and filter ready to go but no solenoid yet.
  • sadfordmomsadfordmom Member Posts: 1
    Just found out today that the transmission in my 2003 focus is gone (4th gear is in the trans pan). Going to cost around $3k to replace. The car has 126,000 miles on it so we're wondering if it's worth it, or if it's time to look for another car. It's been really reliable up to this point. I put a lot of miles on it, obviously, but we've done basic regular maintenance. Any thoughts on how much life there may still be in it if we put out the money to replace the trans?
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Member Posts: 64,481
    I'd guess another 50,000 miles if you took good care of it. Of course, there may be some repairs in there, but really, what can you buy for $3000----and as it sits it's near worthless.

I don't see where you have any choice, unless you want to sell it very cheap and take on the expense of a much lower miles used car, or a brand new car. You should be able to buy say a very low miles (40,000 or less) 2008 Focus SE sedan for around $10,000 or less.
  • carvaz4611carvaz4611 Member Posts: 8
    I don't know which tranny your car has, but if it is 4F27E, try E bay i found one for a friend (used) very low mileage, i think it had around 30K miles, he got it for 275.00 + 125.00 shipping and had it installed by a mechanic friend for 150.00 and the trans. works perfect, he also spent around 75.00 for a new filter and new fluid. So it's something to think about, if you can get the car back on the road for under a grand i think it's worth it. Good luck
  • jpearce21jpearce21 Member Posts: 4
    I've got similar symptoms with my '03 Focus ZTW right now, altho not quite as bad as yours. The CEL came on a few days ago, pulled code P0761 (SSC perf or stuck off). Picked up a solenoid at the dealership yesterday ($51).

The only question I have now, is how to ID SSC. One diagram I saw online labeled the solenoids 1, 2, 3, etc.. So does 1=A, 2=B, and so on? The diagram did include a color key for the leading wires. SSA and SSC both have neutral colors. I don't have time to do trial and error until I get the right one.

Does anyone know how to properly identify the solenoids?