Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Future Collectibles--Make Your Prediction

Comments

• Hi ya'll, my first visit here and enjoying it all. My candidate would be the Buick Reatta, based on styling alone. Built 88-91 I believe with nothing special other than the lack of the back seat. Good looking car with the open rear wheel wells and the coupe profile
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    Hmmm....I always go around and around with the Reatta...it's different enough, but the car was a sales flop and certainly didn't set the country's imagination on fire (hardly anybody noticed it was even there), and this doesn't make it easy to gain collectible status. Certainly, the marketplace doesn't reflect a lot of interest.

I'd guess it will become a kind of collectible curiosity, like the Delorean, the Allante, etc, but not ever bring the big money or lots of interest in the collector car hobby. If the car doesn't get "hot" soon, it's going to fade, because most cars are collected by the people who grew up with them, and I can't really come up with a scenario of some 80s teenager recalling tons of fond memories around his or his dad's Reatta, can you?
  • Here's a possibility that may come up this year. Ford's new SVT Cobra Mustang (interesting all by itself because of the new body style, independent rear, increased power, but proably not a classic because of the number produced) MAY have an 'R' edition. The reglar SVT itself will have a short run as it debuts in the spring. If there is an 'R' code at all, it will come in the summer. I don't know how many Ford will produce in about 8 weeks but it can't be very many.
  • GalagaGalaga Posts: 1
    How about the new 4th generation f-body Camaro SS's and Firehawks. A true 1990's musclecar with limited production.
  • Great topics! I have to agree with skunkfeet on the Buick on the pure style aspect, broke somebodies mold with that one. My vote is for the 84 Maserati biturbo, because as far as I know it was the first twin turbo V6 to be sold in the US (?) In CA the value has even started to rise on the good examples left. Where else can you get an Italian name, leather and turbo performance for under $10k?
    well.......
  • FREDERICKFREDERICK Posts: 228
    Now don't laugh. These cars are true classics in the sense of the Edsel/Tucker genre of thinking in the automotive world. heck what other "modern" car could you buy that'd honk its horn every time you swung the driver's seat forward!

I actually drove a well used Pacer recently and even considered buying it to add to my "clasic" collection but the reverse gear didn't work and the whole thought of actually buying this cheesy piece of @#$* totally turned me off. I think my mind was addled by my recent viewing of "Waynes World" I'd through the Fiero and Reagatta and this same heap.

I'll let uou know one altruism in collecting old pieces of junk: buy what people wanted back when it was new and you're less likely to loose your pants down the road. Electronic gismos are fine but I'll tell you from experience that they'll cost you an arm and a leg to repair down the road when you finally own one of these fine "specimens" of American enginuity.
  • jstandeferjstandefer Posts: 805
    Interesting topic...

Of the Japanese cars, I'd have to go with the Mazda RX-7 and the Mazda Miata. Both cars were extremely popular and have an excellent racing heritage (both dominating their class for years). Of course, the ones that will be come collectables will be the rare ones.

For the RX-7, it will have to be the limited edition '80 Leather Sport (LS), the '84-'85 GSL-SE, the '88 10th Anniversary Edition, the '90 GTUs, and all '93-'95 Twin Turbo RX-7's. The RX-7 was a well recognized car, popular with the public, and generally hold up well. Another reason these will be collectables in the rotary engine.

For the Miata, it will have to be all M Editions, the '97.5 STO (Special Touring Option, 2500 built), and the '99 10th Anniversary Edition. Each year of the M Editions (3000 per year) were in a unique color. The STO had a unique paint color, numbered certification, and unique interior bits. The 10th Anniversary Edition (just now being released) are individually numbered ####/7500 on certification and special badges on the fenders of the car. The Miata has enjoyed unbelievable success in both sales and racing, and is already considered by some to be a classic.
  • SR20DETSR20DET Posts: 3
    Nissan Sentra "SE-R", Nissan NX2000, 50th Aniversary 300ZX. Most people never heard of these rare cars, they are the stealthies cars on the road- but the Z, most people dunno what they deal with.
  • C13C13 Posts: 390
    I've always wanted a Sentra Se-R. Are there any model years that didn't have the motorized seat belt?
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    My PICKS:

1) Mercury Murker XR4Ti (limited run and styling)

2) Oldsmobile Aurora (4 year run - I own)

3) Toyota Supra turbo 96-99 (I wish I owned)

4) Mercury Capri (just brought one).

5) Porche Boxer

You heard it here FIRST.
  • I have to admit that I'm biased, but I think the Neon ACR will be a collector item in the future. Certainly, the ones with race histories will bring in the most bucks, but any ACR is still a low-production car with a performance flair. I own two of them, daily-driving/autocrossing a 98 and storing a 96. Most ACRs were turned into track cars, so only a few were not mangled in races. Out of the non-track cars, how many are set aside under prime conditions? Probably not a lot. My 96 is. I'm hoping it will be worth some reasonable cash someday. And if it turns out not to be, I'll just have a mint condition older car with low mileage to enjoy.

About the Grand Nationals...they probably won't be worth a whole lot, since there were quite a few made. The GNX, however, is another story. It was a collectible as soon as it was created.

I would have to put the Camaro SS into collector status, especially the limited run of LT4 cars a couple of years ago. I don't know about the Ram Air Firechicken, though. I don't know if it will hold the same aura that the SS seems to. I would say the Lingenfelter, Hurst, and original SLP birds will be collectors. Probably the most collectible late model Firebird will be the limited run of first year Firehawks (1992?). The older body style with the insane amount of horsepower. I want one.

The last two Cobra R models would go on my list, too. There were a few Thunderbirds modified by Roush a couple of years ago, too. Those could be worth something. Saleens will likely be collectors.

I think the Viper is a shoe-in for collectibility. Low production, exotic nature, extreme performance, etc. Especially the GTS-R models. Sign me up for one of those, too.

That's about all I can think of for now. I do have to agree that Japanese cars in general (there may be limited exceptions) won't be collectible in the U.S. market. But don't hold anything to my opinion. No one else does.
  • markwmarkw Posts: 8
    Check out the 1988 Toyota Celica GTS Turbo 4WD if you can't find info don't be surprised. Post a note and I will try to answer from my experience of owning one until last year.
  • What do you think about the MR2? Not too many of them were sold here in the US in its last years (91-95) it was imported to the US, What do you think guys, let me know, or the MX-5, Miata, I want to buy one of these 2 and would like to buy one that most likely be a classic, if none o them are, then I will just go with the MR2 Turbo.
  • theremintheremin Posts: 26
    I fondly recall the Opel Cadet circa '74-'75 as being really unusual looking in a cool way, and a alot of fun to drive ( I got my first speeding ticket in my dad's Opel). It wasn't as eye-popping as the mini-corvette Opel GT, but there was really nothing else like it...it somewhat resembled a shrunken Barracuda. An unlikely candidate maybe, but I think a worthy one.
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    OH HOW COULD I FORGET THIS ONE!!

Honda Del Sol VTEC

nuff said.
  • ruskiruski Posts: 1,566
    95 and up Buick Riviera
  • rwojorwojo Posts: 1
    '93-'95 RX-7 s for sure. I just drove a 93 today and could not believe the car that you can get for about $20K. Not to mention that not too many were made in the US. They have timeless styling that Chevy tried to copy for the C5.
    A few notes on classic cars:
    1. 60s Mustangs are classics and they sold tons of them. They weren't expensive, but were loved by almost everyone, whether a car nut or not. These ideas don't support today's pony cars, but certainly the Miata. The Miata is already considered a classic by so many of its fanatical owners.
    2. A car doesn't necessarily need to be a good car in its day to be a classic car. DeLoreans are already reaching classic/collectable status and they were terribly unreliable. Classic cars just need to be visually stimulating and notably different. People get attached to cars for these reasons. This explains why someone may believe the Riviera, Reatta, and Fiero may be considered classic. I disagree, simply because these cars aren't nearly as fun to drive as say, a . . .
    3. A sure sign of a classic car is one that people modify and race on the street. Honda Civics are the hottest street machines in the country. These modified economy cars are fun to drive, reliable, and stylish. This can also be said of the SE-R.
    4. Classics must give their owners good reasons to own them for a long time. All the new roadsters will be classics for this reason alone. They're fun and they too have timeless styling.
  • FREDERICKFREDERICK Posts: 228
    I'd call it more of an "exotic" than a collectable. I remeber the the GT mostly becuase when I was literaly just out of diapers a neighbor, who was a doctor, owned one that when he was away on vacation sprung its emergency brake and rolled down his driveway into a tree across the street. Naturally since the car was already wrecked we broke in the windows to get some Life Saver candies he had left in the center counsel tray.

A few easily collectable bets would be:

Early Honda Vtecs
    Nissan Z Twin Turbos
    Mustang Saleen's and Cobras
    Delorian 6 cyln's
  • hgold1hgold1 Posts: 1
    I think the 1982 Corvette Collector Edition
    will become a classic as it was the end of a 14 year body style and only 6759 were made. I don't think that later vettes had the same type of styling.
    Well, I can't say as i agree with all of your choices, but only time will tell, i guess...I think, though, that the public has spoken and made a full judgment on the Opel Kadett and the Delorean already (hey, if it hasn't happened by now, it isn't going to).

I guess I may have mentioned that in the 1970s there was a guy who won quite a few IMSA races in a 6-cylinder Pacer (Lucky Strike Challenge)--so you see, it's all in the preparation--he must have been brilliant and a hell of a driver, too.

I'd be wary of some of these "collector editions" and "anniversary specials"...sometimes they are merely marketing concepts with only a few cosmetic upgrades...it's the same old car with a few stripes...it doesn't fool the real collector.
  • bd1bd1 Posts: 1
    What about the 86 and 87 Monte SS Aerocoupe. There were 200 or so made in 86 and approx 5000 in 87. A stylish and sporty car with good performance for its day.
    The Aerocoupe is a rare car, but again, the issue with collectibles is not the rarity, but the all important question: "Does anybody care?". It seems that there is some collector interest, in that the Aero brings more money than the regular Monte Carlo SS, but not THAT much more, so it's not like the car is catching fire or anything...and now its almost 13 years old and still no great amount of interest...so I'd guess that it won't become a valuable car because nobody's noticing. The problem is, I think, that the car was made in the 1980s, kind of a low point in American production and engineering.
  • LozloLozlo Posts: 1
    Hw about VW Scirocco?
  • terrillterrill Posts: 2
    1993 allante might be a good choice. limited production, conv., northstar engine and good driver.
    Yes, the Allante is an interesting car for an American product, but again, has not soared in value and would not be justifiable for a full-on restoration (costs would easily exceed current market value of $15-20K)...it seems to be holding at a base level that one might expect for a luxury two seater convertible and has a small but loyal following. The Northstar engine appears in the later models only, which are probably the best bet in terms of both value and reliability.

Biggest stumbling block to Allante's future, I think, is that the car it was meant to emulate, the 560SL Mercedes, is available for similar money and is, in my opinion, more car for the money. But that's only my two cents, so by all means buy what you enjoy!

VW SCIROCCO--valuewise, in the trash can right now, although personally I like the earlier Italian designed body styles...but there has been no collector market for the car and they can be bought dirt cheap.
  • My pick of many would be the 1982 Camaro INDY pacecar, The 1982 Pontiac Trans Am, The 1984 Buick GN Turbo. I think that Jerry Palmer did a excellent job on the design of the Camaro. It's the design and some of the features of the cross fire engine that will make it a classic.
    Interior design was really good for the time, and I
    really dug those induction flaps on the hood from behind the wheel.
  • myoung1myoung1 Posts: 3
    The 1999 Honda Civic Si will rank with the BMW2002tii, the original Rabit GTI, and the Mini Cooper S as classic go-fast turn-quick sleepers. If Honda doesn't put out too many of the little buggers, they should also be highly collectable, particularly if they are rock stock.
  • myoung1myoung1 Posts: 3
    Speaking of Opals, I owned an Opal 1900 Coupe. It was a WONDERFUL car for its day. Reasonable power for a four banger, good looks, slick shifter, sports car handling, and German engineering when that really meant something. Look it up sometime. But good luck finding one now in any condition. I think this car did quite well in the early showroom stock wars too.
  • The 98 contour svt unless you have driven one you will never know what you missed only about 6000 made.
  • syclone7syclone7 Posts: 2
    I own a 1991 GMC Syclone,there were only 371 total units produced and I think this is a keeper.
    The engine is a v6,4.3 liter. , but it has a 15 lb.turbo boost that propels this truck from 0-60 mph in 4.9 sec.totally stock.
This discussion has been closed.