Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Have you recently switched from a luxury sedan to a luxury SUV?
A reporter would like to talk to you; please reach out to [email protected] by 7/25 for more details.
Did you get a great deal? Let us know in the Values & Prices Paid section!
Meet your fellow owners in our Owners Clubs

Future Collectibles--Make Your Prediction

Comments

• wilcoxwilcox Posts: 584
    ...it's manufactured and on the market today. Hasn't been around too long. Hint, it's built here in America. Take a guess what it is....
  • stickguystickguy Posts: 32,625
    BMW Z3 - M ?

2019 Acura TLX A-spec 4 cyl. (mine), and 2013 Acura RDX AWD (wife's)

Very good guess. And probably more correct than what I had in mind! Well worth remembering....

One of the big three make the vehicle I'm referring to in post #186. Any other ideas ...?
    a laugh for most, but I think the General Motors EV1 may some day find it's way into some collector's heart.

As shocking as it sounds, in recent history, it was the first(most famous)mass produced modern electric vehicle to be offered to the American public (and the world) to be used as a street legal commuter device.

It may be recognized as generating a revolution...

If nothing more...you'll see 'em in Museums....bet ya.!
  • I have a Small Block 327 with the Carter 2-bbl, and CA A.I.R. system. it is complete and just removed from my 67 Camaro.
    It is connected to the 2-Spd Powerglide.
    Does anyone know the worth?
    Anyone interested in it?
    I can be reached at
    [email protected] if you want to call or have me call you.
  • rea98drea98d Posts: 982
    How bout the Prowler? It's the only vehicle Plymouth has that's not a rebadged Chrysler, its not mass produced (Not to Toyota Camry levels anyway), and since DCX officially turned off Plymouth's life support, I'd say it's a sure bet as a collectable. (Although Shifty won't like it because of that retro styling. Hey, isn't the Prowler the car that started all that retro stuff?)
  • Mr_ShiftrightMr_Shiftright Sonoma, CaliforniaPosts: 64,490
    I think the Prowler came about as the result of Chrylser realizing how much interest (and money) there was in building and collecting street rods among the "older" car buffs, and they thought there might be a niche market.

In some sense they were right, but producing a 6-cylinder automatic street rod all in the same basic shape and color will hurt future values I think. But it's certainly different enough to remain a curiosity and a lower-level collectible in the future, yes I think so--given a lot of time for the usual depreciation cycle of course. I predict it will be like the old Kaiser-Darrin or Frazer-Nash or Avanti or some such...not big buck collectible, but of interest to a cult following.
  • carnut4carnut4 Posts: 574
    who will NEVER own a Prowler. And I even like some of the older Mopars. To me, it's like someone building a caricature of a classic Packard or Deusenberg and trying to sell it to those who can't afford the real thing. But at the Prowler's price? Heck I can have the real thing all over the place for those bucks-a 40,000 dollar 6-automatic? Forget it.
  • Would anybody know if this will drive up the value? I've got an '89 RS. Any help wold be appreciated.
    I don't think so, there are lots of them on the road, and yours is still too new. Discontinuance doesn't always help the value of a model--it's more connected to rarity, special options, age, and ultimately, how many people really desire the car enough to pay a premium price for it. I think most '89 cars will continue to behave just like used cars--there's about a 15-20 year cycle of dropping prices and then, if the car is rare and desirable enough, prices will stabilize and slowly start to rise again. This is the usual pattern.
  • hersbirdhersbird Posts: 323
    I think many of todays popular cars will be collectors just as the most popular cars of the past are collectors (55-57 chevy) I am talking cars not vans or sport utilities (except Typhoon)but do think some pickups will be collectors, Ford Lighting, Dodge Dakota convertable, shelby, or R/T, Chevy 454SS. Camaro's mustangs and firebirds will always be collectible at some point in their lives. I think the Chevy Beretta will do well later as it was a popular brand and model with good 2 door styling and not many are well kept. Chrlser's 300 and even new concord I think will have fans. Plymouth fans will have to rember the Prowler as about the only plymouth since 1979 to be collectible, which is sad as I am a huge Plymouth fan. Pontiac's Grand Prix I think is pontiac's best collectible, as is Buick's Regal GS. Caddy's STS is a shure hit later, Tarus in SHO trim is already a collector. As is anything from SVO. I don't know if japanese mainstream cars like the Camary or Accord will be collected, most buy these on reliability record not styling, that doesn't go for the hign end versions like Lexus. You guys may be talking about super collectibles like Plymouth Hemi Superbirds, or Hemi Cuda convertables but I am talking about what you could find restored 30 years down the road in average america's garage.
    Actually if you would have put a 65 mustang away for the last 35 years it would be worth much more then $15000 as a unrestored super low miles original. And keep in mind the car cost only $2500 new. One the other side $2500 invested and doubling every 5 years would be $320,000 now.(I can't even imagine if you would have envested the money otherwise spent on a 31 Rolls) Cars are seldom a profitable investment. I also think the extreamly old cars "classics" are less collectible every day as less people are around to remember them in their day. Are we talking what sombody whould buy for a museum or to enjoy weekend shows and trips in?
    Yes, but what would it have cost you to properly store a car for 35 years? And gee, that's 35 years of not enjoying the car! Seems senseless, doesn't it? I mean, not only is the car not being used, but by being stored it is often harmed. To me, cars are not wall-hangings, they are meant to be used and enjoyed by owner and observer alike.

I personally can't ever see a Honda or a Camry or evena Baretta ever being collectible. They're a dime a dozen, and unlike sedans of the 50s, not even distinct from any other make. Also, F-bodies with 6 cylinder automatics aren't going to cut it either.

I'm not even sure that as many people will be interested in cars in the future. It seems that the upcoming generation is far more interested in computers. How often do you see kids working on cars in the street...oh, you see them, but percentage wise I don't think the interest is there like it was in the 50s and 60s. And remember, the bulk of collecting is done by those people who collect the cars of THEIR generation, their youth, their memories.
    Actually the point of computers being popular now might mean a highly computer controller car with good style and desire factor will be hot later. Like the caddy STS or if you are sure about the 4 door thing then the eldorado. I think 4 door styling has come a long way from what it was, and people are getting over thier hangups about 4 doors=old lady. The new Dodge charger has four doors only and I didn't even notice that until the secound time I saw the picture and I want one of those bad. I'm 29 and in between the generations now, but I spent the last 3 years as a military recruiter aroung the high schools everyday. They may not 'work' on their cars in the sense of repairing them but they are out there customising them. Then you have to argue a little honda civic is what they can afford but a NSX is want they really want.

We should try a survey of ages and what car you wanted you senior year of high school.

I graduated in 1988 and wanted a Buick Regal GNX. I had no desire for a corvette those years and actually owned a 71 plymouth Sebring and 70 chevelle at the time. Now 12 years later I could own a regal GN but want a 71 Sebring, go figure.
    brings up an interesting point. New technology is now flowing so rapidly, yesterday's computer is obsolete today. 20 years from now, a car like, say the Cad STS or one of the Fords all loaded with computers and sensors that have gone bad- I mean these things make it a nightmare NOW in some cases,to troubleshoot-since today's engines are so dependent on electronics. 10 or 20 years from now, what does that do for a car that won't even run because of a bunch of bad sensors and computer chips that are long since obsolete and not repairable or replacable? Maybe we'll have a bunch of backyard "mechanics" who restore old cars by getting all those obsolete computerized systems to work right again. Whadya think?
    I think the cars of today are going to be a royal pain to restore, and very expensive. It would be like asking someone to make you 100 8-track tapes of your favorite music or finding someone to replace the volume control on your 1980 black and white TV set or to make a new motherboard for your Radio Shack TRS-80 computer. Good luck!

As for 4-door mass produced cars being worth a lot of money, I guess nobody can say for sure, but it would go against 75 years of historical trends in car collecting and somewhat against common sense, which does point to the fact that 4-door cars are always produced in greater numbers than 2-doors and convertibles. So even if you overcome the aesthetic objection to 4-doors with better styling, you still have the patterns of history and the "laws" of economics (supply and demand) to work against......unless by "collecting" you mean like on the Beanie Baby level, and well then, sure, anything goes. Sheer cultural madness is unpredictable.
  • fjm1fjm1 Posts: 137
    did you have to mention those damn bean bags? My wife and those stinkin little money wasters.....
    Careful, they'll hear you!
    I hear bean bags make good ammo for riot guns. Just stick a couple of bears in there, point at the crowd, and fire away :-) !
    Barbra Streisand or not, whoever bought that car got a great bargain. It's not unheard of for the 55-57 T-Birds to go for 70 Grand. I just wish a 95 T-Bird was worth as much as a 55 :-)

"Maybe we should be hanging around the baseball stadium finding out who's thinking about getting a new car..."

Can I have dibs on Sammy Sosa's ride?
    It really depends on the celebrity...if you have a second rate celeb (like a soap opera star) with a second rate car (a station wagon or something ordinary), it doesn't seem to affect the price at all.

Also, for celeb ownership to boost a car's value, it has to be very well documented--not just a car owned by Elvis' gardener or the "Sinatra Estate"...usually the celeb's name on the registration or some such is required for people to get excited at auction...or a photo of the celeb in the car helps a lot. So it's not a car in the White House Motor Pool that's important, it's the car that the president rode in with the ambassador to sign the famous treaty, with photos. You see the difference?

One has to be very careful of "claims" of ownership, and also the car itself has to be somewhat interesting. Seinfeld's Porsche Speedster is a a lot more valuable than Amy Grant's Taurus,by a long shot.

I suppose a special supercharged "F" Bird could bring big money, but really, $35,000 isn't much of a premium over a normal nice T-Bird. Barbra must not have much pulling power in the collectible market, or perhaps the car was trashed?
    about the B.S. T-Bird. Wish it could be inspected up close to see if it fetched an average price or what.

the comment rea made about Sosa's ride....now that I think about it, there are probably hundreds of people out there that have their eye on it. I mean if folks are paying those high prices for Sammy's b.o. athelitic shirt, then the cars must also be fetching some big bucks.

I'd like to have Alan Jackson's pickup truck.....bet it's a Ford.
  • I am from the 70's HS generation, post muscle cars. I work with guys in their early 20's and read new "compact" car mags to keep up. Kids like cars as always, they just either don't want to or can't work on them like the so called "good ol' days". Most prefer to get a late model performance car to begin with, rather than buying a "beater" and "hot rodding" it.

Case in point, one guy has a 1998 Z28 and races it. Also, another guy has a 1991 Mustang 5.0, and instead of working on it some more, he plans to "just buy a new Z28 and be done with it".

Regarding future collectables, it depends on desirablity and rarity. Sedans are more desirable in this day and age, so some of the "performance" editions may be collectable. Boomers mostly desried 2- doors as teens, but today's HS kids are not repelled by Maximas, etc. To some of them, cars before the 1979 Mustang are "old and ugly" (quoted from 22 y/o co-worker)

I am sure there will be posts to the contrary, but I am just stating what I have heard.
    my generation, AND all the older ones as well will be coveted by increasing numbers of younger people. In my case, I was a 9 year old carnut when the 55 models appeared, so naturally I appreciate 50's and 60's car's because those are what I first drove and owned. But true carnuts learn about and appreciate ALL cars over time. If I had my huge barn with a blank check, there are many, many cars I'd like to own and drive, from every decade beginning with the 30's, up to about 1985. I just can't believe there'll be a time when the rage is old hondas, toyota mr2s, rx7s, etc, with no interest left in 57 Chevs, musclecars, Alfas& Ferraris, 30's Ford street rods, classic Packards,etc. I just cant't imagine anyone wanting to restore, say, a 20-year-old Honda Prelude w/4wheel steering, or a Mazda Miata, with no interest at all in anything older. Can you? All these onboard computers are bound to send lots and lots of todays plastic cladding straight to the junkyards.
    Oh, I think people have a passing interest in older cars, but not enough interest to plunk down big bucks for, say a 1920s car...you can hardly give away a restored 1920s sedan these days, and even the big old convertibles aren't an easy sell...the 20s styling looks very old to the modern eye, and while we'll point and say "neat car!", when it comes time to pull out the old checkbook, most younger and affluent collectors or just car nuts are going to pick out a car they can relate to AND that they can drive on a modern highway and have fun with. A 1920s, 30s or 40s car is really not much fun to drive--more fun to be seen "in" or to trailer to shows and talk about.

Also I don't think cars are as predominant an interest with kids like they used to be. Kids are into computers and multimedia and the web. Cars are something they buy after they grow up and make money. I know there's an active car culture in the young 20s crowd, but it's not as widespread as it was in previous generations by a long shot.

Will people collect 4-door Accords. No, no more than most don't want 1958 4-door Oldsmobiles, or at least not enough to pay any decent price for them. So if restoration costs continue to go up but the value of certain cars doesn't go up with the cost, very few people will take the time and money to save them. Why restore a 1963 Ford Falcon 4-door sedan and spend $12,000 doing it when you end up with a rather plain looking $2,500 car? Well, maybe if it was grandpa's or something.
    if demand goes down for the old cars that are valued now. Wonder what one of the true classics [Packard, Duesie, Cads, etc] that have 6 figure values now will be worth in 20 years? And what about street rods-that is, anything old with modern, upgraded mechanicals-what do you think will happen to these in 20 years?
    is good there will be people with extra money to pursue their automotive memories.
    When a recession comes, there will be less demand and little or no appreciation of these kind of collectables (relative to the value of money or even newer "plastic" vehicles). Only the very rich and museums will care about owning the true classics in the future...

Wil
    Wil does bring up a good point...every time the economy has soured, even moderately, the classic car market goes right into the toilet, so to speak. Classic cars, in fact ANY old car, is truthfully not an asset, but a liability. Sure, there have been a few special cars that skyrocketed in value, but even people who bought these at the wrong time, 1988, 1989, took a real bath on them in 1990. Cars that were selling for 1 million in 1989 are now selling, in a strong market, for 250,000. So somebody down the line ate that 750,000 bucks. Some investment, huh?

This is why it's best to collect cars of true merit and beauty if you're going to spend a lot of money, or, conversely, collect just ordinary old cars for fun and don't put any money in them, or restore them as a hobby and forget about getting your money back out.

No one knows what these old Duesies and Packards will be worth in the future. Maybe very little, because they will be as useless as an old horse and carriage is today. But certainly, even as "art in metal", they will have some value...but even 18th century hand-made gold-inlaid pianos (surely, works of art) aren't worth as much as some of these old cars are now. I'd take a wild guess and say that the days of wildly escalating values for precious old cars is gone forever, and that their fate is really based on economic factors in the future. Who knows? Maybe they'll even be melted down for their metal in the future...ghastly thought, but after all we are just speculating here for fun.
    ....about the question of the value of street rods...well, up to now at least the value of rods usually, most often, does not exceed the cost of building them...so that is to say that just about every beautiful rod built today is sold at a loss. The numbers usually work out to $50,000 to build it, and around $35,000 when you sell. Exceptions might be a few older rods built many years ago by legendary builders...these are well-known and heavily documented cars that are like altar pieces in hot rod culture. But there are only a few in this category.
    that gets most people in to the hobby of collecting, restoring, driving old cars-whatever they are. I'm glad those investors who got in to the hobby years ago just for money had to take a bath. I thought the million dollar Packards were ridiculous then, and when I saw some of those owners of Concours winners, it made me disgusted. Maybe if values "normalize" in the future, it will make it easier, and more fun, for those who pursuit the hobby just for the love of cars. And speaking of that, being a middle school shop teacher for 24 years, I've had hundreds of students who love cars-old cars, new cars, hot rods, classics, whatever. Whether these kids have uncles or dads or whoever who introduced them to the hobby, I think there are enough young 'uns out there to carry on for many years to come! Yo'd like some stories I have about former students who dropped by school to show me there cars, and go for a ride. What fun!
This discussion has been closed.