Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    If I wanted alloys that bad, I would just buy an EX!

Those alloys are expensive and the price is an EXCHANGE price. We keep your old wheels.

Heck, for another 7-800.00 you could get an EX!
  • Options
    bjk2001bjk2001 Member Posts: 358
    Thanks for your reply.
    MSRP, Invoice Price, all those information are good to know. However they didn't mean anything. Bottom line is Market Price that is what you pay for your car. There are too many Honda dealers in So Cal, price is all over the place you could pay up to thousand of dollar difference between one dealer and the next one down the street. Not even mention huge difference of buying experience from one to the other dealership. Just wondering anyone has any good/bad experience to share in So Cal.
  • Options
    kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 237,422
    I think he means LX + $700 + $alloy wheels cost..

Most Honda dealers want $800-$1300 for a set of Honda alloys...

I agree... If you really want Honda OEM alloys, you are better off going with the EX.. You'll at least have a little higher resale.. An LX w/alloys isn't worth much more than one without them..

Otherwise, get the LX and buy aftermarket..

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• Options
    edelatledelatl Member Posts: 1
    can you share with me which dealers you might be negotiating with. I am looking for a Black LX-4 door, and had a price of $100.00 over invoice. When they sent me the buyers order, they added a $500 junk fee ( customer service fee). I'm turned off by that and would rather negotiate with other dealers.

Thanks
  • Options
    chejo28chejo28 Member Posts: 34
    thanks for the info dotsara. i think you did pay a little too much in my opinion but then you did get what you wanted for such a short period of time. congratulations on owning an Si!!! i'm sure you're very happy with it. my husband is getting excited in getting one so i'm sure by the end of the year we will be proud owners of an Si as well. one quick question...did you get your Si with Navigation and Summer tires? i think your answer will be a 'no' but i want to make sure so i'll know the exact price i will have to deal with when the time comes :shades: . thanks again!
  • Options
    chejo28chejo28 Member Posts: 34
    thanks so much for the advice david! did you get your Si with navigation and summer tires? :shades:
  • Options
    Yes, that's what I meant.

If you buy aftermarket wheels be VERY careful! Sometimes, the offsets are wrong and this can cause big problems.
  • Options
    zokkozokko Member Posts: 8
    I live in San Diego Ca. and just got my costco price on a civic ex 4-dr no NAV...$19722.00, that price includes $550 destination and what they are calling a propack ( mud flaps, trunk tray, wheel locks, trim ). That has been the highest price I have received so far! Then I asked about an extended warrant, he quoted me $1750 for 7yr/100k. I've already have a quote from a dealership in Mass. for $750 for a 7year/120k warranty! I'm expanding my search, my goal is to hit invoice+$550 destination!
  • Options
    coolchidcoolchid Member Posts: 33
    A question about the "extended warranty", is that for a zero deductible HondaCare Warranty or ?? If so, could you please give the dealership name in MA that is offering it @ $750?
    Good luck on your quest for invoice pricing!
    Thanks very much,
    Norah
  • Options
    Goto http://hondawarrantyinfo.com and you can get an automatic quote. Here's the pricing I received:

Extended Warranty
    7 years/100,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $649.00) OR ($0 deductible = $749.00)
    7 years/120,000 miles warranty: ($100 deductible = $749.00) OR ($0 deductible = $849.00)
  • Options
    civic4civic4 Member Posts: 33
    I can pick up a silver one for the deal below, what do you think?

2006 Civic EX, automatic including destination $18,650.

Thanks for the replies.
  • Options
    "my goal is to hit invoice"

Pretty lofty goal on a car that is red hot and almost impossible to find in a NAVI!

Good Luck!
  • Options
    riposteriposte Member Posts: 160
    Instead of shooting off immediate wise-acre replies, why not spend another 2 seconds to C-A-R-E-F-U-L-L-Y read what was written?
  • Options
    What did I read wrong? Why don't YOU go back and read the post I responded to?
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    equipped models this month. The supply and deals should improve in a couple months. I'm gonna wait a couple years though. The demand is crazy right now.
  • Options
    OK, wiseguy:

You seemed to think he wanted NAV. He said:
    "...civic ex 4-dr no NAV...$19722.00"
  • Options
    Does that include the propack ( floor mats, wheel locks, mud flaps etc?)? So far my best price has been $18350 (w/destination) + 250 for the propack. If it does, then that looks like a decent number. I think some are paying 19+ for this car so you certainly would be getting a decent deal and definetly not the hoigh price.
  • Options
    snapplesnapple Member Posts: 7
    I just did same deal on a 06 civic AT 4DR EX in silver.
    $18640- that includes $550- destination(and $140 doc fee -didn't feel like arguing)

only other charges were "state specific" tax 6%, 4 year registration w/ new plate $300 and change, and $7.50 new tire fee. (Mats and Wheel locks were included). Out the door for under $20,000 with everything, feel good about deal.

This is Central NJ. I had bought a vehicle from dealer previously. Essentially bought vehicle on phone, with info from all great posts here. :) Goal was to match Mark Roberts price, and did, more or less.
  • Options
    Great, thats a good price. I just got my lowest quote which is $18350, and that includes destination and the propack( mats, wheel locks, trunk tray, mud flaps) from the fleet dealer here in San Diego. So I think we're about the same except our state taxes are %7.75 so my OTD price will be about $20,094 -- mission accomplished! My price to hit was $18,200 so this is darn close! Maybe this isn't the lowest but it certainly is amongst the lowest!!!
  • Options
    O.K. I had to read it a third time. the "no" was on a different line and the NAV was all I saw.

Although these are easier to find, they are still not "invoice" cars. If they are, that is one ruined marketplace!
  • Options
    No problem.

Agreed, they're probably not "invoice" cars...yet. See the 2007 Hyundai Elantra? That'll provide some interesting competition, and exert some downward price pressure.
  • Options
    Huyndai has come a long way but they are still fast depreciating Korean cars that I have never considered as competition.

As used cars, we can't seem to give them away.

I guess things could change in the future?
  • Options
    doublehmandoublehman Member Posts: 3
    I dealt with multiple dealers in greater Washington D.C. area by e-mail to haggle the price down as far as possible... played one guy off the other. No one would touch the lowest offer. 17,200 on the road price. I don't have the actual receipt in front of me, but it was about 15,630 for the car, 550 for freight and normal taxes (MD) and tag/title fees to bring up to total. No processing fee!

A brief plug here for the winning dealer: Landmark Honda in Alexandria, VA. In the door and on the road in one hour and 15 minutes. No games, no tricks. Price agreed on e-mail negotiations was price I paid. One thing I noticed while there:: every buyer seemed to be happy with their deal... truly a great experience!
  • Options
    snapplesnapple Member Posts: 7
    What Hyundai cant you "give away"? Have you taken in any of the new Sonatas on trade? They are going to be a bellweather for how the Hyundai Line is going to depreciate going forward.
  • Options
    Well, we recently bought one of the new Sonatas at the auction and we ended up taking it back through the auction two months later (at a loss) when it failed to generate any activity.

So, I don't know...maybe they sell better in other parts of the country?
  • Options
    "I have never considered as competition. "

Wow. That sounds like a quote from Detroit in the 1970's, no? Be careful. Everything I've read about the newer Hyundais is that there're vastly better than even a few years ago.

We shall see.

Toyota's got a new Corolla on the way, too. I read that when they saw the new Civic, they sent it back for restyling, because the Civic looked so much better. :-)

It's great that there are so many excellent vehicles available at these price points. Competition keeps a lid on prices.
  • Options
    They HAD to improve.

Time will tell, I suppose.
  • Options
    So I heard that right now sales are slow because of tax season, is this true?

My notes has invoice for the ex at $17,614, so my last quote of 18350 (w/dest,w/propack) puts me at about $200 over invoice. Assuming the propack is worth something, thats a deal.
  • Options
    I trying to decide if I want the ext warranty. This is like taking insurance on the blackjack table. I did find an awesome deal of $750 where most dealers in my area asking $1700. My current 91 Honda w/ 220k miles runs great and wouldn't have benefited from the ext. warranty. So I thinking I'll just buy a portable NAV system and still keep another $400. Any thoughts?
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    To me, the portable NAV system is THE way to go. I have 5 cars. Imagine what that would cost to have 5 OEM nav systems? Garmin has already sent me 5 software upgrades !!! You can imagine the HASSLES if the other OEM's were that fastidious with their oem nav systems!! :):( They are of course NOT so that would raise the questions what are they doing to "KEEP UP"??

I would be not be inclined to do the extended warranty on the Honda. That is unless you have bought a known lemon. This is a GREAT way to get everything that is lemonish replaced !! :)

Kidding aside, or indeed if you do plan to buy a known lemon, I got an extended warranty on a 2001 Z06 and at a GREAT rate. Yes I did have to fulfill on a computer system piece that failed prematurely. But believe it or not, it was LESS than the premium !!!!! So close to the end of the extended warranty period the insurance company is still WAY ahead. (450 dollar fix with a 950 extended warranty cost)
  • Options
    Yep, Costco has a deal on a Garmin Nuvo GPS and its pricey @$650 but the Honda Civic NAV is not cheap! So the portable one is excellent for business traveling too!

So, I locked in my EX Honda price and at the end they added a $40 doc fee and $28 electronic filing fee. I didn't fee like arguing on these. I did discover that the trunk tray was missing and they wanted to charge me for that as an extra. So I prepared to walk but after the salesguy spoke to his "manager" they gave it to me for free. Not bad, $200 over invoice.
  • Options
    vthokvthok Member Posts: 4
    I'm looking to buy a new car. I want to trade in my 98 Honda Civic EX Sedan. I'm looking at 2006 Civic LX Sedan automatic. Whats best way to get the best price on the new Civic (website, at dealer, etc)? What is a reasonable price to expect for an LX with just floormats?

Also what is a fair price to expect on my trade in. I got 136,000 miles on it and the car has flood title on it. I was thinking 1000 bucks for the trade? Seem reasonable?
  • Options
    gregory7gregory7 Member Posts: 1
    Hey I was being haggled at a New York dealership for a 06 Civic EX 4dr AT in silver for (get this!) $20K without the destination charge! We all know this is bogus. I would like to know what dealer did you go to in Central Jersey and who did you deal with. Thanks in advance for responding.
  • Options
    jph3006jph3006 Member Posts: 49
    Hi All: These last 2 weeks of this month are an excellent time for dealing as you buy your car. People owed tax refunds got them in Feb/March time frames and others who pay taxes by April 15 are cash poor right now. So, there are excellent posts after March 1 where deals were calculated on this Civic posting site, do the homework and make an offer if you're in the market. Also, as a frame of reference, check out e-bay motors. There have been many new cars posted these last 3 days. Above all, enjoy the process.
  • Options
    hybrid93hatchhybrid93hatch Member Posts: 35
    I am looking to order/purchase a 06 automatic EX sedan w/ navigation (galaxy gray) before the end of the month. I am pretty much set on no moer than 500 above invoice, but not sure about the added fees. It's been a while since I purchased a new car. Is the $5?? destination charge fee negotiable, document fees, etc...? Basically what added fees are legit and which are BS? I don't want the extended warranty or any or the "car protectant" crap. Thanks for any info on this!! Jonathan
  • Options
    First of all, good luck trying to buy an almost impossible to find high demand car for 500.00 over invoice!

Destination charges are for real. We pay the 550.00 and pass that amount on. Doc fees can vary by huge amounts. We charge 35.00 but I've read of doc fees exceeding 500.00. That's nuts!
  • Options
    mikefm58mikefm58 Member Posts: 2,882
    In all states, as Isell says dest. charge is legit.

Doc. fees vary, some will negotiate w/o them but then adjust the selling price and write them back in on the invoice. Negotiate with these fees included.
  • Options
    hybrid93hatchhybrid93hatch Member Posts: 35
    Looking at the TMV on a EX sedan w/navi (auto.) is almost $1,200 above invoice. Wow! That's still $600 below sticker. MSRP: $21,310 INVOICE: $19,532 TMV: $20,705

I guess there is only one way to find out what kind of deal I can get. I am in the Atlanta area so I will be contacting all the dealers within the week.
  • Options
    gee35coupegee35coupe Member Posts: 3,387
    I had a great deal in the works through them if I ordered my EX 5MT NAV Coupe early. I'm sure they'd be happy to get rid of an auto sedan.
  • Options
    I say you can find a $500 over invoice deal but my advice is do not "package it" that way as you present your offer to a dealership. A $500-over-invoice offer on your EX Navi using your above posted number is a 4.6% deal on that car for the dealership. $20,062 is a 5% deal for the dealership on that car and I would pay no more than this price. Then the $550 destination fee is added in. As far as documentation fees are concerned, ONLY pay what is costs the dealership to get the title, tag, and registration for you. It is a cost of doing business that they should not profit from but many dealerships will try it. You can go to the state of Georgia's website to see what these fees are and it differs by state.

I invite you to read the following postings on this forum: 3330, 3424, 3344, 3350. All information is correct on the postings and it makes it easy for a saleman to go to his sales manager and get your deal approved if it's presented as shown.

Demand for a car is a highly regional phenomenon. I am seeing clear signs of slowing demand here in north FL for 2006 Civics. I see one dealer has a new Civic hybrid that been on the lot for 3.5 weeks now and new EXs and LXs sitting. Good luck and have fun with the buying process.
  • Options
    civic4civic4 Member Posts: 33
    I think we as consumers should form a "union" and organize a strike against any model that is being inflated due to demand. So, from 4/17/2006 if you are in the market for a new car in this category, make a concerted effort to look at other makes and models. So much attention on the Civic has made this vehicle a "God". Dealers have become arrogant and have an attitude that just makes you feel like they are doing you a favor by hearing your offers and then have a condescending demeanor when explaining the "popularity" of this vehicle in regard to your offer. I paid $16,300 for my 2004 Civic Coupe EX automatic W/ side airbags brand new and even avoided some of the added fees the dealer wanted to charge. Now, I see my same car sold as a preowned certified vehicle on dealers lots for more than I paid new. At what point do we take charge and stop the crazyness? The more the buying public allows this to happen, it will become an accepted practice.
  • Options
    dhodgedhodge Member Posts: 7
    I'm looking to get a 2006 Civic LX sedan in SW Florida. What is the best sales price I could get ($500 over invoice?) What are some payments I can expect to pay for a 60 or even 72mo with $1000 down? What fees am I going to face and what's a good deal on them?
    I need to make a decison this week. Thanks!
  • Options
    Funny post. You want to form a union because dealers won't deeply discount cars they don't have?

A better solution for you would be to just buy a car that isn't as popular. The market determines pricing.
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    LOL Isell!

It is amazing how much belly aching someone can do because a product is in demand and with a comparative price.
  • Options
    Do some research on this site after March 1, 2006 and you will get a really, really good idea how to buy right the car you seek. Good luck.
  • Options
    I understand your viewpoint and your "union" proposal. The way around this predicament is to go through many dealers until you find one willing to deal and accept your offer. I had 9 refusals of my offer until the 10th accepted my offer for a 2006 LX AT. If we as buyers will accept the idea that we must go through numbers of car dealers to ultimately have our deal accepted and go through the numbers, unpleasant as it may seem, we will get a fair deal done. The salesman's job is to inflate the deal and increase demand to maximize his profits and our job is to not over-pay for the car; know this and all is OK. Enjoy the process.
  • Options
    silvertasilverta Member Posts: 2
    I purchase my 06 Civic Ex three weeks ago from Keenan Honda in Doylestown Pa. I got the Silver EX with Black Leather Interior- The custom Leather interior was done by a authorize interior installer with heated seats. Outstanding job looks better than any factory seats that i seem or had in other cars. Cost , will i got a break as my brother inlaw is the boss here. I also got the foglights/day/night mirror/sunroof wind deflector/wheel locks. Total cost for my wheels was $20,395. I knew i got a great deal. Mileage around 35mpg city. I haven't had it on the highway long enough to see what the MPG would be. Other than that I love this car. I had change the airfilter to a k&N highflow- and added a prom chip for a little extra go power. We dyno the car last week at a friends high performance shop and the little engine that could came in at 162 bhp. Not bad for a 1.8 litre. The good news is mileage is still the same , but with a little boast. air filter & chip $175.00 well worth it. I had my windows tinted 20 percent on the back and rear sides and 35 percent on the passenger/driver side. Car looks awesome and I'm glad to have the extra shade. Hey when i want to drive fast, thats when i bring out my 1979 Anniversary Trans Am with 18,000 miles and drive like hell . For all of you who are thinking about buying a Civic. You better jump/run to your dealer before they are all gone for the year. I just solded my 2004 Dale Earnhardt supercharge Monte Carlo for this Honda Civic. You know what? I dont miss the Monte Carlo and its premiun fuel. Now I can drive to Orlando and only fillup twice, Now thats what i'm talking about.
  • Options
    rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Discounting cars you don't have is not going to happen, simple economics. However, when you see 10-15 civics on the lot, such is the case here in New Jersey ,and they still play this game, then it makes no sense. Perhaps where isell is located they have none on the lot, but not the case everywhere. If supply equals demand and the supply increases, why do the prices not come down?
  • Options
    ritlinritlin Member Posts: 36
    simple,,, they are holding out in hopes that demand will increase, and you know what? With gas prices only going up, they are probably right. In fact, the 1.8 liter will probably be more in demand than the Si.
    Isell is only part right, but supply and demand works. If we as consumers, stop demanding as much, prices will drop, they have to.
  • Options
    Hmmm. I paid $200 over invoice and they had a boatload of these 4 door civics. I certainly didn't get the feeling that this car was in short supply. One thing I found very useful was to have the price already negotiated before stepping on the lot. I sent an email to several dealers asking for a quote. Then I sent followup emails stating I wanted to pay invoice. Some dealers balked but I did get 2 offers for invoice+$200 and it included the propack and the alarm system the dealer installed ( they claim the system was worth several hundred -- I didn't care, I got it for free!). When I got to the lot they started to shuffle cars and changed prices but I was able to stick to my final price or walk.