Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    valiukasvaliukas Member Posts: 1
    Picked up my dark blue 06 Civic EX without nav today. Atlanta , GA Looks like a fair deal - $20573 out the door, that includes splash guards, floor mats, etching, pinstripes. I also got nice deck spoiler that I had to negotiate really hard, dealer said it's $469 installed!
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Saw quite a few EX's & LX's at Coral Springs Honda this afternoon. Was sitting and walking around for about 15 minutes and noone ever came out to ask if I needed some help. Unbelievable for a slow Tuesday late afternoon. 2 salespeople even walked past me on their way to get a bite to eat and never said a word to me. Are all Honda stores this lax? I wanted to start my search for new wheels today but eventually just left. Might try tomorrow late morning and see if I have better luck. Definitely preferred the Civic over the Accord.
    Time will tell though. Shame the dealership was so lousy. But will give 'em 1 more shot. Close to home & I do like that!

The Sandman :confuse:
  • Options
    shufflesshuffles Member Posts: 50
    LOL! When I bought my 2003 Accord over the net in December, 2002, I had no trouble getting it at invoice. Now I have e-mailed two local dealers for quotes, and they haven't even bothered to respond.
  • Options
    mycivicmycivic Member Posts: 6
    I just purchased a 2006 Honda Civic EX 4dr automatic for $20,183. This included tax, title, dealer fees, registration and tags. I purchased it from White Plains Honda in NY. I had no trade and paid cash.

$18,664 - Price including $550 destination charge
    $1376.47 - sales tax at 7.375%
    $67.50 - misc fees such as tire fee, etc
    $75.00 - registration and new tags.
    $20,182.97 - total out the door and into my garage
  • Options
    bach10bach10 Member Posts: 1
    I'm looking to get a 06 Civic LX with AT.
    So far I've gotten two quotes from dealers:
    first dealer --> 17800
    second dealer--> 15700

Both quotes do not include any fees or destination, just the LX base price plus the AT option

When I talked to the first dealer again she said she would match the price of the second dealer.

Now as per Edmunds, the invoice of the Civic LX with AT is 16018.

So what's going on here? Is there some sort of holdback or factory to Dealer incentive no one knows about? Or did I just run into a dealer who wants to start from the bottom and work his way up?

Any ideas?
    thx
    barr
  • Options
    jmurman42jmurman42 Member Posts: 675
    There are no factory to dealer incentives on Civic, either cash or financing.

I would ask for a complete price breakdown before I made my decision...also ask if the car is in stock.
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    It sounds like you have been lowballed. Some dealers will do this when they know you are pitting them against other dealers.
  • Options
    k8tk8t Member Posts: 2
    Ive been haggling all day and the best price I have found so far on a 2006 civic LX 2-door is $17,150 walking, and I feel like I could do better. ANYONE have a suggestion??
  • Options
    What does $17,150 walking mean?

Does that include dealer installed options? Sales Tax? Tags? Dealer Processing?

Break the numbers out for us.
  • Options
    shufflesshuffles Member Posts: 50
    Regal Honda of Lakeland, FL is offering most Civics for $950 under msrp. I guess that translates to something like $500 over invoice. Not bad if you really want a Civic. I plan to buy an Accord for not much more than a Civic would cost me.
    ;)
  • Options
    slowpedalerslowpedaler Member Posts: 62
    $17200.00. 1200 under MSRP, 300 over invoice. I felt like I could have wrangled another hundred out of them but, who needs the grief? Salespeople gotta eat, too!
  • Options
    chipkarsickerchipkarsicker Member Posts: 14
    Visited a local Honda dealer and saw a bunch of brand-new civics & accords with awful hail damage. What do the dealers usually do with these cars? Having them repaired and sold at new car prices or to sell at big discounts while having the loss covered by insurance?
  • Options
    tyggertygger Member Posts: 59
    How much extra should we pay for extended warranty??? Are they even worth it?
  • Options
    k8tk8t Member Posts: 2
    This includes everything: Taxz, tags, processing, dealer installed options...the OTD price
  • Options
    sunsoaker71sunsoaker71 Member Posts: 3
    20,339 before tax and so far I'm very impressed. This is my 3rd Civic (91 LX and 96 LX). They keep getting better. I love the ride and can't wait to whip it around after the break in. Navi manual a must read though.
  • Options
    Hey k8t, which dealer did you buy your car from??? That seems like a good price.
  • Options
    chejo28chejo28 Member Posts: 34
    hi sunsoaker71. do you mind giving me the breakdown and how much you got it for with all the taxes? where did you buy your car? is it a sedan or coupe? thanks! i'm in california and my husband and i are getting ready to buy one by the end of this year. hopefully the demand will go down by then. thanks again! :shades:
  • Options
    sunsoaker71sunsoaker71 Member Posts: 3
    Well, I worked a trade into the deal, so taxes were very minimal. It's a 4 door, in Galaxy Grey and I also got a 5yr/100K mile bumper to bumper on it with tow and roadside for another 1,500 and also a dealer installed passive alarm system. Out the door was, 23,200. Get this, if I don't use the extended after 5 years...I get a full refund. I bought it from Huntington Honda here on Long Island, very satisfied. Pretty long trip for a Honda, but you'll love the Long Island beaches.
  • Options
    nickihaaknickihaak Member Posts: 7
    Anyone know where the deal is in Texas? (Central)
    Every dealer I'v talk to quoted min of 1400.00 over invoice telling me the market went up and I cant go by edmunds figure?
    2 Dealers quote OTD
    1.22439.98 Russell & Smith Honda
    2.22879.04 Gordon Honda
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Got a quote from Pompano Honda here in South Florida for $19,300 plus tags & plates. Not a great price at this point. Not sure about how I'll handle the trade though. Some co-workers want it, but not sure if the potential aggravation later on is worth it.
    Still waiting on other internet quotes.

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    jph3006jph3006 Member Posts: 49
    Nicki: What these dealers are doing is nonsense. I priced out your deal for you as follows:

EX 4 door, automatic with Nav
    Invoice 18982
    - 3% holdback -622
    -----------------------
    dealer "cost" 18,360
    your +5% deal 19,278
    + destination fee 550
    -----------------------
    + tag, title, reg in TX
    + TX sales tax

DO NOT pay more than 20,000!!!
    The demand thing is a fantasy.

Nicki: Call many dealers and fax this offer exactly as shown with the cost of tags and sales tax calculated for an out the door price. You will get one to accept it, believe me. The TX state website will tell you the cost of tag, title, and registration fees. The dealership covers this cost and should not charge more, like in a "documentation fee."

See posting # 3494 and research the other listed postings for background information.

We love our 06 Civic LX!

Good Luck.
  • Options
    vp16vp16 Member Posts: 23
    Just went to Vandergriff Honda in Arlington. They are selling the hyprids at MSRP. However, they are tagging on unwanted add-ons such as window tinting, lojack, and some protection package. They are not willing to sell without these add-ons. They say they add these onto all their new cars. This is their way to gauge the consumer for a thousand or so more ABOVE the MSRP. Of course they give you the song and dance act about demand. I opted to be patient and wait a bit longer. The supply WILL increase. I would much rather wait or call around different dealers than to give these unscrupulous people at Vandergriff your hard earned money. You would be a fool to deal with these folks as they think you are one.
  • Options
    thank for your help
  • Options
    heavyjayheavyjay Member Posts: 1
    I requested quotes on the Civic LX AT. I received my first callback this morning and the first words out of the salesperson's mouth was that they are going at a premium. I told her I was supposed to get a quote, she insists I go there (35 miles) just to get some BS story. Guess I ain't buyin a Honda.
  • Options
    did you ever get a good deal?
    i'm going thru the same thing in these areas?
  • Options
    The pricing you are using is reasonable. We are just a shade over that by about $80 or so.

The issue is actually getting the Civic w/Navi.
  • Options
    jmurman, what's a good/reasonable price for a sedan auto LX? Thanks.
  • Options
    bon2880bon2880 Member Posts: 2
    I bought my Civic on Saturday at Honda of Tyson's Corner. I got it for $18,600. That's including 4% tax, $550 destination, $59.95 tags, and a $250 processing fee. That comes out to approximately $17,100. On top of that, I ended up buying an extended warrenty. That came out to 6yr/80K for $1,250 + tax. Overall a great experience!

Check out www.carbuyingtips.com for some good information.
  • Options
    Here is the breakdown on a Civic LX Sedan that we use.

$16,317 Sale Price
    $550 Destination
    $145 Splash Guards
    $99 Dealer Processing Fee
    $855.55 MD Sales Tax
    $195 MD Tags
    $18,161.55 on the road.

This is typically how an LX Sedan w/auto is priced.
  • Options
    are you a car salesman
  • Options
    Then does the $17,150 Out the door price posted by k8t for a LX sound like a lie?

Thanks for breaking down the list. I haven't seen a list with splash guards listed prior to yours.

Does anyone know how much the car sales tax is in Maryland and in Virginia?

Thanks again
  • Options
    IF the dealership has NO dealer installed accessories, NO processing fee, very small state sales tax and very small tags fees...you'd have to judge each state separately.

MD's sales tax is 5%, VA is 3% + some counties have an override.

Like I said in my breakdown, this is a typical LX pricing. It is VERY important for everyone that receives a price quote on any car, to have a COMPLETE breakdown.
  • Options
    hybrid93hatchhybrid93hatch Member Posts: 35
    I have spoke with 2 dealerships now: Grainger Honda out of Savannah, Ga and Willet Honda just south of Atlanta. Grainger just returned my internet inquiry and said "sticker price" for a 06 EX automatic sedan w/navigation. I was told the same thing at Willet Honda about 2 weeks ago. However, Willet called me this morning leaving a message to give him a call. I just called Willet and he claims to have sold the car I am looking for this morning. I told him I am willing to pay $20,000 (including $550) before T & T & T. He is calling me back after he speaks to his manager. I'm sure I'll have to dispute the document fees. Hope this doesn't kill the deal!! ....Just as I finished typing this the phone rings. It's the dealer saying he can do the $20,000 + t,t,t. I asked about any documents fees and sure enough he states $499.75 for docs. I tell him nevermind!! He said without it they are only making $500 on the deal. I said what about the $569 from the 3% holdback. He said that is not profit and is help cover the vehicles sitting on the lot, advertising, and expenses (I guess utilities) of the dealership.

I told him no way I am paying a document fee when it's part of your job to start. Anyhow, seems like the deal is over!! He told me that he is willing to match another dealership on docs fees.

:mad:
  • Options
    Ok, so help me understand this.

You said you'd pay 20K plus title tax and tags, right?

He called you back and said they'd do that and you asked if the Doc fee was included...here is where I'm fuzzy...the price he said that they would do is 20K plus t&t&t.

If they had 500 in doc fees and that was part of what you would agree to, then whats the deal?

Its your "Out-The-Door" price thats important. Am I understanding this right?
  • Options
    doubleman, that's sounds like the best price I've seen so far. Do you remember who you dealt with? Please let me know. Thanks!
  • Options
    Yes, 20k + TTT is what I am willing to pay.
    I've always heard the docs. fee is nonsense and should not be paid. I asked are there any other hidden fees that I need to know about once he said, "I'll do the 20k". He said the $499.75 document fee. I told him no thanks and haven't heard from him since (guess close to an hour).

Document fees are BS right?
    What about the 3% holdback? Is that to help cover the dealership cost for the cars on the lot, advertising, utilites, etc..?
  • Options
    Ok, so the 20K includes the Doc fee, right?

So, if the 20K included the doc fee and they have the car you want and this is the price you'd accept...whats the issue? If you are willing to pay 20K and they had listed choclate cake, does it matter? Especially if you get the car you want.

Get your car...and spend the rest of the summer enjoying it...quit worrying about what the dealer makes. The dealer will make their money, accept it. Just like you make yours, they will make theirs.

The dealer will have NO problems selling any Civic...
  • Options
    Although 499.75 is outrageous! We charge 35.00.

You are trying to buy a car that is almost impossible to find at a bargain price. Only 5% of Civic production are NAVI's. No smart dealer would take 20,000 for one when there is no reason to.

For the umpteenth time, holdback is NOT bottom line profit. It HELPS pay for some of the flooring and advertising. If people want to talk about holdback, they should also talk about the tremendous overhead it takes to operate a busy car dealership.

So, it sounds like with his nutty 499.00 doc. fee he was selling that NAVI for a 1000.00 over invoice deal.

Sounds pretty fantastic to me!
  • Options
    Amazing the pain some people put themselves through, isn't it?
  • Options
    No, the dealer is wanting to add the $499 doc fee to the 20k for a grand total of $20,500 + TTT.

I'm just going to fax my offer to dealers in the ATL area.
  • Options
    I don't know, I mean, you have peole here who say "you paid TOOOO much" and then those who say "I bought at over MSRP"

No wonder car buying can be confusing...hell, I've been doing this for a lot of years and some of the things I read here confuse me! :)

It all boils down to this...and this is something I beat into my salesmen. Is the car that the customer wants in stock? It all goes from there. No stock? No use splitting hairs over it.
  • Options
    Dont fax...blast faxes are worthless.

Pick up the phone and call dealerships and ask for the Internet Sales Manager...start there. Ask what they sell for, and what they have available. Make sure you can be flexiable on color and delivery time. Tell them that you are willing to place a deposit on the car and you expect a faxed Buyers Order in return.

Then see what they say. Let us know whats going on ok?

Good luck.
  • Options
    ritlinritlin Member Posts: 36
    I went to a few dealers in the Dallas area, and if you are willing to make the drive, I would suggest you come out here to Tyler. Go through the internet department, as the manager there is the best I have dealt with. THe dealer name is JackO'Diamonds. Let me know if you plan to, and I will make sure you get a good deal, atleast a few hundred off MSRP, plus no add ons, unless you want them, then negotiate low prices on them too. No big city games, like in Dallas!
  • Options
    Folks: Go back and read again post #3525 and the additional references suggested. Documentation fees are nothing more than dealers profiting from tags, license, and title. The states regulate the costs. I now live in Florida where the state/county fees are set. I bought an 06 Civic LX AT 1 month ago and I am reading EXACTLY the tag, title, and registration costs set by the state of FL. You can see the costs on your state's website.

Title: State 27.00 county 4.75 courthouse 37.00 = 68.75
    Tag/reg: State new plate $100 state registration 43.10
    county registration $3 courthouse registration $3
    =149.10
    Total Cost: $217.85

Now the dealership charges a $499 documentation fee which I vetoed because of the known exact costs which are vehicle weight dependent in Florida. The $281 difference is dealership profit added into the their profitability off your deal.

Someone commented about a dealership's costs which is true but remember that many departments exist at a dealership: new cars, used cars, auto parts, service, body shop, etc. all of which contribute to overall bottom line. New cars usually deliver the least amount of profitability but the overall costs are made up over the life of a car bought there new at the other departments.

Stick to the deal in the above referenced post. I physically went to each dealership, presented my offer and coached the salesman how to get the deal approved and waited for an answer, yes or no. Counter-offers were never entertained. The 10th dealership said yes on the 27th of the month.

Do the same and good luck.
  • Options
    Im pretty sure i called them and offered the deal #3525
    and they would'nt neg?
    Tyler
  • Options
    Go to dealer #2, have the deal written down exactly as shown on an 8.5 x 11 piece of paper and hand it to the first salesman you see and explain your offer assuming the car you want is at that dealership. If it's no again, dealer #3. I ended up 100 miles from my home where dealer #10 accepted. Have fun with the process.
  • Options
    beernutbeernut Member Posts: 329
    It has nothing to do with getting a good car, getting a good deal or dealing with a good dealership (which HAS value - if you can find one). For many people, the only thing that matters is the illusion that they are in control. It's called, "Getting My Way".
  • Options
    And it drives these people nuts when a dealer won't cheap sell a car that is in short supply and high demand!
  • Options
    carsearch5carsearch5 Member Posts: 1
    I've just started checking dealer inventories online to see which dealers to visit and also noticed that none of them (the 15 or so dealers i searched in NJ) appear to have 2006 Civic EX sedans with manual transmissions.

Has anyone been shopping in NJ? Have you seen Civic EXs with a manual transmission anywhere? Or am I going to have to settle for automatic?

Thanks.
  • Options
    ritlinritlin Member Posts: 36
    Nicki, if you want to go by jph's advice, more power to ya. Supply and demand runs our nation as well as the world's economy. Like it or not, this is true for everything.
    In addition, when you have a manufacturer who has never discounted their cars a lot, and has the C&D car of the years and North American car of the year, SEMA car, you aren't going to find a deal like 3525(1 in a million I'm sure).
    Plus, the math in 3525 doesn't work. The tax in Texas is 6.25, so figure that, as well as t&l into the $19k figure and it still goes over $20k. That's assuming you can find a dealer to go below HIS invoice to begin with. Not going to happen.
    Find a between $200-$1000 below MSRP and you will be doing good. Sure, you can wait, but just realize that Honda has increased the price of the car by 1.13% already. Plus, with gas prices going up, demand will also go up. So, waiting isn't always a better thing to do. If you wait long enough, I'm sure you can get a pretty good deal, but how long is long enough? Remember too, that these cars will hold their value for a long time.
    Try to talk with the internet manager, tell him David sent you, and he will make you a FAIR deal!