Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    As long as all the figures are shown in the post...what's the problem. Folks here can read and can pull out the figures that are relevant to them...you dig!
    There are no hard & fast rules here on the way people post. I kinda like to see everything and I'm sure other do also. If you don't, just read the parts you want to. Simple.

The Sandman :)
  • Options
    rikrakrikrak Member Posts: 31
    Perhaps you are right, and no disrespect intended. However, I must say in the few days I visited this site to get information for my purchase of a new Civic I found it mostly worthless. Again, no disrespect but the Civic has a fairly simple price plan compared to many cars. You are going to get a DX, LX, EX or Si with the basic modifiers being Sedan or Coupe then Automatic or Standard Trans. I found it difficult to seperate that basic information. State taxes and registrations clearly vary. I live in St.Louis County and if one calculates ones taxes even between two bordering municipalities after one pays the State, ones cost can vary close to $200 When I came here searching for information I wanted to quickly see a price range I might expect to pay for a specific model. I think anyone wants to know at what point a "fair" profit for the Dealer becomes a "rip-off" for the Consumer. So if there are no rules then could you have a rule to not object to the fact that there are no rules? Anyway, I recently passed on my purchase price and experience, what I learned and will pass on is "Watch those (extra) Dealer Fees" if that is a help to someone on thier purchase that is all I intended so as an old beatnick might say :shades: I'll plant you now and dig you later :shades:
  • Options
    ponderpointponderpoint Member Posts: 277
    Has the furor over the Civic Si Coupe died down at all? I can't stand when dealers have a "hot model" and usually wait out the fanaticism.

I'm a buyer, and wondered if they're starting to sit just a little longer on the lot.... Any info out there?
  • Options
    nr37nr37 Member Posts: 6
    We are looking to buy a '07 Civic LX sedan -manual in the near future. The prices we're seeing here in southern VT and surrounding areas are basically all the same. MSRP is $17,510. We have no trade in, and like everyone, are trying to get the best deal we can. My question{s} is this: is there much haggling room, so to speak, when dealing with such a popular car? My husband can tend to be brutal on car salesmen and says if he knows this time going in that basically, this is what the dealership is drawing the line at, then he'll behave ;) ! KBB and Edmunds are saying people in our area are paying $17,250. Sound reasonable to anyone? Also, is there anyone out there who has a recommendation for a Honda dealership in our area? We are close to NH & MA, but would love to not drive 100 miles just to get the best deal. We're looking at Carbone Honda of Bennington at this point. Thanks for the {anticipated} help!
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Indeed you are at the high point of the yearly cycle. To answer the question from your eyes, it might be instructive to go to those same Honda dealers and inquire about (now old) 2006 models. The utility of manuals are not many Civic's come with manuals. (% and vol wise) So the "leftovers" command a further discount.

So for example, I got my 2004 Honda Civic, when the 2005 were inbound (but not yet arrived) to the dealerships. I was able to get the vehicle BELOW invoice. Negotiations lasted all of 4 mins and it took that long because he offered me coffee and had to doctor it for me. After the handshake, he told me to get lost with the car. :) He said take it home overnight. Since this was the actual car I would have bought I took it around a bit, stopped in a parking lot and inspected it with a semi fine tooth comb. The next 6 months indicated I could have sold this car used with almost whatever miles for MORE than I purchased it new. Indeed Edmunds.com lists the 2004 as one of the top 10 used cars. Let us know how you make out. All the best.
  • Options
    Yes, it is a popular car but it is clearly going for less than MSRP. As an example I bought a 2007 LX Coupe Automatic in St.Louis on 2/10/2007 total agreed price $17,350 I was also charged a $150 dealer/processing fee, which really is kind of :mad: bs :mad: but the price paid for this car (LX Coupe Auto) was $17,500 so a Sedan with a manual should easily be $1,000 less. I would say a reasonable price range would put $16,800 at the very top but it seems like $17,204 is the average price paid according to Kelly's Blue Book nation wide.

According to Kelly's Blue Book; for Civic LX Sedan 5 Speed Shift

MSRP is $17,555
    Invoice $16,125
    Average Price Paid $17,204

These prices include the $595 for transportation, however, I CHOOSE not to include any Taxes, Title or Registration Fees. Clearly, I'm no expert, so double check everything I've said, just pulled it straight out of Kelly's.

For what it is worth I did NOT bargin or haggle with a salesman. I did everything on the Internet, contacted three or four dealers told them I was going to buy from one of them as soon as we made an acceptable deal. To tell you the truth the one I closed with we sent like 3 or 4 emails set a price they had all the paperwork perpared and I walked in singed the papers and was done in like fifteen minutes. I probably (or maybe) could have done a tad better had I done the whole traditional saleman type purchase but this was actually a fairly pleasant experience. As I point out, I was unprepared for the "Dealer" fees of $150 (?) it can vary greatly from one dealer to another. It was printed on my contract (not added in) so it looked very offical :confuse: . However, there is NO law one pays dealer fees. That was just a $150 gift to the dealer. I was bright enough to say if I have to pay a fee you need to toss in (I requested the mud flaps and trunk tray) something. Over $200 on invoice, probably cost the dealer $50 A week later my wife bought a Miata and after the deal was done they also had a "Dealer Fee" we said we would walk out before we would pay for them to "just do" the paperwork and they dropped the charge.

Good Luck--if I had it to do again I'd go Internet. My wife bought her's face to face and spent 3 hours--I came over and we got the one fee removed but to be honest she was paying pretty top dollar for a convertable in the winter.
  • Options
    jmastronjmastron Member Posts: 11
    Wanted to share the price and experience I had purchasing an Atomic Blue EX automatic sedan last night. I started with the Edmunds "request quote" form to get hooked up with local dealers, and separately emailed some of the others. Ended up getting several very good initial offers (~$18700-$18900), with the low one at $18379. After confirming the low offer was real (he "accidentally" included $595 for GAP insurance in the first out-the-door total), forwarded that to the dealer who had the color I wanted, and they beat it by $200.

Final price breakdown (this is in Northern California; Sacramento area)

$18,179 base price(including destination)
    $55 doc fee (I just asked about and included in the totals when comparing, i.e. considered the real quote to be $18234)
    $1532 tax/registration (includes 7.75% sales tax and registration fees matching DMV calculations)
    $8.75 tire fee (California mandated)
    ------------------------
    $19775 out the door (minus trade; see below)

This seems to be $250 or so below invoice; they even left the wheel locks that were already on the car and dealer sticker (I would have made them take them off before paying $49 for them). Paid cash, so no financing, and they accepted "no" on the extras packages with just a little pressure.

All price negotiation was done before mentioning trade-in. They offered $500 for my 95 Neon; not horrible considering it needs quite a bit of work; could have kept it and tried to get a couple hundred more privately, but it wasn't worth it.

The purchase process was very relaxed, since the price part was done:
    1) Arrived at dealership, met "E-commerce" rep
    2) She sent me out by myself with the car (brand new, with the plastic still on the interior. Since it was raining I left it on for the test drive). Kind of weird since she didn't even copy my license, and all the verifiable ID she had was my email address.
    3) Came back; she asked if I wanted to look at other colors etc; I said no, I was ready to buy.
    4) Some basic paperwork, credit app (even when paying by check, in my experience), etc.
    5) Sales rep came back, gave me the manuals to look over while I waited, spent some time going over break-in/other features.
    6) In to finance; took about 20 minutes. Price was as agreed, nothing hidden (except the $55 doc fee, but I knew about that)
    7) Cleaned out and said goodbye to trusty Neon, drove away in new car!

Total time was about 2 hours including 1/2 hour drive; could have shaved that down with a shorter drive or stopping the finance guy before all the explanations, but not bad.

A couple of tips:

1) I found it best to ignore phone calls and do all of the negotiation by email. That gave me time to think about and organize responses, and avoided all of the "how much do you make/what do you do/how much do you want to pay" questions. Just said I was in meetings all day (which was true). The dealer I went with called a couple times, but each time followed up with an email with actual numbers in it. YMMV; not allowing a personal "rapport" first could help or hurt getting the best price. I didn't even call back the ones who just called or sent a generic email reply.

2) Always confirm the quote is "real" by asking what the out-the-door price after getting a quote. By doing that, I was able to get them to show the doc/etc dealer fees they were planning to charge, and compare the "real" price from dealer to dealer (e.g. the comparison price above is $18234). The one dealer I mentioned above gave an out-the-door price that didn't add up with my calculation of taxes/registration. He then claimed to have "accidentally" left GAP insurance in (no discussion of financing at that point); I don't know if they would have hoped I wouldn't add the numbers myself, or what.

All in all, a pleasant experience. I will definitely approach car buying this way again. I was surprised to get such good offers right off the bad; avoiding 3-4 rounds of "well, we might be able to take off the markup and get to MSRP..." Might be the Internet, might be the end of the month, might be the "rainy Tuesday night" effect. At least for car that's not in extreme demand, they seem to know that you're comparing prices, and really are interested in getting the sale.
  • Options
    heyoheyo Member Posts: 5
    I finally picked up my new Civic on Tuesday and love it.

I know that around 20 or so miles per hour the transmission shifts down (and I actually dig this). However - this morning it started to feel like the car was jerking slightly forward when coming to a stop.

When I'm at a stop - the tach needle hovers below 1. For some reason I thought it previously sat above 1 when idleing at a stop. Does this sound weird to anybody????

Thanks in advance!!!!!
    Have a great day!!!!!
  • Options
    mycalbmycalb Member Posts: 4
    Well, first let me thank everyone who provides relevant info regarding their purchasing experience.

Last night, I bought a 2007 Civic EX sedan with AT (atomic blue) from Concord Honda in CA. Very smooth experience using the internet sales dept.

Sent out emails to 6 area dealerships and this was the best without having to haggle much: (paid cash and no trade-in)

$18,495 + $55 doc fee (wouldn't budge) = $18,550 + TTL
    (includes destination)

I know that someone informed us that edmunds current invoice price is incorrect, since it increased 1/07. They said it was $100 increase according to their 2 dealers, which would make it $18,552. Just a FYI, according to 2 local dealers, I was told it is now $18,729.

Either way, I'm pleased with my price considering I sent out emails late Thurs pm and bought Fri afternoon without a hassle. :shades:

Good luck...
  • Options
    Looks like you did right fine. For grins I went over to Kelly's Blue Book which seems to be fairly current and they had it for $18,452 so you done right good and if you had a good experience with the whole internet purchase scene all the better, enjoy. I've run mine now for about 700 miles and have enjoyed it a lot. I just had some HIR (not HID) headlamp bulbs put in. Now my wife has the HID set-up in her fancy Miata and they ain't that bright but they are real nice, not a spectacular difference but more light and a better pattern. If you want to read up on them look up Toshiba HIR Bulbs, I think they are stock on a Viper, so they are very, very fast bulbs :shades: .
  • Options
    automationautomation Member Posts: 2
    Just purchased a Civic LX 4dr Sedan Automatic from Anderson Honda in Palo Alto, CA. I got some quotes online, ask them to beat the lowest one I got, and they did. I'm very pleased with the experience and Anderson's service.

Here's what I paid:

$16542 base price + $55 Documentation fee + TTL

Total out the door: $18,188
  • Options
    jmastronjmastron Member Posts: 11
    Interesting; one of the voicemail messages I got (see my experience a few posts back) said "his cost" was $18729 also. I'm sure if we'd been at a dealership, they would have shown us an paper with a ~$250 "advertising" charge or something. I didn't talk with that dealer, since I wanted to do it all via email and he wouldn't quote over email (and I already had several good quotes from closer places)

The way I calculate it, the real dealer cost for an EX/4dr/Auto is:

$18452 - holdback ($20105 * 3% = 603.50) = $17849

Add $100 to that if the invoice price really did go up, although many of the cars on the lot probably came in before that increase.

Obviously, they have to make money; anything in the mid $18000s seems like a really good deal.
  • Options
    jbdmr9jbdmr9 Member Posts: 1
    Just picked up a 2007 Civic Sedan EX automatic transmission (Tango Red/Ivory cloth interior), build date 2/16/07, at Shadyside Honda in Pittsburgh, PA for the following price:

$18,799 ($250 over dealer claimed invoice of 18,549,
    based upon 1/15/07 Honda price increase,
    including $595 destination)
    + 216 (installed splash guards + all weather floor
    mats)

$19,015 Total price (+ 7% tax, $55 document fee and
    $33.50 license and title fee)

I took advantage of Honda's 2.9%/36 months financing deal for March.

I passed on the extended warranty: $805 for 5 years; $905 for 6 years) based upon my past very positive experience with Hondas.

After driving this car for a few days I can report that it is extremely well designed and built and is an unbelievable value compared to the other cars in this class (Mazda3, Toyota Corolla, etc.). Excellent government (NHTSA) and IIHS crash test scores and the extensive standard safey features (front air bags, side air bags, side curtain air bags, 4-wheel disc brakes, ABS/EBD brakes, daytime running lights, etc.) make this car the clear class leader for safety. The dashboard layout, including the two-tiered speedometer and tachometer is very well done and looks great at night. The Ipod/MP3 player auxiliary input jack works great with my Ipod nano. It handles beautifully, is very frugal with gas and is the perfect size. It also has a very nice sporty look to it, especially compared to the dowdy Corolla. It reminds me of an Acura TL from the side and rear. After shopping around in this class for a few months and reading all of the literature (Consumer Reports, Consumers Digest, Car and Driver, CNet.com, MSN.com, Edmunds, etc.) I have only one suggestion for those that are just starting out: save your time and go right to the Honda dealer. The Civic's blend of style, features, safety and cost can't be beat. [No, I don't work for Honda or a dealer, I just think this is a great little car!].
  • Options
    I would agree...one dealership had mentioned that their price included HDAG (probably Honda Dealers Advertising Group fee).

I asked every dealer about all fees on their quote to be accurate before I went to my local dealership with the lowest overall price. None of the dealers broke out this fee but our finance mgr did confirm that their holdback was cut.

Thanks for the great writeup on your purchase experience. Enjoy! I put 150+ miles on mine today. We left our '07 Mazda3 grand touring wagon at home...will write up a comparision when I can.
  • Options
    sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    We also have a '05 Mazda 3s along with our '06 Civic LX and I smile whenever I walk into the garage. Two great cars with a very high fun factor built in. Who could ask for more.
    Just got home from the gas station...the price went up another $.04 since yesterday. Paid $2.49 today! Whats going on here? Glad that our Civic is very economical.

The Sandman :confuse:
  • Options
    isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Yes, they are very, very fast bulbs allright.

They burn out VERY quickly. I speak from experience.

Also,I don't know about Toshibas, but some of these can overheat your wiring.
  • Options
    Sandman...an excellent choice of vehicles! :)

We really dig our '07 Mazda 3s, so much fun to drive with every comfort gizmo. Just wish the mpg was better but I often do some "spirited" driving. After 4k+ miles, we're averaging just 26mpg, mostly highway.

Bought the Civic for better mpg, considering gas is now $2.90+ in the Bay Area. We'll use this one for commuting (60+ miles/day) and the 3s for the weekend road trips.

Couldn't bring myself to buy a hybrid. My wife wanted one but I don't think I'd enjoy driving it. We're mostly freeway driving, so it wouldn't help much. The Civic/Mazda combo makes me smile too! Especially since we just dumped our '96 and '98 Jettas...after 5 VW's, I'll never go back!
  • Options
    ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    Yes, Except for the 2003 TDI Jetta, I really do not think I would jump to a VW gasser. There is way too much anecdotal problems with the 2.0, 1.8T's percentage wise.
  • Options
    hskrshwnhskrshwn Member Posts: 4
    accelerator01 - It was at Superior In Omaha, Nebraska. Quite a ways away from NJ. Good luck on your search though.
  • Options
    I'm no expert, but were the HIR bulbs you had Toshiba? It's my understanding that Toshiba is the only legit manufacturer now of the HIR bulbs and others are considered quite substandard. As they are the same watts as stock there should be little or no heat difference and from what I read they have about the same life span as a stock bulb. These are also used on John Deer tractors (not as fast as a Viper). Anyway, I have installed them and like the pattern and light out-put. I did disconnect the DRL to conserve use and will monitor if I get a decent "life" from them. A note for anyone who might be interested they do require that the base is correctly :confuse: "trimmed" :confuse: to fit, it's easy but it is required. :shades:
  • Options
    dondon116dondon116 Member Posts: 1
    There appears to have a lot of room for negotiating the price on '07 Civic LX. I bought mine (07' Civic LX automatic transmission) on Feb. 14 in Toledo, OH. The MSRP price was $18,355 then. However, based on my calculation, a fair price was $16,700, which roughly represented $16,261 of the invoice prices for the car and $595 for destination charge, and then minus $162 (ie., half of the hold back that dealers would get by selling the car). From some other web-sites, it appeared that Honda dealers would get 2% of the invoice price as the hold-back benefit. And, I think that dealers can keep 1% of this hold-back benefits.

I sent this price to 5 Honda dealers around Toledo area, four of them agreed to sell a Civic LX auto at this price. In the end, I just picked one dealer that offered me lowest documentation fees (i.e., $170). Given that so many dealers were willing to sell this car at this price, I would say that even at this price, these dealers could still make some profits, although not much (probably around $172 plus documentation fees). But, that is OK. with me. After all, dealers also need to make a living! It should be noted that my calculation does not involves taxes, because taxes varies across different areas and may creates confusions. Hope that my experience helps!
  • Options
    nr37nr37 Member Posts: 6
    Wow! What a great answer to my question! The MSRP that you were finding in Toledo is the same as what we are finding here in Vermont. The fact that you had so many positive responses to your {much} lower offer gives me great hope.

One reason we were considering getting the manual trans was the fact that is was about $800 cheaper. With my luck, a week after we get one with that transmission , I'll break an arm or leg :sick: .....hah! Now we may try to get a better offer on an automatic after reading this post.

Anyway, I think I've nearly convinced my husband to do the 'internet route' with this car. It seems as though so many of you have done it this way and have had great success. Plus the fact that we live out in the sticks and it's at least 25 miles in any direction to get to a Honda dealership. This way, we aren't wasting a day dealing with the whole draining negotiating process. {Although I hear there are some who still prefer to do it that way..} I find it's also easier to be tough when I'm not dealing with someone face to face. My husband doesn't have the same problem ;) -only when he needs to of course!

So, thank you so much for your response. Maybe we'll consider getting our car a little sooner now.
  • Options
    redbrienredbrien Member Posts: 8
    Hay, I been reading alot of these post and have to give you my price. I bought from Boch Honda the #1 Selling Honda Dealer on the planet. Your treated like you are buying a pound of turkey at a supermarket but hay they give you the best price. I paid $17,435.00 for a EX Manual '07. Plus a $298.00 doc fee. Which totals $17733.00 plus TTL. I feel thats a fair price since last summer they weren't budging on the price. Alright, gatta go. Later
  • Options
    dbp54dbp54 Member Posts: 5
    I got an offer for a LX for $400 below invoice ($16450 + TTT) from a out-of-town dealer. Is it normal or should I be careful?
  • Options
    anelfnamedwallanelfnamedwall Member Posts: 4
    Hi guys,
    First off thanks to anyone who posts and shares prices.

Second....

Does 20,000 OTD sound fair? That's the quote Palm Harbor Honda gave me. Seems a little high, but have no idea what price I should be going after. Does anyone know what number I should try and get? I'm completely lost.

Thanks!
  • Options
    sircaralotsircaralot Member Posts: 10
    Can anyone tell me what is the best price for this car? Just the price below or above invoice. I'm looking to purchase one and I want to know my starting bargain price for Honda Civic 2007 Coupe LX. Thanks
  • Options
    I'm just thinking maybe you read through some of these recent notes? As you should know MSRP means little you should be able to get fairly current information from both this Edmunds "main" site and Kelly's Blue Book. You didn't mention if you want a stick or auto, I forget exactly but I think that adds about $700. Anyway I fetched these numbers about a week ago from Kelly's; (as you can see "current" price is better now) ;)

According to Kelly's Blue Book; for Civic LX Sedan 5 Speed Shift

MSRP is $17,555
    Invoice $16,125 ---now this week (3/9/07) $16,027
    Average Price Paid $17,204 -------(3/9/07) $17,008

I'd say with this "seeming" price drop around $16,500 should do it. Some people claim to do much better than that and maybe they do. I would just say there are dealers out there, if you are ready to buy who would be happy to make a quick $500 from you and they still get some "hold back" too. I would read through the past couple weeks of posts and double check numbers with at least the two big sites.

These prices include the $595 for transportation, however, I CHOOSE not to include any Taxes, Title or Registration Fees. Clearly, I'm no expert, so double check everything I've said, just pulled it straight out of Kelly's.

Even with the National Average Paid of $17,204 (current $17,008) seems most people here do much better than that.

Good Luck
  • Options
    I forgot to mention that it is an automatic Honda Civic Coupe LX. I check the prices with Edmunds and calculated my roughly final price. I don't know if this is right or wrong and if this is a good bargaining amount.

MSRP = $17,560
    Invoice = $16,078

MSRP*.03 (holdback %)= $526.80

Invoice - $526.80 = $15,551.20 (Price after holdback)

$15,551.20 + $595 (destination charge) = $16,146.20

$16,146.20*.07 (my state tax rate) = $1,130.24

$16,146.20 + $1,130.24 = $17,276.44

So i guess that the title and registration fees will be around $300.00

A) $16,146.20 (price with destination charge) good or bad deal?

B) $17,576.44 (OTD price) good or bad deal?

$16,146.20 is the price I will start to bargain. I appreciate all opinions and helpful tips. Thanks
  • Options
    I hope I don't tick anyone off but lets leave out your TTL. I see an Invoice price like you of $16,078 then you have the "Destination" Charge of $595 so we now have $16,673 I know I don't have the hold back figured in at all. I would venture to say that most dealers really are not going to want to come to far south of this line of $16,673 on an LX Auto as "seemingly" thier only profit at this sale point is the "Hold Back". Now perhaps there are some other built in profits for the dealer I can't say I know just how it works. Despite some of the claims that other put up on this forum it's hard for me to believe that any dealer will choose to sell a rather popular, top selling vehicle and end up with little or nothing (or as some claim at a loss). Sure a salesman might be willing to take $300 as opposed to $500 because these buyers are just so good. My guess is however, there are many more professional sales people than professional car buyers. The good sales people often allow the buyer to walk away convinced that that got such a good deal ;) that the poor salesman is lucky to keep his job. Now, no disrespect here as maybe everyone speaks the truth, I have seen some amazing claims over the past month since I purchased my Auto LX Coupe and clearly compared to some I was just screwed. However, NOT including TTL I came to an agreed price on the same car you are talking about, I had several "Internet" offers from 4 area dealers (purchased on 2/10/07) of $17,350 I was "unprepaired" and screwed when I got hit with a "paperwork" fee of $150 (I should have walked, I'm sure they would have dropped it to make the sale). Now if you can really write that check and get title to a 2007 LX Coupe for the $16,146.20 with out any other BS/trades OTD price well :shades: you da man and next time I get a car I will be happy to give you $200 to close the deal for me? This forum sometimes seems like more fiction than fact sort of like everyone I know seems to have broke the bank in Vegas too. I'd just say that my numbers are so bad compared to others here that I must be telling the truth. Had the car for about a month and although the daily mpg is a bit of a stretch from what :confuse: Honda claims, Consumers Report says 28 mpg overall (that's what I get) the car is really very nice all around. At the end of the month I'm taking a 2,000 mile plus "highway" ride so I'll track my mpg on that. :surprise: So without any reference to dig this or that I hope you close a kick-[non-permissible content removed] deal :shades:
  • Options
    clubmonacoclubmonaco Member Posts: 3
    My husband and I just got a Civic LX sedan in DFW metro area for 18,345 (out of door price) with tinted window and polyshield environmental protection package for both exterior and interior. :) The details are
    Out of door price $18,100 with tinted window.
    Polyshield environmental protection package: $230 plus tax (we added it on after the deal was made)
    Total: $18,345

1. we started to shop for the same car from last late December. I didn’t know this forum and I went to a dealer and got a leasing pre-contract for 1000 down and 320 per month for a 3-year lease. It was late that night. The sales person tricked me because I was inexperienced and lack of information. That’s why I think negotiating price in the car dealership is not fair. They have a crew of experts with lots of information and we buyers have no Internet but brain only. They charged me $1000 deposit. After I went back that night and checked this forum, I was very disappointed with my decision. But the sales person would not refund me. I told him that I don’t want to lease it how about I buy it for the out of door price we agreed. He said we never agreed on anything. The only thing set stone was the leasing contract. He was lying. I had a out of door price for 18,500 and I ask him how much it would be if I lease it. He told me 320 with 1000 down. I didn’t have a loan calculator. I believed him and signed the pre-contract. That’s bull. My husband emailed the CEO of the car dealership and he requested a refund for us. That was a nightmare with not bad ending. I could get the car for 18,500 but I was so tried of dealing with the sales people there.

2. So I tried to do the internet pricing just like everyone here did. We sent emails to about 8 dealers in the DFW area and ask them quote on the Civic LX sedan (Royal Blue Pearl only) without accessories. Most of them were not willing to give an out-of-door price simply because they don’t want the buyer print the offer and go somewhere else to beat it. The best deal I got for the 1st day quoting was $17,300 plus TTL. That’s too high for me. The next day, I received a price for $16,166 + designation fee $595 + TTL. The Internet sales girl even gave me every single fee associated. I did my calculation and that was $18029. It was a fair price to me. Also I had an offer of EX sedan for 17,772 plus TTL (sounds like a good deal?!) from another dealer. Since the latter dealer was closer to me so I went there for an EX but I found out that was the price with no accessories and store unit only. But there were not store units without accessories. So that’s a trick even the final price was not that bad 18,800 out of door price. But I am not willing to pay 1,800 more for an EX. So I planned to walk away but they beat my offer I had from another dealer for $17,975 for the LX sedan. We were happy to stay simply because we didn’t want to go through the whole process again. We added tinted window for $125 and polyshield environmental package for 230 because you know the Texas summer.

We are happy for the price we got - $18345 (including TTL) for everything we wanted and the color. Oh, I almost forgot. I financed through Honda and rate is 3.9% for the 36 months even though I was not qualified for the super preferred rate 2.9%. (still :D )
    Thanks again for everyone’s input. :shades: :shades: :shades:
  • Options
    Not to offend, but for comparison of the car price what are the TTL in the DFW?

In St.Louis I paid $1,208.02 that is for Sales Tax/Title Transfer/Registration and a 2 Year License Plate.

In the end how close to the $16,761 did you get for an LX Sedan and did you have a Standard or Automatic Trans? Without the windows or interior? :confuse:

Nice finance perk, very nice car be taking mine through DFW on the way to :shades: SPI :shades: SpringBreak
  • Options
    Not a problem. It is a automatic transmission. The interior and exterior polyshield protection is just the after-market gimmick. It helps protect the paint against acid rain, dirt, sun, bird dropping and etc. Also for the interior protection, they simply put some chemical to protect the material against sun, food & coffee spill. I am not sure the technical stuff. But I like the 6-year warranty on it. If I do get the coffee spill which I can't take it off, they will treat it or replace it if they can't make it. Most people don't suggest to buy. But I bought it anyway because I need it for the summer.
    More details are
    base price 16.695
    Sales Tax: 1,045 (6.25%)
    Doc fee: 55
    State Inpection: 21.75
    License Fee:104
    Dealer Inventory Tax: 39.03
    Total: 17,960

Plus 125(window tint) + 230 (Polyshield Protection)

So the real total price was $18,345

I know I am not as good as a lot of experienced buyers here. But I don't want to struggle more to bargin for little lower. :D Good luck on your car shopping.
  • Options
    Can you tell me when did they reply back to you with the lower price? Is it around the end of the month or last day of the month? I think you have a good deal with your car. The dealer probably profits from 3% holdback ($500-600).
  • Options
    Palm Harbor Honda

$17,100 includes dealer fees (not tax, title).

LX Sedan Automatic

Sound good?
  • Options
    I haven't successfully purchase the car I want, but I'm still shopping around for quotes and good deals. This is how I calculate the holdback. I take the MSRP times 3% and use the invoice price - (MSRP*3%). Doing that your car would be $15,728.20 + $595(destination charge) = $16,323.20

That is the ideal price without dealer fees, tax,title, etc.

I'm waiting until the end of the month for better deals.
  • Options
    ;) Sounds very good to me. Mix driving with auto shows 29mpg this time for me, inline with Consumers Report findings and what Honda "will" claim next year when the new rules go into effect.
  • Options
    I got the lower price on Mar 5th. The second business day I started to ask around for the quote.

Does the date matter? I never thought about that. I only know car dealerships try to sell the most possible in the end of year to close the fiscal year.

Thanks, I think my deal is not bad. :)
  • Options
    can you tell us the price of the car + destination charge? I want to say it is almost good price, but i want to see how much it is bottom price without tax,title, and other fees.
  • Options
    patil1388patil1388 Member Posts: 6
    U got a nice deal. I am trying to find such a deal for myself. I live in the DFW area. Can u tell me the name of the dealer who gave u this deal. Maybe he can give me the same deal. I am planning to buy the same trim on Monday or Tuesday. Thanks
  • Options
    Destination Charge for all Civics is $595 regardless, same in California as New York. The common thought is that the best deals are to be had at the end of the month as Sales Staff are on a commission and may be more eager to get something in a check now as opposed to maybe getting more later. The other thing, although it's time is "almost" passed you will see more sales as the weather warms and people get out, so dealers are more willing to wait for a sale to get the most they can. It is said that the best time to buy most cars is the end of January or the end of February as sales tend to be slow at dealers as most of us over spent on the holidays and a big ticket item is not the first thing one thinks of when you see your bills start to roll in. All that said, you need to make a sale to get money and people are getting good deals on the Civic. These prices are easy to find Edmunds or Kelly's has them.

Off Kelly's an EX Coupe with Destination Charge; (Invoice)

Manual $17,815
    Auto $18,549

http://www.kbb.com/KBB/NewCars/2007_Honda_Civic.aspx :shades:
  • Options
    badman2badman2 Member Posts: 11
    Has honda ever offered any rebates or incentives for purchacing a new civic? I have been looking for awhile, I see them for the toyta corolla but never the honda civic.
  • Options
    What is a reasonable or good range to buy a 2006 Honda Civic Coupe EX automatic ? It is 1 year old and has 4,000 miles. Can anyone help me out with the price beside Kelly Blue Book's prices? Thanks
  • Options
    ct07ct07 Member Posts: 5
    Just signed a 36 mth lease with a Greenwich,CT Honda Dealership. $239/mth, $2000 due at signing. 12k miles.

I turned in a 4yr lease on a 2003 Civic which had 22,000 miles over. I had $3,300 in extra charge but I think they waived that.

Did I get a good deal??
  • Options
    Palm Harbor Honda

Bought March 10th:

$17,100 after dealer fees.

Hope this helps!
  • Options
    ed1979ed1979 Member Posts: 6
    Bought a 2007 Civic EX sedan, automatic w/ NAV from Honda of Princeton, NJ. Here's the price breakdown:

Car - $20,386 (included wheel locks, all-season mats, and splash guards)
    Vehicle tire fee - $7.50
    Doc fee - $167.50

Also sales tax of course, but who cares since your state's rate may be different.

Invoice, not including accessories, is $20,048. They were the best quote in my area. Very easy to deal with. No gimmicks or pressure to add anything.

Thanks for all the info on here. Not many quotes lately w/ NAV, but hopefully this will help someone else.
  • Options
    jworthingtonjworthington Member Posts: 42
    I just priced a 2007 EX NAVI AT and MT for the following:

$18,910 (Manual w/nav)+TTL ($19,957.27 OTD)
    $19,616 (auto w/nav)+TTL ($20,684.45 OTD)

These are at a dealer in NC. This is a great deal and will probably jump at it in the next few days.

Wanted to let everyone else know.
  • Options
    icyfireicyfire Member Posts: 3
    Hey,

I got a dealer down to about $18300 OTD for a Civic LX automatic sedan, any color. I plan to go to about $18000 but just wanted a benchmark from people here to see whether I'm doing well. Thx.
  • Options
    I assume you have been reading some of the past posts? It's a bit unclear what you are asking by OTD? If you are including TTL, well who knows as that can vary by State/City now if you mean the cost of the car plus any "dealer" fees for $18,000 NO that is NOT a good deal. It is not a like you are being cheated but MSRP is like $18,355 and Invoice is $16,944 again, according to Kelly's $17,988 is the average people are paying. Claims on this forum, have been much lower. I would check with more than one dealer for sure, as well as, read some past posts. However, I'd say $17,600 is at the upper end of the scale for an LX Sedan with Auto--Only my opinion now based on a purchase of 5 weeks ago for the same car except Coupe and they came down real quick to $17,350 mind you other's have done better.
  • Options
    loachloach Member Posts: 246
    I was quoted $17,280 OTD (excl TT&L) for a 2007 Civic LX automatic sedan by an internet manager in Omaha, NE. I ended up locating a used 2006 LX with 6500 miles on it and bought it instead for $15,600 OTD (excl-TT&L).
  • Options
    icyfireicyfire Member Posts: 3
    sorry for being unclear, I meant $18300 including TT&L. I'll give you a further breakdown:

Base price $16856 (invoice)
    Sales tax (NJ 7%) $1200
    Tags $250

There was also a doc fee of $200 but he pretty much got rid of it.

There was also this optional secure etch thing for $300 but I'm not too sure whether to keep it and I told him to exclude it for now.

So final price, OTD, incl TT&L of about $18300

Without TT&L its the invoice price of $16856. He already knew that I researched invoices and started me off at invoice price without negotiating.
    Thx for helping me out.