Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2013 and earlier-Honda Civic Prices Paid and Buying Experience

Comments

• guevaraguevara Member Posts: 1
    I got my EX sedan automatic for $18,652 (including destination charges) and helped my brother get an LX sedan automatic for $16,901 (including destination charges). Paid $45.00 dollar document fee’s both times. Also, there were no trade in's and I got a great loan rate from my local credit union.

Thanks to all of you on this forum and consumer reports, I learned how to shop for cars, Thanks!

-Guevara-
  • wil02wil02 Member Posts: 10
    Hi Guevara,

Where did you buy the Civic, I'm in the SF bay area and looking for a Civic LX Auto for my GF too.

Wil :)
  • dannyht2005dannyht2005 Member Posts: 6
    Go to San Leandro Honda, Wil, just got a Civic sedan LX auto for $16,745 plus ttl
  • darlingcrvdarlingcrv Member Posts: 13
    Helped my step-son purchase a LX Auto Coupe Royal Blue Pearl this past week in Ohio. Purchase was made at Victory Honda in Sandusky. Here is the breakdown:

$17,100 - including destination
    $250 - ohio doc fee - bs as we all know
    $1,127.75 - sales tax 6.5%
    $25.00 - Title/Tags
    $18,502.75 OTD

Step-son had excellent credit and was able to go the Honda Finance 60 mo 6.59% rather than use their graduate program (as he is a recent college graduate) their rate was nearly 9%!!!

Made the deal via internet and a couple of phone calls within two days. Could have got another couple hundred knocked off if I wanted to spend more time calling around but my time calling/waiting/comparing is more valuable to me than a few hundred bucks.

They have a refer a friend/relative program that pays you $100 for each person you bring in that purchases a car, so I'll be receiving that back and it can be applied to insurance on the vehicle for him.

They did not have the vehicle on the lot when I made the deal but were able to get it in less than 24 hours from one of their other sister dealerships in Michigan. I've been happy overall with this dealership as we purchased our 2006 CRV SE from them last July. The service department is great and they even repaired a tire on my new CRV when I ran over something at no cost shortly after the purchase. They offer first and every fifth oil change at no charge as part of the deal.

This is the third Honda to join our family. We also have a 2000 CRV SE with about 75,000 miles. I cannot say enough good things about my Honda vehicles they are definitely low cost to own vehicles, dependable and well worth every penny I've paid for them in my opinion.

I hope this helps those shopping for this model to get the deal they want. Happy shopping everyone! Good Luck!
  • reddognatereddognate Member Posts: 1
    Purchased yesterday at a Columbus, Oh dealer after emailing several dealers for about week. Only called a dealer when my target was reached.

Price of Vehicle including destination: 18,424
    Documentation Fee: 250.00
    Title Fees: 5.00
    Temp Tags: 10.50
    Sales Tax: (6.75% Based on 18,674)
    OTD Price: 19,950.00

I negotiated during the week to get out the door at that price which I thought was fair to both sides. In order to do this they needed to lower the price below Edmunds Invoice + Destination in order to still get their "documentation fee".

Hope this will help others. This forum helped me get a fair target price.
  • plistplist Member Posts: 19
    OK bought 07 ex coupe
    I spent three hours emailing salesman back and forth, making sure we broke math out and making it very clear what I wanted and would expect when I drove two hours to sign paper work and what I would get for my trade in. I was brutal & mean and this young man was very professional, its after that you have to watch out when you sit across finance guy to finalize everything. Don't be nice and be careful when they start polite talk before they explain break out sheets. You don't need gap insurance or extended warranty or diamond fusion! Before I sat down I sneered at him and when he opened his mouth about extended warranty I snapped at him and said lets make this very clear I don't need anything and here is the math I expect! After it was over I was very pleasant and said how great I thought all of them were and how professional they handled me and my attitude, thank you!I would recommand Shearer Honda in Rutland Vermont!

My question is Finance charge (The dollar amount the credit will cost you?)section why is this added in after doc fee DMV fees on one sheet, but not on long document?

I think what bothers me is the order the math figures line up on the page, it confuses and makes me off my feet. If you do the break out on your own and in the order you think makes sense you don't add in finance charge?

It only appears on one form, but the large long doc it doesn't appear in math. Anyway I guess in the end I did get what I wanted and what I expected. after doc fees destination fees the price was $18041.00.

I love the car, fleet, nimble,quick response, a light quality vehicle, love it and well worth the price. Love how my speed is displayed, just a great design over all!
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    I am not sure how they do it in your state or the laws that govern it, but from your description, it appears they finance those line items as part of the loan. So I am thinking it would be easy to so called "opt" out" by paying stuff like taxes, dmv, doc fees, etc. up front. The disadvantage of course is you come up with more money up front. This would in turn cut down your so called financed amount, and as a consequence lower your monthly payments. Doc fees as you probably know, can be negotiated. Indeed, paying someone to sit across from you so he can up sell you seems a tad oxymoronic.
  • ajoninaajonina Member Posts: 1
    I received a price quote for 2007 Civic LX Auto Sedan for
    2007 Civic LX Auto sedan with Spash guards + DMV fees = OTD $ 17200.00. ( No sales tax in OR)

What do you think ? Did I get a good offer ?
  • hoho823hoho823 Member Posts: 6
    Am I overpaying if the car has no extra options :confuse: ?

Base Price: $17,114.56

Out the Door Price: $18,100
  • outbackvandyoutbackvandy Member Posts: 8
    You should be able to get the invoice price for a Honda Civic LX Sedan.
    With suggestions from helpful memebers on this board, I got a quote of invoice price plus free splash guard. 16944 + 50 (ad fee).
    Try email a few more dealers and see whether you can find a better deal.
  • hondaguy67hondaguy67 Member Posts: 66
    sir,

I have a couple of questions for you.

1:) you say no one needs gap insurance but that is not true. If you traded in a car and had negative equity gap would cover the difference between what your loan amount is for and what your insurance will pay. people that have financed their negative equity, and their fees will be in big trouble if they get into an accident and their car is totalled if they do not have gap. THE EXTRA AMOUNT OF THEIR LOAN WILL COME OUT OF THEIR POCKET.

2:) If you plan on keeping your car for more than 3 years it is smart on your part to get an extended warranty. It is cheapest if you buy it when you buy your car. the longer you wait the more expensive it is. why on earth would you not want to be covered in case of the worst? most people do not have enough to pay to get their car fixed if they need to.

3:) last but by no means least why is it you felt you had to be mean and rude to the salespeople at the dealership????? they are human just like you are and do not appreciate being treated like crap. I for one probably would have mirrored youru attitude at best or refused to sell you a car at worst depending on how rude you actually were.

It is attitudes like yours that ruins what should be a great experience for most people. buying a car is usuzally the second biggest purchase a person makes in their life after their house. it should be exciting for all involved incvluding the sales and finance people. I wish it would have been me you came to see so I could have told you to leave and never come back. we do not need your kind of attitude in ours or any other business.
    l.et me ask you a question. Do yo knwo what the average markup on a car is??? Do yo uknow what the average is on lets say a new suit is???

let me answer cause you appearently do not know.

the average markup on a car is between 5-9% not really a whole lot when compared to the garment industry standard of 100% or even more.

do you ask the salesperson at Sacks 5th avenue what the invoice on their suit is???? I think not. you pay what the tag says. at least in our business we give you the oppurtunity to negotiate a better prive then the "tag"

as far as muddying the waters about how business is done that is also BS. with the advent of the internet you can find outu exactly how much a dealer pays for a vehicle. it is not smoke and mirrors it is straighforward facts.

some of you people rezally need a reality check.
  • jfritschjfritsch Member Posts: 958
    The markup may well be 10% after rebate, hidden dealer incentive, etc. The trick is to smoke this out. Invoice has been a nominal figure for many cars for more than 15 years.

I usually discourage extended warranties because most people will be taken. Honda is one of the few who let their dealers compete on the internet for their Hondacare warranty so that is an exception. A 8/120 for the Accord is about 850 on the internet while most will get taken for 1500-2000 in the finance office. myhondawarranty.com

Happy Huntin
    --jjf

l.et me ask you a question. Do yo knwo what the average markup on a car is??? Do yo uknow what the average is on lets say a new suit is???

let me answer cause you appearently do not know.

the average markup on a car is between 5-9% not really a whole lot when compared to the garment industry standard of 100% or even more.

do you ask the salesperson at Sacks 5th avenue what the invoice on their suit is???? I think not. you pay what the tag says. at least in our business we give you the oppurtunity to negotiate a better prive then the "tag"

as far as muddying the waters about how business is done that is also BS. with the advent of the internet you can find outu exactly how much a dealer pays for a vehicle. it is not smoke and mirrors it is straighforward facts.

some of you people rezally need a reality check.
  • ruking1ruking1 Member Posts: 19,826
    ..."A 8/120 for the Accord is about 850 on the internet while most will get taken for 1500-2000 in the finance office. myhondawarranty.com "...

To add to what you are saying: Is a 8 year/120k miles is tacked onto the normal 3 year/36k miles oem warranty period ie an 11 year 156 k mile TOTAL warranty? If not, the math would indicated a (-) minus to get real years and mileage guarantees; which really would equal: 5 years/84k miles for the price ranges you mentioned.

So if I may comment, the lower profit margins on the vehicle per se, are offset by the opportunities to sell the higher % profit items such as leases, loans, equipment not really germane to point a to point b transportation etc. On the back end, retail and wholesale parts, labor, etc.
  • pomnaspomnas Member Posts: 1
    16800 + tax(9.1% in WA) + 249(title, lic., doc. etc) = 18,577.80

I haven't got any of the security system, extended warranties they tried to sell to me. What do you guys think?
  • herotakesafallherotakesafall Member Posts: 103
    Hmmm. My dad just bought a Civic LX auto for $16,900 (including all fees except tax), but I don't think he knew about the lack of splash guards. Anybody know how much Honda charges for adding them? He already signed, so I'm guessing it won't come cheap!
  • ipswitchipswitch Member Posts: 1
    I was offered 17,258 + 1,428 taxes, 185 fees. 55 doc ect..
    total about 18,926. otd
    is this a good price?, should I be trying for a better deal
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760
    This forum is for your personal experiences in shopping and/or buying a Honda Civic.. and, what price you might have paid..

Personally directed or general posts have been and will continue to be deleted. Any member that persists in posting without staying on-topic will lose their posting privileges.

If you think this means the "other guy", then you are wrong... it means YOU.

People come here to find out what others have paid for Honda Civics. If you can't further that discussion, then please don't post.

regards,
    kyfdx

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

I posted how I bought my honda that set a fire storm, sorry, but sick of being taken, I have bought ten vehicles in the last 11 years and becasue of sites like this I have finally found a backbone and walked out the door with a sense I wasn't raked over the coals as I was with the GTO I purchased a year ago. I bought two Honda Ridglines for my company, I went back to that dealer after reading this site to purchase my Civic and they didn't want to negotiate, or have anything to do with competing with the other dealers I was negotiating with via email. They refuse to change thier ways and are feeling the internet presence in thier sales. That dealership now advertises more frequently then usual I noticed. I do think sites like this and the internet have contributed to change a good change for consumer.
    Making a deal through email really helped me by undestanding thier math break out, it also gave me a chance to think about the current deal on table. I'm a nice person, too nice. I left the dealership that I treated very firmly thanking them up & down shaking my salesmans hand saying how professional he was through the process. When Honda called I gave that dealership an excellent rating. When they screwed up the paper work and needed stuff resigned I paid for overnight shipping so it got back to them fast. Look both sides walked away happy, they made money and I love my civic with the sense I understood and fought for what I wanted. As someone on this site said earlier I don't feel like crap when I walk over to my car. It doesn't remind me I got screwed like my GTO does! :mad:
  • nr37nr37 Member Posts: 6
    Hi all,

I know one of you talked about splash guards on a new Civic. I can't seem to find out what they retail for. We are are seriously thinking of asking the dealership to install them for us, but would like to know what a decent price to pay for them would be! We haven't picked out or ordered our car yet, so I'm assuming that this would be a good time to request it???
    Appreciative of any help,
    Nancy
  • aaronr121aaronr121 Member Posts: 91
    Purchased a 2007 Civic SI Sedan, Hab. Red, base SI sedan model from Reading Honda.

Price: $20,433
    Tax (PA 6%): $1,225.98
    Tags: 163.50
    OTD: $21,822.48
    4.9% financing, 60 months

No ext. warranties or anything else.
  • kchandrankchandran Member Posts: 2
    Hi all,

My wife and I picked up our 2007 Civic LX 4-dr sedan (automatic) (Alabaster Silver) today at Ray Price Honda in the Poconos (eastern PA). We live in Brooklyn, NYC. Trucking our 1 1/2 year old son 2 hours each way wasn't fun, but was worth it! I used the "fax attack" approach recommended by various folks (see www.fightingchance.com -- well worth the $45) to get price quotes from dealers and negotiate a final deal. Two cardinal rules: (1) Never offer a price; and (2) never walk into a car showroom before negotiating the price. Fighting Chance teaches how to negotiate by pitting dealers against one another. This is usually how people buy everything else, but for some reason, this logic seems to be turned on its head when people buy cars. :confuse:

I put a $250 deposit on the car the day before going down to the dealership. Also got my insurance co. (Geico) to fax insurance cards over to the dealer.

I paid:

Cost of car plus destination charge = $16,744 (invoice = $16,944 (?))
    NY state tax (8.375%) = $1,402.31
    Dealer fees, tags, and NY registration fees = $274 (NY reg is about $180 for a new car)
    Grand total = $18,420.31

They had my car waiting for me. It was clean inside and out, had a full tank of gas, and had less than 2 miles on the odometer. The agent who spoke with me over the phone gave me a tour of the car's features, and I then met with the sales manager to close the deal. He stood by his price quote and I wrote the dealership a check for the amount due less the deposit (I went with a Capital One loan). He did try to get me switch to Honda financing and to buy an extended warranty (6 years, 100,000 miles). When I demurred on the warranty, he dropped the price from $1400 to $950 in 2 seconds! I didn't bite on either offer.

They took care of all the NY state paperwork and we will get plates, title, and registration in the mail. No need to schlep to the DMV. Altogether an easy and pleasant experience with good service. No complaints.

One interesting thing the sales manager said was that he "just didn't get why" no other dealers were willing to beat $16,744. He also said that he's happy when people drive in and make the dealership a couple of thousand dollars. I'm speculating that they pay $13,000-$14,000 per car? Sounds like a pretty good margin to me!

I've been looking at this forum periodically and have benefited from the posts of what people paid and their buying experiences. Thanks! :)

-Kartik

wrote them a check
    I generally do a search on google under Honda Acessories, You should see a multitude of after market Genuine Honda parts and find them there. I order my off line and have my dealer install them, I ordered full nose mask, splash guards, fog lights for whole sale, but sorry cannot find that info now, that is at my office!
    Good show on the warranty. Now if you're interested you can get a a 8/120 hondacare warranty for the civic for $895 or a 6/100 for $695. Other internet honda dealers may be less. I believe you can buy it towards the end of the std warranty for 14% more. myhondawarranty.com

jjf

They had my car waiting for me. It was clean inside and out, had a full tank of gas, and had less than 2 miles on the odometer. The agent who spoke with me over the phone gave me a tour of the car's features, and I then met with the sales manager to close the deal. He stood by his price quote and I wrote the dealership a check for the amount due less the deposit (I went with a Capital One loan). He did try to get me switch to Honda financing and to buy an extended warranty (6 years, 100,000 miles). When I demurred on the warranty, he dropped the price from $1400 to $950 in 2 seconds! I didn't bite on either offer.
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    If your new Civic had less than 2 miles on it, they couldn't have done a Pre-Delivery Inspection!

They come off the trucks with that mileage and driving them several more miles is required during the PDI.

You might want to check on this.
  • sandman46sandman46 Member Posts: 1,798
    Still loving my '06 LX. Drives like a dream and ergonomically, everything just falls to hand. Very happy with the comfort of the seats even with my bad spine. The only thing I was a bit put off by was the buying experience. I don't understand why the salesman has to let another guy come in to "close" the deal. My internet guy was great but his manager was a bit on the pushy side...he just rubbed me the wrong way with his "style". But I felt that my salesman did a great job for me so I bought there. In hind sight, I probaly should've walked out. But love the car...just not the buying experience!

The Sandman :)
  • qincaliqincali Member Posts: 3
    I just priced a Civic EX with Nav in the San Jose Area:

$19548 + TTL

There's not much in the forums about the EX with navigation, but I'll probably move on this one soon.
  • gizmo7gizmo7 Member Posts: 3
    which dealership did you get your civic EX from in San Jose
    because we are in the market to purchase one.
  • wyldcat89wyldcat89 Member Posts: 8
    I just bought my 07 Civic Sedan EX (without Navi) on Saturday night. I originally went to Beaverton Honda (state of Oregon) that morning and test drove the EX and the SI. Decided on the EX because of fuel economy rather than horsepower, and went inside to talk about it. I was trading in my gas hog 2005 Nissan Frontier which had a KBB and Edmunds trade value of $16-16.5. The dealer must have thought I was too young to know better or too stupid to care, but he offered me $12,900. I was in shock, he was being serious. I asked him where he got those numbers because I'd already been offered $16k from another dealer that lacked the exact color I wanted. After raising my voice, one of the Managers came over to negotiate the trade.. he up'd the offer to $14k. I showed them my papers stating the worth of my truck and they changed their tune rather quickly. Now willing to give me $16, I decided to walk anyway.. why deal with a dealership you don't feel comfortable with right? I just didn't feel it was necessary to work that hard to reach an agreement.

So I went home, hopped on the computer, emailed everybody and their mother, looking for an "out the door" price quote stating I was ready to buy ASAP. Most dealers responded with the standard "come on in and we'll talk about it" emails. I hate those. Why can't you just answer the question directly! Then, I got a quote for $18,607 out the door from Jay Lee Honda in Gladstone.. 45 minutes later I was driving the car home. Now THEY were a delight to deal with. The sales person was new, but she didn't show it. I never once felt like I was being pressured or made to feel like they knew what was better for me than I did. Very happy with the whole deal and I love my car!! Best car buying experience so far.
    Hi All,
    I'm wanting to buy a Honda dx the one that runs on Natural gas. I am wondering if anyone has bought one and and how much did they pay. Also where did they buy it? I can go anywhere from southern cal to Northern ca.

Thanks
  • yeuemhoaiyeuemhoai Member Posts: 9
    I also look for 2007 Civic SI Coupe and got a offer of $20,485 before TTL. Please chime in and let me know if you think this can be lowered.
    TIA.
  • xmontxxmontx Member Posts: 18
    wow what state do you live in to get it at that price. I live in north eastern state and they all have been around 25k which includes tax and tags. I got mine when the 2007 rolled in the lots for 23k that includes tax and tags etc (MD tax) with summer tires, slash guard, wheel locks, etc...but the only thing i didn't get were 18" rims and navigation. but you can get it around 22k easy with tax and tags included, it depends on where you live and if the dealer needs to sell it before the month ends etc.
  • yeuemhoaiyeuemhoai Member Posts: 9
    I live in MA, just got another quote for 2007 Black Si Coupe (base model) of $19,788 or Habanero Red for $400 more before tax and tags.
  • qincaliqincali Member Posts: 3
    The quote was from South Bay Honda in Los Gatos. They also quoted 22690 for the Hybird with Navigation.

I actually purchased the hybrid for the above price, but from San Leandro Honda.
    Thanks. But I made a mistake I was looking for a price on tha Honda GX the natural gas hond. I their anyone out their that has purchased on and how do you like it. I would like to know where I can get a good price. I got a quote from Dublin Cal. and they said the best price out the door was 26,600 kinda pricey.
  • ggg5ggg5 Member Posts: 20
    I got a quote today of $18750 + Tax (6%) & other fees, about $20K out the door.
    This is in MI, near Detroit.
    I see a lot of folks posting prices here but they are not specific about the options. For example wyldcat89 above, states "for $18,607 out the door" for the same car I am buying. But does not specific auto or manual trans.
    Either I am an idiot, or bad at bargaining or this fellow has luck or prices are different in that part of the country or?...but all I saw on the Internet plus these posts and dealing with 3 local dealers competitively, I am getting a good price.

The quote by wyldcat89 means that before taxes he is paying way less than the quotes I am getting.
    Anyhow, these posts, like any other Internet information, are suspect because there is no proof, just someone writing.

Also, the Car.com and other sites, when I price the car, claim I should be paying ~$20K for the car BEFORE taxes and fees. I am going to pay $20K AFTER fees. Go figure, they are wrong too! Glad I can contributre to this forum instead of just asking for help. Have a great day everyone!
  • pegasus17pegasus17 Member Posts: 536
    You could try this for a comparison. My local SW Ohio dealer does e-mail quotes with little info required up front. Send her a request at sales@whitehonda.dealerspace.com for what you want and get a quick quote. nothing to lose...
    Unfortunately the address you provided (saleswhitehonda.dealerspace.com ) did not work on the internet or via my e-mail.
    Can you provide the correct address or the details about the dealer so I can locate it on my own?
    Thanks again.
    Made a mistake when copying the address, sent e-mail. My bad.
    Thanks.
  • kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,760

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• wyldcat89wyldcat89 Member Posts: 8
    Would you like me to send you a picture of my contact?? I got a EX Sedan Automatic out the door for $18,607. Like I'm going to come on here an lie?? What purpose does that serve? The whole point of this forum is to help each other with information. I didn't negotiate that price, I asked each dealer for their bottom line, out the door (dmv,+ fees included). Over the last week I've received 2-3 more quotes for right around the same price, give or take $100 but I've already bought my car.

I looked at Civic's listed on the internet in Iowa with way better prices than I got, but I don't live in Iowa, I live in Oregon and I do believe location has something to do with it. To be honest with you, I passed over at least 8 dealerships via email because they wouldn't be honest and up front about the "OTD" price, you may have to be patient and keep looking. If you're ready to buy ASAP, let the internet manager know that and be honest with him or her if you expect it in return.

P.S. I live in a state without sales tax so that may have something to do with it. And I'm not a "fellow", I'm a female. Thanks.
    i always hesitate before calling people liars but your last statement is a nothing less that a huge lie.the dealer in no way made "thousands" on you. if he mad a couple hundred that would be saying too much.

rotflmao 13k-14k for that car, hilarious. come on people this is a forum for people to learn from why try to mess it up for others by giving them unrealistic and false information?
    I don't think most people are lying. It is a guess what any dealership is making on a car as invoice has become a nominal figure over the years and only the owners really know their profit. In addition OTD can vary as some states have $300 in sales taxes and others $1700.

Possibly uninformed opinion? maybe. Lie? I could purchase $500 below invoice and say the dealer made thousands off me. I really wouldn't know for sure as I don't have the figures. Most salesmen and managers don't either. (there is a high turnover rate) Given the oversupply situation in the auto industry and posts on this board I would doubt it but wouldn't know for sure.

The important thing is to work the best deal in your area. These boards give a general idea of prices being worked all over the nation. Whether a few individuals in an area found a dealer to really drop his pants and take a loss on a car to make a quota or just posted a typo is irrelevant. Its the general trend. This is superior to the edmunds TMV or other "market" price figures as I'm sure most of you will agree.

Check out my message 14394 in the Accord prices paid area for useful info to learn how to buy a car.

Happy Hunting
    --jjf

always hesitate before calling people liars but your last statement is a nothing less that a huge lie.the dealer in no way made "thousands" on you. if he mad a couple hundred that would be saying too much.

rotflmao 13k-14k for that car, hilarious. come on people this is a forum for people to learn from why try to mess it up for others by giving them unrealistic and false information?
  • schnelschnel Member Posts: 3
    I just placed an order for my first Honda Civic, a new 2007 Civic Hybrid with Navigation System, from Brewster Honda in Brewster, NY. I also think I got a really great price for it. I'm paying $23,016, inclusive of everything (destination, title, registration, conveyance, the works!). Also, because I live in CT, no sales tax thanks to the CT tax-exempt law for qualified hybrids. I'm taking delivery on it on Tuesday. Will probably buy the 7-year/80,000 mile Honda Care warranty through another dealer because Brewster was marking up the warranty by over a thousand dollars (maybe to recover some lost profit on the car?). Hopefully, I'll be a happy Honda customer come next week. :)
  • brooklyn813brooklyn813 Member Posts: 2
    Just bought a 2007 Honda Civic LX (4dr automatic) at Bay Ridge Honda in Brooklyn and came out with an OTD of 18,055. (well really $18,555 since I put down $500).

I negotiated with info from this forum and got the dealer down to 16,400 + dest.

so breaks down as $16,400 + $595 (dest) + $1423 (tax 8.375%) + $137.50 (transfer, inspect, etc) - $500.00 (deposit) = $18055.

Overall, I think this is a decent deal as I really wanted them to add a roof rack which they just couldnt do, only if I brought in a roof rack and then they installed. I started out negotiating from $16,900 (their first offer). I then went to $16,700, then $16,600 and finally $16,400. In all honesty I think you could probably get them down lower, but at some point it becomes too much haggling for me and I was happy with the price.

FWIW, I went in to buy a FIT but left with a Civic for the following reasons

1) It just bothered me to pay full price for the FIT as they simply won't neogitiate on it...so you end up paying more for less. I left with the Civic at a lower price than the FIT (which they would not go below $16,900 for the FIT Sport AT).

2) The dealer only had 2 FITS and they seemed desperate to get rid of them, the one they really wanted me to buy was sitting on the floor and had a scratch in the door. Once they wouldnt negotiate for it being a floor model and having a scratch, the deal was over for the FIT. The other Fit they had in stock was manual transmission, which I didn't want.

3) The FIT has a cheap feel to it in my opinion. I mean it has this faux sporty styling that I always think of as cheap, (this is prob just my own bias though).

4) It seems like in real world driving the Civic gets better mpg than the fit.

5) I was really bothered by the gas tank being so small (10.3 gallons versus 13.5 on the Civici) on the FIT and it being located in the front/center near the passengers. I just don't see that as being safe for some reason, but I am not an engineer and not really sure...just made me feel uncomfortable.

In any case, either car would be a good buy, just refuse to pay sticker on a car just because its popular...that just doesn't make sense to me.

Happy hunting!
    I certainly implied that perhaps your were lying, and so, my apologies. The fact that you did not pay taxes (6% in MI) certainly makes sense in terms of what you paid.
    My best offer so far for a Civic EX / auto is $18750 plus taxes & fees, and without really haggling at all.
    Interestingly, received from Dayton / Ohio dealer Internet quote for $18,497 plus taxes, etc (dealer suggested by another contributor here, thanks!).
    Why would they quote below invoice is a mystery to me, but I am challenging local dealers to match or explain why not.
    These forums are great! I am learning enough to feel comfortable via knowledge gained here to discuss intelligently price with dealers.
    By the way, I was ready to purchase a blue Civic which vibrated terribly at speeds of 40 mpg. Car had less than 2 miles, which was pointed by someone else here to mean no one checked that car. I was the test driver and was disappointed by that. So, test drive and look for all the specific problems pointed out by other owners in other sections of this forum. Looking forward to my new car!
  • webaggiewebaggie Member Posts: 5
    Brooklyn813 - So you basically got your Civix LX for $16,995 plus TTL etc. I sent an email quote request to two local dealers and they both immediately gave me a $16,944 price (plus TTL)without any negotiations, which is dealer invoice price according to Edmonds.com. One dealer said if I come in to the dealership in person he could possibly get that price lower. Not sure how much lower they would go. From reviewing this forumn, it seems that $16,750 was about the lowest one I saw. I'll go see him Monday.
  • kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    Speaking of the Civic LX automatic, what is the difference between the LX and EX? Is it really worth paying the extra for the EX? I had a '02 Civic EX coupe and rarely used the moon roof. Also, only had 12 more horses. Loved the car, but had problems so traded it in for an '03 CRV a year ago. Now looking for another Civic. Thanks.
    This is my first new car for personal use since 1980 and at 52 years young I do not think I will ever be able to treat myself again. So for me the extras are worth it: a sunroof, the 4 wheel disk brakes, the alloy wheels, the outside temperature readout (comes real handy when I am wondering if it is icing outside or not), the better radio with extra base speaker. I also do not think I will use the sunroof a lot but what the heck. In the end, a few thousand dollars for luxury versus more basic transportation. It is a personal decision, but for me, it is worth it. Good luck!
  • kathyc1kathyc1 Member Posts: 138
    You make a good point. Thank you.