Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2014 Honda CR-V Prices Paid and Buying Experiences

Comments

• maxb1maxb1 Member Posts: 9

Hey everyone!

Here is the best deal I'm getting in MA for a base LX with AWD with 5 year 1.9% financing

MSRP $25200
    Discount Price $21982 including destination
    Doc fees, title and reg $369 +$135
    6.25% MA sales tax $1374

Total out the door around $23860. I'm trying to get to $23300 OTD, is that a reasonable target around MA? Or am I being too greedy?

• brian125brian125 Member Posts: 5,244
    edited August 2014

maxb1,

Your deal if the doc fee charge was included is 1571 below dealers invoice price on the Lx model.

doc fee's are between 369 to 400 in the MA. area.

A target price of 1500 to 2k below dealers invoice price in MA is where you should be. You need to negotiate these next 3 days with more dealers to get a better price................. otherwise your deal is good.

There are buyers who made deals over 2k below on CRv's in Boston. . Use my tips and advice from prior posting on how to get that kind of price if your still hungry for more savings.

23 Telluride SX-P X-Line, 23 Camry XSE

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

Honda programs run through Labor Day, September 2nd.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

• aramarksoxaramarksox Member Posts: 4

I got 21600 in MA including destination for LX CRV with AWD... ended up being easier than I thought to pit one dealership against the other... 21982 -> 21850 -> 21600

• ajenkins82ajenkins82 Member Posts: 3

Thanks for all the help here... tons of great information for my wife and I buying our first new car.

Looking at the LX AWD in the greater Kansas City area and wondering if those of you in the know could provide some information on what sort of dealer fees to expect.

We're hoping to close a deal by the end of September and so far the best offer we've had has been $22,900 + $270 admin fee (I'm not sure if that's the only dealer fee) + Title/Taxes. That particular Internet Sales Manager told us their invoice number was "around $23,500.

Any thoughts? I'm going to use @brian125's email template for further price requests, but any other thoughts would be welcome. Thanks in advance!

edited August 2014

ajenkins82

As you see the above post in M.A. @aramarksox bought the same model for 1200 less than what your looking at right now. Above post price may not be obtainable in MO. But follow my prior posting on how to and you will have a chance to get close to if not better than 21,600 price. .. keep me posted I will walk you thru this.. please read my priors so I don't have to repeat same buying tips over and over again......good luck

• ajenkins82ajenkins82 Member Posts: 3

@brian125‌

Thanks for the quick response. I'm still making my way through the 37 pages of wisdom here. I'll continue reading and keep in mind @aramarksox recent purchase price. Thanks again.

• stayghoststayghost Member Posts: 30
    edited August 2014

@Brian125 sending emails tonight, just wanted to check if I'm applying your math correctly (for MA)

HONDA CRV

• $27,334 CRV-LX Invoice:
    • $273 Regional Fee
    • $830 Destination Fee
    • $28,438 TOTAL INVOICE

• -$2,000 Requested Discount Off Invoice

• -$500 Requested Dealer Cash
    • -$400 Requested Doc Fee Offset

• $25,538 MY OFFER (rounded to $25,500)

SUBARU FORESTER

• $23,639 2.5i Premium AWD Invoice:
    • $1,182 Options (All Weather, Fog Lights, Popular Pkg 1)
    • $519 Regional Fee
    • $850 Destination Fee
    • $26,190 TOTAL INVOICE

• -$500 Requested Discount Off Invoice

• $25,290 MY OFFER (rounded to $25,250)
      (I actually might send out offers of $23,750 aiming high ... based on sale prices being reported on Subaru Forester Org.)

• maxb1maxb1 Member Posts: 9

ok quick update. Got $23400 with everything included and 1.9%.

edited August 2014

@maxb1 said:
    ok quick update. Got $23400 with everything included and 1.9%.

Max,

I know your model but for future posts. re-post the following info so the other members can either contribute or see what pricing is in your state.

Post every time your exact model and state so we don't have to go back AND FIND YOUR ORIGINAL POST with that info... most buyers have no clue what model your talking about. and it slows up these boards.

OTD numbers only help someone in your buying state with the same tax rates and dealer doc fee charges. Its always best to post Dealer selling price. What that dealers doc fee charge is, and if the destination charge of 830 was included..

If you re-post this info I will take a look at your deal and comment. tks.

• lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788

The internet sales manager at Herb Chambers Honda of Boston insists $27,796 for EX-L AWD with Nav (includes dest. charge). The same dealership in Westborough (also Herb Chambers Honda) quoted $27,388 (includes dest. charge) on Monday but they changed it to $28,388 today saying BS like incentive and availability have changed during the course of the month. $1000 different just in 3 days!!! This is BS!

tell them thanks, pound sand

edited August 2014

@stayghost said:
    Brian125 sending emails tonight, just wanted to check if I'm applying your math correctly (for MA)

HONDA CRV

• $27,334 CRV-LX Invoice:
    • $273 Regional Fee
    • $830 Destination Fee
    • $28,438 TOTAL INVOICE

• -$2,000 Requested Discount Off Invoice

• -$500 Requested Dealer Cash

• $25,538 MY OFFER (rounded to $25,500)

I hope your not sending this outlined price list to all your targeted dealers. There is no need to.

Other than having the model price wrong your numbers are on point. getting 2500 below invoice will be hard thou. If your a good negotiator and pit these dealers against each other the last 2 days this month you may be able to secure a deal between 2k and 2500 below.

take your models invoice price minus your target price to buy and send out your emails .. use my emailed format I posted on one of the other pages.

Maybe someone can help us with what page numbers I wrote them on.

CRV, LX, awd models invoice with destination charge is 23,718. Minus 2k or slightly lower price for the immediate sale Tomm. That's it.... Compensate the 400 doc fee with your offer price. This price will include the dealer giving you the 500 cash.

1500 to 2k is about the norm for a good sale in Boston. above 2k you will have to work for it.

This regional fee of 273.... dealers are not adding that onto your bill of sale. Nobody has paid this charge that I'm aware of. Just be mindful when completing the signing of the buyers order they don't slip that charge in below the final buying sales number..

lets Re-do your numbers so when you send out your emails you and dealer are on the same page.

LX, awd model w /dest charge included... make sure you write it or tell dealers this.

23,718 minus your offer/ target price of xxx = xxx

This price you arrive at[ xxx ] now has the dealers doc fee charge and your 500 dealer cash incentive built into this number. Now all you have to do is work your best deal with your target dealership. Once you both agree on a selling price //w/ dest charge included. dealer will apply the OTD pricing.

taxes, tags, there doc fee charge... maybe a small tire fee charge, or internet charge and your done.

There are 1 or 2 more buyers this month looking in the M.A. area. You guys should keep in touch with how your progress is going

• willigetacrvwilligetacrv Member Posts: 2

Hello.

First I want to thank everyone for posting all this good info.

I'm in the Chicago area and am looking at getting a 2014 CR-V LX AWD.

I have emailed around 10 dealers so far asking for a price of $21,950 including destination. So far the only dealer to offer that is Honda of Kenosha.

$21,120.00 Sale Price
    +$830.00 Destination Charge (This is the same for all Honda dealers)
    +$1,613.05 7.25% Sales Tax
    +$221.00 Title and Registration Fee
    +$298.97 Additional Services Fee
    $24,083.02 Total "Out-The-Door" Price

I'm not sure about the additional services fee. Seems like they are trying to pad the price up.

I went to Valley Honda as it is the closest Honda dealer to me and asked what they could do. At first they said the quote I got must have been for a 2WD model because that price is too good. I called Kenosha and double checked and they agreed the quote is for an AWD. I had them send me an OTD price that I posted above. Valley Honda said they couldn't do that price though. The best they could do is ~$24,680 OTD. I even asked for some free oil changes and the all weather floor mats thrown in and they came back and said they could only do 1 oil change and 10% off the floor mats. I don't even really care that much for the floor mats, just curious to see how they would respond. The salesman I had even printed out 1 bad review of Kenosha. It is a Google Review from Karen Deane (8 months ago) basically saying that Kenosha had given Karen a quote but ended up trying to sell at a higher price and what I found funny, Karen recommends buying from Valley Honda.

I haven't shown the Kenosha quote to any other dealers yet. Honda of Lisle said they might be able to match or beat after they see a full breakdown including any disclaimers. I'm going to send that tonight along with contact other dealers.
    Continental Honda said $22,717.76 including dest. plus ttl after I sent my first email to them for $21,950.

Any advice would be appreciated.

@stayghost said:
    wait a sec - do I only have "Business Days" to try and push for a good deal? (i.e. Thursday - Friday)? I was under the impression that since Sunday was the 31st I would be best off sending emails Friday and finalizing this weekend....

If one of your buying dealers is close on Sunday wrap up your deal with them on Sat night. Otherwise all dealerships open Sunday will be selling on there last day of the month.

Sat and Sunday is when the Fun starts watching your dealers sweat for your business. Hold out to the very end then make your best deal.

edited August 2014

@brian125 said:

Other than having the model price wrong your numbers are on point.

oops, sorry for the confusion Brian .... dumb typo on my part ... going for an CRV EX-L AWD

defnitely won't share the breakdown with any dealer, just my one "offer" price

edited August 2014

CRV, exl, awd invoice w/ dest charge = 28,164 apply this price instead of the other numbers I posted. you had the right price but wrong model.

edited August 2014

stayghost,

THERE are NO INCENTIVES/ DEALER CASH to FINANCE VEHICLE... Only 500 lease cash is available. If you wait till Sept, 6th, or 7th new incentives will come out for most of the car companies.

Invoice price on the 2014 Forester, 2.5i premium awd= 23,547 dest charge= 825 total = 24,372

2014 Subaru Forester 2.5i Premium 4dr AWD finance rates for qualified buyers: 1.9% APR for 36 months 1.9% APR for 48 months 2.9% APR for 63 months 1.9% APR for 24 months 2.9% APR for 72 months

Disclaimer Program - Subaru US Distribution Corp. (SDC-020) For qualified buyers. Not all buyers will qualify for the lowest rates. Must receive financing through Subaru Motors Finance (US). Residency restrictions apply. See dealer for details and for any other available terms and rates. Take retail delivery by 09/02/2014.

12 Months 1.9%

24 Months 1.9%

36 Months 1.9%

48 Months 1.9%

60 Months 2.9%

72 Months 2.9%

9/2/2014

• willigetacrvwilligetacrv Member Posts: 2

@brian125‌

What type of price should I be looking for in the Chicago area? I see mentioned here $1.5k to $2k below invoice. I'm looking at the 2014 CR-V LX AWD. TrueCar says invoice is $22,888 + $229 regional fees + $830 destination = $23,947. Should I go off of $23,947 or not count the regional fees? I also made a post up above that I'm not sure if you saw. I'm a new user and the post had to be approved before it was available. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

• elliefrelliefr Member Posts: 16

@brian125 Here is an email template to send to dealers that Brian posted in June,

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/4155198#Comment_4155198

And if you are just finding this forum, check out these recent posts by Brian:

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/4173479#Comment_4173479

continued here:

http://forums.edmunds.com/discussion/comment/4173480#Comment_4173480

THANK YOU FOR FINDING IT . I WILL POST IT AGAIN.

edited August 2014

June 29 edited June 29

Here is a good emailed format to any dealerships Internet MGR email address. This will break the ice and start you on your negotiation numbers. If any one dealer cant answer you back with honest answers with sale pricing x them off your list and move on.

Hi Mr xxx,

I am looking to buy a CRV today if we could agree on a price. Example:... CRV, exl , white, with splash guards and wheel locks, and trunk mat. No other option wanted. Or just tell them no options wanted. I have several offers from dealerships alot further than i want to travel but would like to give you my business being we are neighbors. I am contacting the 6 closet dealerships via email for the sale today to see if we could close this deal Now. I will travel next week to buy this vehicle if my price cant be matched or beat in my hometown.,

I will buy this vehicle from your dealership today securing the deal with a credit card deposit til I could get down to you. I have taken your doc fee's into consideration along with lowering my price to avoid traveling further than i want to go to buy this vehicle.

example: 1600 below dealers invoice price is what gets this deal done today. This price excludes any rebates, incentives, taxes etc. Or take your models invoice price add the 790 dest/charge then subtract your offer off that price 1400, 1600, 1800, 2K, etc. For a total price. This puts both you and dealer on the same page with no confusion with pricing on your model. NONE.

leave your cell number.

Send a similar email out to the rest of your targeted dealerships. Send out 20 of these emails.. You may find 6 dealerships may not respond , 5 dealerships may say no. The rest may compete for your business..

When i buy a vehicle I do something like this on the last days of what ever month i'm buying. The only difference is I want to talk to each internet mgr. on the phone ONE ON ONE. If any dealership is not honest or full of hot air you are terminated from earning my business.

This is how you play the game with these guys.. Take my email approach... Put my words into better English of coarse...LOL and go for it. My email is direct, puts each dealership on the spot for a immediate sale and gets rid of all the fakers and dealers that don't sell cars.

Remember any dealership that says I cant do xxx below invoice. your next question is ? How close can you get to my number for the sale today. Make each dealership commit to a price. Dealers that Can't answer that question with honesty or a price say good bye there not worth your time.

edited August 2014

@mdunne70 said: brian125 - I looked back at my notes and realized I already contacted Yonkers Honda via email in early july. The manager called me and simply said, "I cannot make that deal. Thank you." then he hung up.

In over 40 years of new car buying I will tell you all this: good deals are hard to come by in the beginning of any month. It happens but not that often and only educated or good negotiators may get the better pricing . End of the month is the best time to buy price wise and avoids all that dealer nonsense with price deception and there lies. How I know I'm right is every month I read these boards and folks are complaining about dealer not wanting to lower price / dealer did not call back/ dealer said come down / dealer said my target price is no good / dealer told me one price and when I went to dealership they changed it.. dealer added other fees in my price.. these are all the games dealers play with us thru out the month

@mdunne70 I'm not saying here getting a better deal like we see in other states is going to be easy........... in NY/ NJ buying a Accord, or CRV could get stressful the way dealers treat there buyers. dealers stick close by with pricing here.

Call internet mgr. at Yonkers on Aug, 30th and offer him your business again. This time make him commit to some kind of selling price before you move on . Then call New Rochelle again. Pricing will vary from month to month. Catch the right dealer on his supply and you will make a good deal.. Beginning of the month buying is a NO- NO. Dealers are to busy trying to make as much money off the un-educated buyers. They usually have no time for the smart buyer. Another problem is in the NY area pricing is a lot harder to get price like in other states. lower your offer... If you need to adjust your price up some $$$$ to make this deal............. then go up.

If I call the same 10 dealers each month for 3 months what happens is: the 1st month 3 of those dealers may give me close to my target price or meet it. the other 7 might not want to deal below a certain price . The next month 3 different dealers out of the 10 have better pricing. On the 3rd month 7 out of 10 dealers are competing hard for my business. Each month dealers sell vehicles according to there sales quota and incentive needs. getting many dealerships involved will help you make a better deal. You do this via emails and direct phone calls to the internet managers on the last 2days, last day of any month.

End of the month................... last 2 days, last day of any month is when you will have each dealers full attention. By you getting as many dealerships involved as far as your willing to travel will help you make the best possible deal. Phone calls and emails work very well. . If you are concentrating on just 4 dealers make your best deal with one of them within a 2 month time frame. Pricing may not be in your favor. Negotiate with 20 or 30 dealerships and that's where the party starts. This gives you the upper hand and leverage in price negotiations..

edited August 2014

I PRACTICE WHAT I PREACH. On Sat 8-30 all Chevy dealers Int/ Mgrs. will be man handled by me. I have not talked to one dealer yet. Starting Sat cause the 31st, falls on Sunday and several dealerships I want to call are closed . I have 2 sets of emails going out thru 3 states with a ridiculous price to buy on Sat....lol... these emails always breaks the ice with a few dealers looking to take my business away from where I want to buy. In addition I will make my phone calls to the rest of my 20 targeted dealerships for the local sale that day or the next. Within 1 hour time frame on Sat I might be in negotiations with over 15 dealerships in 3 boarding states looking to earn my business. Or a lot of times by the 3rd dealer I call my deal has been made. This is where your buying leverage is... emails and phone calls directly to these guys at months end. Your knowledge of knowing good pricing from bad helps you make the best possible deal. Most forum members do not know this. By you knowing what the national selling price is for Accords, CRV's, and what Your area's pricing is in your state with dealers is more than half the battle of getting that better deal . Now just apply some of these buying tips and advice will help you save 300 to maybe over 1000 dollars.

you will never hear me say to a NJ/ NY buyer go for 2500 below price. I know they will never get it. buying like I preach in NY/NJ will help you get from the dealers low pricing to that 1500 below or higher price goal. Other area's are better priced. just because they get a better price does not mean you will too.

Below is a post I wrote a few back. Gather the info in this email and apply it to your negotiations. It will help you. use this info to your advantage it applies to all car buying. Not just a Honda vehicle.

I'm helping someone buy a Chevy Cruze this month. I have my 20 targeted dealerships ready to go on my spread sheet with each dealers doc fee charge and the name of each dealers internet mgr / his email, and phone number. This is what I call doing your pre homework before you buy any vehicle. On August, 30th / 31st sometime in the afternoon I will go down my list call dealers and buy this vehicle with my target price holding sale with a credit card. It does not get easier than this. Buying the vehicle from the comfort of my house pitting one dealer against the next.... if I have to . A lot of you may not be able to buy a vehicle like I do . I am a expert negotiator doing this many, many years. So if you try to buy like this you may want to start your negotiation on the 2nd, or 3rd day before the end of the month.

Give it a try you wont be disappointed PLUS you will have avoided all that in showroom dealership BS. Dealers that wont negotiate online or by phone just discard there number there not worth your time.. Forum Members take note; where dealerships are limited this hurts your buying leverage price wise. You may have to go into these dealerships to make the deal. Just remember go in there on the last days of the month. apply the same tips and rules we speak about in here. Have a target price to buy, be firm with negotiating price and do your homework prior to buying. here is what else you need to think about.

Get loan pre-approval from another lender 1st.. Pen Fed credit union has great rates.

Contact your INS. company prior to sale . get fax numbers and names for dealers to contact.

Know all incentives and rebates that apply to you.

Have a high and low target price to buy.

Know WHAT THE DEALERS INVOICE PRICE IS FOR YOUR MODEL.

Know every dealers doc fee/ admin fee charge before you make a offer to buy

When your start your negotiation your buying leverage is putting each dealership on the spot .

Meet my price I buy today.

Pit one dealer against the next.

Say no to anything being sold in that back office. NO- NO- NO

Never buy any extended warranty if you have no clue what a fair price may be.

If there is something in the bill of sale that looks fishy Stop and question the dealer. Call him out. make them explain. Do not rush to sign paperwork or be rushed when closing your deal. That's when you are most vulnerable and will overlook something dealer added into your deal costing you $$$$$

Bring a calculator and big note pad into the dealership when your closing the deal

• aramarksoxaramarksox Member Posts: 4

hi all, I have two more questions regarding my recent purchase of Honda CRV LX AWD in MA.
    1. Does anyone know if I should still be getting charged the $135 state registration if I am transferring plates from another vehicle?
    2. Has anyone attempted to leverage a poor review based on poor experience as a negotiation tactic? "agree to this or else I will give your dealership a poor review." Because to be honest I did have a negative experience at the dealership. I see some people recommend offering 5 star reviews as incentive to bring down the sale price. Just curious.
    Thanks!

• kyfdxkyfdx Moderator Posts: 236,830

2014 CR-V has $750 lease cash, or $500 dealer cash, if you bring your own financing. No dealer cash if using Honda Finance financing.

Edmunds Price Checker
    Edmunds Lease Calculator
    Did you get a good deal? Be sure to come back and share!

Edmunds Moderator

edited August 2014

aramarksox,

Does anyone know if I should still be getting charged the $135 state registration if I am transferring plates from another vehicle?.............. Sounds alittle high for a plate transfer. all dealer is doing is filling out the DMV form with your info on it. I would question that charge.

2- Has anyone attempted to leverage a poor review based on poor experience as a negotiation tactic? "agree to this or else I will give your dealership a poor review."....... This is a great sales Tactic. When a dealer thinks his garbage don't stink. I like to chop them down to size. below would be some examples I may tell them.

Your int/ dept is clueless, they lie and deceive with pricing. or They do not know how to handle customers. Your salesman are rude, They do not know pricing. I bought here before your Service dept is Terrible. Your showroom never has the manufacturer books on models. Your dealership offer no car loaner service for repairs. Etc etc. I then might say you work with me on price and I will overlook your dealerships problems and give you a 5-star rating across the board. Do we have a deal???

A dealership may still not lower price. But if the things you are telling them hit home dealers may very well accommodate you price wise to make you a happy customer.

Dealers hate a bad review.. hate it. for Incentive reasons with there company.

@brian125 two questions ...

1.) does asking for options to be added etc. negatively affect your offer strategy?
    i.e if it's something they will have to install a kit for. I'm not certain if it won't matter because they would do it to make the sale; or they would be less likely to bite on the offer because it involves more.

2.) should we sandbag our initial offer so the dealership counters near our desired price?
    i.e. offer to buy at $25,000 and expecting to get a counter to land at $25,500 etc.

• rootstown1rootstown1 Member Posts: 4

Hi, guys,

A quick question about how to pit dealers against each other. Do you give just numbers or dealer names also? They usually asked for an offer in writing. 

I contacted more than 10 dealers around Cleveland OH for CRV LX AWD. Their offers are pretty close, less than $1000 below invoice. Are they working together to set the prices in an area? Now I am looking further at Columbus OH and Pittsburgh PA.

Thanks.

edited August 2014

stayghost

1- yes sometimes it does'. you want all installed items at invoice or close to them installed. I have made a good deal price wise but some dealers refused to install my items at invoice without me paying for some of the installation charges. Use your common sense on this one. dealer does not need to make 400 dollars to install splash guards and the rear spoiler. plus getting Invoice price for the item which they probably get a lot cheaper than listed .

2- use my target price as your guide and feel out dealers today and tomm. I'm not sure how far below dealers invoice your asking for to comment.

edited August 2014

@rootstown1 said:
    Hi, guys,

A quick question about how to pit dealers against each other. Do you give just numbers or dealer names also? They usually asked for an offer in writing. 

I contacted more than 10 dealers around Cleveland OH for CRV LX AWD. Their offers are pretty close, less than $1000 below invoice. Are they working together to set the prices in an area? Now I am looking further at Columbus OH and Pittsburgh PA.

you will find in certain area's dealers stick together with price. Sat and Sunday is when pricing changes and dealers looking for there sales quotas and incentives will compete for your business.

I would expand my search alittle further to see where pricing is. Remember if your asking dealers for there best price you get Nowhere fast. Negotiate with dealers like I posted in earlier posts. Stick with a target price till the very end of this month. then re-adjust if you have to.

edited August 2014

Yes use Names, numbers. There is also key wording dealers identify with.. Use them to help your deal.

Tell dealer x that dealer y who is 15 miles from you will do xx price but I'm holding out and not buying till I get close to xxx price. Call me back if you reconsider. here is my cell. I will be buying by Sat or Sun. I will be buying in PA on Sunday if OH. dealers wont match this price. I will buy today if you meet my price. Do you want the sale I'm ready. Yes or no . Give me your best counter offer for the sale RIGH NOW. The 1st dealer who agrees gets my business. There are 5 other dealers that are 500 dollars higher than your price. right now....Think about it. I'd rather buy from you . I'm willing to travel for the sale. X Honda in P.A. is willing to meet my price if I want to travel there. Don't be foolish take my money.

Use this kind of wording to talk with these guys. This is how you negotiate a better price.

• lok888lok888 Member Posts: 1,788

It is a waiting game my friends. It is 3 days before the month ends. Most dealers can only do $27.7K to $28K (with dest, charge) for this EX-L AWD with Navi.... which is about $1500 under invoice. I asked for $2000 under invoice.

I am going to send one more email to the dealerships with my cell number on it saying I will be traveling for the long weekend but I will do business with one of them if they meet my price.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454

Another technique is to tell the dealer you are cross-shopping other cars, like the Rogue or CX-5. That gives you an easy excuse to leave the dealership if you are uncomfortable with simply walking out and may help get a lower number too.

• carey12carey12 Member Posts: 8

Does anyone know if the upcoming 2015 model will have the new CVT tranny? We need to be able to flat tow behind our motorhome....my understanding is that will not be possible with a CVT tranny. Thx

• sjytansjytan Member Posts: 4

Hi everyone, I am a newbie at edmunds. I would like to ask some advises from experienced buyer of Honda CRV.
    I am planning to get CRV EX trim but not very sure if I have to wait until 2015 model release or just grab the 2014 model. So far I have asked about 3 dealers and the lowest quote I got is:

MSRP $26,050.00
    Sales Price
    $22,913.44
    Accessories $412.00
    Total Sale Price $23,325.44
    Tax (6.25%) $1,457.84
    VIT $59.90
    Title & License Fees $275.00
    Total Drive Out $25,118.18 (includes destination charge $830.00, and also includes window tint$312.00, and nitrogen filled tires $99.00).

I am not sure if this is a good deal or not? I have read some articles, roughly speaking, it said I will approximately get the same quote for 2015 CRV EX if I can wait until December and by then, the 2014 CRV EX will have huge discount on the left over (may be around $23K). Is that true? Please Advise, thank you for all your time.

sjytan

Every month past Sept your 2014 model crv models, and colors will be very limited. you may have to settle on a higher trim line costing you more $$$. especially if you wait past Oct .

Invoice price on CRV ex, 2wd = 24,513 w dest charge include

invoice price on CRv ex, awd = 25,683 w/ dest charge inc.

Your target price to buy is 1500 to 2k below dealers invoice. getting the higher number 2k will depend on your area, dealers supply and demand , how good you could negotiate.

so my emails went out and counter offers are trickling back. At this point do I respond to each one and push them to do better? Should I wait to respond until tomorow morning to make them sweat? Or say nothing and make them really nervous?

as an aside - I got one offer back for $1900 below invoice. Minus the doc fee and the dealer cash I guess that is a $1000 discount below invoice they are offering.

edited August 2014

I'm noticing this in the fine print of emails "New Honda pricing is valid exclusively on current dealer in-stock inventory, and requires the vehicle to be leased through American Honda Finance Corporation or ** financed through a dealership indirect lender at time of purchase** , no exceptions."

Does that mean the quotes they sent me mean nothing? (since I intend to bring my own financing)

edited August 2014

Dealers make money packaging loans. So yeah, if you don't use Honda or the dealer's bank, you may not get as good a deal.

And it's possible that the dealer can meet or beat your own financing rate so don't rule it out immediately.

Oh, probably doesn't matter much - I think I'd let a wad of quotes come in before responding to any though.

@stever Thanks--I was wondering the same thing about the responses. I have a couple of them who want to know how or where I came up with my price. I know the wrong answer is because Brian suggested it. :-) I also have two dealers who say they will take my price. I've sent them a response asking for the total out the door price. I find it unlikely they are going to accept that price without any dickering since I've had two dealers bow out. I also have some that haven't responded.

I know I shouldn't do this but I am focused on a particular color. But I am also very much focused on my budget. I have concerns that if I wait until Sunday, my color will sell out (there are about 37 or so in the area). I have some dealers who tell me they don't have my color but they can get it for me, at no extra charge. Can I trust that? If I can get the deal, I can wait a few days for the car. I'm willing to hold out until Sunday if that's what I need to do to get the best deal.

I am headed to a movie so I take some time away from this project. Then a good night's sleep and we'll see how things go tomorrow. Good luck to everyone!

@elliefr said:
    stever Thanks--I was wondering the same thing about the responses. I have a couple of them who want to know how or where I came up with my price. I know the wrong answer is because Brian suggested it. :-) I also have two dealers who say they will take my price.

LOL. We may make @brian125 really famous.

If you have two dealers meeting your price, why not do the deal (assuming they have your color)?

And yeah, dealers do swaps all the time and it's usually painless.

hey Stever,

Are you by the Don Imus ranch in New Mexico. Don has that kids for cancer held at his ranch every year.. I listen to him every morning before going off to play golf in NY/NJ on 770 am.

edited August 2014

@elliefr and @stayghost

If the 2 agreeing dealers are further than any dealerships closer to you see if the closer ones will match/ beat for the immediate sale. Let each dealer know WHEN I hang up with you I'm going over to X Honda to buy vehicle .. Do you want the sale or are you going to let x Honda steal it from you.. tell dealers exactly what I said it works most of the time.. you have every dealers back to the wall with making you a better offer or they lose you to x Honda's dealership......... Play the game.

Your cards say you have 4 aces in your hand.

You are both in the drivers seat. like the 1978 song from.............. Sniff n tears.

Have fun Tomorrow............ I'm going to be kicking Chevy butt myself Tomm. Cant wait.. lol

Thanks @Brian125 .. you're kinda making me look forward to waking up tomorrow, grabbing a coffee and bullying these dealers!

@brian125 said:
    hey Stever,

Are you by the Don Imus ranch in New Mexico. Don has that kids for cancer held at his ranch every year.. I listen to him every morning before going off to play golf in NY/NJ on 770 am.

I'm camping a couple of hours NW of there right now at a hot springs spa sort of near Espanola. Can't recall being on the road between Santa Fe and Las Vegas NM where Imus's ranch appears to be, although we were in Mora not too long ago and that's sort of close. One of these days.

We're moving to Las Cruces permanently on Monday.

• tsc4tsc4 Member Posts: 5

Please help. I want to purchase a 2014 CRV EX AWD in NC this weekend (I see the model available in inventory on several local websites). I understand the concept of offering invoice price minus 1500-2000 (24,853+830 destination-2000 below invoice discount=23,683). What I dont understand is, how to figure out what other incentives exist at any given time. I also don't know how to predict what fees are going to be required when the deal is finalized (I imagine this is part of the game dealer's play). Assuming I can calculate what the NC tax will be (giving me the final out the door price), how do I know what a good pre-tax out the door price is? Thanks in advance!

@stever @brian125 The reason I didn't accept the offer is because I didn't have the total itemized list. I just ran the numbers for total out the door based on my numbers for the TTL. For one dealer, if I have my math right, the OTD price they sent me has an extra $1,000 hidden in there somewhere. So I want the itemized list. The other one said he would match it but hasn't yet sent that itemized list or total out-the-door price. I don't want to show up on the lot and then have other fees show up. Also, they don't have my color but they say they can locate one for me. I have one dealer that is closer who has been working with me, until I sent my note today. Haven't heard from him.

I like to fish. I am very patient. I can wait. When I get my price, I will check with a closer dealer but if it works out with one of these other two, they aren't too far away.

Brian--I'm sure you will do well on your Chevy deal!

@tsc4 I'm sure Brian and Steve will have info on this. Here is an Edmunds article: http://www.edmunds.com/car-buying/what-fees-should-you-pay.html Here is a list of NC fees..scroll down towards the bottom to see vehicle fees: http://www.ncdot.gov/dmv/fees/ Also, Carmax has a calculator to calculate fees based on your state: http://www.carmax.com/enus/tax-title-tags-fees-calculator/default.html

• carey12carey12 Member Posts: 8

Does anyone know if $2000 under invoice is possible in Southern California? Does the Honda Finance promo effect the deal?

This discussion has been closed.